Pakistani Economic Stress Watch

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Re: Pakistani Economic Stress Watch

Post by Aditya_V »

That would beideal, but unfortunately there is very poor Historical precedent and a small minority but powerful people in this nation are are trying to weaken elephants and feed to the starving Jackals(a term more appropriate for Pakis), these Parasites need to be dewormed so that the Jackal can be properly dealt with.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Always a pleasure to post in this thread onleee :twisted:

Rising Inflation: Demo against price hike in Mirpur

All the makings of a failed state, societal riots!
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

“The next IMF package is written on the wall, the only question is when it will be approved,” :

New programme?: Mounting foreign debt may need IMF’s helping hand
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

The old saw about the Islamic Republic of Pakistan only exporting Textiles and Terrorism may be heading for a change:

Pakistan’s City of Looms Turns Silent as Gas Outages Shut Mills

Meanwhile Gas is not the only source of energy that is causing takleef by being in short supply in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan:

Irate mob torches KESC office
Manu
BRFite

Post by Manu »

Link
The children working the streets of Karachi

Ashiq wants to go to school and then join the army

Most of Pakistan's street children live in the teeming, southern city of Karachi. The latest estimate of numbers comes from 2005 when the UN said between 1.2 and 1.5 million children lived on Pakistan's streets - but activists say their numbers are rising. The BBC's Syed Shoaib Hasan investigates.

I meet Ashiq, 10, as he is sifting through a mound of rubbish.

We are in a park in central Karachi - down the road from the mausoleum of Pakistan's founder, Mohammad Ali Jinnah.

This bright-eyed boy is willing to talk as he works - his slim young fingers clear a path through the dump.

Ashiq is a street child and a scavenger - he works as part of a group which operates in this area.

He is also part of a pattern dismaying charities and social activists here, who say that the number of children on the streets is increasing by the day.

Most of them start like Ashiq who works up to seven hours a day in the blistering heat. He stops and shows me his bag of pickings from the day.

"I collect plastic bottles," he says, "and other things I can sell on to be recycled."

It earns him about a 100 rupees a day ($1; 70p).

Ashiq admits it is hard work but he also says he is happy with life.

"I get money at the end of the day," he says, "and I use my earnings to buy biscuits."

He earnestly maintains that he doesn't take drugs - unlike many other street children. Social workers from the Azad Foundation - a charity that works with such children - confirm this.

Ashiq's eyes sparkle when I ask him what he would really like to do. "I want to play football and cricket with the other children in the park," he says softly.

"But people say we are dirty, they chase us away. It makes me feel bad."

Ashiq also says that he wants to go to school: "I want to join the army when I grow up," he says.

Ashiq has only been on the streets a few weeks now. He ran away from home after being repeatedly beaten by his father. He says he is happier here as he has enough to eat and gets whatever he wants - demands his poverty-stricken father could not fulfil.

Waiting for food

Deprivation is the biggest reason forcing parents to abandon such children or compelling children to leave home.

The number of children on Karachi's streets is on the rise, activists say
On the streets there is plenty to eat, as was evident when I visit Karachi's most famous Abdullah Shah Ghazi Sufi shrine.

Here restaurants financed by wealthy Pakistanis distribute free food such as chicken biryani and mutton pilau.

Most of those waiting were children - some couldn't have been older than five or six years old. Milling around with plastic bags, they jostled with grown-ups to get their share. It is a fight that they are not ready for - but have no choice because they have been thrown into it.

They appear safe here but outside on the streets great dangers await. Most of the children are picked up and recruited into gangs within a few weeks. Others are forced to become commercial sex workers.

Rana Asif - who runs the Centre for Street Children charity - puts the blame for this on the government: "Police are not providing protection to children," he says.

"But it is providing protection to criminals and abusers. They have their own interests and get financial benefit through children's activities.

"And they're getting cuts from criminal gangs. That's why police are not helping these children."

Other local charities and social activists confirm this view. They say that it is not just criminal gangs targeting these kids - jihadi groups also scour the streets looking for easy recruits.

The police themselves deny these allegations.

"There are occasional cases of some low-ranking officials being involved," a senior officer told the BBC on condition of anonymity.

"But these people are usually caught and punished."

Officially, police maintain that they don't have enough resources to provide adequate protection for the children.

There is some help out there, though - the Azad Foundation runs a centre to teach girls skills to keep them off the streets. Reading, writing and basic arithmetic are all part of the course.

Sniffing glue

Yasmin, 10, is drawing a big yellow sun when we meet her. Her father is a heroin addict and forces her to wash cars and beg on the street to fund his habit.

Some girls her age have already been forced into prostitution. There are other cruel fates awaiting these vulnerable children.

In another park a few kilometres from where Ashiq works, a group of boys huddle together. As the call for prayers rings out, they tighten their circle. It is only when I am right next to them that I see they are sniffing at dirty clothes dipped in strong glue.

Irfan, 19, is one of the gang. He tells me that he has been on the streets since he was seven.

"I steal and take drugs, " he tells me. "When I sniff glue my mind becomes numb and I am happy all the time.

"I do want to leave the streets, but I don't think that will ever happen now."

The same pessimism is shared by the majority of street children. Because their young lives are twisted by abuse and neglect, few last as long as Irfan.

Most will die before their 18th birthday.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the TSP thread.

Madrassah Math causes the need for GDP in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan to take a large hit.

The size of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan’s economy will shrink by up to PKR 2.5 trillion, or roughly 10%of GDP :roll: :

Double-counting: GDP overestimated, may be slashed by 10%
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

arun wrote:X Posted from the TSP thread.

Madrassah Math causes the need for GDP in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan to take a large hit.

The size of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan’s economy will shrink by up to PKR 2.5 trillion, or roughly 10%of GDP :roll: :

Double-counting: GDP overestimated, may be slashed by 10%
This effectively puts Paki economy back by around three years considering a compounded annual growth rate of about 3%, witnessed in Pakistan in the last few years.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

This effectively puts Paki economy back by around three years
err..actually maybe more. Considering 7% growth registered in Musharaff era, we possibly on a reverse compound basis could be looking at a Paki economy that could be almost half it's present designated size..
since all key economic indicators – like the debt-to-GDP ratio, the budget deficit and economic growth – were reported on an inflated GDP size for at least ten years.
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

You mean all that diarrhoea during musharaff era was actually constipation? I think there is a term for it in medicine- overflow diarrhoea
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

This is typically the Musharaff era of 400% growth onlee..
The ‘double-counting’ surfaced after Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS) rebased the economy, shifting the base year for calculations from fiscal 1999-00 to 2005-06.

The rebasing has reduced the size of the economy, earlier assessed to be Rs21 trillion, to less than Rs19 trillion, said an official of the finance ministry.
When India did it's rebasing the GDP size increased dramatically because newer industries not accounted in earlier base year models were included. China did a base year revision IIRC in 2005, when there was a major spurt in it's GDP. 2004 to 2007 Chinese GDP jumped some 2.5 times it's size. Shrinking of GDP despite base year revision indicates shrinking of the economy during the Musharaff era. Means they have not added any industrial or goods and services production. Railways have not been running for months, Aircrafts crash at altitudes of 1500 feet AGL, people cannot pay electricity boards that in turn cannot pay gas suppliers and they in turn cannot the gas producers. Hence the desperateness of Bakshisistan...
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

Can someone please help me understand this anomaly?

Pakistan’s forex reserves rise to $16.6 billion

about a year ago, their forex was close to $7-8bil.. now its doubled?!?! is this some madrassa maths or did they hit the jackpot somewhere?
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

harbans wrote:When India did it's rebasing the GDP size increased dramatically because newer industries not accounted in earlier base year models were included. China did a base year revision IIRC in 2005, when there was a major spurt in it's GDP. 2004 to 2007 Chinese GDP jumped some 2.5 times it's size. Shrinking of GDP despite base year revision indicates shrinking of the economy during the Musharaff era. Means they have not added any industrial or goods and services production. Railways have not been running for months, Aircrafts crash at altitudes of 1500 feet AGL, people cannot pay electricity boards that in turn cannot pay gas suppliers and they in turn cannot the gas producers. Hence the desperateness of Bakshisistan...
Please dont insult our neighbours. They are not desperate. They just have issues allocating money, the nukes are increasing in number.. the military is getting its toys, the forex reserves are rising (see previous post).. there is money. Didnt someone say (regarding their nukes) that they would rather starve and build nukes than feed their people? They are holding true to their word. Respect !

PS- Incase you didnt get it, I was being sarcastic
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Even though I don't watch , the pakistani economy I did spend my early morning toilet time attempting to get a ballpark estimate on the size of the Paki economy..I estimate that it is only 100-150 billion USD in size.. About half the official value of 200b..

Let me attempt giving some data points..Even though the comparison is laughable , lets try and compare it with India :)) which is 2T officially at present ..

India produce 70 times (yup) as much steel as TSP does .. And about 10 times as much cement (cement is one of the rare industry in which TSP manages to reach 1/10th of the Indian size)..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... production
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... production

India manufactures 30 times as many motor vehicles as pakistan ASSEMBLES .. Motor vehicle industry in Pakistan is largely limited to assembling Completely knocked down units . (CKDS)..Most popular are japanese companies like toyota and suzuki..

http://oica.net/category/production-statistics/

Pakistan rail ( :rotfl:) does not even compare to MUMBAI LOCAL ..

per wiki

Mumbai local
The Mumbai Suburban Railway (Marathi: मुंबई उपनगरीय रेल्वे) is a mass transit system serving the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. It is part of the public transport system of Mumbai, is provided for by the state-run Indian Railways' two zonal Western Railways and Central Railways. The system carries more than 7.24 million commuters on a daily basis
pakistani rail
Daily, PR carries an average of 178,000 people
In a nutshell MUMBAI LOCAL carries 60 times the number of passengers as Pakistani rail.. ergo Mumbai local carries more passengers in 30 minutes than the entire pakistani railways in the whole day ...Imagine how ridiculous the comparison between IR and PR could get .. :)

India produces 15 times as much electricity as Pakistan does ..

If you look at the service sector the disparities are even more massive .. I don't even want to go into the data .. :evil:

In agriculture the comparison is less ridiculous.. total wheat + rice production in pakistan is 8 times less than India.

Human development wise , Pk has figures worse than subsaharan africa.. There obviously shanghaied literacy rate is 54%..How they measured is a mystery .considering the fact that they have not had a census since god knows when..actual literacy may be closer to 30% ..

Whatever little economic activity that is present in Pakistan is financed by repatriation of foreign exchange from abroad , alms from KSA , baksheesh from wb/imf and unkil.Besides export of wheat , cement (yes!) and interesting leather implements I posted a video of in the TSP dhaga...

In a nutshell TSP economy can't be greater than 1/20th of India.. It would be around 100-150 b at the most ...Which is less than Bombay..:(( (total consumption stats of entire TSP however don't even match bombay which has 1/25th the population..

@SHonu Increase in TSP foreign exchange could have been loans from IMF+ repatriation of money by non resident poaqroaches ..
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

gakakkad wrote:India produces 15 times as much electricity as Pakistan does ..
pakis have done a remarkable propaganda jobs with even this much electricity. The whole comparison prism can not be so much biased when the realities could be effectively different.

Where is India effectively in the eyes of 3.5 'partners'? Nowhere at all, you see not comparable at all. pakis are the defenders of faith and are strong(numerically too) allies, also note opportune aid to various middle-east powers in terms of manpower, etc. There lies the crux of the problem onlee.

The comparison idea is too narrow perhaps. Difficult to ignore the superpowers that are allies and friends for decades. The paki capabilities perhaps cover the whole middle east as well.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

vishvak ,saar , My post was in response to the preceeding discussion on the TSP GDP . Harbans rightly conjectured the TSP GDP to be half its stated size. My intent was to merely provide a data point to support his statement.

>>Where is India effectively in the eyes of 3.5 'partners'? Nowhere at all

Au contraire , India is everywhere in there eyes. For China Japan and the US (2.5) India is effectively a peer country . While TSP is at best a condom . For Saudi , India is a large market of cru oil. While TSP is just a begger. Bliss to note ,that I am not saying that 3.5 have been faultless in dealing with Pak .. I am well aware of American culpability in letting Paks get the atim-bum ..Nor am I sating that China rejoices having India as a peer country..I am merely saying , that they are well aware of our importance and capabilities ..

Pakee propaganda has hardly worked as well as one might believe . I have travelled a lot throughout the world. Indians are respected everywhere. While Pakees , :) are loathed everywhere .. Everyone looks at them suspiciously .. So much for a propaganda that works..

However ,pakee propoganda did get to us.. Many Indians still consider Paki to be in the same league as India ..While many like me , are aware that , the realities are different ..

And I did not intend to compare India and pak by providing the stats ... the comparison is beyond futile ... I merely attempted to provide a data point that can be used for a rough estimation of Paki GDP... Using some Indian stats as a benchmark , made the calculations easier..Besides making it easier for the reader to comprehend..

If you put ,nukes out of the equation paki can be dismantled piecemeal ..
member_23007
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23007 »

My inaugural post prompted by gakakkad ji's claim on power generation capacity in Pakistan. I think 15 times is a wildly exaggerated estimate. India has an installed capacity of approximately 180 GW and the corresponding figure for Pakistan is about 19 GW - effectively 9.5 times more.

I am always keen on power generation figure because it's one of the most reliable indicator of economic activity within a country. There's relatively little scope of statistical deception vis-a-vis other socio-economic indicators where Pakistanis have proven themselves to be unreliable.

The power disparity also accurately reflects the difference in our respective GDPs.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

I am always keen on power generation figure because it's one of the most reliable indicator of economic activity within a country.
Welcome to BRF Ashish..however for power deficit countries like India, power generation figures alone in comparison with another country like Pakistan would not be enough. Most if not all industries in India have their own power generation capability. These run on gas, diesel mostly. Thus if one wants to really put 2 countries in perspective wrt to power generation one must include gas, diesel consumption figures into the perspective. Consumption differences which thus affect production will be thus much higher than the 9.5 times if we take that into account.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Ashish S wrote:My inaugural post prompted by gakakkad ji's claim on power generation capacity in Pakistan. I think 15 times is a wildly exaggerated estimate. India has an installed capacity of approximately 180 GW and the corresponding figure for Pakistan is about 19 GW - effectively 9.5 times more.

I am always keen on power generation figure because it's one of the most reliable indicator of economic activity within a country. There's relatively little scope of statistical deception vis-a-vis other socio-economic indicators where Pakistanis have proven themselves to be unreliable.

The power disparity also accurately reflects the difference in our respective GDPs.
well , there TIC is more like 12-13 GW .. Many of their plants are not producing as much power as they claim to ..the electricity demand is only 13.5gw..yet they have power cuts..

http://pakistaniat.com/2009/01/06/elect ... -pakistan/

"The demand for electricity in Pakistan during the winter months actually goes down and this winter has not been an exception. Throughout the month of December, the electricity consumption in Pakistan hovered around 11,000 MW, down from the peak levels of 17,500 MW seen in summer. This demand was well within the installed capacity of WAPDA & KESC yet they were only generating a meager one third (6500MW) of their maximum capacity during this period leaving a huge gap between supply and demand. Their are two main reasons for this:"

due to lack of money Pakis are only producing 6.5 GW per the above news article.. that is 1/30th of what we produce ...That must be true because , they have 20 hour power cuts in spite the low demand..

India will be adding at least 20 gw this year it self..which itself is more than the official total capacity of pakistan and 3 times as much as what they actually produce ...

>>The power disparity also accurately reflects the difference in our respective GDPs.

the disparity in the GDP is even more than what is reflected by their power capacity.. and disparity is growing..
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Welcome to BRF Ashish..however for power deficit countries like India, power generation figures alone in comparison with another country like Pakistan would not be enough. Most if not all industries in India have their own power generation capability. These run on gas, diesel mostly.
very true sir...But if those figures are taken into account , Indian GDP far surpasses its official figures...

as I showd above pakistan is merely generating 6.5 gw power these days ..And it spite of the paltry demand of 12-12 gw there are 20 hour power cuts..so 19 gw is a gross overstatement..
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Also by power consumption India consumes some 107 Watts/ person, Pakistan consumes 44. Much less than half. If Paki GDP is fudged to be 80% of India per GDP, this would imply by power alone it's real GDP to be yes around half it's presently stated one as we have conjectured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... onsumption
Last edited by harbans on 29 Apr 2012 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Ashish S wrote:My inaugural post prompted by gakakkad ji's claim on power generation capacity in Pakistan. I think 15 times is a wildly exaggerated estimate. India has an installed capacity of approximately 180 GW and the corresponding figure for Pakistan is about 19 GW - effectively 9.5 times more.

India's installed capacity has crossed 200 GW. See here:

India’s installed power capacity crosses 2 lakh MW
member_23007
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23007 »

Thank you harbans. I am not sure the private power generation by industries would skew the ratio any further. Pakistan probably has a higher proportion of industrial units generating their own power. In absolute terms India's total oil consumption is perhaps 8 times higher than Pakistan. Pakistan's problem has been (also India's - as coal prices spiral upwards) not being able to generate power at its peak capacity and the corresponding domino effect - a lesser annual increase in demand than India.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Ashish S wrote:Thank you harbans. I am not sure the private power generation by industries would skew the ratio any further. Pakistan probably has a higher proportion of industrial units generating their own power. In absolute terms India's total oil consumption is perhaps 8 times higher than Pakistan. Pakistan's problem has been (also India's - as coal prices spiral upwards) not being able to generate power at its peak capacity and the corresponding domino effect - a lesser annual increase in demand than India.

that should reflect in there Industrial output right ? but it does not..there offical output is a mere 50billion ..(assuming 200b to be official, GDP 25% industry)..but there production of basic good and is not reflective of even a 50b output..

steel and cement consumption /production is an indicator of economic activity.Even though India is the 2nd largest cement producer it needs to import cement to meet its requirements ...

so even after that it would be a lot more skewed..pakistan hardly manufacture..

Pakees merely generate 1/3rd of capacity.. discrepancy of 10-20 % is understandable .. but such a huge discrepancy is not..
Last edited by gakakkad on 29 Apr 2012 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
member_23007
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23007 »

harbans wrote:Also by power consumption India consumes some 107 Watts/ person, Pakistan consumes 44. Much less than half. If Paki GDP is fudged to be 80% of India per GDP, this would imply by power alone it's real GDP to be yes around half it's presently stated one as we have conjectured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... onsumption
This list uses different years for India and Pakistan.

I checked World Bank's figures and it reflects the GDP disparity. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EG.USE.ELEC.KH.PC

India's per capita power consumption was about 1.3 times in 2009. An optimistic estimate in 2012 would be a difference of 1.4-1.5 times.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Pakistan is a remittance and Baksheesh economy. Per capita TSP receives 2-3 times the remittance that India does. The Baksheesh dollars are a relatively large sum for their economy.

Also per capita TSP emigrates 2-3 time higher percentage of population every year.

Pakistan power production is Hydel and gas. Gas is declining hence power declining. Hydel of course we know the situation from IWT tread.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

This list uses different years for India and Pakistan
there capacity has not increase over the years...so even the older data holds good..wiki not much older even.(its from 2008)..While India adds 20-30 gw every year ..Pakistan total Power capacity was 10.5gw in 80s and 90s.. has not increased much over the years..nor is it expected to..

Pakistan power production is Hydel and gas. Gas is declining hence power declining. Hydel of course we know the situation from IWT tread.
Can this be a sure sign of a massively recessional econ ?
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Another thing is the population of Pakistan. If I remember correctly according to latest census it is 192 mil.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

In my site it says info year is same. But anyways, another site on per cap power consumption for 2005 says Paki consumption 48 w/yr compared to India 50.4 W/yr. That would be the time Musharaff was orgasming on 400% growth and 100000000 Indian soldiers in Cashmere.

2005 Data:

http://www.enotes.com/topic/List_of_cou ... onsumption
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Shaukat Aziz (the economist) and Musharraf did bring a period of GDP growth to Pakistan which most economists wrote off as debt driven development which is not sustainable and causes long term fissures. Basically the chickens have come to roost now. Estimating GDP of India and Pakistan is a very difficult exercise given the vast size of the unreported/unorganized/black parts of their economies. I would say you can comfortably add 40% to the GDP and that would reflect the reality on the ground. Maybe the 180 billion dollar size of the Paki economy may have factored in the this? I am no economist so it can at best be speculation and the Gurus may kindly advise here.

Every time I see chaddi shivering in media about Chinese economy being 3 times as larger I take the figures they throw with a pinch of salt. The GDP numbers coming out of China definitely will be more than the actual size of the economy given how closely the CCP monitors numbers and uses it for performance tracking of the local CCP babus. The Chinese GDP figure will definitely have considered the black economy numbers. In India it is not. So I guess that the actual size of the Indian economy is around 3 trillion as against the 7.5 trillion of the Chinese economy. Add 200 million more population of the Chinese and you can be rest assured that Indian economy's current size differential with the Chinese economy can be easily explained with the late start we had vis-a-vis the Chinese. Us at 1991 versus theirs at 1978.

We currently are where the Chinese were at 2002-2003, so the 13 year lead they have on us still continues albeit we have in place a semblance of freedom and a democratic setup. The Chinese are still light years behind us on this front.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

saip wrote:Another thing is the population of Pakistan. If I remember correctly according to latest census it is 192 mil.
they have not had any sort of census since 1998...

And they are unlikely to have one this year itself ,even though 1 is scheduled..

http://latitude.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/ ... body-count

I fear that there population may have reached 250million already...
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

harbans wrote:In my site it says info year is same. But anyways, another site on per cap power consumption for 2005 says Paki consumption 48 w/yr compared to India 50.4 W/yr. That would be the time Musharaff was orgasming on 400% growth and 100000000 Indian soldiers in Cashmere.

2005 Data:

http://www.enotes.com/topic/List_of_cou ... onsumption
And Indias power capacity has doubled since then ..while Pakees have not added a MW to its capacity..they have if anything gone back..
member_23007
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23007 »

gakakkad wrote: there capacity has not increase over the years..While India adds 20-30 gw every year ..Pakistan total Power capacity was 10.5gw in 80s and 90s.. has not increased much over the years..nor is it expected to..
I agree that appetite for power - compared to us - is considerably less in Pakistan and annual capacity increment is even worse. But we've the WB data before us which confirms other macroeconomic indicators. It's not an indictment of Indian economy - per capita wise we were at par till early 2000s. Now we're talking about a per capita 1.5-1.6 times pakistan within a decade with all the challenges peculiar to India. This chasm should only widen if the two nation continue to perform as they have in the past 5 years. If we achieve a per capita GDP that is 3 times that of Pakistan by 2020, I'll be a happy man.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

^^ you ll be more than a happy man..India is growing at 15%+ CAGR ... do the math.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Here is a link on Pakistan's population. It is from Dawn but it quotes Times of India. According to it there are 192 million pigs + another 5 million uncounted = 197 mil!

http://dawn.com/2012/03/30/pakistans-po ... ince-1998/
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Theo i am not sure about the Baksheesh part but as far as remittances go, as per the latest figures last year India received $64 Billion and Pakistan got $12 Billion so per capita Pakistani remittances are not 2 to 3 times that of India.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ind ... 364431.ece
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

saip wrote:Here is a link on Pakistan's population. It is from Dawn but it quotes Times of India. According to it there are 192 million pigs + another 5 million uncounted = 197 mil!

http://dawn.com/2012/03/30/pakistans-po ... ince-1998/
The TOI article in turn is based on the Pakistani Newspaper "The News". The article in The News is here:

Population shoots up by 47 percent since 1998
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

WT-Pakhana? The Pajis were 180 million last year, now they are 195 million. When I joined PeeAref in 2006, the Pajis were 150 million. I think the polio drops conspiracy by Cee Eye Yeah has been counterproductive
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Pakis always inflated their GDP figures and deflated their population figures. That way they can always claim parity with India even when their GDP growth rate was only a third of India's. With this they have fooled IMF, the World Bank and others.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

^ And in our enthusiasm for Pappi Jhappi we want to give the lot a Visa on Arrival while the rest of the world shuts their immigration counters to them.. with BD we have already gone much further..no VOA, but ration card, voter ID and passport on arrival anywhere..8)
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

How come newspaper article Dated 30th march, lists Papistani population on the basis of census ,when their census is yet to finish ?

http://www.census.gov.pk/

Population & Housing Census : March/April 2012 (TENTATIVE)

As I said before , I ll not be terribly shocked , if there are 250 millions poaqroaches ...In fact , we should assume them to be a country undefined , landmass between Afghanistan ,Iran and India of 250m.