Managing Pakistan's failure

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Re: Managing Pakistan's failure

Post by RajeshA »

devesh wrote:I think part of the confusion is the thread's title itself. "Pakistan's Failure" is a very vague concept. "failure" in what sense? our "strategists" and "planners" might be giving themselves self congratulatory pats about the steady economic decline of Pak. they might believe that economic/financial bankruptcy is an evidence of "pakistan's failure". it undoubtedly is.
devesh ji,

the original name for the thread was "Pakistan-sponsored Terrorism - India's Options"! But then came the notion that one should explore all kinds of options to neutralize Pakistan - with strategies for the short-term, intermediate-term and long-term.

At the time of this thread's creation, Baitullah Mehsud was the batsman on the crease, and he was hitting centuries almost every second week. And Pakistan's situation was looking very precarious.

Under these circumstances and intent, "Managing Pakistan's failure" was a psyops name suggested by shiv saar!
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

actually come to think of it, I don't have any problem with the title. but even after 73 pages, we have yet to decide how to analyze this "failure". what constitutes failure, when it comes to Pakistan? or maybe, I just can't see it.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

shiv wrote:India simply will not do that.
Sure? We have after all been colonized. The republic has gone begging to the mighty USA first and then into the arms of the erstwhile USSR. Playing second fiddle seems to come quite naturally to us, it would seem. The independent posture almost seems pretentious save a few issues. I liked your post though.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Just an indication how cheap Sea routes are:

1. Cost per Liter to consumer for Crude transported by Sea ME to USA = 0.5 Cents.

2. Cost per Tone of Iron Ore Australia to Europe = 12 USD

3. Cost for 20 Ton Container transported by Sea Asia to Europe = Economy fair for Single passenger same journey.

Source:

http://www.marisec.org/shippingfacts/wo ... by-sea.php
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

devesh wrote:shiv,
you have yet to actually post some evidence that long distance trade by land is less expensive than naval transportation. you have a peculiar penchant for treating Islam as a puppy, sometimes with sarcasm, sometimes with feigned "anger"/"realism", but your belief that Islam/Pakistan is a fluffy little bunny comes out no matter what you try.
<snip>
all this talk of trade routes, Pakis with AK's guarding Indian transportation, etc is because of our blindfolds that we end up analyzing Pakistan from the profits/economic POV. Paki existence was never defined by that POV. this is a huge cognitive dissonance for us Indians. on one hand, we claim that Pak only exists to beat us, and on the other we insist on analyzing Pak with the profits/economic POV....
Devesh, you and others have asked for costs. Guess who is analysing from the profits/eco point of view? .

I think what is being lost in asking about costs and profitability of CAR and emotions about Islam and slavery is that the idea is to get Indians access to the land that is called Pakistan and at least make it into a corridor rather than a roadblock. That is all.

If you must bring in costs, I would say that it would be costly to convert the roadblock into a road/corridor by war alone. Some other means have to be used. If possible. The primary idea is to get Indians access to the areas that are called Pakistan by hook or by crook.

The cost of suggesting it and thinking about it is zero.

Let me restate what I mean from a slightly different angle.

Currently Pakistan has the military capability to capture Indian territory. This capability is retained largely due to consistent long-term US assistance (as in freebies). IF (and I stress on IF) Pakistan's ability to attack and take over parts of India is degraded, (by the US feeling compassion and guilt and stopping freebies to Pakistan) then we will still have a dangerous Pakistan full of Islamic maniacs armed with Kalsashnikovs. The heavy weapons need to be removed or degraded as far as possible. That is the prime motivation for my jihad against US aid to Pakistan.

Once we are left with a Pakistan that is full of Islamic maniacs with Kalashnikovs it will be time for India to move in. We will have to stop saying "Let it fail more. Some more" etc. But moving in to Pakistan can have different implications for different people. Some people might want to offer treatment against Islam. Others may want to visit places for sentimetal or historic importance for Indians. I am not interested in either of those things. I am interested in cutting a route through Pakistan into Iran, Afghanistan and CAR beyond that. The plan is as doable as curing Islam in my view.

But the problem is getting into Pakistan. Getting into Pakistan is dangerous business. That danger is greatly magnified by US aid to its vassal the Pakistani army. I would love to tell Islamic "mine is longer" groups like LeT and others that they are being dominated by White European Christians and that Hindus are laughing at them with a view to creating enough antagonism between the US and its proxytute the Pakistan army that it gets costly for the US to keep providing arms and freebies to them.

But the fundamental idea is to get into Pakistan with the risk being reduced as far as possible. As I see it the US's actions add to the risk, not reduce it.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Cross post
Virendra wrote:Copper mine digging in Afghanistan unearths Buddhist monastery
Full article at:
http://www.psyched.be/wordpress/science ... uLfP3okGQ9

Excerpts:
A Chinese company digging an unexploited copper mine in Afghanistan has unearthed ancient statues of Buddha in a sprawling 2,600-year-old Buddhist monastery.

Archaeologists are rushing to salvage what they can from a major 7th century B.C. religious site along the famed Silk Road connecting Asia and the Middle East.

The ruins, including the monastery and domed shrines known as ‘stupas,’ will likely be largely destroyed once work at the mine begins.

The ruins were discovered as labourers excavated the site on behalf of the Chinese government-backed China Metallurgical Group Corp, which wants to develop the world’s second largest copper mine, lying beneath the ruins.

Hanging over the situation is the memory of the Buddhas of Bamiyan — statues towering up to 180 feet high in central Afghanistan that were dynamited to the ground in 2001 by the country’s then-rulers, the Taliban, who considered them symbols of paganism. No one wants to be blamed for similarly razing history at Mes Aynak, in the eastern province of Logar. MCC wanted to start building the mine by the end of 2011 but under an informal understanding with the Kabul government, it has given archaeologists three years for a salvage excavation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Afghanistan and Pakistan are dangerous places. Full of Muslims. We should not go there. What use are copper and Uranium. China is a superpower. India is a kowtow-power. Let us be satisfied with trying to keep our nation free of more Islam rather than meddling in areas that are above our weight class. 8)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

abhishek_sharma wrote:>> Pakis with AK's guarding Indian transportation

What kind of threats will Indian transportation face? There are not many gora racists between India and Central Asia.
The original sentence I wrote was:
shiv wrote:
devesh wrote: what is the meaning of "stabilized"?
A stabilized Pakistan is a Pakistan in which Kalshnikov armed Paki chowkidars protect roads carrying lorries and buses transporting Indian goods and tourists rather than protecting US interests in the world and harming Indians.
Where did I say "Indian transportation"? I said Indian goods and tourists. The transportation need not be Indian IMO. But Indian goods and people should have access to Pakistan and their security ensured by Paki Khakis. Currently Indians who enter Pakistan will be shot by Paki Khakis who are otherwise busy protecting White Christian Imperialist Americans and American goods.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

Who would attack Indian goods and tourists?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

abhishek_sharma wrote:Who would attack Indian goods and tourists?
Currently Pakis themselves. The same Paki armed forces who are protecting the Americans.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I hope at least some of you read the interview from 2002 that I posted above. It is about events in 1947-48 when Pakis attacked Kashmir just before Hari Singh's accession. At that time both the Indian army and Paki army were still commanded by Brits.
I repost two paragraphs because they are relevant to the role that the US took over from the brits in Pakistan

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 8#p1255558
QWas he following a ‘great’ British gameplan?

The British did not have a gameplan. They were playing it by ear. In fact, Noel Baker, minister for the commonwealth, was reprimanded by prime minister Attlee for following a totally pro-Pakistan policy. Attlee had asked Baker to lean in favour of Pakistan but Baker went overboard in the most grotesque manner in his unqualified support for Pakistan. So much so that the Americans felt his position was unjustifiably pro-Pakistan. Even John Foster Dulles took objection to his stance.

Q.What was the basis for this pro-Pakistani tilt?

It had its basis in Britain’s west Asian policy. The struggle between the Jews and the Arabs had reached violent proportions. The Arabs were strongly critical of the British and the latter were scared of alienating the whole of the Muslim world. This was a fallacious conclusion because the Arab movement was not part of the Muslim movement.
The key sentence is "The struggle between the Jews and the Arabs had reached violent proportions. The Arabs were strongly critical of the British and the latter were scared of alienating the whole of the Muslim world."

The mollycoddling of Pakistan was fear that the entire "Muslim world" would rise against "Great" Britain unless Muslims were shown some special favors. Hindu India was a conveniently available tool to show how the west was "fair" and was supporting Islam against Hindus and not against the entire "Muslim world".

The US has consistently claimed no bias in its dealing with India and Pakistan even as it armed and funded Pakistan. I personally do not see how a USA that has followed this policy for decades can suddenly switch its alliance/allegiance to India. If it comes to "pacifying" Pakistan that is the worst possible action that the US could perform. The US is clearly not looking for a direct confrontation with Pakistan. The US is doing to Pakistan what Pakistan has done to India, that is to provoke below a threshold level that would invite a military response. But the US is able to do that because it is sitting in Pakistan courtesy the Pakistan army. With one hand it feeds and bribes the Pakistan army against their primary foe, India. With the other hand it provokes the same Paki army by killing the army's jihadi allis. the US wants the jihadi allies gone, but would like to see a strong pro US Pakistan army.

I do not think this is in India's interests. Oh of course it is in America's interest to do that.
member_20617
BRFite

Post by member_20617 »

Shiv

First you say ‘But Indian goods and people should have access to Pakistan and their security ensured by Paki Khakis’

When Abhishek asked you ‘who would attack Indian people and goods’, you said Pakis themselves.

So you expect Pakis to both attack us as well as provide us with security! :rotfl:
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Originally posted by Arav in "Iran News and Discussion" Thread

Published on Mar 13, 2012
Iran, India to build International North-South Corridor: Teheran Times
India is making a concerted push into Central Asia by taking charge of a crucial transportation network through Iran into the region and beyond. After getting an enthusiastic thumbs up from 14 stakeholder countries in the region in January, experts from all the countries will meet in New Delhi on March 29 to put final touches to the project known as the International North-South Corridor.

The project envisages a multi-modal transportation network that connects ports on India's west coast to Bandar Abbas in Iran, then overland to Bandar Anzali port on the Caspian Sea; thence through Rasht and Astara on the Azerbaijan border onwards to Kazakhstan, and further onwards towards Russia. Once complete, this would connect Europe and Asia in a unique way -- experts estimate the distance could be covered in 25-30 days in what currently takes 45-60 days through the Suez Canal.

In the January meeting, Sanjay Singh (secretary east, MEA) and Rahul Khullar (commerce secretary) told Iran that India would take charge of the project, including building the missing sections of the railway and road link in Iran. Thanks to U.S. sanctions on Iran's oil sector, India is finding it difficult to pay for its oil imports with hard currency. One of the best ways of paying for Iranian oil is through infrastructure projects like the corridor, which serves economic and strategic interests of all states concerned.

This has been a win-win proposition for India since the North-South Corridor agreement was signed between India, Iran and Russia in September 2000. But over the years, the project fell into disuse. Iran made little attempt to complete construction on its side, expending little political or administrative energy. Neither did Russia or India, which preferred to talk about it but did little to push it. Meanwhile, 11 other countries, including all the Central Asian states, joined up.

Several recent developments have changed India's timid approach. First, China has been building an extensive road and railway network through Central Asia, aiming to touch Europe. It's fast, efficient and already on the ground. While this has made Central Asia accessible to China and others, it is worrying these countries no end. Over the past few years, Central Asian states have repeatedly approached India to play the balancing role. Nursultan Nazarbayev of Kazakhstan actually gave an oil block, Satpaev, to India on strategic considerations.

Second, with Pakistan in a state of almost chronic instability, India can never hope to access Central Asia through Pakistan. Its best bet remains Iran. Building a big-ticket infrastructure corridor is a reaffirmation of Indian commitment to the relationship with Iran.

Meena Singh Roy, senior fellow at IDSA, who is closely connected with the project, said, "The potential of this corridor will be manifold with India, Myanmar and Thailand getting linked by road. This will boost trade between Europe and South East Asia as well."

The North-South Corridor, which can be described as part of the "new great game", is now a battle for "power, hegemony, profits and resources", as a senior official put it. Quite apart from opening up new markets for India, the corridor could also be used to transport energy resources to India -- from oil, gas to uranium and other industrial metals.
In the forthcoming expert-level meetings in Delhi, Indian officials expect to finalize issues of customs and other commercial infrastructure. India has now agreed to provide all this expertise.

Simultaneously, India is eyeing two other transit and transportation networks from Central Asia -- all of them going through Iran. One is a Kazakhstan-Turkmenistan Corridor -- a 677-km railway line connecting these countries with Iran and the Persian Gulf. It will link Uzen in Kazakhstan with Gyzylgaya-Bereket-Etrek in Turkmenistan and end at Gorgan in Iran's Golestan province.

The second comes in from Uzbekistan through northern Afghanistan, known as the Northern Distribution Network through which the U.S. and NATO currently route 70% of their supplies for the ISAF forces. But after the U.S. and NATO exit Afghanistan in 2014, India plans to extend this route to link up with the Zaranj-Delaram road that enters Iran.

India has been pushing Iran to complete construction of the Chahbahar port, which is crucial for these corridors to work to India's advantage. Iran has been notoriously slow in taking these up but India expects that in its current isolation, Iran could do a rethink.
I am posting this here, because it seems India has chosen Iran as the main corridor for access to Central Asia. Pakistan's only chance of survival was to turn into a trade and energy hub for the region. India has buried that dream of Pakistan.

It is not a perfect land corridor and would be susceptible to Iranian moods, but it is better than nothing and it is certainly better than opting for Pakistan.

So for the immediate term it makes the discussion of Indian access to Central Asia through Pakistan somewhat moot.

Secondly it tells the Americans, that India has a corridor into Central Asia, and asks Americans whether they too can boast of the same. Sure Americans have a corridor into Central Asia but it passes through fickle allies. The level of Anti-Americanism in Pakistan and all the Islamic terrorism emanating from there would make Pakistan both politically and economically a very costly corridor. So perhaps they ought to think of Baloch option a bit more seriously.
Last edited by RajeshA on 15 Mar 2012 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Shankaraa wrote:Shiv

First you say ‘But Indian goods and people should have access to Pakistan and their security ensured by Paki Khakis’

When Abhishek asked you ‘who would attack Indian people and goods’, you said Pakis themselves.

So you expect Pakis to both attack us as well as provide us with security! :rotfl:
Well what's good for America should be good for us no? :P

But yes. We have to make Pakis our employees in keeping with their education and capabilities.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

from what i remember, the land route from iran into CAR is far more navigable than over the high mountains between Pakistan and CAR via Afghanistan. the traditional main route was via iran if i am not mistaken

however these were always considered branches off the main silk route which was between the black sea to dunhuang on the edge of the gobi desert via the oases towns. from dunhuang, the imperial roadways carried on into the middle kingdom

between the black sea and dunhuang - we soon run out of rivers and forests and enter the vast steppe, and then onto the gobi desert flanked by the kuen lun and other mountains - this stretch of the route has only favoured the adventerous - but it is also where the spur routes down to india and iran come off
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

The real question is: Who pays for the security arrangements? Are the costs passed to the Indian goods/tourists?

If yes, then this is typical Bangladeshi model: "If you don't give us money, we will support ULFA". Given the growth trajectories of Indian and Paki economies, I expect to see similar dynamics between India and Pak.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Should be workable as long as we have land access through their territories. Same for Pakistan.....after all, are we not paying Kashmiris hafta to stay as honored mehman in our country so that we have unfettered access to the 3 eastern river waters.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

>> are we not paying Kashmiris hafta

We should not.

One act of appeasement does not imply that we should appease others too. How about moving in the forward direction?
Arav
BRFite

Post by Arav »

RajeshA wrote: I am posting this here, because it seems India has chosen Iran as the main corridor for access to Central Asia. Pakistan's only chance of survival was to turn into a trade and energy hub for the region. India has buried that dream of Pakistan.

It is not a perfect land corridor and would be susceptible to Iranian moods, but it is better than nothing and it is certainly better than opting for Pakistan.
India has to rely on Iran for timebeing to access Central Asia and India is taking steps eventhough in small way by building infrastructure at its own pace, at the end every thing will be get set in place IMO. But Iran is having some leaverage in all this, to reduce this

IMO India has to support Israel's position of attacking Iran's nuclear facilities, which will revert Iran's nuclear program by 5 years to a decade and will make it to standup to western nations and may give india leeway to access its land and infrastructure to Central Asia. A nuclear Iran is not in India's advantage.

An afghanistan that just trying to be viable nation will start unravelling pakistan and may make it to think of allowing its territory to access central asia.
Arav
BRFite

Post by Arav »

PS: OT for this thread. Posting it here as we are discussing about access to central asia for energy. Think a new thread for Central Asia or some thing like Indias Strategy for New Silk Road is good.

Recently there was conference on Energy, Transportation on Eurasia. The outcome of it is in IDSA website. Providing a link here. It advocates India to have "Look North Strategy".
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

abhishek_sharma wrote:The real question is: Who pays for the security arrangements? Are the costs passed to the Indian goods/tourists?

If yes, then this is typical Bangladeshi model: "If you don't give us money, we will support ULFA". Given the growth trajectories of Indian and Paki economies, I expect to see similar dynamics between India and Pak.
Abhishek my hot air about land access via Pakistan is easier spoken about than achieved. If any access must be gained anywhere via Pakistan it needs to be done kilometer by kilometer, securing one km at a time. But on a similar note, I suspect India could do a vastly better job of managing Gwadar port than any game-playing foreigners.

Karachi requires cleaning up and here again only India can provide the neutral personnel who will not take sides.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Arav wrote:PS: OT for this thread. Posting it here as we are discussing about access to central asia for energy. Think a new thread for Central Asia or some thing like Indias Strategy for New Silk Road is good.

Recently there was conference on Energy, Transportation on Eurasia. The outcome of it is in IDSA website. Providing a link here. It advocates India to have "Look North Strategy".
Iran's centrality (as stated in the article) essentially means "hold your nose and bypass Pakistan". If that gives Pakistanists happiness, so be it. They are getting enough and more from the US. But guess who else wants to put a spoke here? USA. Once again those two on the same side.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Paul wrote:Should be workable as long as we have land access through their territories. Same for Pakistan.....after all, are we not paying Kashmiris hafta to stay as honored mehman in our country so that we have unfettered access to the 3 eastern river waters.
Paul, the whole of India is an agreement between different linguistic and ethnic groups in various states to agree to one constitution and allow the election of a "supervisory" central government that controls, security, foreign policy and parts of the economy. Most of India's governance and most members of government are local - either panchayat or state and do not come under direct control of the center.

Technically a state may want to break away from the Indian union, but it is not that easy. However if enough Indians feel that the people in a state are not part of the Indian Union we could certainly drum up enough support within India to give it away. We just need more people who feel that Kashmir stays within India because of hafta being paid. Hafta is being paid to some states in the east of India too. The amount of hafta being paid can be saved by one kind of pragmatism that allows amputation of states from India. The alternative is genocide of the people, so the people go, the land remains.

We can learn from the Pakistan experience here. Amputation and genocide is something they have done well because they too have considered other Pakis as "hafta takers".
Arav
BRFite

Post by Arav »

shiv wrote:
Arav wrote:PS: OT for this thread. Posting it here as we are discussing about access to central asia for energy. Think a new thread for Central Asia or some thing like Indias Strategy for New Silk Road is good.
Iran's centrality (as stated in the article) essentially means "hold your nose and bypass Pakistan". If that gives Pakistanists happiness, so be it. They are getting enough and more from the US. But guess who else wants to put a spoke here? USA. Once again those two on the same side.
Fully agree with you on that Shivji, It’s the West in bed with Pakistan Army that is hurting Indian interests and growth opportunities. But we dont have alternatives, so have to work with Iran for timebeing and force Pakistan atbest to think about the opportunity they are losing by siding with west.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Again going through my archives, here is a post I made on 11th November 2001. That was shortly after a forum member called Mike Baxter predicted that the US would pump Pakistan full of money and weapons
Well. look at the bright side folks, and the "big picture"

Of course the US is not calling Puki a terrorist state but that should not prevent us from fretting, fuming and beseeching the US to do just that. These actions IMO do matter. They do reach an audience. OK - so we do know that we are going to have to handle it ourselves - but hey, what the heck - why not try and get some freebies while the going looks good? No shame in this - no need to think "What will others think?" Let them think whatever they like. The US can beseech us back to desist from upsetting Pakistan.

And look at Pakistan. What a nation. It wanted to be close to a superpower - and looks like it's going to be real close, for a really long time. The US is going to camp in Afghanistan - and will have Pakistan for a neighbour. I am not sure who I envy more.

And the US. Well - let's face it folks. Even though the US acts really stupid sometimes - I am a US supporter. A fun nation. All you need to do is watch the US to get some action. I remember a dog show in which a circle of dogs were sitting obediently until one huge dog went "Rowf" - boy - you should have seen the other dogs jump. The US goes "Rowf!" and we have all the OIC nations scampering for cover and saying "Don't hit us. We will be unpleased" And all the US said was "We reserve the right to hit countries other than Afghanistan" How come I am not hearing India, Russia, China, Argentina and Boputhatswana saying "Don't hit us"?

Ever seen the fillers on DD Metro - those clips of gymnastic bikini clad circus chicks from the erstwhile East Germany - for light entertainment between the serious, long, programs? That's what the US is doing now in Afghanistan. 10, maybe 15 aircraft. A laid back 40 sorties a day - some dropping pastries and shortcake. Taliban radar wiped out - Day 1. Taliban Airfields knocked out - Day 2. Taliban Air force knocked out Day 3. Yippee! When does the main show start?

I am sure the "backroom boys" in the US are having a lot of fun. New weapons need testing. See those pictures of that airfield? 8 craters seen in the picture - 7 are bang on target - smack bang in the middle of the runway. Now for those artillery pieces. And what about groups of TaliPakis? The Northern Alliance too are in no hurry to start attacking. Every day I hear reporters on TV from Afghanistan saying "Looks like the attack may begin anytime now, but it looks like the attack may not begin anytime soon"

I had a nightmare last night. The US attacked with massive airpower and in 4 days flat knocked out Osama and the half blind guy and all the terrorists. Gen Musharraf kicked out all the pro-Talibani elements and the 50 million fundoos of Pakistan were dancing in a disco swaying to a "US and Musharraf Zindabad" tune by JuMoon playing Kalashnikovs. Bush signed a check for $50 billion and 200 F-16s. I tried to pinch myself and wake up - but Mike Baxter held on to my wrist and prevented me from pinching myself. I told you so, he kept repeating . .
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Well their backing the bad guys made them bankrupt and is leading to Vietnam era malaise again.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Originally posted by SureshP in TIRP Thread

Published on Mar 24, 2012
By Asghar Azad
Hundreds of thousands attend JSQM ‘Freedom March’: Daily Times

Code: Select all

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2012%5C03%5C24%5Cstory_24-3-2012_pg12_5
Demonstrators denounce Pakistan Resolution of 1940 and chant slogans in favour of ‘Sindhu Desh’

KARACHI: Hundreds of thousands of leaders, activists and supporters of the Jeay Sindh Qaumi Mahaz (JSQM) brought out the ‘Freedom March’ from Numaish Chowrangi to Tibet Centre here on Friday, denouncing the Pakistan Resolution of 1940 and chanting slogans in favour of ‘Sindhu Desh’.

Dozens of processions arrived late Friday night outsidethe residence of JSQM Chairman Bashir Khan Qureshi in Gulshan-e-Hadeed, Karachi.

Welcome camps were set up in various areas of the city to guide processions and participants coming from other parts of Sindh. The camps were set up at Tool Plaza, Supper Highway, Kathore Bridge, Sasui Tool Palza, Razaq Abad, Bhens Colony, Malir Halt, Natha Khan, Drigh Road, Karsaaz, Hassan Square, Nipa Chowrangi, Sohrab Goth, Safoora Chowrangi, Johar Chowarngi and Nursery.

The main rally was taken out from Gulshan-e-Hadeed, which was led by party leaders Qureshi, Asif Baladi, Sagar Hanif Burrdi and Dr Niaz Kalani. It arrived at Numaish Chowrangi and joined the ‘Freedom March’.

The people were spread from Peoples’ Secretariat Chowrangi to Tibet Centre on both sides of MA Jinnah Road peacefully. It was second consecutive year that the party organised the ‘Freedom March’.

Hundreds of processions were taken out from different cities and towns of Sindh including Larkana, Hyderabad, Sukkur, Shikarpur, Jacobabad, Mirpurkhas, Thatta, Badin, Tando Mohammad Khan, Tando Allahyar, Tharparker, Mithi, Jhudo, Sanghar, Khairpur, KN Shah, Dadu, Faizganj, Kumb, Naushehro Feroze, Moro, Kandiaro, Gambat, Ranipur, Shahdadkot, Thari Mirwah, Qamber, Shaheed Benazirabad, Daour, Umerkot, Qazi Ahmad, Hala, Saeed Abad, Mehar, Pir Jo Goth, Karoondi, Padedan, Bhirya Road, Moro and Sakrand.

Strict security arrangements were made for the march as all the entrances and exist points were closed with buses, water tankers and other barriers from Guro Mander toTibet Centre on MA Jinnah Road. Hundreds of policemen, including Rangers and other law enforcement personnel performed security duty.

Addressing the participants, Qureshi said that Sindh had voluntarily merged itself into the country under 1940’s Pakistan Resolution but now its people were disowning it as the resolution had failed to protect rights and autonomy of the province during last 65 years. “We Sindhis now disown the Pakistan Resolution, say it good bye and demand independence of Sindh according to historical status”, he said.

The Sindhi nationalist leader announced that his party accepted Urdu speaking population in Sindh during the partition and considered them part of Sindh, adding, the Urdu speaking population would have to take steps for Sindh and its people sincerely and would prove their attachment with Sindh.

“We Sindhis made remarkable progress for establishing harmonized socioeconomic system linked with agriculture and overcome numerous obstacles in their way to prosperity with the passage of time”, Qureshi said.

The JSQM chief further said that the Pakistan Resolution was tabled in Sindh Assembly on March 23, 1940 that stated that a separate state would be establish in Muslim majority areas. He said their leader GM Syed had demanded Pakistan while tabling that resolution in the Sindh Assembly.

Qureshi said, “The establishment and rulers, especially Punjab who ruled the country from the day first have never complied with the resolution.” He said a pocket of Muslim League leaders had devised a conspiracy at a meeting of All India Muslim League’s working session just before one year of establishment of Pakistan and entitled it ‘Pakistan will be a religious nation state that was totally against the Pakistan Resolution of 1940’. By this act the resolution broke before its completion.”

Qureshi said that Jeay Sindh Movement founder GM Syed had warned the international community at the Vienna convocation in 1952 about threats of religious extremism in this region, as saying that creating a state on the basis of religion would promote religious extremism and harm global peace.

Qureshi pointed out that Sindh was once the land of religious harmony, where Hindus and Muslims lived like brothers. He said that Sindh’s land was fertile owing to the Indus River and it was a junction of international trade, that was why foreign invaders attacked it several times, adding that Sindhis never had the psyche of invading anyone because of their rich social and cultural status, however, the Sindhis had boldly resisted the invaders.

Qureshi asked the Urdu speaking community to come forward and demand the rights of Sindh. We want to make clear to Urdu speaking people that we Sindhis are considering them as brethren and part of Sindhi nation.
Published on Mar 24, 2012
Pakistan Day: JSQM leader demands freedom for Sindh and Balochistan: Tribune Express

Code: Select all

http://tribune.com.pk/story/354308/pakistan-day-jsqm-leader-demands-freedom-for-sindh-and-balochistan/
KARACHI: As the people across the country celebrated Pakistan Day, hundreds of thousand people from Sindh gathered in Karachi on Friday and demanded freedom for Sindh and an independent status for Balochistan.

This demand came in a ‘Freedom March’ rally organised by the Jeay Sindh Qaumi Mahaz (JSQM), a Sindhi nationalist party, led by Bashir Qureshi.

While it was not possible to give an exact estimate of participants of the rally, both the lanes of MA Jinnah Road from Tibet Centre to Mazar-e-Quaid were filled with people holding flags of JSQM and wearing traditional Sindhi caps.

Most of the participants had though come from interior Sindh, a sizeable number of people from city’s localities of Lyari, Ibrahim, Gulshan-e-Hadeed, Malir, Gadap, Keamari and Baloch Colony were also present.

Recalling that Sindh had joined Pakistan under the resolution of March 23, 1940 voluntarily, JSQM chief Bashir Qureshi said that this resolution has lost its value as it failed to give autonomy to the federating units.

“It is therefore not logical and moral to remain with Pakistan. We now say goodbye to this country,” Qureshi said adding that Sindh contributes 80 per cent to federal budget and produces 69 per cent gas and 75 per cent oil. But people of Sindh are deprived of all opportunities.

Referring to Urdu-speaking people, he said that “they are our berths and part of Sindhi nation. But “they should give up their obsession with two-nation theory and start supporting genuine issues of Sindh.” The anthem of Jeay Sindh was also played at the rally.

Qureshi in his address not only demanded independence for Sindh, but said that Balochistan should also be recognised as a separate homeland and the Baloch as a distinct nation.

He said that Pakistan’s territorial boundaries were not sacred and it was always possible change and alter it. Criticising ‘Punjabis,’ Qureshi said “people of Sindh have always fought against the invaders and will not let any one loot and plunder the resources of the soil.”

He also criticised the extremist religious groups who, according to him, were forcing Hindu girls to convert to Islam. JSQM leader called it yet another conspiracy against Hindus of Sindh, who are masters of this land.

“At the time of partition, communal riots were designed to compel 1.3 million Hindu to migrate. In the meantime, settlers were allotted 2.5 million acre land of Sindh under bogus claims.”

The participants of the rally who came via national and super highways first gathered at Gulshan-e-Hadeed before reaching Numaish Chowrangi from where from they marched to Tibet Centre.

They were chanting slogans “Na Khapi na khapi, Pakistan Na Khapi” (We don’t want Pakistan). Other slogans they chanted included: “Tuhinjo Desh, muhinjo Desh, Sindhu Desh, Sindhu Desh” (Your country, my country is the country of Sindhu Desh) and “Tuhinjo Rahbar, muhinjo Rahbar, GM Syed, GM Syed” (Your leader, my leader is GM Syed). Many families along with children were present in March, which had come from different districts of Sindh. Activists of other nationalist parties were also present on the occasion.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Looks like Mods would ahve to start a Sindh thread on teh lines of the balochistan thread. The song in the background in the above thread is "sarfaroshi ki tamanna aaj hamare dil mein" by ram prasad bismil good going sindhu vaasiyon
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Its amazing how this is the dejure topic of talkshows and opeds.
Roku had TED, UCTV "conversations with history" all have this topic.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

brihaspati wrote: The difference from the so-called trade-based or organic/evolutionary/gentle-persuasion strategies of weaning away and my line is that - I have already concluded that weaning away is only possible under delegitimization and destruction of the theological institutional networks that sustain and reproduce jihad in various forms flexibly.
This weaning away can be done only by a superior countervailing force, with the backing of a modern state apparatus and allies, who are interested and are willing to put assets on the line to delegitimize and destroy the sunni theologic institutional networks. Where are these opposing social, theological, political and military forces? It is fine to lay these principles down in isolation and many folks have been through the whole cycle of Islamism and what they mean - I think very few would disagree with your views on Islamism alone on this board,. But these principles need some semblance of reality to come to fruition. The realities on the ground are so far off from the ideals you present that it is baffling for small minds, like mine, to comprehend the journey and the path you envision.
For Pakistan, as I have repeated many times before, therefore, my projection was destruction of all the powers, structures and therefore the state - which protect and backup the mullahcracy and the institutional mechanisms.
I am sure you have heard of the term , "if you break it - you own it". It is not like we can afford to do what dumb Americans can afford to such as come in bomb and kill a few 100,000 people and then go back home after a a decade and ask, who is next? Even if we somehow muster the power to break TSP, we will then have the responsibility of owning it. Before we acquire something new, we first have to ensure that we are able to manage, what we currently own. In most peoples view, the Indian republic itself is still a work in progress and has not come out in flying colors and hence trying to own up to new responsibilities at this time or in the foreseeable near future (20-50 years), would be premature.
Without soverignty neither the choice nor the protection of choice can be ensured. I would also like to destroy the very structure on which mullahcracy stands in alliance with feudalism and the army - by promising land redistribution and implementing it too.
True, without absolute control, you may not be able to guarantee certain outcomes and have to be able to manage outcomes to certain acceptable degrees, from the outside. Land redistribution is a laudable goal but no magic panacea in a country with a burgeoning population and increasing urbanization, who's issues are not non-similar to the issues we have. It is not land that a new generation looks forward to as its source of wealth, it is industry, education and jobs.

So, at question here is not not the ideals you set but the path you may undertake to achieve the same. I asked about UCC as a question to make the point that if the Indian polity cannot muster the courage, due to the muslim population veto, to enforce a uniform view of its own laws (even if faulty, IMO) , on its own population then pray how will it muster the wherewithal to consume entire geo-political constructs. Your answer was, once TSP is destroyed, things like the UCC will follow quickly. IMO, that is like putting the cart before the horse and did not answer my question. The Indian state is not strong enough yet, to undertake a venture such as the consummation of TSP. The need of the hour is to strengthen this (Indian) state and more so the social structures of the nation.

PS: Edited for some clarity.
Last edited by ShauryaT on 01 Apr 2012 03:50, edited 1 time in total.
Kamboja
BRFite

Post by Kamboja »

ShauryaT wrote:I am sure you have heard of the term , "if you break it - you own it".
If I may ask some naive questions here: could you explain why this is the case for us? It is not obvious to me why we cannot help 'break' Pakistan, then walk away and let the pieces descend into civil war.

I assume that a consensus/majority in GoI see this as unacceptable because of the risks and costs, but again these are not clear to me. I'd guess that the biggest risk would be the fate of Paki nukes; but aside from that? Is it that GoI fears the potential refugee problem? Given that the India-Pak border is heavily militarized, I don't see why refugees couldn't be contained outside the country. And I doubt that GoI thinkers are seriously constrained by humanitarian concerns for the fate of our Eastern neighbors. What are the other costs and risks for India of a break-up of Pakistan?

So I guess my question is: why not (help to) break Pakistan (we only need help since they are doing an excellent job themselves) and then have nobody own it? For clarity: what I mean by 'break' is literal - secession, civil war, military action directed inwards at emergent factions and states out of an erstwhile Pakistan.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

ShauryaT wrote:
brihaspati wrote: The difference from the so-called trade-based or organic/evolutionary/gentle-persuasion strategies of weaning away and my line is that - I have already concluded that weaning away is only possible under delegitimization and destruction of the theological institutional networks that sustain and reproduce jihad in various forms flexibly.
This weaning away can be done only by a superior countervailing force, with the backing of a modern state apparatus and allies, who are interested and are willing to put assets on the line to delegitimize and destroy the sunni theologic institutional networks. Where are these opposing social, theological, political and military forces? It is fine to lay these principles down in isolation and many folks have been through the whole cycle of Islamism and what they mean - I think very few would disagree with your views on Islamism alone on this board,. But these principles need some semblance of reality to come to fruition. The realities on the ground are so far off from the ideals you present that it is baffling for small minds, like mine, to comprehend the journey and the path you envision.
The only reality that prevents the journey and path - at this stage - without initiative and prepartion for that journey and path, is the character of the current Indian rashtra (but not its nation-jaati). A nation is a more fundamental entity than the rashtra which is its coercive superstructure. Superstructure changes, mutates, gets destroyed, gets rebuilt, but the nation-jaati continues. We happen to be burdened with a colonial imperial setup, practically speaking lock-stock-and-barrel with cosmetic changes in form but no practical change in the underlying ideology of the rashtryia machinery - whose continuation and survival was ensured by the non-revolutionary non-overthrow patronized power-transfer by imperialism. Therefore that inherited rashtra shaped the subsequent politics and politicians as much as the politicians thought they were shaping the rashtra.

Realizing what a problem is before the jaati - is the first step in statecraft. Realizing what the problem is does not automatically imply that we have to surrender to that problem.
For Pakistan, as I have repeated many times before, therefore, my projection was destruction of all the powers, structures and therefore the state - which protect and backup the mullahcracy and the institutional mechanisms.
I am sure you have heard of the term , "if you break it - you own it". It is not like we can afford to do what dumb Americans can afford to such as come in bomb and kill a few 100,000 people and then go back home after a a decade and ask, who is next? Even if we somehow muster the power to break TSP, we will then have the responsibility of owning it. Before we acquire something new, we first have to ensure that we are able to manage, what we currently own. In most peoples view, the Indian republic itself is still a work in progress and has not come out in flying colors and hence trying to own up to new responsibilities at this time or in the foreseeable near future (20-50 years), would be premature.
Every nation is always a work in progress. There are things that a jaati has to do simultaneously, without waiting for one task to be entirely completed before another. If you are seeking prosperity and supposed unity before everything else - you will have to wait for infinity. For desire for prosperity is never satisfied, and there will always be small-hearts jealous of more deserving others to spoil unity. Indian powers have broken that area before and owned it also. Prosperity or unity or resoureces to mount a campaign and hold a area - all are realities of tactics, which are meaningless if first the strategic vision of breaking and owning is not established. I am only trying to establish that starting resolve.

Preparing for war and expansion shapes a country's economic growth, its social reconstruction and realignment, even without actually going to war.
Without soverignty neither the choice nor the protection of choice can be ensured. I would also like to destroy the very structure on which mullahcracy stands in alliance with feudalism and the army - by promising land redistribution and implementing it too.
True, without absolute control, you may not be able to guarantee certain outcomes and have to be able to manage outcomes to certain acceptable degrees, from the outside. Land redistribution is a laudable goal but no magic panacea in a country with a burgeoning population and increasing urbanization, who's issues are not non-similar to the issues we have. It is not land that a new generation looks forward to as its source of wealth, it is industry, education and jobs.
No, land-reforms is a tactical Dandi-march move, and I am entirely aware of its inadequacy to satisfy demand. Whenever I have talked of this, I have mentioned this as a tactical move to force the real power in the Paki state - the mullahcracy+army+feudals - to come out in the open and oppose it. Moreover, the "reality" of Pakistan in its non-urban majority population is still about land.
So, at question here is not not the ideals you set but the path you may undertake to achieve the same. I asked about UCC as a question to make the point that if the Indian polity cannot muster the courage, due to the muslim population veto, to enforce a uniform view of its own laws (even if faulty, IMO) , on its own population then pray how will it muster the wherewithal to consume entire geo-political constructs. Your answer was, once TSP is destroyed, things like the UCC will follow quickly. IMO, that is like putting the cart before the horse and did not answer my question. The Indian state is not strong enough yet, to undertake a venture such as the consummation of TSP. The need of the hour is to strengthen this state and more so the social structures of the nation.
I am a supporter of UCC. But among many other factors the primary reason UCC is not happening is because the rashtra with all its force [ultimately it means its coercive force] including the apparatus of education and thought control - sees it absolutely necessary to protect exclusive identities as a fundamental requirement for continuance of personal power.

Indian rashtra is one more example of making the apparatus of state power dependent on the apparatus of personal power. In this, it is crucial to prevent the unification of the whole jaati into one mobilizing identity - so that distinct identities will run to the glorious individual, preferably hereditary (so that the coteries that develop have some stable profit extraction future), to resolve their disputes. This making the jaati split into factions dependent on individual rulers - necessitates delegitimizing in order of numerical strength - the larger identities, so that the jaati does not develop its own set of values independent of ruler's prerogatives on values.

Its this rashtryia power setup that prevents your desired for UCC.

In this setup preservation of Pak is a crucial aspect too. I have described many time sbefore why a surviving Islamist Pakistan is good for congrez-left type politics. They can then play the swing threat of siding with Islamists against non-Muslims, or with non-Muslims against Islamists. Its all for preserving personal power.

Methods or the path are obvious. It is very legitimate to start off with, and will evolve depending on how the colonial-inherited-rashtra-led by vacuum ideologues serving apparatus of personal power - react in coercion or not. Starting off with cultural unification with the clear consciousness of transformation of the rashtra towards expansion and necessity of coercion on hostile forces, and a rejection of values represented by Islamists and similarly aligned or sympathetic forces.

That area is ours. The process of absorption itself is calculated to generate resistance from those we want to resist us and provide all the right reasons for us to liquidate them. Population is not a problem.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

brihaspati wrote: Methods or the path are obvious. It is very legitimate to start off with, and will evolve depending on how the colonial-inherited-rashtra-led by vacuum ideologues serving apparatus of personal power - react in coercion or not. [b]Starting off with cultural unification with the clear consciousness of transformation of the rashtra towards expansion[/b] and necessity of coercion on hostile forces, and a rejection of values represented by Islamists and similarly aligned or sympathetic forces.
There is agreement in the above view. There is a political slide going on for about 1000+ years and it will take time to first consolidate, unify and then expand. IMO, we are at a pre-consolidation stage, where the first battle is to fight to change the slogan "unity in diversity" to "diversity in unity". There is a world of a difference in the meanings of the two slogans. The first puts its emphasis in diversity and not our cultural unity. The latter has its emphasis in this cultural unity, while accepting its diverse strands. In India at this time, the battle for a change in this mind set has not even begun in earnest. Indeed, I fear that the trajectory is towards a deracinated view of ourselves and one extrapolation of the current trajectory may again land up this nation as a colonized nation or a claw of some other crab.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Kamboja wrote: If I may ask some naive questions here: could you explain why this is the case for us? It is not obvious to me why we cannot help 'break' Pakistan, then walk away and let the pieces descend into civil war.
Our great power ambitions cannot be fulfilled without some level of control over the sub continent and its affairs. Amongst, these include at a minimum a certain level of peaceful control over borders (and it takes two sides to do that), non-enemity towards existence of the other state or peaceful co-existence, economic integration, a shared system of procedures and systems to resolve disputes and issues. India is a virtual island. It will be far difficult to export our formidable hard and soft products to the countries in the Asian land mass without this access. As long as India remains weak and our geo-poltical options constrained, it leaves the scope open for other powers to play in our natural spheres of influence and domination, which is the IOR and the land mass about a 1000 miles in all directions from current borders. The Indian republic has way too many mistakes in the past to severely cripple this vision, chief among them was to allow TSP to go nuclear. This vision is not mine alone, it was articulated by JLN in 1948! (not in the same manner maybe).

Any other region of Pakistan is not self sufficient to stand on its own, except for Pakjab. Pakjab has the wherewithal to dominate the others, as it does now. This is the reason an implosion theory is never taken very seriously amongst planners. So, if you break it, you own it. For the moment you walk away, the previous owners simply walk in again.

What you also have to remember is that these regions have contiguous historical social and economic links with the other. The Durand and Radcliff lines are artificial. It is not like, you can exploit a Vietnam-China 1000 year enmity. Baluchis and Mohajirs dominate major parts of Sindh. The Pashtuns dominate Quetta. South Punjab (Multan) and North Sindh can veritably be called a separate region (Saraiki) who are tied at the hip. So, what and who will you separate further.

A peaceful neighborhood is essential for even controlled and managed growth. Do not forget, who were the most vociferous opposition to Parakram. It was the business community in India.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

ShauryaT wrote:
brihaspati wrote: Methods or the path are obvious. It is very legitimate to start off with, and will evolve depending on how the colonial-inherited-rashtra-led by vacuum ideologues serving apparatus of personal power - react in coercion or not. [b]Starting off with cultural unification with the clear consciousness of transformation of the rashtra towards expansion[/b] and necessity of coercion on hostile forces, and a rejection of values represented by Islamists and similarly aligned or sympathetic forces.
There is agreement in the above view. There is a political slide going on for about 1000+ years and it will take time to first consolidate, unify and then expand. IMO, we are at a pre-consolidation stage, where the first battle is to fight to change the slogan "unity in diversity" to "diversity in unity". There is a world of a difference in the meanings of the two slogans. The first puts its emphasis in diversity and not our cultural unity. The latter has its emphasis in this cultural unity, while accepting its diverse strands. In India at this time, the battle for a change in this mind set has not even begun in earnest. Indeed, I fear that the trajectory is towards a deracinated view of ourselves and one extrapolation of the current trajectory may again land up this nation as a colonized nation or a claw of some other crab.
The trajectory appears to go awry for the very fact that we accept the thesis of "development to n-th degree first, n unspecified" thrust upon us. It is those others, [including JLN] who pushed the mythically reconstructed Asokan ideal of "giving up on coercion" and "power projection beyond imposed borders", and "prosperity first" - who had wanted us to be the honeybee who would gather the honey for the looters to tap periodically.

Pakis and the Chinese have gone for military power first and development as secondary [Maoist China was primarily a military armed camp on a nationwide scale], and Pakis still manage to force posters here to acknowledge that "nothing can be done to them on the coercion front" and that they can continue to do 26/11's. So military capacity building to the extent that others can be selectively prevented from hurting - does not have to depend on the gazillions of prosperity first theory.

By accepting the western, JLN-esque, and later congrez-leftie theory of disjointing expansive and coercive strategies from development and prosperity - we have played solidly into the western and Islamist game of keeping India as the honeycomb - whose busy bees would store honey for the periodic tapping by their otherwise dud and unproductive but looting-psyche populations.For this it is important to keep Indians accumulating first and not simultaneosuly increase their power projection in a territorial and physical sense.

Indian accummulation will help preserve the Jihadis on behalf of the ME expansion schemes and basically maintain western mercenaries from Islamist origins to be unleashed on the subcontinent. This is a costless way on the part of west, and particularly perhaps the Brit line of thinking - to maintain the jihadi capacities on the shoulders of India.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The RAPEs are very confused now. Their ancestors converted to keep the power and jagirs. The Brits came and these folks adopted Wastern norms. They jumed on TSP bandwagon thinking that will preserve their power and pelf.
Now TSP is sinking into Islum and they wonder what is the compulsion to keep the conversion which as only an expedient for survival. The big question is how and when to get out of the Islamic forceful conversion.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ramana wrote: The big question is how and when to get out of the Islamic forceful conversion.
Ramana It may be deeper than that. The conversion comes with the compulsion that questioning one's own beliefs or opposing them leads to pain. It's like attitudes put in childhood about fearing dogs or snakes. The fear is deep and primaeval. There is very real fear of questioning one's own beliefs because that questioning is associated with all sorts of pain and suffering. So the focus is never on the discomfort of changing what's inside, but only on saying that what is outside - that is the others, the kafirs are wrong and if they changed (converted) all would be well.

It is a very very robust model and not amenable to easy solutions.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

During British times quite a few went to England and changed over to Christianity. No fatwa/watwa in those days for they couldn't deal with UK!
So its a case of bending before greater power.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

shiv wrote:
ramana wrote: The big question is how and when to get out of the Islamic forceful conversion.
Ramana It may be deeper than that. The conversion comes with the compulsion that questioning one's own beliefs or opposing them leads to pain. It's like attitudes put in childhood about fearing dogs or snakes. The fear is deep and primaeval. There is very real fear of questioning one's own beliefs because that questioning is associated with all sorts of pain and suffering. So the focus is never on the discomfort of changing what's inside, but only on saying that what is outside - that is the others, the kafirs are wrong and if they changed (converted) all would be well.

True. There is one sure shot solution though and that is effective state control. Control that forces this change through acts of coercion, carrots and sticks. Ofcourse this has to be accompanied by all kinds of ideological psy-ops. But the key point is the issue has to be forced. We talked about this in your old Islamism threads. A modern version of this soft coercion is the American assimilative model, that was vibrant till the 70's and is still largely in place today.

Also, if you notice Indian history, none of the major confederacies made a serious attempt at such a coercive model. Neither the Marathas nor the Sikhs. The only time we have had some proven success is in 1947 in Punjab - on both sides - but this was not just coercion, it was brute force. Something that cannot be replicated or duplicated at a mass scale.
Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Post by Agnimitra »

shiv wrote:

That is only if you consider the human being to be not much more than a stimulus-response animal. The fact is otherwise. Introduced to a proper spiritual process, all such primeval fears can be overcome. The universal solvent is communication. That is where a spiritual and cultural aspect of Indian soft power projection is very important.

Of course, for this process to have any chance of working, a safe atmosphere is necessary. That means a greater power (political and coercive) has to replace the jihadist street power. The jihadist dogs have to be put to sleep or at least chased away to the outskirts of the settlements.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

ShauryaT wrote:I am sure you have heard of the term , "if you break it - you own it".
If we break it, we own it. But if we own it, we ought to have the leeway to break it even more, and squeeze the venom out of its body. Who is to say, what "owning" means?

OT, but if any Westerners protest, we can always say, they are more than welcome to send their soldiers to Pakistan to restore "order", in other words to "share the ownership"! Who else is going to come in?