Mumbai Terrorist Attack-News stories and timeline

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
anishns
BRFite

Re: Mumbai Terrorist Attack-News stories and timeline

Post by anishns »

A question:

Were the voices on the phone interacting with the terrorists ever identified?? or atleast speculated?

dipak wrote:
shiv wrote:Will ask you but perhaps it might be a good idea if you downloaded that channel 4 video and saved it on your HDD so I can ask for translation from some specific timeline. Usually it is snatches of conversation lasting a few seconds.
I have downloaded the Channel 4 documentary on my HDD. Please let me know the specific parts of it you need me to translate.
Thanks.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Surya wrote:all are inglorious :(

Tanaji - you in Mumbai ??

me in mumbai - linked up with Kaps

would be great if you are here by any chance
No, but would love to meet up with you guys, I have already met Kaps and Kersi at one of the BR meets, where the enigmatic Seetal was present.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

IMHO Gafoor's interview is a keeper... it laid to bare a lot of the police reaction during 26/11. It is a good thing that it has come out.. for too long the bureaucracy has relied on hiding behind secrecy to cover up their incompetence.

The fact that RR Patil and the DGP were asking for NSG to be withdrawn should be tom tommed across the media. It is one thing for RR Patil to say it (he is clueless anyway), but for a person at the rank of a DGP to state it is a sign that
  • He is himself clueless OR
  • He had no idea of the unfolding situation and yet was blithely giving orders based on his ignorance OR
  • He had a very high and incorrect opinion of the Mumbai police force capabilities
I dont know which of the above is more scarier.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

I was just watching the absorbing Headlines Today Channel's programme, "26/11: The Day Mumbai police Froze". It was a 1-hour programme with complete voice captures of all wireless messages among police units. It is very clear that while there were a few brave officers who took the initiative, most of the rest including the constables et al were clueless, didn't know how to handle the situation and at least in one case (at CST) were simply feeding wrong information to the control room (claiming firing was going on even half-an hour after the terrorists had gone to Cama hospital).

Two officers stood out. One was DCP Patil who enterd Taj along with a constable after hearing about the commotion there; searched the rooms in the floors that he could access; was ensuring that the terrorists were bottled up; was giving a running commentary by watching terrorist movements on the CCTV; stayed inside the Taj for several hours until the electricity went off after the terrorists set fire to the building; and constsantly asking for back up support to take the terrorists on. No help arrived for 5 hours. QRT units that were sent there decided to ring the hotel but not go inside even as DCP Patil was constantly saying the terrorists were in the 5th & 6th floors and were using Room No 613. At one point, Ghafoor was heard telling over wireless that they should keep away from the Marcos because there cannot be a joint command etc. DCP Patil was eventually evacuated by Fire Brigade.

The second was ACP Sadanand Date who also pinned down the terrorists at the Cama Hospital for almost 45 minutes until his team took casualties and he himself was a casualty. He also repeatedly relayed his location and asked for back up. Nobody came. In fact, a unit that was sent decided to take positions 100 metres away. Date's team was not medevaced for another 45 minutes.

At CST, the team that was sent with automatic weapons decided to stay outside the railway station, but not covering all exit/entry points even as the two terrorists coolly walked out of a small, unguarded exit. Police units who later saw one of them take the footbridge, simply relayed that information to the control room without taking any action.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Some more info on the indictment in the Pakistani Court
Earlier, the court rejected objections by defence lawyers at the last hearing over the admissibility of the confession of Ajmal Amir ‘Kasab’ as evidence. They had argued that as he was neither an accused in the case in Pakistan nor in the list of proclaimed offenders, his statement could not be used for the purpose of framing charges against the other accused.

Lakhvi’s defence lawyer Khwaja Sultan Ahmed asked the court to “procure [Kasab’s] attendance” in the Pakistani trial court through extradition. He asked the court to leave out his statement for framing the charges, as a statement by a person implicating another was admissible only if they were standing trial in the same court.

While holding that ‘Kasab’ could not be declared a proclaimed offender as his whereabouts were known, the Judge said he would be treated as an accused whose case had been separated from the case under trial in his court, and who was being proceeded against in another court.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

Pak lawyers' demand for Kasab's deportation amuses prosecution
Wednesday, November 25, 2009 20:30 IST

Mumbai: The demand of defence lawyers in a Pakistani court that 26/11 terror accused Ajmal Kasab be sent to the neighbouring country to stand trial has evoked sharp reaction from special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam.

"I am amused. How can Kasab be sent to Pakistan to face the trial? He has committed offence in India and has to undergo the trial in an Indian court," Nikam said.

"Kasab has given a confession before Indian authorities as an accused and not as a witness or an approver. So how can the defence lawyers in Pakistani court cross-examine Kasab?" Nikam, who is leading the prosecution in the 26/11 trial in a Mumbai court, asked.

Moreover, Kasab's trial has not yet concluded and so he cannot be sent to Pakistan. He has to meet the logical conclusion of the trial in Mumbai itself, he said.

"Have the Pakistani lawyers ever talked about the deportation of absconding accused to India to face trial in Mumbai court? Certainly not. Then why should they demand Kasab's deportation," asked Nikam.

However, under the provisions of Sections 188 and 189 of Pakistan CrPc, certified copies of evidence tendered by witnesses in Mumbai court can be used by prosecuting agencies of Pakistan in the trial court there, Nikam said.

Welcoming the charges framed by a Pakistani court against LeT leader Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and six others for planning and helping execution of the Mumbai attacks, he said the Pakistani court had relied upon the evidence adduced by the prosecution in Mumbai.
gandharva
BRF Oldie

Post by gandharva »

Former Maharashtra Inspector General of Police S M Mushrif -- Karkare's senior in the state police -- has just published Who Killed Karkare-The Real Face of Terrorism [ Images ] in India [ Images ]. He discussed his controversial book with rediff.com's Vicky Nanjappa.

What led you to write the book?

This topic interested me. I was collecting material on the various communal riots that have rocked our country. As I was doing so, a strange thing happened. There was a spate of bomb blasts, which started to rock the nation.

The frequency of blasts started to increase after 2005. This was the time the Intelligence Bureau came into the limelight in a very big way. I started to wonder how IB reports could start appearing in the media when intelligence is supposed to be secretive.

A doubt crept into my mind. I realised that the IB had intentionally come into the picture so that it could misguide the nation and take every investigation on the wrong track.

Look at the Malegaon case. It proves everything that I am trying to say. This is when I thought that I should pen my thoughts.

According to you, these cases of terrorism would not have occurred had it not been for the communal riots.

The Babri Masjid [ Images ] incident and the Gujarat riots were a turning point.

Your book alleges that Hindu fundamentalists carried out a major share of terror acts in India. Are you suggesting that outfits like the Students Islamic Movement of India have absolutely no role in terrorism?

The cases against the Students Islamic Movement of India are fake. All the boys who were arrested were found to be innocent during the course of the investigation.

Look at the cases in Hyderabad. The court dismissed the cases against the boys.

Are you saying the police and Intelligence Bureau intentionally framed organisations like SIMI [ Images ]?

Look at the Nanded case. Wasn't it suppressed?

Is it only right-wing groups that spread terror? Is Pakistan an angel?

No. That is not what I am trying to say. Pakistan is our enemy and a threat from them is always there. They have caused enough damage in Kashmir [ Images ].

What happened in Mumbai is a reality. It was an attack by Pakistan-based groups and there is no denying that.

This brings us to the title of your book. Who, according to you, killed Mr Karkare?

I have analysed the Mumbai attacks thoroughly. All the reports that are available suggest that the IB was aware of the attack at least five days in advance. They knew the entire operation; the route these terrorists were taking. However, it is strange that they did not pass on this information to the Mumbai police.

Instead, they alerted the Coast Guard, who everyone knows has very limited resources. My question is: Why were the Mumbai police not told about it?

This lack of intelligence led to the Mumbai attacks and some right-wing groups taking advantage of the situation to kill Karkare.

See, the thing is these right-wing groups, who were upset with the investigation into the Malegaon incident, could not have thought of any other opportunity to kill Karkare. Had they done so on some other occasion, then without batting an eyelid, the blame would have been on them.

They made good use of this lack of intelligence and were also aware that in the midst of such a big attack, Karkare would surely come on to the road to battle the terrorists.

They synchronised the attack to perfection and killed him.

If you recall, there was a specific threat to his life the very same day.

It is clear that they wanted to see the back of Karkare at any cost.

I salute this officer, even though he was my junior, for the manner in which he carried out the Malegaon investigation. He did it so systematically that it made several persons uneasy.

Are you 100 per cent sure of what you are saying?

I would not say I am 100 per cent sure. But I would also not rule out the possibility. This is an alternative theory which must be probed into. I have based this theory on various reports, including those that have appeared in the newspapers.

So you allege the attack on Mr Karkare was synchronised by right-wing groups while the rest of the operation was carried out by the Laskhkar-e-Tayiba.

Yes, that is right. Once again, I maintain that on Karkare's death, an alternative theory should be formed and the angle probed into.

Your book alleges that there was a deliberate attempt to block intelligence to the Mumbai police.

Yes, intelligence was deliberately blocked. I don't know why it was blocked. This, in fact, makes me wonder whether it was done to facilitate Karkare's killing.

Look at the way things unfolded. The IB was aware of the entire attack five days earlier. Instead of tipping off the Mumbai police they tell the Coast Guard.

Prior to the attack, the Union home department handed over 35 (cell phone) numbers to the IB, which were being used by the Lashkar to plan the attack.

Interestingly, the terrorists used three of these numbers at the time of the operation. Why didn't the IB track down these numbers when they had it with them?

Why did the probe into these numbers start only after the attacks? All this is fishy and only creates more and more doubts in one's mind.

Do you really think another probe should be conducted into Mr Karkare's death?

I have made a demand and suggested this in my book. Maybe I am not 100 per cent correct. But if a section of people think there is an alternative theory to his death, then why not probe it?

But that theory has already been probed and dismissed by the Mumbai police's Crime Branch.

Yes, I know that. Let them probe it once again. However, the probe must be independent.

The IB should not be involved in this probe and all officers associated with the existing team looking into the Mumbai attacks should not be part of the team probing this angle. I have made my suggestion and it is up to the government to look into the matter.

http://news.rediff.com/interview/2009/n ... probed.htm
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

^Business as usual for parasites, trying to increase sales of his book and make easy money.

If he thinks anybody other than LeT terrorists killed karkare then why doesnt he talk to Arun Jadhav the person who was with karkare when he was killed.

If Mushrif is in desperate need of money he should go beg on CST rather than making baseless allegations and acting as an propaganda agent for India's enemies, who will be more than happy to use his name to create doubts regarding the death of karkare.

The cop who cheated death and Kasab
November 26, 2009

Krishnakumar P meets Arun Jadhav, the only survivor in the police van ambushed by Ajmal Kasab and Abu Ismail, in which Hemant Karkare, Ashok Kamte Vijay Salaskar and three other constables were killed.

As the police officers and constables started driving slowly towards the front gate of the Cama Hospital Jadhav did not know that death would visit him not once, but thrice.

First, the terrorists saw the approaching Qualis and fired at it, killing Karkare, Kamte and Salaskar.

Jadhav was hit five times. Three bullets in his left shoulder and two in his right elbow, which was almost severed. He played dead and maneuvered himself under the bodies of three other constables who had died.

He was the only policeman to survive the killings that shocked the Mumbai police.

He was the person who alerted the police that the terrorists had changed to a Skoda.

His call ensured that Ajmal Kasab was captured.

In court it was when Kasab saw Jadhav that he decided it was pointless to continue denying charges anymore.

"When he saw me and understood that not all those people in the jeep were killed he said he wanted to confess," says Jadhav.
Sudip
BRFite

Post by Sudip »

Article on 26/11 by Time magazine. I apologize if it has already been posted or the facts already shared.

India Still a Soft Terror Target a Year Later

The trial of Sabahuddin Ahmed for his work in facilitating last year's Mumbai massacre reveals an uncomfortable truth about India. Unlike his fellow accused, the Pakistani gunman Mohammad Amir Ajmal Qasab, Sabahuddin is Indian and for five years he was an alleged one-man sleeper cell hiding in plain sight. Even though he was arrested almost 10 months before the Mumbai attack, Sabahuddin had allegedly managed to provide enough information in terms of directions and diagrams to allow the terrorists to launch their assault with "absolute precision."
Ahmed easily exploited the gaping holes in the fabric of India's public safety — flaws that still exist a year after the attacks. According to his statement to police, Ahmed paid an acquaintance Rs. 50,000 (about $1,000) to buy admission to a college in Bangalore, and used his student ID to allay police suspicions while he was crossing from Kashmir to Bangalore — even as he was bringing a cache of weapons in by train. When he ran out of money, his handlers arranged to have funds sent to him through India's unregulated network of cash-transfer, or hawala, traders. For the equivalent of $2, an Indian, who had bought the right to smuggle jackfruit across the Bangladesh border, arranged for him to cross without documents to that country's capital Dhaka, where he met with agents of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), the group believed to have planned the Mumbai attacks.
............................ Until those margins are narrowed, security experts say, India continues to be the world's biggest soft target. "We remain as vulnerable today as we were on 26/11," says Ajai Sahni, Executive Director, Institute for Conflict Management, using the shorthand for the Nov. 26, 2008, attacks. "Corruption undermines and negates everything."
In India, corruption is taken as an unfortunate fact of life even for otherwise law-abiding citizens. For example, ration cards are a lifeline for India's poor, giving them access to subsidized rice, lentils and kerosene. But to get them, you need a birth certificate or proof of residence —something many Indians lack. So, they often pay clerks to issue ration cards without a supporting document. A tea-shop worker in Mumbai told me he bought one for Rs. 5,000 ($111). Meanwhile, the ration card is a step toward a passport. In theory, passports are difficult to get; police officers are supposed to visit you in person to verify your identity and address. However, according to an entrepreneur who helps set these things up, as long as you don't have an arrest record, the police will skip that formality —for a few hundred rupees. There is no need for counterfeit documents; for a fee, authentic ones are readily available.
Given the size of the Indian bureaucracy, with 18 million public employees serving more than a billion people, "you can never create a foolproof system," says Ajay Behera, an assistant professor at Jamia Millia Islamia who has written extensively about regional security. But in such a porous system, he says, a small group of relatively uneducated people can organize a major operation. "Almost anyone can do anything here," Behera says. "It doesn't require that high a level of sophistication."
Making India harder for would-be terrorists to penetrate would require reform not just of the bureaucracy but also the police. Local and international human-rights groups have exhaustively documented the crisis in Indian policing, criticizing the Indian police for everything from taking bribes to engaging in torture and extrajudicial killing. Eight national commissions have also recommended wide-ranging police reforms, few of which have been implemented.
Lower-level Indian police officers and border guards remain underpaid and undertrained, while being given almost unchallenged authority over the people they are meant to serve. A 26-year veteran of the Mumbai police told TIME that his monthly salary is Rs. 10,360 (about $230). ........................ By late 2006, after the July 2006 Mumbai train blasts and an October 2006 attack in Kashmir, security on the Indian border had become very strict. But Sabahuddin, in his statement, says that Rs. 10,000 ($222) was enough to get past the Central Reserve Police Force. "They asked me to give my address and I gave them a fake address in Kolkata," he says. "To verify me, they called my friend... [and] they got confirmed that I am an Indian and allowed me to travel."
The Mumbai attackers are believed to have come by sea from Karachi, and over the past year, the Indian government has added new vessels to tighten up security along its long maritime border with Pakistan. But Behera estimates that getting through a checkpoint costs only about Rs. 5,000 ($111). Despite the necessary investment in new boats and training, corruption is still a vulnerability, says Pushpita Das, who is researching coastal security at the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses. "The liability still remains.".................
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

One year after the Mumbai attack, the tentacles of terror are spreading
DEBKAfile Special Report

November 25, 2009, 10:18 PM (GMT+02:00)
Beit Chabad where Laskhar-e-Taiba spy David Headley slept and plotted the murder of six Jews

Thursday, Nov. 26, marks the first anniversary of the Islamic terrorist siege of the Indian city of Mumbai, in which 170 people were shot and blown up and more than 300 wounded. Ten killers of the Pakistan-based al Qaeda offshoot, Lashkar-re-Taibe, shot up and invaded two hotels, a train station, a café and the city's Chabad hospitality center, holding them for three days against Indian police commandos.

The terrorists were instructed to make sure that no one was left alive at the Chabad center: One by one, they murdered the center's director, Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg, his pregnant wife Rivka, Rabbi Leibish Teitelbaum, Bentzion Chroman, Yocheved Orpaz and Norma Shwartzblatt Rabinovitch. The Holzbergs' two-year old son Moshe was the only survivor thanks to the staff member, Sandra Samuel, who ran out of the inferno carrying the child.

The Chabad Brooklyn Center has completed a Torah scroll dedicated to the six victims. It will be placed in the rebuilt Mumbai center.

DEBKAfile's counter-terror sources report that, while the attack was prepared operationally by Lashkar-e-Taiba branches in Pakistan, the planning, reconnaissance and selection of targets were orchestrated from a covert L-e-T cell in Chicago, USA, which the FBI broke up this month. They found its members of Pakistani origin had been functioning for three or four years at least to orchestrate terrorist attacks on behalf of al Qaeda's worldwide networks, the most spectacular of which was the Mumbai operation. But more were in the pipeline in India and Europe.

Federal agents are holding two key suspects David Headley (49), who was arrested on Oct. 10 at O’Hare International Airport before boarding a flight to Philadelphia, en route to Pakistan, and his aide Tahawar Hussain Rana (48), who was arrested on Oct. 18, 2009, at his home in Chicago. The many-tentacled network continued to unravel last week, when the Italian authorities in the northern town of Breschia detained two suspects of providing financial and logistic support to the L-e-T operation.

In his travels for scouting locations for targeting, Headley spent several nights at the targeted Mumbai hotels and the Chabad center, where he masqueraded as a religious Jew. At those sites, Headley marked out the rooms to be seized by the terrorists as assault positions and arranged for munitions to await them there.

This week, most ironically, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was visiting Washington and preparing to sign a pact for Washington and New Delhi to exchange intelligence and cooperate in the war on terror. While he has a long reckoning with Pakistan for harboring anti-Indian Muslim terrorists, the Indian prime minister had since learned that investigation of the Mumbai had led to a home-grown American cell.

Wednesday, Nov. 25, in Washington, the visiting prime minister paid homage to the Mumbai victims and vowed India would not rest until the perpetrators were brought to justice. In the past 24 hours, Pakistan has finally charged seven suspects formally with the attack, but Singh said a lot more needs to be done by Islamabad to fight terror. Indian sources suspect Pakistan timed the belated charges to win good media coverage for the Mumbai outrage's first anniversary.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Missing Evidence mars Mumbai massacre probe - Praveen Swami
The Ministry of External Affairs has written repeatedly to Pakistani authorities, asking that they arrange for repatriation of the remains of the two bodies which their investigators have conclusively identified, as those of Imran Babar and Mohammad Altaf. There has been no response.

For Indian investigators, the seven still-unidentified bodies are a metaphor for their larger frustration over Pakistan’s inability — or, worse, unwillingness — to make available critical evidence.
From the arrested fidayeen Kasab’s testimony, it is evident that the assault team was shown extensive videotape of the interiors of its targets. But no evidence has emerged that Ansari ever visited the Taj Mahal Hotel, the Trident Hotel, the Oberoi Hotel and Chabad House.

National Investigation Agency detectives are now exploring the possibility that David Headley and Tahawwur Rana, who were held by the FBI in Chicago last month, may have carried out pre-attack reconnaissance.

So far, though, there is no evidence that either man was actually involved in Mumbai-related reconnaissance. That, in turn, opens up the possibility that a separate Lashkar cell — or cells — may have been tasked with conducting reconnaissance.

“Pakistan,” one senior Mumbai police official argues, “claims that it has the architects of the attack in its custody. Why, then, why can’t it tell us who the Lashkar had tasked to videotape the targets?”
Pakistani authorities identified Lashkar operative Abdul Wajid as one of the Lashkar operatives who used the VOIP account to guide and motivate the assault teams.

But investigators there have so far failed to provide voice samples of Wajid, who operated under the code-name ‘Z.arar Shah.’ Despite an official request, Indian authorities have also been denied photographs of Wajid, which would allow the Mumbai police to confirm if he is indeed the individual known as ‘Zarar Shah’ to jihadists who met him in the past.

Muzammil Bhat, the Lashkar’s key military commander, also remains a fugitive.
Bahawalpur-based Shahidi Jamil Riaz and Rahim Yar Khan resident Hammad Amin Sadiq have been charged, according to an official Pakistani dossier, with “planning, preparing, financing, arranging boats, logistics, training, facilitating and launching LeT terrorist attacks from Karachi.” However, Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency has not produced any evidence linking the two men to top Lashkar commanders.

Nor have they identified those who trained the assault team, or acted to shut down any camps or logistics bases used for pre-attack preparation
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Tanaji

to throw more red flags

VinitaKamte's book raises issues with other parts of the operation includingRakesh Maria in the command center.

Not sure what to make of it yet
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

I was just watching the absorbing Headlines Today Channel's programme, "26/11: The Day Mumbai police Froze". It was a 1-hour programme with complete voice captures of all wireless messages among police units. It is very clear that while there were a few brave officers who took the initiative, most of the rest including the constables et al were clueless, didn't know how to handle the situation and at least in one case (at CST) were simply feeding wrong information to the control room (claiming firing was going on even half-an hour after the terrorists had gone to Cama hospital).
Why exactly are control room operators called Peter? The transcripts mention the cops addressing Colaba Control room as Peter Colaba? is this a British hangover?
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

According to you, these cases of terrorism would not have occurred had it not been for the communal riots.

The Babri Masjid [ Images ] incident and the Gujarat riots were a turning point.

Your book alleges that Hindu fundamentalists carried out a major share of terror acts in India. Are you suggesting that outfits like the Students Islamic Movement of India have absolutely no role in terrorism?

The cases against the Students Islamic Movement of India are fake. All the boys who were arrested were found to be innocent during the course of the investigation.

If this is the thinking of a IG of Police, we are in for tough times. Sounds like a Zaid Hamid clone.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Surya wrote:VinitaKamte's book raises issues with other parts of the operation includingRakesh Maria in the command center.

Rakesh Maria offers to quit

It is very obvious now, as I posted before, that the Mumbai police's reaction was slow, most of the policemen did not want to confront the terrorists, they did not have appropriate weaponry and gear (which continues even today) and they were incapable of tactics. Again, one can be pretty, pretty sure that these are not limited to just Mumbai. Every Indian city has the same or worse situation as far as security goes.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

sum wrote:

If this is the thinking of a IG of Police, we are in for tough times. Sounds like a Zaid Hamid clone.
Sum, this kind of issue always exists. The state brushes it under the carpet with willing help of the media.

If we raise it, we are called chaddiwala's.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Surya wrote:Tanaji

to throw more red flags

VinitaKamte's book raises issues with other parts of the operation includingRakesh Maria in the command center.

Has anyone access to this book? IF so, can someone post some relevant parts? I know its a long shot... Surya, have you read the book?

The book is sold out already. Here is an image of the book

http://www.breakingnewsonline.net/2009/ ... ullet.html

The publisher details are here

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Day-One-K ... 80600.aspx
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

tanaji

could not find the book at crossword in Bandra

all my info is based on a vinitas interviews
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

NDTV had aired a programme "Men who saved Mumbai" yesterday between 10-11pm. BRF favorite, BD interviewed JK Dutta, ex-NSG Director and they walked to all the sites of operations. Some tid-bits (some of you/all may know this)-

1. The conversation of piglets and handlers was fed live/real time to the DG and update him of their plan and other details.
2. NSG Team was good to go at 1:30am. The delay is attributed to getting the aircrew to come to the base. "We did not have capability to put things on 24hrs stand-by".**
3. Effort was made by Israel to save the people in Chabad house. They did open up negotiations/dialogue with the terrorists. In the coversation clip aired, some one was translating thing from english(israeli contact person) to Punjabi.
4. IB actually gave the mobile number of a terrorist, mistaking it to be that of a hostage in Chabad house, to NSG Director.This was done to help them to speak, if possible, to a hostage and gauge the number and location of piglets. But IB corrected the mistake before the call could be made.
5.Openly told BD that media gave away crucial ops info in their lust for news and TRP.***

** This I think is the politically correct answer. Blame the IAF and the poor aircrew who cannot come online and give their defence. Also, the aircrew wouldhave gone to residence only if the "system" did not require them to be suited and be ready to take off in a jiffy. This also means that a/c might not have been refuelled. We do maintain a 2 minute ORP, we can maintain this also. Another thing, how far would have aircrew resided? Max. 30min travel time to base. IMHO,they are covering up for someting
***The ex-director was too soft when he said this. Just imagine ACM Barbora in his place...
AjayKK
BRFite

Post by AjayKK »

Shamsuddin Miyalal Mushrif has immunity from common sense and practically everything else as his brother Hasan Miyalal Mushrif is a cabinet rank minister (labour ministry) in Maharashtra.
Apart from being a powerful politician of the NCP, he also has interests in co-operative banks, sugar and dairy co-operative organisations. Shamsuddin Miyalal Mushrif's stand against all things Hindu is well known is MH circles.

From the contents of the book "Who Killed Karkare" , make your own conclusions
Table of Contents

I: Hindu-Muslim riots

II: Switching gears — from Communalism to the bogey of “Muslim terrorism”

III: Bomb blast investigations

i) Mumbai Train bomb blast case of 2006 (11 July 2006)

ii) Malegaon bomb blast case (8 September 2006)

iii) Ahmedabad bomb blasts & Surat unexploded bombs (26 July 2008)

iv) Delhi bomb blast 2008 (13 September 2008)

v) Samjhauta Express bomb blast case (19 February 2007)

vi) Hyderabad Mecca Masjid Blast (18 May 2007)

vii) Ajmer Sharif Dargah Blast (11 October 2007)

viii) Serial Blasts in U.P. courts (23 November 2007)

ix) Jaipur Blasts (13 May 2008)

IV: Nanded bomb blast (5 April 2006)

V: Malegaon Bomb Blast 2008

VI: Who Killed Karkare?

Part I: The Brahminist elements in the IB and in the Naval Intelligence Directorate deliberately blocked the hot intelligence given by the U.S. and the RAW

Part II: 16 CCTVs at the CST were tampered with

Part III: The “terrorists” at CST used SIM cards which had Satara connections

Part IV: Out of the 284 calls received by the terrorists from their handlers in Pakistan by using VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol Technology), not a single call was received by Kasab and Ismail Khan

Part V: The Terrorists spoke fluent Marathi

Part VI: Out of 46 persons killed at CST, 22 were Muslims

Part VII: Karkare led to the trap

Part VIII: Ajmal Kasab was arrested in Kathmandu (Nepal) before 2006 by Indian agencies

Part IX: Much-publicised photograph of Ajmal Kasab

Part X: A woman witness forcibly taken to the U.S. for interrogation and recording her statement, but she did not budge

Part XI: Holes galore in the Mumbai Crime Branch story

A) The timing of firing at CST-CAMA

B ) The number of terrorists at CST

C) The exit of the terrorists from the CST

D) The “Skoda” theory

E) The number of terrorists killed in the Girgaum Chowpatty

An alternative theory of Mumbai terror attack

I) The mystery of taxi blasts at Vile Parle and Wadi Bundar

II) An offence under the Official Secrets Act

III) The government’s anxiety to keep the Pradhan Panel report under wraps — the selective leakage of the report is a red herring

Perfect case for reinvestigation

VII: The Investigation of the Mumbai Attack case

VIII: Malegaon blast case of 2008 — Post-Mumbai attack investigation

Abhinav Bharat

Bhonsala Military School

Akanksha Resort

“Mithun Chakravorty”

Many suspects spared: Himani Savarkar, VHP leader Praveen Togadia, Three “VHP leaders” from Gujarat, A top Delhi-based leader of VHP, Dr. Sharad Kunte, Prof. Deo, Shamrao Apte, Two “well-known historians” from Pune, Milind Ekbote, former BJP Corporator, Pune , Jayant Chitale, Retd. Col

Wider network ignored

MCOCA not for Purohit & Co.

What will happen to Malegaon case next?

IX: Dubious role of Maharashtrian Brahminists

Maharashtra, the Hindutva (Brahminist) laboratory

No political leader of Maharashtra dares take on Brahminists

X: The Chargesheet against the IB

XI: Urgent measures needed to save country & society

Annexure A: Important points in respect of the specific intelligence about the Mumbai terror attack

Annexure B: The transcript of the wireless conversation

Map: A sketch of the area which witnessed major terror incidents and Hemant Karkare’s murder
When anyone uses "Maharashtrian Brahminists" and " Hindutva (Brahminist) laboratory" to shift the blame away from Kasab, he rightly and richly deserves the tag "Resident Indian Paki"
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Just so we understand our political leaders and their indifference:

The Lok Sabha had a blood donation camp set up in honor of 26/11 victims.

A grand total of 9 MPs donated blood
Out of the 48 Lok Sabha MPs from Maharashtra, not 1 donated blood
Out of the 16 Rajya Sabha MPs from Maharashtra, not 1 donated blood
(forget about the MPs from Mumbai)

There were 9 MPs from SS, 9 from BJP, 15 from Congress and 4 from NCP present in the House today. If one leaves out the ones over 60, there were at least 25-30 eligible to donate blood , but not a single one donated.

Just as well, their blood is dirty anyway.

(Used the report from Sakal as the basis: http://72.78.249.124/esakal/20091127/47 ... 805554.htm)
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

Tanaji wrote: (Used the report from Sakal as the basis: http://72.78.249.124/esakal/20091127/47 ... 805554.htm)
Comment

"Barobar aahe.....kase denar he nete lok aple rakta...tyanchya sharirat rakatach nahiye....nusti daru bharliye......majj bharlaya...." :lol:
Atri
BRF Oldie

Post by Atri »

http://www.loksatta.com/lokprabha/20091204/cover01.htm - an article in marathi

Kumar Ketkar's article on similar lines - http://www.loksatta.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=117

article on activities of Mossad -http://www.loksatta.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=117

What the **** is wrong with people?

How can they even think on such sick terms.. I thought zion hamid is unique shithead.. but this jagtap guy is equally an asswhole..

Basic gist of first article's brahmin connection - key questions raised :roll: are why were nuclear tests conducted on Buddha-puurnima... why was babri mosque demolished on 6th december (death anniversary of ambedkar).. why was mumbai attacked on 26/11 (day when constitution {written by ambedkar} was implemented)..
२००६ मध्ये या दाऊद गिलानीने स्वत:चं नाव बदललं आणि तो डेव्हिड हेडली बनला. अमेरिका आणि इतर देशांच्या सीमा ओलांडणं सोपं व्हावं, हा त्याचा यामागचा हेतू होता. असा एक कयास आहे की, याच काळात हेडलीने अमेरिकेच्या हेर संस्थांसाठी- एफबीआय किंवा सीआयए यांच्यासाठी काम करण्यास सुरुवात केली असावी.
गेल्या दोन वर्षांच्या काळात हेडली भारतात अनेकदा आला, आणि अनेकदा बाहेर गेला. फिरोजच्या मते, ‘अभिनव भारतसारख्या हिंदू दहशतवादी संघटनांनी देशभरात केलेल्या स्फोटांच्या दिवसांशी त्याच्या भारतातल्या वास्तव्याच्या तारखा जुळतात!’
फिरोजचा सर्वात मोठा आरोप आहे तो, अमेरिकेतल्या भारतीय राजदुतांवर. त्याच्या मते हेडली आणि राणा या दोघांनाही मिळालेला व्हिसा हा कॉन्सुल जनरलच्या विशेषाधिकारात देण्यात आलेला आहे. हे करताना पाकिस्तानात जन्मलेल्या व्यक्तीसंबंधी भारतीय गृह खात्याने घालून दिलेल्या अनेक नियमांचं उल्लंघन करण्यात आलं, असा त्याचा स्पष्ट आरोप आहे.
भारतीय राजदूत रोनेन सेन यांनी त्यांच्या विशेषाधिकाराचा वापर का केला; याची सर्वोच्च पातळीवर तपासणी व्हायला हवी, अशी त्याची मागणी आहे.
या सर्व टेरर गौडबंगालाला देशांतर्गत एक सामाजिक संदर्भही आहेच. किशोर जगताप त्याकडे लक्ष वेधतो.
किशोर म्हणतो, ‘‘साम्राज्यवादी आणि झायोनिस्टांना साथसोबत करणारे आपल्या देशातील ब्राह्मण्यवादी आहेत.’’
अभिनव भारत, सनातन प्रभात या मिनी हिंदुत्ववादी संघटनांनी नांदेड, मालेगाव आणि गोव्यात घडवलेल्या बॉम्बस्फोटांच्या घटनांचा संदर्भ तो देतो..
‘‘बुध्द पौर्णिमेलाच आपल्या देशात अणुस्फोटाची चाचणी केली जाते. ओबीसी हितासाठी मंडल आयोग आणला जात असताना डॉ. बाबासाहेब आंबेडकरांच्या महापरिनिर्वाण दिनी सहा डिसेंबरलाच बाबरी मशीद पाडली जाते. आणि आता तर ज्या २६ नोव्हेंबरच्या (१९४९) दिवशी बाबासाहेबांनी देशाला घटना अर्पण केली तो दिवस महाराष्ट्रात प्रथमच संविधान दिन म्हणून घोषीत केला जातो (२००९) आणि त्याच दिवशी म्हणजे २६ नोव्हेंबर २००९ रोजी मुंबईवर दहशतवादी हल्ला होतो. हा सगळा घटनाक्रम काय स्पष्ट करतो? एकच गोष्ट- इस्रायली झायोनिझम आणि अमेरिकी साम्राज्यवाद यांच्याशी देशातील ब्राह्मण्यावाद्यंनी हातमिळवणी केलेली आहे’’, किशोर तावातावाने समजावून सांगण्याचा प्रयत्न करतो.
२६ नोव्हेंबरचा संविधान दिन ‘ब्लॅक डे’ म्हणून घोषीत होईल, अशी भीती किशोर जगतापला वाटत होती. ती भीती पण हा लेख लिहून पूर्ण होत असतानाच खरी ठरली आहे. सरकारने ‘२६ नोव्हेंबर हा ब्लॅक डे’ म्हणून घोषीत केल्याची बातमी आलेली आहे!
शेकडो निष्पाप जीवांचा बळी घेणारी ही दहशतवादी ‘भस्मासुराची फॅक्टरी’ निर्माण करण्यामागे कुणाचा ‘अदृश्य हात’ आहे, हे आता हळूहळू उघड होत आहे. त्या दिशेने तपास यंत्रणा कामाला लावून लवकरात लवकर हा ‘अदृष्य हात’ कायमचा उखडून टाकण्याचं मोठं आव्हान फक्त भारतातल्याच नव्हे, तर जगभरातल्या सर्व शांतताप्रेमी देशांच्या पोलीस यंत्रणांसमोर आहे. त्यात यश आल्याशिवाय बुद्ध तर सोडाच, कुणीही हसू शकणार नाही
Should these be answered OR should these be ignored?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Chiron wrote:Should these be answered OR should these be ignored?
They should be simply ignored. We cannot dissect or answer every such article written by some lunatic fringe.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

SSridhar wrote:
Chiron wrote:Should these be answered OR should these be ignored?
They should be simply ignored. We cannot diiscet or answer every such article written by some lunatic fringe.
Unfortunately, Kumar Ketkar is the editor of Loksatta, one of the most prominent dailies in Marathi and belonging to the Express stable. Though I would agree that he is a lunatic, he is definitely MSM and not on the fringes.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Chiron wrote: Basic gist of first article's brahmin connection - key questions raised :roll: are why were nuclear tests conducted on Buddha-puurnima... why was babri mosque demolished on 6th december (death anniversary of ambedkar).. why was mumbai attacked on 26/11 (day when constitution {written by ambedkar} was implemented)..

Because the Brahmins were following the Hindu calendar and carefully and considerately chose days that did not coincide with all these important events close to the hearts of Indians. It is sad to see a Western Gregorian calendar being used. In fact if an Aztec calendar was used it would coincide with important dates in the life of Manu whom the Brahmins respect too muchly. Yet they did not bother about some Aztec-Shaztec calendar.

Jo Lahore mein G woh PMBG. :P
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

tanaji

looks like Vinita's book sold out at Strand

believe more copies are being ordered

I think Maria can answer some charges but not sure how he will explain the incorrect position he passed on to Gaffoor.

looks like a faction ridden police which the Chavans and RR patils are exploiting to divert attention from their own incompetence
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Rediff Books says they have it available for 300Rs with free shipping.

http://books.rediff.com/bookshop/bkprod ... _Political
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

I will try Crossword again

BTW Maria wants to be given permission to reply or he will quit andcounter them
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

sum wrote: Why exactly are control room operators called Peter? The transcripts mention the cops addressing Colaba Control room as Peter Colaba? is this a British hangover?

Just a guess. On a common channel heard by many services Peter could mean "P" for Police, and "Father" for F- Fire Service. a bit like pilots referring to Alpha Romeo something for AR.

There is an old joke about an Indian Airlines order to change ATC-Pilot communication from English to Hindi. A pilot in an aircraft designated "VDU"(Victor Dog Uncle) had to land but there was a cow on the runway. Normally ATC would have called "Victor Dog Uncle. Victor Dog Uncle. There is a cow on the runway". Under the new guidelines he is supposed to have said "Kutta chacha. kutta chacha. Daud raaste (runway) pey go mata baithi hai" :shock: :lol:
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

When anyone uses "Maharashtrian Brahminists" and " Hindutva (Brahminist) laboratory" to shift the blame away from Kasab, he rightly and richly deserves the tag "Resident Indian Paki"
No issue with it was that ( there are anyways tons of such people in Desh) but this guy is supposed to have been an IG of police.
Ever since reading that article, been feeling scared that if this is the "moderate" and "educated" face of IMs, where is the nation headed if such a large portion of the population( ~20%) are living in blatant denial?
Umrao Das
BRFite

Post by Umrao Das »

X posting
Never forgive the audacity of the crime by TS Pakis

Never forget the complicity of our government in the crime.

I was in London Heathrow just out of the flight from Mumbai enroute to EWR.
Boss there can not be a terrorit attack in India with out the complacency of GOI period.

We are to blame ourselves nobody else.... but then .....

rest all is garam hawa.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

looks like a faction ridden police which the Chavans and RR patils are exploiting to divert attention from their own incompetence
Suryaji, you are right. Check this out

http://news.rediff.com/special/2009/nov ... ve-him.htm
Vinita Kamte's book, that carries the allegations against Maria, was launched at the Taj Mahal hotel [ Images ] on Tuesday. On the dais amongst others was Maria's boss, Mumbai Police Commissioner D Sivanandan.

At such a senior level nobody attends a public function without reading the book. It speaks volumes on the vertical divide within the Mumbai police force.
Now this is even stranger:
In another shocker the Mumbai police told the Pradhan Committee that more forces were sent to the Cama Hospital than even the Taj Mahal hotel or Nariman House.
Wireless intercepts and other reports say otherwise. How can both be correct? Question is what was the time frame when the reinforcements were sent... The other thing of course is, why was Kamte in Cama hospital?
A Mumbai police source, who has gone through crucial parts of the log book, says, "Vinita Kamte is an emotional and angry lady. By writing a book she has got the satisfaction of hitting out at Maria, but she has also damaged the police force."
Classic defence adopted these days to avoid inconvenient facts from getting out. The logic is that a public airing of the affair helps no one and demoralizes the members and ultimately hurts the reputation of the institution. We see this defence being used a lot and it would have been applicable if the institution in question can be trusted enough to make the right decisions, house cleaning and corrective measures. Sadly, the Mumbai police force has through its history proved that it is corrupt, inefficient and does not learn from its mistakes. Yes, its better than the police force from Bihar, but thats not much. And it has also proved that elements in it are rank cowards (Gafoor's statement).

For the grace of God, there are men like Ombale and others that still contribute the force some respect.

Expect more "we-should-not-discuss-this-affair-Gafoor's-comments-are-inadvised" types of statements from more worthies in the future.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Not posted here, Vinita Kamte's interview:

http://news.rediff.com/interview/2009/n ... erview.htm

The million $ question:
I am not denying that forces were sent. If they sent 200 people, where were they? Show me where they were.

Why would these officers be lying there for 45 minutes whereas it takes less than two minutes to reach that spot from where the forces were?
Read all. What a state of affairs.

It may even happen that Maria will resign over this if the government does not support him. That will be yet another major major informant network that will be lost.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Tanaji wrote:Not posted here, Vinita Kamte's interview:

The million $ question:
I am not denying that forces were sent. If they sent 200 people, where were they? Show me where they were.

Why would these officers be lying there for 45 minutes whereas it takes less than two minutes to reach that spot from where the forces were?
Read all. What a state of affairs.

It may even happen that Maria will resign over this if the government does not support him. That will be yet another major major informant network that will be lost.
maria was the quiet one who took on the underworld whilst ab tak CHappan took a lot of the glory and maybe had interesting friends... perhaps the friends are getting their own back?
Karna_A
BRFite

Post by Karna_A »

There was a segment on NDTV where Chidamabaram asks a guy(who was complaining against inaction by India against TSP) what would he have done if he had been instead of Chidambaram since War is not an option. The guy couldn't list one decent thing.

Well how about this:

(a) Use all illegal wealth of Madhu Koda(4000 Crore) to arm and train Police in 20 major cities. Maharastra gave just 200 crore for Force one and this Koda guy alone had 4K crore!
(b) If 20 such politicians wealth is taken, it can make the whole police force all over India into NSG level training.
(c) All the politicians wealth is enough to make all Indians into NSG commandoes with spare change to buy few squadrons of MKIs, few aircraft carriers, ships, millions of BPJs etc.
Remember, Hassan Ali from Pune alone had 30K crore mostly from political class.

And that's just a start
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Tanaji wrote: Now this is even stranger:
In another shocker the Mumbai police told the Pradhan Committee that more forces were sent to the Cama Hospital than even the Taj Mahal hotel or Nariman House.
Wireless intercepts and other reports say otherwise.
Tanaji wrote:Not posted here, Vinita Kamte's interview:
The million $ question:
Tanaji, from that Headlines Today programme which I posted above, it was clear that a posse of armed policemen was sent to Madame Cama hospital after the request was made and they arrived when the firing was going on between Date and the terrorists. However, instead of reaching the hospital, they decided to take positions on top of an Islamic (?) school 100 or 200 metres away from the hospital.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

A PBS video on 26/11. Please watch, even if it is focused on westerners. It is still a Victim's perspective.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

the tamasha continues

RR patil to meet Vinita

Ribiero who was chief guest says her conclusions ARE wrong
He says he only glanced through the manuscript and now has read the details,

So does PS Pasricha

spoke to an old retired babu who still has his connections.

His feelings are that powerful enemies of Maria are out to get him.