Exercise SINDEX: IAF and RSAF

sudipn
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sudipn »

Jagan wrote:
JTull wrote:From the High BW video, both the low visibility grey shade and the blue shade Su-30s clearly didn't have the canards. There were the Su-30Ks, no question about that.
If the canard is straight and level with the wing, it is extremely difficult to spot it. The video appears to be clear but I would not be surprised if the camera did not catch the canards in the brief clip.
you may be right... but if you guys notice the plane also does turn, it is during this turn that one can pause and advance frame by frame so that one could make out if there are canards on this aircraft.. and from what i see it appears that the canards are clearly missing...another good angle to spot canards is just after takeoff ... well no canards here too...

well i do not wanna say that they did not practice with actual mki's ..they actually might have... and what we see in the clip is a sampling of aircrats that they have used... but as far as i am concerned in this clip no i do not see a SU30MKI
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

so then, what is a No. 20 Lightnings squadron Air Dominance :D pilot doing with an RSAF pilot at Gwalior ?
Sudhir
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sudhir »

It was a Su-30MKI.

You can see the canard on the high res clip at 21 seconds into the video. Its pretty clear on the left side of the aircraft. They are pretty thin and at the same plane of the wing, so it blends in making it difficult to see. :D Its most clear when it is turning, you can see the canards on the left hand side.

The Su-30 that was taking off was not an MKI.

Play the video in full screen mode, just after the M2K takes off the Su-30MKI comes into the video, its at 20 - 21 seconds. The canard is glistening from the warmth of the Indian sky...she is the best looking girl in the dance, the undeveloped F-16 looks on with envy and admiration...errr I need to get control of my self.. :D

I see today what others see tomorrow :shock: 8)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

i think it is su-30 MK. because, they have canards too..

per link:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... u-30mk.htm

==========
PS:

Both the grey [that was preparing to take off] and the blue that did take off in the video clip has "no canards". [high bandwidth video]
Last edited by SaiK on 28 Oct 2004 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

Good catch Sudhir. Yes, it is indeed an MKI!!
Sudhir
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sudhir »

krsna - check again at 21 secs at full screen. you need to watch it carefully... good luck!
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

The canard is only visible on the high speed if played at full screen and is highlighted more due to the visible gap between the canard and the wing and only for a fleeting second as it turns left.
Karnik
BRFite -Trainee

It IS an MKI

Post by Karnik »

It is an MKI, there are four hardpoints under each wing....a Su-30K has only three...the innermost hard point next to the Maingear door is absent on a K.

Manish

BTW how can I download that video to my HDD...rightclicking does not work
bagha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bagha »

Hi Sudhir
Im of the opinion that the break in the lerx-wing thing that we see at 21 seconds is NOT the canard but the leading edge control surfaces.
Im saying this after watching the that section of the clip about a million times in the last 10 mins.
Sudhir
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sudhir »

The leading edge flap if it were extended would be visible across the entire wing.

The canards are hard to see even in a good pic, go to the Su-30MKI photo gallery. I do have a video grab of that section where the canards are clearly visible, if someone can host, I will send it to them.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/images/26oct04_pilots_big.jpg

in this pic, the two guys to the right, one of them seems to be wearing an RSAF patch. and what bout the other guy, the shorter one ? is he an IAF technician ? what is that red patch on his breast pocket ?
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

i also think it is a mki and not a su-30k but shall try to get a positive confirmation unless it is classified
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/28359.asp

Top guns clash over India RSAF F-16s engage Indian fighters in dogfights, exercise deemed a success Clement Mesenas

Singapore's top guns have been engaging in dogfights with their Indian counterparts in the open skies over Gwalior in western India in a 15-day exercise which ends today. And they have fared well, considering that the Indian Air Force includes veterans with real battle experience.
"It was a good exercise, which allowed our Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) pilots to interact with a well-established air force with highly-professional operators," said a Ministry of Defence (Mindef) spokesman.
Key to the exercise were two factors: One, it provided the RSAF access to new air training space and two, to engage for the first time, with Russian-made aircraft using different weapon platforms.
Six F-16 Fighting Falcon jets from the RSAF, led by Detachment Commander Lt Col Anil Sanker, 39, engaged in aerial combat with aircraft deployed by the Indian Air Force, which included the top-of-the-line Sukhoi-30, MiG-27, and MiG-29 and the Mirage 2000.
The MiGs and the F-16s are comparable in terms of manoeuvrability, sophistication of avionics and weapons systems, say analysts.
Both Singapore and Indian pilots tested their skills in one-on-one dogfights, which escalated to two-on-two clashes and eventually involved up to as many as 10 aircraft.
Considering that the Indians, in their Sukhoi-30s, triumphed over a visiting American team in their F-15 Eagles in exercises earlier this year at Gwalior, how did the RSAF pilots, who have fared well in international competitions, do?
A Times of India news report, quoting IAF sources, said the Indian pilots proved more than a match for their visitors.
Responding, a Mindef spokesman said: "We can understand why the Indian media would come out with a sensational story like this.
"We are very pleased with the exercise and the performance of the RSAF's pilots and aircraft. The Indian Air Force has been an excellent host, and as their guest, it would not be courteous for us to comment on the specific outcomes of the exercise."
The RSAF was, however, keener to elaborate on the knowledge it had gained from the exercise, a first between the two countries.
Chief of Air Force Maj-Gen Lim Kim Choon, who watched the exercise at Gwalior yesterday, said: "The exercise has enabled us to train with a well-established air force. We are learning much from our interactions with the IAF's excellent aviators."
In fact, the RSAF top brass is very pleased as the F-16 detachment had earlier taken part in an exercise in Dijon, France.
With two KC-135 tankers and one C-130 transport aircraft in support, the detachment undertook the journey from France to India, a deployment that required complex planning and extensive logistical preparation, Mindef said.
Air Commodore S P Rajguna (Air Officer Commanding Air Force Station Gwalior) described the exercise as mutually beneficial and said it provided invaluable learning experiences to the participants.
Both Air Commodore Rajguna and Maj-Gen Lim spoke of better interaction and co-operation in future exercises.
With Singapore and India having a 10-year relationship in joint naval exercises, more bilateral air training exercises appear to be a distinct possibility on top of the current training detachments the RSAF has for its F-16 aircraft in the United States, France and Australia.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.a ... ntid=16162

SINGAPORE: Reports on F-16s 'understandable'

Singapore's Defence Ministry distances itself from Times of India reports which claim that fighter aircraft from the Indian air force out-performed Singapore's F-16 jets - the same aircraft used by its neighbour Pakistan

The Straits Times
Tuesday, October 26, 2004

By David Boey

Singapore's Defence Ministry distanced itself yesterday from Indian media reports which claimed that fighter aircraft from the Indian air force had out-performed Singapore's F-16 jets - the same aircraft used by its neighbour Pakistan.

Following the staging of the first joint air exercise between Singapore and India, the Times of India reported last Saturday that India 'need not lose sleep even if Pakistan manages to acquire more F-16 fighters from the United States'.

The newspaper quoted unnamed sources who touted the superior performance of India's top warplanes, including Russian-made Sukhoi-30s and MiG-29s.

They were used together with the F-16s from the Republic of Singapore Air Force during the ongoing exercise, called Sindex.

It also mentioned that the Indian Air Force aircraft had beaten US Air Force F-15 fighters during an exercise in India last February.

Asked to respond to the reports that Indian fighters had proven 'more than a match' for RSAF F-16s, a Singapore Ministry of Defence spokesman said that 'we can understand why the Indian media would come out with a sensational story like this.'

'We are very pleased with the exercise and the performance of the RSAF's pilots and aircraft,' he said.

'The Indian Air Force has been an excellent host, and as their guest it would not be courteous for us to comment on the specific outcomes of the exercise.'

He added: 'Both air forces found the exercise to be of great professional value.

'The RSAF certainly looks forward to future such exercises with the Indian Air Force.'
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

Singapore and India hold first bilateral air defence exercise

Singapore and India are holding a bilateral air defence exercise in India, due to end on Wednesday 27 October.

The exercise started two weeks ago at the Gwalior Air Force Station, some 300 kilometres from Delhi.

Six F-16 fighters from the Singapore Air Force, supported by 2 tankers and 1 transport plane, operated against Sukhoi-30, MiG-27 and Mirage 2000 fighters of the Indian Air Force.

This exercise also tested the RSAF's capability in deploying aircraft over long distances.

The RSAF says the exercise paves the way for closer and more extensive bilateral co-operation in the future
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Kartik wrote:http://www.mindef.gov.sg/images/26oct04_pilots_big.jpg

in this pic, the two guys to the right, one of them seems to be wearing an RSAF patch. and what bout the other guy, the shorter one ? is he an IAF technician ? what is that red patch on his breast pocket ?
Coz is is a Singaporean? Of Tamil origin probably. Seems to be a pretty senior technician... maybe a Warrant Officer?

And the Indian Techie... the red tape signifies that he of the "Weapons trade" (as opposed to Airframe-Blue, Engine-Black,Avionics-Green etc)

The Yellow vertical stripe means he has some additional Weapons Systems qualifications.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Quote: SINGAPORE: Reports on F-16s 'understandable'

again the TimejofIjlamabad in active role.
if it says "India need not lose sleep if pakisatan buys f-16...." means there is someone deeply planted in this DDM's office. Indirectly trying to endorse and unsuccessfully create favourable atmosphere for pure satan everyday. Everyday... my friends :twisted:

Utterly jingoistic news to suit the satans. the new name of this tabloid should be satanic verses.
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

Admins, I request that this thread be kept open for atleast one more week because we can expect a few related news stories to appear during that timeframe.
Karnik
BRFite -Trainee

Positive Confiration it was a Su-30MKI SB022

Post by Karnik »

Here is your proof positive....MKI SB022 in formation with a Su-30K and RSAF F-16.....

Check this thread....

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showth ... ge=6&pp=30

I'll send an AGM-130 on your way if you flame me for linking to the keymags forum.....you have been warned ...you know who....ha :D :D :D

Manish
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

A downloadable version of the Exercise SINDEX 2004 video has been uploaded by JohnK ( pirate ) on his site.

http://www.pirate.per.sg
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

rishi wrote:
Kartik wrote:http://www.mindef.gov.sg/images/26oct04_pilots_big.jpg

Coz is is a Singaporean? Of Tamil origin probably. /quote]

Yup, that tall handsome dude is without doubt a Tamil :D

I would imagine that there were quite a few Tamils at SINDEX. I hear that the Singapore Air Force has mostly chini pilots and desi technicians while there are very few muslim Malays in the air force at all because they fear sabotage.
chilarai
BRFite

Post by chilarai »

chola wrote: ... while there are very few muslim Malays in the air force at all because they fear sabotage.
only one malay fighter pilot http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/top/story/ ... 70,00.html

and IIRC there was one malay helicopter pilot earlier
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

fyi: arun_s:

http://www.hindu.com/seta/2004/10/28/st ... 241600.htm
This award is in recognition of his research contributions and the impact of his contributions in the area of non-destructive evaluation (NDE) science and technology.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »