BRF meet Sydney @ IFR Sydney - 6th October 2013

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
rahulm
BRFite

BRF meet Sydney @ IFR Sydney - 6th October 2013

Post by rahulm »

The Sydney IFR is on. Website http://www.navy.gov.au/ifr/

Schedule of events http://www.navy.gov.au/ifr/events

Ships are berthed at Fleet Base East, Garden Island and Barangaroo. Listing of ships by location http://www.navy.gov.au/ifr/faqs/warship-open-day-faqs

INS Sahyadri is at garden island.

Tickets are compulsory and can be bought from http://www.ticketek.com.au. $3.00 for ticket and $8.80 for express post.Terrible! No other delivery options appear to be available. If you are interested, book early to allow for express post delivery time. Most slots are sold out.

I am in the 3:30 PM slot on 6th, the earliest slot I could get.

sudham, nick_s sorry did not check BR earlier due to work. If you are still coming, please say so on his this thread and I will provide my contact details. Anyone else?

After a great time at the 1999 Sydney IFR where I met the commissioning crew of INS Mumbai, hopefully, this will be a great afternoon.

Admins, please delete thread after fleet review.
Last edited by rahulm on 29 Sep 2013 12:27, edited 3 times in total.
rahulm
BRFite

Re: DRF meet Sydney @ IFR Sydney - 6th October 2013

Post by rahulm »

Oops. The DRF in the thread title should be BRF. i can't amend. Admins, can you please rectify?

Thank you
rahulm
BRFite

Re: BRF meet Sydney @ IFR Sydney - 6th October 2013

Post by rahulm »

The ticket allows 3 hours of visit time. Since we will be on day light saving time by then, it should allow for plenty of time to visit the ship with day light left over for drinks & dinner at a venue to be decided but which will be close to the wharf.

The ticket comes with a wrist band which is supposed to be worn at all times while you are in the area. Visit arrangements are cumbersome this time. In 1999 one could just walk in.

I fly to Melbourne late that night so can't stay back very late.

Ramana, thank you for correcting the thread title.
sudham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sudham »

Hi Rahul,
I had booked 6th 1:30 session at Garden Island since I was not sure that the meet was still on. Which location have you selected?
Happy to catch up. Pls send me the details.

Thanks and Regards
Sudham
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Sudham, I have booked the 3:30 PM slot at Garden Island. It was the first available slot yesterday.

Regret I did not organise this earlier. Time ran away from me and requirement to buy a ticket took me my complete surprise. RAN has a significant complement of ships and must be expecting a size able crowd.

I suspect wrist band colours will be different for different time slots. They may not chase over stayers. Since you will be inside 2 hours before I, how about we meet inside at a designated place?

I have a rendezvous suggestion but not in a public forum.Use my BRF id, add the number 20 at the end and send to gmale to contact me.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

SMH has a page dedicated to the IFR
  • *biggest thing to hit town since the Olympics
    *warships from 19 countries
on Friday, order of ships entering:
  • *First to enter "Qingdao" between 6:00 AM to 10:00 AM
    *British lead the second wave of three ships in HMS Daring between 8 AM and 10 AM
    *Next come seven Australian warships led by HMAS Sydney; Premier Barry O'Farrell and lord mayor Clover Moore on board.Off Bradleys Head at 10 AM Prime Minister Tony Abbott, Governor-General Quentin Bryce and defence chiefs will witness a 21-gun salute.
    *last ship, Spain's Cantabria, will arrive about 4 PM
    *Two Russian ships pulled out at the last minute, believed to relate to tensions over Syria
    *Two Canadian ships also cancelled after colliding during a towing exercise.
Note: No Chinese vessel is open for public inspection.

USS Chosin biggest ship at the event

Although Prince Harry will be at her side, Ms Bryce, as the Queen's representative, will receive the royal salute. One source close to the arrangements said: ''She has made it quite clear it is her receiving the salute. She has to justify her existence.''

Fireworks will be launched from the decks of RAN warships as well as city rooftops, barge positions from Cockatoo Island to Fort Denison and the Harbour Bridge. This will be accompanied by a light show from land, warships and Harbour Bridge positions

Film telling the history of the Royal Australian Navy that will be projected on the Opera House sails and the Harbour Bridge pylons

choreographed fly-overs from navy and air force aircraft

Read more

INS Sahyadri CO is Captain Sanjay Vatsayan.

Lieutenant Commander Jamie Watson (Reserve officer) of RAN joined the ship in Fremantle ahead of the International Fleet Review. More information and photo
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

So where is every one at the review meeting up.

Would like the opportunity to put faces to names.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Please contact me at my email address listed cryptically in my earlier post and I will send further details offline.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Sachin, got your email. Check yours.
member_27603
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_27603 »

Hey, when's the meeting in Hyderabad again !!! Please post the same !!!
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Sudham and Sachin,

Received both your emails.

We have a total of 3 including I.Sudham has tickets for Saturday and Sunday. Lucky.

Both of you, please check your email
member_27808
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_27808 »

RahulM and any others going, I will be in Sydney (from Melbourne) on Sun and Mon (6 and 7th) to see the warships. I am keen to meet up with other enthusiasts for a chat or beer etc.

The ticketing is a bit of a rip off and sham. I am intending to buy tickets to two different venues for two sessions - ticket cost $6 but postage around $17

My first post on this site although I have "been on this site" since 2000 as a keen observer!
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Phl, welcome and glad to connect. Please email me so i can add you to the mailing list. I have provided my email address in a somewhat cryptic form in a an earlier post which Sudham and Sachin figured out.I am communicating specific rendezvous details etc off line.

You might want to consider posting more often. Most people's hearts are in the right place although sometimes it may not be quite that apparent. Good part is its heavily moderated.

I too don't post much simply because most times I don't have the energy to follow through on any debate I start or participate in.

So far 4 confirmed:

Sudham
Sachin
phl
Self

Not bad, the last BRF Sydney meet I was part off and that I know of was more than 10 years ago and had only 2 members - LNS (he no longer posts using that handle) and myself.

Agree, the tickets are an absolute rip off but as anyone who has lived here long enough knows, its the norm. They should at least have had an electronic delivery option - I suspect its because of the wristband. I have not yet received the ticket but it should be in my mail box some time this week.

If you have not already bought your tickets, you might want to buy them as quickly as you can. Most slots are sold out.

I am flying in from Melbourne Friday evening and fly back late Sunday night. I am booked on the flying Roo.

I will look at the Sydney weather forecast closer to the day. I hope its not too bad. Melbourne got a real bashing last night.
Last edited by rahulm on 01 Oct 2013 06:28, edited 1 time in total.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Sydney has bad weather??? :)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

is the opera house open today mite!? :)
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Surya, lovely to hear from you. You coming for this one? You know you want to. Come on.

The beer has always been very good and since your last visit Oz. has had an explosion of boutique breweries. The regular "tharra" (VB, XXXX) is always available to cater for finer tastes, never fear.

Sydney weather is not as bad a Melbourne but is fickle. Fine weather ki koi grantee nahi hai on the day. It could be belting down rain or just a fine drizzle. Lets see.

Kapil, maybe you can stop being an eternal fence sitter and take the plunge. I hear the Flying tandoor Dreamliner direct service is not too bad.

The Opera house should be open but Guillaume may not be for long so get in at Benelong while you can.
member_27808
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_27808 »

Rahulm thanks I will email you shortly to get details. Got tickets for Monday for Garden Island and also tall ships. Sunday all sold out so might try and get some off gum tree - I wanted to see the US and some other warships.

Other than that looking forward to returning to my former home city and catching up with some members - can't believe it has taken me 13 or 14 years to put up post. Must be record of sorts.
sudham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sudham »

Excellent. The participation is increasing.
Looking forward to meet you all.
Also I have tickets only for one day - sun 6th dec at 1:30.
sudham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sudham »

Phl.. if memory serves me right I first started on brf in 1999. Might just beat you to it. :)
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

P Lal wrote:Rahulm thanks I will email you shortly to get details. Got tickets for Monday for Garden Island and also tall ships. Sunday all sold out so might try and get some off gum tree - I wanted to see the US and some other warships.

Other than that looking forward to returning to my former home city and catching up with some members - can't believe it has taken me 13 or 14 years to put up post. Must be record of sorts.
username changed to P Lal.
you can ask for any other human sounding name if you want,
regards.

p.s. Rahul M is different from rahulm, just so you dont get confused.
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

rahulm wrote:Surya, lovely to hear from you. You coming for this one? You know you want to. Come on.

The beer has always been very good and since your last visit Oz. has had an explosion of boutique breweries. The regular "tharra" (VB, XXXX) is always available to cater for finer tastes, never fear.

Sydney weather is not as bad a Melbourne but is fickle. Fine weather ki koi grantee nahi hai on the day. It could be belting down rain or just a fine drizzle. Lets see.

Kapil, maybe you can stop being an eternal fence sitter and take the plunge. I hear the Flying tandoor Dreamliner direct service is not too bad.

The Opera house should be open but Guillaume may not be for long so get in at Benelong while you can.
rahulm saar cant make it to the IFR got work commitments :((

Maybe we can grab a beer or two once you are back in melb and i can get to see some pics?

Soorya joo old phart joo....this is a great opportunity to grab some shepherd pie no....? :mrgreen:
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

aha shepherd pies

you guys are not keeping the demand up - had to search for a shepherds pie in Brisbane last time.

got a few more countries on my list before I return to visit Oz (i have not visited Kakadu yet :) )

sorry rahulm - just finished a Japan\SoKo trip

hopefully in a couple of years
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Surya, no worries, whenever you are here next. Brisbane is a greasy spoon fish and chips joint. Shepherds pie in Brisbane is like asking for good Bangalore dosa in Amritsar.

Andy, lets catch up as a BRF Annexe meeting in Melbourne after I am back.

P. Lal got your email.Please check yours.

So far no change to the tally of 4 attending. I might be able to score 2 tickets for the Sunday 1:00 PM Garden Island slot. Will know today. Anybody interested?

Some useful details on travel arrangements for the day I will take the train to Kings Cross and walk.

Down under, a BRF meet with 4 people is a population explosion.
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

Hmmm... well, the tickets for the 6th were all sold out.

Anyway, hope you guys get a lot of pics then.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Nick_S, I am sorry tickets were sold out. I still have not heard about the extra tickets I was to get. If you are based in Sydney, and I am able to secure the tickets would you be interested?

There should be plenty of cameras amongst us, I should think.

Here is some additional information from ticketek which I received in my email a short while ago:
Dear Ticket Holder,

Below are some important tips to make getting to and from Barangaroo and Garden Island for the International Fleet Review Warship Open Days as easy and enjoyable.

Ticket holders to the Barangaroo open days are advised that entry will be from Gate H4.1, Hickson Road, only. Public exit will be onto King Street Wharf.

Ticket holders to the Garden Island open days are advised that public entry will be through the Fleet Base 5 Gate, which is near the corner of Dowling Street and Cowper Wharf Road. Public exit will be a choice of either: ferry from the Public Access wharf at the North Eastern end of Garden Island, disembarking at 'Man Of War' Steps near the Sydney Opera House; or on foot via the Garden Island Main Gate at the end of Cowper Wharf Road.

HAVE YOUR TICKETS AND WRISTBANDS READY
Both Open Days are expecting large crowds for this event, so we recommend ensuring you have your tickets ready and wristbands on when approaching the security check points.

CHECK YOUR SESSION TIME
Please arrive at the entry gate 30 minutes prior to the entry time shown on your ticket. Due to security and safety reasons visitors will not be permitted entry outside of their allocated entry time.

CHOOSE PUBLIC TRANSPORT
All ticket holders are encouraged to use public transport to travel to and from the nearest train or bus station or ferry wharf to the Ship Open Day precincts. More information is available on http://www.fleetreviewtransport.info. Walking routes will be notified on the International Fleet Review website: http://www.navy.gov.au/ifr.

ENTRY TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Don’t forget to check the event entry terms and conditions by clicking here. The Entry Terms and Conditions outline important information about the event as well as advising dress regulations such as enclosed footwear must be worn at all times, no visitors wearing thongs will be allowed access to the sites.

Please note additional tickets cannot be purchased at the sites on the open days. All tickets must be pre purchased.
Current Sunday forecast is max of 28 deg. with partly cloudy skies. No rain. Looking good. Will re-check weather forecast on Saturday. Oz. weather forecast pundits are right up there with desi astrologers - always accurate.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Sahyadri has entered Sydney harbour. The link has the first picture. Her mast is distinctive.

First set of pics. 2 of Sahyadri.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Hi Guys,

I will be spending the day (Sat) with the family at Bradney's head.

Sunday I have tickets for 1 pm slot.
klein
BRFite -Trainee

Post by klein »

If you see an Indian with a green t-shirt with the Ashok Chakra on it say Hi .. I will be there on Monday.

--mostly lurker
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

rahulm wrote:
Andy, lets catch up as a BRF Annexe meeting in Melbourne after I am back. .
Brilliant sir ji bliss to send me a note @ anand-83 at hawtma dawt com and we can go from there
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Sudham, Tiwari and Sachin, I have emailed meeting details to each of you.

Looking forward to catching up.

Andy, will do.Please drop the "Sir" and "ji" I am not deserving of either and don't think I am a dehydrated calcified fossil yet. Simply my name will do just nicely. Thank you.
sudham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sudham »

Just entered at around 1:30. Looks like the 1 pm batch was still entering. The hot sun is burning my ears. skipped HMNZS Te Manna to head to the next boat... HMAS Darwin
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Had a great day. Met Sudha and Pranesh.

1st set of pics.

Report and more pictures later.

Interestingly, the only the Chetak has been qualified to land on Sahyadri. No other chopper has yet been qualified.

The commissioning crew of the ship feel that Mumbai has been the best performing ship. Apparently, it has always had a super crew.
member_27808
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_27808 »

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Tiwari, please X-post in china mil thread for more eyeballs.
member_27808
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_27808 »

Rahul M it was a tongue in cheek post. Photos of HMAS Vampire the Australian warship of 1950s-80s vintage.

Qingdao was very "clean."
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

did you visit it ? qingdao ? if so, any comments would be welcome.
member_27808
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_27808 »

Not impressed - sheep in sheeps clothes. The Japanese destroyer was more impressive and tech intensive.

INS Shayadri streets ahead which is, of course, to be expected based on age of vessels but regardless age etc, tech wise the Chinese have lots of catching up to do.