India-Australia News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Re: India-Australia News and Discussion

Post by harbans »

Some of the racist attacks on Indians are a result of the disgust Paki's have spread around the world. media has played a large role in the == syndrome, when the reality is that Paki's are unlike anyone else in the Indian subcontinent culturally or mentally (except large swathes of BD population). Fact is both BDs and Paki's have degraded themselves and by extension Indians. I've personally witnessed boorish Paki's taunting East Asian girls and replying they are Indian. I've seen a marked change in the way immigration and others officials in their dealings with Indians in many parts of the world between now and 10 years ago. In Austrailia for example, i've witnessed a large change in body language when you say you're from India. Things are changing slowly and in India's favor. It's obvious that Indians are more soft spoken, better behaved, less temperamental, emotional, better educated and more ready to adapt and live in accordance to the laws and ethics in their adopted or visiting lands. The same does not apply to the scum thats West and East of us.
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Strengthen Team India
Greg Sheridan, Foreign editor
Last edited by Gerard on 23 May 2009 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: copyright
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

harbans, im not too sure about the paki quotient as they are practically non existent on Publi transport or for that matter in Oz altogether.I remember consulting a DIAC official who himself was a malaysian of india descent working on rehabilitating the african refugees.he admitted that you can never clap with one hand.Indians are known to have been very community centered and do not necessarily come of their shell.We always wait for the other person to extend their hand.Apprently in the 1980's when the chinese came in large numbers,they faced the wrath too because of annoying people around them due to the smell of their food and speaking loudly in public places,we can almost see the replay.

While a majority of students who get attacked are students not from universities but from shop front campuses(surveys have proved this), hence robbing them an opportunity to understand the australians better and their habits and moreover how to communicate.Progressive eforts have been made by various organisations in the past to educate both sides,but it is rather easier to have the international students integrate in to the society due to their numbers.

Do keep in mind at least in Vic as far as i know, there is a severe shortage of cops in the field.A CD wiht some basic tips on safety was to be prepared by vicpol earlier this year by the commissioners office,dont know if they actually proceeded with the project as i havent heard anything from them since.

gaura_s : connex i know is a private organisation with a horrible reputation,no one likes themso i guess we have to put up them,and yes they are harsh with fare evaders,on the lighter side most of their security personnel are indian students ;-)
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Bhai log, attacks on Indian students in Australia especially Melbourne has been rising. Latest news is four students from AP have been bashed and one of them is fighting for life in Melbourne hospital.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNpAnLVkWbQ from Times Now.

Police and media as usual are not much helpful when comes to such attacks on Indian students. Myself struggling to find even one such news story in any Oz newspaper or website. I personally wrote to TOI couple of days back about increase in such incidents but havent heard anything from them as of yet. However, Times now have urged to write views to newsroom@timesnow.tv.

Police have advised them to leave the area to be safe as they cant protect every student.

If police cant protect migrants to Australia then why the f*ck these universities are allowed being marketed to youth in India? WTF?

No doubt Australia is truly full of racist, retarded and mentally challenged scums.
:evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

harbans wrote:Some of the racist attacks on Indians are a result of the disgust Paki's have spread around the world. media has played a large role in the == syndrome, when the reality is that Paki's are unlike anyone else in the Indian subcontinent culturally or mentally (except large swathes of BD population). Fact is both BDs and Paki's have degraded themselves and by extension Indians. I've personally witnessed boorish Paki's taunting East Asian girls and replying they are Indian. I've seen a marked change in the way immigration and others officials in their dealings with Indians in many parts of the world between now and 10 years ago. In Austrailia for example, i've witnessed a large change in body language when you say you're from India. Things are changing slowly and in India's favor. It's obvious that Indians are more soft spoken, better behaved, less temperamental, emotional, better educated and more ready to adapt and live in accordance to the laws and ethics in their adopted or visiting lands. The same does not apply to the scum thats West and East of us.
Indians were isolated from 1950-1990 form immigrating to most countries. Only educated elite could travel and settle.

The change in demographics and economy globally- changed the rules for Indians. There was no lobby for Indians in many countries and Pak with their large population were creating the anti-india image tille the early 90s. They used to hold open kashmir/anti-India seminars in college campus in US universities until 1991. Lot of childrem of the Pak military were my classmates
Vishal_Bhatia
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vishal_Bhatia »

Gaurav_S wrote:No doubt Australia is truly full of racist, retarded and mentally challenged scums.
While your anger and frustration is understandable, is the above statement really necessary and not prejudist?
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Vishal_Bhatia wrote:
Gaurav_S wrote:No doubt Australia is truly full of racist, retarded and mentally challenged scums.
While your anger and frustration is understandable, is the above statement really necessary and not prejudist?
The statement is not the result of mere frustration, but infact based on experiences and some judgement. Experiences are not necessarily just of mine but as a whole Indian diaspora and other communities. Dunno if you have been keeping track of such incidents?
Vishal_Bhatia
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vishal_Bhatia »

Gaurav_S wrote:
Vishal_Bhatia wrote:The statement is not the result of mere frustration, but infact based on experiences and some judgement. Experiences are not necessarily just of mine but as a whole Indian diaspora and other communities. Dunno if you have been keeping track of such incidents?
May be anti-India sentiment is much more deep rooted than what I initially thought, but how can say that Australia is full of racists?

I'm not saying racism is not there in Australia, but why take it to this fanatical level as to label Australia as a land full of racists?
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Vishal_Bhatia wrote:I'm not saying racism is not there in Australia, but why take it to this fanatical level as to label Australia as a land full of racists?
Vishal, what would be your stance if there is more then once instance of feeling being discriminated or being attacked racially in a first level customer facing role? What would you think if bunch of Oz's yell at you targeting your background while commuting? Do people from sub continent in any other part of world have to confront such situation at such bottom levels.

Unfortunately, these attacks doesnt happen with people working at bottom level but also high profile person has been targeted recently. If you have been following such happenings then you would know who myself is referring to.

All myself trying to say is Oz's have accepted this as part of their culture in all walks of their life.
Two people gatecrashed the party and started thrashing the students. One of the four, an Andhra student Shravan was attacked with a screwdriver, which pierced his head. He is in a critical state.
Yet not a single report in Australian media. IMO attack is brutal enough to atleast print.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Gaurav - Indians experience or have experienced this level of hostility in many more countries than Australia. On balance, Aussies are less politically correct than others, but I would not say they are fundamentally racist - although some clearly are. I think the locals call them 'ockies' or something like that, the equivalent of american rednecks
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Well basically, it is because these countries ruling regimes and systems know that there will be no consequence if Indians are attacked. The GOI will mumble a bit but thats it. It is about perceptions of power and the amount of pain India can cause. Here they know that GOI, especially of the Congress type, will bend over backwards to allow the Indian to be kicked and maybe thank the corresponding government for allowing that to happen.

Especially with OZ - as far as I remember, the last I looked at it when the "doctor" case was up. Trade balance with OZ is in OZ favour, in return there has been some investments and collaborative ventures. Indian business interests will melt with happiness at that bone thrown to the "dog" and happy to lap at OZ feet.

Every time an Indian is dissed abroad in any country, that country has to face consequences. Only if this is firmly implemented, with no exceptions, can the situation change.
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

brihaspati wrote:Well basically, it is because these countries ruling regimes and systems know that there will be no consequence if Indians are attacked. The GOI will mumble a bit but thats it. It is about perceptions of power and the amount of pain India can cause. Here they know that GOI, especially of the Congress type, will bend over backwards to allow the Indian to be kicked and maybe thank the corresponding government for allowing that to happen.

Especially with OZ - as far as I remember, the last I looked at it when the "doctor" case was up. Trade balance with OZ is in OZ favour, in return there has been some investments and collaborative ventures. Indian business interests will melt with happiness at that bone thrown to the "dog" and happy to lap at OZ feet.

Every time an Indian is dissed abroad in any country, that country has to face consequences. Only if this is firmly implemented, with no exceptions, can the situation change.
GoI mumble? Believe it or not when I met Anita Nayar the Consul general along with an MP in Melbourne about the issue,the MP asked Anita if she could step up some pressure through the MEA,some random articles appeared in ToI.She then told us that her hands were ties as the GoI is not interested in showing any dissent due to some lucrative FDI deals and the uranium deal!No kidding,its a lost cause at the moment,but believe me it will be raked up again as the overseas numbers are declining drastically.

Gaurav_s points out quite rightly...u travel on public transport and get called names or abused almost daily.VicPol still have not arrested the kids who beat up a guy as recent as last week in spite of CCTV footage.IF they got off at Werribee station you ought to find them there at some point or the other as it only has like 4 platforms.
Raju

Post by Raju »

Us Indics never hit back, do we ? Although that would not be the safest solution, but still ...
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

brihaspati wrote:It is about perceptions of power and the amount of pain India can cause.

You have hit the nail. This reminds me of a thread "India a soft country" or something in those lines.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

migrants will be targetted not because they are indians but because they are migrants and impact local issues and politics - especially jobs and state benefits. i doubt very much that any redneck attacking an indian is doing so because of international political issues (except for a few rare cases e.g. Sikh being killed in the US by someone who thought he was Osama). in the former case, GOI has very limited leverage, in the latter case more so, but you are right, GOI rarely does much
vavinash
BRFite

Post by vavinash »

deleted
Last edited by Gerard on 27 May 2009 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please desist from advocating the random murder of foreign citizens
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

vavinash is banned for one month
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

I think India should issue a travel advisary for students clearly outlining the racial attacks Australia. India should also ask its students that if they travel to Australia they do so on their own risk and GoI is not to be blamed/held responsible as it issued travel advisory in advance. I wonder Australia is full of Chinese why such attacks never happen on them ?????
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

Gaurav_S wrote:Yet not a single report in Australian media. IMO attack is brutal enough to atleast print.
Hi Gaurav,

Where did these attacks take place? I travel to Melbourne almost twice a year on official business, our office is in the Eastern suburbs, bit way off from Ringwood.

CBD is okay? Last year when I was there (around this time) there was flare up with the Indian cabbies.

Just to make sure chaps in my team do not venture away into the trouble spots.
Last edited by SRoy on 28 May 2009 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

NDTV's coverage of the MEA's forthright response has been quite good - it caught me by surprise
ajay_hk
BRFite

Post by ajay_hk »

India asks Australia to ensure security of its students
Foreign minister S M Krishna reminded Australia about its responsibility to ensure the well-being and security of Indian students studying in that country.

"I have been appalled at the attack on our students in Melbourne," Krishna said in a statement here while commenting on the assault on four Indian students, one of whom is battling for life in a hospital there.

"We will impress upon the Australian authorities that such attacks should not be permitted," he said.

The minister said Indian Consulate General in Melbourne is in touch with the affected students and the state police.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

sroy, no real threat in the eastern suburbs or even ringwood.most cases are in the western suburbs.would advise not to travel alone @nite on Sydenham/werribee/williamstown/upfield trains. Remember always call the cops or crimestoppers if u feel u r being followed! Cabbies were protesting last yr due to attacks on Indian cabbie drivers.finally 'the age' has agreed to report about these attacks after literally annoying them today!
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

mmasand wrote:sroy, no real threat in the eastern suburbs or even ringwood.most cases are in the western suburbs.would advise not to travel alone @nite on Sydenham/werribee/williamstown/upfield trains. Remember always call the cops or crimestoppers if u feel u r being followed! Cabbies were protesting last yr due to attacks on Indian cabbie drivers.finally 'the age' has agreed to report about these attacks after literally annoying them today!
thanks, connex if required in my case will be confined to the Belgrave / Lilydale lines.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Still this is not clear why Indians are being targeted when Chinese outnumber us in Aus.
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

IndraD wrote:Still this is not clear why Indians are being targeted when Chinese outnumber us in Aus.
No matter how strong the denials are, its because of the D part in SDRE, which is hard to ignore and digest. For all the righteousness shown by Aussie press during Maakigate, this is kind of a silver lining.
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

mmasand wrote:harbans, im not too sure about the paki quotient as they are practically non existent on Publi transport or for that matter in Oz altogether.I remember consulting a DIAC official who himself was a malaysian of india descent working on rehabilitating the african refugees....
Good post mate...you have hit the nail on the head on most of the issues...we have an inherent problem that you can see everyday here we dont mix and the same can be said of most of the asian communities...when I say mix with the local populace it doesnt mean that you have to go clubbing or follow footy religiously etc...but its more to have a good chat get to know the other person find out a bit about the culture...etc.

The point that the students that got bashed were from shop front unis is absolutely true...frankly even I find some of the behaviour appauling...look you cant yell your heart out on the phone when you are on a train there are umpteen other people from diff backgrounds there and it creates annoyance...also when you tend to do that when idiot drunkards or bogans are around it attracts unnecessary attention...These kids from the shop front unis unfortunately never get to interact and hence always stick to their own which is fine but then you dont ever understand the behaviour pattern when you are stuck in a place where you are not around your own people...
Raju wrote:Us Indics never hit back, do we ? Although that would not be the safest solution, but still ...
Who said we dont...I have personally seen a good sikh friend of mine who threw a couple of idiots who were mucking around in his cab and kicked their a$$es in...and seen a few punchups in my uni days (had the privelage of being part in a few :twisted: )having said that hitting back in a limited extent is IMHO viable but on a broader scale impractical as after all SDREs and other migrants are coming to OZ not OZ going to them thus we will always need to be acceptable of their culture more then they would be of our culture...JMT

The bashings are not just limited to Indians in the last month or so two oz summaritans got bashed to death outside some clubs why...bcoz they were trying to help some one in a fight...think last year a lawyer on his way to work got shot while trying to help some girl...bad things happen to good people...I am in no way defending Oz by saying this racism is most definitely alive and well here and its not only faced by SDREs but by most Oz communities, hell ze Yuropeans primarily from Italy, Greece, Turkey, Lebanese as well are called Wogs here and there is a lot of racial stuff that goes on between oz and these guys.

The locals are also targeted don you worry...they are called skips, bogans (red-necks), etc....

Same goes for Chinese and Asians in general and SDREs from the sub-continent.

Racism does very much exist in Oz but that doesnt mean every one is Racist I myself and my friends have heaps of white oz friends, asian friends, europeans etc...you just cannot judge a whole community based on the behaviour of a few idiots...

As mentioned earlier by someone Connex are absolute idiots these guys can hardly run their trains on time expecting them to maintain security is beyond their effing capabilities...hell I got late today coming into work they are imbeciles when it comes to running a train network or maintaing passenger safety....

SRoy...Belgrave/Lilydale line is by far one of the safest lines...been travelling 6 years on that line without any problems whatsoever....

The VIC Police is absolutely massively understaffed right now to handle such a situation these buggers can harldy maintain security around the CBD sector and even then you see people getting bashed, mugged, ityadi...I dont see anything major happening on this front...more so SDRE students need to understand the core of this issue and change ourselves accordingly and more importantly learn to defend ourselves when the time comes....

Nowadays I have seen that Indian students normally now hang out in groups of 4/5 guys rather than hanging out alone....
mmasand wrote:Gaurav_s points out quite rightly...u travel on public transport and get called names or abused almost daily.VicPol still have not arrested the kids who beat up a guy as recent as last week in spite of CCTV footage.IF they got off at Werribee station you ought to find them there at some point or the other as it only has like 4 platforms.
Ofcourse they could do that but will they...baah ofcourse not...even Connex could do something about this but they wont bcoz there is just not enough pressure...
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

One good reason Indians being attacked is we are being confused with Paki's.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

harbans wrote:One good reason Indians being attacked is we are being confused with Paki's.
I have spent time in Australia and yes I have been also target of racial attacks. They are not dumb enough to confuse most of the desis with pakis, they do know what pakis are up to and how they behave etc.

Oz'ies are racists and what I call are the white pakis. The one with the paki syndrome. That is they want to prove that they are whitier than white. They want to prove that they are the only one who have the right to own Australia and thus the southern hemisphere. Anything that gives them a dose of reality causes them much takleef. That takleef has to be taken out somewhere! Immigrants are the obvious target.

They not just target desis, they also target other communities including indonesians, malays, vietnameese, thai, chineese, japaneese etc and etc.

So just junk out the theory that desis are attacked because of pakis. Of course for convenience you want to bash up somebody, any flimsiest reason calls.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

andy B wrote:...we have an inherent problem that you can see everyday here we dont mix and the same can be said of most of the asian communities...when I say mix with the local populace it doesnt mean that you have to go clubbing or follow footy religiously etc...but its more to have a good chat get to know the other person find out a bit about the culture...etc.
This is like blaming the victim. All first generation immigrants tend to congregate together. Like italians in the boston area and the jews in new york etc. You will not find the first generation populace to have a good chat, particularly when there are unnecessary attacks on them for no rhyme or reason. Note that for every one physical attack there are multitude of verbal abuse and sleights further increasing the siege mentality of the immegrant.
The point that the students that got bashed were from shop front unis is absolutely true...frankly even I find some of the behaviour appauling...look you cant yell your heart out on the phone when you are on a train there are umpteen other people from diff backgrounds there and it creates annoyance...
How pathetic of the uncouth desis to that. Let's kick them in the b@lls to show them their place ...
also when you tend to do that when idiot drunkards or bogans are around it attracts unnecessary attention..
Ahh and thos bogans and drunkards need protection from the desis (yep been there done that, got a bad rap from a cop for even threatening the drunkard) ...
These kids from the shop front unis unfortunately never get to interact and hence always stick to their own which is fine but then you dont ever understand the behaviour pattern when you are stuck in a place where you are not around your own people...
Yeah - those damn kids. Want to go to some engineering college or get out of India just so that they have a foreign returned certificate on their lapels. How come they choose a shop front university. Education is a big business in Oz. Further they need to realize that they have to provide a secure environment, the onus is on them and not on the students who attend it, because more likely than not, they do not know the reality.
Who said we dont...I have personally seen a good sikh friend of mine who threw a couple of idiots who were mucking around in his cab and kicked their a$$es in...and seen a few punchups in my uni days (had the privelage of being part in a few :twisted: )having said that hitting back in a limited extent is IMHO viable but on a broader scale impractical as after all SDREs and other migrants are coming to OZ not OZ going to them
On that I agree with you ...
thus we will always need to be acceptable of their culture more then they would be of our culture...JMT
Hmmm and they are the ones who call themselves multi-cultural. How pathetic...
Racism does very much exist in Oz but that doesnt mean every one is Racist I myself and my friends have heaps of white oz friends, asian friends, europeans etc...you just cannot judge a whole community based on the behaviour of a few idiots...
Yeah the few like their former premier who said "two wongs do not make a white" and that lady fish and chops owner who was catapulted to fame and then the judge who took away the aborigine rights ...
The VIC Police is absolutely massively understaffed right now to handle such a situation these buggers can harldy maintain security around the CBD sector and even then you see people getting bashed, mugged, ityadi...I dont see anything major happening on this front...more so SDRE students need to understand the core of this issue and change ourselves accordingly and more importantly learn to defend ourselves when the time comes....
I agree that SDREs should learn to defend themselves. Probably learn to participate in some race riots and send some goras to Jahnum ... or better the VIC police and VIC government realizes that racism is a menace and they are sitting on a powder keg and start educating the few racist boors among them. The realization should come top down, from the premier to the administrator to the judge to the constable on the beat.
mmasand wrote:Gaurav_s points out quite rightly...u travel on public transport and get called names or abused almost daily.VicPol still have not arrested the kids who beat up a guy as recent as last week in spite of CCTV footage.IF they got off at Werribee station you ought to find them there at some point or the other as it only has like 4 platforms.
Ofcourse they could do that but will they...baah ofcourse not...even Connex could do something about this but they wont bcoz there is just not enough pressure...[/quote]

That sums it up, the VIC government is racist! And they are operating in OZ and hence the OZ is racist. Yes there are few good people out there, but overall they are racist and the onus is on them to prove that they are not by cleaning up the mess and that does not mean allowing the SDRE to be cleaned up by the boors.
Duangkomon
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Duangkomon »

There is a cultural aspect where Indians are seen as meek and timid propagated by media, especially tv discussion panels and comedy variety shows where Indians are seen as easy targets to be made fun of accompanied by sniggers all around, without inviting any distaste of the like if you made fun of say the blacks or chinese. All these outsourcing, call centers, IPL, cricket tensions etc some how in their minds legitimizes this attitude. JMT

Equally disturbing is the desi aussie attitude.. "I got heaps of heaps of white friends" ,"how dare these desi villagers behave so unsophisticated unlike me". It is as if they were asking to be bashed for being themselves. :roll:
Last edited by Duangkomon on 28 May 2009 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Raju

Post by Raju »

If one side keeps getting beaten up and they aren't the status-quo power then no one will bother. The only way to change status-quo is to effectively hit back, which then will make everyone wake up.

hitting back is surely not the end of the problem, but it has high probability of becoming the beginning of a solution.
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

disha wrote: This is like blaming the victim. All first generation immigrants tend to congregate together. Like italians in the boston area and the jews in new york etc. You will not find the first generation populace to have a good chat, particularly when there are unnecessary attacks on them for no rhyme or reason. Note that for every one physical attack there are multitude of verbal abuse and sleights further increasing the siege mentality of the immegrant.
Agreed...my point is while this is true we could be more proactive and try to mix in which in turn will atleast guarentee that we know a bit more about their people and culture then we do now...
disha wrote:How pathetic of the uncouth desis to that. Let's kick them in the b@lls to show them their place ...
You are taking my point out of context I was talking of general etiquette and thats all no need for b@ll kicking and sorts...and this problem btw is quite easily tackled with the right information provided to them before they embark on their studies...
disha wrote:Ahh and thos bogans and drunkards need protection from the desis (yep been there done that, got a bad rap from a cop for even threatening the drunkard) ...
I never said that these imbeciles needed protection, more than that they need a good thrashing but lets not get into that...and getting a rap from a cop that was just bad luck mate I have also experienced that during nights out but as a point me and my friends hear it from one ear let it rip from the other.... :mrgreen: Why should any of us listen to that bull sh$# when I see my countrymen getting bashed and absued for no reason...
disha wrote:Yeah - those damn kids. Want to go to some engineering college or get out of India just so that they have a foreign returned certificate on their lapels. How come they choose a shop front university. Education is a big business in Oz. Further they need to realize that they have to provide a secure environment, the onus is on them and not on the students who attend it, because more likely than not, they do not know the reality.
These so-called damn kids that you say, are in a lot of cases only after their degrees by any and every way...I work in the city and unfortunately had a friend who was in one such university Here assignments and projects mean jack all kids will come upto you and just plainly ask for the assignment so that they can plagarise and submit it to get through the units...After a lot of trying my friend finally transferred to a better university. Education is not only big its massive considering the amount of phoren students coming here for education and while I completely agree with you that its their responsibility to provide a secure environment its our kid's responsibility to research the university properly and find out what kind of reputation they have...this is basic research which can be done through the internet or through friends and acquaintances...The whole university problem is also being tackled by the governing board as well and a lot of these unis are clamping down on the students by strenghthening their education standards...

disha wrote:I agree that SDREs should learn to defend themselves. Probably learn to participate in some race riots and send some goras to Jahnum ... or better the VIC police and VIC government realizes that racism is a menace and they are sitting on a powder keg and start educating the few racist boors among them. The realization should come top down, from the premier to the administrator to the judge to the constable on the beat.
Unfortunately I agree with the first part of your point (race riots) more than the second, well what can I say I am only a dhoti clad SDRE with itchy fists... :twisted: The current VIC premier did get involved when the SDRE doc got bashed as he was an acquaintance/friend of the premier...still dunno if the bashers ever got charged...I have kind of come to believe through experience that the VIC police are incapable morally or professionally to tackle the racism problem and for them to get involved it will need the VIC govt to crack the whipe...and for the VIC govt to crack the whip it has to come from the central govt...now look at Kevin Rudd and tell me this is possible... :rotfl: Hell no so it comes back to us...harden the eff up and start standing up for yourself!!! I am not encouraging violence by saying that but we do desperately need to toughen up our image asap!
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Possibly due to frustration myself may have gone over a bit yesterday, by labelling ALL Oz's as racists. All wanted was some attention to a problem that has been around for some time with us. Didnt want to exaggerate the situation as myself is happy to admit there are also good souls around. :D Have been living in Sydney western suburbs where friends have got bashed, kicked for few bucks, mobiles by junkies while walking home, train stations.
On a good note such attacks have reduced in these Sydney suburbs in recent times.

Mr Krishna must have been lurking around on BRF possibly resulting in issuing statements to Canberra.lol.. :lol: Took me with surprise while in middle of uranium talks.

However, believe me or not there are good amount of people (Not ALL) around perceiving India and Indians as too poverty stricken and backward. Also, economy largely dependent on call centres perhaps due to jobs from Oz banks being shifted to India. This too perhaps contributes to such attacks. Myself tries more to appear like armed with knowledge, aware, bit witted who comes from decent family to thwart buildup of such impression in case.

JMT
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Houses of assaulted Indians burgled in Australia
MELBOURNE: The houses of four Indian students, who were brutally assaulted by a group of teenagers in Australia, have been burgled, even as one of
them battles for life at a hospital, an organization of Indian students here has alleged.
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

another bunch of sri lankan students in sydney suburb got acid poured on themselves...apparently a tamil-sinhalese thing!http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story

btw apparently these students from andhra live somwhere near west footscray and tottenham...btw dont give too much leverage to that gautam gupta guy making statements o behalf of FISA,know for his notoriety he swindled money out of student union money @swinburne in 2002! got voted out in a referendum and even faced charges!
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Another Indian student attacked in Australia from ToI
MELBOURNE: In a fresh incident of racial attack on Indians in Australia, a 25-year old student was stabbed here, even as another youth from Andhra
Pradesh was battling for life after an assault by local teenagers.

Baljinder Singh, 25, was attacked on Monday night when two men carrying weapons approached, the 'Herald Sun' reported.

The attackers demanded money and as Singh was searching through his bag to hand over his wallet he was stabbed in the abdomen. Singh screamed for his life, his attackers laughed and fled the scene, the report said.

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

aus clearly has problems in race relations. however the thing that i found strangely ironic was that the ndtv report on the violence in aus was followed by two reports of indian students being beaten and killed due to ragging incidents in india...
Keshav
BRFite

Post by Keshav »

The topic of discussion just goes to show how little importance Australia is to India.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Keshav wrote:The topic of discussion just goes to show how little importance Australia is to India.
What exactly are you trying to say here? That Indians shouldn't be concerned about the racist attacks against them??

If same number of Australians had been killed in similar period in India, or Americans, their governments would have issued a travel advisory asking their citizens to not visit India!

And here we have the famed australian police trying to sweep the attacks under the rug and claiming that it is not racist at all, when all evidence points to contrary!