Indo-UK News & Discussion 9th Aug 2011

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Re: Indo-UK News & Discussion 9th Aug 2011

Post by Prem »

Argentina to buy Brahmos
Argentina to raise Falklands UK 'militarisation' at UN
Argentina is to make a formal complaint to the United Nations about British "militarisation" around the disputed Falkland Islands. President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner made the announcement at a meeting of MPs, senior officials, and veterans of the 1982 war Argentina fought with Britain over the islands. Tensions between the two countries have been increasing in recent weeks. Last month, the UK said it was sending a destroyer to the region
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

yeh moon owrr Masuur ki Dal, wah re Wah o UQ Lal

Remember When We Angered Enemies?
I sure hope the next president sends their Secretary of State to Britain in early 2013 with a "reset" button (tip to Instapundit):Britain was forced to plead with the US to take part in the flotilla challenging Iranian power in the Gulf after American commanders decided the Royal Navy had nothing to contribute to the mission.Leading from behind. Alienating from the front. Whatever
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Aid to India to continue, says UK
http://www.rediff.com/news/report/aid-t ... 120207.htm
Prime Minister David Cameron has reaffirmed Britain's decision to continue its aid programme to India [ Images ], amidst a row sparked by some ruling Conservative members of Parliament demanding an end to it, and reports that India did not need it.
The prime minister's spokesman said: "We have reviewed our aid commitments to India. We continue to think it is right to stick to those aid commitments. We continue to provide aid to India, but we focus it on the three poorest states."He added, "The reason we are doing that is because a huge number of the poorest people in the world live in these states. The government has always been very clear about sticking to its aid commitments and the fact that it would not balance the books on the backs of the poorest people in the world. It is going to stick to that."International Development Secretary Andrew Mitchell on Monday defended the aid, and said: "We will not be in India for ever but now is not the time to quit. Our completely revamped programme is in India's and Britain's national interest and is a small part of a much wider relationship between our two countries".He, however, added, "We are changing our approach to India. We will target aid at three of India's poorest states, rather than the central government. We will invest more in the private sector, with our aid programme having some of the characteristics of a sovereign wealth fund
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

U.K. wants enduring defence ties - Hindu
After the sharp reaction following India's decision to go in for the French Rafale multirole fighter aircraft, the British are attempting to come round and grudgingly accept the loss of Eurofighter Typhoon in the over $10-billion deal.

Hours before Britain announced that it would continue to provide aid to India under development programme, Minister for International Security Strategy Gerald Howarth told an audience here on Monday how the country was “deeply disappointed” over the development but chose to dwell upon the opportunities that lie ahead in the sector for both the countries in building a partnership for mutual benefit.

“We must be ambitious and think long term. Building a strong and enduring strategic partnership is like building a partnership between two great batsmen in a Test match. There will be dot balls, bouncers, and, I dare say, the odd googly … But great players draw on all their previous shared experience. It gives you an immediate psychological edge over the bowlers. And it makes building a match-winning innings just that little bit easier and more certain,” Mr. Howarth said here on the occasion of a U.K.-India Defence Industry Conference under the auspices of the Indian Defence Ministry and trade associations at the India Habitat Centre here.

The Minister referred to three recent defence deals in which the British benefited through BAE Systems Hawk advanced trainer jet and AgustaWestland AW101 helicopter that the Indian Air Force is procuring for VVIP travel and Sonardyne's Sentinel underwater surveillance system.

Interestingly, data suggests that the U.K. has been one of the leading countries from which India has imported arms and that too consistently. The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) database shows that Britain has exported arms worth $ 15.34 billion between 1950 and 2010, which is the third largest after the then Soviet Union/Russia and the United States of America.

Compare this to imports in the same period to the tune of $4 billion from France, $1.9 billion from Germany and $146 million from Italy. The last two countries along with Spain, are part of the four-nation European Consortium, EADS that builds Eurofighter. Reports state that EADS holds 46 per cent shares in Dassault Aviation, the French firm that manufactures Rafale.

In the run-up to the Medium Multi Role Combat Aircraft campaign, Germany was identified as the lead-nation to counter the competition from the French. One European campaign planner mentioned a year ago how the four nations have decided to work collectively on the political level anticipating hard-sell by the French at the highest level.

On the other hand, after American companies — Boeing and Lockheed Martin — got knocked out last year some campaign planners from the country questioned the strategy wherein these two entered competition as firms instead of giving a push as a country.
sunnydee

Post by sunnydee »

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/the-9- ... /223162?hp

Balanced debate - well conducted...as i have said shouldnt be bothered about what they say plus in my opinion this was issue went ballastic because it was internal uk politics being played at an international level..the tory press got a chance to attack primarily a lib dem influenced policy....
member_21708
BRFite

Post by member_21708 »

DFID, british aid agency http://www.dfid.gov.uk/News/Latest-news ... te-change/
Private investment to help tackle climate change
Britain will spearhead a new drive to bring major private investment to help tackle the global threat of climate change and help boost economic growth, International Development Secretary Andrew Mitchell announced today at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

Through two new commercial funds, the Climate Public Private Partnership is expected to bring in at least £30 of private capital for every pound provided by the British taxpayer. This will help support projects to deliver clean, renewable and efficient energy, new technology and protect natural resources in emerging and developing countries.

By investing in new solar, wind and hydroelectric power plants and technology the initiative is expected to generate more than 7,000 megawatts of clean, reliable energy - equivalent to 66 per cent of current UK renewable energy capacity – and create 40,000 jobs.
The funds will be run on a strict commercial basis by professional fund managers demonstrating that investment in climate projects in developing countries offers real opportunities for investors.
Profit is the motive, not aid as loudly proclaimed
International Development Secretary Andrew Mitchell said:
“This project is firmly in Britain’s economic interest. Boosting growth across the world will open up markets to British goods and services in the fastest growing economies. Our investment will have some of the characteristics of a Sovereign Wealth Fund by providing returnable capital which will earn a return for the British taxpayer as well as drive forward growth in the developing world.”
Money dubbed aid is being used to fund british capitalists to invest in clean technology, while the aid receiving nation will be forced to open their markets to this receive this 'Aid'. This 'Aid' will benefit britain by creating captive markets for british products in India, increasing wealth and creating jobs in britian, while back home they paint India as the villian for stealing british money.

This is colonalism by another name, back then british capitalists would loot and kill in the name of 'civilizing' and 'spreading western values'. Now 'Aid' is PR speak for "buy our products while we encourage our public to abuse you".

Enough of climate change and this Aid scam. Manmohan should politely refuse to take any of these 'aid' and ask them to find some other nation to be their captive market which can tolerate the unending verbal abuses of the uninformed british public.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

what if the investment is made in an indian clean tech firm that develops usable technology appropriate for indian conditions?
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

^^^ That's a win-win but it comes with an 'if'.

*If* the brits want to partner India in some mutually beneficial project of sorts, they should do so without the 'aid' tag dangling alongside. However, knowing the brits as this country does, the extent and symmetry of the mutuality of purported benefits is suspect. Highly so.
member_21708
BRFite

Post by member_21708 »

Lalmohan wrote:what if the investment is made in an indian clean tech firm that develops usable technology appropriate for indian conditions?
who gets to take home the profit? the british investor.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

return on equity is not the same as profit
besides, that is how all international trade works
who ever takes the trouble to invest should get the return no?
the indian firm is always welcome to take the investment from an indian investor, or a siberian one - does it really matter?
the laws of the land have various prescriptions in place as to who can do what and who can take what...
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Hari Seldon wrote:^^^ That's a win-win but it comes with an 'if'.

*If* the brits want to partner India in some mutually beneficial project of sorts, they should do so without the 'aid' tag dangling alongside. However, knowing the brits as this country does, the extent and symmetry of the mutuality of purported benefits is suspect. Highly so.
agreed - it should be on commercial terms only. not aid
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Some folks are really touchy these days.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

The DFID 'aid' program should be called what it is - profit-driven venture capital. One cannot begin to debate a matter before calling it by its proper name.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

I am a long time lurker here and decided to jump in and make an official id after seeing the khujli among the angrez animals on us rejecting their plane.

I have been catching up on the insecurity/inferiority thread in GDF with great interest since I saw so many references to it. Even before realizing that we might be collectively suffering from insecurity, I was always been on the look out for general displays of insecurity or self doubt among any society, I have seen it in massaland, UQstan, TSP, China (yes, China! ) any country for that matter.

The one single marker/or giveaway of a piskologically insecure mindset is the defence of ones ehhandee at any cost, even if the cost is burning bridges, antagonizing the population, name calling, shaming, dirty tricks etc. The more insecure and self doubting you are the dirtier the tricks get. This is true especially if you dont accept reality. While we all dont accept reality to some extent, the ones that are truly delusional, get truly dirty.

As we know our long lost Porki bhais and benns have been doing this for ages. We Indians are living in dirt, we are corrupt, we are SDRE, we are Hindoooo casteist vegetarians who drink cowpee and worship idols.

That is fine for a Porki, he has nothing else to look forward to. And since he has defined his identity as anything but Indian it is mandatory and obligatory for anyone who calls himself Paki to defend his or her own H&D by saying how different they are from Indians and how bad those Yindoooooo banias are.

However, I get really confused when a TFTA stiff upper lip gora angrez sahib does it. I mean, does it mean that the TFTA angrez is insecure? Does it mean that he is defining his or her own identity as being relative to SDRE India? I live in massaland and thankfully have very little contact with the stiff upper lip variety, so I have no clue on what they really think, other than reading the tabloid quality mud slinging thats coming from the UQstan "news" outlets. The picture it paints is a sorry one, of sore insecure losers who have lost touch with reality and also have no clue who they are.

I want to start an FB page that states this: "UK we dont need your aid, and you begged us to reconsider, beggars cannot be chosers so don't tell us what plane to buy, please go shove your peanuts up where the sun don't shine". Anyone up for it?
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ brits have accepted that they no longer rule the waves and are resentful of it
it would seem relatively few indians (atleast on BRF) have understood the former part
britain may be a rich country, but it has a small fraction of the power and influence it once had
in decades to come, india will shoot far ahead
sunnydee

Post by sunnydee »

LokeshC wrote:
However, I get really confused when a TFTA stiff upper lip gora angrez sahib does it. I mean, does it mean that the TFTA angrez is insecure? Does it mean that he is defining his or her own identity as being relative to SDRE India? I live in massaland and thankfully have very little contact with the stiff upper lip variety, so I have no clue on what they really think, other than reading the tabloid quality mud slinging thats coming from the UQstan "news" outlets. The picture it paints is a sorry one, of sore insecure losers who have lost touch with reality and also have no clue who they are.
The national self recognised pastime of the brits is moaning....Its in their DNA ( well for the english at least)...Infact George Orwell said "The English are not happy unless they are miserable..."...though that does not mean that they are not confident about themselves.....
Last edited by sunnydee on 10 Feb 2012 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
sunnydee

Post by sunnydee »

Lalmohan wrote:^^^ brits have accepted that they no longer rule the waves and are resentful of it
it would seem relatively few indians (atleast on BRF) have understood the former part
britain may be a rich country, but it has a small fraction of the power and influence it once had
in decades to come, india will shoot far ahead
+1...true though the elite had tried to stop the decrease of power and influence by joining the European Project. Actually the whole of Europe had understood that and therefore the european project....i am not sure they are resentful because i think its again the moaning trait in play....
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

Brits are wrong on so many count that I would not even know where to begin but I have to begin somewhere so I will start here: we are not even sure if it is aid. However, let us assume it is aid and it is geared towards helping poor people of India. If that is the case then their linking of this aid to a weapon's deal is equivalent to them exploiting our poor people to benefit their arms industry. This is a very shameful act on part of UK.

Here is my stand on foreign aid: We should never say no to an aid from a foreign country no matter how small it is because we have so many poor people in our country who need help. But, any country such as UK who wishes to extort India using our poor people has to be kicked out of the country immediately.

On a separate note, I agree with France in that UK does not have a reliable aerospace industry. Under these circumstances, it would be unwise to purchase aerospace products from UK for they would lack in craftsmanship and the prices would be less than competitive and that is the case with Typhoon.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

So much for the 'Brits have changed now. No, really!' line of argument - how about a formal apology for all the crimes against humanity committed in India in the name of the British crown (starting 1857 when the crown took control from the EIC) perpetuated against the people of India who never meant Britain any harm? Is that too much to ask for now, even sans any admission of legal liability or reparations?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

for that to happen you first have to convince Indians that the raj was not beneficial to India. best of luck with that.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Rahul M wrote:for that to happen you first have to convince Indians that the raj was not beneficial to India. best of luck with that.
sunnydee

Post by sunnydee »

Karan Dixit wrote: Here is my stand on foreign aid: We should never say no to an aid from a foreign country no matter how small it is because we have so many poor people in our country who need help. But, any country such as UK who wishes to extort India using our poor people has to be kicked out of the country immediately.
I dont think we should accept any kind of foreign aid unless its Indian NGO's getting fdi through private donors from abroad. Even though we have some of the poorest people living in India we need to learn how to re-prioritise our budget. I would rather we stop sending aid to africa than getting aid from abroad. As someone on the ndtv programme said there is nothing known as a free ride when it comes to international state aid. Thus no aid = no strings...
Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Post by Agnimitra »

The call for jihad against India goes out -- from Londonistan.

British Islamist Anjem Choudary Launches 'Shariah for India,' Vows to Demolish Hindu Temples and Bollywood; Muslims Urged to Join In New Delhi March Next Month Marking 88th Anniversary of the End of Islamic Caliphate
Article here.
Introduction

British Islamist Anjem Choudary and Omar Muhammad Bakri – both former leaders of British jihadist organization Al-Muhajiroun – have launched an organization called Shariah for Hind (India) to advance their agenda for reestablishing Islamic rule in India. The group has planned a major public event in New Delhi on March 3, 2012, which marks the end of the Turkey-led Islamic caliphate 88 years ago.

It should be noted that during the British rule, Indian leaders like Maulana Abul Kalam Azad and Mahatma Gandhi campaigned for the Islamic caliphate led by Turkey – Gandhi doing so perhaps to gain Muslim support against British colonial rule in India.

Shariah for Hind plans to campaign for reestablishing Islamic rule in India with an ideological agenda which outlines a much purer form of Islamic rule for the country than that which existed during various periods of rule by Muslim kings in India both before and during the British era.

According to the ideological agenda stated on the group's website, Islamic Shariah will be enforced in India; temples and statues of Hindu gods and Indian leaders such as Mahatma Gandhi will be demolished; and Bollywood, the world's largest movie industry, will be abolished in order to make way for a monotheistic Islamic rule in the country.

Shariah for Hind – Leaders and Website Details

It appears that preparations for establishing Shariah for Hind began sometime in 2011; its website was launched in January 2012.

The domain for the website was created on January 3, 2012, according to its registration details.[1] The registrant for this website is "Abu Rumaysah c/o Dynadot Privacy, PO Box 701, San Mateo, CA 94401, United States."[2]

The two leaders of this organization are identified as Sheikh Anjem Choudary and Sheikh Omar Muhammad Bakri. On the contact page of the website, these two names are published prominently: Sheikh Anjem Choudary, Judge of the UK Sharia Court, and Sheikh Omar Muhammad Bakri, who is identified as "Expert on Islamic Groups Worldwide." Bakri's phone number is given as 00961 70957759 – 961 being the country code for Lebanon. Choudary's phone number is given as 0044 7956 600 569.

The website of Sharia for Hind gives the name of its chairman as Abu Baraa and his phone contact as +44 7856827605. It also gives another phone contact, +44 7956041034, for Abu Rumaysah – Spokesman, a former Hindu, of Convert 2 Islam.

Shariah for Hind – The Ideology

"There is a Consensus among All Muslim Scholars That It is Not Permitted for Non-Muslims to Have Authority over Muslims; India Needs to Return Back to Her Glorious Islamic Past; India Needs a Muslim Revolution"

In a statement, titled "The Need for Muslim Rule in India," Shariah for Hind notes that Muslims cannot live under non-Muslim rule, stating:[3]

"There is a consensus among all Muslim scholars that it is not permitted for non-Muslims to have authority over Muslims. Allah says in the Quran, 'I have created you (Muslims) a leading Ummah (nation) in order to witness the affairs of mankind.' [EMQ 2:143]

"Islam is the only religion to have maintained its relationship with God, with a miraculous book called the Quran and meticulous sciences that ensure texts recorded during the life of the final Messenger Muhammad can be verified, understood and authenticated. This cannot be said for any of the other world religions, which have literally been lost in translation.

"Fundamentally however, Islam is not a secular religion and, unlike the 'biggest democracy in the world' [i.e. India], always refers its governance back to the supreme commander, Allah (God).

"The Islamic constitution remains intact 1400 years after its inception, and emphatically puts the Indian constitution to shame. Political parties such as the BJP [Bharatiya Janata Party] and Indian [National] Congress have let India down because just like their British predecessors they were never suited to be rulers and so ruined their country with backward and evil policies."

"India needs to return back to her glorious Islamic past. India needs a Muslim revolution."

"Indian Political Parties Have Preyed on the Muslim Community, As the Wolf Preys a Lamb; They Have Divided Us with Nationalism and Poisoned Us with Democracy"

In a statement, Shariah for Hind identified its political objective as follows:[4]

"As a nation we used to move mountains.

"The Muslim Ummah (nation) is a community unparalleled in history. At its height in power it ruled over three continents. It brought tyrants to justice and liberated the oppressed. History still records their magnificent conquests, which against all odds defeated the mightiest of superpowers.

"But somewhere along the line that bright light waned and in 2012 we (Muslims) find ourselves bizarrely under the thumbs of the very people we were meant to liberate! India is now ruled by the most incompetent, unqualified and wicked individuals who have no clue about their purpose in life, let alone how to rule a nation. The Indian constitution, just like its Pakistani and Bangladeshi counterparts, [is] an appalling attempt at law and order, a stab in the dark, a gross display of trial and error.

"Indian political parties have preyed on the Muslim community, as the wolf preys a lamb; they have divided us with nationalism and poisoned us with democracy but most significantly have made us forget what the final Messenger Muhammad (peace be upon him) was sent down for i.e. the total domination of the world by Islam.

"And so we lay defenseless, strewn and confused.

"The Shariah4Hind project has thus been launched to kick start the return of Islam in the Indian subcontinent. Raw, undiluted and without compromise; it is the wild card which will inshaa'allah (God willing) make the Indian government forget about Kashmir. It is a call to unite over half a billion Muslims to retake what is rightfully theirs and galvanize a superpower unmatched in the world.

"3rd March 2012, New Delhi, India. A new spring waits."

The Muslims versus the Non-Muslims

"The Whole of India is in Fact [a] Muslim Land, the Authority Belongs to… [Muslims] and That They Should Take It From the Current Ruling Party to Implement the Shari'ah... Instead [of] Begging for Rights from the Hindus, the Muslims in India Must Govern By the Law of the Creator Allah"

member_22605
BRFite

Post by member_22605 »

This guy should be killed(assassinated is too big a word for people like him) immediately. I really don't understand how the British are enduring such nonsense for so long now.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Carl wrote:The call for jihad against India goes out -- from Londonistan.

British Islamist Anjem Choudary Launches 'Shariah for India,' Vows to Demolish Hindu Temples and Bollywood; Muslims Urged to Join In New Delhi March Next Month Marking 88th Anniversary of the End of Islamic Caliphate
Article here.
Isn't this punishable by law now in UK? What happened to Blasphemy laws in the United Kingdom? Is this part of freedom of speech and expression?

What are the moral keepers in UK doing? Other than being silent?
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

UK has always bred fundamentalists to attack other powers like India. People like Anjam Choudary are no different from earlier ones.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

A more appropriate response would (if Shivji's and the associated "strategic restraint" types are to be believed) be to warn UK of serious repercussions if its land/resources/people are allowed to sponsor terrorism and division in India.

After all India is (sic) secular sooopelpowel, right!

Sharing opinion, not some pseudo-news as information
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

RamaY wrote:if Shivji's and the associated "strategic restraint" types are to be believed
RamaY ji a small suggestion, dont get taken in by what Shiv says, he has gone from one end to other multiple times, trying different thoughts on the way.

Even now, while he is talking about two party model (US and India with Pak being just a football) -- he has sneaked in enough suggestions that the solution is for India to "fix Pakistan" using "suitable methods using force"

Shiv is not the other "strategic restraint" types. Shiv is carrying out thought experiments, others are carrying out propaganda.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Sanku ji

I know about Shivji - he is one of my gurus on the forum. I am also a playing my role in his play ;)
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Funny, none of the India sections in Uk have all kinds of news except the ABM test. Talk about selective reporting.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Sanku wrote:UK has always bred fundamentalists to attack other powers like India. People like Anjam Choudary are no different from earlier ones.
So what are the moral keepers of UK doing? Don't moral keepers in UK talk of human rights?

If there are such groups formed in India, all kind of moral keepers will make it an international issue.

Guess aid is secular onlee by nature, whatever it means.
Atri
BRF Oldie

Post by Atri »

Times reporting an incident where an Indian was stabbed in London.
Abhi_G
BRFite

Post by Abhi_G »

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-new ... 09983.aspx
An Indian student enrolled for an MBA in the UK was critically stabbed in the London borough of Newham on Friday night, Scotland Yard said on Saturday.

Eleven people have been arrested in connection with the stabbing. Scotland Yard did not name the victim, but said he is
in hospital in a critical condition.

Media reports have identified the victim as Praveen Reddy, who was enrolled for an MBA at the London Business School.

"Police called at 08:23am on Friday, 10 February to Newham General Hospital after a man in his 20's was admitted suffering from stab wounds. He is currently in hospital in a critical condition," Scotland Yard said in a statement to PTI.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

vishvak wrote:
Sanku wrote:UK has always bred fundamentalists to attack other powers like India. People like Anjam Choudary are no different from earlier ones.
So what are the moral keepers of UK doing? Don't moral keepers in UK talk of human rights?
UK and morals?

Thats for us.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Conclusion:Morals dont grow in cold weather or desert. All the Varieties of Morals need mentally fertile soil and warm weather like in India. 8)
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Swapan Dasgupta on the "Aid" situation - http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.co ... -patronage
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The report below illustrates what is happening to the British armed forces after savage cuts and the desire to still engage them in "expeditionary warfare" around the globe, and attempt to hold onto the Falklands,thousands of miles away,the last outpost of the evaporated empire upon which the sun never set,just a stone's throw away from the Argentinian mainland.The wishes of the Falklanders whose population is described by most Brits as a gang of spoilt "sheepshaggers",is regulalrly trotted out by Britain as why it will not leave the islands until the "sheepshaggers" say so!

The most sensible way forward is for Britain and Argentinia to agree upon sharing the eco offshore wealth of the islands,which would considerably reduce tensions and any Argie desire to capture the Malvinas and lay the ghost of their defeat in the '80s to rest.Britain though is allegedly resisting all efforts to engage in talks and herein lies the root of the current problem.The dreamt of reicjes in Antarctica is another reson why Britain is steadfastly holding onto the islands which give it a sort of legitimacy to squat in Antarctica.The nuclear sub reportedly sent and Britain's latest and most deadly warship,should prove enough of deterrent to an Argentinian military which lacks modern eqpt. neccessary to be able to counter any British action.It underscores the massive presence and capability of a nuclear powered sub which can stay upto three months on patrol and destroy th major part of an enemy's entire naval assets if need be using its large weaponload and stealth capability.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... iam-waving

This Falklands sortie is just petty British William-waving
Marina Hyde
guardian.co.uk,Friday 10th Feb. 2012

Britain's military is depleted by cuts – so childish insults and occasional royal dispatches will have to suffice as foreign policy
The technical military term for the decision to deploy the second in line to the throne to the Falkland Islands is William-waving. If dispatching a fancy new warship to the archipelago on the eve of the 30th anniversary of the conflict with Argentina sends a message, then dispatching Prince William makes a hand gesture.

Of course, the Duke of Cambridge is not in the South Atlantic in his capacity as the male lead from the latest, successful instalment of the hit-and-miss Windsor Wedding franchise. His other day job is as an RAF search and rescue pilot, which is genuinely commendable – but need he really have been sent to the Falklands this week in a posting described by William Hague as "entirely routine"? If the foreign secretary truly wishes to claim that the deployment of Prince William is a business as perfunctory as deciding whether to serve tea or coffee at a meeting, then that is a matter for him. But many of us will find our disbelief simply impossible to suspend in this case, and will nurse a deep suspicion that such things are discussed at prime ministerial level.

In which case – and I don't want to lapse too far into impenetrable diplomatese – why are we being such plonkers? The Foreign Office can parp on about routine all they like, but against a backdrop of simmering tensions in the region, it appears to be a PR exercise of staggering pettiness, given that no one remotely credible thinks Argentina poses a serious threat to Falkland Island sovereignty. It is flag-planting where a flag is already planted.

Prince William is the British forces' most high-profile officer (we'll come to his brother later), so dispatching him to the islands in this anniversary year was bound to be read as an elaborately pointless attempt to wind up the already wound-up Argentina – and it has predictably succeeded. Along with the decision to send HMS Dauntless, it gave combative President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner a gesture she could seize upon, and she has duly fumed about the deployment of "the royal heir who we would have liked to see in civilian clothes and not in military uniform". On Friday, her foreign minister arrived in New York to have a doomed whinge about it to the UN, shortly after the Penguin News, the Falkland Island newspaper, uploaded a photo of the president with the file name "bitch". Outrage has predictably ensued.

If my mother were in the business of geopolitical conflict resolution, let me tell you right now that NONE OF THEM would be playing with the Falkland Islands after the way they've all behaved. Each of them would be having a long hard think in their rooms about whether it was honestly worth being that babyish. Unfortunately, my mother has yet to receive the call-up to this kind of floating international role, and the episode offers a glimpse of a world where childish cheap tricks have to provide the illusion of a foreign policy.

After all, it was only this week that the defence committee warned that the impending cuts could make it impossible for Britain to mount future missions even on the relatively small scale of Libya. So perhaps the strategists have already turned their thoughts to war by other, less pricey means, and stumbled upon this most modern of uses for the royal family. The Falklands non-mission is a test drive. Very possibly, this is what Britain's wars of the future will look like. Expensive land-air assaults will be replaced by insouciant fisherman-rescuing by Prince William, while imbecilic insults buried in computer file names will take the place of special forces sorties.

Much of Her Majesty's press wouldn't notice the difference, which is what makes the strategy so attractive. Do recall the breathless "William to the rescue" headlines that lauded his "selfless effort" in the "heroic" rescue of some Russian sailors in the Irish Sea last November, when a more sensitive take on the story might have foregrounded the fact that five crewmen were still missing, presumed lost, while two had been saved.

And so to Wales Minor, whose potential return to Afghanistan is already being described as a "PR dream" for the military, which is a marginally more seemly way of saying a wet dream for the press. Prince Harry has just passed out top of his Apache helicopter training programme – or "been named Top Gun", in the media's version of these things. He even did a stint at El Centro, the Californian naval air base where Top Gun was filmed, so it's now imperative to imagine him doing the helicopter equivalent of unauthorised flybys of control towers, and creating almost unbearable sexual tension with whoever was the Iceman in his class. A Kenny Loggins soundtrack comes as standard.

As for comparisons between the princely helicopters, I'm afraid William's Sea King sports dreary things like nightvision goggles and a rescue hoist, while Harry's hardware includes Hellfire missiles and rockets and everything. It's basically Budgie v Airwolf. Still, I like to think they have an explicit one-in, one-out arrangement, so for every person Prince Harry eliminates, his brother has to save one. Tread lightly on this earth, young Waleses! And thanks for being our foreign policy.
sunnydee

Post by sunnydee »

Philip wrote: The most sensible way forward is for Britain and Argentinia to agree upon sharing the eco offshore wealth of the islands,which would considerably reduce tensions and any Argie desire to capture the Malvinas and lay the ghost of their defeat in the '80s to rest.Britain though is allegedly resisting all efforts to engage in talks and herein lies the root of the current problem..
IIRC Maggie Thatcher and her conservative government were planning to do that against the islanders wishes by discussing shared soverignity with the military junta until the junta didnt blow the plan right out of the atlantic ocean with the launch of the falklands wars. Of Course the argies would have won the war if they had taken more time to prepare for attack i.e train their troops for warfare in the south atlantic and their officers shown more leadership when commanding troops in the falklands islands as well as buying more exocet missiles. But then war is about missed opportunities. After that experience , irrespective of what some guardian commentator says. the Brits are going to stick with their spoilt sheepshaggers wishes..Ok Ok i know some of the brits themselves are sheepshaggers....
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.co ... -patronage
Is India actually in need of British patronage?
Swapan Dasgupta
12 February 2012, 02:26 AM IST
There was a time in the mid-1970s when every Indian was eyed with suspicion as a potential illegal over-stayer by the immigration officers at Heathrow. Those were the days when the salespeople in upmarket establishments paid no heed to the shabbily dressed Indian shopper. They focused on rich Americans, Arabs and, of course, the Japanese tourist. Sometime in the early-1980s, i recall visiting an Indian banker staying at the Savoy and being asked by the supercilious receptionist: "Does he work in the kitchen?"

<snip>

It is this gratuitousness that has come to define British public attitudes in many spheres. I recently met a British diplomat who boasted having visited some 22 states in India before taking up his appointment in Delhi. His desire to look beyond the drawing rooms of Lutyens' Delhi was admirable. But what would be the reaction if an Indian diplomat decides to spend three months traipsing around Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Swindon and Hartlepool before reporting for work at India House in Aldwych? Yes, his understanding of Britain would be enhanced considerably. He could conceivably also be the candidate of choice for the post of aid commissioner if India chose to re-plough the 238 million pounds of British aid back into the disadvantaged areas of the British Isles. But since traditional diplomacy isn't about "doing good" but promoting mundane things such as trade, culture and keeping a good table, it would be a noble wasted effort.

The problem with British aid to India is that it is misplaced. Post-colonial angst may be good for purposeful seminars involving NGOs and other international poverty brokers. However, that culture of goodness doesn't resonate with a hard-nosed India that expects Britain to be equally hard-nosed. Good diplomacy and charity can't go hand in hand.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Abhi_G wrote:http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-new ... 09983.aspx
An Indian student enrolled for an MBA in the UK was critically stabbed in the London borough of Newham on Friday night, Scotland Yard said on Saturday.

Eleven people have been arrested in connection with the stabbing. Scotland Yard did not name the victim, but said he is
in hospital in a critical condition.

Media reports have identified the victim as Praveen Reddy, who was enrolled for an MBA at the London Business School.

"Police called at 08:23am on Friday, 10 February to Newham General Hospital after a man in his 20's was admitted suffering from stab wounds. He is currently in hospital in a critical condition," Scotland Yard said in a statement to PTI.

Three Indians charged with attempted murder in assault on UK student

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/in ... z1mCeixDUZ