Warbirds of India - Please add any details

Jagan
Webmaster BR

Warbirds of India - Please add any details

Post by Jagan »

I am trying to compile a list of all phased out aircraft and retired planes of the IAF. The Warbirds, Gate Gaurdians, Derelict aircraft that can be found across the spread of India in various Airports, Air Force Installations and Memorials. The Following is a list I have compiled till date. I am sure lot of the Forum members can add/contribute thier own sightings to this list. I have deliberately left out the IAF Musuem and Hyderabad, as I have covered these places in full. I believe most of the Air Bases, Air Fields have a number of derelict aircraft in thier boundaries. <P><big><BR><pre><P>Aircraft Type Serial No Location<BR>.<BR>Agra <BR>C-119 Packet IK 455 Stored at PTS Agra<BR>C-119 Packet IK 463 Stored at PTS Agra<BR>. <BR>Bangalore <BR>HAL Gnat II E 1083 War Memorial Park OppHAL Bangalore P<BR>HF 24 Marut ? VMST Bangalore<BR>HF 24 Marut 1T ? ??P<BR>HAL HT-2 ? I I Sc Bangalore<BR> <BR>Bombay <BR>AMD Ouragan ? I I T Bombay<BR>AMD Mystere IVa ? I I T Bombay<BR>Hiller Ryan ? I I T Bombay<BR>HAL Gnat ? Diamond Gardens Chembur Bombay<BR>HAL HF 24 Marut ? Nehru Science Center Bombay<BR> <BR>Chennai (Madras) <BR>Sea Hawk IN 252 I I T Madras<BR>Sea Hawk ? I I T Madras<BR>HAL Gnat ? ?<BR> <BR>Dehradun <BR>Harvard IIb FT 105 Dehradun (where?)<BR>Hunter F 56a BA 357 RIMC Dehradun<BR> <BR>Delhi <BR>Hunter F 56a BA 288 Modern School Delhi<BR>HAL Gnat IE 1061 WAC HQ Delhi<BR>HAL Gnat II E 1205 Vayu Bhavan Delhi<BR>AMD Mystere IVa IA 1016 WAC HQ Delhi<BR>Sukhoi - 7 B ??? AFS Hindon Delhi<BR> <BR>Goa <BR>Sea Hawk IN 244 Gate Gaurdian Marmagoa P<BR>BAe Sea Harrier IN 621 Naval Air Museum Dabolim P<BR>Short Sealand IN ? Naval Air Museum Dabolim<BR>Firefly TT Mk2 IN ? Naval Air Museum Dabolim<BR>Breguet Alize IN ? Naval Air Museum Dabolim<BR>Sea Hawk IN ? Naval Air Museum Dabolim<BR>Constellation IN 315 Naval Air Museum Dabolim<BR> <BR>Pune <BR>HAL Gnat II ? National Defence Academy Salaria SquareP<BR>MiG-21 FL ? National Defence Academy<BR>MiG-21 bis C 2098 Lohegaon AFB Main Gate P<BR>Constellation BG 583 Lohegaon AFB to be despatched to IAFM<BR>Constellation BG 579 Lohegaon AFB Stored Derelict<BR> <BR>Others <BR>DHC 3 Caribou ? Walong ALG P<BR>HF-24 Marut ? AFS Uttarlai Gate Gaurdian<BR>Hunter F 56a ? AFS Gauhati Gate Gaurdian on Pole<BR>. . <BR></pre></big><p>[This message has been edited by Jagan (edited 21-07-2000).]
ehsmang
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Warbirds of India - Please add any details

Post by ehsmang »

somebody has given me Vayu 2000. it is quite a fat volume with tons of info on IAF and aviation.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jagan:<BR><B>Pune <BR>HAL Gnat II ? National Defence Academy Salaria SquareP<BR>MiG-21 FL ? National Defence Academy<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>[color="FF0000"]Caveat: Following info correct as at ~1991</FONT><P>The caption on the GNAT at NDA reads Folland GNAT. It does not say it is a HAL GNAT -II. Either you have confirmed this is a HAL GNAT or we are talking about 2 different GNAT's. <P>I have 2 photos of this GNAT at Salaria square which shows the NDA theatre & library (in 2 different shots).<P>There is/was (again ~1991-1992)a Mystere at NDA. Jagan, I do not have a picture of this one. But can try to get one in September if you want and if this plane is still there!!.<P>There is also one bird in front of the NDA cadets mess/NDA CSD canteen. My memory fails me, but this might be a "TOOFANI". This needs to be verified.<P>A MIG21 FL at NDA is news to me. Again ~1991. Your info. might be current.<P>Rahul<p>[This message has been edited by Jagan (edited 22-07-2000).]
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jagan - I clearly remember seeing a SeaHawk at NDA. <P>rahulm - If you have access to NDA I need you do do me a great favour please.<P>NDA has two tanks - a Sherman and a Patton and I have good, recent (May 2000) photos of both. But each tank has a little board in front with a description of the history of each tank - where it was captured etc.<P>Could you please either get a photo of these boards with the text readable or even get someone to manually copy down the description and send it to me?
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

Add Hf-24 Marut in Chennai's periyar tech centre.<BR>A lot of parks have the old HT-2.<P>There's also a cool liberator wreck at Goa.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Shiv:<P>A SeaHawk at NDA. Boy, have things changed.<P>Tanks:<P>Oops. I also have the same photos. and the nameplates are VISIBLE in the photos but the text is undecipherable Image . At least by me. I can still send you the scans if you want.<P>The tanks were our playground. As kids, my friend & I have sneaked into the NDA pattons & Shermans from every ingress & egress hole humanly possible. <P>Some of the guages can still to be seen.I distinctly remember the oil puddle below the engine sump was clearly visible. It gave me a kind of eeire feeling, thinking that there were people in these tanks, fighting, while this engine must have been thrashing out the revs.<P>Anyway, I ramble so I will stop.<P>Yes. For a suitable fee I can get what u want. Image.<P>Seriously. how soon do you want them. I plan on visiting in Sept. but if you are in a hurry then I could <B>TRY</B> and revive some old contacts and have somebody write & e-mail you the descriptions.<P>Once upon a time, I had them by rote Image<P>Rahul<P><p>[This message has been edited by rahulm (edited 21-07-2000).]
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

Jagan<P>The Air Force Bal Bharati School in Delhi has a Gnat. Sorry, don't know the numebr<P>R
Amitabh
BRFite

Post by Amitabh »

A Gnat flown by Air Chief Marshal LM Katre is located at the Doon School in Dehradun, his alma mater.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Jagan there are a bunch of planes at the Palam IAF museum. You really should have the Delhi members go and shoot a roll for you. I saw Gnats, HF-24 and WWII era planes and a 4000lb dumb bomb casing.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rahulm September is fine for me - and perhaps you could also get Jagan pics of the Seahawk, MiG 21 and the Ouragan (I think) standing in the corners of the field.<BR>
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Interesting. Rahulm, I am not sure the Gnat is a HAL, just assumed it was from a pic that Shiv sent me. Its still in Salaria Square by the look of it. If anyone can get the Serial No, then we can tell. The MiG-21FL info is because one can see it in the movie "Major Saab" shot on NDA Premises.<P>The presence of an Sea Hawk, Ouragan and a Mystere at NDA is news to me. If anyone can get and supply Serial Nos, Photographs, well and good. Rahul, you should get the pics for me the next time you are there.<P><BR>Harry:<P>Where is the periar tech center in Chennai? and where are these parks with HT-2s located? Also can you give me info on the Liberator Wreck in Goa?<P>Ramana: <P>I had gone to the IAF Museum thrice, and had a bunch of photos on my personal site at Tripod. A Great experience, but I believe there is still lot more to see which is undocumented at other airbases, installations.<BR>
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Had Gnat at the entrance of CAC Hq @Bamraulli ALLAHABAD.<P>I assume you would cover all planes in AFA-Dundigal. I have picture of Mig-21 with my brother, which was next to the cadets mess.<P>I will later get you the serial number of the SU-7 in front of AF-Hindan. My brother just got posted out of Hindan but I still have many people there from my school days.<BR>Cheers -Arun
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Shiv & Jagan: <P>OK, September it is then. During my ritual NDA trip I will get as many pics of Tanks & war-birds as I can, complete with all the descriptions & if possible, serial numbers.<P>Jagan, I am quite sure the caption says Folland GNAT. But my sept. visit should cement that.<P>I am going to get the Major Saab video today & see the Mig FL. This is definetely a new addition.<P>Rahul<p>[This message has been edited by rahulm (edited 21-07-2000).]
shim george
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shim george »

Jagan what about the Spitfires and the Dakotas?
shim george
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shim george »

Also the An-12
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Arun,<P>I had covered AFA Dundigal and all warbirds in Hyderabad at my tripod site at <A HREF="http://jaganpvs.tripod.com/warbird.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://jaganpvs.tripod.com/warbird.htm</A> under the appropriate section. However I dont have the pic of the MiG-21FL by the Cadets Mess!, If you can send the pic, 't would be great.<P>Last time someone was mentioning that there are some wrecks of Dakotas in AGra and other places. Some Ex-BSF Derelict dakotas at Palam. dont know the exact details.<P>Incidentally I have seen a pic of the Gnat at Vayu Bhavan in Delhi. Its not one Gnat but Three of them displayed on poles as if they were formation flying! Serial Nos Reqd! Serial Nos Reqd!<P>There are two Spitfires at IAFM Palam. But does that sum it up or are there more out there?<P>Cheers<P>Jagan<P>
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

The Mig21 photo will take quite some time, since I need to ask my brother or father to fish out.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Info sent by Vijay Reddy. by E Mail. The X-Ray Model he referes to is A MiG-21FL With the skin cutaway to reveal the insides of the aircraft. <P>-------------------------------<BR>Hi,<P>On your thread about a/c in India, you have listed 2 sea hawks as present in IITM. There is only one. the tail number,I'm pretty sure, is IN 252, but I'll let you know in a couple of days, for sure. This a/c is lying covered with dust at the back of the department of aerospace engg, but inside a 'hangar'. The other a/c in IITM is a HPT-36 (or is that a 32?) I dont remember the tail number, but can find out if you want. This one is supposed to have crashed somewhere close to IITM and was towed there. it is lying outside the department of aerospace engg in a really derilict state covered with creepers and bushes. <P>Also, there are atleast 2 ajeets, 2 gnats and 2 mig-21s (maybe more a/c,but these are what I remember from the top of my head) in the AF technical college, bangalore. Sorry, no tail numbers! Of the 2 mig-21s, one is used for engine runs and taxiing and the other, I dont think, is in a useable condition.<P>Also there is an 'x-ray' model of an a/c here, but I dont know anyhting more about that. never got to see it.<P>Hope that helps.<P>Vijay<BR>
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

jagan,<P>I have just seen the photo of thr NDA GNAT on your website.<P>I have 2 other angles of the same bird.<P>How I can e-mail these to you??<P>Regards<P>Rahul
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Rahul<P>If you have them in a scanned format email it to jagan@bharat-rakshak.com . If you have them in hardcopy, u need to scan them to JPEG format first. <P>Jagan<p>[This message has been edited by Jagan (edited 22-07-2000).]
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Jagan,<P>I am stepping out now for a dinner invite.<P>I will e-mail the jpegs to you later today or tommorrow. Please allow for time zones!!<P>Rahul<P><p>[This message has been edited by rahulm (edited 22-07-2000).]
Shirish
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shirish »

Gnat- Kamala Nehru Park, Poona
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Jagan,<P>I have e-mailed you a zip file with the scans.<P>Got it??<P>Rahul
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rahulm:<BR><B>I have e-mailed you a zip file with the scans. Got it?? </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I got the scans, thanks rahul. You are right. This is a Folland Gnat. The Serial No. says E 247 Which means it could be a Folland Gnat bought down in CKD Condition and assembled by HAL Later on. The Original Folland Supplied Gnats were numbered IE1059 - IE1084 As per the info I have. <P><BR>Regarding Spitfires, The Following are the Status of Spitfire Air Frames in India. I can vouch for the existance of only two NH631 and HS986 both of them at the IAF Museum. any info on the other aiframes?<BR><big><BR><PRE><BR>NH631 VIII Indian Air Force Historic Flight, Palam,Airworthy<BR>HS986 XVIII Indian Air Force Museum, Delhi<BR>HS674 XVIII IAF Tech School, Chandigarh India Stored<BR>HS365 XIV Indian Air Force, Ambala - Unknown Status<BR>U4 XVIII India Unknown Status<BR></PRE><BR></big><P>Just as a matter of Interest, the following are atleast Nineteen Ex-Indian Air Force Spitfires acquired by others and are now on display or flying overseas.<P><big><BR><PRE><BR>SM832 XIV Christophe Jacquard, France France Airworthy<BR>TP367 HS669 XVIII J M Limbeuf, Rouen, France France Stored <BR>MV370 XIV Gunter Leonhardt Museum,Hanover Germany Museum <BR>U7 NH649 XIV Dutch National War Museum Netherlands Museum <BR>TP285 HS649 XVIII Dutch War Museum, Netherlands Museum <BR>NH 799 XIV AVSPECS, NZ NZ Airworthy <BR>PM627 HS694 XIX Swedish Air Force Nuseum Sweden Museum <BR>ML417 IX Fighter Collection, Duxford UK Airworthy <BR>MV293 XIV Fighter Collection - airworthy UK Airworthy <BR>MV730 XIV Old Flying Machine Company UK Museum <BR>MV262 XIV Wings with Hull Aero UK Restoration <BR>MT719 VIII Cavanaugh Flight Museum, Texas USA Airworthy<BR>NH749 XIV David Price, Santa Monica USA USA Airworthy<BR>SM969 HS877 XVIII Flying 'A' Services USA Airworthy <BR>TP280 HS654 XVIII Rudy Frasca, Illinois USA Airworthy <BR>TP298 HS66? XVIII Airworthy - Skip Holm, Chino USA Airworthy <BR>PA908 M342 IX Pete Regina, Van Nuys, Ca. USA Restoration <BR>SM845 HS687 XVIII A J Reynard USA Restoration <BR>TP276 HS653 XVIII Rudy Frasca, Illinois USA Restoration <BR></PRE><BR></big><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Jagan (edited 23-07-2000).]
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Samir
Webmaster BR

Post by Samir »

Jagan, there used to be a Vampire at the The Air Force School in Subroto Park in Delhi. Dunno if it is still there. The Junior school used to have another aircraft, not sure if it was a Mystere or not. So, thats two more.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Jagan (edited 24-07-2000).]
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

Jagan<P>Here's a list I'm sure you'll be happy with<P><B>Kalaikonda</B><BR>Hunter F.56 A968 (outside 18 Squadron hangar)<BR>Ajeet E1956 (outside 2 Squadron hangar)<BR>Gnat E232 (By control tower)<BR>DHC-3 IM1057 (Diamond Jubilee Museum)<BR>K2688/I An-32 (-ditto)<P>The following Hunter airframes were recently withdrawn and are stored on base:<BR>Hunter F.56 BA268A<BR>Hunter F.56 A463<BR>Hunter F.56 A473 <BR>Hunter T.56 S576 <BR>Hunter T.56 S1389 <P><BR>Hunter T.66 S580 (St Joseph's Academy, Dehredun)<BR>Hunter T.66 S574 (Directorate General NCC, New Delhi)<BR>Hunter F.56 BA360 (CAC, Allahabad)<BR>Hunter F.56 A1012 (AHQ Delhi)<BR>Hunter F.56 A492 (SWAC, Gandhinagar)<BR>Hunter F.56 A463 (Bangaladesh AF Museum) <P>Marut D1277 (Agra - dispalyed at base school)<BR><p>[This message has been edited by rupak (edited 24-07-2000).]