India-Mongolia: News and Analysis

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: India-Mongolia: News and Analysis

Post by ramana »

Sounds lik lifafa article with inputs from babu log. I wish he had hard facts and not fluff.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.financialexpress.com/article ... ies/73405/
India grants $1 bn credit to Mongolia; deepens defence ties
Prime Minister Narendra Modi held wide- ranging discussions with his Mongolian counterpart Chimed Saikhanbileg.
India today announced a USD one billion credit line to Mongolia for infrastructure development as they upgraded their ties to “Strategic Partnership” and agreed to deepen defence cooperation besides exploring potential for tie ups in areas like the civil nuclear sector.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is on a two-day visit to Mongolia, the first ever by an Indian Premier, held wide- ranging discussions with his Mongolian counterpart Chimed Saikhanbileg and the two leaders pledged to take bilateral economic partnership to a new level.

“I am pleased to announce that India will provide a Line of Credit of USD one billion to support expansion of Mongolia’s economic capacity and infrastructure,” Modi said at a joint press interaction with Saikhanbileg at the State Palace here.

“Today, Mongolia is also an integral part of India’s Act East Policy,” he said.

“The destinies of India and Mongolia are closely linked with the future of Asia Pacific region. We can work together to help advance peace, stability and prosperity in this region,” Modi said, pitching for close bilateral ties amid China’s push for increasing its regional influence.

After their talks, the two Prime Ministers signed a joint statement committing to further consolidate bilateral ties and upgrade the comprehensive partnership to “strategic partnership” and agreed to renew their Treaty of Friendly Relations and Cooperation.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Mongolia integral part of India’s Act East Policy: Modi - PTI, The Hindu
India on Sunday announced a credit line of USD 1 billion to Mongolia to expand its economic capacity and infrastructure, as they decided to upgrade their relationship from comprehensive to ‘strategic partnership’.

Narendra Modi, the first Indian Prime Minister to visit Mongolia, held wide-ranging talks with his counterpart Chimed Saikhanbileg in Ulan Bator, following which the two sides inked 14 agreements covering defence, cyber security, agriculture, renewable energy and health sector.

“I am pleased to announce that India will provide a line of credit of USD one billion to support expansion of Mongolia’s economic capacity and infrastructure,” Mr. Modi said at a joint press interaction with Mr. Saikhanbileg at the State Palace.

Asserting that Mongolia is an integral part of India’s Act East Policy, he said the destinies of the two countries are closely linked with the future of Asia-Pacific region.

“We can work together to help advance peace, stability and prosperity in this region,” the Prime Minister said.

“In a reflection of our commitment to further deepen our relationship, we have decided to upgrade our comprehensive partnership to ‘strategic partnership’,” he said.

“It is a special privilege to come on the occasion of two important milestones that unite us — 25 years of democracy in Mongolia and 60 years of diplomatic relations between our two nations.”

Commenting on his counterpart Mr. Saikhanbileg’s remarks that India is the “spiritual neighbour and third neighbour” of Mongolia, Mr. Modi said, “We will always fulfil the responsibility that comes with this honour.”
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.indiatvnews.com/news/world/f ... 24546.html
Full text of PM Modi's Banquet speech in Mongolia
---
http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 578_1.html
PM witnesses Mongolia's famous Naadam festival

The Nadaam festival celebrates horsemanship, archery and wrestling.
---
http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 591_1.html

Modi gifted race horse, fiddle during Mongolia visit
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Prime Minister Narendra Modi with his Mongolian counterpart Chimed Saikhanbileg (L) during a welcoming ceremony in Ulan Bator.

Source Reuters, published in The Hindu

Prime Minister Narendra Modi signing the guest book at the State Palace in Mongolia.
Source PIB India, published in The Hindu

Prime Minister Narendra Modi plays the morin khuur, a traditional two-stringed Mongolian fiddle.
Source MEA, published in The Hindu
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Full text of NaMo's speech to the Mongolian Parliament:

Text of remarks by Modi in the Mongolian Parliament - The Hindu
Your Excellency President of Mongolia,

Your Excellency Chairman of Great Hural of Mongolia,

Your Excellency Prime Minister of Mongolia,

Honourable Members of Parliament,

Honourable Members of Diplomatic Corp,

I am delighted to visit Mongolia, a country of great people. Your country reminds us how beautiful this world is. It is truly a great honour to speak to the Great Hural. It is a special privilege to do so in the 25th year of democracy in Mongolia. You are the new bright light of democracy in our world.

I am deeply grateful for your generosity in hosting me on a Sunday. I am humbled by the warmth of the welcome and your wonderful hospitality. ;Everything that I see and experience here speaks clearly of unlimited goodwill for India.

I bring the greetings of your 1.25 billion spiritual neighbours. There is no higher form of a relationship; no bonds more sacred than this. We in India are honoured that you think of us this way.

As in the life of a human being, in the life of a nation, too, few things are as precious as the gift of friendship. So, I speak for my entire nation to say that we deeply cherish the friendship of the Mongol people.

India and Mongolia are at an important milestone. We are celebrating sixty years of diplomatic relations. But, our ties are timeless in spirit.

Around two thousand years ago, monks from India crossed difficult terrain and long distance to spread the message of Lord Buddha in this enchanting land. Many went from here to the hot tropics of India in search of spiritual knowledge.

Centuries ago, when our horizons and our mobility were limited, the great Mongols united Asia and Europe. Their stories of courage, daring and adventure continue to captivate human imagination around the world. Their impact on human history has been profound.

In the winding course of history, our own cultures, literature and art became interconnected. And, it continues to shine in the richness of India's diversity and culture.

Today Indians and Mongolians are telling the world that the bonds of hearts and minds have the strength to overcome the barriers of distance. That bond thrives through the monks from Mongolia who come to India each year for spiritual learning; and, the hundreds of others who go there for education and training.

It lives through the work of Kushok Bakula Rinpoche India's Ambassador here from 1990 to 2000. The Pethub Monastery that he established here will be an enduring symbol of our links.

In the popularity of the yoga in Mongolia, we see the unity of our spirit.

Five decades ago, we stood firmly with you, as you sought membership of the United Nations as a proud and sovereign nation. In turn, time and again, you have stood in solidarity with us, in the United Nations and elsewhere.

While the human bonds have been strong, our economic ties have been modest. But, I have no doubt that our relations will progress along every avenue of the new age. It will draw strength from India's economic growth.

A year ago, a nation of 1.25 billion people voted for change and progress in the largest democratic election in human history. We have worked with speed, resolve and ambition to fulfill our pledge.

In less than a year, our growth has rebounded to 7.5%.India has emerged as one of the fastest growing major economies in the world. And, we have the potential to grow even faster.

At a time when the global economy remains weak, the world speaks in one voice that India is the bright spot of hope to become the new locomotive for global economic momentum.

We are conscious that our challenges are vast across India's immense social and economic diversity. But, we have faith in our sound policies and good governance.

We draw confidence from the unity of our nation and the common purpose of our people. Even more, we get our energy from the aspirations of a young India, with 800 million youth under the age of 35 years. They are eager to pursue their dreams and confident in their ability to do so.

So, as we transform the lives of our people, we also create opportunities for the world. And, we increase our ability to help our friends. This is the urge of the land of Buddha and Gandhi. This is the instinct born from our ancient belief in the world as one family.

As the Indian economy adds strength to our region and the world, it will also benefit Mongolia.

Mongolia's economic growth is also impressive. So, our bilateral ties will also grow, despite the distance and demands of geography.

Mongolia’s rich mineral resources can fuel our partnership. And, I hope that location will not be a constraint on Mongolia’s right to choose its partners.

We can seize the economic opportunities of the digital world and work together to make it more secure against growing cyber threats. We can use India’s expertise in dairy to launch a white revolution on these vast steppes. We can work together to add value to Mongolia's pashmina resources right here. We can create partnerships for affordable modern healthcare in Mongolia. We can use our heritage of traditional medicines to improve holistic treatment in our countries and abroad. As Indians travel abroad more, Mongolia has the opportunity, with its natural and spiritual wealth, to become a major destination for them.

More than just trade and investment, our development partnership is a reflection of our shared ideals and vision. I believe that the greatest form of this partnership is investment in the development of human resources and institutions.

This gives a nation its own capacity to shoulder the responsibility for its progress. It enhances its independence of choice. And, it makes progress more sustainable.

We remain deeply committed to this vision.

Today, I will lay the foundation stone for the expansion and upgrading of the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Centre for Excellence in Information and Communication Technology. - { Didn't our resident Mongolian mention something will be opened in ABV's name? Here it is! }

Under India's training programme, Mongolia is one of our largest partners. We will increase the ITEC training slots for Mongolia from 150 to 200. We will also establish an India-Mongolia Joint School.

Later today, I will hand over the Bhabhatron equipment that can help treat cancer in Mongolia. This will be the first demonstration of our cooperation in the civil nuclear sector.

Finally, today I conveyed to Prime Minister our decision to provide one billion U.S. dollars Line of Credit to develop institutions, infrastructure and human resources in Mongolia.

Our security cooperation is growing. We can learn a great deal from each other. No one can doubt the well-known skills of Mongols! We are proud to conduct defence exercises together. And, I am pleased that we have signed agreements today to cooperate more closely on border security and cyber security.

We have also agreed that India will help establish a cyber security centre in Mongolia’s defence and security establishment. But, the real strength of our relationship lies in the goodwill between our people and in the faith that unites us across the distances. It is a power that can do more than just draw our two countries closer. It can help advance peace, stability and prosperity in Asia and the Pacific Region.

There was a time when the messengers of Lord Buddha linked Asia with his message of love and compassion. The shifting sands of time have not buried their footprints, because the value of their message never diminishes.

Wherever I have travelled in Asia - from the edge of Pacific to the centre of the Indian Ocean; from the sea shores of Southeast Asia to the lofty heights of the Himalaya; from the thick forests of the tropics to the expanse of these steppes - I see thriving monuments and temples dedicated to Lord Buddha.

The eight-fold path of Lord Buddha prescribes not just the path to happiness of individuals, but also a guide to the well being of societies and nations. It is a message of kindness, love and compassion for all. It is a lesson of deepest respect for human beings and human rights; for faith in peace and non-violence. This is a path that tells us to reach out to the weakest and the poorest in our societies. It is a wisdom that sees the inter-dependence of all things in the universe and the virtue of simplicity. Therefore, it is a path to a more a sustainable planet.

It holds lessons for the world that is threatened by the excesses of consumption and disharmony between man and nature. As in the prosperous West, Asia of rising incomes and aspirations must remember and follow this message. Above all, it is a guide for a relationship of peace, equality, respect and cooperation between nations, small and large, weak and powerful.

It is a call for each of us, as individuals and as nations, to assume the universal responsibility to mankind and our planet. It inspires us to think of common good of all nations. The teachings of Lord Buddha are reflected in the principles of democracy.

The path of righteousness is based on freedom of mind, liberty of thought, liberty of action and liberty of speech. These are the foundations of democracy. It is defined by recognition of inter-dependence, acceptance of diversity and belief in co- existence.

Its essence is the freedom of human beings, faith in dialogue, rule of law, and resolution of differences through peaceful means. So, if we follow the Right Path of the master, it will also be natural to walk on the path of democratic values.

Here, in Mongolia, we see the union of these two ideals.

I say this to Asia:

Whatever forms of government each nation chooses, however we define ourselves as a State, we can still apply the principles of democracy in our engagement with each other.

Whatever path we have chosen, whatever be the history of our disputes, or the nature of our claims, we are linked by the common spiritual heritage across a vast arc of Asia.

The convergence of Buddhism and democracy provides us a path to build an Asia of peace and cooperation, harmony and equality.

This is a region that has woken up to its destiny. No region in the world has seen so much progress in the last half century as Asia. No age has seen transformation on such scale in one generation as our continent.

This is a region of ancient wisdom and youthful dynamism It is a continent that is expected to lead the world in the 21st century. Yet, this is also a ;region that lives on the uneasy edge of uncertainty, of unsettled questions, of unresolved disputes and unforgotten memories.

Across Asia’s diversity, we also see growing disparity of hope and opportunities. Asia has given much to the world through the ages. It now has the responsibility to shape its future.

So, now more than our own requirements, I am sure we will be able to fulfill the requirements that Asia wants from us and the world thinks about us. And I am sure that with our spiritual background, and our extraordinary quality of the mind, we can serve the world and society.

And I am sure that the path of righteousness is paved with the freedom of mind, liberty and thought. I am sure that whatever we have decided, and in this widening course of history, our own cultures, literature and art become interconnected and it continues to shine in the richness of India’s diversity and culture. Today Indians and Mongolians are telling the world that the bonds of hearts and minds have the strength to overcome the barriers of distances.

This is a token of our reverence for our shared spiritual heritage and respect for our friendship.

As the sapling grows, it will be an emblem of our growing partnership.

In time, it should also become a symbol of humanism in the world and conservation of our planet.

I thank you once again. Thank you.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

>> And, I hope that location will not be a constraint on Mongolia’s right to choose its partners.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Rahul M wrote:>> And, I hope that location will not be a constraint on Mongolia’s right to choose its partners.
It would be nice to develop & promote tourism between Dharmic nations all over the world. Sugriva (of Ramayana) can lead the way by pointing the famous Rishi-Vatikas in different continents.

Mangolia could be Kubera-sthana :D
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

India should allow Mongolian actors into Bollywood. But then first get rid of fake khans!!!
pattnayak
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pattnayak »

Pranam to all my Gurus.

I would first like to introduce myself. I am pattnayak. A typical army brat. Dad was in Bombay Sappers. Discovered the force (BRF) in first year college. Became a member over a year back. Never had the courage to say anything because honestly I would rather shut up and listen than open my mouth with half baked knowledge.

I wanted to share this video with everyone. I hope its not a re-post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGgQ7ng_pCQ

This is the best cultural show I have seen till now put up by another country when NaMo has visited them. Seeing the yoga. The songs. Hearing "Vasudevam Kuttumbakam" from the Mongolians. Warms the cockles of this jingo's heart.
prahaar
BRF Oldie

Post by prahaar »

arshyam wrote:Full text of NaMo's speech to the Mongolian Parliament:
Today, I will lay the foundation stone for the expansion and upgrading of the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Centre for Excellence in Information and Communication Technology. - { Didn't our resident Mongolian mention something will be opened in ABV's name? Here it is! }
IIRC, it was AmberG who mentioned about the ABV ICT school.
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

Pattnayakji, welcome to BRF.
pattnayak
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pattnayak »

kmkraoind wrote:Pattnayakji, welcome to BRF.
kmkraoind ji. Please, do not embarrass me sir. I am a very nanha sipahi. Just graduated. Hoping to add some young generation (youtube, twitter, instagram) viewpoints and in return trying to steer an Indic viewpoint on aforementioned mediums.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Does Mongolia need some people? Can it a take few thousands (if not a few lakhs) of Indians? Can more Indians be settled there?
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

pattnayak wrote:Pranam to all my Gurus.

I would first like to introduce myself. I am pattnayak. A typical army brat. Dad was in Bombay Sappers. Discovered the force (BRF) in first year college. Became a member over a year back. Never had the courage to say anything because honestly I would rather shut up and listen than open my mouth with half baked knowledge.

I wanted to share this video with everyone. I hope its not a re-post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGgQ7ng_pCQ

This is the best cultural show I have seen till now put up by another country when NaMo has visited them. Seeing the yoga. The songs. Hearing "Vasudevam Kuttumbakam" from the Mongolians. Warms the cockles of this jingo's heart.
Mangolia people did well there, nice video.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

SwamyG wrote:Does Mongolia need some people? Can it a take few thousands (if not a few lakhs) of Indians? Can more Indians be settled there?
Hopefully. Their food needs a bit of indian flavor.
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

If we open more schools , hospitals and laboratories then we will have more indians there, but the idea should be to win the hearts and minds of mongolians not having more Indian's there. In return we must be given some strategic space in that country.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

From Genghiz Khan to today. What a change. Empires rise and fall.

So what are we looking to get from the Mongolians?
Last edited by KJo on 18 May 2015 01:42, edited 1 time in total.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

There are benefits of planned migration, even more when it is symbiotic mutualistic relationship.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

prahaar wrote:
arshyam wrote:Full text of NaMo's speech to the Mongolian Parliament:
IIRC, it was AmberG who mentioned about the ABV ICT school.
Thanks for the correction!
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

KJo wrote: So what are we looking to get from the Mongolians?
Uranium, probably, among others... They seem to have a lot minerals.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining_in_Mongolia
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Interesting. The Mongolians created the Soyombo alphabet which draws from Sanskrit and Tibetan script.

As far as what we can get out of the relationship - Minerals and intelligence sharing.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Just to add to what A_Gupta has already posted,

Since c. 2004, India and Mongolia have also been conducting joint military drills annually in counter-terrorism, counter-insurgency and peacekeeping operations, code-named ‘Nomadic Elephant’. India has also been participating in ‘Khaan Quest’, the annual Mongolian-hosted joint-training exercise aimed at enhancing cooperation among regional militaries from democratic countries including South Korea, Japan, Thailand and the US. During the Indian President Pratibha Patil’s visit to Mongolia in August 2011, the two countries signed a defence cooperation agreement.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Mongolia also should be an ally against the Pope's "planting of the Cross in Asia in the third millennium". IMO, that is more important than uranium.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c72967f8-fd52 ... z3aV32AS6V
To those who wonder why Narendra Modi, India’s prime minister, was in distant Mongolia this week trying his hand at archery, playing a traditional fiddle and receiving the gift of a racehorse called Kanthaka (after Buddha’s mount), the short answer is: China.
“This is counter-containment,” says Brahma Chellaney, strategic studies professor at the Centre for Policy Research in New Delhi. “Modi is repaying [Chinese president] Xi Jinping in the same coin. Remember he [Xi] came to India after visiting the Maldives and Sri Lanka.”
“South Korea is part of the same game,” says Mr Chellaney. “India’s trying to augment its limited power by joining hands with countries around China’s periphery.”
Challaney tweets that the encrircled is showing that it can be the encircler too.
member_27845
BRFite

Post by member_27845 »

I hope we can offer scholarships and student exchange programmes to Mongolian students spread across various institutions , both at high school as well as graduate levels

Student exchanges foster life long experiences and good will
vijaykarthik
BRFite

Post by vijaykarthik »

I hope it doesn't end here. Modi needs to engage with Myanmar too.

And then take off to Central Asia and talk pipes, energy and routes there. That's where the final end game is.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

vijaykarthik, Korean and Myanamar reform of communism will create its own dynamic.
It was to prevent Korean unification the NoKo tested the fizzle device.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

KJo wrote:From Genghiz Khan to today. What a change. Empires rise and fall.

So what are we looking to get from the Mongolians?
I'd go with what Modi said. It's friendship, a very rare thing in international relations and therefore something to be cherished and built upon.

It is not a strategic matlabi thing like tallel frandship with Pakistan. We can't conceivably use Mongolia to dominate anyone, they are too small. We can get our Uranium from elsewhere with a lot less trouble. We can live and grow perfectly well without ever taking notice of Mongolia.

But, embracing Mongolia as a friend and cultural brother is a step towards India embracing its own self and identity. Just as , for individuals, embracing a friend leads to a deeper awareness of one's own self.

We should be doing this with Tibet, but it is a captive of dlagon and that leaves Mongolia as the low-hanging fruit.

If Modi keeps this up, I'm afraid I'd have to start regarding this wise 21st century Shudra as Maharaja Janaka of Mithila come back to us. That leaves the advent of Lord Kodanda-Rama of Kosala to complete the picture.
shravanp
BRF Oldie

Post by shravanp »

A great deal of credit goes to Kublai Khan who borrowed Tibetan version of Buddhism and it's this version that's prevalent in Mongolia.

However many average to low history knowledge desis consider Mongols == Mughals => Muslims. Not true. Some of them even say Afghanistan was Hindu however Gengiz Khan converted it to Islam. Totally wrong.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

skekatpuray wrote:A great deal of credit goes to Kublai Khan who borrowed Tibetan version of Buddhism and it's this version that's prevalent in Mongolia.

However many average to low history knowledge desis consider Mongols == Mughals => Muslims. Not true. Some of them even say Afghanistan was Hindu however Gengiz Khan converted it to Islam. Totally wrong.
Chengiz Khan was never a Muslim. According to one of his sympathetic biographers he was a gifted and energetic leader who made the choice to modernize and expand Mongol power because the alternative was to get swallowed up by Chinese on the East and Muslims on the West. In the process the Mongols morphed into Chinese and Muslims, but the core is still there.

Kind of Hari Seldonesque if you ask me. Interesting to speculate if india+mongolia is the second foundation.
Last edited by KLNMurthy on 18 May 2015 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

conversion started with chengiz's grandson, hulaku khan IIRC. he conquered persia.

interested people can watch the movie mongol, made by a russian director. conn igulden's series on the mongols is quite interesting too.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Maybe one aspect of Indo-Mongolian collaboration could be for India to work with Mongolians to target Olympic golds in archery, horsemanship, gymnastics etc.
shravanp
BRF Oldie

Post by shravanp »

Rahul M wrote:conversion started with chengiz's grandson, hulaku khan IIRC. he conquered persia.

interested people can watch the movie mongol, made by a russian director. conn igulden's series on the mongols is quite interesting too.
Watched that move long time back, and felt a huge sense of incompleteness. The movie ends with Gengiz Khan uniting all Mongol tribes, where-as it was just the beginning. I understand it was a movie afterall, but it was critically short. However in true sense, Gengiz Khan should trump Alexander for being greatest emperor but that doesn't fit the West's narrative. Gengiz Khan was scronfully looked upon by Xians and Muslims. Muslims abhor Mongols because Abbasid caliphate, Khwarazm empire were destroyed by invading Mongol tribes.
member_19686
BRFite

Post by member_19686 »

Rahul M wrote:conversion started with chengiz's grandson, hulaku khan IIRC. he conquered persia.

Hulagu detested Islam & was said to have to told the Caliph he hoped to put an end to it before he slew him.

You may be thinking of Berke of Jochid Ulus, also a grandson.

His conversion helped the Mamluq's check the Ilkhanate (founded by Hulagu) advance.
member_19686
BRFite

Post by member_19686 »

skekatpuray wrote:

Watched that move long time back, and felt a huge sense of incompleteness. The movie ends with Gengiz Khan uniting all Mongol tribes, where-as it was just the beginning. I understand it was a movie afterall, but it was critically short. However in true sense, Gengiz Khan should trump Alexander for being greatest emperor but that doesn't fit the West's narrative. Gengiz Khan was scronfully looked upon by Xians and Muslims. Muslims abhor Mongols because Abbasid caliphate, Khwarazm empire were destroyed by invading Mongol tribes.
By Xtians in the West.

The crusader states initially thought it was the fulfillment of the myth of Prester John and there were talks of alliance with Mongols to contain Mohammedanism.

The ME Xtians just like the Jews, Bauddhas, & Zoroastrians preferred Mongols because they granted religious freedom and removed the restrictions on dhimmis under the Abassid's.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

skekatpuray, its long delayed sequel is in the works.

surasena, wiki says hulegu's dynasty later converted to islam, though he didn't.
MurthyB
BRFite
Location: "Visa Officer", Indian Consulate #13,451, Khost Province, Afghanistan

Post by MurthyB »

SwamyG wrote:Does Mongolia need some people? Can it a take few thousands (if not a few lakhs) of Indians? Can more Indians be settled there?
Kerala has 39,000 sq kilometers of land and a population of 32 million
Afghanistan has 660,000 sq kilometers of land and a population of 28 million
Mongolia has 1.6 million sq kilometers of land and a population of 2.8 million

Not because Afghan wimmins all have high faluting careers and refuse to start families.
Not because Mongolian wimmins are all high finance independent wimmins I think.
Why does Kerala have so many people (left as an exercise to the reader..)?

Ulan Bator is the coldest capital city in the world, colder than Helsinki, Reykyavik, Moscow.
Landlocked, dominated by the Gobi desert. Did we say cold?

1.3 billion Chinese just to the south, but guess who built a wall to keep whom out...

Every once in a while, they got tired of yak herding, yak butter, yak cheese, general yak yak, gathered a few horsemen to go on a rape-an-plunder expedition...
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

skekatpuray wrote:Watched that move long time back, and felt a huge sense of incompleteness. The movie ends with Gengiz Khan uniting all Mongol tribes, where-as it was just the beginning. I understand it was a movie afterall, but it was critically short. However in true sense, Gengiz Khan should trump Alexander for being greatest emperor but that doesn't fit the West's narrative. Gengiz Khan was scronfully looked upon by Xians and Muslims. Muslims abhor Mongols because Abbasid caliphate, Khwarazm empire were destroyed by invading Mongol tribes.
In US, Gengiz Khan is not considered as heinously as he truly should. There are restaurants named after him and all kinds of people visit. If Gengiz Khan was uniting people, so would Hitler have been right? Granted we cannot apply modern standards to the medieval period; yet by Indic standards Gengiz and his descendants wrecked havoc on the areas they marauded. European or Central Asian, some of these people were brutal invaders that pillaged, destroyed and raped as they went. Forget Xtian and Islamic perspective, from an Indic perspective he was brutal.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

If we cannot resettle in Kashmir and Arunachal and many other states in India which are sparsely populated what is the point of resettling in Mongolia. :-)