India Nuclear News and Discussion 4 July 2011

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Re: India Nuclear News and Discussion 4 July 2011

Post by gakakkad »

^^^ Thanks . wonder you guys interested in Nuclear medicine developments. Any way there was an interesting article in one of the medical Journals about dealing with nuclear disasters. Let me know I you interested.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Please do.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

This is a very decent article on clinical effects of radiation exposure and basic principles of its Management. It explains how a fukushima like disaster can be managed. It is from the New England Journal of Medicine which is a top medical journal. It should be accessible to non subscribers. Let me know if there is a problem.

Clicky

ADDED LATER- You don't need a medical background to go through this one. Though knowledge about nuclear chemistry might aid. :)
Last edited by gakakkad on 23 Jul 2011 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

There was some Co-60 found in Delhi sometime back.I was quite busy in the US then and was cut off from Desh. Does anyone know if cases of exposure were found in the nearby hospitals? The thing with radiation injury is that unless a Doctor knows about it he will not be able to identify it. It is especially a problem for the Indian poor as they may not end up in tertiary care centre's .
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

gakakkad wrote:There was some Co-60 found in Delhi sometime back.I was quite busy in the US then and was cut off from Desh. Does anyone know if cases of exposure were found in the nearby hospitals? The thing with radiation injury is that unless a Doctor knows about it he will not be able to identify it. It is especially a problem for the Indian poor as they may not end up in tertiary care centre's .

If memory serves right, some scrap dealers were involved and people died after the exposure.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Check this out:
here ...

IMO quite a bit of technical information and analysis.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

I should say that they were fortunate that it happened in a Big city. Delhi has state of the art radio therapy centres. They are manned by radiation oncologists who could have identified the sickness. Though I did not get the exact clinical status of the patients from media report. I ll call a friend in Delhi . It seems that the because the patients were found source was detected. If this happens in a village or a town there would be considerable damage before people know what is happening.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Recent issue of National Geographic has an article about India's nuclear power future (link given below) but what struck me powerfully was the impact of ignorance and group think combined with plain hooliganism has some real consequences.

Here is the picture - as they say a picture paints thousand words..
Jaitapur resident Samina Sharjah points out damage caused by stones thrown into her house in the village of Nate, near Jaitapur, in April after violent protests against the planned nuclear power station here.
Please note that event in Japan (after a horrendous natural disaster) is just an excuse for some worthies, who spun (and continue to spin) the tragedy shamelessly. Never mind that nuclear radiation due to that accident did not kill a single human being in Japan, let alone in India but hooliganism in the name of this had real impact.

How in the world, dissing Indian scientists, throwing mud on them, calling them traitors, and now even using violence can be called deshbahkti? (One fisherman was killed in the violent protests)

Anyway here is the link to the article:
India Maps Out a Nuclear Power Future, Amid Opposition

Recent press in USA (all main news outlets) has quite a few reports about India's start of building the (two) new nuclear power plants...What is ironic (to me) is known anti-India worthies are joined by some worthy Indians to actually diss India, its people, its scientists and its government.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

NPCIL (Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited) releases detailed nuke plant safety reports post Fukushima accident..

It is Entitled "Safety Evaluation of Indian Nuclear Power Plants, post Fukushima Accident" and consists of the six task forces constituted by the NPCIL enterprise along with the implementation status of the recommendation of the earlier safety reviews of Indian Nuclear Power Plants (The events Narora incident and Chernobyl and Three-Mile Island accidents, etc .

At: http://www.npcil.nic.in

A brief of the findings of the task forces were released in April 2011. Also two more task forces to assess the safety of the reactors under construction – one for the 1000 MW VVERs (Light Water Reactors) at Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu and the other one for indigenous 700 MW Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors (PHWRs) at Kakrapar in Gujaratand Rawathbhata in Rajasthan
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Amber G. wrote:
Please note that event in Japan (after a horrendous natural disaster) is just an excuse for some worthies, who spun (and continue to spin) the tragedy shamelessly.

How in the world, dissing Indian scientists, throwing mud on them, calling them traitors, and now even using violence can be called deshbahkti? (One fisherman was killed in the violent protests) .
Since no one is taking you up on high school level physics types statements you are back to flaming with attributions to (supposedly nameless) :lol: people and random attacks?

These tactics are now quite old you know, folks don't fall for that. Just saying. Cheerio... toot toot.

=======================

And oh, being wrong in world of physics and engineering is not made up by hounding others, post facto losing the discussion on real world data. funny that you dont get that.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Should India Give US Nuclear Suppliers a Reprieve from the Indian Nuclear Liability Law?
In 2008 even before the India-US 123 agreement was finalised Washington had asked for and obtained a commitment from New Delhi that India would sign the Convention on Supplementary Compensation (CSC). India signed the CSC in October 2010 and during his November 2010 visit to India, President Obama received an assurance from the Indian government that it would ratify the CSC during 2011. Now during her just concluded visit Secretary of State Hilary Clinton once again asked India to ratify the treaty soon. Why is there such an insistence on the part of the United States that India ratify the CSC?
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Deleted. Thanks Sanku.
Last edited by ShauryaT on 25 Jul 2011 01:39, edited 1 time in total.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

^^ Wrong thread, you probably wanted to post it in Indian intrests but you accidentally posted it here (given that you are making posts in both these threads right now)
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

@ Amber , The Nat Geo article underlines all problems of the Country. Anti Indian 'intellectual's" misleading people into believing that some evil work is going on . In reality life of an average Indian will transform to a much better one. But that's is not in some people's interest. The reason is same for many other things. (like farmer's refusing to adopt modern agricultural practises resulting in low yield per hectare)

@ Non nuclear lobbyist's ,most of the industrial and man made disasters post second world war have nothing even remotely to do with nuclear energy. An oil refinery disaster can be very devastating if not handled properly. A CT scan or radiotherapy equipments if carelessly handled can lead to loss of life. (one of the reason why radiation oncologist are most knowledgeable on dealing with nuclear accidents). But these equipment's are life saving. We don't stop using these equipment due to the hypothetical chance of a disaster. The future reactors are likely to be far safer than what we have today. The disaster rate was low in the past , so in all probability it will be lower in the future.

@ Amber again - I have seen the chinese presentation. I have few doubt's and things I did not understand. Will post them shortly.

@ Every one - I have found some good info wrt Co 60 incident. I will be doing a case series article on it.But I ll post the photograph's and information as soon as ethics committee , patient confidentiality and other issue's are sorted out. The cases were managed by the doctors very well. Many condition's can present that way . But a good job was done. Treatment was as per known international protocols. (keep in mind that not much is known about managing such cases, most info is post Chernobyl, and the Russian's hid more than they revealed).
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Similar efforts underway in India, declassified papers 30 years hence should have very interesting information about Manmahon's role and all that.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 724x3.html

Declassified papers show U.S. promoted atomic power in Japan
In a memorandum to U.S. Secretary of State John Dulles, dated May 26, 1954, Eisenhower said he was "concerned about the Japanese situation," and asked Dulles to help "have a better idea of what it is now possible for us to do to further our interests in Japan."
Readers of the thread will note the stark familiarity with words used below with the attacks on posters here on BRF and people outside who have opposed US intrests.
Noting that several exchange projects were under way, the memo concluded that "In the long run, scientific interchange is the best remedy for Japanese emotion and ignorance and we intend to push such projects."
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

^^^ You don't need to declassify documents to know that US promoted nuclear energy. They did so quite openly . They also promoted computers , televisions , angioplasty , anti HIV therapy , by pass surgery , anti cancer therapy and equality for women. Maybe they had something evil in mind. In 1980s Japan acheived an enviable position of being technology leader. :evil: :twisted: Even today Japan is synonymous to design. I don't see the ractors doing any harm. No other form of technology could have sustained Japanese technological prowess and its massive energy requirements.
Last edited by gakakkad on 25 Jul 2011 15:22, edited 2 times in total.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

@ Amber There are a few things I don't quite get wrt the chinese design . What is the "vented low pressure chamber" ? It is supposed to be some sort of safeguard mechanism. PBR'S are not supposed to have a dome unlike the PWR'S . And chernobyl showed that the dome was useless in any case.

Other thing is that the design seems to be a replica of the German AVR. Now the German AVR shut down because the core acheived temperature > 950 ' C . Apparently engineers miscalculated the the core Helium flow as the bypass flow was not taken into account. Is my understanding OK? Anything done to prevent such a problem in the Panda reactors ?
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

gakakkad wrote:^^^ You don't need to declassify documents to know that US promoted nuclear energy. .
Oh I see, stupid me.

I am sure the Japanese would be glad to know that, also that they were target for "pushing" against their "ignorance and emotions" because of their "pathological" world view, in order to promote "our (US) intrests"

Yes all common knowledge amongst Japanese I am sure.
No other form of technology could have sustained Japanese technological prowess and its massive energy requirements.
Apparently 70% Japanese do not think like you do. But I am sure you know more about them and they know themselves.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 725a2.html
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

^^ yeah sure Hitachi owns 60% of American GE's nuclear power business. American Interests well served. And Japanese economy grew to be the 2nd largest in the world by 1990. What could serve American interest better.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

gakakkad wrote:^^ yeah sure Hitachi owns 60% of American GE's nuclear power business.
Actually yes, look at it this way, GE is getting money to build shitty reactors in Japan and let Japan clear up the mess.

With US policies of moving away from Nuclear over last 30 years, GE Nuclear department would be bankrupt.

This way US gets to maintain a nuclear industry at some one elses expenses in every way.
American Interests well served. And Japanese economy grew to be the 2nd largest in the world by 1990. What could serve American interest better.
And obviously you are similarly unaware of how Japanese economy feeds US right.

Meanwhile you have nothing to say to contradict the statements in the disclosure -- the pushing by US of its agenda and referring to Japan and Japanese in most demeaning terms.

The Japanese have paid a heavy price for their loss in the war indeed, unfortunately some are trying to make India pay the price even without the loss.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

*nudge* AmberG and Sanku, we are watching.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

archan wrote:*nudge* AmberG and Sanku, we are watching.
Aye aye mon Kapitan.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Sanku wrote:
archan wrote:*nudge* AmberG and Sanku, we are watching.
Aye aye mon Kapitan.
If I may make a humble suggestion, kindly put AmberG on your ignore list so you never have to see those posts and hence no trouble. AmberG can do the same and peace shall prevail. Just stop responding to each other guys.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Post clean waiver agreement with the IAEA and NSG, India concludes the 9th bilateral nuclear co-operation agreement.

South Korea joins U.S., France, Russia, Canada, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Argentina and Namibia in entering into a bilateral nuclear co-operation agreement with India.

Yonhap News:

S. Korea, India sign nuclear power cooperation pact
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

NPCIL to borrow $5.7 bn for world’s largest nuclear plant.

Nuclear Power Corporation (NPCIL), India’s lone nuclear power generation utility, is going ahead with its aggressive capacity addition plans despite the renewed concern over safety of nuclear power generation after the Fukushima disaster.

NPCIL is in talks with a consortium of 12 European banks, including BNP Paribas SA, HSBC Holdings Plc and Societe Generale, to raise as much as 4 billion euros ($5.7 billion) to finance its proposed 10,000 mw nuclear power plant at Jaitapur in Maharashtra. Reactors for this plant — the largest in the world — will be supplied by Areva, a French nuclear power equipment manufacturer, according to a senior NPCIL official.

The loan will be guaranteed by French trade credit insurance company Coface SA. The total cost of the project, with a debt-equity ratio of 70:30, is about $18 billion. The PSU will have to arrange for the rest of the loan component from domestic lenders such as Power Finance Corporation.

“The challenge of large-scale nuclear power capacity addition in a rapid manner has, indeed, provided an opportunity for further enhancing country’s capability in adopting and implementing diverse technologies,” says NPCIL chairman and managing director SK Jain.

The state-owned generator plans to put up six reactors each with 1,650 mw capacity at Jaitapur. The ministry of environment and forests (MoEF) recently issued environmental clearance for the project after dithering over the issue initially.

Some environmentalists had raised concern about the possible environmental impact of putting up such a large nuclear power plant at a site that according to them, falls in a seismically sensitive zone. Besides, concerns were also raised about the safety of the European Pressurised Reactors to be supplied by Areva on the ground that it is a technology that is yet to be tested.

“We have funding commitment of more than what we require,” NPCIL finance director Jagdeep Ghai was quoted as saying by agencies in Mumbai. “There is absolutely no problem with bankers, although they have also increased their due diligence after the Fukushima event.”

The loan will likely have a 17-year maturity and the rate of interest may be as much as 7%, Ghai said. The company is also looking to borrow $250 million through a loan with maturity of five to seven years.

India’s plan to increase nuclear power generation about 13-fold is back on track following a safety review after the Fukushima disaster. Following the accident at the Japan's Fukushima nuclear power plant, the Indian government ordered a comprehensive review of safety of its operational nuclear power plants also of the preparedness of the operator to deal with nuclear contingencies. The government also plans to tighten regulatory norms for nuclear power plants.

The department of atomic energy (DAE), which is directly concerned with India's nuclear power generation programme, has maintained that the Japan crisis should not be cause of alarm or panic. If anything, it should trigger further safety enhancements.

The installed capacity in nuclear power generation is about 4,800 mw, the bulk of which is based on small reactors in the size of 220 mw. But following the Indo-US civil nuclear deal in 2008, India has chalked out ambitious capacity addition in nuclear power generation using large-sized reactors to bridge its growing electricity shortfalls. For example, the government has planned five nuclear parks, each with 10,000 mw capacity, at various locations including Jaitapur in Mahrashtra. These projects will be based on large-sized imported reactors. India plans to increase its nuclear-generation capacity to 63,000 mw by 2032.

The NPCIL development comes close on the heels of a huge uranium deposit find in Andhra Pradesh.

The Tumalappalli mine, experts claim, could turn out to be among the biggest reserves of the mineral in the world. The Andhra mine has a confirmed 49,000 tonne of ore and there are indications that it could hold reserves totalling three times its current size.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Actually yes, look at it this way, GE is getting money to build shitty reactors in Japan and let Japan clear up the mess.
Why are GE reactors shitty? When did they fail?

What would one call the RBMK reactor?
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

^^^ RBMK (full form is in russian) is a type of soviet light water reactor. Sintered uranium dioxide pellets with 2 % enrichment are used as fuel. Graphite is the moderator . Boron carbide is the neutron absorber for the control rods.Light water is the coolant. This was the same design of the Chernobyl . So no reactor of this design is in construction. But the existing 8-10 odd are still in operation.

GE reactors are ok. They are just like any other reactors of other companies in each category. The thing is nuclear research has stagnated in the last 2-3 decades. People avoid nuclear engineering these days due to dearth of jobs in Khanland.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Tanaji wrote:
Why are GE reactors shitty? When did they fail?
Well well. Do you really want me to start posting the Fukushima stories again?
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Well most of the reactors in operation were designed in 1970's . Engineers did not have the kind of technology we have today. There was no AutoCAD , advanced statistical simulation softwares , MATLAB etc in those days. In fact hand held calculators too were in early stages. Most designs of nuclear reactor were manual with minimal computer help.

Due to the unnecessary fear of nuclear energy funding stopped and research was stagnated. So India has the opportunity to dedicate its human resource and make headways in modern nuclear reactor design which surely will be a lot safer now. So now is the time to invest in nuclear technology.

The fukushima incident could be a blessing in disguise for India . As most countries are having irrational fear about nukes ,they would further reduce their investment in nuclear energy. Thereby reducing competition .If we increase investment in research than in 20 years we could be the world leaders.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

archan wrote:
Sanku wrote:>>*nudge* AmberG and Sanku, we are watching.<<

Aye aye mon Kapitan.
If I may make a humble suggestion, kindly put AmberG on your ignore list so you never have to see those posts and hence no trouble. AmberG can do the same and peace shall prevail. Just stop responding to each other guys.
Archanji ( and other brf-admins): Firtst, I am glad that one more brf-admin is interested enough in Indian nuclear issues to post a message here. JEM once said here that "we" ( some brf –admins) “half the time do not understand what’s being discussed here”, but still, I must say this odd = = by Archanji leaves me baffled. Let me explain why.

First, I have been ignoring Sankuji for quite some time, particularly since he used in one case, in my humble opinion, inappropriate, if not vulgar, language, and in spite of my polite request did not edit the post. (I have reported that, but you guys never even acknowledge my report).

In this particular case, nothing I said, can even remotely be taken as anything other than a completely relevant , valid, post(s). So, it is hard to see how in the world, any sane person could infer that I was “responding” to your esteemed friend .

But giving you a benefit of doubt, let me explain what ought to be quite obvious. (And that, as much as I dislike it, by necessity will refer to someone who has addressed you as “mon Kapitan” )

1. The statements like
Sanku wrote:“Oh I see, stupid me ”
are his words, I did not provoke it, It is simply beyond pale for a BRF admin to rebuke me for that as if I had anything to do with that.

2. Even stranger is the following post:
Sanku wrote:
Amber G. wrote: Please note that event in Japan (after a horrendous natural disaster) is just an excuse for some worthies, who spun (and continue to spin) the tragedy shamelessly.

How in the world, dissing Indian scientists, throwing mud on them, calling them traitors, and now even using violence can be called deshbahkti? (One fisherman was killed in the violent protests) .
Since no one is taking you up on high school level physics types statements you are back to flaming with attributions to (supposedly nameless) :lol: people and random attacks?

These tactics are now quite old you know, folks don't fall for that. Just saying. Cheerio... toot toot.
Archan, you should read, really read my post and the article (National Geographic Article – A prestigious magazine which AFAIK is not banned by brf), there is a lot of relevant information directly related to this thread. My editorial/introductory comment was, and it is, as clear as it can be. The hooligans are the one who threw stones, did violence, and those things are clearly articulated in my post. I just can’t believe any sane person will take it as flaming. I hope you are not suggesting that violence and dissing Indian scientists is the policy (raisin dieter :roll: ) of BRF and anyone not supporting that kind of violence is an object of your lathi charge.

3. Also worth considering that there was Ramanaji assurance and direct warning to Sanku that he will not throw insults at or even respond to me which Sanku agreed in one of his post, is flagrantly ignored by you and your friend.
(Think about this = = !!! A post throwing insults at me, using my name and directly at me, without absolutely any provocation some how becomes = = :-o )

4. It seams that you and Sankuji even have a problem with Physics. I certainly hope that you are not suggesting that anything which is simply being posted in physics dhaga, is an object of your lathi charge?

Archanji, will you please articulate exactly, what action /post/sentence from my part, invited such a rebuke to me and do an = = with your favorite person’s post which, in most person’s view, is a direct personal attack at me. After all, as GuruPrabhu so aptly said, is this a “nuclear issue “ thread or diss Indian scientists thread? You really owe us an explanation.

This is not OT, and I hope you provide some clear cut leadership.

Ironically my recent activity in this thread is due to a direct request by Ramanaji to take a lead and educate BRF as there was quite a bit of ignorance perpetuated by the mainstream media. I think I did that, using my years of experience in teaching nuclear physics, to make complicated principles easier to understand, give nice references for further quest ; and response (not only in BRF) has been very positive. It is really sad when instead of encouraging this, one brf admin chose to do what he chose to do. No wonder many eminent brf personalities withdrew from posting in these threads.

Archanji I too have a suggestion for you. The subtlety you have shown is getting quite a bit of visibility. Just for one example, please check out the following link
<link>
where such antics are being discussed. (Check out the last posting from “Ram” who is apparently familiar with us and knows quite a bit about such things...Archanji, you too are being watched. I also see that it is widely known that Somanath, GuruPrabhu who are asset to BRF are being driven away by such antics.

Archanji, as a citizen, it is duty of every one to learn and educate oneself for issues which has national significance. If I may say so, there is quite a bit of gyan in many of posts, you should really be taking advantage of that instead of using brf-admin power to do indiscriminate lathi charges.

Gerard, JEM and other admins really should pay attention and provide a good leadership.
I like to give thanks to Guru Prabhu, Somanath, Amit , Gerard (and a few more eminent human beings, some of whom, no longer actively post here) were generous enough to share their perspective and knowledge. Also thanks to gakakkad, for his last medical reference about radiation.
Last edited by Amber G. on 29 Jul 2011 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

@AmberG I hope you don't quit posting. Your posts are a great source of knowledge. I think the thread is privileged to have someone has worked in INPP. I reported the troll. I also reported the moderator as he was accelerating neutrons instead of decelerating them. :evil: :evil: :) .

Whats the difference between defanddumb and BR ? We have nuclear physicist , engineers , ex intelligence men , doctors ,economists etc. While defanddumb is filled with yahoos.

I am a new guy here. I have been lurking for over a decade though. I did not register then as it would have proved to be a distraction for me . Now I have more disposable time than I had in the past so I registered. I find that the nuclear Dhaga has been a great source of attrition for this forum. Late Prof Santhanan revelations ended up being tactical nuclear strike for this forum as many knowledgeable members quit. The only tragedy is that ignorance prevailed over scientific knowledge.

Now there were people who insulted Bhabha , Kakodkar , Vitaly Ginzburg etc in these forums. Did the perpetrators have a degree in nuclear physics or engineering ? Could they even distinguish a quark from a lepton ? What brought them to vilify such luminaries ? And the reference they used to do so .. crappy media articles written by journalists without evidence of even rudimentary scientific knowledge. Could they even solve physics problems 17 year olds can solve ( i am referring to school text problems ,surely not the olympiads :) ))

When Chandrayaan was launched some moronic "intellectual" bad mouthed ISRO (brfites might recall country of 400 million poor launching a moon mission type of bullcrap broadcasted in media all day). This shows why the country is backwards.. every one is a cricket expert... every one is a doctor ...everyone is a nobel laureate in physics and can mock Ginzburg , Oppenheimer et al . Look where the world is moving. You guys are just frogs in a well.

I humbly request the web admins or the senior moderators to Email Guruprabhu and earnestly request him to resume his contributions. We are at an exciting time in nuclear energy business. Our thorium designs are making a headway. High temperature reactors are also in advance stages of development. A friend told me that they are also looking into the travelling wave design. We need someone to help us understand these things better.

This site is more than a web forum . For the oldies its evidently a part of their life . It is an oasis of nationalism , knowledge and a certain degree of excellence in other wise barren self loathing country with evils ranging from reservations to corruption to high handedness to simple stupidity and mediocrity.

PS- Once again to AmberG please don't quit posting mam.
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

yes, i too request AmberG to please continue to post in BRF.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_hu ... on_1571926
Human error is said to be the main reason why seven people came into contact with radiation at Kakrapar atomic power station in Tapi district. According to top officials of the power station, employees responsible for the incident have been sent for training while a departmental inquiry has been ordered against them.
“As per orders, no spend fuel was to be released in the tunnel till 1 pm. To ensure this, we sent a letter to all three and took their signatures as well. However, they forgot about the orders in the letter and switched on the refuelling system. This led to workers coming in contact with the radiation,” J P Dutta, director of atomic power station at Kakrapar, said.
http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report_ur ... nd_1570139
The recent discovery of a massive uranium deposits at Tummalapalle in Andhra Pradesh, where reserve size might touch 1.5 lakh tonne, making it the largest uranium reserve in the world, has made Uranium Corporation of India rework its priorities in channelling investments.

“We have asked the Planning Commission for Rs4,500 crore (over a billion dollars) and we are expecting that they will agree for Rs2,000 crore (to be spend during the Twelfth Five-Year Plan period), which would be enough for one major project, and most probably it will come up in Tummalapalle area because the prospects are relatively good there,” UCIL chairman and managing director R Gupta said on Wednesday.

UCIL is already constructing an underground mine up to a depth of 300 metre at Tummalapalle, and will set up a processing plant with a capacity of 3,000 tonne a day in the first phase.

“The mine and mill project is progressing well and trial runs are expected to start between October and January,” Gupta said. With the new discovery, the capacity of the processing plant will have to be doubled at a later stage.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The Tummalapalle find is very important. It reduces the leverage for foreign suppliers and their sanctions regime under new disguises.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Small is big
India has a huge potential to export its smaller nuclear reactors, and the world is taking notice of it, writes Ramtanu Maitra.
A Nuclear Power Corporation (NPC) official told a newspaper that "Kazakhstan would need small-to medium-sized reactors in the range of 220 MW, 540 MW and 700 MW. Kazakhstan would always look at the competitive Asian cost compared to the higher European cost."

NPC has also identified some Asia-Pacific states for selling its mainstay 220 MWe and 540 MWe reactors. "We are having detailed discussions with Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam," NPC chairman S.K.Jain revealed at the Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre in Calcutta last October.
India enjoys a clear advantage in the manufacture and export of small reactors. Smaller reactors cost less. The power they generate can be fed into the national grid without causing major disruptions.

Most small countries in Asia and Africa do not have strong national power grids. Feeding a large volume of power into weak grids causes expensive breakdowns.

The reactors that India plans to export are also safer. Being small, radioactive levels are lower. Even in the worst case, radioactive contaminations would not pose a major hazard.
India's PHWRs use natural uranium which means no enrichment. Uranium enrichment is expensive, time-consuming, and could aid in bomb-making, the core of Iran's problem.
In sum, India is well-poised to export small reactors backed with powerful nuclear heavy engineering skills. Reactor exports bring politico-military leverages which should assist in India's emerging major power status.
Note the countries are in the rim of china.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

What is the "quality" of the ore in the new find? IIRC quality of Indian Ore is supposed to very poor(?)
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

vic wrote:What is the "quality" of the ore in the new find? IIRC quality of Indian Ore is supposed to very poor(?)

We have found an estimated 150k tons of Uranium (the Uranium "ore" will be a lot more). The quantity of the fissile U 235 will be 0.72 % like everywhere else. This is because all portions of the earth were formed at the same time. Fraction of U-235 will be 0.72*150K ton .
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

ramana wrote:The Tummalapalle find is very important. It reduces the leverage for foreign suppliers and their sanctions regime under new disguises.
It is rather an old find. Work was going on for quite some time. The news is being highlighted now to let some elements know where they stand on 123.