'Great Battles' by Vishnu Som on NDTV

Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

I'm glad everyone liked the 1947-48 episode with its unique footage on the Battle for Zoji La.

We're looking for film/video footage on the Sri Lanka operations. Please do help if you can.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Mandeep wrote:I'm glad everyone liked the 1947-48 episode with its unique footage on the Battle for Zoji La.

We're looking for film/video footage on the Sri Lanka operations. Please do help if you can.
Mandeep,

It was fantastic work. how did you guys ever convince AS Pathania to talk? Did he speak about 62 ops or was it only 48 ops? I heard he is a recluse.. I forgot to mention that I knew it had some of your touch when I saw your name in the credits at the end of the show.

I think while the 25 minutes of the show is one thing, each episode ensures that there are indepth interviews of 3-4 veterans are recorded in NDTV's archives.. the mind boggles at the amount of historical material the show would have generated.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Last night episode was kargil.

The episode opens with the famous interview of late Capt Batra PVC.

Nice to revisit the war that we have seen up close on TV. Some footage of the war correspondents hitting the dirt on the road along with the soldiers was both amusing and interesting.

We can see that the logo of the TV channel that the correspondents in the footage worked for was very subtlely blurred out.. what was that channel? ahem..starnews?

There doesn't seem to be much that the Army has added to the footage. And the interviews that took place were of Gen VP Malik , Capt Vijayant Thapars mother, PVC Awardee Yogendra Singh Yadav and Lt Gen Arjun Ray. I missed interviews from lower echelons, but good job anyway.

Shiv, I hope you caught Vikram Batra's bit...
Subra
Webmaster BR

Post by Subra »

mandeep

What part of SL ops are you planning on?

Also should try toget Havaldar Gora Singh who is now retired.

The only footage would be with the Army and some with DD.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

When this series is over, everyone who has been able to record it and has copies available, please post and let us know.

This was way overdue. Saloot and thanks to Vishnu Som and the others responsible.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Hi! Will this be telecast on Zee or Sony? I subscribe to these channels in the US only. I would love to buy DVDs of these episodes though. I vividly remember Capt Batra's interview and his punch line - 'Yeh Dil Maange More'. That line and that enthusiastic face of a true patriot will remain in my heart as long as I live.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Vivek K wrote:Hi! Will this be telecast on Zee or Sony? I subscribe to these channels in the US only. I would love to buy DVDs of these episodes though. I vividly remember Capt Batra's interview and his punch line - 'Yeh Dil Maange More'. That line and that enthusiastic face of a true patriot will remain in my heart as long as I live.
Neither - its on NDTV24x7
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jagan - I got Vikram Batra alright. I was sorry for not having caught his interview the first time in 1999 before he died.

But I am concerned at not seeing anyone else declaring on here that he/she has recorded episodes. I will surely be missing one or two episodes and I want the whole lot.
George J

Post by George J »

Ya know this thread is quite useless without clips........

if I dont see links to clips soon...imma gonna turn this into the BR romance thread.
vinodv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vinodv »

Victor wrote:When this series is over, everyone who has been able to record it and has copies available, please post and let us know.

This was way overdue. Saloot and thanks to Vishnu Som and the others responsible.

My dad recorded 2 episodes at home. He has a dial up, so he has to mail me the cd. It will take about 2 weeks. If there's someone who can post the videos before that, please do.

He missed the last episode. Someone in India tell me the repeat schedule and I'll pass it on.
Indrajit
BRFite

Post by Indrajit »

Subra wrote:mandeep

U're right,I remember seeing a documentary length feature on the army action(including Para)footage on DD National way back then,I even remember various types of small arms with the Special forces. :)
ripusingh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ripusingh »

Hello people,

I have been a long time lurker and would like to appreciate the people involved in this great forum and website. Its super informative and not just about millitary issues but generally.

Anyway, I think that the series done by Vishnu Som for NDTV is just pathbreaking work, I have not seen such good production values for a Indian millitary documentary yet (not that there have been many).
And i have also seen that Mr. Bajwa is mentioned and have read some of his posts and also his contribution to the orbats site. And I think you must have a treasure trove of anecdotes to share, please do share some with the forum.

I would suggest that maybe you guys at NDTV could do something like the PVC on DoorDarshan which though not very well made was so inspiring.

Anyway just my views. Take Care and a job well done.
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

I'm sure Vishnu'd like to do a piece on Jagan and Samir's book including an interview with the authors.

BTW Vishnu is now Associate Editor, Defence with NDTV. Congratulations from all of us BRites !
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Jagan wrote:
Mandeep wrote:I'm glad everyone liked the 1947-48 episode with its unique footage on the Battle for Zoji La.

Mandeep,

It was fantastic work. how did you guys ever convince AS Pathania to talk? Did he speak about 62 ops or was it only 48 ops? I heard he is a recluse.. I forgot to mention that I knew it had some of your touch when I saw your name in the credits at the end of the show.

I think while the 25 minutes of the show is one thing, each episode ensures that there are indepth interviews of 3-4 veterans are recorded in NDTV's archives.. the mind boggles at the amount of historical material the show would have generated.
Jags,the credit for getting General Pathania to talk and appear on the series goes entirely to Vishnu and his charm and tenacity.I just pointed him in the general direction (pun intended !). While he's refused to talk in the past (to the BBC and TOI among others) he was forthcoming this time around.Yes, he did talk about 1962.

Oh yes, there's lots of archival material contained within the interviews we recorded.Foot for future programmes I'd say.
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Jags, re Kargil Gdr (now Hav) Yogendra Singh Yadav,PVC of 18 Grenadiers was and is from the lower echelons (Personnel Below Officer Rank).
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Subra wrote:mandeep

Subra, re the Sri Lanka operations we're planning to cover both the conventional phase as well as the CI Ops.

We'll certainly try and get hold of Hav Gora Singh.

Individual units hold a fair amount of footage. !987 onwards was well within the video age remember. I've got some film from a 'certain unit'. Looking for more.

I'm appealing to BRites to help.
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Thanks, Ripu for your appreciation. I'll try and post some informative stuff in all the relevant threads including the Military History one.
Subra
Webmaster BR

Post by Subra »

mandeep

I know that individual units and the cell that uses these for dissection at Mhow later have them.

If they can release some of it, that will be great.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Mandeep wrote:Jags, re Kargil Gdr (now Hav) Yogendra Singh Yadav,PVC of 18 Grenadiers was and is from the lower echelons (Personnel Below Officer Rank).
Mandeep, I agree that VP Maliks YS Yadav, and Capt Thapars mothers interviews were most appropriate. Not sure about Arjun Ray though, what was his appt during kargil? I thought he came on scene after kargil was done and the Leh Corps was raised?
AmanC
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AmanC »

Ray handled media during Op Vijay. He was posted in Army HQs.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Mandeep,

Can we hope for DVDs of these episodes?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Todays episode is about Monte Cassino. Great episode with four to five interviews - A solid improvement over the 60th anniversary episode that was shown last year ..
Sharma
BRFite

Post by Sharma »

This Sunday 1971 ops were shown but with very little interviews. Letter written by Pakistani Jassore Fort Commander (some Col) to his Indian counter part was impressive. They should have shown some archived interview of Lt Gen J. S. Arora. Clippings were very good and also the narration.
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

Main to hospital mein tha maine kuchh nahin dekha..... :cry:

Will all episodes be repeated ?
Anshul
BRFite

Post by Anshul »

Cheer up Dhruv..!!
Actually the things that you fear the most never ever happen,but your case just turned out to be an exception.Now we have all sympathies that you did break some bones but atleast let us know how did you manage to do it..

1.Horses
2.Slithering

ps-how many girfriends turned up to see our rambo in flesh and blood.I suppose many must have slipped into your quarters on the pretext of...........meeting a an injured sweetheart :lol:
Dhruv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dhruv »

Anshul wrote:Cheer up Dhruv..!!
Actually the things that you fear the most never ever happen,but your case just turned out to be an exception.Now we have all sympathies that you did break some bones but atleast let us know how did you manage to do it..

1.Horses
2.Slithering

ps-how many girfriends turned up to see our rambo in flesh and blood.I suppose many must have slipped into your quarters on the pretext of...........meeting a an injured sweetheart :lol:
I wish u were right. But no girlfriends here....no plans of having one either :P

Actually it happened due to a mixture my high jump antics from staircase and rest was done by mud and rain.....these things are routine at NDA. Training is so rigorous. I don't think any other nation has such rigorous training for airforce and navy cadets. We do things here that are done by only army guys in other nations.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

back to the main topic guys,

here is a review of the last two episode.

1. East Pakistan 1971. General footage of the war, nothing special.

2. West Pakistan 1971. This one is quite good. Infact it had better footage on the eastern front than the previous episode. Some of the footage highlights
i. ground to air shots of a F-86 Sabre doing low level attacking runs in the front lines.
ii. Camera Gun footage from Longewala - atleast three to four tanks being brewed up by the Hunters.. lovely stuff.
iii. Camera gun footage of the attack on Attock Oil Refinery.

Interviews included: Lt Gen Depinder Singh, Brig KS Chandpuri of Longewala fame. Maj AS Bal MVC who was the Squadron Commander of Arun Khetarpal at Basantar and last was a Lt Col - MVC from DBN Battle.

In the interview with AS Bal, he quotes the Pakistani Officer coming up to meet INdian officers after the ceasefire and asking about Khetarpal.."Who was the chap in that tank"? He made our our life hell...

All in all its a great episode.

--------------------------------------------------------
I notice there hasn't been any interviews with IAF veterans? Can we expect a special episode in the end only for IAF battles? ;)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Got it as usual
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

last episode was on th4e 1965 War. More like a slide show .. Lots and lots of photos of patton nagar, made me think i was watching BR's patton nagar section ;). Good interviews incl one with the 2iC of Poona Horse. Not too many good videos in this one.. only photos and pictures.

Jagan
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

The last one was the lousiest episode. Luckily my recorder malfuntioned (actually it was ny new and irritating cordless optical mouse that malfunctioned) and I got onlythe second half.
yamirb
BRFite -Trainee

Post by yamirb »

Shiv could you manage to mail the vcds to florida? I could arrange for mailing etc. may be we could trade? if you let me know any topic of your interest that they may have done here i could send it to you. I have this cool series of called 'Shoot outs' nothing relatd to india few episode of different battles from ww-II to Iraq. done really well using 3d visualisation. I could even put on web if enough desis are intersted.

url
George J

Post by George J »

yamirb:
You do know that they can SUE your pants off for illegally hosting/distributing copyrighted materials.

I would think twice about hosting stuff that comes from the military/history/discovery channel WITHOUT their express permission. They will give you permission if you ask them nicely and your need is genuine....but I dont think your intentions would qualify.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Shiv and BR has made it clear that they are not supporting any efforts to distribute these.

So please stop making asinine posts

Admins : please do the needful
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Shiv and BR has made it clear that they are not supporting any efforts to distribute these illegaly.

So please stop making asinine posts

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

yamirb wrote:Shiv could you manage to mail the vcds to florida?
Because of the copyright issues involved none of this material will be distributed by me on or off BR. I am afraid they will be for private viewing only.
yamirb
BRFite -Trainee

Post by yamirb »

shiv wrote:
yamirb wrote:Shiv could you manage to mail the vcds to florida?
Because of the copyright issues involved none of this material will be distributed by me on or off BR. I am afraid they will be for private viewing only.
I believe as long as you are not making any money off it copyright issues should not come. it could have been just exchange of personal collections. but i emailed Vishnu and he thinks they might have vcds out commercially in couple of months.

on a separate note. is there a place on forum where more casual discussions take place? Where I can post discussions like below without getting them locked.

Was Gandhian nonviolent struggle for independence useful or hurtful to the future of India?

What was really responsible for India Independence?

Was Subhaschandra's death natural?

Of course there may be other website where such discussions might take place. but I would like to discuss them with the defense community of India.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
yamirb
BRFite -Trainee

Post by yamirb »

George J wrote:yamirb:
You do know that they can SUE your pants off for illegally hosting/distributing copyrighted materials.
I would think twice about hosting stuff that comes from the military/history/discovery channel

Why so much of aggression? Are we all on the same team or waht?
yamirb
BRFite -Trainee

Post by yamirb »

Surya wrote: asinine posts

Absolutely unnecessary
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Yamir, not aggression but sane advice from members, keeping in view the experience of forum members from previous years.
yamirb
BRFite -Trainee

Post by yamirb »

Jagan wrote:Yamir, not aggression but sane advice from members, keeping in view the experience of forum members from previous years.
comments like "asinine posts" make this forum look hostile to new comers