Wangchuk's war - Must read

Kaushal
BRFite

Re: Wangchuk's war - Must read

Post by Kaushal »

I hope his son had a wonderful birthday and God willing will see his Dad soon.<BR>Om Mani Padme Hum,<BR>Kaushal
Babui
BRFite

Post by Babui »

LNS - you beat me to it. Wow ! this guy is something else. Am I glad he's on our side :-)
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

Ki Ki So So Lhargyalo
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

You must have noticed that the name of the peak was not mentioned. Wonder why? Generally strategically located peaks are given names.<P>Since we dont come across 18000 ft peaks often I tried to find out more about them. I found mention of the following two. If you come across more please to put then down.<P>1: Keigo : At 18000 ft it overlooks the entire Turtuk valley. Recently an MMG was found on the peak, and it took our men 15 hours to climb the mountain and find it hidden in the snow. If the Pakistanis had captured Keigo, they would have easily commanded the entire Turtuk village and the sub-sector. (Rediff)<P>2. Shangruti : This 18100 ft peak is on the POK side in the Batalik. A major incursion took place on the Jubar-Kukarthang massif that descends from this feature. It was in the Batalik sector that the army was able to recover 3 paki bodies. (India Today)<P>Now the article says <BR>"Wangchuk has captured a vital mountain ridge in the Chorbat La sub-sector near Batalik"<BR>&<BR>"They've gone over the mountain tops and now directly face the Pakistani side of the loc. "Thanks to his heroic action, we are sitting bang on the LoC in Chorbat La,""<P>I wonder which peak he captured?
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

This is from IE:<P>The officer who has received a very rare personal message<BR> from the Army Chief is Major Sonam Wangchuk serving with<BR> the Indus Wing of Ladakh Scouts. Major Wangchuk led his<BR> team on an extremely difficult operation in the Chorbat La<BR> area, occupying a peak thus effectively cutting off any chance<BR> of the Pakistan Army making gains. Despite negligible supply<BR> lines, Maj Wangchuk and his Ladakh Scouts team continue<BR> to hold the position. <P> In his message of compliments to Maj Wanghchuk, Gen<BR> Malik has said ``I am very impressed with your outstanding<BR> bravery and dedication. Well done. Wish you success in<BR> future endeavours''.
Mahadev
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mahadev »

At last, a living hero!<P>My bestest wishes to Maj. Wangchuk and his jawans. May they all return safely to his family.<P>Extremely heartening to see Gen. Malik take so quick a note of this example of supreme devotion to duty. My salutes.<P>Regards<BR>Karthik Chandramouli
Kaushal
BRFite

Post by Kaushal »

Ladakhi, who are a close cousin of the Tibetans. Many Indians have a strange notion that everybody with Mongoloid racial features is not part of India. In fact 20 to 30% of India carries Mongoloid racial stock. If you read a history of Tibet the connections with India starting with Padmasambhava were extensive and their script is based on Devanagari. There is more cultural affinity between Tibet and India than there is between Tibet and China. I am not suggesting that Tibet should be a part of India, simply that there is very little reason that they should part of China. The acquiescence of the Chinese conquest of Tibet was another great Himalayan blunder by the great Indian liberal globalist by the name of Jawaharlal Nehru. Of course one can be a globalist without being gullible.<BR>Kaushal
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

> At last, a living hero!<P>Mahadev,<BR> What do you mean? Surely you must have heard of the exploits of Subedar Major Bana Singh (PVC) (JAK LI) ?!!
Mahadev
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mahadev »

My most sincere apologies !<P>Bhool ho gaie. Nothing but admiration and envy for the Dogra Spirit and Bravery.<P>I was thinking of this most recent aggression.<P>The presence of these great heroes has done the most to lift my spirits. All the casualties were pretty depressing.<P>I must reiterate that Gen Malik seems to be a leader of leaders. It is most heartening to see the brass not rushing in despite the croaking of the political parties. It is the respect for life of the jawans that will win us our battles.<P>Jai Hind
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

<< Major Sonam Wangchuk has shown that india is a secular state being defended by soldiers of all faith and colour, against a state which has been either been ruled by a military junta or by a theocratic party, and which have seen very little of democracy.<BR>>><P>That's right. And when Paks express hatred and contempt for "Hindus", what they actually mean is "all Indians". They would happily torture/murder a Sikh/Christian/Buddhist/Parsee just as they would a Hindu. Hell, they probably also hate Indian muslims, because they are of the same racial stock as the rest of us.<BR>
Kaushal
BRFite

Post by Kaushal »

I thought i should revive this for a little bit, since there are a lot of new names in the forum, and because the story is eternal in its message.<BR>Kaushal
James Bund
BRFite -Trainee

Post by James Bund »

Yup,this guy sure knows how to chuck his wang around.
Arjun Gupta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Arjun Gupta »

It's no wonder Dalai Lama has refused to celebrate his birthday this year. I am guessing he was in leh to "bless" ladakhis fighting in the Indian Army and knew some would die fighting the forces of evil.
Kaushal
BRFite

Post by Kaushal »

There are a lot more of these Ladakhi lads from where Wangchuk came from, Kaushal<P>The Rediff Special/ Chindu Sreedharan<BR>'I have to do my duty'<BR> <P>The 2000-odd monks gathered in the Mahabodhi International Meditation Centre in Leh that morning had a sprinkling of local populace among them. The next five-and-a-half hours, led by His Holiness Sakai Konema Rempochhe, they bowed their heads in prayer, chanting verses from the Buddhist religious text -- for the Indian army to emerge victorious in the Kargil conflict. <P>Such congregations have been common in the Ladakh district ever since undeclared war broke out between India and Pakistan. There are 18 major monasteries in Leh and some 112 smaller ones in and around it. Everywhere, monks hold special prayers for the welfare of their troops. <P>"The Ladakhis have always been with the Indian army," says Ladakh Buddhist Association president Samphel, "In '48, '64, '73... It's our duty." <P>Prayers, however, are not the only way these mountain people show their solidarity. Since June, people of all hues -- educated and uneducated, employed and unemployed, young and old -- have been volunteering as porters with the Indian army. Ask them why they do it and you get the same, solemn reply: <P>"It is our duty." <P>"This war is on the hills, from Drass to Turtuk. Nobody can do better than us on the mountains. Our lungs are bigger, our stamina is good and we are used to climbing," explains Tsering Angdo. <P>And so they volunteer. Teachers, students, government employees, drivers, businessmen, contractors, they all approach the LBA, the biggest socio-politico organisation in the region, which has now taken upon itself to group together volunteers. On June 23, the first of such, comprising 36 villagers mainly from Chubiwangtse, left for Dau in Batalik sector. Four days later, a second team left. A third is ready and will be on its way as soon as the army calls for it. <P>"We did it for our country," says Phunchok Wangchok, the Leh Taxi Operators Union secretary, who was the first batch, "From the base camp it is normally a six-hour walk. But our group reached there before that!" <P>His group, he continues, made five trips up, carrying provisions, ammunition etc. <P>"Our effort is to send a message to all Ladakhis about the importance of helping the army," says Samphel, "Even before, many villagers worked for the army on payment basis. But now the requirement has gone up manifold and the army needs to call on the villagers more often. They need over 200 porters a day in the Batalik region alone -- so our 40-member team once every few days doesn't make all that difference. But the idea is to motivate the villagers into offering their services. To let them know that this is not a time for rest, that they should do all they can for the country." <P>When the first batch left, it made news. The All India Radio covered it, reaching it to all corners of Ladakh. "Now I hear some 12,000 porters have been mobilised from the villages alone," Samphel says with obvious pride, "Everyone wants to go. Even retired people. For instance, in the batch that left last day, there was a 65-year-old man!" <P>When the conflict started in May, the people of Leh had come to know that the unacclimatised soldiers on the forward posts were short of even food items. The LBA immediately swung into action. Within days, with the help of the eager women folks in the town, it arranged for three truck-loads of barley powder, dry fruits and the like. <P>"Many of the boys who came with me went ready to stay back at the posts and fight. But the army wouldn't let them," complains Wangchok, "I plan to go again. But they say I will have to wait; there are others before me..." <P>Seeing Wangchok's enthusiasm, Angechok Tsao, a contractor, who was prevented from going in the second batch because of a swollen toe, is sad. "I will be in the next batch -- definite," he promises, "The soldiers are fighting for us and we need to do what we can for them. I have to do my duty." <P>
Kaushal
BRFite

Post by Kaushal »

Dalai Lama's Followers Accuse China <P> Monday, July 5, 1999; 12:30 p.m. EDT<P> NEW DELHI, India (AP) -- The Tibetan administration in exile on<BR> Monday accused China of bulldozing the place where the Dalai Lama's<BR> followers traditionally celebrate his birthday in Lhasa, the Tibetan capital. <P> Chinese authorities also have banned any Tibetan from celebrating the<BR> spiritual leader's birthday, according to a statement from the administration<BR> in northern Indian town of Dharmsala. <P> ``Recently the (Chinese) authorities bulldozed the ancient structure at the<BR> spot .... The whole area has been cordoned off,'' the statement said. <P> The Dalai Lama turns 65 on Tuesday. Last week, his administration in<BR> exitle canceled birthday celebrations in sympathy with the Indian armed<BR> forces fighting Islamic guerrillas in Kashmir. <P> The Dalai Lama and more than 100,000 Tibetans fled into India in 1959<BR> after a crackdown in Tibet by the Chinese. <BR>
Kaushal
BRFite

Post by Kaushal »

What is the Naga warcry ?<BR>Kaushal
Peeyoosh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Peeyoosh »

Kaushal<P>"Off with his head"<P>Lewid Caroll whacked it for his use.
Kaushal
BRFite

Post by Kaushal »

There is something in this thread that stirs me. I do not want to see this die yet.<BR>Kaushal
Sujit
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sujit »

Ki Ki So So Lhargyalo !!!