I wonder why not? Given right economic and financial incentives, they have evry thing to gain. It's same way as Kuwanitis and Arabs financed Iraqis in 1981 against Iranians and even fench supplied Iraqis with ammunition, Superentedards fighters and Helicopters on loan? If Russians are the biggest Indian allies, then I don't see any reason for them not to help Indians. Plus they Russians, Americans and French ( the arm merchants) would benefit most, than to see both countries in ruins after nuclear exchange? Hence this strategy is based on the fact these superpowers ( so called brokers of peace), would do everything to prevent nuclear conflicts. It is not in ones' interest. I chose MIG 29 SMT, because Indians were most familiar with MIGs and mirage 2000. Most of the airforces train fighter pilots in 1.5 to 2 ratio, so in war tiem they can get out 1.5 to 2.0 sorties from the same aircraft, after quick maintenance. I have also explained the rationale for help( in the response to Mr. Sud's and Malay's comments), which you probably missed it. I am going repaste it here, for your analysis-
Dear Mr. Sud and Malay:
I apologise , for length of my post, for being so long. However it was my final post for rationale and conclusion of the "worst case scenario- The sinking of carriers". I do agree with you it is cumbersome to read the long posts as well. I would like to point out following points-
1. Such a massive aid/ help to India amounted to only 40-45 Billion Dollars in 2012. Looking at Indian economy, Gross GDP was approaching 1 trillion dollars in 2007. With conservative 7.5 to 8% growth rate Indian economy would approach almost 2 Trillion dollars with almost 500 to 600 Billion dollars in Forex reserve ?. Hence this aid was less than 2% of GDP, was not a gamble for either Russians or Americans. However basis for the help was not based upon claculation of $$ amount, but rather, what would had been consequence ( to the world )of worst case scenario of Nuclear exchange with Chinese?
2. Threat of Nuclear brinkman ship is not new to the world. It had been experienced in 1945( resulting in Japanese Surrender), in 1960's during Cuban Missile Crisis, (resulting in withdrawl of Russian Missiles from Cuba), In 1971, by Americans ( Nixon), against India during India- Pak war ( and subsequent pressure of Russians on India to conclude war soon, and not complete the capture of all the Kashmir), and last one by PINKIS/ PUKIS in
2001 against India,( and subsequent American Pressure on India, not to invade PAKIs).
We all know in nuclear exchange, no one is winner, however after math would had put whole humanity to shame, as it would have brought human sufferings to unimaginable level, and economic human losses, which could not be measured in even BillionsX Billions X Trillions of Dollars. The 40-50 Billion Dollars of help was a drop in ocean, India would have written check next day for this massive help.
3. We also know if you carry or keep Guns, then you intend to use it if some one is coming to kill yoy or rob your house( i.e when time comes?) There is more chances of nuclear exchanges with any country based upon mistrust and miscalculations, than after rational analysis. If a line has been crossed for Nuclear Thresh hold, then they would be used. If defense minister perceived, that India and China are going to dismember India and take away Kashmir and Punjab in west, and North-East India on Eastern Front, then in the defense minister's view this threshhold has been crossed?
4. Malay- Military help on massive scale and sharing Intel is not new( e.g Americans to Russians and British in WW II, to India in 1962, British again in Falk Lands, Russia to India in 1971, Americans to Israelis in 1973, Russian to India resulting in Operation Blue Star). If your friend, with whom you have treaty, to protect each other, is not going to help you, then who else? As a Super power you would have problem with credibility. Lease of two three additional Akulas to India and 200 MIG29 SMT and 60 SU30 are less than 20 Billion Dollars)
5. Choosing between India and China is not easy one. But if you analyze reccent US strategic thinking, they are quite concerned about Chinese' military capabilities. Every one would be concerned about fighting Chinese and confronting them directly. But India had no choice but to fight it out, below Nuclear thresh hold? They would always chose India, over India.They would sell or allow to sell high tech military stuff to India, than China, which is their strategic competitor.
6.There is economic interest and then there is military one. If you have to chose between them and you have only one choice, you would most likely to chose your military's interest first. America can always build its business, later on.
7. Electronic war fare capabilities are something, which are kept secret. Once your adversary knows them, they become in effective.You come to know them only once a while, when they are used. Israelis have used them successfully against Syrians in 1981, making their SAM batteries useless in Bekka Valley, by using E3 Sentries and killing their Radars by Anti radiation missiles. They used the Tactis to knock out suspected Syrian nuclear sites in 2007, whch no one has used them, except Americans ( against Iraqui's in Desert storm I and Against Serbians). I am not aware if IAF used this technique against PUKI's or even if they have this Tech?
Lastly, as I said earlier, I did not mean to interrupt or derail, Vivek's and Shankar's very interesting scenarios, which I love reading. My conclusion of scenario was culmination of " only worst case scenario". If I did so, then my apologies to you all.