Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Re: Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

Post by harbans »

I found this post by someone Anon on TOI..lot's of names depicting the LTTE's Christian tilt/ links..
LTTE WAS NOT HINDU BUT XIAN ORGANISATION-

1--- Prabhakaran, Anton Balasingham; Bhanu; Lawrence; Pottu Amman and Soosai are Methodist CHRISTIANS.

2-- non-christian LTTE top ranking leaders were eliminated by LTTE itself (Mahendrarajah and countless others).

3--the biggest supporters of the LTTE are Tamil Christian clergy, from the Catholic, Methodist, Anglican and evangelical churches.

4-- Christian priest, Father Francis Xavier was a leading fundraiser for the LTTE in Toronto, Canada.

5. All the top people in LTTE"s charity group, "Tamil Rehabilitation Organization (TRO)", are Christians: * Mr.K.P.Regi, Executive Director of TRO, * Mr. Lawrence Thilagar, TRO Project Co-ordinator, * Mr. Lawrence Christie, Planning Director of the TRO * Mr.E.Robert, Administrative Head of the TRO Accelerated Rehabilitation Project. * Mr. Vincent, TRO"s Director of Tsunami Rehabilitation and Construction * Mr.P.Mariyanayagam Croos (Cruz), President of the Mannar TRO, * Ms. P.Mariina Croos (Cruz) of the Mannar TRO * Yude Genoba of the Mannar TRO

6. The 4 Reverend Fathers A.Jeyakumar, S.E. Arnold, P. Anukular and J. Thevarudchelvam from Mullaitivu Diocese and Mr J Rajanayagam from Jaffna Diocese(all from Church of South India) were the chief guests at TRO functions held to distribute fishing nets, boats and houses to the Tsunami victims.

7--- The 3 Catholic Bishops of Jaffna, Mannar and Trincomalee-Batticaloa (Revs. Thomas Soundaranayagam, Joseph Rayappu and Kingsley Swamipillai) regularly meet the LTTE leadership and grace LTTE events."

8-- Christians offering the LTTE protection and services: Rev. Sam T. Jayathilakarajah of the Achchelu Methodist Church and his brother, Dr. Jayakularajah. Father Aabaranam Singarayar, Father Anton Sinnarasa (now fronting LTTE in Canada under the alias "Anton Philip").
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Very true,why the church was also solidly behind the LTTE in Lanka and the support in the US/west.I once met the son of a bishop from the north,whose attitude/supposedly father too, was very anti-establishment,understandable given the ethnic differences,but suprisingly political and inflexible,toeing the LTTE line.

Echoes of the very same in the Koodamkulm agitations.The snme outside forces are at work and the same "Church" is spearheading/supporting the protests! The similarities are astonishing...and understandable as the distance to Lanka is that close.
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

“Rethink policy to empower Sri Lankan Tamils economically”
http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/tam ... 787284.ece

Disappearances in Sri Lanka
Murky business
are disappearing—and the government has been accused
http://www.economist.com/node/21542827

Lanka denies war crimes charges by former Major General
http://www.sundaytimes.lk/111225/Columns/cafe.html

Canada pans Sri Lankan war crimes report, renews Commonwealth summit boycott
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada ... 04798.html

Sri Lanka: new test of India's global influence
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... estigation

Indian foreign policy has totally failed because our foreign officials play with money (whoever gives including money from Lankan govt to their swiss accounts), politicians miserably failed to keep the values and ethos of India and her democratic nature which at least Nehru and Indira tried a bit and also others in other political parties. Nowadays our folks are ready to sacrifice anything and they are without any ideas and simply promote hatred of our own people overseas. The values of protecting human rights and raising voices for people who are at receiving ends and also critical of those regimes which are brutal against their own people are all gone into forgotten values of Indian democracy. These fellows by taking money and selling everything they have and also betraying our country to anybody have become a daily activities. We cannot blame only the politicians for this but also officials who enjoy all their redcarpet welcome wit hpackages home also should be counted alog with their shares in the investments in big companies!.When the next govt comes I want to all these officals and policians blood money accounts should exposed and the law of the land should be strictly applied on them and never allow them out of prison.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Krishna concludes "successful" Sri Lanka visit
External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna concluded his “successful” visit to Sri Lanka on Thursday by handing over the completed section of the Galle-Hikkaduwa railway link to Southern Railway project authorities.
One of Mr. Krishna's achievements was to get Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa reiterate that he would take the “13 Amendment plus approach” to solving the ethnic problem in the country.

With the Tamil National Alliance, an umbrella organisation of Tamil political parties, saying that they would approach the talks with Mr. Rajapaksa's assurance in mind, the stage is set for a fresh approach to the Tamil quest for a political say in the Northern Province.
Phase I of the Southern Railway project, comprising the 42-km Galle-Matara Section, was completed in February 2011. Phase II of the project, which involves the section from Galle to Kaluthara, will be completed by April this year.

IRCON International Ltd, a public sector Indian company involved in railway infrastructure, had completed the 19-km Galle-Hikkaduwa section of the project on schedule.

Tracks have been laid to a stretch of about 45 km on the Galle-Kaluthara section. It will be completed in all aspects once the signalling equipment is in place. The total cost for revamping the Southern Railway line is $167.4 million. India has also extended a line of credit for the project.
Mr. Krishna had, during his visit to the country in November 2010, launched the construction work for the Northern Railway project. “We expect all the projects relating to rehabilitation of the Northern Railway line by IRCON, being funded under an Indian credit line of $800 million, to be completed by the end of 2013,” he said.

He announced a substantial increase in India's assistance in the education sector, amounting to a grant of Sri Lankan Rs.2.5 billion, to aid meritorious students.

Under this programme, scholarships and self-financing slots for undergraduate, masters and doctorate-level courses will be increased to nearly 270 per year. This marks a three-fold increase, and includes 120 slots for undergraduate courses, 25 seats for IT engineering, 50 slots for Masters-level courses, and 40 slots for a highly-subsidised self-financing scheme.

In addition, support for deserving students pursuing their GCE ‘A' level and University degrees in Sri Lankan institutions has been expanded to cover about 500 students every year.
India should keep the Indic countries in its fold and help them in all ways.
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

Another attack on Tamil Nadu fishermen by Lankan navy; 9 missing
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 589691.cms

Indian navy may be ordered by Congress Govt not to protect Indian Fishermen across Tamil Nadu Coast because Congress Govt thinks that they are not Indians or these fishermen are anti Indians or these fishermen are LTTE supporters.

Or Indian Navy thinks that these fishermen are not worth protecting.

Somehow Srilankan games continue in declaring the war on India and her fishermen!
member_19686
BRFite

Post by member_19686 »

Sri Lanka 'expels 161 foreign Muslim clerics'

Sri Lanka has reportedly ordered 161 foreign Muslim preachers to leave the country for flouting visa regulations.

A senior immigration official was quoted as saying that the clerics had no right to preach in mosques because they had arrived on tourist visas.

He also said that some local Muslims had complained that the visitors were not teaching a moderate form of Islam.

The preachers - from Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, the Maldives and Arab nations - must now leave by 31 January.

'Laughable idea'
"They have violated immigration laws. A tourist visa is to have a holiday or visit friends and family, and not to preach Islam," Sri Lanka's immigration head Chulananda Perera told the AFP news agency.

Mr Perera said the group belonged to Tablighi Jamaat - an international Islamic movement popular in Sri Lanka and the region.

A Muslim source told the BBC that the movement sends groups of preachers to places of worship, urging Muslims to devote more time to their faith and act more devoutly.

Any idea that they were militant was laughable, the source added.

Muslim members of Sri Lanka's government have expressed concern at the mass expulsion, and are expected to meet other officials later on Monday to try to delay the move.

The news has also created consternation in the Muslim community in Sri Lanka, the third largest ethnic group in the country after Sinhalese and Tamils, the BBC's Charles Haviland in Colombo reports.

During the long civil war the community was often caught between the two warring parties and it has a reputation for moderation, our correspondent adds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16675086
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

Congratulations to lankans on a good job.If briturdstaan loves them so much,let them invite these 'preachers'.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

The news has also created consternation in the Muslim community in Sri Lanka, the third largest ethnic group in the country after Sinhalese and Tamils, the BBC's Charles Haviland in Colombo reports.
What is this 3rd community BS? Dont muslims there speak Sinhalese or Tamil?
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

X-post:
sum wrote:Kalam pays tributes at IPKF memorial
For the first time since a memorial for the Indian Peace Keeping Force was established on the outskirts of Colombo, a former Commander-in-Chief of the Indian armed forces visited it on Sunday.

“Oh defenders of my nation, you cross seas to defend nations. You are great sons of my land. We pray for you, brave hearts,” the former President, A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, wrote in the visitors' book at the memorial.

Mr. Kalam arrived at the memorial at 9.20 a.m. with Indian High Commissioner Ashok K. Kantha. He paid floral tributes and spent some time going around the memorial, reading the names of the 1,200 soldiers who laid down their lives fighting a war to enforce the India-Sri Lanka accord of 1987. The forces were inducted in July 1987 and the last troops left Sri Lanka in March 1990.
This man's stature keeps growing in my eyes as each day passes!!
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

sum wrote:
What is this 3rd community BS? Dont muslims there speak Sinhalese or Tamil?
OT but in the context of your point. I have a friend who was born and brought up in Vellore, Tamil Nadu. He doesnt consider himself a Tamilian. He once told me --> "In our neighbourhood the Tamilians, Telugu people, North Indians" do not mix with each other and only keep to themselves, it is only us Muslims who talk to everyone". I asked him if he wasn't Tamilian and he said he only wanted to be identified as Muslim and he talks Urdu at home. And to think, the Dravidian chaps wanted to ally themselves with these people and branded the Tamil Brahmins as "outsiders" even though the latter only speaks Tamil at home and is very proud of Tamil language. Strange world we live in eh comrades?

Even more interestingly, a Muslim friend of mine told me that in her community they only inter-marry with other "Tamil Muslims" and not to "Urdu speaking" Muslims. To them the Urdu speaking Muslims are "outsiders", people having come in from the North and settled here.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

OT but in the context of your point. I have a friend who was born and brought up in Vellore, Tamil Nadu. He doesnt consider himself a Tamilian. He once told me --> "In our neighbourhood the Tamilians, Telugu people, North Indians" do not mix with each other and only keep to themselves, it is only us Muslims who talk to everyone". I asked him if he wasn't Tamilian and he said he only wanted to be identified as Muslim and he talks Urdu at home. And to think, the Dravidian chaps wanted to ally themselves with these people and branded the Tamil Brahmins as "outsiders" even though the latter only speaks Tamil at home and is very proud of Tamil language. Strange world we live in eh comrades?
I know of the same funda among many Blore muslims but always thought that this was a IM phenomenon.

Interesting that even SL muslims are following this "I am not local but re-born urdu speaking Arab" thingie
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Surasena wrote: The preachers - from Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, the Maldives and Arab nations - must now leave by 31 January
Can I hope that the IB and state police special branch CID would like to have a word with these preachers?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Sachin wrote:
Surasena wrote: The preachers - from Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, the Maldives and Arab nations - must now leave by 31 January
Can I hope that the IB and state police special branch CID would like to have a word with these preachers?

With elections pending in many states??

Fat chance, janab.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Thew strictest vigilance must eb shown to foreign NGOs,"Preachers" and other suspected agents of foreign powers.The Lankans have done well by trufing them out,whatever their religious bent would've been. But can U see it happenign here in India,where a celebrated PIO,Salmn Rushdie was prevented from attending the Jaipur Lit.Fest. on an alleged spurious death threat as UP elections,etc.,are around the corner!

More unfortunate are the reports of renewed "stone throwing"- it must be some new advanced naval weapon system,by allegedly the Lankan naval forces/Lankan fishermen aganst Indian fishermen along the IMB .THese naval battles between the fishing fleets are our region's equiva;ent to the European "Cod Wars" between Britian and Iceland aeons ago-whih actually began in '58 (1st Cod War),when Iceland extended its fishing limit,blowng up in the early '70s-'72 and '75, (2nd and 3rd Cod Wars).

As I've said many a tiem,only joint/synchropnised patrolling of the IMB will determine who is at fault and those that od so must be sverly penlised,as this issue is causing so much friction between the two nations.Here again,I see a insidious external hand at work,urging on Indian fishermen in the main to cross over and break rules,inviting a respone from the Lankan navy and fishermen.The answer to the big Q,"who gains?" must be evident,as there is huge infows of money from external agencies into northern Lanka and southern TN being used surreptitiusly tostir up trouble (KKM ,fishing fights).The same international forces that supported the LTTE are suspected of the same tricks even here.
member_19686
BRFite

Post by member_19686 »

sum wrote: I know of the same funda among many Blore muslims but always thought that this was a IM phenomenon.

Interesting that even SL muslims are following this "I am not local but re-born urdu speaking Arab" thingie
Most Muslims in SL speak Tamil and others Sinhalese but they identify themselves by their religion not language and have done so for a while now (so this is not a recent phenomenon).

This led to tensions with the Tamils and culminated in the expulsion of Muslims from Jaffna by the LTTE.

Interestingly before independence there was a Sinhalese-Muslim riot I think in the 1920s, at that time the Tamils sided with the Sinhalese.
Matters that should be considered by the Muslim leadership
Point of View
By Niraj David

Presently, there is widespread expressions and sentiments regarding
the distressing situations of the Muslims driven out of Jaffna, and
the imperative need for their re-settlement in their traditional
habitat. Discussions have now become a matter of routine in a
political sense. The mid-nineties saw a wide cleavage in Tamil -
Muslim relationships resulting in the driving out of the Muslims from
the north; there can be no doubt about their re-settlement. But, at
the same time, during the same period, the Eastern Province too
witnessed similar events; the Tamils living in their traditional
regions too were driven out of their homes by Muslims: displacement
to other areas etc. In that context, there is the necessity to take
into consideration the plight of such displaced Tamils too to be re-
settled in their areas earlier occupied by them.

Eelam War II set in motion a calculated series of aggressive attacks
by the Sri Lankan Security Forces against the Tamils of the Eastern
province. The process of genocide of the Tamils' or the 'De-reliction
of the Tamils' by the Security forces received the active support
from both the Muslim militancy as well as the Muslim politicians. In
particular, Ampara District which had a permanent and long-standing
Tamil population of thousands of families, were subjected to all
forms of violence by both the Muslim hooligans and Muslim Home Guards.

When I refer to the word 'Muslims', it undoubtedly refers
specifically attributed to the destructive activities by Muslim Home
Guards, Muslim Hooligans and the Muslim politicians. By this process,
they ensured the compulsory displacement of the Tamils from their
traditional habitat and to strengthen their own positions with
ulterior motives. The fact that the security forces went on the
rampage in Tamil regions in the Ampara District paved the way for the
Muslim forces to plan and carry out calculated activities to achieve
their objectives.

In the process of destruction directed against the Tamils, the
community lost a number of the educated Tamil intelligentsia. Several
Hindu Temples were set on fire and destroyed. The Tamils lost all
their belongings including houses, agricultural lands, movable and
immovable properties. They were compelled to vacate their traditional
villages and move out to safer areas.

The Muslims who acquired both political as well as economic strengths
utilized the terrific war situation to establish and seize by force a
political platform to suit their needs. Result: Ampara District,
portions of which were once under Tamil regimes over a period of
traditional occupation with a proud heritage overnight became alien
property. Hindu Temples with centuries-old heritage, which
contributed to their moral and religious ways of life, were destroyed
completely leaving no traces. Tamil villages in the District such as
Palamunai, Panama, Meem Odai Kaddu, Oluvil, Nintawr, Samnlanthurai,
Karavalupattu, Deegavapi, Maanthoddam, Kondavedduva, Poorani,
Chemmanilwlam, Thangavelauthaplram, Udumpankulam, are strange lands
to the Tamil community having been converted to Muslim areas.

Moreover, other Tamil villages with a preponderant Tamil population,
namely, Addapallam, Chavalakadai, Thiraaikemi, Sorrikalmunai,
Veeracholai are nay facing eminent dangers of being engulfed by
Muslims using their political and economic machinations. All forms of
destructive activities directed by the security forces against the
Tamil community as well as their economic targets, paved the way for
the Muslims to reap the harvest and strengthen their position. Tamils
were murdered systematically on a planned basis. The remaining Tamils
were strangled economically with no prospects of carrying out farming
activities, marketing their produce or even moving freely without
fear. The sole objective was to drive out the remaining Tamils from
their villages. For that purpose, it was calculated to erase out
their heritage which came under the umbrella of 'Hindu Worship'.
Destructive activities were directed against the Hindu Temples in all
the villages.
Here are a few examples:

Sammanthurai - Kali Amman Temple destroyed by the Muslism in 1990.

Karaitivu - Kannaki Amman Temple damaged by the Muslims who
accompanied the forces.

Addaipallam - Meenachchi Amman Temple damaged by the Muslims during
the same period.

Karavalu - A village in close proximity to Kalmunai - An ancient Kali
Kovil completely destroyed by Muslims. At present, a Mosque stands at
that - place.

Meen Odai Kaddu - Pillaiyar Temple completely destroyed by Muslims.
Muslim community settled at that site.

Oddamavadi - Batticaloa District - Pillaiyar Temple taken over
forcibly by Muslim. A Beef Stall stands there now.

The Tamils of Ampara are deeply grieved over the several instances of
the destructions caused to their places of worship as well as other
horrendous acts of violence caused to their kith and kin. Here is an
unforgettable incident: In 1990, Nintavur village was rounded up by
the security forces and Muslim Home Guards; 64 youths males and
females were taken to the Nintavur Murugan Temple. They were slain
and shot. Those killed and the groaning lot were set on fire along
with the temple. The strange thing is that there is no trace of the
existence of a temple at that site which was once a recognised place
of worship. This area, is now one where no Tamils can go into it and
it is now a Muslim region.

Tiraikerui - An incident of aggression by Muslim hooligans in 1990.
Muslim Hooligans armed with swords and knives entered the village and
terrified the villagere. They sough t refuge in their village
Pillaiyar Temple. The hooligans after damaging the temple entrance
door attacked the helpless victims using their destructive weapons
and after they were killed set the temple on fire.

Veeramunai - During the same time, refugees who were accomodated in
the Pillaiyar Temple; they were rounded up by the Security forces and
the Muslim Home Guards.

They selected the educated and the well-built youths numbering 85,
took them inside the temple premises; they were slain and Shot by the
Muslim Home Guards.

This particular incident took place in the presence of the relatives
of those killed - When the security forces were simply watching While
the Muslim Home Guards performed these horrible murders. Ampara
Tamils often tell such similar stories through their experiences.

The Tamils of these regions did not have the courage and the strength
to fight the politically strong Muslim leadership who gave all the
help and assistance to the Muslim, Home Guards and the hooligans to
carry out their plans to destroy the Tamils, the reason being that
the remaining Tamils were economically bad as they were victims in
every sense; and more so because their children were drawn into the
liberation struggle which compelled them to remain silent spectators.
The fact is, the prevailing situation at that time made them a
complete helpless lot unable to voice their sentiments. There is yet
another situation. There were cries for 'separate Muslim
region'and 'Maritime Muslim District' from the strong Muslim
political Leadership. They were not only participant in a Government;
but also held positions to make or unmake governments. With that
strength, they were able to voice their sentiments and make loud
their slogans to receive the active support of the government of the
day. The Tamils of the region were politically bankrupt with no
representation; hence their grievances could not be spotlighted. The
Rights of the Tamils were not only denied nut also prevented for the
very same reasons.

It was the usual practice of the local politicos to release some
reports for the sake of doing it; while waiting for the next
opportunity to receive their favours from the government of the day.
There seems to be no efforts on their part to launch a struggle with
peoples' support or to expose the atrocities to the outside world;
their hands were tied and also tight-lipped.

There is also no record of any effort by anyone to spotlight the
destructions caused to Hindu Temples by the Muslims to the notice of
organisations like the Indian 'Vishva Hindu Parishad', and cause
embarrassment to those concerned as well is the Sri Lankan Govt.

They simply remained silent knowing fully well that their voices will
not be heard; they were concerned only for their own survival. The
only philosophy preached by them was' God will root out'.

We hear of various slogans like: ' Muslims of the North should be re-
settled traditional, lands taken by force to be handed over to the
owners ' - are often heard from both Muslim leadership and reasonable
Tamil leaderships. In that context, it becomes imperative that the
cause of the Ampara District Tamils too should be spotlighted on a
similar footing. With the on-going war situation over a length of
time, the Ampara Tamils who were subjected to all sorts of inhumane
and atrocious activities have suffered immense hardships. Their
traditional lands too were secured either by force or malicious means
by Muslims. Such lands too should be handed over to these who
occupied them.

Summarising the siutation of the Ampara Tamils, the under-mentioned
matters should be considered:

1. Traditional lands of those occupied by them prior to the war and
subsequently taken by force by the Muslims should be handed over back
to the owners.

2. Hindu Temples destroyed should be re-constructed.

3. Those areas which housed the Hindu Temples and presently colonised
by Muslims should be freed.

4. Those involved in violent activities directed against the Tamils
should be identified and brought before Courts for meeting justice.

5. Affected victims should be adequately compensated taking into
account their losses and their extent.

6. Regions which have majority Muslim population with a minority,
Tamil population should be adequately provided with a trusted
security system so as to afford protection to the life and the
households of the minority Tamils.

7. We are the sole representatives of the Muslims. - if the Sri Lanka
Muslim Congress is sincere about this slogan, and, as they are
partners of the Government, they should come forward and strive to
give effect to the above - mentioned matters.
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

Sri Lankan party accuses India of being 'cunning protector' of Lanka Tamils
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/221 ... india.html

Why Krishna's visit to Lanka can't be termed 'successful'
http://www.rediff.com/news/column/why-k ... 120124.htm

No justice for Tamils in Sri Lanka: Human Rights Watch
http://www.theweekendleader.com/Causes/ ... reams.html

Basic rights violated in Sri Lanka: Rights group
http://www.thesundayleader.lk/2012/01/2 ... hts-group/
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

From defence sales to electricity grids, India upgrades Lanka ties
India’s promise to sell two offshore patrol vessels (OPVs) to Sri Lanka, during their first-ever defence dialogue in New Delhi last week, as well as the recent agreement to build an electricity transmission line from Madurai to Trincomalee and connect the electricity grids of the two countries, is an indication of India’s serious willingness to revamp its primary relationship with its southern neighbour.

The defence dialogue was held between Defence secretary Shashikant Sharma and his counterpart, Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, the brother of Sri Lankan president Mahinda Rajapaksa.

As Sri Lanka recovers from its crippling 26-year-long civil war with the LTTE, which ended in May 2009 with the killing of LTTE chief Velupillai Prabhakaran, it is reaching out to the international community for help across the board. At the end of 2011, Colombo’s foreign exchange reserves were a lowly $5.9 billion, while its trade deficit had touched $8.83 billion.
In the northern part of the island, which had borne the brunt of the civil war, India extended a line of credit worth $382.37 million for track-laying on the Pallai-Kankesanthurai sector, besides signaling and telecommunications for the northern railways. In the Dambulla region, an MoU worth $60.69 million for the supply, erection and commissioning of water treatment plants and distribution was signed. Also in the Jaffna area, about 49,000 houses for Tamils displaced by the war will be built, at a cost of $260 million.

But it is the decision to build a 500 Mw coal project at Sampur, near Trincomalee, a 50:50 joint venture between NTPC and Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) that is really setting the Indian Ocean on fire.

Although the MoU for India’s largest project with Sri Lanka was signed in 2006, it has now been given the status of a Strategic Development Project and is therefore tax-exempt, by Sri Lanka’s economic development minister Basil Rajapaksa, another brother of the President.

In addition, Colombo has finally agreed to the Indian proposal to build a 283-km high voltage electricity transmission line from Madurai to Trincomalee – 264 km of overland line and 39 km of submarine cable – so as to connect the electricity grids between south India and northern Sri Lanka.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

We said it some time ago on BR,here's confirmation:

That the Pakis are now using the Lankan route to smuggle in counterfeit currency into TN and Kerala.

http://www.dailymirror.lk/news/16737-sl ... oint-.html

SL turning into fake currency transit point .
Monday, 13 February 2012 03:00 .KOCHI: The counterfeit currency mafia has been turning to Sri Lanka as a new transit point, recent investigations carried out by the Crime Branch and the National Investigation Agency (NIA) revealed.

According to sources, Tamil Nadu, which has reported a large increase in the number of fake currency cases, of late, has come under the scanner, and it is being unearthed that the fake currencies printed in Pakistan reach Sri Lanka from where they are transported by sea or air to Tamil Nadu and Kerala.

The Organised Crime Wing (OCW) of the Crime Branch, which has been investigating the Nedumbassery fake currency case, has found out that since the security agencies have kept tabs on the arrival of fake currencies through the Bangladesh border, the mafias have shifted their transit point to Sri Lanka.

“There has been an increase in the number of fake currency cases in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. This clearly indicates that Sri Lanka has become the transit point for the fake currencies. Mostly, these notes arrive by fishing boats and by air. Some of the fake currencies seized recently by Tamil Nadu police were from Sri Lanka,” a top OCW official said.

“There have been Intelligence Bureau reports that fishing trawlers are being used for transporting the fake currency. A large number of Sri Lankan trawlers enter India’s territorial waters on the pretext of fishing. There have been recommendations that all the trawlers should be checked thoroughly as the fake currencies from Pakistan are transported by sea through Sri Lanka. The migrant labourers are used for circulating these notes to different parts of the country,” an official at the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence said.

The agents in the rural areas of West Bengal were the main carriers of fake currencies.

"The NIA had tracked some of the agents in Malda who used to circulate fake notes here. But if the arrival of the notes from Sri Lanka continues, the situation will become more complicated. Proper checking and strict vigil along the coastline will help curb the menace,” he added.
PS:Note how these "phony fishermen", and their fke trawlers are being used to smuggle in fake currency.The "incidents" of TN fishermen being attacked at night by unknown boats is now better understood,with the activities of the Pakis,and their smuggler cronies,many of whom are suspected of being former LTTE Sea Tiger cadres.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Sri Lanka readies for fight over civilian deaths in Geneva
R.K. Radhakrishnan
Share · print · T+

Barely few days ahead of the United Nations Human Rights Council session in Geneva, Sri Lanka has begun a no-holds-barred attack on its “enemies”, is making fervent appeals to countries it considers friends, and is galvanising support back home in a bid to cash in on the siege mentality it is trying to create.

Varied numbers

The issue at the Rights Council relates to Sri Lanka's unwillingness to admit to civilian deaths during the end stages of Eelam War IV (January-May 2009). While one pro-Sri Lanka academic, Rohan Gunaratne, put the number killed at around 1,500, a few in the Sri Lankan hierarchy have admitted to deaths being in the range of 2,800 to 3,000. The United Nations Secretary-General's Expert Panel on Accountability in Sri Lanka has said that upwards of 40,000 civilians were killed. The second issue relates to Sri Lanka delaying any kind of political solution to the Tamils of the Northern Province, where the Tamil Tigers held sway for over three decades.

The UNHRC session will witness a resolution against Sri Lanka, which will cite the lack of progress on the promises it had made earlier on a political solution to the Tamils of the Northern Province, and also on make adverse comments on the complete absence of accountability and respect for human rights during the end stages of the war. The United States has made it clear that it will support a resolution of this nature. Canada, United Kingdom, and most of Europe, are likely to demand greater accountability for war crimes.

In Geneva, Sri Lankan Foreign Minister G.L. Peiris warned on Wednesday that any adverse resolution on Sri Lanka will impede the process of reconciliation at this crucial juncture. He held consultations with a wide range of diplomats, while another Minister, and President Mahinda Rajapakasa's Special Envoy on Human Rights, Mahinda Samarasinghe, revealed ahead of leaving for Geneva that a task force would be set up to expedite the human rights action plan. Mr. Samarasinghe, the head of the delegation in the last session of the UNHRC, came under attack for his proposal from the opposition though. The Opposition Leader in Parliament, Ranil Wickramasinghe, asked how such a national action plan could by-pass Parliament and reach Geneva.

Restarting talks

Meanwhile, in a widely publicised move, Mr. Rajapaksa met Tamil National Alliance Leader R. Sampathan, in a bid to find some common ground. The talks between the government and the TNA on finding a political solution had all but stalled, and both have since reworked their positions, after meeting with representatives from the U.S. and India.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

You cannot cover up a grand scale genocide. This is one of the things which no nation state wants in it's history books. SL did an impulsive thing.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

nvishal wrote:You cannot cover up a grand scale genocide. This is one of the things which no nation state wants in it's history books. SL did an impulsive thing.
It will be wiped clean just like the briturds,islamic hordes and xtian aggressions and genocides have been wiped clean from our history books. :)
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

True Chetak and as the old saying goes,"time is a great stealer...sorry,healer!"
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

chetak wrote:It will be wiped clean just like the briturds,islamic hordes and xtian aggressions and genocides have been wiped clean from our history books. :)
1) Just because the genocides do not make mentions in 9th-10th std history books, does not mean that they are not there. The holocaust is described in a few vague lines in the WW2 history book of 10th std.

The whole indian islamic rule is absent in school curriculum. There's a reason for that. There is no way you can add that to the syllabus without distorting it. Do you really want to allow the university fools to pick and omit the parts they want in the final version of the history book?

That part of history is untouched by our secular curriculum.

2) This is the information age. There are eye's watching from the ground, the sea, the air and from space. And it's being recorded. A state organized genocide in this era is extremely crazy. But that is exactly what sri lanka has done.

India has been taking the srilankan side in the war crime tribunals court. Surely, there has been some kind of agreement between india, srilanka and china which only could give the srilankan army the nods to carpet bomb the whole northern areas without worrying about the mass civilian casualties.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

nvishal wrote:
chetak wrote:It will be wiped clean just like the briturds,islamic hordes and xtian aggressions and genocides have been wiped clean from our history books. :)
1) Just because the genocides do not make mentions in 9th-10th std history books, does not mean that they are not there. The holocaust is described in a few vague lines in the WW2 history book of 10th std.

The whole indian islamic rule is absent in school curriculum. There's a reason for that. There is no way you can add that to the syllabus without distorting it. Do you really want to allow the university fools to pick and omit the parts they want in the final version of the history book?

That part of history is untouched by our secular curriculum.

2) This is the information age. There are eye's watching from the ground, the sea, the air and from space. And it's being recorded. A state organized genocide in this era is extremely crazy. But that is exactly what sri lanka has done.

India has been taking the srilankan side in the war crime tribunals court. Surely, there has been some kind of agreement between india, srilanka and china which only could give the srilankan army the nods to carpet bomb the whole northern areas without worrying about the mass civilian casualties.
You say that it is secular to omit islamic and christian genocide but highlight sati and caste system to the constant detriment of the majority?? The continued assault over a few centuries is acceptable to you because as you so very delicately put it........"" There's a reason for that. There is no way you can add that to the syllabus without distorting it. ""

Speaking the historic truth has become distortion of the truth??

Why should any one care for a few dead tamil terrorists when no one, including you it seems, cares for our millions upon millions of dead, killed in countless wanton and brutal genocides? that has now been, oh so carefully and secularly airbrushed away to cater to delicate sensibilities like yours.

The lankans are to be admired for the systematic way they went about in eliminating the ltte murderers. India has very rightly taken the lankan side.

What about the ltte genocide against their own people who did not agree with them?? or is that " secular" too??
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

I was simply appalled at the chutzpah of the Eelamist pretender to the post of "fuhrer" ( president),safely ensconced in his western lair,teling the Economic Times of India in an interview,on India's staunch anti-Eelam/LTTE policy,that the Eelam struggle and demands of the Lankan Tamils (Jaffna Tamils only in reality) should not be held hostage to "one single assassination",meaning that of Rajiv Gandhi!

This is the true mentality of the Eelamist/LTTE scumbag.A mere assassination of an Indian PM should not stop India from supporting them in their diabolic carnage,where hundreds of thousands of lives have been lost,while the number of assassinaions by the LTTE is legion! There should be absolutely no relaxation of the ban on the LTTE and its supporters both abroad and at home.The diaspora is turning to new tricks to renvent the Eelam movement and we should be ever watchful.Hats off to the Lankans from exterminating the swine,even though the need is now there for alleviating the suffering of the innocent civvies and improving the economy of the north and east and integrating them into the unified Lankan nation.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

@chetak
Here's a little food for thought to you...

The indian administration has been exaggerating any indic extremist behaviour into submission. It is nipping it in the bud. On the other hand, it is "encouraging" the total opposite wrt dogmatic religions. Are you smart enough to understand the strategy behind this or are you just too damn slow?

If you still have not figured this out, know that congress is bjp ka baap ka baap. It's cost benefit equation takes into account long term contingencies.

The average people can build a conclusion from a tangible narrative. The intangible narrative is always difficult to grasp.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

@Philip
The srilankans shot their own foot by carpet bombing the civilians with such impunity.

The last thing the US wants is to quietly watch the srilankans become a chinese satellite in the indian ocean. It all points to isolation.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

If that be the case then the US should not behave so hypocritically,when it has also "carpet bombed" and killed thousands at Fallujah and elsewhere in Iraq and Afghanistan.The butchers of Baghdad who are steeped with the blood of Iraqis in the lakhs,have no right to preach to the Lankans about human rights,like the rapist preching the virtue of celibacy to his victim! Nobody gives a damn about the US anymore if they can help it.

The fact is that it was the US for decades which secretly supported the LTTE allegedly covertly funding then using agencies ike the Asia Foundation,etc.,and tried desperately hard to save fuhrer Prabhakaran and his court coterie from being exterminated in the last days of the Eelam War.It wants regime change in Lanka at any cost and the tactic is to squeeze Lanka very hard so that its economy collapses and the govt. falls.Who can blame it if Lanka seeks assistance from China? It is why India is also loath to follow the example of the US,not ever forgetting the duplicity and self-centeredness of the JT Eelamists who assassinated RG. Given half a chance,they would double cross India yet again as they are now conspiring wiht their chief patrons the US of A.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

@philip
The US lost in afghanistan. Its stooge in iraq is just awaiting to be overthrown once US exists afg. The US would have actually won that war had they unleashed a bloodbath in those regions like alexander or gengis khan. But it didn't. Instead, it exits by making a deal with the war lords.

If a super power didn't find it affordable to be a "yahoo" in afg then who are the srilankans? That too under surveillance. They probably got an assurance from the chinese at the UNSC. But tell tale signs have shown that the chinese won't fight a face-to-face war if diplomacy fails.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

Don't seek exclusive rights to Sri Lanka, India told
India should not feel uncomfortable with Chinese presence in Sri Lanka as there is "plenty of room for both", said a Sri Lankan MP and adviser to President Mahinda Rajapaksa. He said India should not try to seek "exclusive rights to Sri Lanka".
"We will soon approach India so that a sum of 1,000 lakh Sri Lankan rupees ($820,000) can be distributed to at least 1,000 ex-combatants."
Protests in Sri Lanka against proposed U.N. rights resolution
The U.S. representative to the U.N. Human Rights Council, Eileen Chamberlain Donahoe, said last week that if Sri Lanka continues to resist the resolution, all options would remain on the table, including calling for an outside investigation.

The U.N. panel report, which was published in 2010, said tens of thousands of civilians may have been killed during the civil war and called for an independent international investigation.

Sri Lanka rejected an international investigation and appointed its own Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission, which cleared government troops of deliberately targeting civilians but proposed an inquiry into complaints of isolated violations. It also said the Tamil Tigers routinely violated international humanitarian laws.
*State organized genocide
*Distortion of historic events
*Majority population in denial
*Mass human rights abuses
*Assassination of journalists
*SL'an politicians speaking in pakistani diplomacy language

Doesn't all this remind you of two certain similar nation states in our neighborhood...
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/condemn-lank ... 0-118.html
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Wednesday urged the Centre to support the US-backed Resolution—raising issues of accountability with regard to the final stages of the civil war in the island nation, involving rights violations—when it comes up for voting in the United Nation Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in Geneva during March.
http://expressbuzz.com/topnews/vaiko-as ... 67936.html
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

India urging Sri Lanka to allocate oil exploration blocks
Sandeep Dikshit
Share · print · T+

India is persuading Sri Lanka to allocate oil exploration blocks in the waters that separate them as it considers the location too strategically important to allow companies from other nations to base themselves in this area.

Diplomatic sources said the two countries were trying to set up a meeting between the Petroleum Ministers this month to discuss the issue afresh, now that Cairns India has struck oil in one of the blocks. If the talks make progress, the two Ministers could meet again in October, the sources said.

After the war with the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) ended in 2009, Cairns, which was allocated a block two years earlier, was encouraged by New Delhi to take up exploitation in earnest. This was the first time in 25 years that a company had prospected for oil in an area whose seas were considered no-go areas during the heyday of the LTTE.

India plans to step up its efforts in view of the international interest in the area after the war ended. Russian, Vietnamese and Malaysian companies have held meetings on the subject with senior Sri Lankan officials while China has also expressed its desire to get involved.

While Russia, Vietnam and Malaysia are considered friendly countries, New Delhi would not like to court adverse publicity at home if Chinese companies are successful. It has faced flak after the Chinese took up the expansion of Hambantota port in southern Sri Lanka because India had passed up the opportunity.

In talks

ONGC Videsh is in talks with Cairns to buy its stake in a Mannar block, and in recent meetings in Colombo asked for the allocation of the adjacent blocks. Sri Lanka has earlier played for time by telling India that it would wait for the results of exploration by Cairns before putting the other blocks on auction.

Now that Cairns has reported discovery of oil, India feels talks should begin in earnest. In recent talks Sri Lanka has offered one of the blocks but appeared non-committal on the others.

India is also keen to take up exploration in the Cauvery basin, which is not far from its own offshore oil-bearing area by the same name. Here too, India is reluctant to allow other foreign companies to get in. India says ONGC's experience in the Cauvery basin would come in handy here, as similar geological characteristics would reduce the lead time for exploration and production.

But officials feel Sri Lanka could be playing for time after it informed the Indians about plans to carve out more blocks from the existing ones — Colombo might be sizing up the potential to strike a favourable revenue-sharing arrangement, they said.

New Delhi expects a favourable response after having stood by Sri Lanka during its annihilation of the LTTE's military structure even though sections of the world community and Indian domestic public opinion assailed the security forces for human rights abuses.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

shyamd wrote:India urging Sri Lanka to allocate oil exploration blocks
Sandeep Dikshit

New Delhi expects a favourable response after having stood by Sri Lanka during its annihilation of the LTTE's military structure even though sections of the world community and Indian domestic public opinion assailed the security forces for human rights abuses.[/b]

Let's not forget the devious sinhala cunning that dragged us into this mess in the first place.

Expect nothing better now from them, even after so many years and so many uncounted favors.

They are excited because a chinaman is sniffing around.
paramu
BRFite

Post by paramu »

Sri Lanka row over Catholic letter on human rights
One of Sri Lanka's governing parties has called for the prosecution of a leading bishop after he condemned the government's human rights record.

The Roman Catholic Bishop of Mannar and 30 priests wrote to the UN Human Rights Council calling for an inquiry into the legacy of Sri Lanka's civil war.
It seems that clergy in Sri Lanka also is working to promote foreign interests. Of course, the church will show a rift because they don't want to be banned. However, their actions show that their country's national interest is not their interest.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/tam ... 977828.ece
India should back resolution against Sri Lanka: Karunanidhi

DMK President M. Karunanidhi on Friday said India should declare support for the U.S.-backed resolution against Sri Lanka in the ongoing United Nations Human Rights Council meet in Geneva for alleged “war crimes” on Tamils during the internal conflict.

“The tears have not dried up.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

India should propose an alternative--an Indian-led investigation which includes impeccable Tamil figures like prez Kalam. This is the time to take de facto dominion over the North and bring Sinhala racism into line. It is clear that LTTE fascism, JVP type goondagiri and Sinhala racism and the complete lack of integrity and maturity of all parties are all different aspects of the same pakiness problem which has become a problem for us.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

India yet to decide on rights resolution against Sri Lanka
India is still to take a stand on the resolution backed by Norway and western countries, besides the U.S., though Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has written twice to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding that New Delhi go with it, while Pakistan, along with the Organisation of Islamic Countries (OIC), Russia and China, has supported Sri Lanka.
Srilanka cannot afford to participate in the regional geo-political riff raff of south asia but it has finally dragged itself into it.

Maybe it is not a coincidence after all.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

There is considerable confusion and chaos being created over the UN Human Rights meet in Geneva and the issue of SL.The chiefplayers are the US,who are trying desperately to armtwist the GOSL using threats,etc., and the Eelam diaspora,who comprise hard line LTTE folk and non-LTTE equally determined Eelamists.These two diaspora entiuties are apparently on different roadmaps,which is haviong its effect in Lanka in the confusion within the northern Tamil political entity called the "TNA".The diapspora has been trying hard to get the TNA to attend the Geneva conf. so that it can engineer massive demos against SL at the venue.However,the rump of the TNA is against going even though a Tamil MP and Tamil lingo media baron has bene using his paper to toe and trumpet his line of thought.

It is now very clear that sharpo differences exist in the diaspora and that there is no clear leadership after the extermination of their fuhrer Prabhakaran.Likee xiled Russians in Europe after the revolution,they fondly hope and look for reigniting by any means the ethnic cauldron in Lanka,using Tamil Nadu politics and politicos as a springboard.The hope at geneva is that with the US's help,a decision will be taken to "intervene" against the GOSL just as the US and the west are plotting to "intervene" in Syria.This is where India is caught in a diemma.It wants more avction by the GOSL on the ground to give more powers to the regions esp. the North and East but is against foreign intervention and mischief as the diaspora is trying hard to engineer.

In fact,to show you how normal life in the island is right now,the current "battles" being fought are on the cricket field,where in the North,the "Battle of the North" is being fought by the two leading Jaffna schools and in Colombo,the "Battle of the Blues" the 133rd Royal-Thomian match,where the grandson of a very dear friend of mine-now deceased,is the Thomian captain!

PS:OIL diplomacy at a crucial phase.India wants all the 4 blocks being offered solely to it.No Chinese,etc.The GOSL is in a bind over Iranian sanctions by the west/US.It would be best if it fiollowed India's barter method of payment and also offered the Iranians to stock up the WW2 Trinco Oil Tank Farm (where IOC has a presence) wioth huge strategic supplies for India,SL and other friendly nations.SL could also earn some "rental" money and pay for its own supplies with tea,rubber,etc.This way Iranian oil would be available in large quantities for interested parties "outside" the Straits in case of a crisis,plus of greatbvenefit to the nationsof the sub-continent and ASEAN who buy Iranian oil...not to mention the PRC too!
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

Centre impervious to T.N. sentiments
China factor in Indian Ocean dictating policy

Strategic considerations have always prevailed over Tamil Nadu's opinion on Sri Lanka, and the latest stand of the Centre on the UN Human Rights Council resolution reflects the trend, say analysts.

The Shastri-Sirimavo Bandaranaike pact of 1964 on repatriation of people of Indian origin, the 1974 maritime boundary agreement ceding Katchatheevu to Sri Lanka in the interest of “good neighbourly relations,” and the indifference to the protests in the State demanding an end to war in 2009 and various resolutions of the State Assembly show that the Union government has remained impervious to Tamil Nadu's sentiments.

Commenting on India's stand in Geneva, Prof. Ramu Manivannan, Head, Department of Politics and Public Administration in the University of Madras, has said in a recent paper that India might once again ignore this growing constituency of parties, leaders and people in Tamil Nadu, who remain disenchanted with India's foreign policy towards Sri Lanka.

“Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has only been articulating this concern through resolutions passed in the state legislature, making a political appeal to the Indian government with regard to the war crimes and crimes against humanity committed by the Sri Lankan government and its authorities. There is a certain sanctity to popular legislature and peoples' voice in a democracy that the government cannot ignore for long before it is too late,” says Prof. Manivannan.

Tamil nationalists such as P. Nedumaran and K. Veeramani have also demanded that the Centre take a clear stand against Sri Lanka at the Human Rights Council. New Delhi's argument that it cannot support a country-specific resolution does not hold water, says Periyar Dravidar Kazhagam general secretary Viduthalai Rajendran,
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

Manmohan favours the way forward
STORM BREWING OVER THE LANKAN ENDGAME