Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
schinnas
BRFite

Re: Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

Post by schinnas »

Edit: Materially re-wrote the post:

While several good things came out of the work of Rajeev Malhotra, one unfortunate side effect is to imagine a larger than life EJ themed CTs to anything related to India even if the EJs are fringe parties. That seems to be the case with those who confuse SL issue because EJs are trying to get into the mix. It is totally backward. Because India is leaving a vaccum in SL, EJs, Pakis and Chinese will all get to fill that space. The solution is not to give even more room for them but to take the room ourselves. In this case, solving SL issue is not only in our long term interest but is also the right thing to do - can even be considered our Dharma.

One should note that not only EJs, but even Sri Sri Ravishankar-ji whose organization has done tremendous work in Sri Lanka, bring peace to both parties also wants India to help solve Sri Lankan problem.
Last edited by schinnas on 27 Oct 2014 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

schinnas wrote:I am not going to bother with what you think as I don't expect someone who is obsessed with any concept to be able to understand a broader issue as they will see everything through a tainted eye. Sri Lankan issue has nothing to do with the comedians in Tamil Nadu (including the EJs with whom you are obsessed) who are trying to fish in troubled waters. The only reason they even have any breathing space is because GoI has not tackled the problem head-on but letting it fester more and more. You can really begin to understand Sri lankan problem by focusing on Sri lanka not shady characters in TN.

Also since so far you have not been able to (or choose not to) refute my points based on logic, I am not going to post further until you say something of relevance to the points that I made earlier.

PS:
What it is worth, Sri Sri Ravishankar-ji also wants to solve Sri Lankan problem. Just like the Norway folks, Sri Sri also tried to stop the genocide in the last days of Sri Lankan war and tried for peace despite lack of co-operation from GoI and recalcitrant attitude of LTTE and its fanatical boss to Sri Sri's suggestions to lay down arms before final war where tens of thousands of Innocents were killed by Sri Lanka government making reconciliation between Tamils and Singhalese a difficult proposition.

In your books does it make Sri Sri an EJ as well? What about admirers of Sri Sri including Modi-ji. Are they EJs aswell in your book?
schinnas, ji.

I respect and follow Ravishankar and Modi as much as anyone else. If you talk of the norway folks and Ravishankar in the same breath then you really do not know what you are talking about. You have neither understood the norway folks nor Ravishankar. Pity.

did you even follow the endgame of the lankan ltte war? If you did then a lot of things would have been very clear to you.

Ravishankar surely wants to solve the lankan problem but just not in the same way that you want.

Please feel free to put me on your ignore list.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Philip -

India surrendered its leverage in Sri Lanka by not interfering even in last days when the war turned into ethnic cleansing. Currently the option before India is two folds.

1. Pressure Rajapakse into giving equal rights for Tamils and honor the accord with Rajiv Gandhi. Do thorough background check and give SL refugees in India citizenship, atleast to those who werre born in India in refugee camps. Both of this will take the steam out of TN politicians and EJs who try to fish in troubled waters. India has tons of leverage over Sri Lanka if they refuse to play ball. Remember that the status of Katchathevu can be disputed and India can do to SL, what China is doing to its neighbors in South China Sea. But that should only be the plan B / last option. Carrot policy could work better.

2. Drop the misguided Sethu canal project and Build a bridge and rail line to Sri Lanka. This will trigger a flood of tourism and investment to Sri Lanka from South India. This would be the best India can do to economically develop Sri Lanka (including rehabilitation and employment for Sri Lankan Tamils). Also improve cultural exchange - start pilgrimage tours between India and SL - Hindus can have the pilgrimage to Saivite and Kaumara (Lord Murugan) sites of which Kandi Kathirgama is one of the holiest for Lord Muruga (Karthikeya) devotees (most folks in TN are Karthikeya devotees). Similarly Singhalese can visit Buddist sites via cheap train travel. The possibilities for tourism and people to people contact are enormous. India should develop Trinconomalee port, which is an excellent deep water port.

India until now has made several blunders. Chief amongst it our failure to cultivate set of influential Sri Lankan Tamil intellects or writers or political leaders who can help take India's voice to SL and bring a closure to this issue. If influential SL voices say that they have got equal rights and are happy in united Sri Lanka, the clownish TN politicians will not have any room to play mischief.

In Sri Lanka I see a <b> historic opportunity </b> for India to not only correct its past mistakes, but also to genuinely end the discrimination and take trade and tourism links with the island nation to an entirely new level. The explosive economic benefits we could bring to SL will make anything Chinese could offer to pale in comparison. This could also hugely benefit economy of TN, Kerala and AP. Imagine refinieries in TN selling gas and petrole to SL and lesser price than they currently get. Tourism alone will be a multi-billion dollar industry.

India is THE largest market next to SL. The carrot of a direct road and rail link to SL will be huge for the Lankans (assuming we put in place trade policies to ensure that it is a win-win for both parties). We just need to think big and think fresh and not let ourselves be clouded by petty miscreants.
Last edited by schinnas on 27 Oct 2014 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

chetak wrote: Ravishankar surely wants to solve the lankan problem but just not in the same way that you want.

Chetak-ji, I guess our argument got little heated with lot of personal attacks from both sides. What Sri Sri wants is what I want. A devotee's wish cannot be different than their Guru's.

Sri Sri genuinely wants to solve the SL problem and his SL policy is based on merits of the cast and is not influenced by EJs or TN political clowns do. If you had really read my posts you would notice that I tried to stick to merits of the case. Cho and Su Swamy fail in understanding SL because they look at it through colored prism and hence their viewpoint is tainted and removed from reality.

As Sri Ramakrishna said, the way to remove darkness is by lighting a lamp - not by fighting with darkness. In my reply to Philip, I outlined what India can do constructively to both solve the issue in a just manner and bring SL into our economic orbit in a win-win manner. India ALONE can help solve Sri Lanka problem. The more we follow a hands-off policy, not only we slip from our dharma (IMHO) but also let SL move away from India's orbit and become a Chinese puppet. FWIW, Chinese are also liberally bribing SL politicians and officials just like they did in Maldives.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Philip, Chetak-
India is doing it wrong - by trying to deal with SL by offering them expensive military gadgets of which they don't really have a need and which would not solve the root problem, but aggravate the situation in TN making matters more complicated in the future.

One thing needs to be fully understood. China, Pakis and EJs would want SL Tamil issue to keep festering because it helps their agenda of limiting India's influence or other more nefarious things. India and most importantly SL stand to benefit from addressing genuine concerns of SL Tamils. So the recent gifting of two NOPVs to SL Navy is not a really welcome move but actually a misguided and half baked attempt that will change nothing on the ground except minor co-operation from SL. It will make the public opinion anti-center in TN. It will not wean SL away from China and SL will further play its game of pitting India and China play against each other and get freebies in the process. Rajapakse is a master of playing one party against another which he is doing with India and China.

India, for her own interest need to find a just solution to SL tamil problem and bring closure to it asap. In parallel, follow a massive road and rail project with SL. Japan will be very happy to partially fund such infrastructure project as SL is one of their top aided nations (due to it being a Buddist state). That will make SL truly indepted (or integrated) to India at economic and people contact levels. Chinese could never meet it. On the other hand, giving two boats is something that will come no-where close to the investment that Chinese have brought to SL.

Our MEA suffers from myopic thinking and fails to think outside the box. It is actually a nobrainer to wean SL away from Chinese influence but not in timid dumb-ass way we are current approaching. Our clueless MEA and 10 years of Madam rule by proxy has really made a mess of India's relationship with all its neighbours including Nepal and SL. What stopped India from building train links to Kathmandu from Lucknow / Patna and from Chennai to Colombu (with all SL Tamil regions on the way)?
Last edited by schinnas on 27 Oct 2014 09:43, edited 2 times in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

schinnas wrote:
chetak wrote: Ravishankar surely wants to solve the lankan problem but just not in the same way that you want.

Chetak-ji, I guess our argument got little heated with lot of personal attacks from both sides. What Sri Sri wants is what I want. A devotee's wish cannot be different than their Guru's.

Sri Sri genuinely wants to solve the SL problem and his SL policy is based on merits of the cast and is not influenced by EJs or TN political clowns do. If you had really read my posts you would notice that I tried to stick to merits of the case. Cho and Su Swamy fail in understanding SL because they look at it through colored prism and hence their viewpoint is tainted and removed from reality.

As Sri Ramakrishna said, the way to remove darkness is by lighting a lamp - not by fighting with darkness. In my reply to Philip, I outlined what India can do constructively to both solve the issue in a just manner and bring SL into our economic orbit in a win-win manner. India ALONE can help solve Sri Lanka problem. The more we follow a hands-off policy, not only we slip from our dharma (IMHO) but also let SL move away from India's orbit and become a Chinese puppet. FWIW, Chinese are also liberally bribing SL politicians and officials just like they did in Maldives.
schinnas, ji.

Please read through my posts carefully.

I did not attack you personally.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

schinnas wrote:India surrendered its leverage in Sri Lanka by not interfering even in last days when the war turned into ethnic cleansing. Currently the option before India is two folds.

1. Pressure Rajapakse into giving equal rights for Tamils and honor the accord with Rajiv Gandhi. Do thorough background check and give SL refugees in India citizenship, atleast to those who werre born in India in refugee camps. Both of this will take the steam out of TN politicians and EJs who try to fish in troubled waters. India has tons of leverage over Sri Lanka if they refuse to play ball. Remember that the status of Katchathevu can be disputed and India can do to SL, what China is doing to its neighbors in South China Sea. But that should only be the plan B / last option. Carrot policy could work better.

2. Drop the misguided Sethu canal project and Build a bridge and rail line to Sri Lanka. This will trigger a flood of tourism and investment to Sri Lanka from South India. This would be the best India can do to economically develop Sri Lanka (including rehabilitation and employment for Sri Lankan Tamils). Also improve cultural exchange - start pilgrimage tours between India and SL - Hindus can have the pilgrimage to Saivite and Kaumara (Lord Murugan) sites of which Kandi Kathirgama is one of the holiest for Lord Muruga (Karthikeya) devotees (most folks in TN are Karthikeya devotees). Similarly Singhalese can visit Buddist sites via cheap train travel. The possibilities for tourism and people to people contact are enormous. India should develop Trinconomalee port, which is an excellent deep water port.

India until now has made several blunders. Chief amongst it our failure to cultivate set of influential Sri Lankan Tamil intellects or writers or political leaders who can help take India's voice to SL and bring a closure to this issue. If influential SL voices say that they have got equal rights and are happy in united Sri Lanka, the clownish TN politicians will not have any room to play mischief.

In Sri Lanka I see a <b> historic opportunity </b> for India to not only correct its past mistakes, but also to genuinely end the discrimination and take trade and tourism links with the island nation to an entirely new level. The explosive economic benefits we could bring to SL will make anything Chinese could offer to pale in comparison. This could also hugely benefit economy of TN, Kerala and AP. Imagine refinieries in TN selling gas and petrole to SL and lesser price than they currently get. Tourism alone will be a multi-billion dollar industry.

India is THE largest market next to SL. The carrot of a direct road and rail link to SL will be huge for the Lankans (assuming we put in place trade policies to ensure that it is a win-win for both parties). We just need to think big and think fresh and not let ourselves be clouded by petty miscreants.
schinnas, ji.

Bridge and rail link will not happen, at least in our lifetimes. There is almost a violent opposition to it in TN. This has also been a long standing abrasive lankan demand, given their firebrand sinhalese politics. The lankans have even explored landfall in Kerala for the bridge and rail link.

Katchathevu is still legally Indian. It requires a still pending act of parliament to cede Indian territory to another country. Morally, it already belongs to them. We can never get it back, unless they give it back to us on their own.

Sethu project is a DMK retirement fund project and a virulent anti Hindu project encouraged slyly by the EJs to deliver a body blow to Hindu beliefs.

The Indian Tamils have had malayali, kannada and telugu leaders so far, but not a true Hindu focused genuine Tamil leader and I am not making up the EJ thingee. Read up on bishop caldwell and his activities.

We have missed the bus as far as the chinese are concerned. we can try and minimize the damage. Don't want to flood the market with cheeni goods from lanka or even via lanka.

We saw the ISI trying to target South India from lanka. What else is left for us now?? This is due to the short sighted TN politics dictated by EJ separatist drivers from within and without India
Last edited by chetak on 27 Oct 2014 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

I wish to make certain points here:

1. As a principle we are against external interference in any nation. This idea is developed from the colonial period and served us well. SL is a separate nation and it and its people have a right to chart out their own course. We should not interfere in that.

2. We can do much well by doing backdoor negotiations etc with SL and have better chances of getting a better deal for Tamils in SL than following the path advocated by TN policos.

3. No one is opposing if GOI gives some financial package to Tamil areas in SL like hospitals etc so that the people on the ground are helped after decades of brutal war. But it is this demand to somehow legitimize the LTTE directly or indirectly which are the major problem.

4. TN politicos and people of TN has no role or should have no role in how to deal with SL and what should be our relationship with them. It is just like we don’t want Indian Muslims to have no role in our relations with Pakistan or any OIC nations or Israel for that matter. External Affairs are to me dealt with larger national interests in mind and not the views of a section of the society.

5. There is no systematic killing of civilians in the war as for as my knowledge goes. I am a mango man and I may be wrong. But it they are then SL people will deal with it. All wars, especially civil wars will lead to civilian causalities. That is inevitable. Unless there is a very strong proof the charge of Genocide should not be levelled against any nation particularly a non gora nation like SL.

6. In the final days of war LTTE was hiding among civilians. It is the same tactic they have used against IPKF also and lot of Indian Solders lost their lives trying to survive such attacks from LTTE. The manner in which IPKF people were treated by LTTE is extremely bad. LTTE was also using child solders, killing civilian leaders who opposed and basically running a terror state in the areas under its control. We also lost one national level leader to LTTE. SL lost many of their leaders, both Tamil and Simhala. LTTE carried terror attacks inside India. With all this we should not take any stand which may directly or indirectly benefit the residual over ground LTTE now.

7. We cannot have a natural animosity with nations in our part of the world. We cannot help it in case of Pakistan and there is no need to have such adversarial relation with SL. Already China is taking advantage of our stupidity in SL.

8. As much as TN politicos may dislike SL and India are children of the same civilization. This divisive politic need not be followed as civilization we are all one people.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good show, saar.

As good a summing up as any that you are likely to get.

bribe, scheme, plot, convince and get by cooperation what ever you want. No heavy handed approach to the lankans. We are already building houses, hospitals, rail lines and what not in lanka. We can do more, whatever else is required.

Our national interest MUST be supreme and not that of some raggedy ass ltte criminals.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

chetak wrote: Bridge and rail link will not happen, at least in our lifetimes. There is almost a violent opposition to it in TN. This has also been a long standing abrasive lankan demand, given their firebrand sinhalese politics. The lankans have even explored landfall in Kerala for the bridge and rail link.

Katchathevu is still legally Indian. It requires a still pending act of parliament to cede Indian territory to another country. Morally, it already belongs to them. We can never get it back, unless they give it back to us on their own.

We have missed the bus as far as the chinese are concerned. we can try and minimize the damage. Don't want to flood the market with cheeni goods from lanka or even via lanka.

We saw the ISI trying to target South India from lanka. What else is left for us now?? This is due to the short sighted TN politics dictated by EJ separatist drivers from within and without India
I am less worried about Katchathivu right now. If a land / rail link can be built and an larger petrochemical and ship-building SEZ established near Tuticorin area, there will be ample gainful employment opportunities for the fighermen there that they would not be obsessed about fishing rights in Katchathivu.

It all depends on how the public perception is managed. We need to learn from AmriKhans in how they sway public opinion. Even if they make a mess of what they do, they excel in PR and media manipulation. It would require commissioning reputed global consultants on economic benefit to SL (both larger SL economy and rehabilitation of SL Tamils) and India. We should cultivate influential politicians, intellectuals, media personalities in both TN and SL and create a hype around it. India should also go out of the way to finance this railways.

The news papers in TN and SL need to be flooded with articles on the potential economic and cultural benefits and opportunities for tourism related industries (imagine how many hotels and restaurants would need to be built in SL to accommodate several million additional Indian tourists every year)? For folks in South TN, SL could become a weekend getaway. Same for SL folks - TN and Kerala could become a weekend getaway with a daily Shatabti train between Colombu / Jaffna and Tuticorn (which will have other already established connections to Chennai, Madurai and Cochin). South TN is both dry and economically under-developed and this will significantly revive the economy there.

In India, especially TN, lot more emphasis would need to be given to how it can help in re-building economy of SL Tamil regions and South TN. TN political goons generally ask WIIIFM (What Is In It For Me?). If the sub-contracts of the project are allotted to TR Balus and Sasikalas' both DMK and ADMK will cautiously welcome it. SL will see it with suspicion as they are afraid of India as big brother which could get road access to their country. But a similar policy can work if orchestrated correctly. Corruption is also the way of live in SL. The guess is that Chinese generously bribe influential persons in SL and other countries to enable favourable decision making. Also if the Tamil issue is solved beforehand, it will alleviate some fear Lankans might have of more or frequent Indian intervention.

If there is any team that could pull it off, it would be the current Sarkar. It would be an outstanding legacy for Modi-ji.

From engineering perspective, Sea based land / rail links via Kerala would be expensive even if it can be built. Given that the Sethu sand dunes already exist, it will be easier to put a land route on top of it. This is not my idea. Mahakavi Bharathi envisioned it in 19030s as "Sethuvai Meduruthi Vethi Samaippom" (We shall heighten Ram Sethu and lay a road on it).

Given the historic, cultural, religious and geographic proximity of SL (both Tamils and Singhalese) to India, it would be unpardonable for India to cede ground to Chinese here. If there is a will, there is a way. With no strong political force active in TN (as JJ is running after courts and Karuna is impotently watching his kids fight for the party leadership) it is the right time for us to move in.

PS:

1. I have edited my previous posts so the thread is focused.
2. Chinese goods entering via the road / rail link is not a big concern as they can more easily enter through Chennai / Calcutta port.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Chetak, Yagnasri-
No need to answer to Vaiko's demands in your response to my post :) Noone in BRF (least of all myself) are rooting for LTTE elements. It appears are preaching to the choir. However, we cannot behave like an ostrich and imaging schools and hospitals will solve the root cause. The root cause is discriminatory treatment of Tamils in SL. We can promote India style federalism to SL but in a skillful manner (behind the scene with minimal PR) and definitely not overreaching. Lasting solution in SL will happen by influencing SL government to honor the commitment they gave to Rajiv Gandhi. It is also the right thing to do. I do believe that India should promote Dharma in its area of influence without over-reaching itself. SL is in India's area of influence.

Right now, India is losing the game in TN and SL as-well which is giving room for lot of unwanted elements to play.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

We still have access to Katchathivu I think, but only to dry the fishing nets and not to fish.

What the TN fishermen, (Boats, mostly owned by heavy weight TN politicos) who are mostly daily wage workers, are demanding, is to be allowed to fish unhindered in Lankan territorial waters and catch lankan fish.

The fishermen get paid a pittance, while major profits are taken by the politicos.

The fishermen are a vast majority of Xtians, funded and orgainsed by the EJs who are formulating the trouble.

The IN and the ICG will confirm this because this is exactly what they have always reported to the GOI that the TN Fishing boats are regularly transgressing into lankan waters and violating their territorial integrity and national sovereignty and stealing their fish.

Don't the lankan fishermen have to make a living?? The TN fishermen wantonly use illegal nets to bottom trawl and catch everything without any thought to conservation and sustainable fishing practices.

These very nets have caused untold devastation on the Indian side of the international line and because of this no fish is available on the Indian side.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Yagnasri wrote:I wish to make certain points here:

1. As a principle we are against external interference in any nation. This idea is developed from the colonial period and served us well. SL is a separate nation and it and its people have a right to chart out their own course. We should not interfere in that.
I beg do differ. This is a old-school, myopic and reactionary (to colonialism and cold war) concept on several levels and has not done India good. This policy restricted our vision of what we can do and we are looking at the stark reality of nations in Greater India - slipping out of our orbit.

India's philosophy should be both inward and outward looking and be pro-active and not reactionary. By inward looking, we should have an aim to strengthen Dharma in our land and externally promote Dharma and our civilizational values around the world. Just as US tries to ensure that western style capitalism is spread around the world, India should ensure that our civilizational ideals of living in harmony with nature, seeking of God as experiential Truth and not in terms of dogmatic religions, unity in diversity, territorial integrity and peaceful co-existence based on equal rights to everyone are spread in its immediate neighborhood. Even if one does not take an idealistic stand towards it, it is quite obvious that in real politics too it is in India's best interests to spread these values in our neighborhood.

In terms of how we spread our interests there should not be a single rule. Each situation is different and we should have all options on the table. For SL at this time, I do not suggest heavy handed approach, but I might suggest India do it for Balochistan.

With such a vision, if you look at SL, it would be very obvious what we need to do. Influence SL government (use all means of Sam, Dhan, Beda, Danda if needed) to grant equal rights to SL Tamils. We desire peace with SL but SL should first need to be at peace with itself before it can be peaceful with SL. Develop road and rail links with all of India's neighbors including SriLanka. Bring them up economically and we will also grow economically in the process. It is a great win-win.

The current timid old-school only inward looking vision has not gotten us anywhere material. Building few hospitals and gifting boats is not going to solve SL issue or stop SL from going into China's orbit. We cannot become a responsible world power with a timid inward only world view. Time to disabuse ourselves of this notion.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

schinnas wrote:Chetak, Yagnasri-
No need to answer to Vaiko's demands in your response to my post :) Noone in BRF (least of all myself) are rooting for LTTE elements. It appears are preaching to the choir. However, we cannot behave like an ostrich and imaging schools and hospitals will solve the root cause. The root cause is discriminatory treatment of Tamils in SL. We can promote India style federalism to SL but in a skillful manner (behind the scene with minimal PR) and definitely not overreaching. Lasting solution in SL will happen by influencing SL government to honor the commitment they gave to Rajiv Gandhi. It is also the right thing to do. I do believe that India should promote Dharma in its area of influence without over-reaching itself. SL is in India's area of influence.

Right now, India is losing the game in TN and SL as-well which is giving room for lot of unwanted elements to play.
Lankan cooperation will never be obtained by stealing their fish and violating their territorial integrity. The matter is more complicated than just some romantic ideas of lankan tamils singing Indian praises.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

schinnas wrote:
Yagnasri wrote:I wish to make certain points here:

I beg do differ. This is a old-school, myopic and reactionary (to colonialism and cold war) concept on several levels and has not done India good. This policy restricted our vision of what we can do and we are looking at the stark reality of nations in Greater India - slipping out of our orbit.

India's philosophy should be both inward and outward looking and be pro-active and not reactionary. By inward looking, we should have an aim to strengthen Dharma in our land and externally promote Dharma and our civilizational values around the world. Just as US tries to ensure that western style capitalism is spread around the world, India should ensure that our civilizational ideals of living in harmony with nature, seeking of God as experiential Truth and not in terms of dogmatic religions, unity in diversity, territorial integrity and peaceful co-existence based on equal rights to everyone are spread in its immediate neighborhood. Even if one does not take an idealistic stand towards it, it is quite obvious that in real politics too it is in India's best interests to spread these values in our neighborhood.

In terms of how we spread our interests there should not be a single rule. Each situation is different and we should have all options on the table. For SL at this time, I do not suggest heavy handed approach, but I might suggest India do it for Balochistan.

With such a vision, if you look at SL, it would be very obvious what we need to do. Influence SL government (use all means of Sam, Dhan, Beda, Danda if needed) to grant equal rights to SL Tamils. We desire peace with SL but SL should first need to be at peace with itself before it can be peaceful with SL. Develop road and rail links with all of India's neighbors including SriLanka. Bring them up economically and we will also grow economically in the process. It is a great win-win.

The current timid old-school only inward looking vision has not gotten us anywhere material. Building few hospitals and gifting boats is not going to solve SL issue or stop SL from going into China's orbit. We cannot become a responsible world power with a timid inward only world view. Time to disabuse ourselves of this notion.
Back to the same old song again.

But now you want us to tangle with the pakis for baluchistan?? Wow!!. Great going.

We are a third world country in the comity of nations with little money and even less influence.

Leave the lankans alone. They are doing what's best in their national interest.

Lets not have any delusions of grandeur that we are a world power. We want to be and we may very well get there one day. But for now, baby steps, baby steps.
Last edited by chetak on 27 Oct 2014 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

pandyan wrote:
chetak wrote:
{quote="schinnas"}Chetak, Yagnasri-

Right now, India is losing the game in TN and SL as-well which is giving room for lot of unwanted elements to play.{/quote}

Lankan cooperation will never be obtained by stealing their fish and violating their territorial integrity. The matter is more complicated than just some romantic ideas of lankan tamils singing Indian praises.
are you saying indian fishermen are causing lankans to sleep with chinese?

No, but certainly, they are not helping in any way.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

chetak wrote:We still have access to Katchathivu I think, but only to dry the fishing nets and not to fish.

What the TN fishermen, (Boats, mostly owned by heavy weight TN politicos) who are mostly daily wage workers, are demanding, is to be allowed to fish unhindered in Lankan territorial waters and catch lankan fish.

The fishermen get paid a pittance, while major profits are taken by the politicos.

The fishermen are a vast majority of Xtians, funded and orgainsed by the EJs who are formulating the trouble.

The IN and the ICG will confirm this because this is exactly what they have always reported to the GOI that the TN Fishing boats are regularly transgressing into lankan waters and violating their territorial integrity and national sovereignty and stealing their fish.

Don't the lankan fishermen have to make a living?? The TN fishermen wantonly use illegal nets to bottom trawl and catch everything without any thought to conservation and sustainable fishing practices.

These very nets have caused untold devastation on the Indian side of the international line and because of this no fish is available on the Indian side.
It is a mix of fact and misinformation due to media manipulation. I will respond to this in detail at a later time as it can derail the meta discussion of what India's SL policy should be. TN fishermen issue is but a small part there. I will just say that some demands of TN fighermen are unjust and some are just. Traditionally (meaning for centuries) TN fishermen used to fish near Katchathivu and giving that right back to them will address their concerns. They are also bargaining and dont really expect all of their asks to be met.

That said, the situaion among Xtians in South India is very nuanced. Catholics who got converted several decades ago (or even centuries ago) have retained several traditions such as folk dance, certain rituals and even wearing bindi. CSI christians are in the middle and EJ Christians (Benthecostal church, 7 the day adventists(?)) are recent converts and highly fanatical. There is also so many caste equations in the mix. In South TN, caste is a bigger factor than religion. So a Christian Nadar will support a hindu Nadar (Even inter-marry in some instances) but may not support a dalit Christian say in an election or even in marriage relationship.

Most of the fishermen retain traditional way of fishing by not fishing small fish to ensure sustainability. This is generally done by having the size of the net holes relatively bigger so smaller fish can escape and by not fishing during breeding season. These sustainability practices are part of our tradition and they know it better than any scientists that doing otherwise will be suicidal. However, there are some greedy elements who might be jeopardizing it but it is the problem with all Indian fishermen and not just those in TN. Similar to how some idiots let untreated chemicals into rivers and pollute it for everyone. It is a pan India phenomenon that needs to be tackled differently. Discussing it in already complicated SL issue will cloud our focus on key problems to solve.

Also what Udayakumar & co are doing is create fear mongering of nuclear power generation in all neighboring villages. It absolutely has no direct relevance to SL issue and should be handled in NGO thread.

If we want to solve the SL problem, we need to focus focus focus. Local politicians in TN will create lot of noise to get votes of fishermen, etc., but they shouldn't be allowed to derail the discussions. Other minor issues can be resolved appropriately as they are part of large pan-India problems (ex: foreign supported NGO manipulation, EJ, etc).

No need to make big deal of fishermen crossing boundaries. It happens equally in terms of Gujarati fishermen crossing into Paki waters and Bengali fishermen crossing into Bangladesh waters. It is highly overblown and is NOT a core issue as far as SL problem is concerned. The only reason SL fishermen dont cross into Indian waters is because they lack these bigger boats. Otherwise, it would be mutual.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

chetak wrote: We are a third world country in the comity of nations with little money and even less influence.

Lets not have any delusions of grandeur that we are a world power. We want to be and we may very well get there one day. But for now, baby steps, baby steps.
Luckily for India, Modi Sarkar is thinking big and does not seem to subscribe to this defeatist, old-school inward looking notion. It is not a question of resources. It is a question of vision and will and ability to execute. Money is important but that is not the primary factor here.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

" But now you want us to tangle with the pakis for baluchistan?? Wow!!. Great going."

It is OT and I have written on it in the STFUP thread. Briefly - It is in India's interests to see to it that Pakistan is split into 4 countries. What Pakistan represents is a notion that people of two religions cannot live peacefully with each other. India represents the opposite. Being an ideological nation, it is imperative for Pakistan to be broken up and for the broken fragments to be on their own join a federation with India. Sri Aurobindo has written on it and even predicted in late 40s that Pakistan will split into 4 or 5 countries. If what India stands for is true, it becomes India's Dharma to see to it that this process is expedited. If we shirk from our dharma, we as a nation will get weakened as we weaken what we stand for ideologically. All great countries that survive for millenniums stand up for something whether they realize it or not. The force behind that ideal keeps them alive despite the many follies of the people and their leaders. Woe to those that move away from it. Thrice woe to the nations that move away from it even after knowing it.

The same logic applies to Sri Lanka as well. If we go to the root and ask ourselves how can we strengthen the principles of co-existence based on equality in our neighborhood, the answer becomes obvious. Sri Krishna has given clear guidance on following dharma for dharma's sake. What applies to individuals applies to nations as well. Microcosm reflects macrocosm. I am unable to understand how not following our dharma is in our interests. The day India collectively becomes a merely utilitarian, administrative entity without any notion of dharma is the day India will begin to wither away. The force behind her will be withdrawn.

At the same time Sri Krishna taught us that dharma should be followed with skill and pragmatism. Nehru neither understood what was India's dharma nor he had the skill or pragmatism to execute it. He was guided by megalomaniacal ideas. If you even remotely equate what I am saying with what Nehru did, it indicates you did not get what I am saying or I didnt do a good job of explaining it.
Last edited by schinnas on 27 Oct 2014 11:19, edited 2 times in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

schinnas wrote:
chetak wrote:We still have access to Katchathivu I think, but only to dry the fishing nets and not to fish.

It is a mix of fact and misinformation due to media manipulation. I will respond to this in detail at a later time as it can derail the meta discussion of what India's SL policy should be. TN fishermen issue is but a small part there. I will just say that some demands of TN fighermen are unjust and some are just. Traditionally (meaning for centuries) TN fishermen used to fish near Katchathivu and giving that right back to them will address their concerns. They are also bargaining and dont really expect all of their asks to be met.

That said, the situaion among Xtians in South India is very nuanced. Catholics who got converted several decades ago (or even centuries ago) have retained several traditions such as folk dance, certain rituals and even wearing bindi. CSI christians are in the middle and EJ Christians (Benthecostal church, 7 the day adventists(?)) are recent converts and highly fanatical. There is also so many caste equations in the mix. In South TN, caste is a bigger factor than religion. So a Christian Nadar will support a hindu Nadar (Even inter-marry in some instances) but may not support a dalit Christian say in an election or even in marriage relationship.

Most of the fishermen retain traditional way of fishing by not fishing small fish to ensure sustainability. This is generally done by having the size of the net holes relatively bigger so smaller fish can escape and by not fishing during breeding season. These sustainability practices are part of our tradition and they know it better than any scientists that doing otherwise will be suicidal. However, there are some greedy elements who might be jeopardizing it but it is the problem with all Indian fishermen and not just those in TN. Similar to how some idiots let untreated chemicals into rivers and pollute it for everyone. It is a pan India phenomenon that needs to be tackled differently. Discussing it in already complicated SL issue will cloud our focus on key problems to solve.

Also what Udayakumar & co are doing is create fear mongering of nuclear power generation in all neighboring villages. It absolutely has no direct relevance to SL issue and should be handled in NGO thread.

If we want to solve the SL problem, we need to focus focus focus. Local politicians in TN will create lot of noise to get votes of fishermen, etc., but they shouldn't be allowed to derail the discussions. Other minor issues can be resolved appropriately as they are part of large pan-India problems (ex: foreign supported NGO manipulation, EJ, etc).

No need to make big deal of fishermen crossing boundaries. It happens equally in terms of Gujarati fishermen crossing into Paki waters and Bengali fishermen crossing into Bangladesh waters. It is highly overblown and is NOT a core issue as far as SL problem is concerned. The only reason SL fishermen dont cross into Indian waters is because they lack these bigger boats. Otherwise, it would be mutual.
Most TN fishing boats have GPS, handheld ones are cheap. They use purse seine nets which the lankans do not use. They use very sophisticated methods of communication to warn other boats of the presence of lankan navy boats and thus alternate routes can quickly be plotted to avoid contact.

uadyakumar is a church supported EJ pawn, the demonstrations are orchestrated by some countries which wanted to prevent the russians from getting the contract for the remaining reactors in KKNP, because they wanted it for themselves. The church was the chosen route of these countries because of it's reach and presence and capacity to organise opposition and because of a well entrenched communication system. The very same network also handles the fishermen troubling the lankans. Is this not clear to you?? A common thread ties the entire lot together.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

schinnas wrote:" But now you want us to tangle with the pakis for baluchistan?? Wow!!. Great going."

It is OT and I have written on it in the STFUP thread. Briefly - It is in India's interests to see to it that Pakistan is split into 4 countries. What Pakistan represents is a notion that people of two religions cannot live peacefully with each other. India represents the opposite. Being an ideological nation, it is imperative for Pakistan to be broken up and for the broken fragments to be on their own join a federation with India. Sri Aurobindo has written on it and even predicted in late 40s that Pakistan will split into 4 or 5 countries. If what India stands for is true, it becomes India's Dharma to see to it that this process is expedited. If we shirk from our dharma, we as a nation will get weakened as we weaken what we stand for ideologically. All great countries that survive for millenniums stand up for something whether they realize it or not. The force behind that ideal keeps them alive despite the many follies of the people and their leaders. Woe to those that move away from it. Thrice woe to the nations that move away from it even after knowing it.

The same logic applies to Sri Lanka as well. If we go to the root and ask ourselves how can we strengthen the principles of co-existence based on equality in our neighborhood, the answer becomes obvious. Sri Krishna has given clear guidance on following dharma for dharma's sake. What applies to individuals applies to nations as well. Microcosm reflects macrocosm. I am unable to understand how not following our dharma is in our interests. The day India collectively becomes a merely utilitarian, administrative entity without any notion of dharma is the day India will begin to wither away. The force behind her will be withdrawn.

At the same time Sri Krishna taught us that dharma should be followed with skill and pragmatism. Nehru neither understood what was India's dharma and neither had the skill or pragmatism to execute it. He was guided by megalomaniacal ideas. If you even remotely equate what I am saying with what Nehru did, it indicates you did not get what I am saying.
Akhand Bharat now and world domination next. Great going!!.

Sirjee, You must excuse me now. Duty calls, I have a living to make. Have a great day. BTW, don't forget to eat a big lunch with lots of fish. Sustenance is the key.

I shall humbly watch your assured progress with great interest, onlee.

Pranam.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

In discussing what principles should guide India in its foreign policy and domestic policy, the prophetic words of one of the founding fathers of our Nation, Sri Aurobindo is pertinent: Sri Aurobindo is not only a Mahayogi and Sage, he was also the founding father of India's freedom movement. He along with Tilak were the first people to say full swarajya is the goal of congress and Sri Aurobindo presided over the 1927 congress where he and Tilak split from moderates. Several of India's founding fathers from Gandhiji to Bose were heavily influenced by him.

The below excerpt is from his famous uttarpara speech which he delivered in a state of trance some days after being released from prison by British.

http://cw.routledge.com/textbooks/9780415485432/24.asp

"...This is the Dharma that for the salvation of humanity was cherished in the seclusion of this peninsula from of old. It is to give this religion that India is rising. She does not rise as other countries do, for self or when she is strong, to trample on the weak. She is rising to shed the eternal light entrusted to her over the world. India has always existed for humanity and not for herself and it is for humanity and not for herself that she must be great."
I say no longer that nationalism is a creed, a religion, a faith; I say that it is the Sanatan Dharma which for us is nationalism. This Hindu nation was born with the Sanatan Dharma, with it it moves and with it it grows. When the Sanatan Dharma declines, then the nation declines, and if the Sanatan Dharma were capable of perishing, with the Sanatan Dharma it would perish. The Sanatan Dharma, that is nationalism.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Dharma can be done only if you are powerful and not otherwise. The Dharma without any power is the reason for our present fate. First concentrate on acquiring power sir and then there is will be no need for us to ask for anything. Other nations will jump to our tune. As long as we are weak we will get no positive response from anyone.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Yagnasri wrote:Dharma can be done only if you are powerful and not otherwise. The Dharma without any power is the reason for our present fate. First concentrate on acquiring power sir and then there is will be no need for us to ask for anything. Other nations will jump to our tune. As long as we are weak we will get no positive response from anyone.
JLN was the one who mastered the offensive art of looking down snootily upon every other country from on high moral ground, all the while rogering mountbatten's dharm patni.

and because he thought with his gonads, he messed up every important thing that he ever touched, a la cashmere et al and the offered on a plate security council seat.

how can adultery be the basis and foundation of foreign policy??

He wanted no army and wanted to manage with the police force onlee. Perhaps, lathi charging the chinese would have averted defeat, or maybe filing some FIRs against chou en lai may have scared them off, after all who wants to engage the Indian legal system for sixty odd years and still get no result at the end of it .

Right you are sirjee. First acquire power and clout with the proven means to back it up before we start to teach little countries as to how to treat their populace.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Yagnasri wrote:Dharma can be done only if you are powerful and not otherwise. The Dharma without any power is the reason for our present fate. First concentrate on acquiring power sir and then there is will be no need for us to ask for anything. Other nations will jump to our tune. As long as we are weak we will get no positive response from anyone.
Sounds good to hear but is a hollow argument. In other words what you are saying is akin to a person saying I will donate to charity when I become a millionaire (which would later get postponed to multi-millionaire or billionaire). A perinnial x+1 syndrome. On the other hands, dharmic tradition is to do what one can at any moment. So in Indian dhan is not meant only for the rich. Everyone does what they can.

The fundamental truth is power and responsibility go together always. One of it cannot be held in abeyance. If India does not pick up responsibility in its own neighborhood given its current status as regional power, it cannot aspire to become a world player.

There is literally no excuse for India to not solve a problem in its own backyard and still claim that it has mandate to be a Jagatguru or go seeking after power. That would be extremely hypocritical on our part.
Shanmukh
BRF Oldie

Post by Shanmukh »

schinnas wrote: There is literally no excuse for India to not solve a problem in its own backyard and still claim that it has mandate to be a Jagatguru or go seeking after power. That would be extremely hypocritical on our part.
Saar,
Please to go a bit light on this जगद्गुरु stuff. Let me give you a bit of cynical explanation for your जगद्गुरु word. जगत्=world, गुरु=heavy/burden. So your जगद्गुरु basically means `burden on earth'. That is what we will be with all this moral pontification without commensurate material capabilities.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The SLN chief has said that the island will never allow it to become an anti-Indian mil. base for anyone.The Chinese presence is only "economic" he said. However,everyone knows that one day a price has to be paid for "economic" aid. What is the disturbing aspect is that whatever infrastructure facilities have been developed by the Chinese in the IOR region and beyond,primarily have a military capability.The GOSL of today may have similar sentiments to the SLN chief,but what of tomorrow's Lankan leaders?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

X posted from nukkad

schinnas, ji. Take a look and tell me again that EJ "gentlemen" are benign folks

Jesus on the Cross Spoke Tamil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaIm0Kq213E
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

chetak wrote:X posted from nukkad
schinnas, ji. Take a look and tell me again that EJ "gentlemen" are benign folks
Not Only this, as seen on many idols,he also wore Lungi, Mundu or Dhoti. No Info yet on his fondness for Chettinad food dishes.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Jhujar wrote:
Not Only this, as seen on many idols,he also wore Lungi, Mundu or Dhoti. No Info yet on his fondness for Chettinad food dishes.
Please have faith, sir. Don't despair.

It was the chettinad water that he turned into wine. Can't have wine without food.

frantic research is going on and it will be announced soon with written proof.

After all, Sanskrit was derived from ancient dravidian Tamil. That's why the commonality of many words are there. One wonders what wondrous changes this new information and discovery will bring to the AIT.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

chetak wrote:[Please have faith, sir. Don't despair.
It was the chettinad water that he turned into wine. Can't have wine without food.
frantic research is going on and it will be announced soon with written proof. After all, Sanskrit was derived from ancient dravidian Tamil. That's why the commonality of many words are there. One wonders what wondrous changes this new information and discovery will bring to the AIT.
AIT is correct. AIT= All Is Tamil.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/death-penalty-to-tn-fishermen-rail-link-to-rameswaram-cutoff/article6549007.ece
Rail link to Rameswaram Island has been cut off after angry mob pulled off railway tracks for nearly 900 metres between Rameswaram and Pamban following a court in Sri Lanka awarding death sentence to five fishermen from Ramanathapuram on charge of smuggling narcotics.

Three express trains that were scheduled to leave Rameswaram after 5 p.m. on Thursday have been rescheduled for Friday, the Railway Divisional Manager, A.K. Rastogi, said.

Mr. Rastogi said that the elastic rail clips fastening the rails with sleepers have been removed and the rails thrown away at Thangachimadam. “It will take at least four hours for us to restore the tracks. However, the work could be started only after the police give us clearance (on law and order front),” he added.

Railway Protection Force personnel, who were on special duty at the local railway stations, in view of Muthuramalinga Thevar jayanthi, have been rushed to Rameswaram to provide additional security to the stations, the RPF Divisional Security Commissioner, P. Sankar Kutty, said.

As a result of damage to the tracks, all the three express trains stranded at Rameswaram have been rescheduled to leave on Friday, provided the restoration works are over.

Rameswaram-Chennai Express scheduled to leave at 5 p.m. on Thursday has been rescheduled to leave at 10 a.m. on Friday, the Sethu Express has been scheduled to leave at 8 p.m. has been rescheduled to leave at 11 a.m. and the Rameswaram-Kanyakumari Express scheduled to leave at 8.45 p.m. at 12 noon on Friday.

The Madurai-Rameswaram passenger train scheduled to leave at 8 p.m. has been cancelled.

With no bus services, the rail passengers have to wait at the station till the rail services are restored. “We have made arrangement for food and water at the station,” the DRM said.

The last train to leave Rameswaram was the passenger train to Madurai that left at 4. p.m. railway sources said.

Meanwhile, the passenger services between Madurai and Rameswaram have been partially cancelled between Manamadurai and Rameswaram, he added.

Meanwhile, a mob set on fire a bus. Reports reaching here indicated that the situation is tense.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/5-indian-fishermen-sentenced-to-death-by-sri-lankan-court/article6548538.ece?ref=relatedNews
The Colombo High Court on Thursday awarded the death sentence to five Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy in November 2011 on drug trafficking charges.

P. Emerson, P. Augustus, R. Wilson, K. Prasath, and J. Lanklet from Rameswaram spent nearly a year in prison in Jaffna and were later taken to the Welikada prison in Colombo, said sources in the Indian consulate in Jaffna.

The fishermen were charged with smuggling heroin into northern Sri Lanka, an allegation they have strongly denied.

Three Sri Lankan fishermen were also sentenced to death on the same charges.

Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s announcement ahead of his visit to India in May 2014 on the release of “all Indian fishermen” in Sri Lankan custody as a “goodwill gesture” had brought hope to those arrested.

The only Indian fishermen detained then were those arrested on charges of drug trafficking. However, they were not released and Sri Lankan government sources later said the President’s announcement did not pertain to them.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/death-for-indian-fishermen-delhi-says-they-are-innocent-we-will-appeal/article6549372.ece?ref=relatedNews
India on Thursday said the government’s assessment on the basis of “due diligence” had shown that the five Indian fishermen are innocent of drug smuggling charges.

MEA spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said the government would arrange for an appeal against the verdict through a lawyer in Sri Lanka.

The spokesperson said India is in “touch with Sri Lankan authorities,” as Indian High Commissioner Yash Sinha spoke to Foreign Minister G. L. Peiris and took up the “matter of their innocence diplomatically with Sri Lanka.”
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/life-turns-nightmare-for-family-members/article6549380.ece?ref=relatedNews
My four-year-old son was saying that his father will return home tomorrow and get him an ice cream, but his hopes have been shattered,” said Jansi Rani, 32, wife of R. Wilson, one of the five fishermen awarded death sentence by the Colombo High Court on charges of drug trafficking.

Staging a road blockade at Thangachimadam along with scores of men and women protesting against the verdict, Jansi Raniwept uncontrollably as she recalled her son Jogans’s anxiety on Wednesday after they were told the Colombo High Court would deliver the verdict on Thursday.

For a middle-aged mother and four young women in Thangachimadam, the verdict was a rude shock as they came to the road along with other women to fight for justice and the safe return of their breadwinners.

Life turned a nightmare to them ever since their breadwinners were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy on November 29, 2011. The five fishermen - P. Emerson ,39; P. Augustin, 32; R. Wilson, 42; K. Prasad, 32; and J. Langlet, 22, had set out for fishing on November 28, 2011, with fishing permits. But, the trip landed them in trouble.

The Lankan Navy arrested them under Sections 54A and B of the Opium and Dangerous Drugs Ordinance Act, 1984 read with Section 218 of the Code of Procedure and the case was being fought before the Colombo High Court.

“My husband spoke to me yesterday [Wednesday], but was scared of the verdict,” said Skenitta, 26, the youngest of the five women. Her husband Prasath spoke to her on Wednesday and feared as how the verdict would be. She had asked him not to worry, saying he is innocent and would be released.

It was hardly two months since she conceived her second child, when her husband was arrested, she said. Jayesh is now two-and-a-half years old and he is yet to see his father

“My husband became mentally ill in the prison and he has not spoken to me for more than a year now,” cried Emerson’s wife Lavanya. She manages the family with a monthly assistance given by the government but could not answer when the children — seven-year-old daughter and two-year-old son — ask about their father, she said. She too was four months pregnant when her husband was arrested and the boy is yet to see his father, she rued.

J. Infanta, mother of Langlet, cried uncontrollably as her only son is in prison for more than two years.

U. Arulanandham, president of the Alliance for the Release of Innocent Fishermen, said steps were taken to appeal against the High Court order in the Supreme Court of Sri Lanka.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/they-are-innocent-tamil-nadu-chief-minister-o-panneerselvam/article6549376.ece?ref=relatedNews
Expressing shock at the sentence, Mr. Panneerselvam said the State had consistently maintained that these fishermen were innocent and the narcotics case was foisted on them

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O. Panneerselvam has asked Prime Minister Narendra Modi to direct the Indian High Commission in Sri Lanka to initiate an appeal against the death sentence awarded to the five Indian fishermen by the Colombo High Court.

Expressing shock at the sentence, Mr. Panneerselvam said the State had consistently maintained that these fishermen were innocent and the narcotics case was foisted on them. They had no record of involvement in drug-related activities. The manner in which the trial was conducted and the orders were delayed gave rise to doubts whether the fishermen got a fair trial.

The case was heard in Jaffna when the Sri Lankan police filed the charge sheet in the Colombo court and transferred the case there abruptly. Thereafter, the trial was held before the Fourth Bench of the High Court. In the earlier cases of alleged drug trafficking, the only penalty awarded to the guilty was a fine, he said in a letter to Mr. Modi.

It was the paramount duty of the Indian government to protect the life of five of its innocent citizens who were deprived of their rights in an unfair manner, he said.

Special assistance

The State government sanctioned special assistance to pay for the legal fees of the fishermen. It would continue to meet the legal cost of the case, he said, requesting the Prime Minister to instruct the Indian High Commission to hire the best lawyers for their defence. Any failure to take immediate action would inflame the already bruised emotions of the people of the State, he said.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

del
Last edited by svenkat on 31 Oct 2014 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/political-parties-seek-indias-intervention/article6549379.ece?ref=relatedNews
MDMK general secretary Vaiko said the fishermen were first arrested on the charge of crossing the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL), but were later charged with narcotics smuggling.

Ironically, this is the first time since 1934 a Sri Lankan court had awarded the death sentence, he said. Mr. Vaiko, whose party is an ally of the ruling NDA at the Centre, said the Narendra Modi government surpassed the previous Congress-led UPA in its hatred for Sri Lankan Tamils.
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

^^ Politicians like Vaiko should not do grandstanding on such sensitive issues. His Modus Operandi seems to be: increase a situation to fever pitch, make the whole thing an emotionally charged affair, denying everyone wiggle room to negotiate. His brand of politics isn't helping him or others.
Hope GoI supports them on their legal recourse and bring them back home.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Chetak,ji. Why put words into my mouth. Where do I say EJ are benign? The callous attitude to SL Tamils that you are espousing is giving an unnecessary room for EJs to fish in troubled waters. What I propose is to take the wind out of their sails and use the other measures that are planned against EJ NGOs (I hope something is in the works) all over India. EJ work in TN is not in any way lower in comparison to that in AP regions or what happened in KL earlier where EJ plantation owners forced mass conversions of plantation workers by coersion and incentives.

By trying to equate SL Tamil issue as supporting EJ, you are doing a HUGE favor to EJ. Surprised that you dont seem to realize it yet.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

saravana wrote:^^ Politicians like Vaiko should not do grandstanding on such sensitive issues. His Modus Operandi seems to be: increase a situation to fever pitch, make the whole thing an emotionally charged affair, denying everyone wiggle room to negotiate. His brand of politics isn't helping him or others.
Hope GoI supports them on their legal recourse and bring them back home.
Vaiko is doing what any politician would do in this case. What if Gujarati fishermen were awarded death sentence by Pakis or Orissa fishermen awarded death sentence by Bangladesh? Wouldn't Anandiben Patil (if BJP is not in power at center) and Patnaik shout from top of their lungs? All politicians all over the world would do the same. Look at how Italy politicians are doing when two of their folks are facing court.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

The callous attitude and ignorance of GoI towards Sri Lankan Tamil issue continues unabated. A recent example is GoI issuing stamps for Anagarika Dharmapala (AD) - the fascist Buddhist nationalist of SriLanka, who is a highly controversial figure. He was a fiery asetic but unlike Swami Vivekananda who was a Gnani with love for everyone, AD was a Singhala chauvinist and racist. While he did commendable work against British and EJ, he also sowed the seeds of separation between Buddhists and Hindus in Sri Lanka and in India as well. The court cases by Buddists in Budh Gaya against Saivaite ashrams there were his handywork and that tension continues till this day.

AD also a big proponent of Aryan Dravidian theory whereby he imagined Singhalese (despite the fact that most of them are as dark or darker than Tamils) to be racially distinct Aryans. The current Tamil - Singhalese and Hindu - Buddhist division is due to Singhalese chauvinism espoused by AD. Why would GoI honor him with a stamp? What is the message it is sending to Tamils of India or SL? Such ignorant and insensitive acts add fuel to the fire and give room for EJs to muddle the waters further.

The more such stupidity lasts, the more TN population will feel alienated. One has to just read the comments in Tamil news sites and talk to ordinary people and students in tier II cities and villages to gauage the magnitude of it. All those that point out the dirty work of EJs miss the point that it is GoI and larger insensitivity and callous attitude to plight of SL Tamils that is giving room for others to intervene.