Malaysian Airlines Flight MH-370 goes missing

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Re: Malaysian Airlines Flight MH-370 goes missing

Post by UlanBatori »

Cool! Look at this map! Wonder whether there were some green thingies near Kandufushi 11 days ago. IO looks pretty empty right now. But if I read it right, the number "46" says there are 46 ships in the general area of the Lakshadweep Sea. Which includes Maldives. 24 south of Somalia, none shown on coast of Somalia. I guess pirated ships are not shown.
Live Ships Map

So 3 points:
1. Kandufushi is the shortest approach for a ship to Somalia.
2. If the flight landed there and is hidden, it can still take off and hit Colombo or Kochi before anyone detects the threat. Maybe 5 mins notice. Short flight over unguarded, unmonitored approaches. So I was wrong about Easter SL base. Too risky. But who will detect goings-on on a remote islet in the Maldives? And who will expect an attack on Colombo to come from there?
3. Maybe they decided to wait until the ship docks in Somalia and the loot and prisoners are hidden, before launching the mijjile attack against SL/India. Because if the wreckage showed no remains of passengers, they would be scanning the ocean immediately. So that makes D-Day like tomorrow??? Searches stood down, radar operators home after severe overtime analysis, all cursing Malaysians and feeling sorry for themselves. Guard down.

P.S. Can someone pls tell me how to post an image from my desktop here?
Last edited by UlanBatori on 19 Mar 2014 03:17, edited 3 times in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

UB use
[img]image%20link[/img]
or the image option in full editor.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

That better be an IAF plane/ regular flight, or some serious replacements are going to happen at IAF Andamans, hain? Also, if that appeared, then interpolating backwards it should appear on many other images at 30-min or even 90-min intervals. And going forward???
BTW, where is this Shibpur airstrip? Presumably on Car Nicobar?
Last edited by UlanBatori on 19 Mar 2014 03:32, edited 1 time in total.
Rajiv Lather
BRFite

Post by Rajiv Lather »

Already posted on CNN on 14th. No response from government.
Harpal Bector
BRFite

Post by Harpal Bector »

A/c length seems small. If this is the estuary formation 5 miles NW of Shibpur - the width of that tributary is 400ft. A/c appears to be smaller than that. That exact same clearing next to it is 100 ft across. Size is more consistent with a P-8I.

Are there any latitude and longitude coordinates?

I think the location is 13°17'42.12"N 92°59'36.87"E
Last edited by Harpal Bector on 19 Mar 2014 04:55, edited 1 time in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

LA Times reports search of pilots homes does not reveal any links to suicde or terror.
LA Times Link

Again back to square one,.

This search for MH-370 is more like snakes and ladders. Every day you move up a few squares and then you go back many more.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Riotous headline for See Enn Enn talking-heads:
US asks Malaysians for MORE TRANSPARENCY
:rotfl:

Harpalji, the location is more likely to be 13.285528, 93.000895 where the river is narrower. Either way the plane seems to be one that has just taken off from Shibpur airstrip (which incidentally was lengthened to 13000 feet recently).
Sukhoi SU-30 MKI jet fighters are also being tried out by the IAF from the air bases in these Islands. The airstrip in Shipbur will be increased to 12,000 feet from the 3,200 feet to support different kinds of aircraft and for night flying. Unmanned planes will also be deployed for surveillance along the radar chains.
So if the airstrip has been lengthened as the Defence News story says, then it is natural to find a reasonably large plane taking off and heading for the mainland, flying pretty low without flaps since it is climbing.

Also, I can't see any rationale for overflying the north end of the Andaman islands in that direction. If it had no pilot, then it may have continued all the way to the Orissa coast and inside.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 19 Mar 2014 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
Harpal Bector
BRFite

Post by Harpal Bector »

Taungkamet in Tenasserim, Southern Myanmar is completely secluded and it lists as "small airport" VY03 but if you look on GE, the runway is 10,000 feet long. This falls within the arc. And there is a massive facility with three prominent water towers south east of the airfield.

@UB Sir- the pattern of clearings to the right of the airplane is a good match to 13°17'42.12"N 92°59'36.87"E and the banks there are parallel as in the image - not like the location you suggest.
Anantha
BRFite

Post by Anantha »

http://www.lignet.com/InBriefs/Malaysia ... de=16D22-1

Plane is in Pakiland says this site
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

MH 370 flight if over the Andamans must have reached there around 4.30am local time.
Flight left KL at 12.40am and took say 4 hours to reach Andamans
if not earlier so 4.30am local time which must be 1/2 hr behind KL.
How come this picture has clouds etc etc
as if it is daylight? Is this taken in IR? I doubt very much. This is
total tamasha. Next we will have Tattoo, "boss the Plan, the Plan"
and that does not mean Pipples Liberation something something.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Vsunder, Depend upon you to bring facts to refute the image!!!

Weclome back. We now have full house!!!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

UlanBatori wrote: Landing site mostly like in (proceeding south from Kudahuvadhoo)
a) Thaa Atoll
b) Laamu Atoll
c) Gaafu Alifu Atoll

That's like 200+ miles total, so my vote is for northside Thaa if the villagers were disturbed by the noise of the airliner. That was not 5000 feet, may have been like 1000 feet. Final approach, flaps down, 12 miles or so from touchdown. They should ask them to describe the noise to determine if flaps and landing gear were down. Big town/island of Vilufushi is on north-east side of the atoll and smaller island village of Buruni at northmost, they would not have come near those. Which means focus on north/northwest side of Thaa: which is most direct for a container express to Somalia as well. Island of Kandufushi? Google satellite map resolution vanishes at that level.

Absolutely no features seen on Kandufushi map. Buruni if quite far to the west/northeast, larger islands to the south/sw. I think they should try flying over Kandufushi, and pay a land visit, checking for any signs of activity or ppl playing in the sand recently.
Such a search should not be difficult. I recall watching a Nat Geo program on a pioneering Marine Research Station near Thaa Atoll that is doing some good work on the local Crab Shark. Crab Shark blood has been found useful in the treatment of indolent Bodalizing Timilitis, a fatal disease that cause sufferers to walk in ever increasing circles searching for something until they die of refractory boredom.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Maybe they get attracted by the pings to wander in arcs.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Zeenews
According to an internet security firm, cyber criminals are trying to lure users to malicious websites on the pretext of giving latest information on the missing Malaysian jet, the AFP reported.

The report adds that another scam tried to coax Facebook users into clicking on a link Titled - (BREAKING NEWS) Malaysia Plane Crash into Vietnam sea MH370 Malaysia Airlines is found!"
Look on the bright side: In another month we will have micro-examined Google Maps and satellite images over the whole planet. At the end of that we will reach the hangars of Kuala Lumpur airport and find the 777 parked there.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

UlanBatori wrote:
P.S. Can someone pls tell me how to post an image from my desktop here?
You first need to upload to a photo-sharing site and then link it here
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vsunder wrote:MH 370 flight if over the Andamans must have reached there around 4.30am local time.
Flight left KL at 12.40am and took say 4 hours to reach Andamans
if not earlier so 4.30am local time which must be 1/2 hr behind KL.
How come this picture has clouds etc etc
as if it is daylight? Is this taken in IR? I doubt very much. This is
total tamasha. Next we will have Tattoo, "boss the Plan, the Plan"
and that does not mean Pipples Liberation something something.
Could be flash camera on satellite. Nowadays they use autoflash and the pictures are as bright as Malaysian air force radar operators.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Question: If Vietnam ATC realized that MH 370 had not appeared on its radar and asked others to raise it, why did Malaysia ATC not try and cross check with military radar - after all it was a Malaysian airlines jet - asuming that they feel less "ownership" of non Malaysian planes?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

vsunder wrote:MH 370 flight if over the Andamans must have reached there around 4.30am local time.
Flight left KL at 12.40am and took say 4 hours to reach Andamans if not earlier so 4.30am local time which must be 1/2 hr behind KL. How come this picture has clouds etc etc as if it is daylight? Is this taken in IR? I doubt very much.
Pls see the shadow position. Shadow is behind The Plane, because that's how the sunlight comes in the morning. From Pakistan. The flash is coming from PakSat-1R which is further west.

Sorry, just realized that that was no shadow: look how bright it is. It is another plane below the main plane, actually skimming along the treetops. This is what they call Ground Effect and it holds up The Plane.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 19 Mar 2014 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

shiv wrote:Question: If Vietnam ATC realized that MH 370 had not appeared on its radar and asked others to raise it, why did Malaysia ATC not try and cross check with military radar - after all it was a Malaysian airlines jet - asuming that they feel less "ownership" of non Malaysian planes?
Dunno why Malaysia ATC did not do much.
Wiki tells us that Malaysian ATC lost the plane at 01:22 AM and notified Malaysian Airlines at 2:40 AM.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_A ... appearance

I suppose in the interim Malaysian and Vietnamese ATC were trying to find the plane. Dunno why they didn't crosscheck with military radar. Probably needs a traversal up and down the chain of command.
Vadivel
BRFite

Post by Vadivel »

This thread is hilarious :rotfl: :mrgreen: . Please continue. :lol:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Thai radar might have tracked missing MH370 jet
Flight 370 took off from Kuala Lumpur at 12:40am March 8 and its transponder, which allows air traffic controllers to identify and track it, ceased communicating at 1:20am

Montol said that at 1:28am, Thai military radar "was able to detect a signal, which was not a normal signal, of a plane flying in the direction opposite from the MH370 plane," back toward Kuala Lumpur. The plane later turned right, toward Butterworth, a Malaysian city along the Strait of Malacca. The radar signal was infrequent and did not include data such as the flight number.

When asked why it took so long to release the information, Montol said, "Because we did not pay any attention to it. The Royal Thai Air Force only looks after any threats against our country." He said the plane never entered Thai airspace and that Malaysia's initial request for information in the early days of the search was not specific.
- See more at: http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-new ... CFql8.dpuf
Perfectly sensible reply IMO
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Maybe they DID ask military radar. So military radar searched, and saw nothing. Then eventually saw a plane moving along the periphery of their screen at 2:40AM. The INITIAL report said that the plane was last seen at 2:40AM. NOT 1:30AM. So the plane may have descended very low soon after it first disappeared. Or crashed while turning back, on Malaysian land. There is no CONFIRMED sighting or transmission from this flight after 1:30AM. All else is speculation or 3rd-hand, maybe imagination or invention. See this report, which I posted before:
Last updated: 09 Mar 2014 03:48
Malaysia's flag carrier said flight MH370 disappeared, without giving a distress signal, at 2:40am local time on Saturday (18:40 GMT Friday), about two hours after leaving Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
So in the first few hours they had already included the air force radar sighting - but were still searching under the original flight path. Why, if the Air force said it was in Strait of Malacca when they sighted it? I guess no one believed them. How did they then convince themselves?
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

The NYT had reported (I think already mentioned here, but worth putting in the relevant quotes):
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/18/world ... light.html
Instead of manually operating the plane’s controls, whoever altered Flight 370’s path typed seven or eight keystrokes into a computer on a knee-high pedestal between the captain and the first officer, according to officials. The Flight Management System, as the computer is known, directs the plane from point to point specified in the flight plan submitted before a flight. It is not clear whether the plane’s path was reprogrammed before or after it took off. .............

Flight 370’s Flight Management System reported its status to the Acars, which in turn transmitted information back to a maintenance base, according to an American official. This shows that the reprogramming happened before the Acars stopped working.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

UlanBatori wrote:See this report, which I posted before:[/url]
Last updated: 09 Mar 2014 03:48
Malaysia's flag carrier said flight MH370 disappeared, without giving a distress signal, at 2:40am local time on Saturday (18:40 GMT Friday), about two hours after leaving Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
Malaysia's flag carrier later corrected themselves saying that it was at 2:40 am that Subang ATC told them the plane was missing; the last contact ATC had with the plane was earlier at 1:20am.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

FYI, it looks like Malay past and present tense look the same: see here:
http://mylanguages.org/malay_verbs.php

I wonder whether that is part of the cause of so much confusion, perhaps when Malay press conferences are translated to English.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I thought the Malay military radar info appeared a day later after the search had started in the sea off Vietnam and 20 Chinese satellites picked up undersea events in that area. Isn't that when they said the plane had flown over Malacca strait. And that Inmarsat info came last. By that time the plane had already reached Kazakhstan IIRC
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

UlanBatori wrote:
That's like 200+ miles total, so my vote is for northside Thaa if the villagers were disturbed by the noise of the airliner. That was not 5000 feet, may have been like 1000 feet. Final approach, flaps down, 12 miles or so from touchdown. They should ask them to describe the noise to determine if flaps and landing gear were down. Big town/island of Vilufushi is on north-east side of the atoll and smaller island village of Buruni at northmost, they would not have come near those. Which means focus on north/northwest side of Thaa: which is most direct for a container express to Somalia as well. Island of Kandufushi? Google satellite map resolution vanishes at that level.

Absolutely no features seen on Kandufushi map. Buruni if quite far to the west/northeast, larger islands to the south/sw. I think they should try flying over Kandufushi, and pay a land visit, checking for any signs of activity or ppl playing in the sand recently.
Unless I am mistaken, what you are saying is in the map below. In terms of timeline and distance this is highly credible. Recall that most news items speak of robust radar defences in the north and north east of India, but not over the peninsula

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

UB
Twitter now has your plane shot down and confusing narratives are to cover up.
will ask Muppalla to post.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Maybe the hijackers wanted a free holiday in the Maldives,the world's most popular...and expensive sun and sand destination! Has the bird actually headed for DG,perhaps by intent and shot down by the Yanquis in yet another cover-up? Outside theory, it could've landed ,refuelled at Gan?
RAF Gan today
Following the handover back to the Maldive Government, the island airfield was subtly developed into a civil airport, and is now known as Gan International Airport. Most of the base is now a tourist resort called Equator Village: the military buildings remain and have been converted into rooms & other facilities on the resort. The hospital is now a dive centre.
One Q.What was the cargo that the MH flight was carrying? Sometimes exceptionally valuable cargoes are carried like diamonds,etc.,worth huge sums.It could've been an act of air piracy,the Maldives is full of illegal maritime activity,and the passengers simply fed to the sharks.

A blog a couple of mins ago.
if you want to know where the plane is,i suggest you go on flashearth and look up Latitude 2degrees 1' 2.5"N by longitude 45degrees 18' 19.6E. The plane is parked on the grass at moghodishu airport in Somalia.As it must have landed at an airport with a runway big enough for the plane.If this plane is a legitamate aircraft why is it that it is parked off of the tarmac,and is parked on grass or shrubs.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Story on Thiruvananthapuram civilian radar:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/k ... 138854.ece

More:
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/new ... 142139.ece
Its lateral limits extend up to Kochi in the North; Tiruchirappalli in the East; up to 200 nautical miles in the West; and around 170 nautical miles in the South. The vertical limits extend up to 25,000 feet.
Further:
http://www.aai.aero/misc/AAI_PR_Trivedrum_17Sep.pdf

The primary radar has a range of 60 nautical miles. The secondary radar has a range of upto 200 miles.
Last edited by A_Gupta on 19 Mar 2014 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Indian media is publishing unnecessary details
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

^^Where do Mongolians go when you need them?
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

But the Indian Express reported that Thiruvananthapuram can track airplanes in Male.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/ ... ykSTvbmyjk
Airports of Colombo, Tiruchirappalli, Male and Kozhikode will be under its scan prowess, apart from the movement of flights from the Gulf regions and Singapore over T’Puram skies.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Guys, one ex US military honcho on Fox news was pretty confident that the plane landed somewhere in TSP. Any semblance of truth to this claim, or was he smoking some high-octane Afghan pot?
member_28502
BRFite

Post by member_28502 »

Anybody know steep discount fares on Malaysian Airlines, want to reconstruct the events first hand.
LAX to Kuala Lampur and then from Kuala Lampur to Bejing. Plaese suggest a good pair of Binoculars (brand)

Foxy news
unfair unbalanced anytime
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

shiv wrote:^^Where do Mongolians go when you need them?
An airag break?
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

shiv wrote:I thought the Malay military radar info appeared a day later after the search had started in the sea off Vietnam and 20 Chinese satellites picked up undersea events in that area. Isn't that when they said the plane had flown over Malacca strait. And that Inmarsat info came last. By that time the plane had already reached Kazakhstan IIRC
Yes.

Still the best summary out there:
http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0