J&K News and Discussion-2011

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Re: J&K News and Discussion-2011

Post by Dipanker »

This swami is dubious one, blaming Amarnath yatra for the floods when it was mainly due to incessant rain and unchecked construction in low lying areas and flood plains.

Amarnath yatra a factor in Kashmir deluge, says Swami Agnivesh
New Delhi, Oct 25: Social activist and Hindu religious scholar Swami Agnivesh today said that the prolonged Amarnath yatra had a role in the unprecedented flood that recently hit the Valley. He said the yatra had adversely impacted the fragile environment in the upper reaches of Valley leading to the melting of the glaciers.
dada
BRFite

Post by dada »

Why occupation fails in Afghanistan but succeeds in Kashmir and Palestine !!!

an interesting view of a kashmiri
source : http://www.kashmirdispatch.com/columns/ ... estine.htm

kashmir insurgency management will be increasingly a mind game , which we have to win slowly & steadily.
sunnyP
BRFite

Post by sunnyP »

Zee TV cut this from their broadcast. Shameless and cowardly dhimmis.
Anupam Kher @AnupamPkher · 3 hrs 3 hours ago

Happy to be part of #UmmeedEKashmir initiative. But I am sad that the portion where I talk about the plight of Kashmiri Pandits was deleted.
[youtube]umFivySsFNc&app=desktop[/youtube]
Bollywood actor Anupam Kher says he is “astounded” by the censoring of his reference to the plight of Kashmiri Pandits in a programme on Zee television that was telecast today to raise awareness and resources for the devastating floods in Kashmir.

“We were talking about human suffering, about what happens when people are uprooted as has happened with the floods – in that context I raised the suffering of Kashmiri Pundits and I don’t see any contradiction in what I said,” Kher told The News Minute (TNM) in an exclusive interview. “Speaking about one tragedy does not take away from the other,” he added.

The programme entitled #UmmeedEkashmir had guests which included other Bollywood stars like Aamir Khan and Farhan Akhtar.

“What makes it worse is that I had informed the producers of the programme that I would be reading a small portion from the book “Our Moon has Blood Clots” (by journalist Rahul Pandita) which detailed the terrible events that occurred 24 years ago,” he added.

The Kashmiri Pundits are an exiled community that has not been able to return home due to political instability and Hindu-Muslim riots in the valley. Kashmir is one of India’s deepest wounds, one that has evaded a political solution due to commission and omission by India’s political leaders playing to the galleries.

Kher said he was given eight minutes to speak and he spoke for nine. But, the programme clipped just the portions where he reads from the book. “It was very clumsy,” he said. At the time of writing it is not clear if the editing was done by the producers of the programme or Zee Television.

The actor has tweeted his interview which includes the edited portions. “If Vishal Bharadwaj can film a devil’s dance sequence on the Martand temple dedicated to the sun god and if that goes uncensored by the department of archeology as well as the film censor board what are we talking about – can someone film a similar dance sequence on a masjid?” asked Kher who is not known for mincing his words. That reference is to the film Haider which is shot in the Martand Temple in Kashmir dedicated to the Sun God.
http://www.thenewsminute.com/news_sections/1790
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the STFUP thread.

Then UN Secretary General Kofi Annan’s comments on the limited UN role in Jammu & Kashmir and on the limited efficacy of UN Security Council resolution on J&K. Comments made during his visit to the Indian Sub-Continent in March 2001.

Useful history to brush up now that the Islamic Republic of Pakistan has gone whinging to the UN given India’s disproportionate retaliation to provocations on the IB and LoC:
Press encounter on arrival in Islamabad, 10 March, 2001 (unofficial transcript)

Good Evening, Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am very, very pleased to be here in Pakistan on my first visit as Secretary-General. …………………..

I also expect that the Pakistani authorities will raise the issue of Kashmir. I would like to encourage progress in the relations between Pakistan and India, so important for the peoples of both countries, who have so much in common. I call upon both countries to return to the spirit of the Lahore Declaration. This will require restraint, wisdom and constructive steps from both sides. In this connection, I will also be urging both countries to sign the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty as soon as possible.

We have much to discuss, and I look forward to using this opportunity to renew the bonds between Pakistan and the United Nations, and to make progress in the vital areas of peace and development. Thank you very much. I'll take some questions. ……………………

Q: Mr. Secretary-General, you have referred to Kashmir as a source of tension and I think you also referred to the Lahore Declaration. Will the UN be interested to implement its resolutions like it implemented in East Timor?

SG: I think the UN resolutions on Kashmir are on record and the UN has observers in the region. We have UNMOGIP. In fact, the Chief Military Observer is here.

When it comes to implementation of resolutions, I think we have to be clear here. The UN has two types of resolutions -- enforcement resolutions under Chapter VII and other resolutions, which require cooperation of both parties to get implemented. East Timor is a Chapter VII resolution. One often refers to Iraq. Iraq is a Chapter VII resolution. The resolution you are referring to here does not come under Chapter VII in the same sense. And these resolutions are not self-enforcing. And therefore, the cooperation of the two parties, the two parties discussing these issues and finding a peaceful way out, is the route I recommend.

Press encounter after meeting with the Chief Executive of Pakistan, General Pervez Musharraf, 11 March 2001, 8 p.m. Islamabad time (unofficial transcript) ……………………..

Q: Excellency, my question is that last night you have given a press statement regarding the Kashmir issue. The prescription was that India and Pakistan should cooperate on the Kashmir issue. The Chief Executive sitting around this room has already stated and offered India that he is ready to meet the Indian leadership any time--at any time, any place, and at any level. But the Indian government's response is not so positive. [Inaudible] what [should] the United Nations and the Secretary-General of the United Nations [do], do you suppose? What should we do, what should India do, and what should you do? Thank you.

SG: I think the efforts to come together should continue. India and Pakistan have had exchanges in the past. You've managed to get the Lahore [Declaration] going and I hope that in the future, hopefully not in the too distant future, that the kind of engagement that you are referring to will be possible and, of course, as Secretary-General I would encourage both parties to come together to discuss the enterprises.
Press encounter upon arrival at New Delhi, India, 15 March 2001 (unofficial transcript)

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. I am delighted to be returning to India for my second visit as Secretary-General. ………………….

High on the agenda will also be regional issues, which I have been engaged with during my tour of South Asia. In particular, I will be urging a return to the spirit of the Lahore Declaration and to a renewal of the dialogue with Pakistan in order to reduce tensions and build confidence. This is essential to the peace of both nations and to the security of the people of Kashmir, who have endured too many years of violence and suffering.

As I said in Islamabad, you and Pakistan have too much in shared heritage by way of history, as well as family and cultural ties, not to resolve your differences. It is time to begin healing the wounds, to restore trust and to regain a sense of a common good and a common future. So long as grievances persist between both nations, and violence continues in Kashmir, you and Pakistan will be unable to tap the full potential of this important region. My good offices remain available should the parties wish to engage under UN auspices.

However, the important thing is that engagement begin, so that the peoples of both nations can embrace the opportunities of the new century.

This is the right time for India and Pakistan to resume the dialogue. Pakistan's leader General Musharraf assured me in Islamabad that he is ready to do so at any time. And, as I have said earlier, I stand ready to support the dialogue in any way that I can. Thank you. ……………………….

Q: Sir, are you carrying any particular message from Pakistan to the Indian leadership; from General Pervez Musharraf to the Indian leadership?

SG: I think I have already said enough. I already said enough.

Q: Sir, do you see any role for the UN Military Observer Group in Jammu and Kashmir in light of these statements?

SG: They have been around, they have been there for quite a while, and they have a mandate to be there. Obviously if they were, if India and Pakistan were, to engage and you had resolved the issue, there would be no need for the Observers. They'd be withdrawn.

Q: What was General Pervez Musharraf's reaction to your statement that the UN resolutions on Kashmir can't be implemented without India's assent. How did he react to it; how did the Pakistanis react to it?

SG: I really can't answer that but I did make my statement.

Q: Pakistan has been saying all along that a plebiscite is called for because that was [inaudible]?

SG: I think my statement is clear, my statement in Pakistan and my statement here is clear. Thank you very much.
Media Encounter following talks with Indian External Affairs Minister Jaswant Singh, New Delhi, 16 March 2001 (unofficial transcript) …………….

Q to J. Singh: Mr. Secretary-General yesterday said that this is the proper time for India and Pakistan to resume the dialogue with reference to the (Lahore Declaration). How do you react to it?

J. Singh: I appreciate the very wise counsel. The Secretary-General has voiced these words here, as also in Islamabad. India, as the initiator of the dialogue, remains committed to dialogue. The timing and the venue etc. of course has to be decided by the dialoguers themselves. We nevertheless continue to believe and hold that it is necessary that the dialogue should be successful. The conducive atmosphere for it must be prepared first.

Q to J. Singh: And it does not exist right now?

J. Singh: It must be prepared first.

Q to SG: Sir, what are your views on progress in Kashmir since you have visited both sides now?

SG: I think what...I am encouraged by the discussions I have held in the region and as you heard the Foreign Minister, they agree that the only way out is dialogue, the only way out is negotiations between the parties. And I had the chance to indicate that there are Security Council's resolutions which are important but they are not self-enforcing and the parties have to come together through dialogue to implement whatever agreements are taken, which the Security Council resolutions could bear up. But the parties have to really come together and negotiate. And I am encouraged that both parties are open and willing to talk. And I hope in due course, we will see them undertake that.
Weblink:

THE SECRETARY-GENERAL OFF THE CUFFremarks made from 1 January to 30 April 2001
jrjrao
BRFite

Post by jrjrao »

The irony is rich, and hope some of the national media try to highlight this.

When the PM took time out on Diwali to visit the aftermath of the flood-stricken Srinagar and surrounds, this very finely skilled rat and this very finely skilled Kashmiri bigot put out the following:

J-K: Separatists call for bandh as PM comes visiting today
Kashmiri separatist groups called for a complete shutdown on Thursday to protest against Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit as Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani said visiting a Muslim-majority state on Diwali was “nothing but cultural aggression”.

"Diwali in the Muslim-majority state of Jammu and Kashmir is nothing but cultural aggression on the part of Modi. ... It is ridiculous,” said Geelani.
Of course, PM Modi and staff ignored this pipsqueak rat, and in turn, announced a major flood relief package in Srinagar which is 750 crore initially, and is likely to grow in size soon.

Well, this bigot Geelani had one more trick up his sleeve. He had to one-up Modi's package, and so, here is this news in todays Srinagar paper of record:

Geelani distributes relief among flood victims
Srinagar, Oct 26: Chairman of Hurriyat Conference (G) Syed Ali Geelani Sunday distributed cheques worth Rs 10,000 and relief kits among 50 families of Pulwama and Anantnag who had lost their houses in recent floods at conglomerate’s Central Relief Committee office Hyderpora here.

Addressing the flood affected people on the occasion, Geelani, according to a statement, said, “recent floods have broken us but we should not lose hope. Allah can help us to come out of this situation.”

He termed the relief package announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi as “unmentionable.”
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

^^
Cheques??

In India??? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Guys, Do not break sweat over Syed Ali Geelani. He is a plant by RAW.
Look at his statements and actions and the way GoI mollycoddles him. He is there for a purpose and he is collecting his cheques on regular basis thanks to good work he is doing.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

People absolutely need to read this hard hitting piece on Haider movie and it's director. Absolutely fantastic.

http://www.indiafacts.co.in/haider-wrap ... E9ItyKUc7n

Posting excerpt:
Haider is more Basharat Peer’s ‘Curfewed Nights’ than Shakespeare’s ‘Hamlet’. In two separate interviews to ‘The Hindu’ and ‘Times of India’, Vishal Bhardwaj has made the following statements : “I’m not anti-national, but I will comment on what is anti-human” and ” If I am not a leftist, I am not an artist”.

These statements give a general outlook of Bhardwaj’s politics and worldview. It is also clear from his interviews that he did not know much about Kashmir before making this film, so Basharat Peer and Peer’s book was his lens into Kashmir. In that sense, Bhardwaj’s independent views on Kashmir are no more important than that of an occasional foreign tourist to Kashmir before whom an uninterrupted picture of victimization is painted by resident Kashmiris, because the other side of the story (the heartrending plight of Kashmiri Pandits) is not present to debunk the lies.

Interestingly, in Bhardwaj’s earlier movie “Matru ki Bijli ka Mandola,” a 45-crore big budget Bollywood film with popular stars, the lead hero is a JNU product who in his alter-ego as the emancipator of the poor farmers is a superhero-like figure with the name ‘Mao’! This more than anything else shows the degree of comradeship Bhardwaj is affixed to in the domain of leftism, glorifying a mass murderer like Mao. It should have caused outrage in India, unfortunately it didn’t, perhaps because like every radical, subversive leftist thought, it was cloaked in too much distraction. Besides that, the film had multiple allusions to the usual objects of leftist rhetoric and jargon. One wonders why Bhardwaj did not chose to make his fashionable statement on the relation between his allegiance to leftist ideals and his art when it would have been apt for him to do so considering that the film had those themes. Also, it was an original film by Bhardwaj. The answer is simple – a 45-crore film cannot afford to alienate its audience and even the staunchest of leftist-artist souls have to bow to the market and moolah.
History has always been the blind spot of leftists and Kashmiri separatists, which is why the action begins in 1995 and not before. Bhardwaj with this film has blindly and blatantly toed the line of the separatists to the extent that he tries to evoke audience sympathy for the terrorist as a ‘freedom fighter’. How does Bhardwaj explain the fact that his heroes, the ordinary Kashmiri Muslims who today claim that both India and Pakistan betrayed them, were shouting “Asi gacchei Pakistan, battaw rostiy; battaneo saan” [We want Pakistan, without Pandit men; with Pandit women] in 1989-90 while cleansing the valley of its 5000 year old native civilization of Kashmiri Pandits? When the choice for Kashmiris was ‘crystal clear’ for Pakistan in 1989, why doesn’t Haider, who is going across the border, reveal his love for Pakistan openly in 1995?

Maybe Vishal Bhardwaj could ask some of the separatist sympathizers and his research subjects where they see the future once they become ‘Azaad’ – Shariah or Democracy? Most importantly, Bhardwaj should know that the persecution of Hindus and Buddhists in Kashmir is a bloody chapter in history which even the mightiest of brave heart storytellers will feel shaky to adapt to celluloid. The persecution was such that there were only 11 families of Pandits left in Kashmir at one point and they had to stay alive by spending their days incognito in villages. Or the fact that there was an infamous spot in Dal Lake called ‘Bat Mazar’ [ Graveyard of Pandits] where Hindus who refused to convert were physically tortured, put into sacks and drowned, and their womenfolk were paraded naked to be humiliated even as they were grieving.
If Bhardwaj’s leftism does not behove him to mourn the temple and other ruins and the plight of Pandits, the least he can do is to refrain from making a mockery of their genocide.

As a matter of fact, there have been over 600 temples destroyed and vandalised in Kashmir. Even the official government figures place the number conservatively at about 300 temples. But Vishal Bhardwaj would not have filmed his song and dance in a studio or outside Charar-e-Sharief or Hazratbal mosque. The reasons for which are understandable at large. The least one could have expected of Bhardwaj was that he could have respected the sanctum-sanctorum by not shooting the dancers with their footwear on. Alas, to expect dignity for Hindu sentiments and shrines from leftist ideologues is a huge exercise in futility.
There have been ample evidences in history when Pandits, the original victims of Kashmir, have been insulted and abused. In 1947, my maternal grandfather who along with his family migrated from the village to the main Srinagar city after the infamous tribal raid heard the “Qabail ho aaye, Qabail ho aaye; Aseiy ne parvaiye; Qabail ho aaye” [ The raiders are here, The raiders are here: What do we have to fear?; the raiders are here] from fellow Kashmiris. Years passed, and abuses turned into stone pelting when India won matches against Pakistan. One fine day in 1989 the abuses were accompanied with “Yahan kya chalega, Nizam-e-Mustafa, La Sharqiya; La Garbiya, Islamia, Islamia” [ What will work here? The rule of Mustafa; No eastern, no western, only Islamic, only Islamic ], “Zalzala aaya hai kufr ke maidaan mein, Lo mujahid aa gaye maidaan mein” [An earthquake has occurred in the realm of the infidels, The mujahids have come out to fight] ,”Ae Kaafiron, Ae Zaalimon, Kashmir hamara chhod do“, “Dil mein rakho Allah ka khauf aur Haath mein Kalashnikov“
hulaku
BRFite

Post by hulaku »

For the hue and cry over Haider this is what I thought about the movie.

A. It is a MOVIE.

B. Most of the things portrayed in the movie actually took place. I am referring to crackdowns, Mama 1 Mama 2, torture and the Ikhwan. Best portrayal of Kashmir that I have seen of Kashmir as far as the locations are concerned.

C. Nice try at Kashmiri accent. But failed at the actual test. Ask a Kashmir to say "Six" and he will always say "Sikas". They didnt put this in the movie.

D. As a movie it is from a Kashmiri Muslims point of view so obviously the POV would be anti-Indian. To someone like me who grew up among KMs it is a well known fact.

E. A movie has to begin at a point. The Director chose to start in 1995. So whats the big deal ?

F. Bottom line: I dont see it as an anti-Indian movie. Those who do should grow a thicker skin.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

LOL does it claim to be a fantasy movie? And does it represent facts selectively? Like rabid dogs from across the border crossing over and killing Kashmiri Pandits? Or people throwing stones at Kashmiri Pandit colonies? These locations are not shown. Also it completely ignores other cultural aspects like Mata Vaishno Devi yatra, Hazratbal yatra, etc.
hulaku
BRFite

Post by hulaku »

Vishvakji

Your posts underlines the misunderstanding.

Hamlet to the best of my knowledge is fantasy. The movie maker just chose to juxtapose the same to Jammu and Kashmir in 1995 (not earlier, not later. It is known as artistic freedom). And the main character is a Kashmiri Muslim of the valley and they believe in exactly what Haider believes in the movie rather they are more extreme. I am not saying that what they think is correct. I am just saying that, that is the way it is. The sooner we realise it the better it is for us. And we will know that trying to "win hearts and minds" just wont work. What happened during the floods was a perfect example.

Rabid dogs have been coming over the border and killing Indians (not only Kashmiri Pandits) since the inception of Porkistan. Why should the movie be blamed for not showing something that is a well known fact ?

Kashmiri throwing stones at Kashmiri Pandit colonies, I assume you are referring to the recent incident where they stones the colony somewhere. Yes that incident happened but again not relevant to the movie.

And lastly your point about Vaishno Devi Yatra. Vaishno Devi shrine is not in the Kashmir Valley. It is in Jammu hills. It has no relevance to the Kashmir Valley.

And please tell me what is the Hazratbal yatra ?

PS: I was born and bought up in Kashmir Valley and occasionally visit it.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Dipanker wrote:This swami is dubious one, blaming Amarnath yatra for the floods when it was mainly due to incessant rain and unchecked construction in low lying areas and flood plains.

Amarnath yatra a factor in Kashmir deluge, says Swami Agnivesh
New Delhi, Oct 25: Social activist and Hindu religious scholar Swami Agnivesh today said that the prolonged Amarnath yatra had a role in the unprecedented flood that recently hit the Valley. He said the yatra had adversely impacted the fragile environment in the upper reaches of Valley leading to the melting of the glaciers.
His "Hindu" credentials are very much doubted, he opposes Babri masjid and sees eye to eye and hangs on with the types like A. Roy. He was also caught updating Kapil Sibhal during the Anna Hazare movement. He is a suppossed Hindu swamy who wants to see Hindus do mass sucide and get erased from thsi world.

Hulaku-> Isnt Haider demonizing the Indian Army, when there are "Zero" patriotic movies from Bollywood, why is there freedom only to produce this anti national movie. Unlike Hollywood, where the Pentagon has to wet every script regarding the Miltary, for example John Travolta had to wear Black costumes in Broken Aroow as directed by the Pentagon? Why didnt Haider think such an action consulting the Indian army was required. Why should a movie only potray fantasy exceptions. To me Haider to be fair would needed to have a scene on CHitisinghpura with ISI, GHQ, Saudi royal family and US State department rejoicing.
Inder Sharma
BRFite

Post by Inder Sharma »

There are caricatures infused subtly which indicate the thinking of Laal Masjid Mullah
• Bollywoodised youth-Video Parlour guys are Indian agents (source of evil)
• Youth(Heroine’s brother) who does mainstream job in India rats on his own people
• Leaders participating and winning in Indian political processes(democracy) are betraying Kashmiris.
• South Indian Army officer is “Idly Sambhar” i.e not TFTA
• Kashmiri Police Leadership is Careerist and would also betray their daughters for it
• Kashmiri educated girls pursuing careers are naïve and would be heart broken if they trust their indianised parents.
• Pakistani agents working in their midst are on a spiritually elevated plane.

And mind you this psyops is not primarily for mainstream indianwatchers. It is for a Kashmiri sunni youngling, for whom, this movie reinforces long-held sterotypes.
hulaku
BRFite

Post by hulaku »

Aditya_V wrote: Hulaku-> Isnt Haider demonizing the Indian Army, when there are "Zero" patriotic movies from Bollywood, why is there freedom only to produce this anti national movie. Unlike Hollywood, where the Pentagon has to wet every script regarding the Miltary, for example John Travolta had to wear Black costumes in Broken Aroow as directed by the Pentagon? Why didnt Haider think such an action consulting the Indian army was required. Why should a movie only potray fantasy exceptions. To me Haider to be fair would needed to have a scene on CHitisinghpura with ISI, GHQ, Saudi royal family and US State department rejoicing.
How exactly is Haider demonizing the Army ?

It is just showing how the Army is perceived through the eyes of a young Kashmiri Muslim. It is a point of view. It does not purport to be the truth. It is a portrayal. And which scene exactly demonizes the Army ?

It is the Director's artistic freedom which is granted by the Indian Constitution that gives him the right to show what he wants and no one else can dictate to him as to what incidents to portray and what not to.

And by all these calls for banning the movie you are just giving free publicity to an okay type of movie.
hulaku
BRFite

Post by hulaku »

Inder Sharma wrote:There are caricatures infused subtly which indicate the thinking of Laal Masjid Mullah
• Bollywoodised youth-Video Parlour guys are Indian agents (source of evil)
• Youth(Heroine’s brother) who does mainstream job in India rats on his own people
• Leaders participating and winning in Indian political processes(democracy) are betraying Kashmiris.
• South Indian Army officer is “Idly Sambhar” i.e not TFTA
• Kashmiri Police Leadership is Careerist and would also betray their daughters for it
• Kashmiri educated girls pursuing careers are naïve and would be heart broken if they trust their indianised parents.
• Pakistani agents working in their midst are on a spiritually elevated plane.

And mind you this psyops is not primarily for mainstream indianwatchers. It is for a Kashmiri sunni youngling, for whom, this movie reinforces long-held sterotypes.
The Kashmiri Sunni younglings minds is already re-inforced with much more crazier stereotypes. I can assure you of that. What this movie does is gives them a solace that at least some Kaffirs have sympathy for whatever perceived injustices they might have faced. Thats what I see.

As for the points you have listed, Bollywood has always portrayed stereotypes.

Is the potrayal of a South Indian any better in a mainline Bollywood movie ? I find the song "Lungi Dance" more offensive towards South Indians than anything said in the movie. And just nitpicking, in 1995, Gen.Padmanabhan was the GOC of the 15 Corps based in Srinagar.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Hulaku. Regardless portraying Indian military in bad light cannot be supported on the forum. If you continue in that line you will her warned.
Hamlet is about old order collapsing and new getting legitimacy while old order dies off.
hulaku
BRFite

Post by hulaku »

ramana wrote:Hulaku. Regardless portraying Indian military in bad light cannot be supported on the forum. If you continue in that line you will her warned.
Hamlet is about old order collapsing and new getting legitimacy while old order dies off.
Ramanaji

Point taken. Will desist from posting on this topic.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Haven't seen the movie "Haider" but a few things should be kept in mind. Nowhere in the promotions was it shown that the movie had a political backdrop with a bias. So unless you read about the plot on say wiki you wouldn't know. And you wouldn't know about the fact it had a separatist viewpoint at all. All people knew was that it was based on Hamlet and set in Kashmir during turmoil. If they had given any indication of that it would have drawn less crowds and made less money. The producers have been clever. I personally consider Vishal Bharadwaj to be talented. I have seen Maqbool and Omkara and both are good movies. However, when politics takes over, art suffers. Either you make a Shakesperean adaptation or you make a political movie on Kashmir. But they know they can't make the latter and make money. So this innovation. If you want to infuse the situation of Kashmir on screen then be honest and show all sides. Choosing Basharat Peer who has jaundiced view of Kashmir is a dead give-away of the makers politics. Now if Bharadwaj has admitted to being a leftist by saying "if he is not a leftist, he is not an artist" that is the second give-away. Indian leftists consider all anti-state movements including separatist movements as parts of a larger struggle to over-turn the Indian state and use the following chaos to capture power. Plane-loads of leftists were coming to the US to attend various conferences and meetings and events organized by Fai and other like-minded organizations to participate on discussing Kashmir issue (basically backing anti-India forces) for propaganda and intervention. If you visit leftist websites and read leftist literature then you will find they echo the anti-Indian view on Kashmir and other separatist and violent movements (including Naxal). Bharadwaj is reflecting his politics.

So Hulaku you are mistaken if you believe it is innocent art. I don't think banning them is the solution. But producers can be made to suffer if the state really wants to.
Bibhas
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Bibhas »

Terrorist Yasin Malik arrested. I believe he didn't realise Congis are no more in power.
member_28714
BRFite

Post by member_28714 »

Bibhas wrote:Terrorist Yasin Malik arrested. I believe he didn't realise Congis are no more in power.

This is one custodial death that I hope and pray for.
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

ramanaji,
one really good thing about the aam aadmi is he just sees the movies as movie, no subliminal messaging etc. So you see movies like this youngistaan bhoothnath returns and even OMG are seen and off. But I do agree that there seems to be a sort of removal of KP subject from all these mainstream movies, earlier ones included
hulaku
BRFite

Post by hulaku »

People who are interested in Jammu and Kashmir elections and the main players there should follow Prof.Amitabh Mattoo's Kitab-e-Chehra account. He gives nice accounts of the constituencies and the main players.

Currently he is doing a series on some of the main actors on the stage that is the politics of J&K.

Because of the depth of his personal experiences Prof.Mattoo gives some good nuggets on these guys.

He did Sajjad Lone and Devinder Rana recently.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

vivek.rao wrote: {quote="chaanakya"}In continuation of above
Modi in Srinagar reviews flood relief work, Omar appeals for urgent aid package

The National Conference is likely to pitch for Rs. 44,000 crore package submitted by chief minister Omar Abdullah to the Centre. Chief minister will also share a report on floods and its aftermath with the prime minister.
{quote}

44,000 crore package.

A"Bad"Ullu can send it to Londonistan to build a palace and move in with Nidhi Razdan I suppose.
Hmmm, with 44,000 crore package, the inevitable hefty residue sticking to greedy hands, couldn't one do much, very much better than sadi hui aunty nidhi razdan??
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

2 people in Badgam district shot dead by the RR53 , former were speeding away in a white Maruti800 (form Chindu pics)without stopping at a checkpost.

Our Jaitley baba has already declared that guilty will be punished , looks like the involved jawans will be sacrificed.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

An overactive SC interfering and poking it's nose even in the affairs of the election commission can only bode ill for the nation

ENSURING AN EQUITABLE DISTRIBUTION OF RELIEF

Tuesday, 04 November 2014 | Sandhya Jain | in Edit

Given that no comprehensive survey has been done to assess the damage caused to large parts of J&K by the floods, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah's demand for a Rs44,000-crore relief package has raised hackles

The Election Commission of India’s announcement of poll to the Jammu & Kashmir Assembly, even as the Chief Minister was pleading for postponement in view of September’s natural calamity, and the Supreme Court’s startling decision to intervene in the poll process by seeking relaxation of the model code of conduct to facilitate relief distribution, has given a new twist to the situation in the State. Though the Prime Minister called the floods a ‘national disaster’ during his visit to the valley, the Centre has refrained from officially declaring the catastrophe as such, possibly because of simultaneous floods in Assam, which complained of being ignored.

With the media focussed on Kashmir valley and distant Assam, scant attention was paid to Jammu province where eight districts were badly ravaged by the flooding of the Tawi and Chenab rivers and countless nullahs. Now, the Supreme Court has trained the spotlight squarely on the flood victims and their need for prompt and equal relief, to be followed by effective compensation and rehabilitation measures.

The crux of the matter centres round the agency that will distribute the relief. The Prime Minister sanctioned Rs1,000 crore relief after aerially surveying the disaster on September 6 and Rs745 crore when he visited the valley on Diwali, October 23. But amidst grief over the utter failure of the administration to handle rescue operations and the anger of victims over no relief or inadequate relief, questions are being asked if the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund should be the nodal agency for distributing relief, or the State Disaster Response Fund, whose work can be monitored and audited?

Given the ignominious invisibility of the administration at the height of the crisis, leaving an embarrassed Chief Minister to cope with the help of the Indian Armed Forces and civilian volunteers who poured into the State with heart-warming alacrity; given the fact that relief distribution has been uneven and no official survey has been conducted to assess the magnitude of the devastation, Mr Omar Abdullah’s demand for a Rs44,000-crore relief package has raised hackles in some quarters.

In Jammu province, many question Mr Abdullah’s tweet that Srinagar city was “the worst hit”. Pointing out that as per available information, about 70 persons died in Kashmir valley as against 225 in Jammu province, they expressed dismay at being overlooked by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, though they appreciated the first visit by an Indian Prime Minister to Siachen glacier. They fear that unless relief is entrusted to a neutral, publicly accountable agency, it may be used for political constituencies in the run-up to the poll.

The unprecedented rains and floods between September 2 and 9 occurred even as Jammu border villages faced fierce shelling from across the International Border. It is a mystery why the glaciers melted in Kashmir, but rampant constructions over outlet channels built by the erstwhile Maharaja caused the waters to rise 20 feet to 30 feet, causing a catastrophe reminiscent of that in Mumbai in 2005. In Jammu, 12 modern bridges, including the new Tawi bridge, were swept away; Maharaja Hari Singh’s old bridge survived.

The rains destroyed the crop in Udhampur district, forced schools to shut down and swept nearly 70 bridges away. On September 6, a mudslide buried Pancheri Sadal village, taking at least 70 lives as district authorities failed to respond to pleas for a helicopter rescue. There has been massive loss of property, including crops and cattle, in Ramnagar, Reasi, Bhadarwah, Ramban, Kishtwar, RS Pura, Poonch, Rampur-Pathankot, Samba (five BSFchowkis were swept away).

In Naushera (Rajouri), a wedding party was swept away on September 4; 52 bodies were recovered but 14 are still trapped in the mud and despite an assurance in the Supreme Court, the authorities failed to provide a JCB machine to extract the bodies. Only Arnia and Bishnab towns could be evacuated in time and about 15,000 people saved.

In response to a petition filed by the Panthers Party, the Supreme Court intervened on September 12 and ordered the setting up of a five-member committee to examine the relief measures. It comprised Kashmir Bar Association president, Jammu Bar Association president, a representative of the Government of India, a representative of the state government, and the senior-most registrar of the Jammu & Kashmir High Court as convener.

Inexplicably, the committee’s interim report (September 24) was not signed by the Jammu & Kashmir Government representative; the final report, due on October 31, was not submitted till the time of writing. In its interim report, the committee noted that free ration has not been distributed properly in some districts, most notably Srinagar, Pulwama, Rajouri and Udhampur. In several places victims complained of receiving rations from NGOs only. With winter having arrived in Kashmir and fast approaching in Jammu, there is urgent need for blankets and warm clothing for the victims.

Survivors living in tents and makeshift shelters need speedy rehabilitation. The poor need access to free medicines and accessories. All victims need psychiatric help and counselling to cope with post traumatic stress disorder as many were stranded without food and aid for several days before they could be rescued.

The Supreme Court appointed committee recommended speedy assessment of the damage to properties, particularly farm lands, standing paddy, vegetable and fruit crops, and cattle, and distribution of ex-gratia relief in all affected districts. It said municipal authorities must launch a massive cleanliness and sanitization drive to make the affected regions habitable and prevent the outbreak of diseases, with due priority to immunisation. It urged a ban on construction on the beds of flood prone nullahs, rivers or adjacent areas, including the laying of telecommunication cables on hilly roads as this promoted erosion and was against the law.

Even as the apex court awaits the committee’s final report, analysts wonder if it was appropriate of the court to intervene with the Election Commission once the poll was announced. But, having waded into this murky water, the court should ensure that relief is entrusted to a non-political agency and distributed equitably.

Amidst this human tragedy, the ISI-backed Million March at London’s Trafalgar Square on October 26 — aimed at making the UN take up the Kashmir dispute — flopped miserably. Muslim youth from the occupied territories of undivided Kashmir pelted ‘star speaker’ Bilawal Bhutto with eggs, forcing him to flee under police cover! Even by the standards of a cameo political debut, it was an anti-climax.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

What will be the BJP's policy after J&K elections? Lets find out what Doval ji thinks of the J&K issue. What role does he see the Kashmiri Pandits play in the Kashmir.

Social Cause Seminar on Kashmir - Speaker Sri K Ajit Doval IB-1/6

Social Cause Seminar on Kashmir - Speaker Sri K Ajit Doval IB-2/6

Social Cause Seminar on Kashmir - Speaker Sri K Ajit Doval IB-3/6

Social Cause Seminar on Kashmir - Speaker Sri K Ajit Doval IB-4/6

Social Cause Seminar on Kashmir - Speaker Sri K Ajit Doval IB-5/6

Social Cause Seminar on Kashmir - Speaker Sri K Ajit Doval IB-1/6
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Robin Raphael the midwife of Hurrrats is under investigation in US for spying and dismissed from State Dept.

Geelani aab thera khya hoga!!!
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Any idea on the quantum of punishment which the jawans would face for the recent shoot out which killed two young folks? I am sure charges for "murder" etc. may not really hold, as these young folks had dodged the army check point and tried to get away. The Hindu reported that the two boys had banged a tipper truck and trying to get away. The below report from the The Hindu may cause minor head-ache for the readers, but posting it any way.
Valley erupts in protest over deaths in Army firing

The two boys who died were identified as Faisal and Mehrajuddin. Faisal was studying in class VII {Looks like for Kashmiri Muslims provisions of Indian MV Act does not apply. Where in India is a class VII student allowed to drive a car??}. He had gone out in his father’s car to buy curtains for the hall where the family was planning a party on Sunday.
According to one of the boys, who escaped unhurt, their car brushed against a tipper truck on their way to Chattargam and were afraid that the driver would catch hold of them and beat them up. “They drove fast fearing the tipper truck driver and missed the Army signal to stop and they [the Army] killed them for it,” says Mohammad Sami
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Comments?
http://indianexpress.com/article/opinio ... tergam/99/

Also:^^^^ there were at least 3 people in the car, why is one assuming that the class VII student was the driver?
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

deleted, duplicate
Last edited by CRamS on 09 Nov 2014 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Guys, I know everyone of us is skeptical and suspicious of this guy, Dileep Padgaonkar, but here is another commentary from him (last time I posted and praised something by him, I was taken to task by many including the erudite RamanaGaru), that makes eminent sense, at least to me.

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.co ... -fortunes/
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Sachin wrote: From the link ...
According to one of the boys, who escaped unhurt, their car brushed against a tipper truck on their way to Chattargam and were afraid that the driver would catch hold of them and beat them up. “They drove fast fearing the tipper truck driver and missed the Army signal to stop and they [the Army] killed them for it,” says Mohammad Sami
So Army

1. Signalled them to stop.
2. The "boys" did not stop.

Whether they missed by chance or happenstance or did a "ya-allah" to push through the checkpoint., the major point is they did not stop.

Anyplace in the world., the likely outcome is severe injury or death.

So here the #mediapimps are fanning the entitlement of the cashmere's (the media is pimping kashmir for TRPs).

Yes there should be mandatory investigation including evaluation of rules and policies to ensure that similar situations do not end up in violence.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

ramana wrote:Robin Raphael the midwife of Hurrrats is under investigation in US for spying and dismissed from State Dept.

Geelani aab thera khya hoga!!!
Robin Raphael was called "Lady Taliban" by Indians.

I think the name should stick and the state department should be made to own up all their "Lady Talibans" and "Gentlemen Talibans".

Anyway, never thought she will pay for her crimes., hopefully she goes into jail for all her life.
member_28797
BRFite

Post by member_28797 »

Sachin wrote: According to one of the boys, who escaped unhurt, their car brushed against a tipper truck on their way to Chattargam and were afraid that the driver would catch hold of them and beat them up. “They drove fast fearing the tipper truck driver and missed the Army signal to stop and they [the Army] killed them for it,” says Mohammad Sami
[/i]
well the stone pelters and soosai bombers of Kashmir also accidentally throw stones on Police and blow up and shoot at the army. All Pak trained/pak loyal kashmiri jihadists are innocent wonly :((... it's only the extremist, oppressive, racist, casteist, non-secular, non-marxist Indian army that needlessly kills and maims these innocent lads. Why should an army man shoot down a jihadi when the jihadi accidentally shoots him? It was an accident onlee.

Basically this moron sped across an army stop when he was specifically instructed to stop. I am glad the army did it's job. Cry me a river, but if you act like a retard, you should be treated like one. Another case of giving unnecessary attention to the community that specializes in victimhood+ sickular/ama-ayesha brigade that shouts on their behalf in the rest of the country.

It's better if we dump these idiotic reports and move on. I don't know why the soldiers are being dragged in army courts. They did their jobs, they should be commended for it.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

I will fight the elections alone in Jammu and Kashmir, says Sajjad Lone

Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/sajj ... 00108.html
The People's Conference chairman Sajjad Lone ( His father was killed by Paki on behalf of Gilani) in an exclusive interview to Headline Today said he wishes to fight the elections alone. He, however, did not deny post-poll alliance with the BJP. Early on Monday, Lone met Prime Minister Narendra Modi triggering the speculations that his party would join hands with the BJP after elections."I will fight the elections alone," Lone said in the interview.Talking to the news channel, Lone said the Prime Minister wants development of Jammu and Kashmir. "Modi can change the fortune of Jammu and Kashmir," he said. His move seems to come as a big boost for the BJP ahead of the polls in the state.The former separatist leader said that he expects the people of Jammu and Kashmir to bring him to power. "I believe that we can bring in change," he said.Speaking on the security issues, Lone said that the Army in 25 years had never apologized for lapses in the state.Over his resolution paper in Kashmir, he said that economic trade is an in thing across the world and that all regions in South Asia must economically cooperate with each other.Lone recently met the senior BJP leader and former RSS spokesperson Ram Madhav who did not rule out a post-election alliance with Lone's People's Conference in poll-bound Jammu and Kashmir.
Speaking exclusively to Headlines Today, Madhav had said, "The BJP will support any democratic party that joins forces to defeat J-K's family-run parties. There can be no objection to meeting those who join the electoral process."Jammu and Kashmir and Jharkhand will vote in a five-phased Assembly election beginning November 25."The BJP is confident of being able to form the next government in Jammu and Kashmir. People of Kashmir have appreciated the role of Modi government in providing flood relief," Madhav said.When asked about the BJP's stand on Article 370 which grants a special status to Jammu and Kashmir, Madhav dodged the question, "Our manifesto will reveal whether Article 370 is a part of our agenda for Jammu and Kashmir elections or not."On the return of Kashmiri pandits, which forms a major chunk of the saffron party's base in the state, to the Valley, Madhav had said, "No one can object if Kashmiri pandits register to vote in Assembly polls. Kashmiri pandits have full right to be a part of the democratic process.""It is possible that Kashmiri pandits can alter the Valley's election dynamics on a few seats," he had told Headlines Today.When asked about the accusations that the BJP is seeking to divide a Muslim-majority Jammu and Kashmir on religious lines to gain in the forthcoming elections, Madhav denied the allegation by saying, "It is wrong to say the BJP is attempting polarisation of Jammu and Kashmir before the polls.""The primary focus in Jammu and Kashmir polls will be on growth and development. The religion of the chief ministerial candidate has no consequence," he said, refusing to reveal the party's CM candidate in the sta
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

CRamS wrote:Guys, I know everyone of us is skeptical and suspicious of this guy, Dileep Padgaonkar, but here is another commentary from him (last time I posted and praised something by him, I was taken to task by many including the erudite RamanaGaru), that makes eminent sense, at least to me.

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.co ... -fortunes/

Padgoankar still reeks of psecularitis. He compares the shooting of two guys who ran a check post with the good work in flood relief.

And all that BS advise he is giving NaMo already implemented by his own admission.
So its a gap filler article.
And you are impressed by it!

Tell him to return the Fai funds he took while on Govt service.

So which part makes sense?

The usual template of these guys is put in a few facts and fill the rest of it with fiction.

This is propaganda 101.
Shanmukh
BRF Oldie

Post by Shanmukh »

Five army men including 2 officers sentenced in Machil Fake encounter case.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... IIndiaNews
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

It is useful to read what Padgaonkar writes. Gives an idea of what his American benefactors are thinking on different issues.