India-US Strategic News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Post by chaanakya »

arun wrote:

Let us see if good sense is going to prevail and the US Government will now stop attempting to trifle with the legal immunities of Indian diplomats present in the US.

Meanwhile it is hoped that any privileges that the US has not granted to Indian diplomats in the US will not be given to US diplomats in India. Strict reciprocity must be the order of the day. Further service conditions for India’s diplomatic corps must be revised to bar those who have spouses with US citizenship from serving as Indian diplomats.
It is too much to expect sense for USDA who would be licking his wounds like a mad and injured dog.
Yes changes are much needed in India's diplomatic corps and its diplomatic preactices. Strict reciprocality must be ensured and continued.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

New Delhi: While the United States has cleared Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade of the charges against her, there is trouble brewing for her back home. The Indian government has found that Khobragade's two daughters had American passports as well as Indian diplomatic passports.

Holding dual citizenship is a crime under the Indian law. Khobragade's daughters are American citizens. The MEA has said that it is investigating as to how Khobragade acquired passports for her daughters.

Khobragade's father Uttam Khobragade has said that his granddaughters had to get US passports made to be able to fly out of US.

----
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Once all this hoo haa about the Samosa Stuffer's violations of DK are over, I hope the next government will investigate Khobragade Senior's role in the Adarsh scandal.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

See, this stuff about bringing up "Adarsh" or "dual passports" is precisely why India gets kicked around. Read the comments at the TOIlet http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 913140.cms

and you see the whole list of p1ssants undermining Indian national interest, to kiss up to any gora however brutal or unjust they may be.

The issue here is an extortion scam run by a crooked bunch of arrogant bozos (probably all on deputation to the Ukraine desk for the past 2 months, judging by the performance there). But EVEN WHEN an American judge did the obvious and only possible thing, which is to dismiss the charges on the grounds that the indictment was illegal, Indians want to clamor saying:

No no no no yaar! Eeeph eet eej an Indian she MUST bee guilty onlee!

I have a question for all the "adarsh scam" AAPs here (abhiskecc, sorry I have to seem to pick on you bro... NOT doing so - I read what you said, and I happen to agree with that part. But it is totally irrelevant to bring it up in context of DK's mistreatment.) I am talking about the Einsteins posting on the TOIlet comments section under their article.

How many of you can honestly say that if you were offered a flat in a high-rise in a prime part of Mumbai at a ludicrously low rate, and it was approved by the highest authorities (Maharashtra CM), you would REFUSE it, citing MOHAWG (Mawral High Graund)?

Anyone who claims that is dishonest not only with others but also deluded. Candidate for next South Manhattan US Prosecutor. As for "dual passports", have you thought about that? These are little kids. First time they travel, they are probably entered on Mom's passport, or Dad's passport. Then they may or may not get another passport. You don't really KNOW that DK's kids were holding TWO valid passports simultaneously, do you? Where did you get that from? I know... the report from the same jackasses who claimed "inside sources" that "GOI is mad at DK because she didn't board the afternoon AI flight from JFK" when the truth is that this was made essential to dismiss the indictment. How many times does one have to be proven wrong before one has to start asking:

Am I REALLY an Einstein after all?

Look at yourselves in a mirror to see the ppl who demean and undermine India. Read the comments in TOI, and you come away saying:

These people are mentally, total sh1ts, hain!!
rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

^^Looks and stinks like a motivated effort to discredit Indian position. I wouldn't put it past the disgraceful massa, and their Indian slaves in "fixing" the comment section as well. Manufacturing opinion as always.

US attorney is behaving exactly like a saying in Tamil. "Kuppura vizundalum meesaila mannu ottala", meaning "feeling proud that there is no sand in the moustache, even after falling flat on one's face".
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Its partial judgement and shows the effort to give a way out for USDA which is refusing to do so.
The arrest itself was illegal. Immunity comes from the work that the diplomat does and not beauce some grand poobah in SD agrees with it.
The fact that Kerry had to meet Ombaba prior ot the granting of the immunity shows the entire system is broken.

How many times do we have to tell the folks not bring local issues into this thread?

abhishekcc I have to warn you now to show we are serious. I had to warn others earlier in December.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

I don't get it-- not a ping of regret anywhere. No reconciliation with facts here or in the media. What happens when the DA cant convene a second jury? All is forgotten? "Normalcy" restored in relations?

This is NOT how you get treated like a human being these days. Stand on principle and dont jump off at the first opportunity for face saving for the other party. Yet, no statements from MEA either.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

rgsrini wrote: US attorney is behaving exactly like a saying in Tamil. "Kuppura vizundalum meesaila mannu ottala", meaning "feeling proud that there is no sand in the moustache, even after falling flat on one's face".
Shouldn't it be more like "Proudly brandishing his b@lls after getting his mijjile chopped off"?
Multatuli
BRFite

Post by Multatuli »

UlanBatori wrote

See, this stuff about bringing up "Adarsh" or "dual passports" is precisely why India gets kicked around. Read the comments at the TOIlet
This attitude of Indians is truly unique.

What's Adarsh got to do with Devyani Khobragade and the criminal treatment she was subjected to by US authorities?

Why should DK's father be singled out for a special treatment by the next government?

UlanBatori ji, the gora's *fully understand and capitalize on* the mindset you describe and quite rightly criticize. This mindset/attitude is a manifestation of deep seated envy: these Indians will always side with gora's to bring down another Indian and they will never dare to compete with the gora's (much less challenge them).

Of course, they also lack basic nyaay (logic, integrity in thinking).

This is not meant as a personal attack on anyone.
rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

^^I don't know if you notice the irony in your post.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

rgsrini wrote:^^I don't know if you notice the irony in your post.
Lets see,

Grouses:
Ant: duck ,
Monkey: spanish duck ,
Camel: duck's uncle,
Elephant: strategic duck.

Bystanders:
Duck: duck!

Look at the strategic irony.

Er...a word.
Last edited by Shreeman on 14 Mar 2014 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

saip wrote:Now that the indictment is gone they have to represent the case to another Grand Jury and obtain a fresh indictment. Looks like there are three immunities:
1. Consular immunity, which is limited and applies only to official acts.
2. Full immunity when DK was assigned to UNO from August but which was never claimed and the SD never officially granted it
3. Full immunity which Dk acquired on Jan 8th at 5:47 pm
(the SD expressly granted this)
Court only dealt with the third one and said because she had immunity on 9th the indictment must be dismissed.
Immunity at 2 was not commented on by the court (I dont remember if Ashrak claimed it either).
UlanBatori wrote:Aha! IOW, go that route, and Ham-il-Burger ul Manhattani steps into a malicious harassment lawsuit.
I'm no expert but I think this was a well discussed and crafted "judgment" taking into account various legal angles. My feeling is that if Herr Honor had dealt with point No2 in Saip ji's post then the only option she would have had IMO is to declare that her arrest in December and subsequent events was illegal. I don't see how there could be any other ruling considering the fact that Arshack reportedly submitted a letter from the UN concurring that DK indeed enjoyed full immunity under UN protocols in December. IMO it does not matter if DK pointed that out or not.

Now, if the Herr Honor had ruled in that manner then I think it would have opened our Samosa lover and his cohorts to all manner of ungli via court actions. However, in this present situation all that is being said, if I'm reading this correctly, is that the indictment in court in January is not tenable because at that time DK enjoyed immunity. That's not a comment on the arrest and investigation in itself IMO. In fact if you take this line of reasoning further I think it would explain why the babus sat on DK's immunity status for so long. This line of action was probably gammed as a way to save face.

One other point: This tendency to bring up Adarash in conversation about DK's treatment shows, to me at least, that Indians in general are good and even great "tactical thinkers" but are very poor at "strategic thinking".

A lot of folks are mad at the Adarash scandal (or at least pretend they are) and so they see the tactical advantage of linking up the DK court case with her father in the Adarash case in order to bring down the Khobragades a notch.

However they fail to realise the strategic blunder that occurs when the two cases are linked. To wit, it gives Uncle Sam and his mouthpieces the opportunity of linking the two as well. And when they do that they are given a say in Indian affairs. Why should Uncle Sam have a say in something like the Adarash scandal? India and Indians will decide what to do here.

The other point is what happened to DK should be viewed not on a personal level. It is injustice perpetrated on an Indian official who also happens to be a woman. And "cavity search" is termed as custodial rape in the new rape laws put in force after the Nirbhaya case in Delhi. So the issue is a senior Indian official was treated to "custodial rape" soley on the basis of some testimony given by her house keeper who, all evidence suggests, was/is gaming the system to get a residency status. Does it really matter if this said official's father is the most corrupt person in the world? This is the prestige of the Indian institution at stake not the Khobragade clan's prestige.

IMO it helps to keep things in perspective when commenting on an issue.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rgsrini wrote:^^I don't know if you notice the irony in your post.
+1 :D
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rgsrini wrote: US attorney is behaving exactly like a saying in Tamil. "Kuppura vizundalum meesaila mannu ottala", meaning "feeling proud that there is no sand in the moustache, even after falling flat on one's face".
Interesting - there is an exact similar saying in Kannada
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/world/us-surprised-over-dismissal-of-devyanis-indictment/article5783890.ece
The Obama Administration has expressed “surprise” over the dismissal of a federal indictment against Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade in the visa fraud case.

“We were surprised by the dismissal of the indictment against former Indian Deputy Consul General Devyani Khobragade,” State Department Spokesperson Jen Paki said, a day after a New York court dismissed the indictment against Ms. Khobragade.

George Abraham, Chairman of Indian National Overseas Congress (I) USA, welcomed the decision to dismiss the indictment against Ms. Devyani Khobragade.

Whatever the merit of the case, it has become a major irritant to the U.S.-India relationship and something had to happen to resume normalcy,” he said in a statement.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

For the record:
“We welcome this ruling, which dismisses the January 9 indictment of Khobragade and vacates any arrest warrant in the existing case,” External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said in a written statement.

“We note that the judgment does not consider the merits of the case or our well-known position, including on the admissibility of the arrest of Devyani Khobragade in December 2013. Given the importance both sides attach to their bilateral strategic partnership, [the] government hopes to see further progress in this matter in a manner consistent with international norms and conventions.”
Link
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

amit wrote:For the record:
“We welcome this ruling, which dismisses the January 9 indictment of Khobragade and vacates any arrest warrant in the existing case,” External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said in a written statement.

“We note that the judgment does not consider the merits of the case or our well-known position, including on the admissibility of the arrest of Devyani Khobragade in December 2013. Given the importance both sides attach to their bilateral strategic partnership, [the] government hopes to see further progress in this matter in a manner consistent with international norms and conventions.”
Link
Just for the record as well, why do we note these things. Would the press release not been much better without this sentence?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

If interested:
Judgement

Read it, it is very stinging against PB ... certainly making PB look like what he should look like.
(Judge did not find merit in any of his arguments)

Hope for a multiple massive civil suits in US coming years. I also hope criminal case also follows against those who misused the power. PB may have some prosecution immunity but not investigators and police officers. In Indian courts, PB and the gang will have no immunity and I hope Indian courts look at this episode to bring justice.
Last edited by Amber G. on 14 Mar 2014 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

For the record Press release by our Ministry of External Affairs regards the dismissal of indictment against Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade by a US Court.

MEA is clearly not ecstatic about the judgment given the comment “We note that the judgment does not consider the merits of the case, or our well-known position, including on the admissibility of the arrest of Devyani Khobragade in December 2013.”

To reiterate, let us see if good sense is going to prevail and the US Government will now stop attempting to trifle with the legal immunities of Indian diplomats present in the US.

Meanwhile it is hoped that any privileges that the US has not granted to Indian diplomats in the US will not be given to US diplomats in India. Strict reciprocity must be the order of the day. Further service conditions for India’s diplomatic corps must be revised to bar those who have spouses with US citizenship from serving as Indian diplomats. :
Dismissal of indictment against Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade by a US Court

March 13, 2014

In response to a media question on the dismissal of indictment against Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade by a US Court the official Spokesperson stated:

" We have seen the March 12 ruling of the Hon’ble Judge in the United States District Court at the Southern District of New York. We welcome this ruling, which dismisses the January 9 indictment against Devyani Khobragade and vacates any arrest warrant in the existing case.

We note that the judgment does not consider the merits of the case, or our well-known position, including on the admissibility of the arrest of Devyani Khobragade in December 2013.

Given the importance both sides attach to their bilateral strategic partnership, Government hopes to see further progress in this matter in a manner consistent with international norms and Conventions."

New Delhi
March 13, 2014
From here: Clicky
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

From above:
IV. DISCUSSION
It is undisputed that Khobragade acquired full diplomatic immunity at
5:47 PM on January 8, 2014, and did not lose that immunity until her departure
from the country on the evening ofJanuary 9,2014.20 On January 9, immediately
following the return of the Indictment, Khobragade appeared before the Court
through counsel and moved to dismiss the case. Because the Court lacked
jurisdiction over her
at that time, and at the time the Indictment was returned, the
motion must be granted.21
{Didn't your's truly had some think akin to this posted here :) )}

The Government argues that the Indictment should not be dismissed
because Khobragade did not have diplomatic immunity at the time of her arrest,
and has no immunity at the present time.22 In support, the Government submits a
declaration from Steven Kerr, Attorney-Advisor in the Office ofthe Legal Advisor
ofthe United States Department ofState. Kerr concludes that "Dr. Khobragade
did not enjoy immunity from arrest or detention at the time ofher arrest in this
case, and she does not presently enjoy immunity from prosecution for the crimes
charged in the Indictment.,,23
Even assuming Kerr's conclusions to be correct, the case must be
dismissed
based on Khobragade's conceded immunity on January 9,2014. The
fact that Khobragade lost full diplOlmtic immunity when she left the country does
not cure the lack ofjurisdiction when she was indicted. Courts in civil cases have
dismissed claims against individuals who had diplomatic immunity at an earlier
stage of proceedings, even ifthey no longer possessed immunity at the time
dismissal was sought.24 These courts reasoned that the lack ofjurisdiction at the
time of the relevant procedural acts, such as service ofprocess, rendered those acts
void. Because Khobragade moved to dismiss on January 9,2014, the motion must
be decided in reference to her diplomatic status on that date.
Similarly, Khobragade's status at the time ofher arrest is not
determinative. The State Department has explained that "criminal immunity
precludes the exercise ofjurisdiction by the courts over an individual whether the
incident occurred prior to or during theperiod in which such immunity exists.,,25
Furthermore, several courts have held that diplomatic immunity acquired during
the pendency ofproceedings destroys jurisdiction even ifthe suit was validly
commenced before immunity applied. For example, in Abdulaziz v. Metropolitan
Dade County, the Eleventh Circuit concluded that diplomatic immunity "serves as
a defense to suits already commenced.,,26 The court found that the "action was
properly dismissed when immunity was acquired and the court was so notified.,,27
Lower courts have cited and followed Abdulaziz in the absence of binding case law
in other circuits.28
The Court notes that Abdulaziz involval civil claims rather than
criminal charges. However, the Government has not cited any criminal case in
which immunity was acquired after arrest,
and the Court is not aware of any such
case.29 Abdulaziz is persuasive precedent given that the standard for dismissing
criminal and civil cases based on diplomatic immunity is the same.30 Furthermore,
because diplomatic immunity is a jurisdictional bar, it is logical to dismiss
proceedings the moment immunity is acquired. Even if Khobragade had no
immunity at the time ofher arrest and has none now, her acquisition of immunity
during the pendency ofproceedings mandates dismissal.

The Court has no occasion to decide whether the acts charged in the
Indictment constitute "official acts"
that would be protected by residual immunity.
However, if the acts charged in the Indictment were not "performed in the exercise
of official functions," then there is currently no bar to a new indictment against
Khobragade.31 Khobragade concedes that "[t]he prosecution is clearly legally able
to seek a new indictment at this time or at some point in the future now that [she]
no longer possesses [] diplomatic status and immunity ...."32 However, the
Government may not proceed on an Indictment obtained when Khobragade was
immune from the jurisdiction of the Court.

v. CONCLUSION

For the foregoing reasons, Khobragade's motion to dismiss the
Indictment on the ground of diplormtic immunity is granted. Khobragade's
conditions of bail are terminated, and her bond is exonerated. It is ordered that any
open arrest warrants based on this Indictment must be vacated. The Clerk of the
Court is directed to close this motion (Dkt. No. 15) and this case.
Last edited by Amber G. on 14 Mar 2014 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

It's over as far as GoI is concerned, unless they start dicking about again on this particular case. Which is possible, given the stupidly cussed mood of GoTUS right now regarding, well, just about everything. But no one gives a crap. We'll play by the book, as we consistently did, in this case.

That fool Bharara will pay a heavy price politically for this moronic act of misplaced self-propagation. Mama does not forget. Some tough love is forthcoming.

Mrs. Khobragade will have some questions to answer, away from the flashlights, in some quiet room with some smiling babus and, of course, chai-biskoot. No more lethal place on the planet if you're dependent. It's probably already started.

As for the retarded pearl smuggler and her bone-thug, their own mental capacities are about all the punishment they need. And their retention at the State Department will be punishment enough for Foggy Bottom.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Shreeman wrote:
Just for the record as well, why do we note these things. Would the press release not been much better without this sentence?
FYI, the bolded portion shows that GoI accepts the judgment with a caveat. And this gives the GoI freedom to pursue various future courses of action if it so chooses. The judgment was out, the GoI had to give an official statement. They did that. If the bolded portion was not in the statement it would have implied the GoI was 100 per cent happy with the outcome. But that would have curtailed any potential for future manoeuvre if the situation so warrants. I think this should be obvious.

For reference:
amit wrote:For the record:

Link
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Amber G. wrote:
Hope for a multiple massive civil suits in US coming years. I also hope criminal case also follows against those who misused the power. PB may have some prosecution immunity but not investigators and police officers. In Indian courts, PB and the gang will have no immunity and I hope Indian courts look at this episode to bring justice.
Amber,

Just asking. Do you think civil/criminal suits are possible given the crafty judgement?

From your excerpts:
Even if Khobragade had no immunity at the time ofher arrest and has none now, her acquisition of immunity
during the pendency ofproceedings mandates dismissal.
I read this as a sign that Herr Honnor very cleverly sidestepping the issue of whether the arrest and strip search on Dec 12 was legal or not, particularly given the letter from UN which DK's lawyer presented in court. And so as of today we have no judgement on the legality or otherwise of the arrest and mistreatment on December 12. So on what basis would the civil/criminal suits be filed?

Please note I'm not disputing your point, just trying to understand the issue.

Thanks.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Everything has a silver lining. Papa and Miss Khobragade got treatment which is rather Karmic. The Uniformed Goon , Wayne May and his Pearl Smuggling fishwife Alicia May got their day in the sun thanks to their smuggling out Sangeeta's family ,and of course Paco Sahib and his protein rations got exalted status.

Yes, the American School's shenanigans got exposed and the episode gave the Ministry of External affairs a great opportunity to cut the privileges of the Americans to an equal-equal, which they did and couldn't have accomplished earlier without some serious fallout.

All in all, the Yankees shot themselves in the foot and got "Anmauled" and lost their day in court as well, and have nothing to show for all their efforts at the end of day.

Score.. India wins in court, cuts the American embassy folks privileges down to size and "Anmauls" two very egregious retards and sends them packing.

America - Lost in court, gets Wayne Goon May and Fishwife May exposed , lost privileges in India , embittered the MEA which is now determined to give it back in equal measure and accomplished nothing at all, not even a face saver , and the larger goal of "slavery/wages/whatever" is fully lost and drowned out. If this doesn't result in some serious firing of the nitwits in State Dept who initiated all this, I wonder what will.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

vina wrote:Everything has a silver lining. Papa and Miss Khobragade got treatment which is rather Karmic.
JE Menon wrote:
Mrs. Khobragade will have some questions to answer, away from the flashlights, in some quiet room with some smiling babus and, of course, chai-biskoot. No more lethal place on the planet if you're dependent. It's probably already started.
:( :eek:
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

PB and SD dont realize they have been played by a drunkard and a maid? So the drunkard Richard sahib divorces his faithful maid a month after he gets his visa. Whatever happened to the Indian journalists in USA? They don't seem to be interested in talking this scheming couple.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Vina Dont forget
- DUI Richards is getting freedom from his wie in US.
- And she is most likely with the doorman friend.
- Delhi public got the Naya street back
- No more duty free liquor for moochers in Delhi
- American school to pay back taxes. Good for Chidambaram's budget
und so weiter (so on and so forth as my prof in IIM used to say!)

Alls well that ends well.

Mrs Richards the mother-in-law is free of her termagant D-i-l too!
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Yup, this bunch of cons shafted everyone... their main "helpers" in particular, i.e. the pearl-smuggler and thugster.

Hilarious.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Alla* pee Braised!

The High-Caste yindoo Breet Parara was soundly thrashed (phigurtively sbeaking, like Shahid Afridi did to SDRE Hash-wean) by SC wimmens DK. Worse than losing to a goat!

But the less-kuffar Phil-eep gets to stay in Yoo Ess like Son-bin-Musharraf.

the True Winner is the Pakistani Doorman. He gets a(nother) bibi who knows how to change diapers. AND wears cool RayBans like a Kashmiri Jehadi.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

If they dont file a new indictment, the statute of limitation will have run its course in 3 (or 7) years or so and DK is free to come to USA if she so wishes. Now with this divorce thing PB must be cursing himself for getting screwed by the maid :D , I mean which jury (not the grand jury) would believe her when her husband calls her a liar and a cheat.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

UlanBatori wrote:Alla* pee Braised!

The High-Caste yindoo Breet Parara was soundly thrashed (phigurtively sbeaking, like Shahid Afridi did to SDRE Hash-wean) by SC wimmens DK. Worse than losing to a goat!

But the less-kuffar Phil-eep gets to stay in Yoo Ess like Son-bin-Musharraf.

the True Winner is the Pakistani Doorman. He gets a(nother) bibi who knows how to change diapers. AND wears cool RayBans like a Kashmiri Jehadi.
OT perhaps but seriously, there is a lesson here: 1. No doubt that PB's upper-caste antecedents, reinforced by the Ivies, meant that he would take a lot for granted, especially when dealing with desis. 2. In today's India, despite all the desperate pity that goras & the upper caste elite insist on pouring on SCs / BCs / OBCs as being oppressed-slaves-only, it is time to consider that the latter are coming into their own, and one messes with them at one's own peril. SR played the system and the gora/upper-caste decadence to the max, and for her part DK fought back like a cornered tigress; both DK (SC) and SR (non-UC) women won and PB (UC) and the goras lost.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

As suspected, Uncle is in a cussed mood. Devyani re-indicted.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

^^ Source ? I don't see anything on google news.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Sorry, Times Now ticker quoting PTI
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

So he's betting that India won't defend this time? Or he's painted himself into a corner?
Because it's getting very close to prosecutorial misconduct, his not DROPPING the first indictment before the ruling came out, given the blatant nonsense of the first one. Arskack said on the first day that PB was wrong about the law, and wrong about the facts.
Now one has to ensure that the DUI and his bibi are well and truly divorced b4 putting them both on the stand and getting them to turn on each other.
Which raises an interesting question. Arshack's submission said very obligingly that the prosecution was free to re-indict, but the first indictment was illegal. Wonder why he said that in writing. :?: :mrgreen: HerOnner repeated that statement in her judgement. Both sounded like a red rag being waved in front of a bull. Prosecutor's H&D very much put on the line.

AmberG?

OTOH, I would say that it is time for some friendly vijits to AES by Dilli Polis Cav-e-Tea Search Team
Last edited by UlanBatori on 14 Mar 2014 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

End of day folks, Unkil is a B (female dog) and a slave of H&D, just like the Bakis. He will re-indict, re-prosecute again after getting a new jury if the current one does not do 'its job'. Even the judge may be changed to get 'it done'. The job being protection of H&D.

As much as I dont wish ill on people, I just hope our DUI man will commit a felony DUI sometime or the other. Unkil will have no option but to grin and bear it :)
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Thanks. I know double jeopardy doesn't apply here, but what are the rules regarding indicting someone on precisely the same charge as previously, once the case is dismissed ? There's no new evidence in the case, at least none with damages Devyani, just Sangeetha and her now divorced husband. Isn't there any legal provision against those trying the same thing again and again hoping for a different result ?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

But it hasn't come to trial. PB is betting that it never does. The arrest warrant is also voided, so now since he has an indictment he can claim there is an arrest warrant. This ensures that DK does not set foot in US, HOWEVER, she still can if she comes under Dip. Imm. BUT then she can't defend case, can she, because she can still be sentenced to jail.

If there was no re-indictment, sooner or later the window for that would expire, and it would be open soccer season on prosecutor's musharraf. Both in civil lawsuit, in COTUS investigation forcing SD investigation, forcing NY state Gov. soul-searching, and then soccer come election time. So PB has painted his musharraf into a corner.

Question remains: Why did Arshack practically invite/beg him to go this course? Like, when I was charged with making Illegal Left Turn onto a 1-way street (motorcycle cop got confused and wrote "left turn" when he meant "right turn") I pleaded:
Not guilty, yuwar Honner! As in I did not do what I am accused of doing. I most certainly did NOT add:
He SHOULD have accused me of making an illegal RIGHT turn...

No defense lawyer tells the prosecution how to make more trouble for his defendant. His suggestion has to be taken as:
Oh welcome into my web, said Spider to the Fly
Hope it wasn't just a bluff, that he really has a major jhapad ready to deliver. He DID say "would be ill-advised" - but that was more waving red rag. Totally humiliating for PB had he meekly accepted that and run away with tail between his cheeks.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Suraj wrote: There's no new evidence in the case, at least none with damages Devyani, just Sangeetha and her now divorced husband. Isn't there any legal provision against those trying the same thing again and again hoping for a different result ?
You cannot prosecute again for the same crime precisely because of what you raise as a question.. This "re-indictment" is all garam-hawa.

As Amerikhans do: "Declare victory and then surrender."., In this case "Declare victory, surrender and then blame the opponent for their defeat".