India-Russia: News & Analysis

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Re: India-Russia: News & Analysis

Post by Mort Walker »

Karan M wrote: Just coming up with some random stuff. "Random gun violence" apparently. As versus "non random gun violence". I think only somebody who is so completely lopsided in his Russia hate, whilst trying to raise specific other countries on a pedestal as you seem to be, can't acknowledge that like many societies the US too has severe issues. You flag issue X. For the US or India, issue Y may be a different issue which is far worse.

What most of us get, and you can't seem to, is most Indians realize the value of Russia & ties remain strong. Learn to live with it. We couldn't give a darn about "negative stuff" in the US as well, but for sections in the US doing their "civilize the heathens" stuff.

That sort of thing is what irritates people. And of course the strategic policies taken by the US are often at loggerheads with Indian interests. Its the sanctimony of pushing "we are right, y'all's interests dont matter" is what grates. Otherwise India (and Indians) happily find their own way and path.

LOL, it won't it won;t...but if it does...

The FGFA is a HCA, not a LCA. Its the logical replacement of the Su-30 MKI. If you had said AMCA it may have made some rationale.

The IAF wants a non sanctionable 5G fighter, ergo the FGFA.
1. No one is living under a rock, but pretending everything is just fine and looking the other way is another matter - especially when it comes to Russia. You are deliberately obfuscating the issue when it comes to Russian racism and trying to equate it to the real problems of India-US relations. Even with defense deals of $50 billion plus over a decade, India-Russia trade is declining. Russia is becoming less important to India, than to SE Asia, China or the US.
2. Russia ties are strong today because of legacy defense deals and the purchase of nuclear reactors. By 2020 these "strong" ties will diminish because Russia will no longer be able to timely supply goods and services be it on their reactors or weapon systems. The only option for a large country like India is to build up its own military-industrial complex. This is done not with a reliance on Russian technology, but a cooperation between government-academia-industry. Anything any of us say about "learn to live with it" matters none. India-Russia relations by the numbers is declining, sure there is nothing wrong in giving lip service to it, but others in this forum are stuck in the 1970s.
3. The FGFA was agreed upon over 8 years ago before Gorshkov, Akula deliveries and other deals in light of the success of the Brahmos which India had more control of in development. In that time it has sucked up tens of billions of India's funds which could have been used for the LCA. A comparison of the FGFA to LCA is entirely relevant from an operational and fiscal point of view. The funds could have been used to push the LCA in numbers of several hundred by today and the MMRCA or Rafale would not have been needed. I'll take 10 LCA before a single FGFA or any other 5th gen fighter. Even purchasing more Su-30MKI would have been better than the FGFA. Who know what FGFA will be in unit price for India, over $120 million? One thing I agree with Philip is that the services have to live within fiscal reality and fight wars with that constraint. A 5th gen fighter can be eschewed with several hundred home grown Tejas MkI/MkII and home grown AWACS.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Mort Walker wrote:1. No one is living under a rock, but pretending everything is just fine and looking the other way is another matter - especially when it comes to Russia. You are deliberately obfuscating the issue when it comes to Russian racism and trying to equate it to the real problems of India-US relations. Even with defense deals of $50 billion plus over a decade, India-Russia trade is declining. Russia is becoming less important to India, than to SE Asia, China or the US.
Since you seem to be suffering from profound taqleef due to Russia being liked by Indians, here is the issue again, so that you get it this time.

Your claims of Russian racism being some sort of all pervading issue are not credible, there are many reports on the matter and many of us have had opportunity to look into it. They range from attacks on Indians to people having glowing experiences. Its sad that there are neo nazi Skinheads in Russia who spit on their own country's fight against fascism and its ties to other countries and the Soviet Unions wide and varied ethnic mix. Its the same way we'd be sad that any country has such dolts within its country. Knowing the challenges India is going through in managing its own issues would usually make us circumspect about other countries as well, unless they act snooty.

They are furthermore irrelevant to the issue of Indo-Russian strategic ties which are beyond these irritants since the Russians neither hector India on its foreign policy publicly, nor do they send missionaries to convert Indians or engage in free armament transfers to Pakistan.

On the other hand, they do back India on important strategic security initiatives, enable its nuclear deterrence via transfer of technology for its preeminent fighter program, plus its nuclear submarine program as well as its nuclear reactor technology. These aspects along with the energy reserves Russia has, its permanent UNSC seat will make it a continued important partner for India going forward.

These are balanced out vs Russia's occasional glitch vs its committed supplies, its sales to PRC and so forth. If you merely gauge relations via trade, India's "trade" with PRC will dwarf many other nations. PRC is actually a strategic competitor for India. Doesn't mean though we can't cooperate on areas where it benefits India.

In fact, purely given strategic concerns, its in India;s interest that Russia remain strong to balance out US or western power and provide an alternate power center and armament supplier which can be relied on till the date India's MIC is strong enough to meet all its own needs or most of them.

The rise of PRC in a similar manner, while not to India's interest actually helps to make the US accommodate Indian concerns better.

In the same vein, Indo-US trade ties make those ties important as versus the aforementioned irritants of "supahpahwah" stuff which your posts also demonstrate. The more India and US trade, share military training, the more it acts to keep PRC on their backfoot.

Similarly, your complete inability to acknowledge the problems in Indo-US relations and your tendency to jump on Russia as an excuse to compensate does not make for a compelling argument. US has issues. But frank fact of life -most Indians don't care for another nations internal issues & think it infra-dig to comment. Unfortunately, the behavior of some khan busy bodies who go around acting snooty with other folks has Indians wade into the sludge.

And so it goes.

In short India balances its relationship with multiple power groups in order to ensure its interests are served and will continue to do so. And Russia offers a compelling proposition for India to continue to engage with it.

Your response on the other hand has been Russians suck!! Putin is a meanie!! Russia bad 3rd world country!! Russians are racist!! It doesn't make for any compelling argument.
2. Russia ties are strong today because of legacy defense deals and the purchase of nuclear reactors. By 2020 these "strong" ties will diminish because Russia will no longer be able to timely supply goods and services be it on their reactors or weapon systems. The only option for a large country like India is to build up its own military-industrial complex. This is done not with a reliance on Russian technology, but a cooperation between government-academia-industry. Anything any of us say about "learn to live with it" matters none. India-Russia relations by the numbers is declining, sure there is nothing wrong in giving lip service to it, but others in this forum are stuck in the 1970s.
Unfortunately, the human beings on this forum don't have the perspicacity and sagacity which you possess by virtue of your amazing crystal ball which seems to look into specific points in time, such as 2020.

Five years from now by which, magically "strong ties will perish because Russia will no longer be able to supply XYZ". On the contrary, judging by recent news, ties with Russia may actually accelerate, given a strong nationalist Govt is in power till 2019 which will build up its own MIC, yes, but also make sure ties with traditional, reliable suppliers like Russia are maintained on an even keel.

Funnily enough Russia has been pumping huge amounts of money into its MIC and the results are now more and more obvious.

For somebody accusing others of living in the 1970's, you seem to be reliving the Cold War all over again. Meanwhile:

- More Arihant class subs (more orders for Russian factories which provide key items)
- Brahmos NG program and Brahmos-M program (again with Russian involvement)
- Ka226 program for the IA/IAF
- Assistance with several classified strategic programs
- Nuclear program/civil

These are barely the tip of the iceberg as our ties with Russia involve strategic areas where which we don't publicize.

While India will and should build up its own MIC, its ties with Russia will likely remain strong & even move to the next level as Indian R&D starts looking towards funding more and more ambitious ventures, which Russia has been traditionally ok with, but which alarm the west.
3. The FGFA was agreed upon over 8 years ago before Gorshkov, Akula deliveries and other deals in light of the success of the Brahmos which India had more control of in development. In that time it has sucked up tens of billions of India's funds
Please prove where exactly those numbers tens of billions are coming from. This sort of hyperbole is what makes your arguments unsustainable.

So far, India has invested Rs 1,418 Crore in the FGFA. That translates to around 14 Billion rupees and $236 Million, which is entirely reasonable given the quantum of effort.

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease. ... lid=121471
which could have been used for the LCA. A comparison of the FGFA to LCA is entirely relevant from an operational and fiscal point of view. The funds could have been used to push the LCA in numbers of several hundred by today and the MMRCA or Rafale would not have been needed. I'll take 10 LCA before a single FGFA or any other 5th gen fighter. Even purchasing more Su-30MKI would have been better than the FGFA. Who know what FGFA will be in unit price for India, over $120 million? One thing I agree with Philip is that the services have to live within fiscal reality and fight wars with that constraint. A 5th gen fighter can be eschewed with several hundred home grown Tejas MkI/MkII and home grown AWACS.
Unfortunately, $236 Million committed for the FGFA PDA even if transferred for the LCA would have merely made the IAFs 5G plans more stretched & risky, which is not a good thing given the threats we face. $236 Million would have bought us 8-10 more LCAs not the "numbers of several hundred by today" and so forth.

Operational point of view comparing the LCA to the FGFA is meaningless. One is a lightweight fighter of 4G+, other a LO,5G, long range platform.
Purchasing more Su-30 would not add anywhere near the strike power the FGFA will. Kindly see the IADS our primary opponent has and then reassess.

As regards agreeing with Philip, I have to grin here, its literally a ROTFL moment. You quote the most rabid pro Russian on this forum to justify some sort of anti FGFA diatribe. If anything Philip would probably shut down all acquisitions in the IAF in favor of the FGFA. :lol:
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Viv S wrote:For the record, yes, I believe if they reimburse Russian R&D expenses they will be fools to do so. Or to be more generous, they are people who are part of a system that finds it hard to oppose bureaucratic & diplomatic inertia. And to be even more generous, the fact that they have deferred the main FGFA deal umpteen times suggests that there is resistance to shooting oneself in the foot.
I just support IAF/GOI decision to go for FGFA deal , sounds win win for both the countries with India having much better say than MKI program.

Do we know what level of ToT would be provided? Do we know how its reliability & maintainability stats stack up, and what potential fixes would cost? And above all - do we know what the Russians will charge for each PAK FA? So why this insistence on paying first and seeing later?

Thats the way JV works , if this was a squadron ready aircraft there wont be the kind of JV India is looking for say eg Rafale Deal where only Lic TOT and Radar Source Code was asked for even then French are making a fuss integrating Astra while MKI integrates it as part of system.

The Risk for PMF would be minimal as most flight testing for PAK-FA would be done and India Test pilot would be testing it and would have it in squadron service.

I dont expect a GOI to come with a white paper on PMF nor for Rafale Deal or any other deal to show how much nut bolt was part of TOT or JV but eventually we would come to know from HAL/IAF etc

I support Rafale and FGFA deal both are good for the nation and coming from country who have been reliable , I just hope they purchase 4-5 squadron Rafale and we dont have to go back M2K like decision.

If You or Others here dont like the decision , Well cant help much LIVE WITH IT :P

Ofcourse I Also support GOI desicion for C-17 and P-8I purchase from US its a good deal :D
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Mort Walker wrote:NRao mentioned the US as well along with other countries being China and Russia. I don't think you pro-Russian fellows want to listen to anything negative about Russia. We need a "Positive News from Russia" thread here to keep objectivity.
I didnt see him mention US in that post hence I mentioned.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

panduranghari wrote:Russia is very untrustworthy because the Chinese have them over the barrel of the gun. Russia cannot deal with both India and China at the same time. They have to choose, unlike now.
US has good business relation with China and India , China being their number one trading partner and largest holder of Foreign Treasury

Dont mingle business with politics bad for both atleast that is a Chinese proverb :lol:
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Wokay lets get down to business now

ONGC Said to Seek $900 Million Stake in Rosneft Vankor Field
ONGC Videsh Ltd. is in discussions to purchase a share of the Vankor oil field in East Siberia, said the people, who asked not to be identified because discussions are ongoing. The New Delhi-based company is seeking to pay $900 million for the stake, which will secure about 3.5 million metric tons of oil a year (about 70,290 barrels a day), and expects to sign a deal as early as next month, one of the people said.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Austin wrote:I just support IAF/GOI decision to go for FGFA deal , sounds win win for both the countries with India having much better say than MKI program.
1. If the MoD had made a firm decision on the matter, the program wouldn't still be stuck in the preliminary stage.

2. What 'say' do we have when it comes to the cost of the aircraft? What other option will we have but to toe the Russian line?
Thats the way JV works , if this was a squadron ready aircraft there wont be the kind of JV India is looking for say eg Rafale Deal where only Lic TOT and Radar Source Code was asked for even then French are making a fuss integrating Astra while MKI integrates it as part of system.
:shock:

Don't tell me you still subscribe to the notion that the aircraft will have any substantial Indian input?!! I would have expected you of all people to be aware of the extent to which the aircraft has already been developed.

The Rafales proposed to India are NOT 'squadron ready'. If ordered they will all go through a mild customization, same as the the PAK FA.

As for the Astra, the French are making a fuss because they'd like to extract the maximum out of the Indian exchequer. Either through integration work or through MICA sales.

Its the same for Russians who have also decided to withhold a degree of ToT on the PAK FA and are just as eager to sell as many Russian munitions as possible.

Difference of course is that with the French we have negotiating leverage, in the option to walk away, but with the Russians you're happy to see that leverage simply discarded.
The Risk for PMF would be minimal as most flight testing for PAK-FA would be done and India Test pilot would be testing it and would have it in squadron service.

I dont expect a GOI to come with a white paper on PMF nor for Rafale Deal or any other deal to show how much nut bolt was part of TOT or JV but eventually we would come to know from HAL/IAF etc
The financial risk is by no means mitigated.

And the basic question still remains - what would we be able to squeeze out of the Russians today that we wouldn't manage in another 7 years, when a mature variant is available for export?

We'll have far greater negotiating power resulting in a better deal on prices and ToT/industrial participation.
I support Rafale and FGFA deal both are good for the nation and coming from country who have been reliable , I just hope they purchase 4-5 squadron Rafale and we dont have to go back M2K like decision.
A 4.5 gen aircraft at (significantly more than) 5th gen prices is very clearly a terrible deal.
If You or Others here dont like the decision , Well cant help much LIVE WITH IT
Err.. I don't recall proposing all BRFites get together and sign a suicide pact. :P

We'll of course have to 'live with it', just like we have to live with the MoD's decisions on the Arjun/T-90.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

On racism in russia...

I don't have personal experience with russia. I lived in US for a year and in finland for 3 years.

Finland borders russia and has cultural similarities. My experience of finland was that it was a big ghetto(IOW, racist). They preferred to live among themselves and didn't hide it. Usually, a diaspora lives like that but this was an entire countrys population.

My experience of the US was a contrast.
------------

Although I would like to point out that you guys are wrong in mixing foreign policy with your interactions with their society.

The russian culture is communal but they mind their own business. They don't interfere outside their culture. Their culture doesn't have colonial ambitions like the west. Even though I have positive experiences in the US, I found their civilization to be a hazard. My stories of finland are not pleasant but oddly I found their culture to be our ally. Maybe its because they lived like us and a reflection of our culture.

This is hard for me to explain but take my report for whatever its worth.
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

Don't know where and how you lived. I lived in Finland 13 years and have nothing but positive things to say about Finns and Finland. Do you speak and read Finnish ?. They are a shy and reserved people, to call them racist is a misunderstanding of the first degree.
nvishal wrote:On racism in russia...

I don't have personal experience with russia. I lived in US for a year and in finland for 3 years.

Finland borders russia and has cultural similarities. My experience of finland was that it was a big ghetto(IOW, racist). They preferred to live among themselves and didn't hide it. Usually, a diaspora lives like that but this was an entire countrys population.

My experience of the US was a contrast.
------------

Although I would like to point out that you guys are wrong in mixing foreign policy with your interactions with their society.

The russian culture is communal but they mind their own business. They don't interfere outside their culture. Their culture doesn't have colonial ambitions like the west. Even though I have positive experiences in the US, I found their civilization to be a hazard. My stories of finland are not pleasant but oddly I found their culture to be our ally. Maybe its because they lived like us and a reflection of our culture.

This is hard for me to explain but take my report for whatever its worth.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Karan M wrote: Please prove where exactly those numbers tens of billions are coming from. This sort of hyperbole is what makes your arguments unsustainable.

So far, India has invested Rs 1,418 Crore in the FGFA. That translates to around 14 Billion rupees and $236 Million, which is entirely reasonable given the quantum of effort.

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease. ... lid=121471

Unfortunately, $236 Million committed for the FGFA PDA even if transferred for the LCA would have merely made the IAFs 5G plans more stretched & risky, which is not a good thing given the threats we face. $236 Million would have bought us 8-10 more LCAs not the "numbers of several hundred by today" and so forth.
That is for the preliminary design as of 2013. India will pay another $6-$10 billion for further development that is being worked out or GoI has worked this out and is silent about it. Before the IAF sees the PAK-FA, the plan is to have variants for the RuAF by 2017, but guess what? Russia is too dependent on energy prices and its economy is contracting. At the earliest it will be 2020 for RuAF and there is absolutely no way in hell Russia will pay their share of development for the IAF to have theirs at the same time. Two things will happen, either India will pay significantly more or the FGFA program will get delayed, or maybe both. I am not advocating walking away as it would cause too much damage to India-Russia relations and other programs, but the GoI appears to be slowing down on paying for further development. If they don't it will cause damage to domestic aircraft development. The PAK-FA will come sometime between 2025-2030 for the IAF at current pace.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

^^ You claimed India has spent billions already. It hasn't. Enough said.
As regards Russia not spending on the 5G program, its a militarized state in many senses. It spends a ton on its defences even as its economic indices remain flat. And $6-10 Billion for the FGFA? 5G doesn't come cheap. Heck, MMRCA is $20Bn and FGFA overall is planned for around the same amount.
So, time will tell and more likely than not with MMRCA in doldrums we will refocus on FGFA.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Around $250 million as of 2013, to date we don't know how much more, but since the Russians haven't been complaining about India's funding it would be safe to assume the money pipeline is open. It does appear the GoI is aware of Russian contract shenanigans and is going slower than anticipated. The $6-10 billion does not include all production costs. India wanted 140-180 of the FGFA at a cost of $100 million per unit. The worst part is that India has paid for development and may not get much out of it. The MMRCA has been cancelled since the costs escalated from $11 billion to $20 billion. IMHO, I expect the FGFA to be scaled back significantly or quietly dropped for cost escalation plus failure of Russians to honor contracts, and India takes advantage of getting the radar, EW suite, and engine development. The IAF will have to live with good 4-4.5 gen fighters. The Chinese 5th gen is probably put together with rubber bands and strings, the Pakis have their own issues.

On another note, I am curiously awaiting to see if Russia is ready to lease another Akula I or II to India. On this I am having my doubts as India under the current government is ready, but Russia is not for various reasons. Maybe unkil is pressuring, maybe Russia wants to milk India further.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

$250 million is what it spent till date nothing less or more that was clarified by MOD , Further spending will be subject to agreement by both sides that hopefully would happen soon.

Unkil is pressurizing , that would be funny they would sell more if that were to be the case , Akula deal would be under negotiation and likely they wont disclose it till the last moment when it ready for commisioning as it happend in last deal.

I suspect you are here for FUD looking at all your post , but that has it own fun too :lol:
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Thought this is a nice article.

India and Russia in a Changing World

Seriously?
owever, the economic component in the relationship has been an area of concern for way too long. It is striking that the current volume of bilateral trade, at around $11 bn per annum, is far below potential. The turnover targets set for $10 bn by 2010 and $15 bn by 2015 in the earlier summits have remained elusive. In contrast, bilateral trade between India and China, despite serious unresolved political issues, is to the tune of $70 bn. Russo–Chinese trade stands close to $100 bn.
Just checked with the Indian embassy:http://indianembassy.ru/index.php?optio ... 06&lang=en

It was below $10 billion last year and this year thru June it is just over $3 billion.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

@Austin:How does advocating the JSF make someone pseudo Indian?

I, for one, would prefer to see the highly cost depreciated and amortized JSF with India . The JSF is the new F 16 - produced in bulk for the world.

The Russian capabilities on the FGFA are not validated by anything in the past. The Americans have been making stealth airframes since the F117. There is only one game in town as regards highly advanced materials for the coatings that go on top of the shape of the aircraft to lower its radar reflections. No one has those and everyone is likely to be far behind the leaders. The amount of capex that is required to do MatSci research for advanced coatings is huge and apart from the US and China, not too many countries are expected to be able to have it.

Also, the UI/UX work done on the MMI of the JSF is also quite superior.

Both the MatSci and the CompSci/ systems work that has been done, proves that the US has it, when it comes to 5th gen. No amount of supermaneuverability will be able to change first look/first engage advantages that they have.

Thus, the JSF.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

^^ JSF is not part of any official procurement discussion as of now so no point in discussing about it and even if India decides to buy it it will be a long drown out process as we know how defence procurement works in this country

I would advocate India buy B-2 Bomber or lease Virginia SSN as its best out there but thats my wishlist.
Last edited by Austin on 17 Aug 2015 15:56, edited 2 times in total.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

India To Expand Its Presence In Russia

On the eve of the Independence day Ambassador of India to Russia Pundi Srinivasan Raghavan gave an interview to Sputnik agency. Accepting the greetings of our correspondent Natalya Benykh, the Ambassador answered her questions:
Question: What aspects of the Indo-Russian dialogue are most relevant and important at present?

Answer: The India-Russia dialogue continues to be vibrant and all-encompassing. We have recently had visits to Russia of our President (for the Victory Day commemoration) and our Prime Minister (to Ufa for the BRICS and SCO Summits). These provided the opportunity for an extensive discussion in all areas of bilateral cooperation between our leaders and President Putin. We are making progress on all areas covered in the bilateral joint statement issued during President Putin’s visit to India in December 2014. I am sure we will see the results at the next Annual Summit meeting in Russia towards the end of this year.

Q.: What is the assessment of the Indian side of BRICS & SCO Summits outcomes?

A.: Our PM attended both the BRICS and SCO Summits. The significant outcomes of the BRICS Summit are encapsulated in the Ufa Declaration which clearly demonstrates the convergence of views of the BRICS countries on major international political, security and economic developments. This is an important outcome in the endeavour to project the interests and aspirations of our countries in a multipolar world. I would also draw your attention to the New Development Bank which was established at the Ufa Summit and the agreement on the Contingency Reserve Arrangement. They express the agreement of our countries to take concrete measures to promote development projects within our countries and to create a currency safety net. These are significant achievements. As far as SCO is concerned, we welcome the fact that the Ufa Summit initiated the process of induction of India as a full member of SCO. Our Prime Minister expressed to President Putin his warm appreciation of the role that Russia has played in making this happen.

Q.: Russia and India both are interested in further and significant growth of the mutual trade & economic relations, and to increase mutual investment. Yet there is no breakthrough! What is required for this? What is being done?

A.: It would be incorrect to say that there is no breakthrough in trade and economic relations. A number of activities are taking place and are leading towards positive conclusions. We signed an agreement in June for setting up a Joint Study Group on a Free Trade Agreement between India and the Eurasian Economic Union and already in July the first meeting of this Group was held to identify the scope and timelines for the Study. We are expanding trade in egg powder and bovine meats and are progressing towards an agreement for Indian exports of dairy products to Russia. There have been increased exchanges of business visitors between the two countries. At the forthcoming MAKS Air Show on August 25, we expect to see a large number of Indian companies interested in business, including joint ventures, with Russian companies in both the civilian and defence sectors. We have also made progress in multilateral discussions on activation of the International North-South Transport Corridor. I would say there is considerable action and we will start seeing the results.

Q.: Russian and Indian businesses are keen in the establishment of the North-South Transport Corridor, which will significantly fasten the transportation of goods from South Asia to the Russian Federation, CIS and Europe. Has there been any progress in the implementation of this project?

A.: A meeting of all stakeholders in the International North-South Transport Corridor (INSTC) was held in Mumbai in June 2015. It was well-attended, including by an important delegation from Russia, and resulted in a number of useful and practical suggestions for further action. This meeting is being followed up with meetings of the INSTC Experts’ Group and the INSTC Council later this month. There is also a separate initiative for a meeting of Customs officials of Russia, India, Iran and Azerbaijan. The tempo of meetings shows that all the concerned countries feel that we are reaching an important stage in the discussions.

Q.: In India, the programme ‘Make in India’, initiated by Narendra Modi, is gaining momentum? What is Russia’s participation in that?

A.: Russian companies have shown considerable interest in the ‘Make in India’ initiative. The joint manufacture of Ka-226 helicopters in India has already been mentioned as the first India-Russia Make in India project. Discussions are continuing on this project. Meanwhile, a number of other project proposals are under discussion at various levels.

Q.: Is Indian business availing the opportunity of Russia being under Western sanctions and in which areas, to expand trade and economic ties with our country?

A.: I have often said that we do not need external reasons for strengthening trade and economic ties between our two countries. This objective is intrinsic in our special and privileged partnership. Of course, Indian companies will take every new opportunity that is available to expand their presence in Russia.

Q.: It is well known that India is interested to interact with the Eurasian Economic Union. What is expected of this interaction? Will that give, according to the Indian side, a sizeable acceleration to the bilateral trade and investment between India and Russia?

A.: We believe that a closer engagement between India and Eurasian Economic Union could greatly expand the volume and diversity of trade between India and of the countries of the Eurasian Economic Union with each of which India already has close political and economic relations. We hope that this engagement will eventually go beyond a Free Trade Agreement and encompass the entire range of economic cooperation.

Q.: What is the Indian side assessment of collaboration with Russia in the sphere of defence?

A.: Our collaboration in the sphere of defence is progressing well. At their meetings in December 2014 and in July 2015 our leaders reviewed the progress in various projects and we have no doubt that we will see a number of significant announcements by the time of the Summit meeting towards the end of this year.

Q.: During the SCO Summit in Ufa, the process to give India full membership of this regional organization was started. Many other countries, including Pakistan, are also interested in becoming full member of the SCO. The SCO pays much heed to strengthening security in the region; can becoming full members of the SCO give an additional boost in normalizatioon of relations between India and Pakistan?

A.: We consider the SCO an important regional mechanism for cooperation in regional security, counter-terrorism, energy, transport, connectivity and culture. The Ufa Summit commenced the process of induction of India and Pakistan to full membership of the SCO. India is now working with SCO to complete the process for becoming a full member. India will continue to participate in activities and initiatives of SCO. As per the well-known convention for multilateral groupings of this nature, we do not bring our bilateral relations with any country into deliberations of the SCO.

Q.: Mr. Ambassador, returning to the Independence Day of India, which you are celebrating in Russia. What events are being organized, and in which regions of the Russian Federation?

A.: We celebrate the Independence Day in Russia at flag-hoisting ceremonies in our Embassy in Moscow and our Consulates General in St. Petersburg and Vladivostok. Indian citizens, people of Indian origin and other friends of India are welcome at this traditional event. Independence Day is also celebrated by Indian community organisations and Indian students in various locations in Russia through a variety of cultural events.
Read more: http://in.sputniknews.com/south_asia/20 ... z3j4PpASuG
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Unlike the US,Russia stands by India.

http://in.rbth.com/world/2015/08/15/rus ... -sc_390367
Russia supports applications of India, Brazil for permanent membership in UN SC

15 August 2015 TASS
Russia supports the applications of India and Brazil for permanent membership in UN Security Council,while the presence of an African country in this structure is also necessary, Russian Foreign Ministry Sergey Lavrov told TASS First Deputy Director General Mikhail Gusman in an exclusive interview ahead of the next session of the UN General Assembly devoted to the 70 anniversary of the United Nations.

Russia supports the applications of India and Brazil for permanent membership in UN Security Council, while the presence of an African country in this structure is also necessary, Russian Foreign Ministry Sergey Lavrov told TASS First Deputy Director General Mikhail Gusman in an exclusive interview ahead of the next session of the UN General Assembly devoted to the 70 anniversary of the United Nations.

Lavrov said that "UN Security Council remains viable and preserves everything necessary to play a central role in solving international crises in the future." "It was reformed. The number of UN Security Council members was increased from 11 to 15, and now a new wave of expansion is being discussed," he reminded.

"We support this process. We think that developing countries of Asia, Africa and Latin America are under-represented in UN Security Council. That is why we support applications of India and Brazil for permanent membership in Security Council," Lavrov stressed. "We think that the African continent should be similarly represented in the structure because, I will stress it again, developing countries are under-represented and their role is insufficient in the work of this main institution."

However, it is important to promote such a reform "that will not make UN Security Council uncontrolled, exceedingly amorphous, overblown institution." "The efficiency of its work is one of the key principles along with appropriate representation of all regions, all centers of global development. Somewhere around slightly more than 20 members — I think, that is the threshold that should be considered."
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

mahadevbhu wrote:@Austin:How does advocating the JSF make someone pseudo Indian?

I, for one, would prefer to see the highly cost depreciated and amortized JSF with India . The JSF is the new F 16 - produced in bulk for the world.

The Russian capabilities on the FGFA are not validated by anything in the past. The Americans have been making stealth airframes since the F117. There is only one game in town as regards highly advanced materials for the coatings that go on top of the shape of the aircraft to lower its radar reflections. No one has those and everyone is likely to be far behind the leaders. The amount of capex that is required to do MatSci research for advanced coatings is huge and apart from the US and China, not too many countries are expected to be able to have it.
Dude, at least look into the topic before making such over the board statements.

http://aviationweek.com/awin/new-russia ... w-progress
http://www.fighter-planes.com/stealth2.htm
According to Bill Sweetman, more than 100 Russian Su-27s have been treated with the signature reduction package.

ITAE say the engine intakes have a high performance RAM between 0.7mm and 1.4mm thick on the intake ducts and 0.5mm thick on the fan blades reduces the intake RCS 10-15dB, which measure alone halves the Su-27 RCS.

The other measures include a treated cockpit canopy (alternating metallic and polymer layers, using plasma deposition) and hand held sprays to treat external munitions, as revealed earlier.

Bill Sweetman, 'WORTH the COST?' Janes Defence Weekly, 19 July 2006.
Soviet Union had RCS ranges at Aralsk, Kalinin and Voronezh.
etc etc ranging from RAM on Mach 3 Brahmos to the bulkheads for our MiG-29K
Also, the UI/UX work done on the MMI of the JSF is also quite superior.
And how many hours have you spent evaluating the UI/UX for the JSF or the PAKFA or the Rafale?
Both the MatSci and the CompSci/ systems work that has been done, proves that the US has it, when it comes to 5th gen.
And others too.
No amount of supermaneuverability will be able to change first look/first engage advantages that they have.
SM is meant for reducing the Pk for long range shots from the opponent, rapid breakaway changes of direction and first shot opportunities in WVR.. which may occur more and more in a battle between two EMCON stealth fighters.

Thus, the JSF.[/quote]
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Hey, even DRDO has a RAM paint, which has gone on all IAF fighters.

I was talking to a tank commander after R day parade in Dilli. Apparently even the T-90s have some kind of RAM paint on it!
How good or effective these are is unknown. But every major defense producer is in the field.

Now if we remember the Stealth Hawk that crashed during the OBL raid, I am sure that the main thing that the chinese got out of that crash was the materials that were used on the chopper body, RAM paint, rotor blade material etc
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

India & US have tried and tested relations.

tried, tested & failed.

Russia & Israel lately are one's who help and count in a crises.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

The New Parliament Building the winning design later got rejected because of too many windows , not suitable for cold weather and maintenance issues

Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Why are we so land-locked in mentality? We do not possess any bathyscapes or min-subs fro oceanic exploration unlike many much smaller nations.WE still haven't even got a sub-rescue DSRV.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... arine.html
Vladimir Putin plunges into Black Sea in research submarine
Vladimir Putin, the Russian president, takes part in expedition to explore sunken shipwreck off the coast of Crimea

By Roland Oliphant, Moscow7:36PM BST 18 Aug 2015
Vladimir Putin dived to the bottom of the Black Sea to explore an ancient shipwreck off Crimea on Tuesday, in a stunt aimed at cementing his image as adventurer and control of the annexed territory.
The Russian president’s 83-metre dive in a mini-submarine was the latest in a long line of adventurous stunts that have previously seen him tranquillise wild tigers and fly with endangered cranes.
Tuesday’s mission was part of a Russian Geographic Society expedition researching Crimea’s ancient trade route.
Such research is important “in order to understand the development of ancient Rus’s relations with its neighbours, as well as the development of Russian statehood,” Mr Putin told reporters.
Russian President Vladimir Putin (R) looks through a window of a research bathyscaphe while submerging into the waters of the Black Sea as he takes part in an expedition near Sevastopol, Crimea
Russian President Vladimir Putin (R) looks through a window of a research bathyscaphe while submerging into the waters of the Black Sea as he takes part in an expedition near Sevastopol, Crimea Photo: REUTERS
He said the 9th or 10th century Byzantine trading ship, which was discovered near Balaklava earlier this year, appeared to be well preserved along with dozens of artefacts including a large quantity of amphorae.
The Russian president’s latest underwater exploits were part of his third visit to the Crimean peninsula since he annexed it in March 2014.
He was accompanied on his visit by Sergei Shoigu, his defence minister and the head of the Russian Geographic Society, prime minister Dmitry Medvedev, and Sergey Ivanov, his chief of staff.
Petro Poroshenko, the Ukrainian president, earlier said Mr Putin should have arranged his visit to the disputed peninsular with Kiev.
Russian President Vladimir Putin meets with journalists after submerging into the waters of the Black Sea inside a research bathyscaphe as part of an expedition in Sevastopol, Crimea
Russian President Vladimir Putin meets with journalists after submerging into the waters of the Black Sea inside a research bathyscaphe as part of an expedition in Sevastopol, Crimea Photo: REUTERS
“I won’t comment on that because the future of Crimea was decided by people who live here. They voted for unification with Russia. Full stop,” Mr Putin said when asked about Mr Poroshenko’s comments.
Mr Putin has a history of adventurous stunts, and has made previous mini-submarine dives in the Gulf of Finland and Lake Baikal.
In 2011 he went scuba diving with marine archaeologists at the site of an ancient Greek city on Taman, the Black Sea peninsula opposite Crimea.
On that occasion he emerged bearing amphorae that it was later claimed had been planted in advance for him to “find.”
Russian President Vladimir Putin submerges on board C-Explorer 3 bathyscaphe into the waters of the Black Sea outside Sevastopol
AFP
This time Mr Putin did not remove any items from the wreck, and said that professionals had already discovered and explored the site before he visited.
Crimea’s ancient heritage has been at the centre of disputes since the annexation, with former allies clashing over the fate of heritage sites.
Last month archeologists, historians, and museum directors across Russia protested the governor of Sevastopol’s appointment of an Orthodox cleric to run Chersonesus, an ancient Greek city.
Russian President Vladimir Putin, right, sits on board a bathyscaphe as it plunges into the Black sea along the coast of Sevastopol, Crimea
Russian President Vladimir Putin, right, sits on board a bathyscaphe as it plunges into the Black sea along the coast of Sevastopol, Crimea Photo: AP
Chersonesus was the site of the baptism of Vladimir the Great, the medieval prince credited with converting ancient Rus to Christianity, and the historians feared the moved heralded plans to demolish parts of the site to build a pilgrimage centre.
Local media reported that the Kremlin had to broker a compromise after Alexei Chaliy, the local businessman who signed the unification treaty on behalf of Sevastopol, backed the protesting archaeologists.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Austin wrote:$250 million is what it spent till date nothing less or more that was clarified by MOD , Further spending will be subject to agreement by both sides that hopefully would happen soon.

Unkil is pressurizing , that would be funny they would sell more if that were to be the case , Akula deal would be under negotiation and likely they wont disclose it till the last moment when it ready for commisioning as it happend in last deal.

I suspect you are here for FUD looking at all your post , but that has it own fun too :lol:
No. We don't know how much has been spent after 2013 on the FGFA. What we do know is that GoI has been slow on providing the remaining billions, but at the same time the Russians haven't complained about India not paying up. The FGFA is questionable.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

How Russia Hides its Dead Soldiers Killed in Ukraine

How very paki like
The scumbags that started the war in Ukraine (USA) to break off EU's engagement with Russia won't have any reason to create anti-russian propaganda now, right? Perish that thought, because USA is all about freedom and democracy and peace and love. :roll: yanks running US policy behave a lot more like the pakis than the russians.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

Mort Walker wrote:How Russia Hides its Dead Soldiers Killed in Ukraine

How very Paki like.
perhaps it is fitting that the Rodina buries its sons in secret. a kind of reward to the west. no pride when they lower them into the ground.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Mort Walker wrote:No. We don't know how much has been spent after 2013 on the FGFA. What we do know is that GoI has been slow on providing the remaining billions, but at the same time the Russians haven't complained about India not paying up. The FGFA is questionable.
Give it a rest already. :lol:
First the claims billions and gazillions had been spent. When the numbers don't match what you say, then it becomes since Russians didn't complain something is going on. And then a solemn, FGFA is questionable. :lol:
How very Paki like.
Speaks volumes that you use these epithets for a country which has stood by India on the basis of drain inspector reports.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Mort Walker wrote:^^^Around $250 million as of 2013, to date we don't know how much more, but since the Russians haven't been complaining about India's funding it would be safe to assume the money pipeline is open.
So in short, you don't know and have resorted to cooking up more claims and "assumptions". :lol:
Has it struck you that the money sanctioned could have been used till date & the next stage of the process is under chai-biscoot per all reports and the Russians are not complaining as they are used to the chai-biscoot process on our side & theirs. :lol:
It does appear the GoI is aware of Russian contract shenanigans and is going slower than anticipated. The $6-10 billion does not include all production costs. India wanted 140-180 of the FGFA at a cost of $100 million per unit. The worst part is that India has paid for development and may not get much out of it. The MMRCA has been cancelled since the costs escalated from $11 billion to $20 billion. IMHO, I expect the FGFA to be scaled back significantly or quietly dropped for cost escalation plus failure of Russians to honor contracts, and India takes advantage of getting the radar, EW suite, and engine development.
Assumptions galore.
The IAF will have to live with good 4-4.5 gen fighters.
How gracious.
Ah so good of you, of course only the PRC and Pak are what IAF should aim to emulate, and they are.. in your detailed assessment:
The Chinese 5th gen is probably put together with rubber bands and strings,
Yes, as you say so, must be true.
the Pakis have their own issues.
Oh good you told us.
On another note, I am curiously awaiting to see if Russia is ready to lease another Akula I or II to India. On this I am having my doubts as India under the current government is ready, but Russia is not for various reasons. Maybe unkil is pressuring, maybe Russia wants to milk India further.
[/quote]

Yes, all other countries sell to India out of the goodness of their souls, whereas Russia wants to milk India. :lol:
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

TSJones wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:How Russia Hides its Dead Soldiers Killed in Ukraine

How very Paki like.
perhaps it is fitting that the Rodina buries its sons in secret. a kind of reward to the west. no pride when they lower them into the ground.
Haha, run along now kiddo. They have bodies at least. Your gov was busy picking up the pieces after all the IEDs during all of your crusade like expeditions across the ME.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

RoyG wrote:
TSJones wrote:
Haha, run along now kiddo. They have bodies at least. Your gov was busy picking up the pieces after all the IEDs during all of your crusade like expeditions across the ME.
real nice comment especially considering you live in a country that has suffered so much at the hand of Islamic terrorist attacks and IEDs. have a nice day.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Gagan wrote:Hey, even DRDO has a RAM paint, which has gone on all IAF fighters.

I was talking to a tank commander after R day parade in Dilli. Apparently even the T-90s have some kind of RAM paint on it!
How good or effective these are is unknown. But every major defense producer is in the field.

Now if we remember the Stealth Hawk that crashed during the OBL raid, I am sure that the main thing that the chinese got out of that crash was the materials that were used on the chopper body, RAM paint, rotor blade material etc
Stealth paint. Empty can @100x cost. Can't see it? It's stealthy. :)
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^It isn't only paint, but RAM are incorporated into the composites of the airframe and other parts. Material science is important.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Karan M wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:No. We don't know how much has been spent after 2013 on the FGFA. What we do know is that GoI has been slow on providing the remaining billions, but at the same time the Russians haven't complained about India not paying up. The FGFA is questionable.
Give it a rest already. :lol:
First the claims billions and gazillions had been spent. When the numbers don't match what you say, then it becomes since Russians didn't complain something is going on. And then a solemn, FGFA is questionable. :lol:
How very Paki like.
Speaks volumes that you use these epithets for a country which has stood by India on the basis of drain inspector reports.
We really don't know what has been spent by GoI on the FGFA and it is very fair to say billions as the Russians aren't complaining. The only thing we have are some sketchy reports on negotiations on development contracts as of June and earlier this year.

No. I'm going to keep it up to establish some balance here. Sort of like a Russia Pojitive Newj onlee. Yourself, Austin and Philip seem to have the blinders on.
Last edited by Mort Walker on 20 Aug 2015 04:38, edited 1 time in total.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Russia's Economy Shows No Signs of Recovery
While the government still expects the economy to contract by as much as 3% this year, the Bank of Russia said last week that it will present a new set of economic forecasts on September 11. The revision is likely to paint a bleaker economic outlook, given that Brent crude prices are trading around $48 per barrel from levels of around $60 seen earlier this year.
Outside analyst are suggesting a contraction of greater than 4%. Brent crude is around $40/barrel. If this continues, the Russians oligarchs will quietly oust Putin in a couple of years like Kruschev.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Karan M wrote:Yes, all other countries sell to India out of the goodness of their souls, whereas Russia wants to milk India. :lol:
When countries don't honor contracts and ask for more money it is called milking. Be it the Americans, French, or British. Is this a difficult concept to understand?
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

India's Admission to SCO 'Geopolitically Logical'- Ambassador to Russia

"India has been an observer in the SCO for a few years now. And if you look in the SCO, what is it, it is actually a region which is consisting of India’s neighbors — you have Russia and China. Than you have an entire central Asian space. … So it is obviously a region [that represents] very great interest for all of us — as well as to India, as well as to Russia, as well as to China," Raghavan said.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Karan M wrote: Your disagreement is based on dodgy examples. Russia is successfully dealing with both India and China at the same time and has been doing so for quite some time. India can pay for the fuel it needs and the energy transfer mechanisms (eg nuke plants) and by doing so, Russia is in advantageous position, not worse off.
Far from dodgy. Russia like many countries already recognises they are past the 'Lewis Point' in the demgraphic perspective. The Vladivostok area of Russia is gradually being depopulated and the people are moving westwards. Russia recognises the danger. Besides economics, the geography and demographics are unfavourable to the Russians. China poses a direct threat to Russia, India does not.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Gagan wrote:Hey, even DRDO has a RAM paint, which has gone on all IAF fighters.

They were more interested in the tail rotor itself. As per some chatter at that time, it was rumored that it produced very little noise, aiding stealth ops.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Stop the Rain in Moscow! Top Ten Most Unusual Requests Russians File Online

The Top 1 request for Mumbai and India would be Start The Rain :lol: