Deterrence

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Deterrence

Post by shiv »

svinayak wrote:
The guy Kidwai keeps talking about South Asia as if he and his country owns south asia.
He should be only talking about Pakistan and what is the impact for Pakistan.

This guy tries to give a spin on terrorism in his country as if it came by itself into its country.
He talks about 1.5 billion people as if he is from a country of 1.5 billion country.
He is clever enough to understand that most Americans do not know what South Asia means and speaks in generalities to make it seem like Pakistan's issues are "South Asia issues" and that Pakistan's problems can only be solved by addressing the larger South Asia issues.

Pakistanis have been far more clever than Indians in reading the American brain and feeding it with what it can understand. Kidwai is doing just that. Indians (in the past) have been too busy admiring the US and its cleverness while cursing India to see that Pakistanis learned how to sucker the Americans way back in the 1950s.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

shiv, India can now afford to not read American brains as it has resolved the issues.

Kidwai is trying to get parity thru American influence before its too late and Pak collapses.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

Ramana guru I do not think it is just that. This gives us glimpse into thinking of their highest mara'ds on what they think and what is coming for desh. For ex. new clear cruise missiles probably on loaned Chinese or mesmaa subs other increase in length (read more new transfer from birader taller than mountain) to able to extend reach till Adaman's.

What surprises me is that they are open to use them on conventional attack and see not a single person questioned them that why a conventional operation merits this.Secondly they are ramping up to make sure they have enough numbers to harm to desh, also they want ambiguity on numbers and usage doctrine. I agree it is a begging bowl agenda too but it reveals more than I have ever seen or read into their thinking.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Pakistanis have tried to position their nuclear program as a response to a threat by a bliigerent India - a threat that, in the Pakistani narrative, would cause Pakistan to cease to exist. This narrative is accepted in Western capitals. Within Pakistan, Pakis have stated that they are safe because India cannot threaten them for fear of being nuked.

This, after all, was the "cover story" that enabled them to encourage terrorism from the 80s to the early 2000s. The rationale has still not gone away - but Pakistani terrorism in India is (for whatever reason) ebbing to an all time low. This may be a temporary reprieve, I don't know - but terrorism on the other hand, as Doval points out, increased manifold in Pakistan and in other parts of the world.

Doval, in his video, (Indo-Australia) points out that an Al Qaeda senior leader - in an Arabic newspaper article in 2002 pointed out that the central "top-down" Al Qaeda leadership would be eliminated by the west (after 9-11) and actually showed the way forward by saying that the fight should continue at ground level to build a bottom-up revolution where Sunni Muslims on the ground all over the world should rise up against local "injustices" and create mayhem everywhere. This is what is happening now all over the world. Pakis are trying to pass off local Islamist uprisings in Pakistan as Indian sponsored terror. However this narrative is no good for actually using nukes on India. It is however a great story to make the west pay for Pakistan's security by claiming that Indians are sponsoring so much terror via Afghanistan that Pakistan's nukes may come under threat unless the west pays the Pakistan army.

We have no problem believing this to be the case, but the US and the west are afraid that the Pakis are telling the truth. Nothing can convince them to call the Paki bluff because they (the west) believe they have too much to lose. They would rather pay Pakistan to keep its nukes and have them aimed at India and propagate the narrative that Pakistan needs those nukes against the "India threat" rather than viewing the story as a Pakistani Army lie to make sure it remains well funded and well armed.

In case of war with India, it will prove to the world that India is belligerent and that Pakistan's nuclear armament is well justified. The only problem is if there is no war with India. In case of no war with India the only end point of the Pakistani nuclear weapons program is to come under control of an increasingly radical Islamist regime in Pakistan. As I have stated time and again for a decade, an "Islamist regime in Pakistan with nuclear weapons" has been threatening India for two decades. That regime has been milking money from the west and was therefore constrained not to attack the west. Any further radicalization in the Pakistani army would be sure to put the west in danger as well. I see this as a good and positive development. the west needs to understand what it feels like to be threatened by Pakistan. They need not worry - after all they are so sooo experienced in facing up to the USSR. Why should they worry about their little pipsqueak Pakistan? I am sure they can handle the threat.

There is a Pakistani dilemma here and that is they do not want to see any Pakistan trained terrorist turn up outside of India - which is what has happened. As long as the cold war world led by the US saw India as a communist sympathizing threat, Pakistan got plenty of leeway. When India ceases to be a threat to the west and Islamist terror takes over, those who train terrorists will be targeted. I am certain Pakistan would like to ensure that Iraqi/ISIS training camps train terrorists against India and they would be even happier to see such terrorism emanate from a post-drawdown Afghanistan. This game is getting moire difficult to play and as long as every nation gets attacked by Islamists it gets more difficult to claim that India is the threat. Pakistan is flogging a dead horse - building nukes against India when their threat is from Islamic terror.

They are trying to say that Islamist terrorism is somehow linked to the fact that Cashmere has not been given to them But they have succeeded in convincing the world of one thing. they have succeeded in convincing the world that India is trying to destabilize them from Afghanistan. Right here on BRF I was initially pleased to note (a few years ago) that the focus seemed to be shifting from Cashmere to Afghanistan. But I now know that it was Pakistan that chose to do that. Pakistan can now blame any trouble it has from the Afghan border as being sponsored by India, requiring a nuclear response. This in fact has become a common meme - the "IndiaPakistan" "rivalry" in Afghanistan. Ten years ago it was IndiaPakistan" "rivalry" over Cashmere.

However as long as states like Iraq, Syria, Somalia, Afghanistan and Pakistan keep producing terrorists who hit everyone on earth it will be difficult to blame Islamist terror on India. In fact it will get even more difficult if Pakistan linked terrorists start reappearing in various parts of the world - which is what i hope will happen.

All in all, it is clear that Sunni Islamist forces in the world already have Sunni nukes held by Pakistan. It is only a question of when Pakistan gets a radical enough leadership to make that obvious to the dundering nincompoops who lead the western world. The west acts like a woman (the west) who is having her bottom pinched and boobs squeezed by a lecher (Pakistan) and still thinks he has "good intentions". He will have to drop his pants and flash a hard on to make her mind think of his true intentions. Stupid blundering idiots,

sorry - that was a bit of a ramble
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

shiv wrote: This in fact has become a common meme - the "IndiaPakistan" "rivalry" in Afghanistan. Ten years ago it was IndiaPakistan" "rivalry" over Cashmere.
This is exactly what the stinking oiseaules in the Brookings Insitution pumped up along with "US intentions to leave afghanisthan" byline with that article by the scheming mofo William Dalrymple, assisted by his minions in the Indian "intellectual" community and a bunch of retarded mofos in Bangalore think tanks. Dalrymple's essential point was "Afghanisthan is an India-Pakistan problem and USA and UK have nothing to do with it". This is the same Brookings institution that is being pimped up by the worthless mofos in the Delhi Babucracy, who have their familly members and others in the Brookings India...check out who heads Brookings India.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Tuvaluan wrote: the scheming mofo William Dalrymple, assisted by his minions in the Indian "intellectual" community and a bunch of retarded mofos in Bangalore think tanks. Dalrymple's essential point was "Afghanisthan is an India-Pakistan problem and USA and UK have nothing to do with it". This is the same Brookings institution that is being pimped up by the worthless mofos in the Delhi Babucracy, who have their familly members and others in the Brookings India...check out who heads Brookings India.
Unfortunately this sort of mafugging scheming requires counter-scheming on India's part to make Pakistani nuclear weapons a western problem. That means India does not make war on Pakistan. In fact it was just because India refused to make war in Cashmere that the focus shifted to "finding Indian interference" in Afghanistan. That is why India should not put troops in Afghanistan. Let the Taliban take over. Last time they did that the US found itself two buildings short and one half-wit president cowering in his hole. Back then Pakistan, the Taliban's primary ally had 200 nukes less than now and was easily browbeaten by a protein-overfed American general.
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

No matter how we break it down. The threat of Pakis nuking India is real. Chinese joining hands and khan looking the other way is all real. Khan wants market access but would not like to part away from the market share. They know it is only a matter of time before saavy Desi multinationals will take over the markets. So until India has the capability to bring down the world, meaning 12000 km range ICBMs and SLBMs we can only indulge in some defensive posturing and analysis paralysis. It is hard to say this in think tank circles but everybody knows it. My only hope is our own Netas and Babus know about it and working on getting that capability. Unfortunately geopolitical evolution is also based on survival of the fittest. Terrorists as far as I am concerned are pawns in this game and all we can do about it is defend everyday until the day we have the capability to make the phone call that Khan made to its munna about bombing them to the Stone Age. Sorry I am pessimistic today. No uncle or aunty will ask munna to control terrorists acting against India. We give them some lucrative defense contract they may make some statements until the contract is signed. This is what I observe from the 80s. I would be happy if my analysis is wrong.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Walk softly and carry a big stick and let every one know a bigger stick is in closet ready to come out.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

williams wrote:No matter how we break it down. The threat of Pakis nuking India is real. Chinese joining hands and khan looking the other way is all real. Khan wants market access but would not like to part away from the market share. They know it is only a matter of time before saavy Desi multinationals will take over the markets. So until India has the capability to bring down the world, meaning 12000 km range ICBMs and SLBMs we can only indulge in some defensive posturing and analysis paralysis.
With respect, this is also an example of analysis and paralysis.

The argument that the threat of being nuked by Pakistan "being real" is stating what has been obvious for 25 years. The idea that China and the US looked the other way is well documented and a repetition of well known information.

Our needing 12,000 km ICBMs to threaten the US and Europe is definitely one idea that bears looking at.

But how about creating conditions for Pakistan's nukes to be turned against the West and China while we watch, as they have done for 25 years?

After all the West looked at Pakistan as a secular nation that helped them defeat the commies despite its heavy burden of having to oppose Hindu India. But Pakistan is an Islamic nation that helped the west defeat the USSR despite its Islamic obsession with Hindu India. Pakistan represents the victory of Islam over unbelievers and they have been helping Christian nations fight the ungodly Commies. Now is the time for Islam to break free from the slavery of the West. The West has made the ideals of the Prophet Mohammad slave to their own desires and the Pakistani army has helped them. The current crisis of ISIS is because of the slavery and defeat of Islam by the west. A proper Islamic government needs to come into power in Pakistan to achieve the full potential of the future Islamic Caliphate.

Of course it will mean more trouble for us. But the West and China have cheered and laughed all these years. It would be nice to see them come under threat of Pakistani nuclear weapons, weapons that they encouraged Pakistan to get as they looked the other way. No doubt the Pakistani army will, to the last moment, pretend that it is anti-Islamic and pro west so that it can keep building nukes. At the last minute that facade of secularism of the Pakistani army will collapse and Pakistan will become fully Islamic, sooner or later.

This is a prediction.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Let me ask the reverse then. If the threat of Pakis nuking India is real why hasn't it nuked India yet?

I mean, there is the Kashmir issue, the question of flying the sabz flag on the lal kqilla, yindoo bania treachery, water theft, peeshower ballast, etc. The latest yindoo saazis is trying to break Bakistan. Can there be a bigger reason to nuke India? Why not solve ALL issues in one shot? Indian will only grow stronger by the day.

Add to that bestern/its claims of possessing better missile, more sophisticated nukes and more nukes? What seems to be problem hanji given that every thing favors bakis nuking India like yesterday?
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

I like the idea of Pakistan's nukes to be turned against the West and China. But how much of a leverage we have to speed up that process and how well will such a strategy work in favor of our security is still a big question mark. I also don't buy this argument, that for the threat to be real, they should use the nukes. I believe such a threat is one of the factor for our extreme level of defensive response to every Paki aggression and terrorist attack. No major power will be sending dossiers when a major terrorist attack like 26/11 happens and there is direct evidence that it is state sponsored.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

williams wrote:No matter how we break it down. The threat of Pakis nuking India is real. Chinese joining hands and khan looking the other way is all real. Khan wants market access but would not like to part away from the market share.
That sounds like nukes are war fighting weapons (offensive) rather then deterrence. Without any context sound like Delhi, Mumbai and other big cities will be vaporized by bakis at will.

I will wholeheartedly agree that Baki nukes have a deterrence value but that tells me that pakis will use nukes only in response to India's. In such a scenario, India can avoid being nuked by Bakis by forgoing the first use and that we have already done.

Lets not go by the bakis farts but try to figure out under what circumstance will they unleash nukes against India first. If they cannot/will not go for first use then mere possession does not make it a real threat given India's NFU. Possession of nukes by bakis however make it a theoretical threat. I am not discounting the use of nukes but we must understand the circumstance that will make a theoretical threat real.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

williams wrote: I also don't buy this argument, that for the threat to be real, they should use the nukes. I believe such a threat is one of the factor for our extreme level of defensive response to every Paki aggression and terrorist attack. No major power will be sending dossiers when a major terrorist attack like 26/11 happens and there is direct evidence that it is state sponsored.
The idea that "some other power would have done something different unlike our defensive response" is not a direct indicator that we are totally cowed down because the argument is hypothetical. Pakistan has not directly threatened anyone else and second guessing the behaviour of that someone else and comparing that hypothetical behaviour with India's actual behaviour is sophistry.

Pakistan has threatened India with nuclear weapons and the question is what we would have done if such a threat did not exist. This is a totally hypothetical question but it is worth looking at it and comparing what Pakistan has to say and what India has done.

How other powers respond to Pakistan is a different issue because they are not under direct threat and I will state my observation in that regard later. But first, India.
  • In 1947: No Pakistani nuclear threat, but India stopped short of reoccupying all of Kashmir
  • In 1965: No Pakistani nuclear threat, but India just defended itself. The opening of a new front was judged as "trying to attack Pakistan"
  • 1n 1971: no Pakistani nuclear threat. Bangladesh formed. India stopped short of breaking up west Pakistan. In fact the line was simply held in the west with no major advances
  • By 1984: Pakistan had its first nuke but that did not stop the reoccupation of Siachen
  • 1987: Pakistani threat was open and absolutely nothing happened, although Pakistan claims that an Indian invasion was stopped. It is claimed that Gen Sunderji's Operation Brasstacks was to be an attack on Pakistan which did not take place because of Paki nukes. This argument is no different from the claim that you dispute - that Pakistani nukes are not a threat because they have not been used. No Indian invasion occurred in 1987 therefore Pakistani nukes are an effective deterrent
  • 1999: Kargil. Pakistani war plans in 1999 (as per a paper written by Gen Javid Nasir) was that in 1965 India responded to a localized invasion by spreading the conflict to other areas. But because of Pakistani nukes, India in 1999 would not be able to escalate the conflict as it had done in 1965, allowing Pakistan to exert irresistible force in Kargil. What transpired was that India escalated by using air power. Pakistan should have escalated too by using counter air power. Why did their nuclear bravado not help them at that point? Or why was India not prevented from responding adequately?
  • 2001-2002: This, in my view was a pointless action. The possibility of a nuclear exchange was kept in mind and it was openly announced that India was readying its forces for use. It was announced in the media. Despite the pointlessness of the whole exercise - the readying of nuclear forces by India does not sound like an act that sought to mollify or reassure Pakistan or indicate Indian fear.
Let me say this: As long as you, or Pakistan, take the view that India is being held back from attacking Pakistan because of its nukes, you cannot be proven wrong. But nothing in history shows that India has any intention of attacking west Pakistan. If the lack of intention of attacking west Pakistan is "fear" of nukes - that fear existed even before Pakistan got nukes.

I see a number of Indians on BRF and now I am including you in that list - among people who believe the Pakistani story that India has an intent to attack Pakistan and is being prevented from doing that by Paki nukes. I am unable to see any such intent in Indian actions from 1947. the story that Indian seeks to attack Pakistan is a Pakistani story and believing that story is your prerogative. I don't buy it.

If the argument is "If India had to take over Pakistan we should have done it before they got nukes" - then that argument is in my view akin to the one that says "if my aunt had a di(k she would have been my uncle". India has never shown any intent of attacking Pakistan so the idea that we should have done it earlier is meaningless. Pakistanis and some Indians call a lack of intent to attack Pakistan as "fear" and "cowardliness". If you belong to this group it is your prerogative to hold that view. It is an argument that both sides can use. I can say that Pakistan has not nuked India because it is afraid of using nukes. Same fear and cowardliness in Pakistan.

Coming to the point about "other powers" doing things to Pakistan, let me be brief because I have said this countless times
1. "Other powers" are not under nuclear threat from Pakistan
2. Pakistan has thumbed its nose at the US and has made the US look like a jackass (although America rakshaks will never admit that) by milking the US for money saying that nukes will go to Taliban while not doing anything against the Taliban. The US has shown genuine fear of Pakistani nukes and a willingness to be blackmailed by anyone in Pakistan who promises to help the US.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Shiv ji
Pakistan is Nuke Nude.
Their bombs are enriched uranium, poor quality, poor enrichment levels, impurities.
They've tested them thrice, the yield was subkilton on each occasion.

Exhibit 1:The humiliation of AQ Khan thereafter is because his Uranium pathway was hot air, and the tests in chagai proved it to be so.
Exhibit 2: For years the western media was publishing reports given to them by the people in the know, that terrorists may get their hands on dirty bombs because of lack of security in Pakistan's nuclear storage sites.

Dirty bombs are exactly what they have, with a number in the region of 25-35.

Samar Mubarakmand jumped in the ring and bandied the Pu route, which the chinese are helping them with now.
They still don't have the Pu weapon, but will acquire one if they are not stopped.

Then they will be a true nuclear weapons state.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

@ Shiv Sir: You are positing that India never had the intention of dismembering Pakistan, hence the question of India being afraid of Pak nuclear weapons is moot. I would not contend the second part, but is it really true that we have not considered breaking Pakistan up several times?

Posting a slightly dated article from Swarajya, which posits that Indian intentions of doing a East Pakistan to POK in 1971 was stopped by untimely leaks from withing the PM's Cabinet. I would ask your opinion on how this article affects the hypothesis that we have not considered breaking Pakistan?

India Could Have Split West Pakistan in 1971- Swarajya, Anuj Dhar

Maybe, and I here I am with you, its not Pak nukes, but reactions from other countries and internal factors which have held us in check. Nukes, no nukes, the day we find ourselves ready we will through war, other, policy alternatives break down Pakistan.

Your views would be much appreciated.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Mukesh.Kumar - I think there were definitely some people who felt that way in 1971 - although I cannot recall where I read it. But multiple sources (books and articles) indicate that the intention at the highest levels was to hold the west and sort out the east. The hostility that the US showed towards India would never allow a patriotic Indian to view the US favourably again. They lied and lied and lied about India and the US administration backed the cooked up story that India wanted to attack west Pakistan. Even this story could have been a plant - because if the US knew so much they should have been able to do more to curb Indian actions which started right after March 25th 1971. India essentially set up and enabled the Mukti Bahini and even gave them a semblance of an air force. But US intentions would have played heavily on the minds of Indian planners. It is another matter that Nixon and Kissinger were outwitted, but they deserved that. But they wanted Yahya protected at any cost and did not give a damn about Bangladesh. They were racist mothefukers who represented the idea of American supremacy and resented anyone questioning that.

Like the other story that I disputed elsewhere in these forums - a story that Russian AWACS aircraft were helping the IAF, the idea that India intended to break up West Pak is not true. It probably "could have" done that. But there is a huge difference between what we "could have" done and what our intentions were.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

By the way this is OT for this thread but everything on that cable looks OK but someone has edited the date. Looks like someone wanted it to look genuine and knew that a faded date would be questioned. But didn't he think that an edited date would look equally bad?
http://vnz09vting1y7vq63zfizb29.wpengin ... nt-CIA.jpg

What is particularly funny is that by 10th December it was not clear that Bangladesh would be liberated in a matter of days. Even the Tangail air drop occurred on 11th Dec. That event speeded up India's advance to Dacca. But what was Indira Gandhi blabbering about liberation of Bangladesh on 10th December? Looks fake to me.

It would have suited the liar Nixon to arrange a fake source of info and fake intentions so that he could intervene on behalf of Yahya if need be over and above the objections of many sensible and honest people in his own administration. Nixon was a liar and much of what came out of the US wrt to 1971 are lies. I would recommend the book "The Blood telegram" which lays out the ways in which Nixon and Kissinger lied in 1971.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

shiv wrote:By the way this is OT for this thread but everything on that cable looks OK but someone has edited the date. Looks like someone wanted it to look genuine and knew that a faded date would be questioned. But didn't he think that an edited date would look equally bad?
http://vnz09vting1y7vq63zfizb29.wpengin ... nt-CIA.jpg

What is particularly funny is that by 10th December it was not clear that Bangladesh would be liberated in a matter of days. Even the Tangail air drop occurred on 11th Dec. That event speeded up India's advance to Dacca. But what was Indira Gandhi blabbering about liberation of Bangladesh on 10th December? Looks fake to me.

It would have suited the liar Nixon to arrange a fake source of info and fake intentions so that he could intervene on behalf of Yahya if need be over and above the objections of many sensible and honest people in his own administration. Nixon was a liar and much of what came out of the US wrt to 1971 are lies. I would recommend the book "The Blood telegram" which lays out the ways in which Nixon and Kissinger lied in 1971.

Agree this is a fake telegram of which dirty tricks is famous for. Recall Zimmermann telegram etc. by GB during WWI.

It was Maj. Gen Jacob who saw the opportunity to end the war by capturing Dacca.
All Delhi plans were to seize some territory and host Mujib ur Rehman there.

Jacob and his staff re-planned and got approval from headquarters.

OTH, Maj. Gen. S. Singh in his books "India's Wars since Independence" says there were many plans on the western borders but were not exploited by the field commanders. Knowing a leaky system its prudent to have many plans to sow chaos out of which the true plan gets operationalized without hindrance.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ramana wrote: OTH, Maj. Gen. S. Singh in his books "India's Wars since Independence" says there were many plans on the western borders but were not exploited by the field commanders. Knowing a leaky system its prudent to have many plans to sow chaos out of which the true plan gets operationalized without hindrance.
OT again - as someone famously said - "Give me a lucky general any day over a good general"
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

shiv wrote:Mukesh.Kumar - I think there were definitely some people who felt that way in 1971 - although I cannot recall where I read it. But multiple sources (books and articles) indicate that the intention at the highest levels was to hold the west and sort out the east. The hostility that the US showed towards India would never allow a patriotic Indian to view the US favourably again. They lied and lied and lied about India and the US administration backed the cooked up story that India wanted to attack west Pakistan. Even this story could have been a plant - because if the US knew so much they should have been able to do more to curb Indian actions which started right after March 25th 1971. India essentially set up and enabled the Mukti Bahini and even gave them a semblance of an air force. But US intentions would have played heavily on the minds of Indian planners. It is another matter that Nixon and Kissinger were outwitted, but they deserved that. But they wanted Yahya protected at any cost and did not give a damn about Bangladesh. They were racist mothefukers who represented the idea of American supremacy and resented anyone questioning that.

Like the other story that I disputed elsewhere in these forums - a story that Russian AWACS aircraft were helping the IAF, the idea that India intended to break up West Pak is not true. It probably "could have" done that. But there is a huge difference between what we "could have" done and what our intentions were.
Lot of these are Disinformation planted to create a false impression.

The boast and bluster of Pak was apparent to all countries including US, China, SU and India.
HK- My White House Years give a BIG PICTURE information on the significance of 1971. The US needed support against the communist SU from Pak and PRC in those times. Pak was not completely with US before that since they felt they had 'won' the war in 1965.
After 1971 Pak became complete client state of US.
PRC came into the orbit of US-Pak axis after 1971
The west Pak region was needed by US for future plans against SU.

America has no permanent friends or enemies, only interests.
Henry Kissinger: The White House Years, . This echoes Lord Palmerston's words: "We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual".

--
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

The NY Times editorial board reacts to Kidwai's bluster.

Nuclear Fears in South Asia
The world’s attention has rightly been riveted on negotiations aimed at curbing Iran’s nuclear program. If and when that deal is made final, America and the other major powers that worked on it — China, Russia, Britain, France and Germany — should turn their attention to South Asia, a troubled region with growing nuclear risks of its own.

Pakistan, with the world’s fastest-growing nuclear arsenal, is unquestionably the biggest concern, one reinforced by several recent developments. Last week, Pakistan’s prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, announced that he had approved a new deal to purchase eight diesel-electric submarines from China, which could be equipped with nuclear missiles, for an estimated $5 billion. Last month, Pakistan test-fired a ballistic missile that appears capable of carrying a nuclear warhead to any part of India. And a senior adviser, Khalid Ahmed Kidwai, reaffirmed Pakistan’s determination to continue developing short-range tactical nuclear weapons whose only purpose is use on the battlefield in a war against India.

These investments reflect the Pakistani Army’s continuing obsession with India as the enemy, a rationale that allows the generals to maintain maximum power over the government and demand maximum national resources. Pakistan now has an arsenal of as many as 120 nuclear weapons and is expected to triple that in a decade. An increase of that size makes no sense, especially since India’s nuclear arsenal, estimated at about 110 weapons, is growing more slowly.

The two countries have a troubled history, having fought four wars since independence in 1947, and deep animosities persist. Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India has made it clear that Pakistan can expect retaliation if Islamic militants carry out a terrorist attack in India, as happened with the 2008 bombing in Mumbai. But the latest major conflict was in 1999, and since then India, a vibrant democracy, has focused on becoming a regional economic and political power.

At the same time, Pakistan has sunk deeper into chaos, threatened by economic collapse, the weakening of political institutions and, most of all, a Taliban insurgency that aims to bring down the state. Advanced military equipment — new submarines, the medium-range Shaheen-III missile with a reported range of up to 1,700 miles, short-range tactical nuclear weapons — are of little use in defending against such threats. The billions of dollars wasted on these systems would be better spent investing in health, education and jobs for Pakistan’s people.

Even more troubling, the Pakistani Army has become increasingly dependent on the nuclear arsenal because Pakistan cannot match the size and sophistication of India’s conventional forces. Pakistan has left open the possibility that it could be the first to use nuclear weapons in a confrontation, even one that began with conventional arms. Adding short-range tactical nuclear weapons that can hit their targets quickly compounds the danger.

Pakistan is hardly alone in its potential to cause regional instability. China, which considers Pakistan a close ally and India a potential threat, is continuing to build up its nuclear arsenal, now estimated at 250 weapons, while all three countries are moving ahead with plans to deploy nuclear weapons at sea in the Indian Ocean.

This is not a situation that can be ignored by the major powers, however preoccupied they may be by the long negotiations with Iran.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

Pakistan's nuclear weapons are being exagerrated by the likes of NYT and BS Of Atomic Scientists and all the usual Arms Control tools -- they won't give up on their stated goal of a "nukular free sooth asia". How exactly are the pakis going to triple their arsenal by just producing more Pu? unless of course, it is an unstated assumption that China will hand them them the technology for creating more weapons. Entire set of claims are just bogus, but I am all for Pakis spending all their efforts in creating more nuclear weapons that can be stolen by the islamists and used to target the west. Ideal conclusion to this drama, really.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Found this in my personal archives a BRF post by Rupak from Apr 2000 with no link
From Indira to Gowda It was Bomb All the Way
By K SUBRAHMANYAM

THREE recent publications have unravelled the mystery surrounding the Indian nuclear weapons programme. Taken together they help to build a national consensus on the Indian nuclear policy both in respect of nuclear arsenal and the international arms control arrangements acceptable to the country. These are: George Perkovich's India's nuclear bomb (California University Press, 1999) Raj Chengappa's Weapons of Peace (Harper Collins, 2000) and From Surprise to Reckoning, the Kargil Review panel's report (Sage Publications, 2000). These three publications make it clear that beyond conducting successfully the twice-postponed nuclear tests, the BJP contributed little to Indian nuclear weapon development or policy, the policy was mostly formulated by Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi and Narasimha Rao with contributions from V P Singh, Chandrashekar, Deve Gowda and Inder Gujral.

In fact, there has been no difference between the Congress and the BJP in respect of nuclear strategy. Chengappa's book reveals that weaponisation of Indian nuclear programme was completed in May, 1994 when the Indian Air Force carried out the tests of toss bombing of a fully assembled nuclear bomb (minus its nuclear core) and checked its functioning with all its safety locks unlocking on a preprogrammed basis. Similarly, tests of missile warheads have also been carried out. Former Prime Minister Narasimha Rao and Scientific Adviser Abdul Kalam confirmed to the Kargil Review panel that weaponisation was completed in 1992-94.

Chengappa's book traces both the nuclear weapon and the various missile carrier programmes to the second term of office of Mrs Gandhi (1971-76) and the recommencement of these efforts after she returned to prime ministership in 1980. Keeping the nuclear option open was merely for public consumption: All along, the programme was intended to be a weapons programme. The Kargil panel has recorded the statements of President R Venkataraman, V S Arunachalam, former scientific adviser, B G Deshmukh, former cabinet secretary and principal secretary to the PM, Naresh Chandra, former cabinet secretary, former Prime Ministers V P Singh, Narasimha Rao and Inder Gujral, former scientific adviser APJ Kalam to establish that it was a weapons programme all along.

Chinese Bomb Design

The Kargil report brings out that Pakistan-China nuclear technology collaboration went ahead even as Indian Prime Minister Morarji Desai publicly abjured nuclear weapons and ran down the department of atomic energy. By early '80s intelligence was available that Pakistan was in a position to have two or three enriched uranium cores for bomb making, they had obtained the Chinese bomb design and had dug-up shafts in the Chagai mountains for nuclear testing. These developments are corroborated in the recently published Pakistani book Long Road to Chagai by Shabidur Rehman (Print-wise Publications, Islamabad, 1999), though he does not refer to the Chinese connection.

Further, in a joint article, Securing Nuclear Peace in News International (Oct 5, 1999) Agha Shahi, Abdul Sattar and Air Chief Marshal Zulfikar Ali Khan inform that the Pakistani nuclear weapons programme was initiated in January, 1972 when President Bhutto took that decision in the conference of nuclear scientists in Multan. It was not intended to deter an Indian nuclear capability which did not exist at that time but was meant to deter an Indian conventional superiority. That was why Pakistan continued the programme vigorously even when Morarji Desai publicly renounced Indian nuclear ambitions in 1978. In 1980, the Pakistanis linked their quest for nuclear weapons with their designs on Kashmir. Professor Stephen Cohen recorded in a paper presented to the Asian Studies Conference in March 1980, the Pakistanis were of the view that their nuclear capability would ``neutralise an assumed Indian nuclear force''. Others point out, however, that it was meant to provide the umbrella under which Pakistan could reopen the Kashmir issue; a Pakistani nuclear capability paralyses not only the Indian nuclear decision, but also Indian conventional forces

and a bold Pakistani strike to liberate Kashmir might go unchallenged if the Indian leadership was ``weak or indecisive''. Presumably this assessment formulated twenty years ago motivated Nawaz Sharif and General Musharraf to try out the Kargil adventure in 1999.

Unacceptable Damage

In their article of October 5, 1999, Abdul Sattar and others argue that the value of the Pakistani nuclear capability was illustrated at least on three occasions, mid-1980s (1984), 1987 and 1990. They disclose that the Pakistan government threatened to retaliate in 1984 with ``all the means at their disposal'', though the use of nuclear weapons was neither specifically mentioned nor excluded. According to the Kargil report, in 1987, Pakistani minister Zain Noorani asked the Indian ambassador S K Singh to convey a message to his government that if it took any action not conducive to Pakistan's sovereignty and territorial integrity then Pakistan was ``capable of inflicting unacceptable damage on it (India)''. The 1990 crisis followed the launch of the Pakistani proxy war in Kashmir and led to the Gates Mission. Though Gates never mentioned the nuclear factor to any Indian political leader or official, Sattar regards that as a nuclear preventive diplomacy. Literature in the US contain references to warnings issued by the US to Pakistan at that time.

Chengappa argues in his book that Indian weapons development lagged behind Pakistan by a few years. According to this view it would appear that contrary to popular folklore, the Indian nuclear weapons programme trailed behind Pakistan in the 1980s and that during this period the Pakistanis conveyed nuclear threats to India. This country caught up with and overtook Pakistan only during the period Narasimha Rao was Prime Minister.

Consensus among PMs

All these disclosures explode the myths about Pakistan responding to the Indian programme and about Indian leaders keeping the option open. The Kargil report has suggested that the government should bring out a white paper on the nuclear issue to promote better understanding of the issue. The Kargil report traces the China-Pakistan nuclear proliferation relationship and the US connivance in that to the eighties; the US needed Pakistan's help to sustain the mujahideen war against the Soviet Union. Indian Prime Ministers Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi were fully aware of this and, therefore, pursued a nuclear weapon and missile programme to deter Pakistan which was armed by China. The other Prime Ministers followed suit. Therefore, the Indian nuclear weapons programme had an overwhelming consensus among all Prime Ministers, irrespective of party affiliations. The conduct of the Shakti tests was the culmination of the efforts of as many as seven Prime Ministers, though the credit for the tests and withstanding successfully the international pressure over the last two years goes to the BJP.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

A reaction from the INC.

Manish Tiwari

India, Pak & the nuclear threat
Coming back to the present, what does Pakistan’s policy of full spectrum deterrence mean for the stability of South Asia and, more specifically, the security of India? To start with, the development of battlefield-level nuclear weapons and their intermixing with conventional weapons raises the risk of nuclear war, overextended command and control systems leading to oversight, the possibility of a nuclear weapons falling into terrorist hands and the spectre of foolish adventurism by an overzealous combat commander increases exponentially.
It, therefore, is in India’s interest to work multilaterally with other global powers to eliminate battlefield nuclear weapons. Its continuance, rather than preventing conflict, is the perfect recipe for a nuclear Armageddon.

Specifically, how must India deal with Shaheen-III and other such capabilities that threaten to counteract India’s massive retaliation philosophy? Should India seriously consider revisiting its “no first use” policy given the ominous developments in the neighbourhood? What would be its implication qua China that has a similar no first use principle? India’s nuclear deterrent is both a hedge against China as well as Pakistan and the Indian nuclear military programme was a response to Chinese tests at Lop Nur commencing on October 16, 1964.

The other option is to engage bilaterally with the Pakistanis on nuclear issues. Would that be interpreted as a sign of weakness on the part of India or an acknowledgement of a reality that has to be managed? At the height of the Cold War, there was a regular interaction between the strategic force commanders of the United States and the erstwhile USSR. Notwithstanding the “mutually assured destruction” doctrine, missile-flying time between the two Cold War adversaries provided a sliver of space to ascertain a launch and interdict it.

However, the deployment of Soviet missiles in Cuba stood the mutually assured destruction doctrine on its head because Cuba is a mere 90 miles from American mainland. If one reviews the literature of the Cuban missile crisis in October 1962, when the US and the USSR were a heartbeat away from a nuclear exchange, what is alarming are the number of dangerous moments catalogued in those 13 days. They range from Soviet submarine commanders calibrating a nuclear torpedo for battle readiness to American pilots possessing the ability to drop their thermo-nuclear weapons without seeking a green signal from the ground. The reason why this predicament is germane to India and Pakistan is not only because we are immediate neighbours, but because missile flying time may be three minutes or less.

It, therefore, is important that despite the “off and on talks” between India and Pakistan there must be a full spectrum uninterrupted dialogue on nuclear issues between the two. Confidence building measures with regard to the efficacy of command and control systems is an inexorable imperative. The margin of error is non-existent to prevent a nuclear apocalypse.

The writer is a lawyer and a former Union minister. The views expressed are personal. Twitter handle @manishtewari
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

Now we know why the Pakis were so happy to see these INC jackasses in power, reading this bilge from Manish Tiwari -- these INC jokers were giving paki H&D a severe polishing by actually refusing to ignore them and treating them only as India's problem, exactly how the US and Pakistan and its four fathers want it to be.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Lt. Gen Prakash Katoch on the topic.
Game of Nukes
Let us now talk of the Pakistan envisaged conventional India-Pakistan war where Pakistan says her TNWs will deter escalation. To start with, the US had suggested to Pakistan years back to go in for a no-war pact with India, which Pakistan declined. China didn’t want Pakistan to fight a conventional war with India either because when Zhou-en-Lai visited Pakistan in early 1960’s, he advised Pakistan to prepare for prolonged war (Mao style) with India and raise a militia to fight in the enemy’s (India’s) backyard – a suggestion that Pakistan lapped up. That’s how Pakistan has been waging proxy war against India past three decades plus, global concern about this most succinctly described by Ashley J Tellis in 2012, saying, “India being continuously subjected to terror actually suits many … India is a sponge that absorbs global terror.” The underlying need of the Pakistani military is to continue proxy wars with India and Afghanistan to retain stranglehold on Pakistan and continue consolidating power and money, which apparently suits the US administration also.

But how many TNWs does Pakistan need to deploy to deter India’s Cold Start doctrine? Surely, their employment is envisaged not in mountains but in the plains sector only. So how many TNWs does Pakistan need to bludgeon the six odd prongs of the three Strike Corps of India? Why the feverish pitch to multiply the numbers? And why is the West buying this nonsensical concept being put forward by Pakistan and Kidwai’s hallucination that Indian riposte will come ex Andaman Nicobar Islands? Isn’t it most stupid to think India will not react to TNWs, in complete contrast to what is indicated in India’s nuclear doctrine – a second strike against nuclear attack (read irrespective at any level). The Pakistan Army is not stupid to fire a nuke against India knowing the consequences they will face and India understands Pakistan’s bluff. Both armies do not exercise for nuclear war. The nuclear bogey suits the West to play up the issue though no country has ever used nukes aside from the US (that too twice) even at the height of the Cold War.

ISI generated proxies have been and are still of strategic use to CIA, killing of Osama-bin-Laden notwithstanding. These will be used to advantage now in Afghanistan where the new Great Game is unfolding already.

So what exactly is Pakistan up to? But first, we must what is the backdrop to all this. First, the US administration looked the other way when China proliferated nuclear technology to Pakistan because of the US-Saudi Arabia relationship and the latter encouraging Pakistan to develop the Sunni bomb. The fact remains that US attitude towards Pakistan is heavily influenced by Saudi Arabia because of which nuclear proliferation by Pakistan to other countries (Iran as per Western media) was taken lightly. Though this nuclear proliferation was engineered by Pervez Musharraf (to Iran as per Western media)through AQ Khan, even AQ Khan was never questioned by the West and is a state gues in Pakistan.

Second, ISI generated proxies have been and are still of strategic use to CIA, killing of Osama-bin-Laden notwithstanding. These will be used to advantage now in Afghanistan where the new Great Game is unfolding already.

Third, in their book ‘Nuclear Express’, Thomas C Reed and Danny B Stillman (former was Secretary of USAF and latter Director of Los Alamos Technical Intelligence Division) have stated that during the regime of Deng Xiaoping, the Chinese were of the view that use of a nuclear weapons against the West by radical and rogue countries would be good for China provided the trail is not traced back to China, hence covert nuclearization of Pakistan and North Korea.

Pakistan has successfully been running with the hares and hunting with the hounds. The irony was reflected in when Michael Hughes, geopolitical journalist stated on 06 July, 2010 with respect to US war in Afghanistan, “Nine years, nearly $300 billion dollars and 1900 dead coalition soldiers later, the US has officially verified that the entire war effort has been focused on the wrong side of the mountains.” Yet the US led coalitions, Saudi Arabia as well as China have use for ISI linked and generated proxies. Saudi Arabia funds 16 Pakistani Divisions, of which 8 rotate in Saudi Arabia. With the Arab League raising a 40,000 strong standing force, Pakistan’s value will go up further both in terms of conventional and sub-conventional.

Pakistan does not foresee nuclear war with India. Neither will she allow TNWs to fall in radical hands. Instead they may be ‘given’ to countries for a price…Pakistan does not foresee nuclear war with India. Neither will she allow TNWs to fall in radical hands. Instead they may be ‘given’ to countries for a price as to terrorist groups for selective use without the trace getting back to Pakistan. If chemical weapons have been used and supplied to rebels in Syria by mercenary organizations, can the next level be TNWs that have limited fallout; admittedly drastic step but Pakistan may see that as a strategic ace with none to question her thereafter. Where could they be used, South Asia, South East Asia, Middle East, Iran, US, EU – you name it. Warped thinking but isn’t Pakistan’s rapid multiplication of TNWs on pretext of India’s Cold War doctrine a warped concept in the first place, especially when Kidwai says that India has already been forced to rethink the said doctrine? Why go on multiplying if there are no hidden objectives?

The West needs to think about the above. Then is the issue possible accident of TNWs, particularly at sea. Will that not trigger escalation? The bottom-line remains that while Pakistan has continued to tread on the path of terrorism, her TNWs are adding a more dangerous dimension to it under the protective cover of the US administration and Saudi Arabia. Lastly, when Sartaj Aziz, Nawaz Shariff’s national security advisor officially states that Pakistan should not target those terrorist groups who are not targeting Pakistan and 42 terrorist camps are running full steam in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir, isn’t the Obama administration naïve not to see the futility of asking for bilateral India-Pakistan engagement?
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Saurav Jha @SJha1618 · 38m 38 minutes ago

One way to read the latest US Viper-Hellfire sale to Pakistan is that regardless of Kidwai's bluster, the Hatf-9 Nasr doesn't cut it.
I will put it differently. Nukes and Nasr does not reduce the need for more conventional weapons. Question is why?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

You need to keep the threshold high for nuke use. Right now the declared TSP postures is if they have loose motions or get constipated they will launch their nukes.

ShauryaT, A request. Please include name of the writer in articles you post.

The Manish Tiwari article is nonsense for there is no such thing a battlefield nuke weapon. Just a question of low vs. high yield weapon.
And represents muddled thinking for Indian doctrine is for massive retaliation only. So its a slippery slope the idiot is advocating. But then Congress was always muddled in its thinking right from the Nehru with his Hamletian dilemma.

Meanwhile Aussies are letting trial balloons using desi willing tools:
A_Gupta wrote:Can India be coaxed to sign the CTBT?
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/201 ... t-signing/

Written by Ramesh Thakur and John Carlson specially for the Japan Times.
Ramesh Thakur is director of, and John Carlson is a consultant to, the Center for Nuclear Non-Proliferation and Disarmament, Crawford School of Public Policy, Australian National University.
India’s unilateral moratorium on nuclear testing notwithstanding, its continued refusal to engage in the CTBT leads many to wonder whether New Delhi is keeping open the option of resuming testing. India can demonstrate that it really is “like-minded” and ready to assume the responsibilities of a leading nuclear country by permitting the installation of the four outstanding monitoring stations.

Of course, India could go further still, honor the Nehru legacy and resume its leadership role in nuclear disarmament by signing the CTBT and join China and the U.S. as signatory states yet to ratify. This will put pressure on Pakistan to sign, leaving North Korea as the only non-signatory from the 44 countries whose ratifications are required for entry into force. It will also reassure those who are concerned that when the U.S. is finally able to ratify, India will swiftly follow suit.

Does the Modi government have the policy smarts to say yes to advice that, through a unilateral policy realignment, would distance India from Pakistan and North Korea, and give it the same status as China and the U.S.?
Methinks this is a Japanese diplomatic feeler.

NO to Shitty -Bitty. The whole treaty was against India.
Signing it would mean acceptance of such odious treaty.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Believe it or not - the following piece is by Seema Sirohi and I loved it
Pakistan does a North Korea, openly brandishes its nuclear weapons
At the recent Carnegie Conference on Nuclear Policy, Pakistan openly brandished its nuclear weapons, advertised its bellicose intentions and generally sounded more like North Korea than a maturing nuclear power.

The full-throated cry of frustration had a purpose—to put hurdles in the way of India’s entry into the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) because it would be yet another sign that the international community accepts India’s nuclear programme for special treatment but not Pakistan’s.

Gen. Khalid Kidwai, who has overseen Pakistan’s nuclear programme for more than 15 years and is still involved as an adviser, was in full flow, spinning scenarios and issuing warnings to India from what is arguably the most prestigious international platform on matters nuclear. You have the eyes and the ears of hundreds of western experts, government officials and budding scholars. In short, it is the best place, especially for countries with a highly questionable nuclear past, to muddy the waters and raise straw men. And he did both.

Kidwai faced no push back from the moderator as he built his case on what was essentially fiction. He said “Cold Start” was the reason for a Pakistan gone wild and for piling up an arsenal of tactical nuclear weapons (TNWs). Pakistan has also developed “full-spectrum deterrence” and is working towards a second-strike capability to counter India, he helpfully informed the audience.

Frankly, he should have been stopped in his tracks because “Cold Start” is not Indian policy. The political leadership never embraced it and the last one heard the Indian armed forces were firmly under the command of the elected government. Cold Start was an “idea” of a quick and limited conventional strike against Pakistan with the narrow aim to deny Islamabad the ability to raise things to a nuclear level. Indian generals, frustrated after the army’s mobilisation on the border in response to the ISI-supported Lashkar-e-Taiba’s attack on the Indian Parliament in 2002, had floated the idea but it was never adopted.

A principal recommendation of Cold Start was to move the Indian Army closer to the border. This never happened. The fact is whatever India does or doesn’t do, the Pakistani army will conjure up clouds of paranoia to justify its strategy. It is this imagination that is behind Pakistan’s rush to build TNWs. Tactical nukes are deemed highly destabilising because they are small and to be effective on the battlefield, they must be distributed to lower-level officers. The more diffused the command and control, the more likelihood of mistakes and escalation in the fog of war. The mechanics of deploying TNWs are tricky at best but Kidwai dismissed questions on command and control as “lesser issues.” Then he added Pakistan’s nuclear policy is one of “ambiguity.”

The nuclear gurus must ponder if “ambiguity” gives them confidence or bolsters “transparency” or marks an improvement from the days of AQ Khan when Pakistan was found proliferating nuclear technology from Libya to Iran.

Yet, Kidwai kept up the charade that Pakistan is the victim. In fact, he argued his TNWs had made “war less likely” because they would make India “think twice, ten times” before attacking Pakistan. If India still doesn’t get scared, “MAD (mutually assured destruction) will come into play.” He boastfully told India to keep in mind Pakistan’s “complete inventory.”

If it weren’t the Carnegie nuclear conference, one might be forgiven for thinking Kidwai was doing what today’s teenagers call “drama.” The climax of the drama: You gave India a nuclear deal but now don’t allow India to enter the Nuclear Suppliers Group — the anticipated next step stemming from the 2008 Indo-US agreement— or Pakistan will go madder.

Blackmail? It sure sounded like it. Kidwai wants India’s entry into the NSG to be “criteria-based” because that would allow Pakistan to enter at some later date if it meets those criteria. It shouldn’t be a special favour for India. This demand is nothing but a giant ruse.

It is designed to tickle and press into service the same non-proliferation hardliners in the United States and Europe who initially opposed the India-US nuclear deal. They still have grievances against India and putting hurdles in India’s path to NSG membership has their attention.

But let’s go along and see how a “criteria-based” approach might develop. Here are some questions: Keeping in mind Pakistan’s record of proliferating nuclear technology to the likes to North Korea just a decade ago, what should be the period of punishment? Or should bad behaviour be incentivised?

Is outwards proliferation the same as inwards proliferation? Is bravado as displayed by Kidwai the same as transparency? Western observers tend to confuse braggadocio with facts without a shred of verification. Do statements like Kidwai’s help build strategic stability?

How about a criterion that no one with a jihadist mindset should ever get close to nuclear weapons? How can this ever be ascertained? Sorry, but Kidwai’s word is no good after insider attacks on Pakistan’s naval base and army headquarters. US experts are well aware of the penetration of Pakistan’s armed forces.

Another criterion could be determining the “motive” to enter the NSG. Is it prestige and parity as in Pakistan’s case or accessing technology as in India’s case? How about a criterion on the end-game: the country in question must give up revisionist tendencies.

And while the experts are at it, they can also examine the dangers of a country conducting terrorist attacks under a nuclear umbrella. That should certainly mean “No Admission” or shouldn’t it?
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

^I saw that article in my search but dread going to the times site. It is a good one.

ramana: Will do.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Three points
- The credibility of Carnegie Conference on Nuclear Policy where lunatics like Kidwai can rant and rave is there for all to see. Either they lack the gumption to call out his lies or they want him to peddle his lies as a proxy.
- Already the Aussie have floated criteria based entry. The Ramesh Thakur et al article is part of that.
- Idiots like Shekhar Gupta who promote lies of Army coup to please their Congress party bosses and stoke fears are doing a great disservice and should be called out.

Bonus Point The Congress party has showed its hand with the Manish Tiwari nonsense article.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Challenges to India's Nuclear Doctrine - Retired Indian Vice Admiral Vijay Shankar - Oct. 6, 2014.
{Very Informative. Must watch. Answers a lot of questions} - Watch the answer @ 1 hr 12 min

The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory's Center for Global Security Research (CGSR) sponsored this talk entitled “A Covenant Sans Sword: Challenges to India's Nuclear Doctrine” by Retired Indian Vice Admiral Vijay Shankar on Oct. 6, 2014.
Vice Admiral (Retd.) Vijay Shankar PVSM, AVSM is the former commander-in-chief of the Andaman & Nicobar Command, commander-in-chief of the Strategic Forces Command, and flag officer commanding the Western Fleet. He retired on September 30, 2009, after nearly forty-five years in uniform, and today passes down his operational and strategic experience through articles and participation in seminars, and lecturing at various universities. The Admiral is an adjunct faculty at the National Institute of Advanced Studies where his papers have been the prime mover for several seminars and workshops; a distinguished fellow and columnist at the Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies New Delhi; a member of the Forum for Strategic Initiative New Delhi; and the Admiral Katari Chair of Excellence at the United Services Institute India. Internationally, his active participation in dialogues represents a commitment to provide a new paradigm for maritime and nuclear security on the sub-continent. He holds an MSc in Defense Studies and is a graduate of the Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island, USA, Naval Higher Command College and the Defense Services Staff College India.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Pakistan: Living With Nuclear Weapons (Seems to be from before Indian elections)
- Delivered at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory's Center for Global Security Research (CGSR)

Published on 19 Aug 2014

Feroz Khan of the Department of National Security Affairs at the Naval Post Graduate School and Monsoor Ahmed, lecturer in the Department of Defense and Strategic Studies at Quaid-i-Azam University, deliver the lecture "Pakistan: Living with nuclear weapons" at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory's Center for Global Security Research (CGSR).
@ 16:00 Feroz Khan (Seems ex-SDP) says >> Indians don't give a damn to Tactical NW at Track II level! They are gonna go with their operational plans and if necessary they are gonna take it out! I hear that all the time.

@ 28:30 Monsoor Ahmed >> What choice does Bakistan have? ... I believe that TNWs are for symbolic deterrence purposes. .... this would add another layer of deterrence because of Indian cold start doctrine the counter value weapons were seen as ineffective. They had failed to deter the Indian of coming up with a strategy of proactive operations or limited war.
Last edited by pankajs on 23 Apr 2015 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

You're the man Pankaj. Great stuff!
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

North Korea may have DOUBLE the number of nuclear weapons previously believed, say Chinese military experts
  • Pariah state may have 20 warheads not 10 as previous US forecasts held
    Stockpile of weapons could grow to 50 or even 100 within next five years
    US military believes secretive country has ability to miniaturise warhead and mount it on ballistic missile, though there have been no such tests yet
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Guy seems to be quite articulate and says things what Western Strategic Analyst want to hear without sounding alarmist to them. No wonder he managed to stay in his post for 15 years what he says he must have said the same thing to all West Generals and Intelligence agency.

The Shaheen 3 missile attacking A&N would spend a significant part of its trajectory passing over indian landscape , need to work on mid course intercept as part of our ABM system
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Austin: I can only imagine why no one in the audience was alarmed and it is these acts that makes one question the value systems of the west.

Anyways, more reactions to the Kidwai blusters.

Tactical or strategic: all nuclear weapons are political by nature by Pranay Kotasthane and Rohan Joshi
In summary, tactical or strategic—any kind of nuclear weapon is a political weapon. Its success lies in it being able to achieve political objectives without the need ever arising to detonate it. Even Khalid Kidwai’s exposition of Pakistan’s nuclear capability at a conference in US was meant to serve the same purpose—as a political tool aimed at decision makers in the US to dissuade them from closer rapprochement with India on all things nuclear (NSG membership, nuclear deal, etc) or to foster favourable discussions on ballistic missile defense systems.

As long as it is understood that nuclear weapons are political and not meant for actual war fighting, India is in a position to manage the nuclear threat from Pakistan.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

So the Chinese pump up the NoKo boogeyman with cooked up numbers for nukes, and the Americans do so for the Pakis, and neither of them seem to be afraid much of these nukes pointing in their direction...is that stupidity, hubris, or nuke-nudeness of NoKo/Pakistan?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ShauryaT wrote:Austin: I can only imagine why no one in the audience was alarmed and it is these acts that makes one question the value systems of the west.

Anyways, more reactions to the Kidwai blusters.

Tactical or strategic: all nuclear weapons are political by nature by Pranay Kotasthane and Rohan Joshi
In summary, tactical or strategic—any kind of nuclear weapon is a political weapon. Its success lies in it being able to achieve political objectives without the need ever arising to detonate it. Even Khalid Kidwai’s exposition of Pakistan’s nuclear capability at a conference in US was meant to serve the same purpose—as a political tool aimed at decision makers in the US to dissuade them from closer rapprochement with India on all things nuclear (NSG membership, nuclear deal, etc) or to foster favourable discussions on ballistic missile defense systems.

As long as it is understood that nuclear weapons are political and not meant for actual war fighting, India is in a position to manage the nuclear threat from Pakistan.

We know that. You know that but TSP doesn't.
So you have to behave as if you will fight when the chips are down.
Otherwise deterrence is illusory.

KS Sunderji had beautiful article in the early 90s on the subject.

And recall TSP reacted only to Shyam Saran's massive retaliation speech only.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

^^^^ +1