MRCA News and Discussion - March 2011

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Re: MRCA News and Discussion - March 2011

Post by SaiK »

:) that is a typical salesman rolling eyes!
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

we need to get this thread back to sane topic of MMRCA folks.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

arunsrinivasan
BRFite

Post by arunsrinivasan »

I hope this thread will focus on MMRCA when the govt takes a decision .... but one never knows :)
AmitG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AmitG »

I some how feel that it will be a balance of price and meeting the requirements. While Rafale and EF look to be good aircrafts, they come with a price. MMRCA is meant to fill in the gaps in large numbers. And expensive aircrafts cannot be bought in very large numbers.

A Gripen or F-16, as I believe, comes at a much lower price that EF or Rafale. In my opinion, F-16 is a better choice because

1. Proven capability in real wars
2. An available AESA radar
3. LM has the capability to deliver them very quickly.

The problem that is seen with F-16 is that the enemy has been operating it for a decade and knows the shortcomings. But the a/c offered to India is different than what our enemy operates.

If F-16 comes with no strings attached and LM ensures that spares are provided in any situation (sanctions or no sanctions), then it is a good buy.

We can buy Rafales for specific roles (as mentioned by Shiv sometime back on his blog).
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I think it would be rudimentary if we can't table the actual cost - fly away, life cycle and operational costs, stores and other cost aspects related specific to MMRCA tender. All price projected over the net are still not sufficient to conclude the correct cost.

---
http://www.dailypioneer.com/329559/Misg ... ities.html
In terms of technologies available in the medium multi-role combat aircraft purchase, already available with the ongoing induction of the SU-30, and are likely to be available with the fifth generation fighter aircraft, where does India stand? It’s an important question, for what India is aiming to do is to simply sustain the assembly lines of contemporary aircraft with little inputs into the country’s future research and development capabilities. As the very knowledgeable, and practical, Ajay Shukla repeatedly says, the amount of money India is willing to spend on contemporary imports is more than enough to fund its entry onto the international stage as an independent developer of combat aircraft. It is only a question of political will. Going by the recent pronouncements, there is something clearly lacking in that direction.
I guess, this is in support of home grown LCA->MCA needs.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

I give the MoD credit for one and only one thing so far - that they've dragged this whole MRCA saga on for so long that everyone including the vendors, the customer (IAF), and the enthusiasts are well and truly tired, and so much so that I'm willing to pop champagne simply for a conclusion, regardless of what that might be.
Luxtor
BRFite

Post by Luxtor »

AmitG wrote:I some how feel that it will be a balance of price and meeting the requirements. While Rafale and EF look to be good aircrafts, they come with a price. MMRCA is meant to fill in the gaps in large numbers. And expensive aircrafts cannot be bought in very large numbers.

A Gripen or F-16, as I believe, comes at a much lower price that EF or Rafale. In my opinion, F-16 is a better choice because

1. Proven capability in real wars
2. An available AESA radar
3. LM has the capability to deliver them very quickly.

The problem that is seen with F-16 is that the enemy has been operating it for a decade and knows the shortcomings. But the a/c offered to India is different than what our enemy operates.

If F-16 comes with no strings attached and LM ensures that spares are provided in any situation (sanctions or no sanctions), then it is a good buy.

We can buy Rafales for specific roles (as mentioned by Shiv sometime back on his blog).
Almost all the aircraft that are in the competition have this issue of the Pukis knowing atleast a little bit about the aircrafts' capabilities. The Pukis definately know a lot about F-16. They may have a very good idea about EF since their bossom buddied the Saudis have the EFs. They may know about F-18 too since one of their "brotherly" nations in Malaysia may have let them take a look at it. Mig-29/(35) another of their brotherly nations the Bangladeshis, (despite getting their country raped, pillaged and their people massacred in the 1971 by the Pukis and have since shamelessly become chummy with them), I'm sure let them have a good look at it since they operate the type. The Grippen, I am not sure what to think about it along these lines. That leaves only the Rafale. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Frenchies after they sell us the Rafale, if we choose to buy it, hold exercises with the Pukis with the Rafale from their side and the Chinese knock off rubbish cans from the Puki side. Oh God, What to do...what to do...what to do ??? :-?
rohankumaon
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rohankumaon »

@Luxtor - There is a lot of difference between operating the aircraft and practicing with or against it...thus in term of this, I think only F16 is at loss...
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

Luxtor wrote: Oh God, What to do...what to do...what to do ??? :-?

Have Vi@gra and :rotfl:
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

arunsrinivasan wrote:I hope this thread will focus on MMRCA when the govt takes a decision .... but one never knows :)
GOI could decide anytime in the next 10 years!! This is so exciting!