Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XII

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
member_20404
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XII

Post by member_20404 »

Eagerly waiting for next salvo vivek sir
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

SASER
SOUTH OF DAULAT-BEG-OLDI (DBO)
LADDAKH, INDIA
DAY 6 + 1630 HRS (LOCAL)

Brigadier Adesara was a tired man. Six days of continuous combat in the shallow high-altitude valleys of the DBO sector under his command had drained both his units and his men. It had also drained the Chinese. And so it was a battle of force reconstitution. Whichever side fed more units into the area would win the battle at this point. Both sides were drained in terms of their high technology units. But the Chinese numbers were higher, and DBO could not hold for too much longer under the strain…

This was why when Major-General Mohanty had called up Adesara from his DIVHQ at Shyok, advising him to expect some reinforcements at the AFARP near Saser, Adesara had personally come over to Saser to see the nature of the reinforcements coming in to his command. Colonel Sudarshan was also with him, and both men were standing in battered uniforms near the command trailer of the single Pinaka MLRS battery at Saser. This unit’s vehicles had also become worn out after days of continuous use. An additional battery was on the way from Shyok now to reinforce the artillery units under Adesara, but they were a good few hours away. For the moment, Adesara would have to make-do.

“Gentlemen, welcome to hell!” Adesara said with a weary smile as he and Sudarshan walked over to approaching group of young tank commanders. The latter group wore the shoulder patches of the 43RD Armored Regiment on top of their clean uniforms. They were understandably nervous, Adesara thought, since the ground under their feet was now continuously rumbling and the thunderclaps of the explosions north in the DBO valley were only too clear with the echoes ringing down the valley. Major Kulkarni looked around to see his men and attempted to hide the fear, partially succeeding in that effort. He wanted to make a good impression too, but his confidence and arrogance had disappeared as he had seen the lines of field hospitals and ambulances in his journey from Leh to Saser. His heart was pounding loud enough to be heard over the sounds of combat coming from the north…

“Sir, 43RD Armored is reporting to DBO. What are my orders?” Kulkarni said with a salute which was returned by Adesara and Sudarshan near the Pinaka command trailer’s entrance. Sudarshan was about to speak when the sounds of incoming aircraft interrupted his very first word. As Kulkarni and his junior officers jerked into cover, a couple of Jaguar strike aircraft streaked overhead, disappearing as they flew south beyond the mountains. One of the two aircraft was trailing smoke from its port wing as it flew over. While Kulkarni and the others stood back up, dusting their uniform, Adesara looked at Sudarshan and shook his head. Sudarshan smiled in silence and then looked to Kulkarni:

“You will get used to it, son. Those were our boys returning from another strike package in the 4TH Mechanized Battalion sector. We are taking a beating out there and the 10TH has been decimated and folded into the 4TH. Your boys are going to reinforce the 4TH and attempt a breakthrough. Let’s go in here…” he pointed with a stretched arm into the command trailer before Adesara and the others walked in. The cabin was cramped with so many people inside, but it had a digital map screen on one of the computers and that was what Sudarshan needed at the moment…

“So here’s the situation, Kulkarni. The Chinese have been attempting a drive to take DBO for five days now. We are holding them in place, and they are holding us in place. Frankly speaking, the battlefield east of the DBO airstrip is a mess of burned out BMPs, T-72s and T-99s and ZBDs and littered with dead bodies of hundreds of Indian and Chinese casualties caused by Chinese field guns, our air and rocket strikes. The IAF boys are proving to be the key in our efforts at the moment. What they have done is…” Sudarshan zoomed the map out to show the entire Aksai-Chin sector on his screen… “is that they have eliminated several S-300 batteries along this highway belt and thinned out the others. Their main threat in our sector comes from the battery at Qara-Tagh-La, north of here. So what that does is it prevents them from striking this Chinese Divisional MSR coming to DBO which those ******** are using to feed a continuous line of infantry and mechanized units into the sector.

“Our own MSR is here, at Saser, but it’s a long winding path from our nearest logistical node at Leh. The Chinese nodes are closer and hence the problem at hand for the fight in the DBO sector. Sir?” Sudarshan looked at Adesara, who continued, zooming the map display back to the DBO sector:

“My own problem is here. I have to hold DBO at all costs. There are no fall back positions. So what I need to do is eliminate the enemy combat initiative by cutting off and destroying his in-sector units, putting his newer units feeding into the sector along their Qara-Tagh-La MSR on the defensive. My Chinese counterparts are attempting to do the same. They attempted to bypass the DBO airstrip defensive line on the first day of the war and hoped to drive up to Saser, cutting off my command and seizing the initiative in Laddakh. They didn’t count on Colonel Sudarshan’s 10TH Mechanized Battalion and its compliment of NAMICA anti-tank vehicles to stop the enemy dead in their tracks. However, we lost a good portion of our NAMICA vehicles and all of my T-72 force in the next three days of combat.

“I had sent what remained of the 10TH and the 4TH into a enveloping operation to cut off the Chinese DBO sector units from their MSR after we had blunted his initial assaults. That, however, failed on account of our light armor units attempting to force their way through their T-99 forces. We have support from a couple of LCH gunships under 199HU based here at Saser and Wing-Commander Dutt. They are taking their toll on the T-99s, but there are not enough gunships to go around, and certainly not enough to go offensive.” Adesara said and then sighed and dismissed the frustration in his head with a dismissive nod. Kulkarni and the others looked at each other before the Brigadier spoke again:

“Frankly, gentlemen, I have had it with the Chinese armor advantage in this sector. I want the 43RD Armored to reach the 10TH Mech FEBA and push through here.” He jabbed his finger on the point shown on the digital screen as 10TH Mech positions in the sector. “And I want you to push through north of there to what we are calling as Point-Victory-2 here. That is where you will be in a position to interdict the Chinese MSR. Get there and hold position while what remains of the 3RD Mechanized and 5TH Infantry Brigade eliminates the remaining Chinese forces caught between your units and mine.

“Gentlemen, let’s be clear about this: 4TH Mechanized is a fast moving unit. I want to release it to do what it does best. I want the 43RD Armored to slug it out and destroy the Chinese T-99 force threatening the DBO FEBA. Find and kill all enemy tanks you see out there. Don’t worry about Chinese Arty or Air. We have both under control. Worry about the ground based anti-tank firepower the Chinese have. It’s because of this kind of high-threat slugfest that I requested an Arjun tank force rather than a mobility based T-90 force. Don’t let my confidence down. The Aksai Chin is sitting here asking for freedom, gentlemen. I have additional units coming to this sector, including the 8TH Mechanized, but I want the 4TH Mechanized to start its movement along the Chip-Chap river valley by daylight tomorrow. The Arjuns are NV capable, aren’t they? Make use of it. Clear my AO off all red armor units!” Adesara said with force. Kulkarni looked up from the maps and faced the two senior officers standing before him in the dimly lit command trailer:

“Yes sir!” He began to stuff his page of notes into his uniform pocket and then all five junior officers of the 43RD snapped off a salute which was returned crisply by the two senior commanders. As the men began piling outside the trailer, Kulkarni caught up with his men and walked with them back to the line of parked Arjun tanks on the side of the gravel road. An LCH returned from the north along the valley and began to land under the directions of the ground-crew near the 199HU FARP landing pads. Kulkarni looked in silence as he saw W/C Dutt step outside his cockpit and caught his glance. Kulkarni looked at the helicopter showing black stains from flying though endless smoke clouds and the random patched up bullet-holes on the side of the helicopter, some of which were new. Kulkarni nodded his respect to the Air Force pilot before he walked to the leading Arjun tank in front of him. His gunner was standing outside on the chassis near the driver’s hatch…

“Pretty scary, sir. These boys here have been fighting for years by the look of their faces!” Sergeant Sherawat said to Kulkarni.

“You got that right, Amit. Their equipment is pretty worn out too.” Kulkarni replied as he climbed up the chassis and stepped above the turret. Amit piled up quickly as well and slid into his hatch. Kulkarni turned around to see the twenty four Arjun MBTs lined up behind him and then put on his newly designed tank helmet and comms. The gunner was already in position by that time and so was the rest of the crew. Kulkarni switched on his comms:
“Rhino-One to all Rhino Elements. We are now in the FEBA. All units on Red-Con status! Over” he lowered his mouthpiece and turned to face the gunner and loader behind him: “Load APFSDS round!”

“All units: this is Rhino-One. Expect enemy armor! Prepare for combat! Watch for friendlies as we approach the FEBA. Engage and destroy all enemy tanks you see. Keep an eye out for the T-99s. It’s a deadly enemy and do not underestimate its night-fighting capability. We are better trained and equipped. This may not be Rajasthan, but this is still our Arjun Tank and this is still the 43RD Armored Regiment! Move out!”

As the lines of Arjun tanks rolled out of Saser and entered the battlefield, night had crept in, and all that remained of daylight was the pink-red sky to the west, silhouetting the mountains. Brigadier Adesara was standing with Sudarshan as several AXE multi-terrain vehicles rolled up to take them back to their respective CPs. Sudarshan looked over at the black silhouetted outline of the Arjun tanks against the flashes of light and fire from the north and said to Adesara as he walked to his vehicle:
“About damn time!” Adesara responded with a grunt:

“Indeed. Break through to that MSR, old boy. It’s time to retake the initiative in this ground war. ”
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

ahuja sir you made my damn boring day ..... anth bhala to sab bhala ... :)
parshuram
BRFite

Post by parshuram »

Go Get ' em Tiger ....
viktor
BRFite -Trainee

Post by viktor »

Shukriya Ahuja saab.
Hari Sud
BRFite

Post by Hari Sud »

Vivek

A picture or two to indicate places of battle without too much details would be useful. At this moment the places you mention in your scenario are meaningless. But again excessive detals at 400 feet level would be meaningless also.

When you get your scenarios published, let me know. I need a few copies.

Hari Sud
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

^^^ Vivek keep up the good work, continue your narration in your own style... Great going... Awaiting the next installment with bated breath.
prabhug
BRFite

Post by prabhug »

I just posted in armours thread about using arjun in different territories.Man it has come alive in this scenario.
pragnya
BRFite

Post by pragnya »

The Aksai Chin is sitting here asking for freedom, gentlemen.
This may not be Rajasthan, but this is still our Arjun Tank and this is still the 43RD Armored Regiment! Move out!
vivek, you have an amazing way of telling a story. very realistic, pride filled patriotism!!!

here am i bowing to you...
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Umm.. I have a doubt.. When did the IAF take out the S 300 belt in Aksai Chin area?? Or did I miss something..
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Bala Vignesh wrote:Umm.. I have a doubt.. When did the IAF take out the S 300 belt in Aksai Chin area?? Or did I miss something..
so that IAF Jaguar DPSA birds can come and visit TAR and bless the Cheeni supply convoys and troop concentrations. There are couple of pages depicting how the ARC birds are jamming, IAF taking out the S-300s and Jag attacking convoys and some town to choke up the roads.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

jags also did a lo-lo-lo run onto hotian afb NW of aksai chin and took out some transports... it was described by vivek in a prior post.
member_20404
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_20404 »

Jahanpanah tussi great ho...tohfa kabool karo 8) great skill sir
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

AHUJAJI, when will the Arjuns engage the ChinTin-99 ???
Aaryan
BRFite

Post by Aaryan »

Almost 4 day's and no new post... :cry: :cry: :cry: I hope Vivek sir has not gone into hibernation again...
Mihir.D
BRFite

Post by Mihir.D »

Vivek buddy,

We need our weekly dose of your stuff. The last dose is wearing down. It's a matter of to visit BRF or not to visit BRF :cry: :(

Please buddy..

Cheers.
Aaryan
BRFite

Post by Aaryan »

Vivek sir, where are you???
Ramius
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ramius »

Waiting for your posts, Vivek Saar
Ajit.C
BRFite

Post by Ajit.C »

Vivekji-awaiting your next post - :eek: :((
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Vivek, this is a long wait...
viktor
BRFite -Trainee

Post by viktor »

My doc says that I am suffering from acute withdrawal symptoms Ahuja saab. Eagerly waiting for your next post.
nitinr
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nitinr »

Intehaan ho hai, intezaar ki..
Aaii na kuch khabar mere yaar ki..
???
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Gentlemen,

I have some good news: I have taken the last few days to finalize my dealings with a self-publishing firm for releasing my novel in paperback format. I expect to have a link for the book in the next two weeks and it should be on Amazon in the next four.

I recently published a design book on missiles that is highlighted in the link below from the publisher's website. This book will hit Amazon in the next week or so. My good experience with this publisher and the quality of publishing (I recently got my paperback version by mail) made me decide to publish the novel with the same publishers.

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/p ... n/18724143

I will keep you all updated on the release date as soon as I have it.

Thanks!

-Vivek
Last edited by vivek_ahuja on 14 Dec 2011 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Hari Sud wrote:Vivek

A picture or two to indicate places of battle without too much details would be useful. At this moment the places you mention in your scenario are meaningless. But again excessive detals at 400 feet level would be meaningless also.
I agree. I have a couple of maps made for this battle. Will upload them here shortly.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Vivek
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

FORWARD EDGE OF THE BATTLEFIELD
EAST OF DAULAT-BEG-OLDI (DBO)
LADDAKH
DAY 6 + 1750 HRS (LOCAL)

“Is it operational?”

“Negative sir. Thermal shows erratic white spots. Could be fires inside”

“Roger. Bypass it. Be careful from now on.” Major Kulkarni said as he backed away from his commander’s sight and rubbed his eyes before peering through it again. They had just spotted a burnt out BMP-2 vehicle of the now demolished 10TH Mechanized unit as they approached the frontline. Kulkarni had called for a stop to allow his unit to regain a line-abreast formation after traversing the rugged terrain from Saser to the southeast of DBO. Now they were behind the 4TH Mech lines, and the 43RD was conducting a Passage-of-Lines (POL) through the former unit and take position on its projected Line of Departure (LOD) in the FEBA towards the Chinese positions…

“Driver! Traverse forward!”

“Roger!” was the reply and the Arjun tank lurched forward with a thunder followed by nine other tanks in the first wave of the 43RD Armored RHINO-Force. Passage of lines was always the difficult part of the operation. During that process, you were close enough to the enemy that you could not afford to not be trigger-friendly. But you were closer still to Friendly Forces that one mistake and you could light up a friendly unit in a heartbeat. The process became difficult still during nighttime, when visual acquisition was restricted to native passive night vision and thermal scopes, either of which offered a murky picture at best inside a live battlefield lit with massive small and large, temporal and steady sources of light and heat emissions…

“Rhino-Two to –One: I have three, say again: three, BMP-2 silhouettes at five hundred meters at eleven to my position. Over” the R/T squawked. Kulkarni rotated his sights to see what the designated targets were.

“Roger! I have them. Confirmed BMPs in natural defilade: looks like they are active and alive! I also spot infantry in defensive positions. Looks like we are approaching 4TH Mech lines. Rhino-One to all elements, break formation and bypass in force. 4TH has our backs. Let’s see if we can get them on the horn. Out!”

“Roger. Nice to see friendlies out here still alive. Two out.”

Kulkarni once again leaned back from his scopes and checked his battlefield management system to confirm unit positions…
Right where they should be... He thought. He then brought his R/T speaker attached to his helmet closer to his mouth before speaking:

“Steel-Central, this is Rhino-One. Approaching FEBA and conducting POL with friendly forces. Rhino is preparing to advance to Point-Victory-2 and Red-MSR. What the latest on enemy armor dispositions between LOD and Point-Victory-2? Over” Kulkarni said, and then saw on his BMS that Colonel Sudarshan had a Nishant RPV overhead even as he had asked for Intel. Hopefully, what he got would be what the controllers for the RPV saw and hence in near real-time. He was going to need a very clear picture of the enemy force before he ordered his force to roll out. The battlefield between his force and the objective was littered with burnt out hulks of dozens of Indian and Chinese vehicles from six days of fighting. It was hard to tell how even the RPV drivers could spot a live tank in defilade position from a dead one in a picture littered with dead vehicles. Besides, the Indian forces weren’t the only ones doing RPV recon of the battlefield. This was going to be a crucial battle and the Chinese knew it. They were probably expecting it.

This is going to get messy…

“Rhino-One, Steel-Central. RPV recon inconclusive: too much visual interference! Intel from the 4TH Mech suggests depleted battalion of T-99s on the frontlines, probably in hull down positions, we confirm at least three moving vehicles in reserve behind the lines and infantry with anti-tank weapons taking up positions opposite your LOD…”

They know we are coming…Kulkarni realized before he spoke: “Roger! Rhino Force is now approaching LOD and awaiting artillery strikes to commence advance to Point-Victory-2. Your call, Steel-Central”

“Rhino-One, orders remain unchanged. Seize Point-Victory-2 and eliminate Red armor at objective. Seize and hold the objective! Steel-Central out!” Colonel Sudarshan’s voice signed off the link, leaving Kulkarni to do only one thing:

“Rhino-One to all Rhino elements: Advance! Advance! Advance!”
bmallick
BRFite

Post by bmallick »

Congratulations Vivek Sir. Wishing you all the very best with the endeavour.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

FORWARD EDGE OF THE BATTLEFIELD
EAST OF DAULAT-BEG-OLDI (DBO)
LADDAKH
DAY 6 + 1810 HRS (LOCAL)

The thunderous roar of ten Arjun main battle tanks amongst the battered remains of the 10TH and 4TH Mechanized Battalions of the Indian Army reverberated through the peaks around Daulat-Beg-Oldi in the dark of the night on the sixth day of the war. Under command of Major Kulkarni, the ten tanks out of the twenty vehicles inside the AO advanced in near unison from the LOD and began traversing the relatively open terrain between them and the Chinese forces…

In the skies above, a Chinese UAV shared the skies with an Indian Nishant RPV, and armored force commanders on both sides prepared for battle, viewing the feed from their eyes in the sky. For the Indian commander, Colonel Sudarshan, there was not much to do other than to nod to a young Captain sitting on the bank of radios inside his command trailer who picked up the R/T speaker and transmitted the “Go” code for AFARP position at Saser where the Pinaka MLRS unit was based, having reloaded and waiting the go-ahead. Within seconds, the skies around Saser filled with dozens of backlit smoke trails as the 214mm rockets streaked into the sky, arced downwards and aimed for the ground around the Chinese positions. The massive fireballs from the cluster munitions drop amongst the Chinese infantry positions waiting to ambush the Indian tanks with missiles was devastating. The smattering of fireballs amongst the rocky gravel of Laddakh did not go unnoticed on the thermal scopes of the Nishant’s EO systems. Colonel Sudarshan watched in silence as the distant rumblings coming from the east confirmed what he was seeing on the screen in front of him. He sighed and once again looked at the Captain waiting with the R/T speaker in his hands:

“Bring them in.” was the calm order from the Colonel, betraying the true nature of what was to follow…

“Oh shit! My whole freaking view just did a white-out, sir!” Kulkarni’s gunner said as he reeled back from the sights. They had just witnessed the impact of the rockets on the horizon in front of their advancing line of tanks. The thermal scopes sorted out the white balls and adjusted coloration to bring the view back under control in a few seconds after which both Kulkarni and his gunner were back at their sights:

“Steel-Central, this is Rhino-One: BDA inconclusive at our end. Too much optical interference! Can you confirm? Over”

“Roger, Rhino-One. Enemy infantry taking heavy fire and currently suppressed. Two ZBDs on fire and one T-99 crew abandoning vehicle: cause unknown! Stand by!”
“Roger that!” Kulkarni said without looking away from his sights.

“Rhino-One, inbound flight of four Jaguars on anti-armor tasking available with LGBs. Redirecting to Point-Victory-2 for armor suppression mission. Ensure friendly armor ID transmitters active. Skies above filled with friendly air units: do not engage! Confirm last message! Over”

“Rhino-Force copies all! Thermal ID beacons active. Line of ten Arjun tanks forward of LOD: do not engage this force! That’s us. All armor units north of this line are viable targets! Over” Kulkarni said, and shared a look with his gunner: it was a scary thought thinking about a laser guided bomb headed down amidst the smoke and dust so close to his location. The artillery was safer in a way: at least they aimed for terrain and location rather than aim. Kulkarni lowered his R/T mouthpiece and peered through his scopes to see a line of fires and debris obstructing his view for the most part. They were now bypassing the last known advance lines of the 10TH Mechanized in the first few days of the war. Beyond was open terrain all the way to the objective. There was no hiding behind cover now…
rohankumaon
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rohankumaon »

Congratulations Vivek Sir! You truly deserve it :)
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

SKIES ABOVE THE BATTLEFIELD
NORTHEAST OF DAULAT-BEG-OLDI (DBO)
LADDAKH
DAY 6 + 1815 HRS (LOCAL)

“Weapons un-caged. Ready to fry!” the pilot said as he checked his instruments and pulled back on the stick to bring the twin-seat Jaguar from the Tuskers Squadron above the peaks and suddenly in view of the massive live battlefield around DBO. This crew, and others like it from three separate squadrons of Jaguars now involved with the battles in Laddakh, had been to this battlefield countless times in the days before. Their aircraft were now stained with black soot and grime from five continuous days of combat flying. The crews themselves had aged quite a bit under the strain of operations and it was beginning to show. The statistics for combat losses for the strike Jaguars in the early days of SEAD missions had caused several losses in all three squadrons. Afterwards, the losses had died away as the Chinese forces in theater lost their aerial protective umbrella under the continuous low-level strike missions. Now, barring the S-300 systems deployed at scattered locations in the Aksai Chin and the Qara-Tagh-La region, the skies were clear for high altitude strike missions in the DBO, Demchok and Pangong-Tso regions. The Indian Air Force could not go beyond the FEBA right now with those S-300s still active, but the FEBA itself was clear of all enemy air forces. The CAF had taken a beating in the skies in the first few days of the war and had now resorted to DCA missions above Tibet, protecting their valuable KJ-2000s and H-6 missile carriers that were now resorting to stand-off missile strikes for the previous two days of the war…

The localized aerial superiority was visible to the pilots of the four twin-seat Tusker Jaguars. As the pilot waited for his Wisso to spin up the weapons and begin target acquisition, a flight of three Mig-29s on OCA tasking cruised a couple thousand feet above the strike formation, guided with airborne intelligence from the A-50I further to the south. The Jaguars had taken off from their forward deployment base at Srinagar AFB and had been waiting for their turn to deploy over the battlefield while other strike aircraft egressed from their low-level missions armed with rockets and napalm. Having tanked off from a waiting IL-78 loitering over Srinagar, the flight of four had now entered the skies above the battlefield:

“Thermal EO active! I have acquisition. Friendly units have lit up their ID markers!” the Wisso said from the back seat as the pilot scanned the skies. He could see the ineffective lines of tracers being fired by the Chinese forces lighting up the sky below him. All of which did not matter at the altitude they were on.

“Thank god for good communications, huh?” the pilot said dryly. There had already been blue-on-blue attacks in this war. In the most egregious case, not twelve hours ago, a Jaguar from the Tuskers had lit up a couple of friendly BMP-2s at the Pangong-Tso shores in a messed up and chaotic situation amidst a running firefight between Indian and Chinese light armor units. These things happen, and everybody accepted it, but it didn’t make it any more acceptable!

“Roger that, sir. Okay: I have an enemy tank with a long barrel in hull down position north of our guys. Suggest we go for a LGB drop!” the WSO said.
“Okay. Weapon transferred and un-caged. Released to local control. Aircraft stabilized. Drop on your go.” The pilot replied in turn. The WSO switched on the targeting laser and had a positive reflection from the metallic turret of the T-99 below.
“Target is lit!”
“Roger.”
“Drop in three…two…one. Drop!”

The aircraft gained a few dozen feet of altitude as soon as the heavy weapon fell off its pylons, causing the pilot to take instant action and the WSO to correct his mark, which had shifted slightly. The pilot looked to his left and right and saw other aircraft releasing weapons as well. Three LGBs were now on the way down with split second delays, followed by a ten second delay on the fourth…

“Steady on the marker!” the pilot cautioned his WSO.
“I have it! Steady and holding. Impact in three…two…one...”

The thermal EO screen washed with white coloration as a split second later, following by an inverted black cone of mud and soot that flew upwards from the impact point. The targeted tank was destroyed. A second later the second and third balls of smoke and fire rose into the night skies. There was no explosion from the fourth bomb, having malfunctioned during its release from the parent aircraft.

“That’s a splash on target!” the WSO exclaimed.
“Roger. BDA?”

“Boss, I dropped that thing right through the commander’s hatch or something down there. If that tank is still alive, feel free to change my name!”
“Point taken!” the pilot said with a chuckle: “Okay, find me a new target. We still have another one to drop.”
“Okay. Beginning acquisition…”

“Eagle-Eye-One to all elements in TAC-One. We have yet another inbound flight of J-10s on possible OCA tasking headed to the AO. Suggest all ground-tasked elements to egress immediately. Will advise as situation develops. Out” The brief R/T burst message from the Phalcon AWACS to the south was enough to cause the Jaguar pilots to begin scanning the skies around them, even though there was no immediate danger. Nevertheless, the pilots saw the three Mig-29s above them dropping their external tanks and lighting up afterburners as they went for their kills. The skies were getting dangerous once again…

“You heard the radar boys, buddy. Find me a target or we are bugging the heck out of here in thirty seconds. I am not waiting around to see who wins that fight between our Fulcrums and their Juliet-tenners!” the pilot said urgently.

“Hold on, boss! I can find a target here. Our boys need us to take out these targets before their assault. Give me fifteen seconds over here!” the WSO replied back.

“Roger. Fifteen and counting before we are RTB to the south. Make it count!” the pilot said, and lowered his helmet mounted NVGs to peer at the silent greenish view of the skies to the north over Tibet, hoping to see what the Fulcrum drivers were up against. He spotted three small flashes of light departing from the backlit lights of the Fulcrums, showing release of long range air-to-air missiles. As the missiles headed north, the fulcrums lit up the sky and broke their line-abreast formation while dropping chaff and flares…

Oh shit! This is not good… the pilot of the Jaguar strike formation thought to himself as he checked his watch to see about those remaining seconds…
Last edited by vivek_ahuja on 14 Dec 2011 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

RHINO FORCE POSITIONS
SOUTH OF POINT-VICTORY-2
LADDAKH
DAY 6 + 1820 HRS (LOCAL)

As the floor of the tank shuddered under the shockwave from the massive explosions amidst the Chinese lines caused by the guided bombs dropped from the Air Force strike aircraft in the skies above, Kulkarni smiled as he watched the show from his sights. But he had other things to take care of already, and couldn’t really absorb the full fun of the punishment being meted out to the Chinese forces opposite him…

“Rhino-One to all Rhino elements: engage all visible targets! You are weapons free! Let them have it!”

Six of the ten Arjun tanks under his command had acquired targets despite the smoke and fires inside the Chinese positions. The line of tanks lit up as their main guns fired, followed by the rattling sounds of machinegun fire as each tank went into autonomous killing mode. This terrain was not meant for anything larger than small unit maneuvers, which meant that it was a slugfest. Whichever target presented itself to any tank under Kulkarni’s command would be engaged, destroyed or trampled over under the massive mass of the Arjun tank.

The Chinese forces facing Kulkarni were already reeling from the incessant artillery and precision high altitude air-strikes by the Indian Air Force aircraft. Their commanders had been screaming for some air cover and General Chen at Kashgar had surged forward several flights of J-10s to run interference and cause the Indian aircraft to abort their strike packages. On the ground however, Colonel Sudarshan’s plan called for no lull in between the airstrikes and the advance of Rhino Force tanks so that the Chinese units could not regain their defensive composure. Blitzkrieg at its finest…

The Chinese infantry in the two hillocks bracketing the valley that cut into their MSR along a north-south axis had taken heavy losses. Their positions were still covered in clouds of smoke and dust caused by the Pinaka strikes. Those that had not been killed outright were still reeling from the thunderous shockwaves that had ripped through their bodies in a matter of seconds, burying dozens in their man made foxholes and others with blood pouring from their ears and optics and weapons covered with gravel and dust. Between their two hillocks sat the Chinese armor units defending the entrance to their MSR. This position was designated as Point-Victory-2 for the Rhino Force Arjun tanks, and as the Chinese infantry commander on the western hillock watched after recovering his NVG systems, he could see a line of ten Arjun tanks rolling down the valley, their turrets rotating left and right as they engaged what remained of his positions.

His first response was to call his armored force commander, but that thought died away as he saw pillars of fire amidst the dozen or so T-99s available to him. The ZBDs were doing no better. Several of them were moving past the burning chassis of the vehicles ahead of them to get a clear line of sight and engage the Indian tanks. But to no avail. The Arjuns outgunned and outmatched the optics of any Chinese vehicle in front of them. They were picking out and eliminating any Chinese vehicle that managed to pull past the wreckage around them even before that said crew could see who was shooting at them. Several Chinese T-99s did manage to fire off their main guns once the Arjuns got closer, but the massively superior armor of the Indian tanks prevented catastrophic damage on the vehicles. Two Arjun tanks came to a stop after being hit by Chinese T-99s. One had its turret blow-off panels fly off under a fireball that directed the impact energy away from the crew compartment. Three of the crew of that tank piled outside the tank as its engine compartment caught fire. In return, other Arjun tanks simultaneously fired at the two Chinese T-99s that began to retreat from their hull-down positions and sent fireballs flying underneath their turrets, destroying each tank in catastrophic explosions. There were no survivors in either tank. No chance.

As the horrified Chinese commander realized what was happening, he picked up the radio and changed unit frequencies to forward a warning order to the rear-echelon units and his reserve ZBD force. The latter force began to mobilize seconds after the call came through. By that time, however, the eight Arjuns were bypassing the destroyed Chinese Armor battalion and entering the area occupied by a massive Chinese convoys of trucks and supply convoys. The 43RD Armored had broken into the Chinese Division’s very vulnerable rear areas, cutting off the Chinese forces facing Brigadier Adesara’s units from the rear. As each Arjun tank began firing streams of tracer rounds into the soft skinned vehicles and ammo-filled trucks, the Chinese soldiers began abandoning their vehicles and began running in all directions. Some attempted to fire rocket propelled grenades at the Arjun tanks, which shrugged off the attacks on its Kanchan composite armor plates. In turn, they responded by cutting down the offenders with bursts of gunfire. As Major Kulkarni’s Rhino Force reached the other side of the valley, they were surrounded by dozens of burning trucks and fires coming from light armor units. The Chinese logistical train feeding the ground offensive against Daulat-Beg-Oldi had been destroyed…

“Rhino-One to Steel-Command: Objective achieved. Point-Victory-2 has been taken. Chinese DIV-MSR has been destroyed. Bring up the 4TH and the Infantry to hold this position.

43RD Armored is advancing eastwards and is in tactical pursuit of retreating Chinese forces. Rhino-One out!”
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

Whoo!!
Reds get their collective armored a$$es walloped :D :D
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

viktor
BRFite -Trainee

Post by viktor »

Really awesome Vivek bhai. Eagerly waiting for new developments.
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

vivek_ahuja wrote:I am not waiting around to see who wins that fight between our Fulcrums and their Juliet-tenners!
:mrgreen: Priceless saar! :twisted:
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Yippeee.. The Arjun kicks chinese T99's mushraff solidly.. I would buy this book just for the Arjun's combat depiction.. Awesome awesome..
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Vivek, once its all up and running make sure we put stuff on the BR FB page as well.

We need to get this out there as much as we can.

I cant wait to get myself a few copies.
Virendra
BRFite

Post by Virendra »

vivek_ahuja wrote:Gentlemen,
I have some good news: I have taken the last few days to finalize my dealings with a self-publishing firm for releasing my novel in paperback format. I expect to have a link for the book in the next two weeks and it should be on Amazon in the next four.
Congratulations Vivek. Wishing your book an instant success !!
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

vivek_ahuja wrote:
His first response was to call his armored force commander, but that thought died away as he saw pillars of fire amidst the dozen or so T-99s available to him. The ZBDs were doing no better. Several of them were moving past the burning chassis of the vehicles ahead of them to get a clear line of sight and engage the Indian tanks. But to no avail. The Arjuns outgunned and outmatched the optics of any Chinese vehicle in front of them. They were picking out and eliminating any Chinese vehicle that managed to pull past the wreckage around them even before that said crew could see who was shooting at them. Several Chinese T-99s did manage to fire off their main guns once the Arjuns got closer, but the massively superior armor of the Indian tanks prevented catastrophic damage on the vehicles. Two Arjun tanks came to a stop after being hit by Chinese T-99s. One had its turret blow-off panels fly off under a fireball that directed the impact energy away from the crew compartment. Three of the crew of that tank piled outside the tank as its engine compartment caught fire. In return, other Arjun tanks simultaneously fired at the two Chinese T-99s that began to retreat from their hull-down positions and sent fireballs flying underneath their turrets, destroying each tank in catastrophic explosions. There were no survivors in either tank. No chance.
The Power of Arjun 8)
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

just one question, why ten tanks, why not a full sqn given that 43rd hadn't suffered any losses yet.

secondly, won't the pakis get uppity and try to tie down some formations ? ;)
Sandipan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sandipan »

vivek_ahuja wrote:

The Power of Arjun
Only Concern is that recently the Bhopal based Corps Commander conducting Op. Sudarshan Shakti said that they are really waiting for Arjun Mk2 which implies that Arjun MK1 is really not upto expectations :((