BRFite -Trainee

Re: Indian Missile Technology Discussion

Post by Nirmal »

Barak 8ER=Extended Range perhaps?
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Nirmal wrote:Barak 8ER=Extended Range perhaps?
That much even I could deduce, but I hadn't come across any reports mentioning an extended range Barak 8. Perhaps this is the IAF version?
Sontu
BRFite

Post by Sontu »

sunilUpa wrote:
Nirmal wrote:Barak 8ER=Extended Range perhaps?
That much even I could deduce, but I hadn't come across any reports mentioning an extended range Barak 8. Perhaps this is the IAF version?
I too think that Barak 8 ER , Barak NG and LR-SAM are the same system...jut named differently.
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

Notice how nobody has yet reported or commented on the AFP report about the 2nd test ? Not even a denial ?

Do you know why ? The (expletive deleted) results are out:

http://www.smartmoney.com/news/on/?stor ... 00750-1250

The AFP report was simply an update on the analysis of the first test. So: "it achieved all its flight parameters without hitch"

No comment from Rout or anyone else !!! We are in effect back to square one save and except for this very clear statement.

Unless of course shortly after there was a second launch to compensate for problems with the first. I cannot see how much clearer the statement can be.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

hmm, finally the cat is out of the bag. I could remember the hue and cry in this forum about the range of Barak 8 missile and how it is so inferior to Aster. The replies that showed how the added booster could increase the range didn't stem the emotion ebbing out. That was circa 2006. There is one imp difference between Aster and Barak 8. Aster, apart from being SAM, during the design stages, more thoughts were given to make it as anti - AShm. But Barak 8 being anti - AShm from previous avatar, plays an additional role of being ABM. It has most of the features of PAD, like multispectral sensors, better computing etc. all in the small body of ~0.3 dia, except for the range. Imagine if we could do the same thing to PAD, well, then it becomes India's THAAD. Let see, how PDV pans out. I can almost make out the shape & size of that.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Kanson wrote:
hmm, finally the cat is out of the bag. I could remember the hue and cry in this forum about the range of Barak 8 missile and how it is so inferior to Aster. The replies that showed how the added booster could increase the range didn't stem the emotion ebbing out. That was circa 2006. There is one imp difference between Aster and Barak 8. Aster, apart from being SAM, during the design stages, more thoughts were given to make it as anti - AShm. But Barak 8 being anti - AShm from previous avatar, plays an additional role of being ABM. It has most of the features of PAD, like multispectral sensors, better computing etc. all in the small body of ~0.3 dia, except for the range. Imagine if we could do the same thing to PAD, well, then it becomes India's THAAD. Let see, how PDV pans out. I can almost make out the shape & size of that.
there is a photograph of full size Barak 8 model displayed at Singapore show. It must be in last thread.
mandrake
BRFite

Post by mandrake »

Kanson wrote:
hmm, finally the cat is out of the bag. I could remember the hue and cry in this forum about the range of Barak 8 missile and how it is so inferior to Aster. The replies that showed how the added booster could increase the range didn't stem the emotion ebbing out. That was circa 2006. There is one imp difference between Aster and Barak 8. Aster, apart from being SAM, during the design stages, more thoughts were given to make it as anti - AShm. But Barak 8 being anti - AShm from previous avatar, plays an additional role of being ABM. It has most of the features of PAD, like multispectral sensors, better computing etc. all in the smal body of ~0.3 dia, except for the range. Imagine if we could do the same thing to PAD, well, then it becomes India's THAAD. Let see, how PDV pans out. I can almost make the shape & size of that.
Indeed, Barak 8 is going to be a deadly aShm. iirc one among the major component the rocket motor used is Indian.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Sanjay wrote:Notice how nobody has yet reported or commented on the AFP report about the 2nd test ? Not even a denial ?
Do you know why ? The (expletive deleted) results are out:
http://www.smartmoney.com/news/on/?stor ... 00750-1250
So was a a missile tested at all or was the June 19 report a simply press release of the results of the analysis of the performance of the May 19 test ? In which case, what to make of the report which said May 19 was not a complete success but June 19 was ?
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

I really don't know. Was there a test on 19 June ? Possible.

It could be something was done quickly so that no admission of failure of the May 19 test was done.

Can you show the link to the report that said the May 19 test was not a success but June 19 was ? Will believe it but...

Let me put it this way, if there was a user error, then a rapid repeat test is possible. The concern I have is that not a single Indian source reported it. Similarly none reported this very important AFP clarification on the May 19 test.

There is much confusion and the biggest danger is self-proclaimed "gurus" or experts making comments without investigating every angle and injecting their bias into it.
Last edited by Sanjay on 21 Jun 2009 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Sanjay wrote:Can you show the link to the report that said the May 19 test was not a success but June 19 was ? Will believe it but...
Sanjay, this article by Rajat Pandit dated 20 June says
The tri-Service Strategic Forces Command is still engaged in conducting "training user-trials'' of the 2,000-km Agni-II. The first such Agni-II trial last month "failed to meet the laid-down flight parameters'', say sources.
The earlier article by global security newswire screamed "Second ballistic missile test in a month" sourcing AFP. Now I cant access AFP directly, so do not know if
(1) It was a second test which was successful (as per AFP) and first test a flop (as per Rajat)
(2) There was only one test and it was a success (as per amended AFP)
(3) There was only one test and it was a flop (as per Rajat and the fact that curiously desi news papers are silent about the Agni test. All articles are from Paki or western newspapers)

Sorry if I added to the confusion. I dont not have a "speculation" or a "stand", I am just trying to get a handle on what the latest understanding is.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

One of stories did mention 'Friday's test', May 19th was not a Friday, but not sure whether that was added by AFP or the news site.

In addition I think ToI when reporting on May 19th test, did not report it as success.
Last edited by sunilUpa on 21 Jun 2009 03:12, edited 1 time in total.
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

I saw all you've quoted and I am as much in the dark as you (and I rather suspect Rajat Pandit).

I have said before on this forum that the impression I got was that the user screwed up rather than any problem with the missile itself and even then it flew for 10 minutes rather than Rout's 127s (if Rout is correct that is not "meeting flight parameters", that is outright failure).

It is easily conceivable that a quick repeat test was done but equally possible that the May 19 success analysis now comes to the fore.

SunilUpa, your comment is the strongest point in favour of a repeat test. I would like to believe it. Also, TOI said analysis of the May 19 test was being done to ascertain if it was a complete success. Valid enough if there was a problem. Not so valid if the thing crashes in 127s - in that instance you know it failed immediately
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

sunilUpa wrote: there is a photograph of full size Barak 8 model displayed at Singapore show. It must be in last thread.
Thanks. I was talking about the one with the booster. Both are full scale mockups as well as the one displayed in the Sing show.
Indeed, Barak 8 is going to be a deadly aShm. iirc one among the major component the rocket motor used is Indian.
In my view, it is a notch above the current modern SAMs. Thats why it is aptly termed as NG (Next Generation)
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

I am as much in the dark
Sanjay - few words - the test was competely the Army's affair. Unless we know the objectives set forth for the test it is difficult to ascertain the results of the test. As you know, 'User test' dont have to be conducted in the same way the 'development tests' are carried out. Anyone making news with partial information may not be the best judge.
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

All of the above is true. That is why DRDO was adamant that the test "succeeded" as far as they were concerned. The test parameters for accuracy etc may have been at issue. What I have been trying to gather is the whole story

However, these reports emerging yesterday talk of the test having "achieved all its flight parameters without hitch" (there is nothing clearer that could possibly be said) so either there was a second test or the first one was deemed successful after full analysis. What we want to know is which one it is.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

AFAIK, there was a second test.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

I think that kind of calibrated leaks to media are good, puts some pressure on babus/neta/Brass/scintists. It takes a lot to move the leadership on doing something about anything in India.

More media (good or bad)defence related news get better it is in longterm IMO.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Sanjay wrote:There is much confusion and the biggest danger is self-proclaimed "gurus" or experts making comments without investigating every angle and injecting their bias into it.
Sure. And it is good that you want to investigate every angle, and enlighten the readers of conclusions (if any) beyond doubt .

As far as I am concerned I don't have to subscribe to that, due to my time constrains, and also knowing what I know from my sources I am convinced of my opinions expressed on this thread; and IMHO it has no bias. :wink:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Indi ... 677847.cms
Agni-III, with China in range, to be tested
20 Jun 2009, 0356 hrs IST, Rajat Pandit, TNN
The tri-Service Strategic Forces Command is still engaged in conducting "training user-trials'' of the 2,000-km Agni-II. The first such Agni-II trial last month "failed to meet the laid-down flight parameters'', say sources.

http://www.easybourse.com/bourse-actual ... est-687823
Imprimer le contenu de cette page Envoyer cette page à un ami
UPDATE: India Successfully Conducts Ballistic Missile Test
Friday June 19th, 2009 / 18h50
(Updates that missile test was conducted on May 19)
NEW DELHI (AFP)--India successfully launched a nuclear-capable ballistic missile in the middle of last month, the defense ministry said.
The Agni-II missile blasted off from a testing site in eastern India on May 19 and "achieved all its flight parameters without hitch," a senior ministry official told AFP.
"It was a user trial conducted by the army and defense scientists," he said of the rocket, which the military says is capable of hitting targets deep inside adjoining China.
http://www.globalsecuritynewswire.org/g ... 9_9319.php
Friday, June 19, 2009
India today conducted a successful test launch of its nuclear-capable Agni 2 ballistic missile, Agence France-Presse reported (see GSN, May 19).
The weapon was fired from eastern India and "achieved all its flight parameters without hitch," a high-level Indian Defense Ministry official told AFP.
http://www.globalsecuritynewswire.org/g ... 9_5971.php
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
India today conducted a successful test of its nuclear-capable Agni 2 ballistic missile, Agence France-Presse reported (see GSN, April 15).
"A trial of Agni 2 was conducted Tuesday," a defense source said, adding that the exercise was a "trainer use trial" aimed at giving Indian army personnel experience operating the weapon.
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.as ... 2009_pg7_2
Saturday, June 20, 2009
India conducts second ballistic missile test in a month
NEW DELHI: India on Friday successfully launched a ballistic missile in the second such trial of the nuclear-capable weapon’s platform in a month, the Defence Ministry said. The Agni-II missile blasted off from a testing site in eastern India and “achieved all its flight parameters without a hitch”, a senior ministry official told AFP. “It was a user trial conducted by the army and defence scientists,” he said of the rocket, which the military says is capable of hitting targets deep inside adjoining China. afp
http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market ... in-a-month
Jun 19, 2009
India Conducts Second Ballistic Missile Test In A Month

NEW DELHI (AFP)--India on Friday successfully launched a ballistic missile in the second such trial of the nuclear-capable weapon in a month, the defense ministry said.
The Agni-II missile blasted off from a testing site in eastern India and " achieved all its flight parameters without hitch," a senior ministry official told AFP.
"It was a user trial conducted by the army and defense scientists," he said of the rocket, which the military says is capable of hitting targets deep inside adjoining China.
The test was the second since May 19 when a similar 2,500-kilometer (1,560- mile) range Agni-II was fired from the same site, hitting a pre-designated target in the Bay of Bengal.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

If there was a test on June 19, there would be a NOTAM out. Anyone having access to NOTAMs should be able to check if one was issued in that time period. This is at least in theory....
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

Arun nobody accused you of bias (least of all me) and nobody accused you of being a self-proclaimed "guru" or "expert" - you have your views - that's good. You are convinced as to the superiority of your sources and again that's good. Was there a second test ?

If I might be permitted ? I posed the NOTAM question to the only person I know in South-East Asia who might be able to find out. Unfortunately, that person is anathema to the forum. According to the aforesaid individual: "The NOTAM for clearing the airspace over certain FIR sectors over the Bay of Bengal and Andaman Sea in lieu of the latest test-firing was issued a week ago to Myanmar, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore and I had confirmed this yesterday."

So there really may have been a second test.

Furthermore and in addition, the aforesaid individual suggests that the May 19 test suffered due to a problem in the guidance system linked to QC issues. Remedial steps were thereafter taken.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

posed the NOTAM question to the only person I know in South-East Asia who might be able to find out.
I am curious, I was under the impression NOTAMs are public information? Why would there be only one person? I know, I am missing something obvious ...
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

One person - only person I know.

NOTAM is official but I don't know how public. But consider, how many NOTAMs have we ever seen in advance of Pak missile launches ?

Usually we find out on the day itself.

Again, it seems to support a second test. But the jury is still out.
babbupandey
BRFite

Post by babbupandey »

India and Pakistan have also signed treaty to notify each other in advance about any ballistic test they may conduct.
If the gurus know how to glean out this information then this may add as a second source of information.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Kanson wrote:
Barak-8 should be superior to Aster considering it was designed 15 years later just like Barak was better than Croatle or Seawolf. Yes barak-8 does have ability to take out sea skimmer heck even shtil has that capability however these missiles have high minimum effective range around 3 to 5 km (compared with CLOS guided missiles such as Kashtan/Barak are effective at even less than 500 meters) which reduces their effectiveness against these missile if they aren't detected till their terminal phase. That is why you would still need need point defense missile such as Barak or CIWS gun system.

As fo Aster i believe there were plans for Aster 45 with ABM capability but was canned, Aster 15 seems to be sufficient for air defense purpose (aster-30 is only carried by two vessel platforms to date)
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

Sanjay, Arun,

QC is a major issue that needs to be taken care of....The three consecutive succesful tests standard would ensure that there is a credible design.. it probably would ensure that N following launches would be successful provided it is done by DRDO itself..this is what we have seen with PSLV and ISRO....the difference here is that Agni type systems after the three development tests probably go into serial production on a larger scale than PSLV. The production agency is probably different from DRDO.. and the different scale of production may lead to QC issues....this is where random batch testing needs to be done...the drdo development tests once done only say that there is a credible design. Production is a separate issue that needs attention.

My feeling from open sources has been that Range was more or less OK on May 19 , but accuracy issues may have been there...something like landing a km or two of target. If it had crashed in 127 seconds, DRDO would not have bee able to put on a "succesful as far as we are concerned" face. Was there another test on June 19 ? If so, how did our media not notice it ?
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

Ramdas I think you might be correct and it is certainly a theory I subscribe to. If the guidance system went awry then problems could emerge with the 2nd stage. Again - a caution - we are guessing.

Two sources that I have some confidence in have indicated there was a 2nd test. Why did our media not notice it if there was indeed a second test ? Well, I suspect that no media hoopla was arranged or was a press release made to avoid answering questions about the first test.
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

N-tipped Agni III set for fresh test
Hemant Kumar Rout
BALASORE: The Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) is set to test-fire India’s most powerful nuke-capable ballistic missile Agni-III. The China-specific missile would be test-fired from a defence base off the Orissa coast soon. Preparations were on for the crucial test, a source close to the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur-on-sea, 15 km from Balasore, said today. Agni-III test-fire is seen as a deterrent to China’s growing missile power.

`The country’s missile programme received a jolt on May 19 when the first training user-trials of the 2,000-km plus range Agni-II missile failed to yield the desired result. The focus now is on Agni-III and its test has become a prestige issue for the scientists involved in the project,’ the source added.

Agni-III, which has a velocity of 5 km per second, is a new system, defence sources said. It is a short and stubby, two-stage missile. It weighs 48.3 tonnes and is 16.7 metres tall with an overall diameter of 1.8 metres. It can carry both conventional and nuclear warheads weighing around 1.5 tonnes. It will be propelled by solid fuels, facilitating swift deployment compared to missiles using a mix of solid and liquid fuels.

Though the maiden test of the longest range missile in 2006 was a failure, its second trial in 2007 and third test in 2008 were successful.

`It is ready for induction but it will require a few more tests before it can go for limited series production (LSP) trials by the armed forces. However, two more years will be required for its operational deployment,’ a scientist said on condition of anonymity.

The missile is a deterrent to the Chinese missiles. A successful induction of Agni III will allow India to catch up with China’s nuclear strike capability in the next few years since its range is expected to be long enough to target major Chinese cities like Shanghai and Beijing.

India’s ‘Pakistan-specific’ Agni-I and Agni-II missiles have already been inducted in the armed forces.

`Our next project is Agni-V missile which is expected to have a strike range of about 5,000 km.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

it is irritating to see the media announce tests in advance , so on and so forth.. there should be some control exercised on media reporting of these matters...in fact, very tight control should be exercised...This reportter Hemant Rout in particular is suspicious.. he has in the past been involved in "environmental" campaigns against missile testing....so, we know what sort of elements he may be linked to....things related to missile testing etc should be done in a more regimented way..drdoscientists too, should be made to avoid any unauthorized media fraternizing....this cannot become a mela or something...
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

If one shoots the messenger one wont receive any messages.

Its possible since the May19th test was from user inventory its results were classified. The early report might be before it was determined to be such. So that might explain the clam-up. Not worth pursuing as it will run into problems.
The media announces what it is handed out. Besides its not investigative reporting but publishing a news interview for all we know.
The A-III is still in development and generally the sources try to give out its design parameters to send the right messages to those who need.
BTW its(messages) not for this board!
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

ramdas wrote:it is irritating to see the media announce tests in advance , so on and so forth.. there should be some control exercised on media reporting of these matters...in fact, very tight control should be exercised...This reportter Hemant Rout in particular is suspicious.. he has in the past been involved in "environmental" campaigns against missile testing....so, we know what sort of elements he may be linked to....things related to missile testing etc should be done in a more regimented way..drdoscientists too, should be made to avoid any unauthorized media fraternizing....this cannot become a mela or something...

How do you do that (control) when there is a internal "source" that seems to be circumventing the "control"?
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Last edited by sunilUpa on 22 Jun 2009 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew DeCristofaro
BRFite

Post by Andrew DeCristofaro »

sunilUpa wrote:shiv aroor on barak 8
is israel going to transfer seeker tech??
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

NRao wrote:How do you do that (control) when there is a internal "source" that seems to be circumventing the "control"?
I do not think this forum will get to decide what is published in mainstream paper.

First as Ramana says don't shoot the messenger (IA and GoI knows how to contact him and reign him if he is stepping out of his brief. After all Indian laws can be quite draconian if one wishes to exercise them. And Indian owned media is a useful instrument for GoI propaganda and/or subtle messaging too).

Secondly Hemant Rout works for mainstream Indianian Express group with editorial oversight, and no chai beedi shop in Saharanpur.

I would suggest Hemant Rout be not measured on a different scale compared to other defense reporters that some of us may strongly agree or disagree in style or content of reporting.

IMHO Express Group and Hemant Rout are doing a fine job.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

So, did another A-II test happen in June ? As I said before,three succ. dev. tests only mean credible design... making sure production is flawless requires more testing...
SanjibGhosh
BRFite

Post by SanjibGhosh »

The Barak Connection- India and Israel

http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=15774020
Aditya_M
BRFite

Post by Aditya_M »

This won't help much, but anyway:

Barak 8 Launcher

Arrow 2 & 3

Took these at Le Bourget last week.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Israel's eastward march: Arming India
Tel Aviv, Israel (UPI) Jun 17, 2009
The day Osama bin Laden's suicide squads attacked the United States, Maj. Gen. Uzi Dayan, who in 2001 headed Israel's National Security Council, was conducting a "strategic dialogue" in New Delhi with his Indian counterpart, Brajesh Mishra.

Dayan's presence in the Indian capital on Sept. 11, 2001, was, of course, pure happenstance. But the events of that fateful day cemented a strategic relationship that has never stopped growing and has strengthened Israel's burgeoning influence in southern and central Asia. Today, Israel has overtaken Russia as India's leading defense supplier.

Both Israel and India, one Jewish, the other Hindu, are locked in deadly combat with Islamist extremists, and after the November 2008 attacks in Mumbai -- India's Sept. 11 -- that killed 165 people, including five Israelis, security cooperation between the two nations has skyrocketed -- literally.

On April 20 India launched its RISAT-2 satellite, built by Israel Aerospace Industries, the state-owned flagship of Israel's defense industry. The craft is equipped with the same multi-spectral aperture radar as the TECSTAR 1 satellite developed for Israel's military.

The launch gave India vital surveillance capabilities to guard against further attacks by Islamist raiders, whose seaborne assault it had not detected. But it also gave Israel an important breakthrough: an Indian satellite that will provide additional surveillance of Iran and its missile-launching zones with its sensors that can take photos with a maximum ground resolution of 1 meter day and night and through cloud cover. {Arun_S: Ahhh Isreali using its own satellite with Indian label }

That kind of spy capability gives India a major edge over Pakistan, and indeed every other Asian state except China and Japan.

Israel has been hampered in its efforts to keep tabs on Iran because, due to the Jewish state's geographical location, it is only able to launch its own intelligence-gathering satellites westward, against the Earth's rotation.

That limits the range of orbits over Iran. Launching from the Satish Dhawan Space Center on the Gulf of Bengal in southeastern India means Israel can launch eastward, adding another dimension to its surveillance of the Islamic Republic.

The 650-pound RISAT-2, delivery of which the Israelis accelerated after Mumbai, also cemented a burgeoning intelligence alliance that has been expanding over the last 40 years -- even though it was a clandestine relationship until India recognized Israel in 1992.

In January India took delivery of the first of three Phalcon all-weather, early warning command and control systems manufactured by Israel Aerospace Industries and mounted on Russian-built Ilyushin Il-76 aircraft under a $1.1 billion deal.

Delivery had been advanced by two months following the Mumbai attacks. The radar systems were built by Israel's Elta Industries.

Negotiations are under way for another three Phalcons, and if that deal goes through it would be the largest defense contract ever sealed by Israel.

As part of the Phalcon deal, the Israelis disclosed on May 22 that they will establish five factories in India to produce artillery shells, a project reportedly worth $250 million.{Arun_S: Not sure if there factories will see light of days now after the IOF bribery scandle }

The Indian air force thus became the first in South Asia with advanced multi-sensor AWACS aircraft capable of providing tactical surveillance of multiple airborne and surface targets and able to gather signals intelligence.

A month earlier India signed a $4.1 billion deal to purchase a shore-based and seaborne anti-missile air-defense system modeled on Israel's Barak long-range naval weapon built by Israel Aircraft Industries.

The new system will be developed with India's Defense Research and Development Organization and will replace the Indian air force's aging Russian-made S-135 Pechora-1 (SA-3) air-defense systems.

In August 2008 New Delhi signed a $2.5 billion contract with IAI and Israel's Rafale armaments company to jointly develop an advanced version of the Spyder surface-to-air missile.
Ashutosh Malik
BRFite

Post by Ashutosh Malik »

Just some information that I came across on The New Indian Express. I don't think it is the Goenka's who own the Indian Express. You could check out the following link:

http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/cont ... cRGKC4wQ==