Development Imperative: Ridding India of the Loony Left

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Development Imperative: Ridding India of the Loony Left

Post by Arjun »

This new thread hopes to bring several critical and hereto disparate ideas together in one place. On the one hand the country is at a critical juncture in its history where the contours of the political ideas that would lead the next several decades are getting shaped. On the other, it is getting increasingly apparent that the biggest millstone around the country's neck that is retarding progress and development in all spheres - is India's unnaturally large 'Loony Left' constituency with its stranglehold across politics, media, judiciary and other spheres.

This thread would discuss the various 'Loony Left' identifying markers commonly found in India, including -

1) In Economy - arguing for policies that inhibit growth and the spread of Indian entrepreneurship
2) In the Social sphere - arguing for discredited forms of secularism that promote exclusivist religions at the expense of non-exclusivist ones, and arguing against the leveraging of India's past as a means of invigorating the country for the future
3) In Security matters - hampering India's internal and external security profile with spurious vote-bank considerations
4) In Foreign Policy - looking at International Relations issues through the prism of foreign interests rather than Indian self-interest and promotion of Indian values abroad
5) In Political Life - retarding India's progress through actively promoting dynastic, anti-meritocratic, feudalistic elements and parties

What is not surprising is that generally ALL these markers tend to be found together as a set in susceptible individuals - which calls for treating these symptoms together as one disease rather than as disparate diseases that deserve their own individual threads for discussion.

What term can be best used to describe this collectivist set of tendencies noted above that IS fundamentally the cause of India's backwardness ? Some folks have used the term 'Nehruvian Consensus' to describe this set. In order to rid India of this mindset though, I believe we need a harder-hitting phrase which is also in line with international terminology. 'Loony Left' is a term that fits the bill perfectly.

The thread will be used to discuss the characteristics and markers of the Loony Left in India; some common breeding grounds and habitats where this species flourishes; some prominent leaders of the Loony Left herd; and what steps can be taken so as to immunize India from the dangers that this virulent and backward mindset represents.
Rahul Mehta
BRF Oldie

Re: Development Imperative: Ridding India of the Loony Left

Post by Rahul Mehta »

The looney left does NOT have power to print flawed Gazette Notifications or print flawed Legislations or throw flawed stay orders. These powers are with Ministers, MPs and judges. The growth rate in India has suffered because judges threw too many stay orders left , right and center, many Ministers printed flaws GNs and many MPs printed flawed legislations. And the Ministers, judges, IAS etc all did so ONLY because of the bribes they got, not because of looney left and their prose/poems/speeches.

IMO, blaming looney left is at best like blaming a bullet or sword , and not the person who shot the gun or wielded the sowrd .
Last edited by Rahul Mehta on 31 Oct 2013 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Rahul Mehta wrote: And they all did so ONLY because of the bribes they got, not because of looney left and their prose/poems/speeches.
RM ji, you believe the Loony Left does what it does due to bribes and corruption and not due to conviction. I tend to believe that it is the latter - which is again linked to low-IQ. And why? Because it is easier to prove the latter than the former.

In any case, the reasons for why the Loony Left acts the way it does and if education can help alleviate the problem - is also part of the scope of this thread. You are free to argue that the Loony Left is more due to corruption - but I would think it is difficult to prove that conclusively.
IMO, blaming looney left is at best like blaming a bullet or sword , and not the person who shot the gun or wielded the sowrd
Yes, but the Indian government has direct control only over the bullet or sword here and not over the foriegn elements directing them. It is important to inoculate the country from the loony left - while simultaneously trying to figure out ways to ensure their backers overseas (if any) feel the heat.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Very relevant article here. Only the phrase they use ie 'Nehruvian Consensus' is different-

A comprehensive philosophical counter to the Nehruvian Consensus

The Swatantra Party was an early attempt to rid India of the Loony Left:
Jivatram Bhagwandas Kripalani opposed Nehru vigorously on the issue of allowing separate personal laws for Muslims in 1955, charging him with communalism on the floor of Parliament. C. Rajagopalachari quit the Congress at age 80 in 1959 to establish the Swatantra Party, espousing economic liberalism. “The Congress Party has swung to the Left, what is wanted is not an ultra or outer-Left...but a strong and articulate Right,” Rajaji wrote in his essay Our Democracy. The Swatantra Party was later hounded by Indira Gandhi, who nationalized industries to decimate Swatantra Party’s financial backers. It was a classic case of destroying economic freedom to kill political freedom.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

^^^

Arjun, I would request a change of thread title. For, I don't regard the loony left as a problem. I regard the espousal of those values over every thing else as a problem. Which is some thing that is brought about by the Dynasty. If the Dynasty did not support the loony left, it would have died out.

But with dynasties support, it has grown to encompass all areas of Indian live.

So I would say "Development Imperative: Ridding India of the Dynasty". Which is no different from NaMo's vision.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Pratyush wrote:^^^

Arjun, I would request a change of thread title. For, I don't regard the loony left as a problem. I regard the espousal of those values over every thing else as a problem. Which is some thing that is brought about by the Dynasty. If the Dynasty did not support the loony left, it would have died out.

But with dynasties support, it has grown to encompass all areas of Indian live.

So I would say "Development Imperative: Ridding India of the Dynasty". Which is no different from NaMo's vision.
Pratyush, just to make clear for those who want to understand the 'Loony Left' term better...the core issue like you rightly suggest is with the espousal of the values (which I have listed as Points 1 - 5 in my introduction).

The problem, therefore, is fundamentally with a Mindset - which today receives unhealthy space in the media, politics and other spheres. We need a term for this mindset. I am open to suggestions - but this term should (i) refer to this mindset in a disparaging / negative manner given its deleterious effects on the country, & (ii) be easy on the mind and tongue.

'Nehruvian Consensus' is way too academic - and satisfies neither (i) nor (ii). Coming to your suggestion, the Dynasty is the principal backer of this mindset for sure - but putting this into the title would make it too political, and would carry the risk of having this thread moved to GDF by admins. We do have other political threads available. This thread can be more focused on analyzing the mindset and perhaps not be as political - so it is retained in the Strategic Forum.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

If it makes sense then financial backers of left must be pointed out and also how American backers of left are themselves anti-left/pseudo-seculars. Like elsewhere the backers of leftist ideologies own their own ideologies but use some other ideology to create disturbances of types to make all ideologies- other than hidden support ideology- make look at odds/competing against each other.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Thread locked. Please don't start political threads in this forum.