Indian Space Program Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
vasu raya
BRFite

Re: Indian Space Program Discussion

Post by vasu raya »

For deep space communication, can they place a relay sat at the L4 or L5 Lagrange points? this mission is beyond Moon but nearer than Mars, and it could be our backup plan. Such a Trishanku mission might face both Budgetary and Scheduling issues while PSLV privatization might help with the latter.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

vasu raya wrote:For deep space communication, can they place a relay sat at the L4 or L5 Lagrange points? this mission is beyond Moon but nearer than Mars, and it could be our backup plan. Such a Trishanku mission might face both Budgetary and Scheduling issues while PSLV privatization might help with the latter.
That is a very interesting question. I have wondered why the US hasn't made more use of L points also. I would point out that routine maintenance would be problematic. After all, a deep space network should last decades to support projects.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Cheaper and and more accessible solution perhaps is to have deep space communication stations close to north and south poles. We already have a presence in Antarctica and can lease some place with the Scandinavians.
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

TSJones wrote:That is a very interesting question. I have wondered why the US hasn't made more use of L points also. I would point out that routine maintenance would be problematic. After all, a deep space network should last decades to support projects.
NASA already has sats there and lots of upcoming missions,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian ... t_missions
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

Bade wrote:Cheaper and and more accessible solution perhaps is to have deep space communication stations close to north and south poles. We already have a presence in Antarctica and can lease some place with the Scandinavians.
Would that be larger than the antenna at Bylalu used for the Moon mission?
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

I do not think the Antarctica one is planned for DSA by India. The one in the works is for Polar orbit downlinks. One can add another for DSA use.

ESA's DSA network info is here.
http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Opera ... g_stations
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

This one is much less in diameter than the one in Bylalu at 32m and enclosed for wind and snow protection.
As part of it, a data reception station and another data communication facility linking Bharati Station and NRSC would be established.

ECIL would install two large antennae of 7.5 diameters {meters ?}each-one for remote sensing and the other for communication. The antennae would be enclosed in a radome to protect them from heavy winds. While one antenna was already fabricated, the second one was expected to be ready shortly.

The antennae would be installed on a platform weighing 50 tonnes and developed with special steel structure.
http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/techno ... 374556.ece