India-US Strategic News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Post by shiv »

Could not think of a more appropriate therad - hence I post my reply here
VikramS wrote: 1. Do you think there were gross inaccuracies in the negative US portrayal of India? Or what was bad for India was the focus on the negatives only. Was there no positive mention of India or Indic culture prior to the 90s?
There was no information about India that was available to the average Joe. My father travelled to the US as a British Indian citizen in 1945 (after the war) on the QE 2 that sailed from Madras and eventually went to New York via Karachi and some other stops. The ship was full of GIs returning from the far east - but they may have been cattle class. A maid had asked my father and his friends on the first day whether they wanted to have the bath readied and that was done. the next day they asked her to ready the bath again and she exclaimed "What? Again?" That was the sort of cultural gap between gora admi and mango Indian. My late father used to recall that GIs asked him "Are you a Maharaya?" (not raja, raya - the Spanish pronunciation). Even now text to speech software reads "pooja" as "pooya". Many relatives and friends of mine moved to America in the 1970s and have been there since.

When I was a boy (1960s) comic books occasionally had an Indian character. It was usually a boy or a prince on an elephant. In America. If it was India there had to be a skin and bone snake charmer with a bed of nails to lie on. The elephant was always there in the background. The "naked fakir" image of India. This was how India was portrayed in movies (eg Harry Black and the Tiger) and in the media

Many of my relatives and friends went to the US in the mid and late 70s. The "Maharaja/elephant/poverty/fakir" image was all that was known even then - if anyone was interested at all. No one was interested though. America was the center of the universe anyway.

I believe that these stereotyped images of India were never corrected - but Pakistani leaders played an active role in creating the impression of a progressive nation. You have probably seen some videos of Ayub Khan from the 1950s. No such positive publicity was given by India or Indians.
VikramS wrote:And I finally come to an issue which we often neglect. There is a undeniable element of truth when it comes to the negatives of Indian society. While there is a lot of change happening, as a society, we do not see it as the top priority. Even the very basics like a functional toilet for all (very easily achieved by Sulabh) is not seen as a vital, even though the economic loss is enormous (medical issues, lost of productivity etc.). I have also alluded to why non-caste based Indic religions be spread among those who have suffered in the past, instead of leaving them as easy pickings for soul-harvesters. We may have had our excuses and reasons in the past but circa 2011 the primary cause is apathy.
"non caste based Indic religions". Are you suggesting that caste has something to do with religion? Wrong thread but I think you are stepping on a minefield there.

The topic of toilets is vast. The easiest way to explain the toilet issue to to an American is to say "apathy" or "Indians are lazy/dirty". If anyone is really interested in digging deeper the door is open to understand why things are the way they are. The average American perhaps thinks of India once in two years, but Indians need to relieve themselves several times a day every day and it has always been that way. Toilets for all are not going to become available even in two years time so better to say "apathy" and be done with it rather than explaining.
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

shivji:

My theological knowledge is limited so I am running away from the minefield. Reverse gear used to be the strongest.

What I meant was that if former slave owners can buy souls for $12/pop, there is something which Indics can do to stop that loot. There are four main Indic religions and there is ample choice available for those who feel left out.

Re Toilets:
I agree the issue is vast. Part of it is habit, part of it is lack of awareness, and a part of it is lack of facilities. I bought it up as an example of general apathy. Why cant politicians/NGOs who can give land to form jhuggi colonies and then regularize them not ensure that toilets are also built? I do not know of any other major country rich or poor where this goes on on the scale it happens in India.

BTW, not everyone goes 2-3 times a day, but as a hakim you are better qualified on that. :rotfl:
===========

Regarding the image issue. I am still searching for a better understanding towards ill-will towards Indic civilizations which many point to as the root cause of the anti-India attitude.

Having lived here for almost half of my life, I lean more towards the India was irrelevant school of thought than the Indics are bad school of thought. I am trying to find more information to see if my understanding is flawed. I do realize that there is class of people (academics/Right Wingers) who are likely to subscribe to the Indics are bad theory. However I am not sure how significant their role is in shaping US FP.

One might argue that the Indics are bad theory helped reinforce the irrelevance, since Indics were considered worth worrying about. However, whether the Indics are bad theory led to outright hostility towards India is something I am still looking for. Note I do not count Nixon et.al during 1971 as a manifestation of Indics are bad theory. It might have been blue-blooded Germans at that point and Nixon would have called them a witch during those circumstances.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Solution is simple

For average Joe (the class most Indians interact with usually)
VikramS wrote: I lean more towards the India was irrelevant
Is true, since they are completely "Me first" society.

However that "Me first" society has a institution which takes the "me first" drive and forms strategies and targets to achieve that. For them
school of thought than the Indics are bad
Since they interfere with "Me first" type of treatment that the "average joe" wants his Govt to give him.

Its not really very complicated.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

shiv wrote: If it was India there had to be a skin and bone snake charmer with a bed of nails to lie on. The elephant was always there in the background.
And that is what they look for when they come to India

From Yudh Abhyas 2009

Mrs. Kennedy

Shriman Clinton

Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Nothing wrong with the Maharaja, the elephant or snake charmer image if that was one of the many images that formed modern India in the mind of the world. Unfortunately that is the only Image that stuck to the west along with wretched poverty (Thanks to Mother Teresa).
Its now only we see some Images changing in the mind of average Joe.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

Crackdown on Ramdev an internal Indian issue: US
PTI | Washington

The crackdown on yoga guru Baba Ramdev and his followers at the Ramlila Grounds in New Delhi is an "internal Indian issue", a US official said today and ruled out to compare this incident with the Tiananmen Square in China.

"We have seen the various media reports about the incident (Ramlila Maidan). We consider it an internal Indian issue at this point," State Department spokesman Mark Toner told reporters during his daily news conference.

"Speaking more broadly, though, we do support the right to peaceful assembly, but we also support a democratic government's right to require permits and enforce public security. But, again, we believe it's an internal matter for the Indian government," he said.

However, he refrained from making a direct comment on this specific incident arguing that this is an internal matter for India.

"Obviously, we support the right to peaceful assembly, but there's an equal obligation on the part of the protesters or those assembled to have the necessary permits," Toner said.

Noting that the demonstrators at the Ramlila Maidan may or may not have had permits, Toner said: "We obviously support their right to peaceful assembly.

We respect India's stature as the world's largest democracy, and we believe it's right now an internal matter for them to decide the best way forward".

Toner said it is important to recognize that India, as world's largest democracy has responsibility to allow these peaceful protesters to express their views.

"But equally, there's a responsibility on the part of the protesters to do so in a responsible fashion and with the requisite security requirements," he said.

Responding to questions, Toner however refused to draw parallel between the Ramlila Maidan incident with those of brutal crackdown at the Tianamen Square in China.

I'm not going to draw parallels between the two cases," Toner said. "Just a few days ago you put out a statement marking the anniversary of Tiananmen Square. Do the Chinese also have a right to uphold public order by storming Tiananmen Square?" he was asked
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I have seen in films that part of IA infantry training is to learn how to handle snakes, and to hold one's nerve if one is crawling in the bush and come face to face with one...the film showed the jawan catching it by the neck and throwing it aside.
now its kinda risky having a true blue poisonous snake being handled or to let a bunch of these serpents live in a patch of wood and having people crawl through it.

so my wild claim would be they have a bunch of snake catchers and charmers on the payroll who keep a stable of defanged snakes or non poisonous ones and these are used for training purposes.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

X Posted from TSP thread:

We can go on discussing whether Unkil is doing this because of cold calculated strategy, off the cuff, or any other blinkered way. Fact is one can give examples for all of them. But for most of the last 60 years South Asia has been on the strategic 'back of the envelop' for the US. Only 3 or 4 major events have shaped up that have caught US in some sort of strategic real think regarding the region.

1. Link to China via Pak.
2. Using Pak to confront the SU in Afghanistan.
3. Nuclear tests Ind-Pak
4. India's liberalization success story.
5. Paks ongoing talibanization ufolding success story

Rest 60 years economically, militarily, diplomatically India did not matter much to Uncles scheme of things. It was not felt necessary to groom India. India's world view was much too left to matter to the US. Today economically ad militarily India is not a pushover. Diplomatically yes we have a lot of MKB chelas around and cut a sorry figure. So even the loss due to terrorism before was just some 3rd world shithole problem on land issues for most aam Joe's in the US. FP experts in Massa come from the aam Joe..and hence the blinkered vision. Indian diplomacy failed big time as many diplomats were told to NOT discuss Kashmir, write on it etc. So the Paki's went around with their bit of garbage and convinced aam Joe that India had something to hide.

The failure of aam Joe to empathize with terrorism in India is due to failed diplomatic principles. Simple things not explained to aam Joe was a failure of our missions and GOI. No wonder there was so much blinkered vision emanating from the US.
skumar
BRFite

Post by skumar »

X Posted from TSP thread:

The US is being given monster truck loads of "benefit of doubt" when anyone says that the oh so innocent US stumbles into these situations around the world every time.

The US today is the not the US of their founding fathers. It is an oligarchy where megacorps and special interest groups tell Presidents what policy should be or be shot / humiliated.

The US has two existentialist goals today supported by the oligarchy - keeping the dollar as the reserve currency and oil. And it will do whatever to achieve these goals.

So when someone talks about the US having a larger world view, the BS bells start ringing aloud.

The larger world view would be strengthened by the US
- not supporting despots around the world
- not making deals with terrorists and not making distinctions between good terrorists and bad ones
- reining in its blood sucking megacorps (FIs mostly)
amongst other things.

And remember, even the US of the founding fathers supported slavery.
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

RajeshA wrote:
Ambar wrote:Although i would not go Paki on foreign diplomats and their families in India, it is about time GoI make some strong statements atleast. From George Fernandes search, to patting down of Kalam saab and more recently pat down of Meera Shankar, it is high time we show some spine atleast verbally.
Ambar ji,

As far as respect for diplomatic immunity goes, every country, or at least every power is extremely sensitive about it and defends it with all possible means.

Protesting takes you only so far. One needs to teach the other what one's level of tolerance is. Usually if some country asks a diplomat to leave, there is a quick response from the other side too which also expels a similar number of diplomats. On the question of diplomatic immunity there is zero scope for accepting discrimination. India needs to to send the message which is unambiguous. It has to include harassment of some dependent of some American diplomat. Take someone into custody, and Americans will get the message loud and clear!

But if India vacillates here, these violations from the American side will continue. And mind you, these violations of dignity of Indian diplomats and their dependents, visiting Indian officials, etc. each one of these violations is used to drive in an American message into Indians - that it is not our aukat to stand up to them. We Indians understand the concept of aukat, but when it comes to relations with Western countries, often we set aside what we know from Indian society, and embrace the Westerners glibly and naively as morally superior societies where such concepts are not entertained.

Far from it, these are concepts with which one group shows to the other, that they are superior! Sometimes that message is given in a roundabout way of high-standing, and preaching about Indian poverty, and sometimes the message is delivered in a ham-handed way, like the Americans are doing with their molest and harass tactics.

The way to treat Westerners is with politeness and extraordinary firmness for any transgression either through critique or through retaliation.
Excellent post Rajesh. Sorry modes for quoting the whole post but forgive me because the post is so good it had to be quoted again and again.
I gave similar arguments to my cousin brother last year after heated discussion started following the public humiliation of former president of India in his own country by american airlines staff.My blood was boiling to put it mildly.
I slightly disagree with you on the last point . critique won't work only retaliation will
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Brookings Plans to Launch India Centers in US, India.

Acknowledging the increased geopolitical importance of India, the Washington, DC based Brookings Institute, widely thought of as the leading US think tank on international relations, has launched a Brookings India Initiative and hopes to raise funds to establish an India center in Washington and a staffed Brookings India Center in New Delhi.

Former US ambassador to Israel Martin Indyk, vice president and foreign policy director at Brookings, told India-West at the recent TiE conference here in May that the 96-year-old institute hopes to highlight India's emergence as a major power and "raise the profile of India in Washington."

Indyk served as assistant secretary of state for Near Eastern affairs and special assistant to the president, and senior director for Near East and South Asia at the National Security Council during the Clinton administration.

His latest book is "Innocent Abroad: An Intimate Account of American Peacemaking Diplomacy in the Middle East."

"We hope to bring our scholars to Delhi to help India (in areas) like health, education and (modernization of) metro areas," Indyk said, adding that the BIC would aim to become a platform for cutting-edge, independent research and analysis.

Only China, among the other Asian countries, currently has a similar dual center program at Brookings. The Brookings-Tsinhua Center for Public Policy was established in 2006 in Beijing.

Other programs sponsored under the Brookings India Initiative would include conferences in Washington and India, India-focused publications and an India Initiative home page on the Brookings Web site.

Brookings' India Initiative is concentrating on three areas: global diplomacy, regional security and U.S.-India strategic relations; world trade and finance; and economic development.

Initiative scholars will include Brookings president and former U.S. deputy secretary of state Strobe Talbott, and senior fellows Stephen P. Cohen (who has just published "Arming without Aiming: Indian Military Modernization"), Eswar Prasad, Bruce Riedel, Barry Bosworth, Charles Ebinger and Michael O'Hanlon, as well as nonresident senior fellows Arvind Panagariya and Urjit Patel.

Brookings said in a project summary that it would staff the center with Indian nationals and "help train a new generation of Indian scholars in the methodology of independent policy research."

Brookings has also formed an advisory council for the initiative composed of prominent Indian and U.S. business and community leaders. The council hopes to leverage networks to increase the impact of the initiative in both countries.

In a recent appointment, Brooking has added Rajan Mittal, vice chairman and managing director of Bharti Enterprises, to its board of trustees. He is the only Indian on Brookings' governing board.

"I am delighted to join the distinguished ranks of the Brookings board of trustees at a time when it is looking at globalizing its work and strengthening presence in India," Mittal said in a statement.

A graduate of the Harvard Business School, Mittal is a former president of Indian trade organization FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry).

Mittal "represents the best standards and values of the private sector in this increasingly globalized world," Talbott said. "In addition to his acumen and energy as a businessman, he has demonstrated an admirable commitment to the public good and to philanthropy."

"We've already spent considerable time in India talking with the private sector to form a founders' group to provide seed funding for the Initiative," Indyk told India-West on the sidelines at TiE.

He added that Brookings officials have had a favorable reaction from high levels of Indian government leaders for the weight Brookings plans to commit to US-India relations.
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

great....we have bodies funded by GOTUS setting up branches in India....influencing opinions and making links and friendships with Indian leadership....
this is bad, imvho. India needs to have her own institutions and high level bodies like this instead of borrowing our thinking from US imperialist bodies.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Well Indian officials fills its own institutions with relatives and parking lot for supreceded bureaucrats so that the institutions remain useless.

IDSA was developed by KS garu to become an Indian institution like Chatham House. And it was in the begining. Now its more like a huge records repository which periodically regurgitates literature surveys.

I have not seen one policy recommendation paper form IDSA. Its all literature surveys like amateur first year MA students. Typically 27-50 pages with all the refs printed at end to bulk it up. Early on one could access them for free and read. Now they subcontracted the archives to Routledge who wants money for those surveys.

They can keep it.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Published on Jun 06, 2011
By Bruce Riedel
Russian Roulette in South Asia: The National Interest
Last week Indian and Pakistani negotiators met to try to resolve the issue and demilitarize the glacier. Prime Ministers Manmahon Singh and Syed Yousef Raza Gilani agreed to resume the negotiations, suspended after the Mumbai terror attack in November 2008, earlier in the spring. But the talks could not resolve a key issue: how to ensure that both sides would not cheat after withdrawing their forces and rush troops back onto the glacier sometime in the future. Since both have a habit of cheating on the Kashmir front it is no idle fear.

The answer is to put a neutral force on the glacier. The South Asia Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) should deploy a couple of hundred armed Gurkha troops from Nepal or the British army to police the ice and serve as a trip wire against cheating. India and Pakistan would pay for it and provide logistical support. The United Nations Security Council would pass a resolution endorsing the SAARC force and committing to support it if either side violated the deal. The United States would separately promise to use its national technical-intelligence capabilities and satellite imagery to further monitor the area. { :rotfl: This guy has almost as much hot air as me with his wild solutions! :rotfl: }

Ending the Siachen madness, a war for a frozen wasteland, makes sense on its own merits but it could also begin a process of conflict resolution that could move south to Kashmir proper. It would give the nascent Indo-Pakistani dialogue some momentum. This small start could begin a larger process. It would energize SAARC, which has never lived up to its potential as a regional organization. It might start a peace process for a subcontinent. The alternative is to wait for the next round of Russian roulette in South Asia.
Bruce Riedel, you are a living reincarnation of some fcuked up Pakistani surely, all the time trumpeting Paki interests, so that those terrorist pigs would at last do some little tiny weeny little bit service to the Americans for all the billions they have taken from you!

With China in PoK, Siachen has become an immovable piece of Indian land! Pakistan has ceased to be the primary driver for our strategic calculations on Siachen!
sukhish
BRFite

Post by sukhish »

This guy is a hopeless. U.S is full of these ass*** holes.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

RajeshA wrote:Published on Jun 06, 2011
By Bruce Riedel
My comment:
It is a pity that there are influential Americans who have such a short-term focus on the issue and are unable to see the broader picture.Bruce Riedel is intent on appeasing Pakistanis by bartering away Indian land and Indian strategic interests. Bruce Riedel has ended up becoming simply a Pakistani mouth-piece.

The Pakistanis have taken $ 20 billion from USA and delivered USA almost nothing in return except for American political captivity in Afghanistan becoming themselves the prison-wards. The Pakistanis are responsible for so much of American blood and treasure, but still guys like Bruce Riedel hold out hope against hope that the terrorist state of Pakistan would give USA something in return, some straw, something to hold on to, some way to save some of American pride in Afghanistan. Pakistan is not going to deliver on anything.

In the meantime, guys like Bruce Riedel work incessantly to ensure that the Indians get so riled up against Americans, that the gains in trust of the last decade go waste, and America loses even India as a reliable partner for dealing with the upcoming challenges of Jihadi terror and Chinese hegemony in Asia.

With China in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, Siachen has become an immovable piece of Indian land! Pakistan has ceased to be the primary driver for our strategic calculations on Siachen! The mood has changed, and the Indian security establishment would never allow Siachen to be bargained away!

Pakistanis would of course keep on pushing Americans to bring up these issues of their rivalry with India and tell Americans that if they push India to accept Pakistani terms, Pakistanis would be a lot more flexible with America. This is all hogwash. America does not have the power to make Indians give up Indian land. Any effort by Americans on this score would only create undue tension with India and USA would gain nothing.

Bruce Riedel is in fact hurting American interests!
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

McDermott a good pick for India ambassador?
The Washington State India Trade Relations Action Committee (WASITRAC) believes that Congressman Jim McDermott is the best man to replace Roemer. WASITRAC is calling all Asian and Indian Americans, as well as others who have an interest in India, to support a public petition to the president to consider McDermott for the position of U.S. Ambassador to India. There are currently 43 signatures and counting. :
:
At first glance, McDermott may not seem like the most likely candidate for the job. However, he has shown consistent interest in India, visiting more than 22 times over the last 30 years. He also accompanied President Bill Clinton and Speaker Nancy Pelosi on their first visits to India.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

RajeshA wrote: Published on Jun 06, 2011
By Bruce Riedel

The reason for inserting UN troops in Siachen is to get into the game in the region where PRC troops, Pakistan and India are going to be players.
Now US has only access to this area by visiting the Indian side geo graphy and checking it out.

If they have to tilt the conflict to their advantage then they need to insert themselves inside the game.
The last 30 years of geo political play has made sure that India, China and Pakistan are players in the border region but US has been left out. Till now US was benefiting from the conflict but from now US will be left out and the game will be played by the three players and outcome will be agreed by the three players.

US policy from 1960 on the region has reduced India' policy options very much with its neighbors. This is now going to change.
More and more we will see US and its foreign policy trying to insert themselves into conflict borders to make sure that they are in the play and they get the advantage. If India is able to get the advantage that will reduce US influence in the foreign policy of India and Indian policy will be most independent policy after 1947
Manny
BRFite

Post by Manny »

I liked all the three comments on that Reidal article. Very well put!
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

[url=mms://OSHEAN-HELIX.oshean.org/nwc/Address%20From%20Mr%20Walt.wmv]The Twilight of the American Era (Video)[/url]

Summary

Some other videos from the U. S. Naval War College
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

after watching the video, I think this is what he wants:

1. India is an obedient client which engages PRC as, when, and how the US dictates.
2. Pak is the obedient dog which keeps screwing India, just to make sure that India doesn't get too lofty...
3. Axe will fall on Israel.

basically, this is what "Offshore balancing" is about. India should aim for nothing more than a regional role, opposing PRC whenever US wants. that is India's role, if they have their way.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

They want the old British Empire but with self willing fools. They hope a bone here and there will induce the elite to march up the hill or down the hill as the Duke of York wills it.

--What a joke. This guy thinks he is realist! All he is advocating is the old balance of power strategy that Great Britain adopted vis a vis Europe till end of Napoleon. The US also did that in WWI when it waited till 1917 to intervene on side of the Allies but walked away when they realized the needs of Empire. US post WII power was due to unique setoff circumstances. The same happened after end FSU. Yet US squandered it by backing jihadis to remake Central Asia and Balkanise India.
Didnt happen.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Talk about making enemies; Riedel can masturbate as much as he can for only hawa will come out but swear to god 10 years down the line when we will have a true blue water navy with SSBNs armed with 10k km range SLBMs with MIRV capability these rats won't dare to write such crap.
Moreover looks like Mushy Gubo'd to him for Riedel is showing similar symptoms of kamndu tactical brilliance as machod Musharraf when he talks about military intervention in Siachin.
Last edited by negi on 12 Jun 2011 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

well raining in nagastra is not a bad option at all.. it can't be treated like a chemical weapon, when say we release about 1000s of cobras parachuted down on a battalion. though, many would think half of these cobras may die, but think about the shake and awe value!?
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

VinodTK wrote:McDermott a good pick for India ambassador?
The Washington State India Trade Relations Action Committee (WASITRAC) believes that Congressman Jim McDermott is the best man to replace Roemer. WASITRAC is calling all Asian and Indian Americans, as well as others who have an interest in India, to support a public petition to the president to consider McDermott for the position of U.S. Ambassador to India. There are currently 43 signatures and counting. :
:
At first glance, McDermott may not seem like the most likely candidate for the job. However, he has shown consistent interest in India, visiting more than 22 times over the last 30 years. He also accompanied President Bill Clinton and Speaker Nancy Pelosi on their first visits to India.
It's all about who has Obama's ear and whose calls he'll take directly.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

I read Reidel's article and the immediate reaction was very negative. It was ==, those battling monkeys can't do it themselves etc. On the second take, I realized that it was simply a very poorly written article--done in a hurry to meet some internal quota (publish/perish). He's harping on the lack of trust between India and Pakistan --i.e. the fear that the other side might swoop in in to take the heights.

That is not the fundamental issue with Siachen. The IA has insisted on the Pakis signing a line of actual control agreement based on existing positions. The Pakis have refused because it means freezing the status quo.

Reidel misses this key point. It's not about a peace keeping force, it's about the Pakis unwilling to accept status quo. I'm not defending Reidel rather saying that this is one the guys holding out his mitt under the India Centers proposal by Brookings. Donors should ask him to up his game and convince them that he knows what he's talking about.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

There are multiple power plays being played out here... Bruce Riedel is floating a balloon. what is surprising is that he is suggesting something radical at the very outset, not as a graduated approach. Reidel is stating an end game and not an opening move or is it really the opening move.. i shudder to think about an end-game. The current J&K situation also started with an UN force for monitoring the ceasefire line.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Cosmo_R, Those donors are the TiEcoons. Are you certain they are not fronting for US interests by pushing for BI centers in India?

Cheenum, He wants to interject into the area officially. Its already three party India, TSP and PRC. US is defacto with TSP and A P Hurriyat Conference.

After India went to UN in 1948, the set up UNMOGIP with a US officer Adm Nimitz leading it. All it did was record Paki complaints and ingore Indian ones*. After 1971 India stopped taking cases to them as result of Simla Agreement.

This Reidel proposal is a back to future!

Maybe a sign of desperation of things going bad somewhere after Abortabad and Mehran?

* Can verify from UN Website.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Actually speaking, pakis will turn out slowly to be weakest link.. watch couple of more bombings happen against their mil establishments /however it may not since, the khans have actually finished their priority job with obl.

Now, clinton's visit and further bum pally attitude would mean that they do a reverse damage control, as learned from pakis... Even the pakis came to some reality check, as to counting the % of AQ terror regiments within paki army.

We need to keep pushing unkill to round up more of those %iles and turn them to Guantanamo or similar place.. or have drones ops conducted regularly. Our political community must engage the lobbyists to be on their drone thoughts.

Keep unkil engaged on this effort and focus on what we want, and ignore to unkill's requests purely on value systems. This is actually a better process in the sense, two mangoes with one stone that we can correct many other home grown bad processes and elements from niche areas.

Again, it is a big effort.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Henry Kissinger was interviewed on BookTV After Words segment by Monica Crowley of Fox news. After the whole interview, she asked what is the biggest challenge in the future? He said some stuff but what he last caught my ear. He said it was important for the world system to appear just or countries wont opt in and will pull it down.

Something the US should think about while protecting the TSP terror apparatus.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

ramana wrote: He said it was important for the world system to appear just or countries wont opt in and will pull it down.

Something the US should think about while protecting the TSP terror apparatus.
Dictators and military regime have a different system. The hypocracy is too evident.
Else they can stop pretending and show what they are
UBanerjee
BRFite

Post by UBanerjee »

Frankly India needs to come up with an actual road map for the end-game in POK and J&K that can head off these US trial balloons.

India has a responsibility to create its own vision for the region and enforce it whether through the international order or unilaterally. Currently what is the vision? Status quoism and hoping to appease the native population over the long term. Not good enough. One possibility is demographic replacement; yet this has been actively thwarted and blocked and weakened as an option.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

we can talk about UN or US in Siachen, etc. - but frankly, given that the only way to get there is via the main participants in the game - its going to be next to impossible for anyone to actually intervene. is anyone else going to spend the cash building up logistics for a siachen peace keeping force?

i don't think so
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

I fit right in as a Hindu chaplain in the US military’
Most Indians in America are techies, finance jocks, lawyers or doctors. But psychology graduate Pratima Dharm immigrated from Mumbai to the US just months before 9/11 and did something fairly uncommon. She spent two years earning a Masters in Theology and training in a Protestant seminary, when a phone call from the US Army in 2006 caught her by surprise.
At that time, there was no Hindu military chaplain program. This year, the Chinmaya Mission West in Washington, saw Dharm’s potential to be a Hindu chaplain. Once it backed her, Dharm conveyed her interest, and the Army moved quickly to establish the Hindu program. She was appointed in May as the US military’s first Hindu chaplain.
I started out as a Captain and a chaplain. The training I received was at a Protestant Christian seminary. Those were the options until I came to the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington and we had a Hindu organization that was ready to sponsor me. All chaplains have to be sponsored by a religious organization that the army selects as an endorsing agency. That is how I transitioned to becoming a Hindu chaplain.
Why did you become a chaplain instead of just serving like the other 1,000 Hindu members in the US Army?
Since you are part-priest, part-spiritual advisor, did the Chinmaya Mission have any hesitation endorsing a female candidate?
They were wonderfully supportive. I believe women are just as empowered as men. It’s not that I am a great adherent of the women’s lib movement. I just believe the role of women in the Vedas if you read them is equal. Women read the scriptures in the old days. I love the way they actually support that women are equally called by God to be the best they can be.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Krsna ji, wrt the above you might find this interesting: A Hindu US Army man's blog on his trips to the battle zone. It's a very nicely written blog really.

http://rajivsrinivasan.wordpress.com/
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

harbans wrote:Krsna ji, wrt the above you might find this interesting: A Hindu US Army man's blog on his trips to the battle zone. It's a very nicely written blog really.

http://rajivsrinivasan.wordpress.com/
thanks harbans.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

ramana wrote:Cosmo_R, Those donors are the TiEcoons. Are you certain they are not fronting for US interests by pushing for BI centers in India?

Couple of points: This initiative is driven by the fact that only China currently has such centers and the PRC was very much for them. PRC rationale is/was that they get attention commensurate with their sense of self importance. They did not view this a front for US interests. But the very fact that BI is set up to further US interests obviously makes the Centers a front. The question the PRC grandees then addressed was: "Is that bad?" My guess is that the PRC thought that on balance having BI Centers as another full duplex communications channel (scholarly work is always "on the one hand and then...on the other"), was worth it. I think that is that the way India should look at it too. I think they will also serve to buildup a true Academic+ Political + Military strategic community in India. Why cede the space to JNU and leftist types?

Second, the TIE view will be that if the BI Centers serve to improve, institutionalize and deepen US-India interaction at the strategic community level, that it's a good thing. If you mean they might knowingly 'front' to further the US agenda at the expense of India, IMVH, you'd be wrong.

Lastly, again IMVHO, we should tie (no pun) ourselves to PRC status wise at every opportunity (not just BI). They want to be alone the pedestal -- we should not let them.
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

I think the news about the female chaplain is an important event. I hope the HAF folks use it the next time the California text-books come for review.