26/11/2008: Never Forget. Never Forgive

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Re: 26/11/2008: Never Forget. Never Forgive

Post by Muppalla »

I used sentences from this thread for today's tweets.
member_22872
BRFite

Post by member_22872 »

I think of those small kids who lost their parents on this day in 2008 to the terrorists from TSP. I cannot forget Paki terrorists laughing and patting each other backs when innocents were being killed. My homage to the departed Indians who died this day.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

Once again the anniversary comes up. And we wait. Sometimes it seems that we will never see justice. But then I tell myself that we should not give up. Its important to remember.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Mukesh.Kumar wrote:Once again the anniversary comes up. And we wait. Sometimes it seems that we will never see justice. But then I tell myself that we should not give up. Its important to remember.
A significant % of the population and prominent Media believe that the 2nd team to follow 26/11 on 1/1/5 were poor Fishermen, well if they were fishermen, the 26/11 was an imagination. Well even the FM of Pakistan when 26/11 happened who probably knew of the plan and gave diplomatic cover to the planners after the event came to to Mumbai and preached "TOLERENCE" in Mumbai recently while people opposing him were declared "INTOLERANT".

We have soo many termites in this nation, this needs 10-15 years of proper Govt at the top to fix. while many in thee nation are still stuck supporting Lalu.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Wounds that fail to heal - Alok Deshpande, The Hindu
Damayanti Gohil, in her late 60s, has mixed emotions for Nariman House which stands opposite her one-storey residence. Her son Harish died on November 26, 2008 after terrorists who had entered in the building fired random gunshots.

“Sometimes I wish this building was not here,” she said, pointing at it. “He was my support. Even after eight years, I stare at that very spot where he was shot. What was his fault,” she said with tears.

Harish, a third year graduation student from Wilson College was sitting with his friends watching the India-England cricket match. Burst of crackers diverted their attention, only to realise those were gunshots. “They all ran to see what happened. Realising the danger, he retreated and was standing on the footpath outside our residence with an eye on Nariman House. Suddenly a bullet was fired from the building and it hit his chest,” Ms. Gohil said.

Harish’s father died when he was only four months old
. The government, as a part of procedure, handed over a cheque for Rs.5 lakh. “I have lost my crores, my support. Does this compensation really matter?” she said.

Santosh Veer is also one of the victims of the terror attack on Mumbai.

“A grenade was thrown from the Nariman House, which exploded in front of us,” he told The Hindu . He tried to duck like it is shown in films, he remembers. “But that was reality and in a second I realised that my leg was hurt,” he said. Mr. Veer was rushed to the hospital as it started bleeding profusely. “Such kind of terror act was unheard-of and I pray to god that no one suffers like Mumbai did,” he said.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

How I wish that the Phantom storyline comes true!!!

Desh ke veeron ko, desh ki sewa mein veergati praapt karne waalon ko Shat shat naman
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

Never forget never forgive.
ashvin
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ashvin »

Never forgive and never forget!
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ And for some reason, this date chosen by BCCI to announce a Indo-TSP cricket series?

Pathetic! :x :x
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

sum wrote:^^ And for some reason, this date chosen by BCCI to announce a Indo-TSP cricket series?

Pathetic! :x :x
Cricket series with people responsible for 26/11 cleared on 26/11. This is too much. Why just blame BCCI? Who gave the permission? Blame Govt.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

It seems Govt hasn't yet officially announced anything. Rajiv Shukla has blabbered something. Let's wait and watch.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Not in this Life shall I ever Forget or Forgive Islamic terrorism for 26/11. That was the day I became Communal Hindu for life. Never a WKK again
member_28533
BRFite

Post by member_28533 »

Seems to be long time coming.

Selling self-respect for Money - typical Dhimmi attitude.

Afterall, "development" must be pursued at all costs - even that of self respect.

========
http://www.thestatesman.com/news/opinio ... 04639.html
========

(posting in full)

That Indian cricket fans should be paying for terrorist attacks against India looms as one of the most strangely ignored or forgotten aspects in the ongoing hectic and covert efforts from the Board of Control for Cricket (BCCI) to resume cricketing ties with Pakistan.

The proposed series was supposedly to take place in December, a few days after the seventh anniversary of the 26/11 terrorist strikes in Mumbai. It does not seem to matter for the BCCI that the perpetrators continue receiving state protection in Pakistan.

Neither does it seem to matter for BCCI boss Shashank Manohar that the Indian government has often accused Pakistan of being a state sponsor of terrorism. Whether terrorists strike in Mumbai or Paris, lives lost in terrorist attacks are merely ‘politics’ apparently for Manohar; and cricket, or more accurately the money earned from it, is the more important thing in the world for the BCCI.

But the deadly problem is with this cricket money churning dirty money. It’s long known and publicized in international media that illegal cricket betting, if not match fixing, hits highs of hundreds of millions of dollars in any India versus Pakistan cricket match anywhere in the world. Large chunks of this cricket betting loot falls into hands of criminal syndicates such as those headed by Interpol-wanted crime boss Dawood Ibrahim, according to reports in public domain.

Media reports on November 16 revealed BCCI chief Manohar’s ‘closed door’ dealings with Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) counterpart Shahriyar Khan, with the BCCI hoping to make a few hundred more crore rupees in the most profitable bilateral series in the cricketing world.

Even as Shahriyar Khan of PCB uses a peculiar mixture of bluster, threats, protests and pleas in his desperate push for a lucrative cricket series versus India in December, the lethal aspect of sub-continental cricketing links to terrorist funding has been remarkably sidelined in both countries.

Terrorists cast a more sinister shadow than the general reckoning of bilateral ties having crashed due to Pakistan shielding those involved in the 26th November 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai. The nexus between South Asian cricket betting mafias and terrorist groups have been exposed alongside betting scandals, such as the 2010 criminal conviction and prison sentences against former Pakistan cricket captain Salman Butt, his team mates Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir.

Dawood Ibrahim, accused as masterminding the 1993 serial bomb blasts in Mumbai, has top level cricket links in Pakistan. His daughter Mahrukh is married to Junaid Miandad, son of former Pakistan cricket captain and ex PCB director general Javed Miandad. Ibrahim and his criminal syndicate ‘D Company’ have been subjected to US sanctions since 16 January 2005.

“The United States is targeting D Company, a violent organization notorious for its drug trafficking activities and terrorism,” announced Adam J. Szubin, Director of the Office of Foreign Assets Control. “Combating transnational organized crime is a top U.S. priority, and we will continue to expose the activities of D Company and the underpinnings of criminal financial networks worldwide.”

This alleged Dawood network in sub-continental cricket compelled my accurate guess that soon after the election of its new president, the BCCI would change its recent unusually firm stance against resuming cricketing ties against Pakistan until it gives up sponsoring terrorism. A certain BCCI boss has close ties to a particular politician whose ‘links’ need to be put under close scrutiny by the government of India and security agencies.

Sure enough, the new BCCI president promptly invited PCB boss Shahryar Khan to Mumbai for ‘talks’. Media reports on November 16 revealed that Shashank Manohar had asked in a ‘closed door’ process if the PCB is willing to play in India. Terrorist groups receiving a share of thousands of crores of illegal cricket betting money will be wishing him all success.

A day earlier on November 15, India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi told the BRICs meeting in Turkey of the urgent global need to cut off funding for terrorists. This focus should include the BCCI. Money laundering, crime syndicates, over US$ 500 million in illegal cricket betting, terrorism all find a common meeting point in Dawood Ibrahim’s ‘D Company’ and his known keen interest in cricket.

In July earlier this year, a Special Investigation Team (SIT) appointed by India’s Supreme Court to probe money laundering also urged the government to formulate laws against cricket betting.

“Involvement of huge illegal, unaccounted money in cricket betting has been noticed by the Enforcement Directorate, where betting is being done over the Internet or using electronic gadgets,” the SIT report said.

Even without illegal cricket betting, big money rules any India versus Pakistan cricket series – with huge stakes for the BCCI, PCB, official broadcasters, media companies and cricket websites that earn millions from premium advertising rates.

Not surprisingly, sections of the Indian media propagate this remarkable myth that a cricket series is somehow going to inspire terrorists to give up their murderous hatred for fellow humans, and a terrorism sponsoring country to stop hosting terrorist training camps.

On the contrary, the only evidence we have seen so far is that any cricket series with Pakistan that sends out the ‘normalization’ signal only leads to the next terrorist attack in India.

Business as usual with Pakistan seems bizarre and contradictory after only this September, in response to Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s speech at the United Nations, India’s UN representative Abhishek Singh called Pakistan a state sponsor of terrorism: “The heart of the matter is a state that regards the use of terrorism as a legitimate instrument of statecraft. The world watches with concern as its consequences have spread beyond its immediate neighborhood.”

Amid such concerns, faking normalcy with cultural and sporting ties has not stopped cross-border terrorist attacks, or even cross-border firing from Pakistan that terrorizes thousands of Indian villagers near the border. We shrug our shoulders at all these lives lost and play cricket with the country behind the perpetual outrages? Should the French government organize football matches with the ISIS as part of a ‘peace process’? Insincerity obviously renders meaningless attempts at honest dialogue needed between India and Pakistan to resolve disputes. For this, it needs to be made clear that the responsibility for genuinely meaningful peace talks rests completely with Pakistan - after that country shuts down terrorist camps within its borders.

PCB chief Shahriyar himself saw reality a year ago in September 2014, when he admitted to the media in Karachi, “as far as its repercussions on bilateral (cricket) series is concerned I think these ties will remain affected until there is a closure of the Mumbai attack case in Pakistan.”

Without this closure as a basic for sincere dialogue – starting with shutting down Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist camps - a cricket series between Indian and Pakistan is engineered more by lure of multi-million dollar profits serving vested interests both sides of the border.

An India-Pakistan cricket series may not please families of dead victims of the 26/11 terrorist attacks in Mumbai, but it definitely promises a few hundred more crores of rupees to this greedy multi-billion dollar, non-transparent commercial enterprise called the BCCI, a desperately-funds starved Pakistan Cricket Board, terrorist financiers and a certain Dawood Ibrahim’s money launderers.

The writer is a senior, Mumbai-based journalist.
member_29247
BRFite

Post by member_29247 »

Ok chalo make betting legal and tax the BCCI as commercial venture like IPL.

Any Way IPL is betting racket completely revealed in recent times.

The simple fact is irrespective which party rules everybody wants to dip their chips in this Picante salsa

So no shock or surprise in the cricketing ties...

The ministers and elite of the society wants the subjects to be honest and obey the law and protect them while they can wheel and deal with the enemy.

This is not going to change much and may get even worse with prestitues rooting at the behest of uncles and aunties...
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

9/11,26/11,13/11.The world weeps for the victims.However,when it comes to the victims of 26/11,only India and the Israelis truly wept for their martyrs.The US showed absolute chicanery and support for the attacks by refusing to hand over Headley to us.Let us never also forget that!

India should "sanction" Pak in the same way that Putin and Russia are doing.Every day terror strikes J&K We just had a Col. martyred,but what are we doing? Cretins and appeasers of Paki terror want us to play "ball" (ckt.) with them! How in the world can India play cricket with Pak,the game of "gentlemen",when Pak doe snot play with a straight bat? Pak should be sent to proverbial "Coventry".Treated like a leper colony by India. The contagion must not spread into India.No contact whatsoever.Let it fester and rot within itself.Let Pakis kill Pakis,they enjoy doing so and let their vile entity ,a rogue state devour itself and ultimately disappear into history's dustbin!
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

BRao
BRFite

Post by BRao »

While justice must be meted out to the Pakistanis in a fashion that makes death herself cower in fear. We must also look at equipping our armed forces. Not sure if much progress has happened in that regard. Watching Hemant Karkare wearing a ramshackle BPJ and Mumbai constables going after AK-47 wielding terrorists with a lathi or .303 was heart wrenching. Must take a cue from the US police forces, if we get even 10% of the gear they have, our policemen will be decently protected.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

0.303 would have been fine, if each Police constable atleast fired 100 Bullets a year in the Training range aa year, in our most Policemen have never fired their riffle and are not trained to use their forearms when under fire.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

A heartening news:

The NSG team member who got wounded by a grenade burst at Hotel Oberoi, Shree PV Maneesh of Kannur, did his Sabarimala pilgrimage climb this year too, flanked by a grateful public and aided by his elite brothers-in-arms. One of those rare occasions that one feels it is justified, when the temple officials and its priests help a VIP to jump the long queue!

He seem to be recovering slowly and he is hoping to do the next climb without support

Looking forward to seeing this brave son of India, doing the full climb on his own. And kudos to the local channel, who informs us of his progress
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Here is a documentary I had on my HDD that I uploaded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YSeALB1RzI
Ashok Sarraff
BRFite

Post by Ashok Sarraff »

Interesting development:

David Coleman Headley tells court: Ready to turn approver if given pardon in 26/11 case

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 126171.cms
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

And Court pardons Headley.

He must have read the tea leaves when India asked to interrogate his Moroccan wife hanging out in Morocco.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

ramana wrote:And Court pardons Headley.

He must have read the tea leaves when India asked to interrogate his Moroccan wife hanging out in Morocco.
Wonder if this is connected with getting pakis to officially agree to expedite the 26/11 case at their end. Are they going to find one or two pakis, to be named by Headley and throw them under the bus, to get the dialogue going?

I'll believe it when I see it. These are pakis we are dealing with.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

The difference between Kasab's testimony and Headly's testimony will be that Kasab was a foot soldier, unaware of who the "Haji Saab" was who ordered him about, while this guy is a conspirator! Expect ISI and Pak Mil to be in the dock.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

>>> Per news sources in India - The conditions about Headley's pardon:

- The court said David Headley should disclose the "full and true facts" leading to 26/11 attacks; he should also reveal the role he and others played in the attacks.

- Headley should disclose the facts he has already admitted before the court in Illinois and reveal if any of the attackers were involved in other attacks in India, the court also said.

Accepting his role in the attacks, Headley, who is serving a 35-year jail term in the US for the 26/11 attacks, said, "I pleaded guilty in the past to the charges in the US and I admitted I was a participant in these charges... I appear here ready to answer questions regarding these events, if I receive a pardon from this court."

In December 2011, the National Investigation Agency had filed a charge-sheet accusing Headley, his Pakistani-Canadian accomplice Tahawwur Rana, Lashkar founder Hafiz Saeed and seven others of conspiracy. The charge carries death penalty.

Atul Kulkarni, senior police officer of Mumbai, told NDTV, "After weighing the pros and cons, we decided we will get more from him (Headley) by having him as an approver than as an accused considering his plea bargain agreement in the US. All the necessary people have been kept in the loop."

The police wants to question Headley regarding the involvement of Pakistan army and its Inter-Services Intelligence.

Earlier, during his questioning by officers of India's National Investigation agency, Headley allegedly said three senior Pakistan army officers played a prime role in the 26/11 attacks.

The same Pakistani officers were reportedly named by Lashkar terrorist Abu Jundal, the alleged mastermind of the 26/11 attacks, against whom charges were framed last month in Mumbai.

Pakistan has repeatedly rejected the charge that its army officers were involved in the attacks. It put seven men on trial, including Lashkar commander Zaki-ur-Rahman Lakhvi. The trial has been on for seven years, raising charges of tardiness from India. Earlier this year, Lakhvi was granted bail, creating fresh tension between Pakistan and India.

Headley was arrested in October 2009 from Chicago while on his way to Pakistan. In 2013, he was sentenced by a US court for his role in the 26/11 attacks. In his memoirs written from jail, he had detailed the 2009 attack from the planning stage.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

From the link above, no surprise that in Paki court ../disgust/ The next hearing in the case would be held on December 16.

where..
The witness earlier had also claimed that Kasab could be produced in court if needed.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

AmberG, Glad to saee you back.

Meanwhile...
sudeepj wrote:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 125617.cms
"MUMBAI: A local court on Thursday granted pardon to David Coleman Headley, one of the main accused in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks case, an accepted him as a prosecution witness.
The court agreed to Headley's plea to turn an approver in return for pardon while imposing certain conditions on him.
The sessions court has asked Headley to disclose all information that he had revealed earlier to the US court.
Headley had appeared before the sessions court here through a video link from an undisclosed location in the US."
The strategy appears to be, talk to some people, and hit some others.

I would also like to see who all in India helped Daoud Gilani.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Better title of the following Hindu story would have been: Ajit Doval & U.S. authorities are doing some really good things..

There is more than what meets the eye..

(Headley Issue) - US bowed to Indian pressure

Intense lobbying by National Security Adviser (NSA) Ajit Doval with the American authorities could have led David Coleman Headley, one of the main conspirators of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, to turn an approver in the case, a senior government official told The Hindu.

Apart from the case being probed by the Mumbai Police, where he has offered to become an approver, Headley is also an accused in the case being investigated by the National Investigation Agency (NIA).

When contacted, NIA chief Sharad Kumar told The Hindu, “As of now we have no plans to make Headley an approver in our case.” NIA is probing the larger conspiracy behind the case.

<snip>
When contacted Special Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam denied having met U.S authorities but added, “there are many aspects involving national security, which cannot be disclosed.” Mr. Nikam told The Hindu, “Headley becoming an approver is not the final word. I have put a condition that he ought to answer all the questions posed by us to become an approver.”

A senior official added that there still existed a possibility of Headley being made an accused during the course of the trial, if the prosecution was not convinced with his replies. NIA has already sent an extradition request to the U.S. in 2011 seeking Headley's custody. Former home secretary R.K Singh said, “This offer (to turn an approver) could not have come on his own; our agencies must have worked hard on it. The evidence provided by him could prove to be key against Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafeez Saeed, who is one of the main architects of 26/11 attacks.”
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

ramana wrote:AmberG, Glad to saee you back.
I would also like to see who all in India helped Daoud Gilani.
Let us see and wait but this is one of the main thing committee which is probing the lapses in 26/11 is also interested in.
Per Balachandran (an ex IPS officer who is/was part of that committee) said that the Indian prosecution team had no other option but to make him an approver and get more information.

BTW Gilani had written a memoir detailing his involvement with Lashkar-e-Taiba and the Mumbai attacks while he was in Jail in US .. (a movie soon to come..perhaps :evil: ) which does have a few interesting items..

BTW One of the things Gilani claimed was that Ishrat Jahan was a trained L-e-T suicide bomber (and not innocent girl evil Modi-police killed in a "Fake encounter" as claimed by some media)..

I don't think Gilani is EVER going to come out or the prison (in this life, at least)..but hope his testimony still has some use..
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

One more thing ...Tahawwur Rana was found not guilty for 26/11 in US trial. He is serving 14 years for his other conviction. With Headley's help, I think Rana's conviction in India will be easier... (IIRC India has charge sheeted Rana). 8)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

What a bunch of non-options. and the constant refrain of civilian casualties. All Pakis in terrorist camps are terrorists. What is civilian about them? Reasons for ruling out are not germane.

Only last one is correct.

And UPA went on overdrive to disarm Indian military with AK Anthony as the minister, to ensure even that is not considered by India.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

^^ you said it. first disarm and then present a list of (non) options and then have the service folks defend the status. classic misdirection.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

And I seriously, seriously doubt that we don't know the locations of the terror camps. Heck, we have intel down to the level of we have 36 jihadis left in the valley. We took out Sohrabuddin last week and sent flowers to his ammi in Lahore. There are 623 more jihadis waiting to infiltrate across LoC

Either statements like the one above which are made regularly, are bullshit (or) we DO know but the political leadership doesn't have the cojones to order the strike.

This is of course, not to absolve the Congress. They have done their best to castrate our intel capability too. Like the dismantling of TSD
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Its like VP Singh asked ACM Mehra "can you guarantee you can shoot down all incoming PAF F-16s carry a nuke?"

Similarly MMS might have asked the IAF" Can you guarantee there will be no civilian causalities if you attack a Pak terrorist camp!"

When Pak calls all their terrorists civilian non-state actors how can any one reply with a straight face?

What are civilians doing in a terrorist camp?
Either getting trained as terrorists or they are the terrorists!

Did US ask all these questions when the Pak Terrorist camps were cruise missiled?

The question is asked by politicians to CYA and not do anything.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the STFUP thread.

Member of the Nehru-Gandhi family led Congress Party, Shashi Tharoor ,on holding “uninterrupted and uninterruptible” talks with the Mohammadden Terrorist fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan:

"We can't have uninterrupted talks with Pakistan as Mani Shankar Aiyar suggests. If the military and ISI unleash Lashkar-e-Taiba in Mumbai and other cities, we should interrupt talks. We can't talk to people who cannot control their nationals," …………………. "Its surrendering our self-respect by saying we will talk to you even if your people are coming and killing us,"

Continuing talks with Pakistan while they attack us is surrendering our self-respect: Shashi Tharoor
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

On Nov 12 2008 Rahul Gandhi is seen blaming Malegon blasts on "Saffron terror".
After 2 weeks the siege of 26/11 begins in Mumbai.

https://twitter.com/Vande_Mataram/statu ... 7844276224