Possible Indian Military Scenarios - Part VII

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Possible Indian Military Scenarios - Part VII

Post by Rakesh »

Old Threads in Military Scenarios Archive.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

PNS HASMAT -0300 HRS

Captain Ali knew he cannot wait another day .His command instinct of many years told him some thing was not just right though apparently nothing was visibly wrong except the low flyout by the Indian migs and the reported possible acoustic signature of unidentified water craft

- xo ,pre apre ship for dive –I have the con
- -prepare ship for dive ,captain has the con
- Flood tanks 1 and 2 –make your depth 30 ft
Outside the the high tide was forming up putting more and more water under the keels og the agosta 70.

Captain Dipak cursed onec again as he tried to fix the gas nozzle to the air vent and the bayonet will not match and finally in desperation he just pushed it in with brute force and opened the gas cylinder valve taking care to stay away from the anesthetic gas mixture bubbles and making sure he was breathing form his tank of helium oxygen mixture

The flothane-oxygen mixture hissed in slowly into the air vent of close circuit breathing air circuit of agosta and started accumulating on the floor level and then slowly started dispersing upwards like an invisible cloak of silent death .

- secure and confirm all hatch closed
- all hatches closed and secured sir
- start motor – make your depth 50 ft
- xo how much free depth we have now
- 75 ft sir
- Make speed 3 knots till you hit the navigation channel –course 060
- Make course 060 –make speed -3 knosts
- Load torpedo tubes 1 thru 4 and confirm
- Tubes thru 1 to 4 loaded and ready sir

Outside clinging to the hull of the now moving submarine commander dipak sen was finding it more and more difficult to keep the gas nozzle pressed to the air vent as the internal air pressure built up automatically sensing the depth setting of the controls. Thou the structure of subs pressure hull was fully capable of maintaining the structural integrity at zero internal air pressure usally it was maintained at around 3 -4 psi to keep everything dry and water free .

The flothane oxygen mixture have now fully mixed with the breathing air system and unknown to crews of the submarine affecting their reactions to orders and their thinking.

First to get affected was the sonar operator closely followed by the helmsman who started dozing and before anyone could come to his assistance collapsed on the yoke putting the agotsa on a sharp 15 degree nose dive and that it did slowly plunging its entire for ward section into the slimy bottom of jamnagar national park.

Commander Dipak sen who was thrown away at the sudden change in orientation quickly swam up to surface and fired the signal flare .As the bright green flare pierced the night sky ,the marine commando group on pirotan island beach rushed in and jumped into the murky water and the capture of the Pakistan agosta took a long 15 minutes more .Opening the hatch was difficult but not impossible. The portable oxy-hydrogen torch was quickly lit and a small hand hole cut into the hatch .As water started pouring in one of the Pakistani sailors who was not in a mood to be a martyr on that day reached out in a daze of anesthetic gas and opened the hatch fully saving his and rest of their lives .

A tug from jamnagar port was waiting to tow out the still intact Pakistani submarine to the high seas from where a navy ship took over the responsibility to tow it out to its final resting place in karwar naval base, where it will lay bare all its secrets in form of deployment pattern of all Pakistani ships and submarines ,communication frequencies , patrol patterns and million other operating details which will be kep a secret for the duration of the war and so would the capture of the Pakistani submarine .

The marcos team left after a hearty breakfast at air force mess jamnagar and will not be seen or heard for some time.

Mumbaikars always had a grudge against navy –that despite being the home base of Indian navy it does not have a submarine museum like vizag has .Their grudge was likely to be addresses by a victorious navy in an years time.
-
Sudhanshu
BRFite

Post by Sudhanshu »

:)
Thank god, that Shankar just makes one post per day. I read his post first then start study for the quiz coming in next hours.<-- That is the extent of addiction.

I think, I don't know what would be future of shankar's writing, but the effort he is putting would never go into vain. It wont surprise me if some day Indian armed forces take some part of his scenario into their formal fighting doctrine.
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

KULLI MUSA VILLAGE –PAKISTAN AFGANISTAN BORDER

Captain Surendra Pratap was sick .Sick of Afghanistan ,sick of foil packed hygienic food, sick of unending stream of ice breakers his partner lt joy smith from 101st airborne
Kept on supplying every time he had one and above all he was sick of in action. For the last 48 hrs they have been lying on a perched mountain top ,keeping watch on an half depleted mud rock building supposed to be the head quarters where the regional Taliban military commander was supposed to get his weekly brief from local station chief of inter service intelligence .

To night the dinner was dehydrated roti and paneer makhani while his American counterpart made a face as he opened his c-ration and spooned out a gooey mass of indeterminate origin with some chunks of unidentifiable meat pieces in between .It did not take much time for both of them to finish the royal dinner and then they resumed the vigil .

Thru the blue green haze of night vision binoculars they could at last see some action near the buildings as four military type trucks rolled in and quickly a group of locals materialized out of alleys and started unloading the cargo which appeared to be some kind of anti tank missiles or may be anti aircraft missiles or both packed in light wooden crates and a couple of officers in full military uniform briskly went in and light in one of the corner rooms went on .

The mostly unmarked border between Pakistan and Afghanistan in fact right thru the village market of kulli musa.When Pakistan wanted to mine the border in this region local pashtuns objected rather strongly to this “un democratic moveâ€
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

www.lulu.com

What is POD (print on demand)?

Print on demand (POD) is a method of producing books or other media (such as CDs and DVDs) one at a time. With print on demand, a printer produces hard copies of a book from a digital file. That way, the book is only printed when someone buys it. With Lulu, an author gives us a digital file of the book and we create a print-ready version of the file. When a customer buys that book from Lulu, our printer prints that copy (or copies) and ships it within days.

POD is different from mass market publishing. Traditional publishers generally print thousands of copies of a given book all at once. This creates a lower cost per copy, but it requires a large publishing company that can foot the bill for all that printing and storage up front. Publishers take most of the money from book sales, and the author gets only a little bit. Lulu gives you financial control by making it possible and profitable to print a single copy.

The publisher of record depends on which service you require.

If your purpose is to use Lulu.com as the sole retail site for your work, then you are the publisher.

If your purpose is to sell your work on Lulu.com and outside of that marketplace on Amazon, Barnes&Noble.com and other online retail sites, then Lulu is the publisher. This service is called Published by Lulu.

If you would like to be publisher of your work and sell your work both on Lulu.com and on other retailers’ sites, then you may select Published by You as your distribution option.

How much does it cost to use Lulu?

Publishing through Lulu is free. There is no set-up fee and no requirement that you buy copies of your work. One of the primary advantages of Lulu is that you don't have to invest any money up front — you can publish your work for free on Lulu and then market it to all and sundry. When someone wants to buy your content, Lulu handles the transaction and pays you the creative revenue you specified.

Lulu takes a small commission when someone else buys your content. Lulu's commission consists of a small markup of the amount you set as your creative revenue. The purchase price of books, calendars, CDs and DVDs also includes a base cost for the raw materials and printing service.

http://www.lulu.com/help/index.php?fSymbol=lulu_basics

Lulu gives you the power to publish and sell books, e-books, calendars, and more.

1. Lulu is FREE, FAST and EASY

No set-up fees. No minimum order. No delay. No catch. Lulu prints and ships each book as it's bought. The buyer pays the cost — not you. Lulu only makes money if you do.
2. You're in control

You retain all rights to your work. You decide on design and layout. You set the price and creator revenue. Lulu's not the publisher — you are.
3. Sell to the world

Lulu lets you sell your work through Amazon, Borders, Barnes and Noble — and on Lulu itself. Lulu handles all transactions, order tracking and shipping.
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

Few nitpickings. In the previous scenario I thought the Marcos were not supposed to take anyone prisoners. :twisted:
And in the new scenario in Afghanistan, the action is supposed to be taking place at night with the use of NVG. What difference does an "orange" smoke make for a marker? I thought one can't distinguish between colours in starlight vision.
Hari Sud
BRFite

Post by Hari Sud »

Forum Adminstrator

Need a few directions

A bunch of us are busy putting together all Shankar's scenarios.

Once completed, what would you like us to do?

Suggest, reserve space somewhere on this website that the text and the HTML version could be placed.

I also wish you to recognise work done by all the people who have been editing, fixing grammer, and restructuring sentences. This is hard work and people will have to be appreciated. Shankar (if that is his real name should stay as the author).

I have personally completed 71 pages of editing. Other of my friends are doing similar jobs.

May I suggest that the scenarios could be read on the website; but not printed. A small membership fee for printing may be a good idea.

Thanks

Hari Sud
Toronto

Note: I am away for a few days.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Hari Sud wrote:Forum Adminstrator

Need a few directions

Suggest, reserve space somewhere on this website that the text and the HTML version could be placed.

I also wish you to recognise work done by all the people who have been editing, fixing grammer, and restructuring sentences. This is hard work and people will have to be appreciated. Shankar (if that is his real name should stay as the author).

I have personally completed 71 pages of editing. Other of my friends are doing similar jobs.

May I suggest that the scenarios could be read on the website; but not printed. A small membership fee for printing may be a good idea.

Thanks

Hari Sud
Toronto

You must put them onCD or DVD and "sell" at nominal price. I am sure that quite a few BRites would like to have a copy

Regards
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Hari Sud wrote:Forum Adminstrator

Need a few directions

Thanks

Hari Sud
Toronto

You must put them onCD or DVD and "sell" at nominal price. I am sure that quite a few BRites would like to have a copy

Regards
skaranam
BRFite

Post by skaranam »

One more Option...is www.lulu.com as indicated by Achraya....
Acharya wrote:
www.lulu.com

What is POD (print on demand)?

Print on demand (POD) is a method of producing books or other media (such as CDs and DVDs) one at a time. With print on demand, a printer produces hard copies of a book from a digital file. That way, the book is only printed when someone buys it. With Lulu, an author gives us a digital file of the book and we create a print-ready version of the file. When a customer buys that book from Lulu, our printer prints that copy (or copies) and ships it within days.

POD is different from mass market publishing. Traditional publishers generally print thousands of copies of a given book all at once. This creates a lower cost per copy, but it requires a large publishing company that can foot the bill for all that printing and storage up front. Publishers take most of the money from book sales, and the author gets only a little bit. Lulu gives you financial control by making it possible and profitable to print a single copy.

The publisher of record depends on which service you require.

If your purpose is to use Lulu.com as the sole retail site for your work, then you are the publisher.

If your purpose is to sell your work on Lulu.com and outside of that marketplace on Amazon, Barnes&Noble.com and other online retail sites, then Lulu is the publisher. This service is called Published by Lulu.

If you would like to be publisher of your work and sell your work both on Lulu.com and on other retailers’ sites, then you may select Published by You as your distribution option.

How much does it cost to use Lulu?

Publishing through Lulu is free. There is no set-up fee and no requirement that you buy copies of your work. One of the primary advantages of Lulu is that you don't have to invest any money up front — you can publish your work for free on Lulu and then market it to all and sundry. When someone wants to buy your content, Lulu handles the transaction and pays you the creative revenue you specified.

Lulu takes a small commission when someone else buys your content. Lulu's commission consists of a small markup of the amount you set as your creative revenue. The purchase price of books, calendars, CDs and DVDs also includes a base cost for the raw materials and printing service.

http://www.lulu.com/help/index.php?fSymbol=lulu_basics

Lulu gives you the power to publish and sell books, e-books, calendars, and more.

1. Lulu is FREE, FAST and EASY

No set-up fees. No minimum order. No delay. No catch. Lulu prints and ships each book as it's bought. The buyer pays the cost — not you. Lulu only makes money if you do.
2. You're in control

You retain all rights to your work. You decide on design and layout. You set the price and creator revenue. Lulu's not the publisher — you are.
3. Sell to the world

Lulu lets you sell your work through Amazon, Borders, Barnes and Noble — and on Lulu itself. Lulu handles all transactions, order tracking and shipping.
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

USS TICONDEROGA – INS MYSORE WITH MARINE EXPEDITIONARY FORCE OFF GWADOR COAST –PAKISTAN

Captain Steve baker was upset to say the least .Few days away from the amphibian landing .his ship was having every problem on the book. To start with the heli deck cross support no 7 have been identified with signs of stress corrosion cracks and all attempts to weld in reinforcements have failed so far .The lone SH 60 sea hawk helicopter have been temporarily flown out to USS George Washington along with the anti submarine capability built into her in form of APS 124 surface search radar, forward looking infra red detection system and the two Mk 46 torpedoes.

It was good the Indian navy responded immediately and detached INS Mysore their Delhi class destroyer with its own twin sea king anti submarine helicopters and one of them was in fact now attached to his ship on a permanent basis till his own sea hawk returns after the repair to the flight deck is complete

But then this was not the only problem. The auto loader of MK 26 twin arm launcher was down too with a burnt out servo motor – no doubt result of extended tour of duty and heightened alert status of last few days . Once again for a few days Ticonderogas air defense capability was very minimal and here again freshly kitted up Mysore was a welcome addition to the aging American guided missile cruiser.

Captain Steve could only hope the engineering problems that has plagued his ship for the last few days will be taken care off well before the landing operation starts .After all Ticondergoa and Mysore was tasked with air defense of the joint indo-us marine expeditionary force and he intended to do his fair share well.

The US navy is some what used to public and political criticism of its warship programmes from the OHP Perry class and the Virginia class and also the Spruence class. Seldom however been so much ill informed and hostile criticism directed against any ship like that was done with the Ticondergoa class .Though the ships of this class have vindicated her weapon and electronic systems in a series of proof tests and successful overseas deployments and despite being the most potent warships afloat today still she was and remains the scape goat of congress. The state of the art aegis combat system was in fact developed to take care of possible saturation missile/aircraft strike from erstwhile soviet unions stated anti carrier doctrine. To cope with such a situation the sensors were required to be able to react almost instantaneously and virtually unlimited tracking ability .Conventional rotating radars were simply not upto the task. The solution incorporated in aegis system was to mount four fixed planer arrays two on each forward and aft deck houses each having 4100 active radiating elements and controlled by UYK digital computer to produce and steer multiple beams for target search detection and tracking. Target evaluation and threat prioritization has a manual override feature. The system also produces target designation data for the Raytheon target illuminating radars which direct the semi active radar homing sm2/3 missiles fired from one of the two mk 26 missile launchers. It has the capability to keep 18 missiles simultaneously in air in addition to four already in the terminal mode. The Mark 99 target illuminators switch quickly from one target to another under real time computer control

Ticonderoga and her sisters have been in fact designed as command ships and all are equipped with an elaborate combat information centre, which has integral flag function and able to accept and transfer high bandwidth data from other ships and aircraft in the group .This facility was proved during her deployment fo Beirut when the operating admiral routinely used Ticonderoga as the command ship.Because of the advanced aegis system on board he was able to reduce the combat air patrol cover by more than 50%

At 9600 tons she was a large ship by any standard though when photographed in proximity to the nimitz class she appeared small but today at least next to Indian navy’s largest warship she appeared formidable –thought captain Baker
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

-Just to apologise for the break in postings just because iam in kochi now and will be back monday home base.

But then they say every cloud has silver lining so was this break.First time got a chance to interact with a major was involved in CI ops in where else but Kashmir . Over two days of boring him to death got a reasonably good idea how they do it ,what they it,how the ops are planned ,favored weapons and all .Naturally will share the same with you only in form of stories .

And added to it also some detailed idea on air defense ops and that too will be on scenarios soon -promise .

Like always told them about BR and request to visit and share if possible some his experiences (but I doubt he can do that)

Tried hard to locate the ADS but was not sucess full-wonder where the ship was and briefly met the man in charge but before any BR like discussion to many distractions came along and then there was no point -maybe next time shall have best luck

- Shankar reporting from Kochi for BR over and out
Sudhanshu
BRFite

Post by Sudhanshu »

:)
You are on time shankar. Only the terrorist factor was missing from your scenario. Now, you have got to know exactly how some good people crush these lethal human form with degenerated mind and filthy ideology.

I think you will not make us wait any longer.
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

INS MYSORE –COMBAT INFORMATION CENTRE

Commander Bhatia scanned the bank of display panels which showed all the aspect of the ships operation and system status .With her sister ship from us navy down partly due to maintenance it was My sore’s job to act as the primary defense against air as well as sub attacks with as much assistance as possible from the us guided missile cruiser .Surface threat from Pakistani navy did not worry him since with 16 Uran surface to surface missile loaded he knew he could take on the entire Pakistani surface fleet if required any time .

As of now all system status were in the green or more correctly no amber or red flash was on in any of the consoles and the internal conversation within the combat information centre was alert but not tense . The integrated combat data system supplied by Bharat Electronics was performing well and the hourly reports have just come in from the close in weapon system stations ,100 mm deck gun, the multiple uran launch tubes, the area defense surface to air missile system ,the Barak close in air defense system suitable for use against aircraft(likely) anti ship missiles (unlikely),533 mm torpedo launchers 6000 anti submarine rocket launchers and hull mounted sonar console

But commander Bhatia was not happy .The sonar display repeater while showing typical water fall display was also indicating a low frequency acoustics of un identified type .It was not a typical metallic transient or a sub screw noise whether hostile or friendly but definitely not of biological origin as its pattern was too regular and muted like that of an under sea volcano occasionally venting.

The air search radar showed no clear and present danger. He could see as far as naval air station at Karachi and nothing at least was coming this way at the moment. He tracked the movement of the IAF Phalcon for some time and then once again focused on the source of unidentified sound which seem to have been stationary for the last few hours with minor variation in position from its first reported position.

Bhatia was not sure if he should put this data on captains console or take independent decision and decided to do the later with a mental note to inform the captain at the first available opportunity as he decided to alert the accompanying kilo class over the high speed sat network when it comes up for its scheduled information up date in 2 hrs time.

It was not by accident My sore was attached to the marine expeditionary force .She happened to be the ship which had most operating experience with American navy both in Indian waters and in us waters . During Malabar 2004 over 2000 US/Indian naval personnel took part in an exercise off the south west coast of India essentially carried out to establish the inter operatibility of the two navies under combat conditions. The exercise included small boat transfer, maneuvering as a group, night time under way replenishment, sub surface and air strike simulation, search and seizure combined operation, and a simulated ocean war involving land based aircraft, submarines and surface warships .Other indian ships which participated were guided missile frigate Brahmaputra ,INS Aditya a supply and repair ship along with the submarine Shankul. From the US navy side the ships participating were USS Cowpens a guided missile cruiser, USS Garry frigate and the submarine Alexandria along with a single P-3 Orion for recon and anti ship strike simulation .

The objective of this very expensive exercise was to establish a common working platform in a multi dimension and multi threat scenario and that’s why destroyers, frigates, submarines both nuclear and conventional, aircraft all were used.

PNS OMARA- AGOSTA 90B UPGRADED -250 MTRS BELOW

Captain Hasmat was irritated and getting tense by the hour . The diffuser assembly located at the exhaust of mesma air independent propulsion system was leaking building up pressure in the outer chamber which was not designed for high pressure operation and so had be vented quite frequently under water and at 250 mtr depth even that venting needed almost 25 times atmospheric pressure creating a low frequency rumble not unlike an under sea volcano .He knew the Indian and American subs will come exploring this way sooner or later and then a confrontation was certain .He was sure of holding his own against a kilo but not so sure about a scorpene or for that matter a LA class which he knew was in the region but more near the carrier task forces operating of the coast of gwador.

-xo how long will it take us to replace the damned french muffler
And do we have a spare one on board
-yes sir captain we have but for that we need to surface after sunset
- battery status
- 34% sir and falling
-conserve max power , arrange repair as soon as dark ,steer away from target co-ordinate
- set course 135 – rev for 4 knots

The silent agosta dutifully obeyed the commanders order sliding away quietly from the danger zone for a quick night repair on surface
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

USS TICONDEROGA- SOMEWHERE IN NORTH ARABIAN SEA

In the decade following second world war it was thought the time of heavy warships is gone and as one after another legendary battleships were earmarked to the scrap yard everyone expected the heavy cruisers will soon follow and worlds oceans will be dominated by the fast moving frigates and destroyers accompanying giant air craft carriers .Fortunately for the lovers of this powerful warships it did not happen that way.What saved them was the induction of surface to air missile systems which were quite heavy and bulky in those days and needed a comparatively large ship to effectively carry and use them.in US for example a number of hulls were converted converted to carry Talos and Terrier air defense SAM systems.Added to this the large size also enabled them to carry the large radars and task force communication gear and made them ideal platform to act as flag ships.US navy and marines were also reluctant to give up their favorite heavy gun carrying cruisers because of their amphibious fire support capability and was used to great effect in both the Korean and Vietnam war.

And so for the fans of these magnificent ships of war it did not disappear like the battle ships. To summarize the balanced mix of defensive and offensive armament made it a significant asset in any naval deployment even in the age of advanced anti ship missiles becoming compact and lighter.This line of thought was reflected in us navy decision to make nuclear powered cruisers initially designated as nuclear powered frigates from the mid 50s onwards and the first one was uss long beach.A similar approach was followed by soviet navy also as they experimented new weapon systems like the Kynda class named as Raketny Kreyser(rocket carrying cruiser) and along with it ushered in the era of modern anti ship missiles.In fact the first soviet nuclear powered surface combatant was a cruiser the Kirov (25000 ton displacement) which after being manufactured in Leningrad ship breaking yard joined the northern fleet in 1981.In US the development of heavy missile carrying cruiser strted with the converting of USS Boston and USS Canberra to accommodate the twin terrier surface to air missile launchers replacing the 8 invh gun mountings .In 1956 work began on the Cleveland class which were similarly equipped with terrier or talos sam system in place of 6 inch gun turrets and the extensive rebuilt essentially consisted of a double eneded missile armament ,a very large spacious bridge for flag functions and two lofty “macksâ€
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

PNS OMARA – 175 MTRS BELOW –SPEED 4KNOTS- NORTH ARABIAN SEA

Captain Hasmat was not happy with the state of repair on the mesma air independent propulsion system carried over night but also understood that is the best the engineers can do under severe time and resource limitation as can be expected under combat conditions .He could only hope the short duration when the mesma was intermittently noisy was not noticed by the Indian navy or worse still no LA class have already started shadowing his boat .

He was right and wrong . At that moment there was no American sub in the area .All were busy screening the multiple carrier groups ,carrying out offensive operation off Gwador naval base .The amphibian landing group was still way south and such merited a scaled down under water protection provided by a pair of Indian kilos ,one forward and one behind the ships carrying the marines and Indian Para commandoes on board the landing ships. Worst still he was noticed but not yet identified . The kilo in charge of protecting the back side of the landing task force have just surfaced and receiving the urgent tasking order to identify and neutralize if required any hostile submarine in the area.

He still had few hours to breath the diesel flavored recycled air on board along with his crew . At 3 knots speed the kilo did not even register on the sonar scope at present distance between the boats .

The last sat message have alerted him about the two cruisers in close proximity to the expeditionary force and apparently the us cruiser was having some sort of problem in launching the helos. This was too good .This was too good an opportunity to go by ,thought Hasmat.

Interest in air independent propulsion systems for submarines peaked in late nineties and early 2000s with the sole objective of enhancing the performance of smaller diesel subs to the level of far larger and quiter nuclear attack subs particularly in the shallow and littoral waters .While the later generation of diesel electric subs ,like kilo and 209 can stay submerged for 3-4 days at low speed incorporation of air independent propulsion system can extend the submerged duration to two to three weeks at low cruise station keeping speed .

During the early development of submarines ,designers always wanted to be free of the limitation of air required for running the diesel generators which in its turn was essential for charging up the large bank of storage cells to provide the drive power for submerged cruise.

First recored attempt to have an air independent propulsion system was proposed by german engineer Dr Helmut Walter based on the use of hydrogen peroxide and potassium permanganate to produce oxygen and steam.High pressure diesel was injected into the reaction chamber when diesel caught fire and produced high pressure steam which could drive the turbine.The exhaust gas mainly carbon oxides and low pressure staem was expelled overboard. However the design objective was high submerged speed rather than endurance and the experimental V 80 reached unheard of speed of 28.1 knots submerged as early as 1940.This was at a time when conventional world war 2 subs had a speed of around 10 knots. The experimental underwater vehicle or submarine also were used to study the dynamics and operating control of high speed underwater vehicles. Of course v80 was a small boat weighing 76 tons and 22 mtr long .

Later in the war Krigsmarine attempted to scale up Walters prototype to a large operational model and this resulted in type XVIIB H202 coastal boats .Seven of which were manufactured but the war ended before they could be even tested in combat. The type XVII displaced 300 tons and were powered by 2500 hp turbines. Even bigger boats of this type were planned like XXVI and XVIII but the course of war and acute shortage of hydrogen peroxide never allowed this new technology to be developed to its fullest potential.

After the end of great war several scuttled models of these experimental vehicles were taken by us and usa and the scuttled boats were resurrected for experimental purpose (HMS Meteorite) .Walters and his group was brought over to UK and later collaborated with Vickers in developing more advanced versions of hydrogen peroxide base propulsion systems which resulted in high speed boats like HMS Exploder.The soviet union too built a Walter type boat and was known in nato circle as the Whale.But the soviets always focused their attention on closed cycle air independent propulsion technology and this effort finally led to 650 ton Quebec class that used liquid oxygen to sustain a closed cycle operation of the diesel engine on three shafts.About 30 were built but was known for their very poor safety records and was with drawn by 1970s.
parshu
BRFite -Trainee

Upgrading Writing Skill

Post by parshu »

[quote="Shankar"]KULLI MUSA VILLAGE –PAKISTAN AFGANISTAN BORDER

For the last 48 hrs they have been lying on a perched mountain top ,keeping watch on an half depleted mud rock building supposed to be the head quarters where the regional Taliban military commander was supposed to get his weekly brief from local station chief of inter service intelligence .

Dear Shankar,

While I appreciate the your national spirit, creativity and enthusiasm, your little war stories, however implausible, ( Joint ops in Afghanistan with Mirages!! Musharraf will lose his job!!) will be far more enjoyable if you paid attention to improving your English writing skills. The sentence I have extracted above is just an example of terrible sentence construction. One does not have to be showy or use difficult words to write competently - the story's interesting content is enough. Let me rephrase the sentence above correctly for you in more standard English.

For 48 hours, they had been lying on a mountain-top, watching the half-destroyed mud-and-rock building that was supposed to be the Taliban HQ where its regional commanders would get weekly briefings from the local station chief of the ISI.

It would be even more user friendly if you did away with such a long and cumbersome sentence.

For two days they had been lying in wait on a mountain-top overlooking a half-destroyed mud and stone building. It was supposed to be the Taliban regional HQ. One where the local station head of the ISI would hold weekly briefings for the Taliban's regional commanders.

The best way to improve your writing skills, young man, is to read, read, read. Indian journalists write excellent English, so read at least 15 magazines of quality and four good books ( of which at least three should be fiction ) every month and the quality of your writing will improve within six months. This post is meant to guide and encourage, not crticise.

Cheers
Parshu
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Mr parshu , Mr Shankar writes this in a hurry , thats why you see so many typos. :P

Its not that he is not good at english , its just that he doesnt have much time.
Hari Sud
BRFite

Post by Hari Sud »

Hello Parshu

Shankar's writing of last three years are being edited for the English as you mentioned.

Just hold on for a little bit longer. Things will be a bit more orderly.

Thanks

Hari Sud
Toronto
parshu
BRFite -Trainee

Shankar's typos

Post by parshu »

Dear Krishnan

My post was about poor writing skills, not about typos, please credit me with the ability to distinguish between the two.

Speed is no excuse for ungrammatical English. I volunteer to correct ( the English ) and proof-read ( the typos) of any article that Shankar fans want to mail me at mahseer@hotmail.com

I repeat that I took the liberty of commenting on that issue as a (presumed)elder and I do not mean to offend anyone.

Jai Jawan

parshu
parshu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by parshu »

Hari Sud wrote:Hello Parshu

Shankar's writing of last three years are being edited for the English as you mentioned.

Thanks

Hari Sud
Toronto
Good to know that Shankar's excellent content will get the form it deserves. Pl sign me up when your compilation is ready

Parshu
parshu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by parshu »

Hari Sud wrote:Hello Parshu

Thanks

Hari Sud
Toronto
Good to know that Shankar's excellent content will get the form it deserves. Pl sign me up when your compilation is ready

Parshu
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

Parshu

well I am not defending my spell mistakes or grammar or the synatx.But then when you try to recreate a combat situation ,try to get into the minds of those guys on ground under intense pressure and time constraints the thoughts usally do not come in flowing English -they come in short bursts
even when soldiers or pilots talk they do it the same way .

Language is nothing but a medium of communication ,not some thing you use to impress the other with your vocabulary or mastery of grammar but to express your thought in most effective way possible so that the persons you are writing the stories for understand the feelings and situations you are trying to convey and if you are goos may be they can visualize the situation too .

Long sentences are but normal when you trying to put into words a complicated situation which has many dimensions ,from technical to emotional state of the person to the fast changing situation on ground.Breaking up such sentences usually spoils the essential mood of the scenario ,so very while trying to paint a war scenario.

And finally the structure of composition takes time to perfect and I am not a professional writer.Just an ordinary technical guy who likes to paint situations for my friends -who like it the way it is and then use a lot of their time and effort to make it more presentable for the rest.

Some times I write at 12 in the night after a long day at the factory some times in between an inspection run or mostly in the short lunch break just because I know many like reading it every day . So in 30 minutes or so have to do some background research ,add some story components and make it a post -improving on the language quality naturally assumes a low priority
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

shankar, a bit far fetched tho' your scenarios may be (for my taste i.e !) you are doing just fine. there is absolutely no need to defend your style of english to anybody.

I'm a bit of a puritan when it comes to literature (if I may so call your scenarios) and I have absolutely no problem with your style of writing in long sentences.
in fact that is your trademark and I would hate to see you change that.

we all appreciate the effort you make to create those scenarios. trust me , it'sworth it.

many young brfites are in fact attracted mainly by your scenarios.
who knows, may be some of those guys will pick up defending the nation as a profession !!

cheers !!
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

The best way to improve your writing skills, young man, is to read, read, read. Indian journalists write excellent English, so read at least 15 magazines of quality and four good books ( of which at least three should be fiction ) every month and the quality of your writing will improve within six months. This post is meant to guide and encourage, not crticise.
Sir, if Shankar's full time job is that, then this is possible. Even professional writers don't have such time. All we want is the story which will inspire us and will also enlighten us on the great armed forces we have. Shankar has done an excellent job on that. If any babu/neta read this, he/she will surely have his trust on the capability of our Armed forces enhanced. So don't worry and have curry :)
Sudhanshu
BRFite

Post by Sudhanshu »

:) I strongly agree with Shankar as well as Prashu.

And observation made by Rahul M that "... Someday these young people will take defending nation as their profession..." holds very much rational.

What, I can say that, Shankar can take Prashu comments as pure suggestion. And just try (if possible) to enhance is writing. I think it will help him in his career too, because learning never ever goes into vain-- My personal experience.

Sudhanshu
Hari Sud
BRFite

Post by Hari Sud »

Guys

Please do not fret about Shankar's writing.

All thinkers and writers have the same problem. Tolstoy wrote and rewrote same passages many times and then hired others to recheck. Nehru when he wrote "Discovery Of India" asked his fellow inmates in the Ahmednagar Fort Prison like Pant, Rajender Parshad and others to check and recheck what he was writing. Churchill took three years to correct his war history after he finished writing it. In addition Churchill had help. I am a writer myself. I know that when an idea comes to mind, it has to be gotten out. Keyboarding and spell check comes later.

Shankar's mind races far ahead of his keyboard. It is appropriate for him to continue to think and build scenarios than to bog down in spell check. That task, we will do it for him.

I wish you guys will spare Shankar of any further discussion on the subject.

Watch for posting of part 1 of Shankar's work in BR. I am sure you will be delighted. It will be a smooth sailing for any reader. Still I cannot gurantee you Oxford english. It will be failrly close.

Cheers

Hari Sud
Toronto.
ksmahesh
BRFite

Shankar -- a very humble request

Post by ksmahesh »

Shankar ji,

I am literally addicted to your scenarios here and this time it has been a very long break in story :( :(. I am (and many others like me) are suffering so plese provide some dosage of action.

regards
ksmahesh
Angaar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Angaar »

Shankar,

I am absolutely, totally addicted to your work here. I am more than sure a lot of others are too.

Please don't let any critism here bother you - and I think I speak for everyone - we all want to see your effort in the form of a book, which I feel it really deserves. It is basically all of our two-bits at improving something that is "apna".

It is really commendable that you are doing this in spare time. And the output is absolutely fantastic!!

While improving grammar, spelling will definitely help, if it gets in the way of your thought-process/ idea-flow, lump it!! You have enough volunteers here to do that for you.

BTW, how long before the next post??
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

OCEAN SCAN FLIGHT – 6 X MIRAGE III PAF

Wing commander Liakat checked the displays as he put the formation on a low level ingress toward the amphibian task force ,protected by the Indian destroyer and American cruiser undergoing some kind of major repair in high seas .The PLAAF sat pictures were not of high resolution (though he was not very sure if that had been done intentionally). Apart from the standard complement of air defense missiles he was also carrying a sub kilo ton tactical nuclear gravity bomb one of the few still let in AF inventory ,after the devastation of the last few days.

The experts from AQ Khan Lab who briefed him about the delivery trajectory and egress route was quite confidant the system will work and he has a good chance to get out of the ensuing nuclear mess alive .

The other five were there just to confuse the defenders and protect him should and of the coalition aircraft manage to intercept his flight over the ocean ,which he felt unlikely as the Indian air force was pretty well committed at the moment deployed all over Afghanistan and protecting their forward air bases .

His mission was to be a short and swift one .Ingress at less than 100 ft ,climb to weapon release altitude of 35000 ft at 8 km to target with maximum climb rate ,release weapon and loop back and away from shock zone along with his flight mates to a sunny Karachi
He knew all the six aircraft will not make it back and he may be one of them.But being a well trained combat pilot ,this was thought which he did not allow to confuse his thinking or his mission . As he crossed the white sands of Pakistani shores ,he looked back once ,just once at his home land before nudging the stick a bit more ,loosing some more altitude and headed for the target .

The free fall nuclear bomb he was carrying was rated for 0.75 KT or had theoretically the explosive power of 750 tons of tri nitro toluene not a very heavy explosive potential roughly equivalent to 75 nos 1000 kg bombs .The same amount of explosive power could have been more effectively delivered by a squadron of F-16s ,much faster and with more accuracy but then there was a practical problem in this approach. First of all PAF were not willing to risk its dwindling inventory of falcons on a maritime strike mission and secondly IAF focus on F-16 base have made it almost impossible for the jets to take off from Sargodha Or Multan fly across the country and then carry on an accurate ocean strike on a well defended landing force a difficult proposition.

What the wing commander did not know was ,it was a plan approved by the highest military authority of the land and his flight was not the only component of the strike force .The undersea component have been also activated and the general hoped the attention of the defending coalition ships will invariably focus on the undersea threat and that will give the mirage fleet a small window of opportunity make the decisive strike. The radio active fall out in all possibility dampen if not cancel altogether the landing operation.

The cigar shaped bomb he was carrying on his centre line pylon looked harmless enough except the stabilizing fins and some what complex fusing mechanism and the heavy maraging steel casing enclosing the conventional explosive lens trigger and the very small fissile core .From a distance it would have looked like a standard drop tank .But a drop tank it was not .

BLUE EYE FLIGHT –PHALCON 4 –SOME WHERE OVER RUNN OF KUTCH

Group captain Nilesh Khanna looked intently at the radar plot of the six aircraft formation on his personal repeater station and di not like what he saw. The six mirages were on a flight path which apparently was a typical counter air patrol but with a difference. While on the present course and speed they will reach the Vikramaditya carrier group in about 45 minutes, should the take a port turn about halfway thru the projected track they will be within strike range of the landing force with relatively less air defense cover,presently under the air umbrella of mig 29ks form Vikramaditya almost at the extreme range of their combat air patrol.

He knew he needed to have some air defense asset up in the air and do that fast before a serious situation develops .His problem was not of air assets ,which there were plenty ,but none at the right place now which can be vectored quickly .

He changed the scale of combat plot and the military airfields bordering northern Arabian sea came up quickly along with the OPR status of each base on real time.There was not much choice actually .The 4 Mig 35s weapons training sortie were about to take off .The data link showed the fuel status and weapons being carried -4 R-73 Live and 150 rounds on Gasha each .Three of the aircrafts were piloted by F/L s and onlyâ€
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

PNS OMARA –APPROACHING COALITION FORCE OUTER PROTECTION SCREEN

Captain Hasmat looked at the sonar plot and tactical situation display console. The integrated combat information system gave him a reasonably accurate picture on the disposition of the anti submarine screen created by the surface fleet protecting the landing force led by USS Boxer . A few minutes back he has reduced speed to 2 knots and at that speed he was really quite . His plan was to switch to batter power during actual strike and then dive deep ,switch on the Mesma and get lost in the shallow confusing waters of Indus delta and continental shelf bordering Pakistani coastline .

He was not overtly worried about minor malfunctions of the AIP system. After all this is the first time such a system have been tried out on a submarine the size of Agosta 90 B.As the major naval powers like US and Russia switched on to nuclear propulsion for their submarines the interest in air independent propulsion increases in a large number of developing nuclear powers who wanted to use the extended patrol duration available thru AIP systems .

Four different types of air independent propulsion system came to fore based on closed cycle diesel engines utilizing stored on board liquid oxygen,closed cycle steam turbines, sterling cycle heat engines with external combustion and finally hydrogen –oxygen fuel cells. The closed cycle diesel engine utilized standard diesel engine which can either be operated on surface snorkeling atmospheric air or underwater use stored liquid oxygen and argon as an inert carrier to create synthetic air for combustion.Use of pure oxygen is not used in this system mainly to limit the combustion temperature so that a standard diesel engine can be used which would not have been possible with pure oxygen gas being used as oxidizer.The exhaust consiting of carbon di oxide ,water vapour and the inert media is scrubbed to remove carbon di oxide,cooled to remove the condensed moisture and the argon recycled back to the system to act as ballast gas .The extracted water and carbon di oxide os mixed with sea water and ejected over board at low pressure

However the closed cycle diesel engine never achieved popularity like its rival the Mesma AIP which uses a conventional Rankine cycle based turbo alternator utilizing ethanol as fuel and liquid oxygen as oxidizer to create steam in a high pressure combustion chamber operating at 60 Bar nominal pressure .What is often overlooked is of all the thermodynamic cycles used in air independent propulsion MESMA is the least efficient .Although the MESMA can generate higher shaft horse power quickly the oxygen consumption goes up steeply as one exceeds the rated speed of about 4 knots.

PNS Omara had a 200 KW MESMA system incorporated which allowed her to approach the task force with some of the worlds best anti sub escorts ,with confidance
Hari Sud
BRFite

Post by Hari Sud »

Hello, Hello, Hello

Rakesh, Ramana, Anybody of BR Management

A portion of edit work with pictures and maps of Shankar's scenario is ready. It has to be posted for easy access somewhere in the BR website.
It is the MS Word version. It runs into 75 pages. Shankar has read the edit draft.

Please suggest posting ideas.

If you like my suggestion I would post it in the dis-used BR Monitor section. I would need some help to post it there.

If you like, you may add password security for this access. Downloading and print capability may be provided, only at a cost. Also a detailed log of visitors to this section may be maintained.

Please do send your suggestions soon.

I and other volunteers have spent hours doing this, there need to be a note of appreciation for them.

Cheers

Thank you

Hari Sud
Toronto
Kiran.Rao
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kiran.Rao »

Hari Sud wrote: I and other volunteers have spent hours doing this, there need to be a note of appreciation for them.
Hari Sud
Toronto
Hari & Team,

I whole heartedly appreciate the effort you have put into this.

Regards,
Kiran.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Hari , congrats on that job.

one request tho'. plz convert the file to PDF. if not possible send the file to somebody (even me) for conversion. no need to support MS hegemony, say no to MS products.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

hi everybody
i am probably one of the newest people on this forum and i am already over my head with the kind of details you people involve in. hats off to you.
however, i still have an active imagination, and having been inspired by this particular discussion about possible indian military scenarios, i had written, compiled and self-edited about thirty five odd pages of my story for some time now.
i thought i might add my two bits to the discussion with this preview, perhaps some of you could read it and tell me whether and more importantly how i can make suitable changes.
kindly take the time to review my story as well. if you feel that its good enough, then i will add the other pages.
I hope i am not barging in too badly into Shankar's posts...
looking forward to your reviews...

CHAPTER 1
CHINESE CHECKERS

‘A SUMMARY OF RECENT EVENTS IN THE SUBCONTINENT’
REUTERS NEWS REPORT
NEWS RELEASE: THURSDAY,
“News reports are still coming in from Rangoon regarding the recent military coup that has toppled the existing military regime in Myanmar, but it is now confirmed that the coup was orchestrated by a group of senior military officers who, it is rumoured, were dissatisfied with the current state of the Myanmar armed forces and the lack of interest shown by the army leaders then in power. The coup was apparently launched on Monday by heavily armed rebel soldiers from the local garrison following weeks of rumours and tension in the highest echelons of the general staff of the Myanmar army. Video images have emerged showing armoured vehicles and tanks on the streets of Rangoon and reports are coming in of rebel soldiers having taking over the strategic locations in the city. The generals of the military junta who were in command of Myanmar for the last decade were reportedly evacuated from the government compounds in some highly dramatic evacuations by army helicopters. The helicopters, piloted by loyalist troops, landed on the lawns of the compound amidst heavy gunfire and the generals were rushed by a group of loyalist guards to the helicopters. Of the three helicopters that had landed, one managed to lift off the ground while the remaining two were damaged and then destroyed on the ground by RPG fire. Smuggled images out of Rangoon show one of the helicopters bursting into flames. The remaining loyalist troops were soon thereafter defeated and then executed within the compound walls. This and other incidents of high-level evacuations occurred around 1100 Hrs. By 1300 Hrs on Tuesday, the rebels had reportedly secured all major locations around the city, but fighting was still reported in some areas. Around 1330 Hrs on Tuesday, strike aircraft of the Myanmar Air Force appeared over the city and rocketed several loyalist positions around the government ministry buildings. The situation calmed down around dusk while the rebels consolidated their power in Rangoon. This changed around 2300 Hrs when loyalist troops rallied by the Generals evacuated earlier from the capital attempted to recapture the city. Heavy fighting was reported on the streets during the night as heavily armed rebels fought against the tanks and aircrafts of the loyalist troops around the city locations. The fighting then broke out in other cities of the country and is reportedly continuing. We have a large number of reports of indiscriminate use of aircraft delivered cluster bombs and napalm bombs in the villages and civilian areas and panic is in the air among the civilian population throughout the country.
At the present moment it is not clear who is in command of Rangoon or whether the fighting has subsided in the city or elsewhere. All foreign media having been restricted in the country by the previous regime, the main sources of information at this time are from eyewitness reports by the hundreds of civilians fleeing across the border into India, Malaysia and Thailand.
The international response to the military coup and the subsequent fighting was mixed and uncertain earlier on Monday with the United States denying to comment on its stand in the issue but asking both sides to cease fighting and prevent the loss of lives. France and Germany preferred to wait and watch the unfolding events in Myanmar while other western countries including Great Britain commented to the effect that one military dictatorship would replace another in Myanmar with no significant change in the political arena within the country. ASEAN countries including India, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia expressed ‘concern on issues related to region stability’ and expressed regret at the heavy loss of civilian lives in Rangoon and other cities of Myanmar.
This response from NATO and ASEAN countries changed on Tuesday when it was revealed by reliable sources that Lieutenant General Hoa, the army commander leading the rebel takeover in Myanmar was being supported militarily and politically by the Chinese authorities. This caused an upheaval in the western community and led to statements being issued by all major western nations including the United States that were highly critical of China’s involvement with the bloodshed. The Chinese authorities however, denied their involvement in a press conference at 1100 Hrs local time, Tuesday. The Chinese Premier Wang said, quote: ‘All allegations regarding China’s involvement with the unfortunate incidents in Myanmar and the support for Lieutenant-General Hoa’s rebels are totally false and are the product of western propaganda intending to damage the harmony and friendship between China and its ASEAN brothers. We ask both sides to cease combat and instead negotiate peacefully. China will fully support such a conference here in Beijing.’ Unquote.
However, most western countries have refused to accept this statement on the grounds that by calling both parties to a peace negotiation in Beijing, China is attempting to gain international recognition for Lieutenant General Hoa and thus strengthen his position both domestically and internationally. ASEAN countries have voiced similar doubts regarding China’s sincerity and asked the United States to intervene. The United States however, already heavily involved militarily in the middle-east and Afghanistan, refused any and all military assistance to the loyalist troops in Myanmar with State Department officials reporting in a press conference yesterday afternoon that although the Navy Carrier Battle Group or CVBG, centred around the aircraft carrier USS Kitty-hawk was being readied in the Indian ocean island base at Diego Garcia for possible operations in the Bay of Bengal, its mission was purely humanitarian relief operations and was being equipped as such.
Reacting to this statement, and to make a substantial statement unconnected with ASEAN, the Indian government issued a statement at 1730 Hours, Wednesday, that it has confirmed through its own sources, quote: ‘The total and utter lack of sincerity on behalf of the Chinese authorities’ and the presence of ‘PLA Advisors’ within Lieutenant General Hoa’s army. It went on to say that it was highly disappointed with the United States and other Western countries for showing an ‘uninspiring’ response to a crisis that has been ‘instigated and planned by the Chinese’ and with India having a responsibility towards its ASEAN neighbours, the government of India felt obliged to maintain the stability of the region ‘through all available means’.
One hour later, India officially sided with the loyalist generals but refused to comment on what level of assistance it was willing to give to the loyalist troops. Three hours later, with news arriving regarding the movement of Indian army and BSF troops towards the border with Myanmar in the NEFA region, the Chinese Government issued a statement saying that it regretted the Indian response to the crisis and reiterated its stand made earlier and denied any involvement with the crisis in Myanmar. It also called the Indian response, quote: ‘Excessive, unnecessary and provocative’ and that China ‘reserved the right to conduct its international policy regardless of Indian concerns to the contrary’. At 2300 Hrs, the Indian government called an international press conference where senior Indian army officers revealed satellite footage taken from Indian Cartosat satellites showing the massive airlift operations being conducted by the Chinese air force, PLAAF, on its forward airfields near China’s border with Myanmar and bringing in heavy military equipment and possibly reinforcement troops for the rebels in Rangoon. It was revealed for the first time by Indian Air Force officers at the conference that attack aircraft had been detected by Indian radar after taking off from Chinese airfields and heading towards Rangoon and returning after a period of time that was, Quote: ‘enough to drop a load of Cluster bombs or napalm’ before returning back to the airfields. The Indian government authorities have called this as conclusive proof that china is not only supporting the rebels politically but is also giving active military support to these forces and that if unassisted, the loyalist troops could soon succumb to this assault and be defeated. The Indian Prime minister, Atul Singh, however, denied to comment as to whether any assistance package was being given to the loyalists in Myanmar, but did say that, quote: ‘It is now clear to us that China is intent on demolishing the relations between India and Myanmar built over the years, by militarily destroying the Myanmar government and installing a puppet government under Lieutenant General Hoa. What we are seeing, therefore, is the first step taken by an aggressive and colonial minded China. The Indian government will not stand idly and watch this happen. We, as the largest democracy on this planet, have a responsibility towards our ASEAN neighbours to ensure that such aggression is curbed when it is still on its knees.’ The Prime minister was referring in this comment to the close cooperation that had started to develop between India and Myanmar’s military regime on issues such as the tackling of ULFA in NEFA and the rearming of Myanmar’s armed forces by the Indian army as a trade-off to the above-mentioned cooperation. This has been perceived as a strategic threat in Beijing for several years now and as a result it makes the possibility of Chinese involvement in this crisis more likely than previously imagined.
While the tensions between India and China remain at an all time high for the first time since the border violations of 1962, the fighting in the streets of Rangoon continues with reports of heavy casualties sustained by loyalist troops due to ‘Chinese’ air strikes. Civilians have been flooding across into refugee camps in neighbouring countries for the past three days of this crisis and there seems to be no end in sight. With the world standing and nervously watching the unfolding events in the Indian subcontinent, all western countries are conducting desperate last minute diplomacy and are asking both India and China to pull back from the borders and take a deep breath. Whether these negotiations can prevent a war from occurring between the two largest populated countries on the planet remains to be seen.â€
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

BLUE THUNDER FLIGHT -4XMIG 35 IAF

F/L Dipak Deshpande eased up on the stick as the left MFD showed his MIG 35 has reached the agreed upon cruise altitude and the voice of air battle commander came on the air waves
- Blue thunder flight –climb to flight level 500 –make course 285 –target flight of Mirage 3 on possible intercept course to marine landing group –confirm over
- Roger that blue eye –replied calmly Dipak Deshpande as the flight though led by the Russian instructor pilot it has been decided all communication will be handled by him since it was considered not prudent to let everyone know that an expert Russian pilot was helping the Indians out in an emergency.

As he gently pulled on the stick ,the ig dutifully pulled its sharp nose up and started its effortless climb to the new cruise altitude . The other three in his formation followed. Thin twin contrails quickly formed up as he crossed 30000 ft with hardly a check .At near max rate of climb ,there was no horizontal reference and he tried to focus on the central MFD set to generate the navigation data and in less than 2 minutes he was once again pushing the stick forward this time a bit more sharply as the digital read out on the wide angle head up display showed 15500 mtrs and air speed was down to 800 km/hr . The sound of the twin thrust vectored RD 33 MKV engines responding to the navigation computers command were muted at that altitude and as he leveled out the air speed again quickly picked up and before long he was flying at 1800 km/hr and still accelerating as on reflex he wanted to get off the after burner but then realizing the urgency of the situation decided to stay on the reheat zone a bit longer till he reached 1950 km/hr and then eased out of reheat zone and set the new course as dictated by the air battle commander on board Phalcon.

Behind him the flying net maintained the shape even at that high altitude .Dipak Deshpande did not know ,nor he will ever know that the flight profile was “suggestedâ€
Sudhanshu
BRFite

Post by Sudhanshu »

[quote]...Behind him the flying net maintained the shape even at that high altitude .Dipak Deshpande did not know ,nor he will ever know that the flight profile was “suggestedâ€
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

vivek_ahuja wrote:hi everybody

hey vivek... intresting scenario... plz do carry on with your post... looking forward to it... it will be double fun to read INDIA - CHINA War game in your posts and INDIA - Pakistan in Shankar's...
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

OCEAN SCAN FLIGHT -6XMIRAGE 3 –PAF

Wing Commander Liaqat checked the lookdown hated to do it but knew he had know other option but to announce his position to the world as he initiated the mid course position reporting and waited for the target data updateand weapon launch authorization from his ground controller in Karachi naval air station.

- lizard base – ocean scan- request latest target update –over
The few seconds wait was like eternity and then the raspy voice of base commander came on line
-ocean scan – target position confirmed by latest sat images –grid sector bravo zulu-you are cleared for Alaska strike-make course 210- altitude 35000ft- confirm ready to copy authorization codec-over
-lizard base –ocean scan flight lead –noted authorized for Alaska strike-making altitude 35 thousand and course 210 repeat 210 –ready to take down authorization code –over
- ocean scan lead-your authorization code for Alaska strike is zulu bravo mango sierra alpha four seven two nine -repeat zulu bravo mango sierra alpha four seven two nine –over
- lizard base –ocean scan lead- message received loud and clear- authorization code for arming is zulu bravo mango sierra alpha four seven nine two –entering code now

- code accepted lizard base –initiating course and altitude change now –over
- good hunting ocean scan flight – lizard base signing off for now

Wing commander Liyqat could feel the dampness in his armpit and in his nomex clad hands as he realized the enormity of the mission . A successful strike would either save his country from sure annihilation by scaring out the white skinned or will invite massive nuclear retaliation from US and its new found ally India which will no doubt convert his motherland into a nuclear wasteland for years to come .

Pakistan flies a large fleet of mirages mostly ex Australian air force refurbished and upgraded . Pakistan bought 50 ex-Aussie Mirages. The project "ROSE" -Retrofit of Strike Element- was set up to reclaim as many airplanes as possible and to upgrade them with latest avionics. Originally it was thought that only 20 - 25 airframes could be made operational but eventualy, more than 40 airframes were refurbuished and put back in service. The avionics upgrade included fitting of HUD, HOTAS controls, RWR's chaff / flare and most important of all the retrofit of FIAR Griffo M Radar. This radar is the Italian copy of APG-68 and has full look down shoot down capability. At present No 7 Squadron is inducting a BVR weapon of South African origin.However not all Australian mirages need air frame overhaul but quite a few of the wing sets needed changing having used up their service life in Australian service.PAF solved the problem by buying some 14 sets of wings from south Africa (unused) and mating it to the Australian mirage 3 s .

As he came out of the wave tops and started the frantic climb to weapon launch altitude, in a classic lob toss dumb nuclear delivery profile ships and air crafts in the region pressed the collective alarm bell in unison. Still outside the long range sam envelope of indo-us screening ships and no air defense aircraft in the immediate vicinity it appeared the Pakistani mirage will be able to drop its load after all . And then Wing commander Liaqat saw the four fast moving green blips appearing high up on the extreme range of his radar and then turn directly towards his flight like a big semi circular net with continuously reducing diameter.
Wing commander Liakat took a quick decision as he pressed on the transmit button while stll on max rate climb and ordered his flight to disperse and engage the bandits as he himself continued climbing to weapons launch altitude on full afterburner
-ocean scan 2 and 3 engage unidentified aircraft possibly hostile –course 165 –flight level 350
-ocean scan 4 – flight lead –make altitude 500 ft –course 210 –make speed 500 knost
- ocean scan 5 – make altitude 20000 ft –course 180 -engage target 2 (mysore)
The mirage fleet disintegrated like a well oiled machine and suddenly the approaching did not have a single formation of hostile aircrafts but six aircrafts all on different course and speed and all the young Indian pilots were confused for the first time ,not knowing which target has a higher threat priority .
It was then experience took over ,as Ivanov, a grizzled cold war warrior recognized the nuke delivery flight profile of the lead Pakistani mirage and he knew this is one job he cannot entrust to his student pilots as he briefly spoke out in Russian and then pushed down on the stick and engaged full afterburner .All the Indian pilots understood the urgent command even though in Russian and broke up too selcting individual mirages and making necessary course and speed correction for the anticipated intercept as afr away from the landing groups ships as possible .
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

vivek_ahuja wrote:
hi everybody

hey vivek... intresting scenario... plz do carry on with your post... looking forward to it... it will be double fun to read INDIA - CHINA War game in your posts and INDIA - Pakistan in Shankar's
thanks for the positive resonse nits. :)

here's the next post. its a big one because of the necessity to build up the characters and the storyline in depth. i also have a detailed 1cm:10000m military map (Nothing confidential, i assure you :wink: )from which i am making the calculations. if you have a similar map of the region, you can do the same and follow the story more properly. not that its required of course, but it sure makes the reading more fun...
for all the others who have not read my earlier post, please be kind enough to read it to follow the storyline more appropriately...

CRISIS RESPONSE CENTER, INDIAN ARMY HQ
NEW DELHI, INDIA
PRESENT DAY
0600 HRS THURSDAY
The people at the crisis response centre, a part of the Directorate of Military Operations or DGMO, at the Indian army HQ had been awake for the last forty-eight hours and it was visible on their faces. All of a sudden everyone had wanted to know what in hell was happening in Myanmar or Burma, as it was still known in some military circles. This had been compounded on Tuesday when the first piece of information regarding Chinese involvement had surfaced from RAW sources. As usual nobody had bothered asking or informing the Indian army about anything substantial, with the notable exception of the Defence Minister who made it his job to keep the army chiefs involved in the decision making processes. This was the Defence Minister who, for the first time in decades, had come from defence background and was liked by the army generals for the simple reason that when they talked, he actually listened. He also had a good sense of all things strategic, and had been instrumental in getting the approval of the government for the sale of the SS-250 SSBM, known in India as the ‘Prithvi’ to Vietnam in exchange for greater access to their naval ports for the Indian navy. That had turned out to be a good deal, with the Vietnamese extremely happy with a counterforce weapon with which to threaten the Chinese. The threat wasn’t going to be much of a headache for the Chinese, given the restricted range of the SS-250, and the relatively small numbers of these missiles deployed, but it was only an appetizer. It had taken the Chinese a very small time to find out about the deal and soon thereafter the first imagery from their satellites had shown the clearly visible deployments around Hanoi. The Indians had released the details of the deal in public and the Vietnamese had arranged the photo-op. All in all, it had infuriated the Chinese, in turn pleasing the Indian PM and the Vietnamese head of state and increasing their popularity in their respective countries.
The defence minister had also endorsed the setting up of the maintenance facility for the Malaysian Su-30MKMs in India under HAL in exchange for greater cooperation on all matters military and also to stabilize that region from similar Chinese initiatives. The underlying consideration in all these agreements had been to control the expansion of the Chinese sphere of influence in the Southeast Asian region. The recent trade negotiations with the generals of the military junta in Myanmar had been the cornerstone of this initiative.
At the same time he realised the Myanmar government for what it was, a military dictatorship in cahoots with China, and had cautioned the Prime Minister on publicly extending the hand of friendship. He had suggested using Myanmar to stamp out the ULFA once and for all, and then trying to bring Myanmar under the Indian sphere of influence, but always adding that should things go wrong, India should not get actively involved as it had in Sri-Lanka. The Indian army had agreed with this plan since it was already involved with the control of the infiltration in Kashmir and the border tensions with Pakistan and China and had wanted to end its operations against ULFA once and for all, thereby relieving the stress on it. The army had been willing to even arm the Myanmar armed forces with equipment that was in storage or about to be decommissioned. This equipment was obsolete as far as the Indian army was concerned, but was still a hell of a lot better than what the Myanmar army had. It was also something they could not have possibly afforded with their annual budget. The Defence Minister had approved the army’s list of equipment that it had wanted to be handed over to the Myanmar army. That list included the now obsolete Cheetah Light Helicopters, Light, towed field artillery of the now worthless 105mm Calibre, the assorted ammunition and thousands of world war II era steel helmets along with some other infantry equipment. Also on the deal had been T-55 tanks, Trucks and jeeps and contracts to upgrade the Myanmar army with Indian built equipment. The unwritten part of the contract, as far as the Defence Minister had been concerned, was that, taking into consideration the tensions between Thailand and Myanmar, who had already fought skirmishes before, the usage of ammunition and spares, attrition, and increasing dependency on Indian equipment, they were creating a maintenance and upgrades vacuum that could only be filled with Indian companies.
This was going to include the HAL Cheetal Helicopter upgrade from the baseline Cheetah Helicopter, maintenance for the trucks and T-55 tank spares, ammunition, replacements tools, components etcetera, the list went on. The bottom line was that the Myanmar government would have been forced into the Indian sphere of influence without significant active participation on India’s part, wrenching the strategic initiative from China, who was also trying to do the same with J-8II and J-7 fighter aircrafts for the Myanmar air force. It was like a basketball match between two players, with Myanmar being the basketball, and India and China the two players trying to steal the basketball from each other. Among one of the definite losers of this strategic game was Thailand, who would be at the wrong receiving end of all these armaments, but that was a matter of little concern to either India or China, already involved as they were, in their own survival. But as with most strategic issues, this one had been a long game, extending over years, where patience is a very critical characteristic to possess. It was here that the Defence Minister’s great Indian expansion plan had become undone.
As with every human, the Defence Minister had his flaws, the major one being his lack of knowledge on most things political, which included political backstabbing, and this meant that the people at the National Security Council or NSC, often had their own way by bypassing the Defence Minister’s chain of command and authority, without his knowing, of course. Some of these members had the ear of the Prime Minister, who had been known to be an impulsive operator. The NSC had convinced the PM that the plan being executed for Myanmar was too hesitant and covert, and that the Chinese were way ahead of the Indians simply because they were more active in their approach to Myanmar. As a result, India should reciprocate. Call the Generals of the military junta over for trade negotiations, bilateral talks, call it anything you want, they had told the PM. We can then create a stable border on our east and give China serious headaches on its southern border, forcing them to move their troops from the border with us to that with Myanmar and relieve the stress on our own army, and oh, by the way, get rid of ULFA once and for all. With this plan we can achieve in as many months as what the Defence minister is promising in years, they promised the Indian head of state.
In theory the plan was somewhat sound, but vague in all major areas, highly exaggerated in its timeline and overlooked several issues, the major one being the Chinese response to the Indian political probes. Already the Chinese news agency Xinhua had begun to create an anti-India atmosphere in china as a result of the missile sales to Vietnam and the deals with Myanmar and Malaysia. Nobody at NSC seemed to have considered the extent of the Chinese response. It might anyway have been ridiculed if someone would have suggested even a month back that the Chinese response would involve toppling the entire military junta in Rangoon to set a precedent and display to the world as to what happens to politicians/ Generals who start to go against the Chinese interests by joining India. And yet, the incidents in the last four days had shown exactly that. It certainly looked as if the Indians weren’t the only ones short on patience. All indications from RAW, DIPAC, DIA and ARC showed that the Chinese had impatient and impulsive leaders too.
The Defence Minister removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes for a bit, silently cursing the career politicians on the planet as he summed up in his head as to what was wrong with the world today, and specifically the Asia region. He had not slept for some time now and had absolutely no idea of the time until he looked at the wall on which hung clocks showing the local times in all areas of importance at the moment, including Beijing, New-Delhi, Rangoon and Kolkata among others. Unlike the members of NSC, who had taken the first opportunity to return to their beds for at least a few hours, the Defence Minster had stayed. As Defence Minister, he could have ordered them to stay, but he had deliberately not opposed their departure. At least now they had some rational people in the room, most of who were in uniforms of one sort or another, and all of them wide awake. The room had a big oval conference table and the Minister sat at one end of the table while the army, air force and navy officers sat on either side. It was indeed a big table, the minister realised, cursing himself for delving into irrelevancy. Littered on the table was a bunch of papers piling on top of itself since Monday. Some were satellite imagery from the Defence Image Processing and Analysis or DIPAC; others detailed the Order of battle or ORBAT of the Indian, Malaysian, Chinese, Pakistani and every other regional armed force in the region.
A whole bunch of papers on his end of the table were concerned with intelligence analyses and situation reports, also piling up since Monday because of the quarter-daily updates made to them. The walls around the room were filled with computer screens showing the colour-coded digital maps of Northeast India, the Myanmar border with India, the Eastern India China border region from Sikkim to Arunachal Pradesh and the Bay of Bengal region. These showed the military deployments and specifically the projected areas of conflict and deployments of the rebel and loyalist forces on the map detailing Myanmar.
Technically the prime minister should have been present in the room, but he had a separate job at the moment, involving showing his face to the media and to calm public fears and to replace it with confidence. It was a big enough job as it was, and as a result he had deputed the Defence minister and other members of the NSC to work out the details at the crisis response centre in South Block. Instead the Defence Minister had shifted the meeting to the Army HQ for reasons known only to him. The army people weren’t objecting, of course, since it only made their job of getting the information and passing the orders easier and more efficient. Many officers suspected that this might have been the reason for the sudden change in location of the meeting, with the added effect of bringing discomfort to the politicians. All of this was enough to bring a tired smile on their faces for the first time in the last forty-eight hours. The smiles vanished as the meeting was brought to order by the Def-Min, as the Minister was now known in military circles, more as a sign of affection and respect than anything else.
The room was heavily crowded even when only the chiefs of the various army and governmental organizations were present. The people sitting on the conference table included the Defence Minister, the Chief Of Army Staff or COAS, the vice-chief or VCOAS, General Officer Commanding, or GOC, of all the three army corps of eastern command that were involved in the area of operations, Chiefs of RAW, IB and NSC, the lieutenant generals in charge of DIA, DIPAC, JCEWS, Army Special Operations command, the Air-Chief Marshal of the Indian air force, his eastern air command AOC, the Air-Marshal commanding the formidable Strategic Forces Command and the Chief of Naval staff and his eastern fleet commander. Among those standing were the ADC or aides to all the seated chiefs and some other staff officers from the DGMO and DGPS. In addition, on the wall at the opposite end of where the Def-Min sat, was a large screen on which any other required commander could be summoned to attend the conference or answer the questions via the video link. At the moment it was switched off. In all, it was a formidable presence of the commanding officers of the Indian armed forces and their dominating effect on the politicians in the room was recognised by both the politicians as well as the officers themselves. The only ‘politician’ not affected by this show of force was the Defence Minister. To him, it was what he had done throughout his life. Only now, the stakes were higher, as his country stood poised to fight a major war in the Indian subcontinent.
“Gentlemen, as of exactly seven hours ago, we are directly involved in this crisis. The prime minister has told the world that India is on the side of the ‘Loyalists’, while China has decided to bet its money on the ‘rebels’. Gentlemen, the political ramifications of this decision on our part are severe. Our regional dominance in the entire Southeast Asia region, which had started booming only from the last few years, is under threat. If we fail to support Myanmar, then Vietnam will be lost and then so will the other smaller nations. For those of you, who haven’t grasped the political model that we are seeing here, let me point it out to you. What we are fighting for the last decade is a scaled down model of the cold war. There also it was against the communists, so it is here. If there it was a bipolar world during the cold war, then there is a regional bipolarity in this region today. The Americans entered the Vietnam War under Lyndon Johnson under the exact conditions that we find ourselves today. But there are two major differences between these two situations; the first one is that at no point was America directly threatened other than by its own citizens. In our case, we are not so lucky. We share a border with the enemy. If we lose Myanmar, we will face another enemy by the name of General Hoa. If Myanmar is lost, we are then geographically surrounded, and then the internal pressure on us will mount from all sides. The internal violence will flourish and the country will collapse. We are fighting today, not for the sake of a world or even a regional dominance, but for our own survival. That being the first point, the second is this: we will learn from the American model. We will not make the same mistakes. Which is why you all are here now. I have been asked to brief the PM on what our response to the situation in Myanmar will be and what will be the political consequences of that action on us. But before I can make an analysis of the political consequences, I need to know what our military responses can or should be.â€