Re: US strike options on TSP

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the US-2

Post by Viv S »

RajeshA wrote:We do not go through inter-party elections, that is true, but then we don't claim that the man elected as the PM is directly elected by the people. He is elected by the Parliament. In the USA, the claim is that the people through the electoral college elect the President, and the electoral college "reflects" the popular will, and that too directly. The elector does not choose whom to elect of his own free will.

Point is not about how effective the democracy is, but rather whether it lives up to its pretensions and claims.
We both 'claim' to be democracies. Its nobody's case (AFAIK) that a directly elected presidential system is a 'superior' form of democracy. The Prime Minister in a Parliamentary system may be indirectly elected but his position too is a reflection of popular will (esp. in modern democracies with intense media coverage of elections).
Then why call it a democracy at all! Let the Presidency be called an establishment vehicle, and the President is the Prime Chauffeur of Establishment Vehicle.
Quite simply because membership of a political party i.e. the establishment, is not a prerequisite to running for President. You can take the establishment route or you can maverick route. Either way, as long as John Q. Public votes for you, you can be President.
The point I am trying to make is that the American establishment wants to have their cake and eat it too, have an oligarchy and call it a democracy! Why should the world let the American establishment call themselves a democracy and win all the moral high horse brownie points?
A committee of a dozen people decides the CM/PMs in our system (not necessarily a committee of equals either). Doesn't stop us from being a democracy; here too any group of citizens can form a political party and contest elections, if they think the mainstream parties are <add adjective>.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

I think you are confusing two separate things:

- formal freedom to contest elections

- effective ability of the people to rebalance the equation between the elite and the commoners through elections

Democracy is supposed to give this capability to the people. When one sees the establishment openly trying to thwart the candidacies of Trump and Sanders, it becomes clear that the establishment will not give the people this effective ability to change the system peacefully.

Formal freedom doesn't really mean much and is as uninteresting as it gets.
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

RajeshA wrote:Published on Aug 07, 2015
By Richard Johnson
Hillary’s Alter Ego Huma Abedin, Who is Now “Omnipresent” and “Indispensable”, Is Expected To Have Her Own Bedroom in the White House: Orb Magazine
“Huma’s influence is so pervasive and Hillary’s dependence on her so total that it is expected she will have her own bedroom upstairs in the White House,” a Clinton associate says. “After 20 years as Hillary’s gatekeeper, no one else could screen the calls and decide who gets access as ably as she does.”
RajeshA-ji : One of the difference between Hillary's alter ego, Huma and the advisors of the other presidential candidates is
- she is never shown on TV, representing her boss;rarely we have seen her interviewed ; I think there is a deliberate policy, to keep her out of media limelight in the light of her Islamic credentials; the average Amreeki six pack Joe would be no doubt shocked if they come to know about it and the chances of Hilary being in the WH dashed ; also, there is the question of her family's Saudi connection and her being the conduit between the Clintons and the Saudis
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I would like to propose a theory about usa immigration.

The original gora anglo dutch german protestant elite miscalculated by letting in jews enmasse purely due to european ancestry . jews took out one big share of the commanding heights.

Later on the per country quota in gc wherein india and china get very few slots relative to demand due to fairness democratic entry to all etc is designed to ensure the growth rate of indic and sinic numbers there remain very small relative to 300 mil. No problem with millions of low age hispanics just noises...

Imagine who if the gates are opened in % to population would overwhelm in numbers 2/5 and talent..
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Nature takes it own turn which no one let alone the WASPS imagined. What if the Hispanics turned to Islam for moral justification to do what the WASPS have done to the native Indians.....It is a short change to change from Ramon to Rehman. Cordoba may yet make a comeback
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

The rumour is Huma will share Hillarys bedroom.Bill was the fall guy.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Wiki
Hillary Clinton has been described as a mentor, and a mother figure to Huma. In 2010, at Abedin's wedding to Weiner, Clinton said: "I have one daughter. But if I had a second daughter, it would (be) Huma." During a trip that Clinton and Abedin made to Saudi Arabia, Abedin’s mother, Saleha Mahmood Abedin, said to Clinton: "Hillary, you have spent more time with my daughter than I have in the past 15 years. I’m jealous of you
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Singha wrote:Wiki
Hillary Clinton has been described as a mentor, and a mother figure to Huma. In 2010, at Abedin's wedding to Weiner, Clinton said: "I have one daughter. But if I had a second daughter, it would (be) Huma." During a trip that Clinton and Abedin made to Saudi Arabia, Abedin’s mother, Saleha Mahmood Abedin, said to Clinton: "Hillary, you have spent more time with my daughter than I have in the past 15 years. I’m jealous of you
Singha-ji:
I sincerely believe that Huma is the conduit between the Clintons and the Saudis !
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

svenkat wrote:The rumour is Huma will share Hillarys bedroom.Bill was the fall guy.
That explains why her husband Weiner spent years sending his weiner to other women over the internet.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Can we have some decorum here please? :((
Just because a President is musically inclined and gives personal flute lessons to interns in the Ovaryl Office..
There is no evidence that Ms. Humedin is anything more than a dedicated career State Deparment official, obviously one of the very best in the bijnej - look how she orchestrated the blackmail scams against the stupid, corrupt subcontinental pompous asses in the nanny scam. Classic, u gotta admit.

If she were a gori bibi, would there be all this *(&^ about her? What if it was a WASP man in that position, basically the Chief of Staff, who always resides inside the WHOTUS? Have they all been buggering each other all these centuries? Let's not swallow all this racist propaganda, pls.
How do u separate the POTUS from the COSOTUS? With a crowbar?
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

Interesting even if only symbolic; sorry if already discussed:
Saudis warn of economic reprisals if Congress passes 9/11 bill
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/16/politics/ ... gress-bill
he bill, co-sponsored by Sens. Chuck Schumer, D-New York, and John Cornyn, R-Texas, opens the door for families of 9/11 victims to sue foreign states and financial partners of terrorism.
Former Sen. Bob Graham, the co-chair of the 9/11 congressional inquiry, told CNN's Michael Smerconish Saturday morning that he is "outraged but not surprised" by the warning from the Saudi government.

"The Saudis have known what they did in 9/11, and they knew that we knew what they did, at least at the highest levels of the U.S. government," Graham said on "Smerconish."
The government of Saudi Arabia, a longtime and key strategic U.S. ally in the Middle East, has never been formally implicated in the 9/11 attacks and Saudi officials have long denied any involvement. But 15 of the 19 hijackers were Saudi nationals, and in February, Zacarias Moussaoui, the so-called "20th hijacker" who pleaded guilty to participating in an al Qaeda conspiracy in connection to the 9/11 attacks, alleged members of the Saudi royal family supported al Qaeda.

Twenty-eight pages of the 9/11 Commission Report, which are said to focus on the role of foreign governments in the plot, remain classified. Saudi officials asked the U.S. to release the redacted 28-page section in 2003, saying this would give them the opportunity to defend themselves against claims of involvement.
Melwyn

Post by Melwyn »

Trump and Clinton win NY primaries by big margins. Trump wins by huge margin actually. He is getting 60+% votes.

What is more interesting is the way both gave their victory speeches. Trump came on the stage gave a short speech and departed.
Hillary's victory party went on and on and on and on with senators, governors and every one in between giving speeches, all looking very staged and fake.
Then she gave a very very long speech. Hillary kinda reminds me of the Indian political speeches.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

What is it in % ?Voters removed from list Maybe like 13% of registered voters missing in rolls and the margin is ~15% now of the declared results. :P
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Yes Democrats looks like have moved Chicago values to New York to win for Hillary.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

From CNN Houston flooding news:
Ahmed Sharma and his wife, Emily, couldn't leave their apartment without the help of an inflatable raft tugged by their neighbors. "We all knew it was going to rain, but we didn't know it was going to be this bad," Emily Sharma said.

no comment
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

Viv S wrote:
RajeshA wrote:Yes, an entirely peaceful process which is stacked against anyone raising their voice against the establishment! Superdelegates, unpledged delegates, caucases, closed door delegate nominations, are all levers with which the establishment trips up anyone who takes them on. It is a sham process.

Ergo, America is not a democracy!
They're quite free to stand for office without going through the 'superdelegates, unpledged delegates, caucuses, closer door delegate nominations etc' rigmarole.
The lack of a runoff system or better yet an "instant runoff" system makes it all but impossible for any third (or fourth, or fifth) party to win an election on any level in the US. It's why they refer to the US as a "two-party dictatorship".

But it gets worse! With both major parties controlled by the same establishment (MID, Jews, Saudis, banks, etc), the American voter REALLY has no power to change anything. Even our country is more "democratic", for what it's worth.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

so this is how chilton won new york

New York Primary: Chaos at Polling Sites, Broken Scanners & Whole Blocks Purged from Voter Rolls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYq2GprEAug

---------
In other news this week, recession yapping at heels

This week, President Obama and Vice President Biden held a hastily arranged secret meeting with Federal Reserve Chairman Janet Yellen.

Yellen’s secret meeting at the White House followed an emergency secret Federal Reserve Board meeting. The Fed then held another secret meeting to discuss bank reform.

These secret meetings come on the heels of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta’s estimate that first quarter GDP growth was .01 percent, dangerously close to the official definition of recession.

Read more ..
http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/fe ... ell-obama/
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

@0:26 Trump is supposed to "have imitated an Indian accent", where he says, impersonating an Indian call center worker, "We are from India". That is all. And I am reading all over the net that it should be somehow insulting to Indians!

I have seen people doing impersonations of Indian accent when speaking in English, and these people have tried to ridicule our accents. Sometimes it is just for the fun. When Westerners make fun of Indian accents while talking English, I don't feel offended. Why? Because we are not supposed to be speaking English in American and British accents. So how can some American or Britisher humiliate me for using an Indian accent, the presumption here being that I am supposed to be using their accents and I somehow don't live up to some imaginary standards! There is no cultural demand on Indians to be speaking in English or American accents. Humiliation can only come from westernized Indians, who assume that that should be some standard, which they fulfill, making them somehow superior, whereas other Indians can't.

So even if Trump was imitating some heavy Indian accent or making fun of it, I would not feel humiliated. Who is he to be able to humiliate us on this score? How good is his or any other American's Hindi or Tamil? But in this case, it is even difficult to notice whether Trump even changed his accent during this impersonation or whether it was just the tone, which happens when single actor does acting of two characters. Trump is not even making fun of accents, but some people are trying to project some such humiliation into it.

Generally speaking whenever Indians work as low-paid workers for foreign countries, be it the Indians working in the Gulf as construction workers or Indians doing call-center work for businesses in American, some level of mockery would always be forthcoming. It doesn't happen to just Indians, it happens to all sort of nationalities. Nothing stops us from mocking other people too if we want on one score or the other. Mocking is a low-IQ indulgence and one cannot completely stop it. We Indians need to immunize ourselves against it.

In the above speech, Trump is however criticizing outsourcing to India, especially the call-center outsourcing. I don't see him either making fun of an Indian accent or mocking Indian call-center workers.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Exactly. India has largest number of english speakers andvwe get to decide how the language is spoken
Melwyn

Post by Melwyn »

Trump, Clinton score major victories

Trump wins all the states in the Apr 26th Primary. Actually he crushed all his rivals.

Last edited by Melwyn on 27 Apr 2016 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha wrote:Exactly. India has largest number of english speakers andvwe get to decide how the language is spoken
Only if we have the confidence and gumption to make our own dictionary and add it to word processing software and get it listed as a language option rather than snobbishly turning up noses at grammatical errors made by fellow desis less adept at Inglis. Our slave buddhi is still so rampant that I have a colleague who looks at me meaningfully for affirmation when he talks about how they say it in England.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

We can start a Inglish word list to be added to MS Word.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

top 20% of amrikan families are pulling away in every respect

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/opini ... egion&_r=0
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

It was difficult but I have managed to stop correcting others. Actually folks like goundamani caught on to this snobbery very early on and made funny but profound points in many movies
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Swarajya weighs in on the US election campaign. Points similar to what folks here have been saying.

It Will Be Clinton Vs Trump; Both Are Bad For India, But Trump Less So
If you are the betting type, you should bet on a Hillary Clinton Versus Donald Trump presidential contest, and possibly, looking at the election in November, a Hillary presidency, too.

After yesterday’s Super Tuesday primaries in five north-eastern states (Pennsylvania, Maryland, Connecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island), Trump looks unstoppable despite a strategic alliance between his main Republican challengers, Ted Cruz and John Kasich. And Clinton has almost sewed up the Democratic nomination by winning four of these five states.

Cruz and Kasich have decided to divvy up the next three states, with Cruz concentrating on Indiana, and Kasich on Oregon and New Mexico, but this strategy could boomerang as Republican voters may see this as an attempt to unfairly deny Trump a victory he won the hard way. Americans don’t like sore losers.

As things stand, Trump has around 949 delegates, just under 300 short of the halfway mark of 1,237. Clinton is even closer to victory, having garnered 2,138 delegates, a hop-step-and-jump away from the winning total of 2,383. The only thing that may still be in doubt is whether Trump can get his 1,237 before the Republican convention. But he will surely get it. As the near-winner, he could threaten a split in the party if the convention refuses to agree to his candidature. Any more ganging up against him will mean a sure Republican defeat in November.

That defeat may yet happen, but it is not a foregone conclusion. As things stand, Clinton leads Trump in a recent nationwide poll by only three points, but this could change once it is clear who is fighting whom in November.

From India’s point of view, who is the better option? Trump or Clinton? Actually, both are disasters for India. But Trump may be a lesser disaster, for the following reasons.

First, Republicans have traditionally been less anti-India than Democrats. Pressures on Kashmir and other issues will be lower under Republicans than Democrats. Hillary will keep lecturing us on sorting out the Kashmir issue, while Trump, with some business interests in Indian real estate, could moderate his views.

Second, Trump may go for some protectionist measures against Indian IT, but the Democrats under President Obama have been equally focused on making life harder for us. Hillary Clinton is unlikely to roll back the massive hike in visa fees for software professionals, or end the restrictions being imposed on Indian IT companies. Trump is unlikely to do anything worse.

Third, Trump is more anti-jihad than Clinton, and this means we may actually get more backing from him against Pakistan (or China) than his Democratic rival. The Clinton Foundation has received funds from major Islamic states, including Saudi Arabia and UAE, including Qatar, which backs terrorist organisations such as Hamas. So it is anybody’s guess how strong Hillary’s anti-terror stance will be. It may be as weak as President Obama’s – under whose nose we saw jihadi forces growing in strength, including the barbaric Islamic State. West Asian money flows covertly to the jihadis, and Clinton as a recipient of their money is worrisome.

Fourth, Trump has less backing from the evangelical lobby than his other Republican rival, Ted Cruz. His likely nomination also helps us expose the hypocritical nature of US politics – where human and religious rights are used as a cover handles to meddle in the affairs of the rest of the world, and especially India.

A Trump victory will enable the world to see the real America – substantially racist, misogynist, and bigoted in many of its red-neck states. Under Clinton, this racism would be covert; under Trump it won’t be.

Trump faces huge opposition within his own party and the rest of America because he may bare the real face of that part of America that is bigoted.
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

Any updates on Trump's foreign policy speech
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

speaking of accents or pronounciation - I just say the languages spoken are 'American', Inglish (Indian), Aenglish (england - afterall it is not written Ingland) etc. And American accent is different from what I speak. My colleagues got the point and the few who had 'corrected' me got the point :).

And on names - if one can say Schwarzenegger or shalikashvilii then they can say Ramanujam or Vekataraman or Devinder. Some accent is ok - afterall NI often cant get 'zha' right as well. The names get mangled because desis dont insist or persevere. They change the name themselves - Murtea like.

Alex Trebek of Jeopardy is one who takes care to pronounce all latin/european names/phrases correctly and even correct the participants. He does not do a good job wrt Indian names or references. I keep hoping that the desis on the show will correct him.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

sooraj wrote:Any updates on Trump's foreign policy speech
Bottomline first: He wants an America First policy.
What it implies for India is both China and TSP will be put on notice.
He also will go back on Iran nuke deal.

Rest you can get from CNN
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

I think at this point Trump is pretty much the nominee. if the RNC does any harakiri, it will be the unraveling of the Republican Party. He comprehensively crushed Cruz and Kasich in the Northeast. and he's probably going to replicate this victory in California.

It will be Trump vs. Clinton.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

http://swarajyamag.com/politics/it-will ... mp-less-so

As I was saying before anyone but Hillary will be better for India and the world and people in the US also. Crooked Hillary line of attack is not something that is going away anytime soon. It may even be the main line of the campaign against her if Trump is the GOP candidate.
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

meanwhile, every "analyst" and "expert" is busy slamming Trump's speech. I don't think they realize: the more they heap their bombastic criticism on him, the more his appeal spreads.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

democrats pulling every trick in book to help hillary.

my relatives in north east could not vote on voting day as their party got changed, (whatever that means).

RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Yagnasri wrote:http://swarajyamag.com/politics/it-will ... mp-less-so

As I was saying before anyone but Hillary will be better for India and the world and people in the US also. Crooked Hillary line of attack is not something that is going away anytime soon. It may even be the main line of the campaign against her if Trump is the GOP candidate.
#CrookedHillary ~= #TermiteQueen :)
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Hillary surrendering the idea of Free Speech to Islam! I couldn't believe she tweeted this garbage!

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Malala is being carefully built up for unknown reasons ... perhaps to use as a aunt tomlina to use against the wogs once she grows up and gets the obligatory oxbridge fellowship in international relations and politics. fit her into the think tank/dissident system and put her to work.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

KJo wrote:
svenkat wrote:The rumour is Huma will share Hillarys bedroom.Bill was the fall guy.
That explains why her husband Weiner spent years sending his weiner to other women over the internet.
some what like sending resumes for an interview??
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Singha wrote:Malala is being carefully built up for unknown reasons ... perhaps to use as a aunt tomlina to use against the wogs once she grows up and gets the obligatory oxbridge fellowship in international relations and politics. fit her into the think tank/dissident system and put her to work.
this one was chosen from the ratpack, plucked out and transplanted against vehement paki objections, and is being built up, step by step. the nobel was so obviously contrived and artificial, just like sathyarthi's nobel, meaning no one knows or cares.

she does not have the brains for a think tank but a likely dissident for sure. If that is the actual case, a short life span is almost assured. She will probably exit in a thunderous clap.

she is also not popular in the ummah.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Sometimes it really seems crazy how the American elite square the circle of American way of Life and Islam, but there is plenty of praise coming from even ostensibly conservative Americans for Islam.

Carly Fiorina was CEO of HP and also the Republican candidate for a Senate seat in California. Yesterday, she was picked by the ultra-conservative Ted Cruz, a Republican candidate, as his Vice-President nominee. This is what she ostensibly once said:

Recently one of the Koch Brothers, who are major financiers of Republican Party, said that their main grouse against Trump was that he was disrespectful of Muslims and wanted to stop them from entering USA.

So it seems a large section of the Western elite is quite comfortable with the Gulf elite and their Islamic agenda.

Added Later:

A speech by Carly Fiorina:
There was once a civilization that was the greatest in the world.

It was able to create a continental super-state that stretched from ocean to ocean, and from northern climes to tropics and deserts. Within its dominion lived hundreds of millions of people, of different creeds and ethnic origins.

One of its languages became the universal language of much of the world, the bridge between the peoples of a hundred lands. Its armies were made up of people of many nationalities, and its military protection allowed a degree of peace and prosperity that had never been known. The reach of this civilization's commerce extended from Latin America to China, and everywhere in between.

And this civilization was driven more than anything, by invention. Its architects designed buildings that defied gravity. Its mathematicians created the algebra and algorithms that would enable the building of computers, and the creation of encryption. Its doctors examined the human body, and found new cures for disease. Its astronomers looked into the heavens, named the stars, and paved the way for space travel and exploration.

Its writers created thousands of stories. Stories of courage, romance and magic. Its poets wrote of love, when others before them were too steeped in fear to think of such things.

When other nations were afraid of ideas, this civilization thrived on them, and kept them alive. When censors threatened to wipe out knowledge from past civilizations, this civilization kept the knowledge alive, and passed it on to others.

While modern Western civilization shares many of these traits, the civilization I'm talking about was the Islamic world from the year 800 to 1600, which included the Ottoman Empire and the courts of Baghdad, Damascus and Cairo, and enlightened rulers like Suleiman the Magnificent.

Although we are often unaware of our indebtedness to this other civilization, its gifts are very much a part of our heritage. The technology industry would not exist without the contributions of Arab mathematicians. Sufi poet-philosophers like Rumi challenged our notions of self and truth. Leaders like Suleiman contributed to our notions of tolerance and civic leadership.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

This is for real: Former US Speaker Boehmer speaks out:

Boehmer calls Cruz "LUCIFER IN THE FLESH"
I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life."
Remember the cartoon about Ms. Cruz being found weeping inconsolably at the side of the highway, and when asked why, bawled:
It just hit me that I am married to Ted Cruz :(( :((