Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XIII

Suresh S
BRFite

Re: Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XIII

Post by Suresh S »

got the book vivek. For anything good in life there has to be a medical connection.
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

All these indian publishers giving you a hard time is a good sign vivek . This book will sell more than you anticipated. This is expected reaction from these people and some unseen hands from some govt people. keep trying to publish this book in india without any change in content. stick to your guns . You can not write something to fall in party line like a commy country.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

vivek_ahuja wrote: What do you guys think?

-Vivek
Vivek, in India, the heart of making a book sell is to place it in bookstores. (Even e-purchases are not quite there yet) -- is it possible for you to team with bookshops themselves and directly position your books?

You can target high end chains and position books directly published in US and imported as is. I see a lot of those books, so I dont think that would be a problem.

There are some chains, and there are some high profile bookshops. Maybe they can directly act as importer -- re distributors, why publish here at all (I know costs but I dont think its a big deal for first iteration) ?
member_20645
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_20645 »

Dear Vivek,

I received my copy from Amazon on Friday and by last night had finished reading it. It still was a gripping thriller though I knew the outcome based on your posts on BRF.

I shall write up a review for Amazon by next weekend.

There still are some minor typos that I can send to you, if you can send me your email address.

The bottom line is that its a terrific book; please do not budge an inch if the "reviewer" in India comes back with some changes. I suspect that there will be enough readers outside India who will buy it

I strongly believe that as an author you have veto rights and if the publishing houses in Delhi are not playing ball lets use the brain power of the BRFites and the social media to outflank them
Good luck and thanks for a great book
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

This one month review is hardly surprising considering the quality and quantity of babooze in the establishment. One month is too long a wait.
BTW, i have bought only 6-7 books in the last 2 years from a book store. Rest have all been through Flipkart, Homeshop18 and a few others. If you can get it self-published, Indian readers can buy it online too. Pothi.com is one option.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

So I did finally get a reply from HarperCollins. Here's the excerpt:
... I have now had a chance to read the book and discuss it with my colleagues, and unfortunately we will have to decline :( . I think it’s great in terms of its military and technical content – and it will really appeal to that kind of audience – but as a novel, the narrative is not engaging enough :shock: . You should probably try to write non-fiction, it might have more appeal.
Sorry not to have better news.
Best,
So there you have it. This is what one of the big-six publishers have to say about the novel. And you all have read the scenario and some of you have even read the book. Please tell me if I should go in for what the editors at HCI say and start going into non-fiction books. :roll:

I guess they thought the book was closer to a simulation than it was to a novel.

In any case, time for Plan B.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

you should probably have thrown in a sikular JNU jholawalli journalist on a cambridge fellowship who falls in love with Pathanya and fosters a aman-ki-tamasha with the chinese bhutan commander....that would improve the human relations part.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Singha wrote:you should probably have thrown in a sikular JNU jholawalli journalist on a cambridge fellowship who falls in love with Pathanya and fosters a aman-ki-tamasha with the chinese bhutan commander....that would improve the human relations part.
That's what I was thinking as well! :mrgreen:

I was really stumped by the whole "narrative" bit on their email. I thought I had that bit covered, at least.

Maybe they have other reasons for not picking up the book. They won't be the first one either. Others are calling it "controversial" as well.

Point is, a British guy can write a novel about Indian cities getting nuked and our defense minister at the time time praises the book as "highly plausible" despite its crappy nature while an Indian guy runs complex simulations to play out a fictional war and the publishers are running like chicken with their head cut off under its "controversy"

Highly disappointing.
Last edited by vivek_ahuja on 27 Feb 2013 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

vivek_ahuja wrote: Highly disappointing.
Welcome to the real world, as opposed to the simulated one.

:P
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Sanku wrote:
vivek_ahuja wrote: Highly disappointing.
Welcome to the real world, as opposed to the simulated one.

:P
:(( :((

Fair enough. I guess this jolt was long time due, eh?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

think of the +ve - atleast you didnt clobber the pakis...else you would be hounded as a saffron terrorist and internet hindu warmonger.

I think times have changed and these old sikular publishing houses are going to suffer a not so good fate. try to get it into ebook format and let word of mouth give you publicity. setup a facebook page also where we can join in and "share" it among 1000s.

there is a lot of novels being published by indian authors these days, but about the content and quality , nothing better than their anglo-saxon role models.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Singha wrote:there is a lot of novels being published by indian authors these days, but about the content and quality , nothing better than their anglo-saxon role models.
I agree. Perhaps I should have used a pen name to submit the draft: "Steve Smith" :rotfl:

But that pretty much seals the fate for this book's publication in India: i have one last card up my sleeve and I intend to use that to go out with guns blazing! :)

One last publisher's response is awaited this week. Else I am going the eBook route and the self publishing route. It won't be as glamorous, but if the sales of Chimera in the US and Europe are any indicators, it should be effective.

-Vivek
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Also, I will create the Facebook page this weekend so that the eBook is out and then next week get the self publishing stuff sorted out.

No other options at this point. :evil:

-Vivek
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Singha,

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe the Prime-Minister in the novel was uncomfortably close to our current dodo-head and they saw his face in the scenes. Maybe that's why the novel is really controversial! :rotfl:

Thank god for small mercies I didn't take on the Pakis in the draft! I think you are correct in your assessment on how THAT would have gone down! :mrgreen:

-Vivek
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

vivek_ahuja wrote: I was really stumped by the whole "narrative" bit on their email. I thought I had that bit covered, at least.

Maybe they have other reasons for not picking up the book. They won't be the first one either. Others are calling it "controversial" as well.

Point is, a British guy can write a novel about Indian cities getting nuked and our defense minister at the time time praises the book as "highly plausible" despite its crappy nature while an Indian guy runs complex simulations to play out a fictional war and the publishers are running like chicken with their head cut off under its "controversy"

Highly disappointing.
"Narrative", seriously!!! ... :mrgreen:
Did you point those bozos to the forum and point out how people were literally begging you post-after-post and tempers were flaring over the actions of fictitious characters!!!

"Controversial" ... Sigh!!!
You can only take the horse to the pond!!!

Forget them, Vivek. I sincerely hope you get your returns from the US+Europe sales.

--Ashish

PS: Got my copy. Put in my review. Thanks again for an amazing read ... :)
Last edited by Misraji on 27 Feb 2013 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

I have shared the amazon link to the book on my FB page with a recommendation.
If everybody does the same, that would be fairly effective.

--Ashish
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

vivek_ahuja wrote:
No other options at this point. :evil:

-Vivek
How about direct import and placement? Did you try that?
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Well I got my copy today. Yet to see it as I am out of station for a week. Delivery to India was prompt. Actually courier called me to ask where to deliver it since house was locked. Hoe to read it next week .
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Misraji wrote:I have shared the amazon link to the book on my FB page with a recommendation.
If everybody does the same, that would be fairly effective.

--Ashish
Well I have done the same. But not much online followers for me.
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

vivek_ahuja wrote: Point is, a British guy can write a novel about Indian cities getting nuked and our defense minister at the time time praises the book as "highly plausible" despite its crappy nature while an Indian guy runs complex simulations to play out a fictional war and the publishers are running like chicken with their head cut off under its "controversy"
Probably you should add the ingredients which cater to their expected lines - like sex or some anti-indian views - I bet you will get the required coverage on the lines of slum-dog! :twisted:
*sarcastic hat-off*
rudradeep
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rudradeep »

I placed my order on Feb 17 and it was delivered promptly yesterday on the 26th in India. Started reading it and even though I had read through the entire scenario here in BRF, it had me glued to it the whole night. Finally finished it now (yes, took the day off work 8) ) and my hats off to you sir. The book is even better than what I had read here.

I have dropped my review at Amazon and will link the Amazon page to my FB page...
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

chaanakya wrote: Well I have done the same. But not much online followers for me.
We do what we can. Military nut-jobs like us are hard to follow .... :)

--Ashish
MurthyG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by MurthyG »

Just got the book now Vivek Ji. Will put in a review this weekend. Thank you for all the effort in writing the book. The cover books looks really good in print. Have been reading all you scenarios in earnest and will try to finish this ASAP.
Thank you again.
member_24770
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_24770 »

Vivek you can see that this is my 2nd post, actually the 12th, but could not get my password reinstated on my old account, sent requests etc. But, apply, apply, no reply. However I digress.

Am interested in you publishing additional scenarios here and in book form. Have read into page 200+ and it is an engrossing read. Would I buy another book written by you, absolutely.

However, let me also say, the book is in need of a good editor. You graduated from Auburn, as my wife did. War Eagle! She makes me do that from time to time :wink:. The language department there should be able to help or perhaps you already have one. Just my $0.02.

Keep going, will keep reading.
Ghatotkacha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ghatotkacha »

Hi Vivek,
I am just back to this thread, didn't get chance to go through all the discussion above.

Congratulations on book release on amazon.
Though, I have read the scenario here, but I will still buy it and recommend to others to support your hard-work.
Question, is it going to release for Kindle too soon? If yes, then I will wait a bit, otherwise, I will buy the paper version itself.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Ghatotkacha wrote:Though, I have read the scenario here, but I will still buy it and recommend to others to support your hard-work.
Question, is it going to release for Kindle too soon? If yes, then I will wait a bit, otherwise, I will buy the paper version itself.
I appreciate it saar. I am looking to release the Kindle version soon (read: next week or so) after I have made some formatting changes etc. I would recommend the paper version but content-wise, both should be similar.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

RRKR wrote:There still are some minor typos that I can send to you, if you can send me your email address.
Drop me an email at vivek_ahuja123 at yahoo dot com

And I appreciate the feedback!

-Vivek
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

sanjayg wrote:However, let me also say, the book is in need of a good editor. You graduated from Auburn, as my wife did. War Eagle! She makes me do that from time to time :wink:. The language department there should be able to help or perhaps you already have one. Just my $0.02.
Yup. I am getting it edited now. Once done, will release second edition online. This one will have other material in the appendix section based on reader feedback that I have received so far.
member_24793
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_24793 »

Vivekji, I have run out of patience waiting for the Indian edition to be released (), and hence, I have placed an order on Amazon. They say it will be delivered in 2 weeks time. Once I finish reading, I will surely post my review.

I also wish you all the best in getting this published desh-side, but I am an impatient guy (what to do?). Jai Hind
rohanldsouza
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rohanldsouza »

Hi Vivek,

Considering that Google has announced Google Play for Books in India you could publish via this medium. http://googleindia.blogspot.in/2013/02/ ... india.html

Your book could be excellent Case for more books out electronically. Also there would NOT be the waiting time for delivery from the US as mentioned above.

Am sure a lot of members on 'bharat-rakshak.com' would be on the Android platform. :)

Jai Hind.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

asbchakri
BRFite

Post by asbchakri »

Just got my book today. Will read it soon. The book looks great. Excellent work Vivek :D :D
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Finished reading up to page 45 last night, the night I got the book. I honestly didn't think I had it in me to read 45 pages of anything at a stretch.

Chimera feels real. It almost hurts to see the other side going about their "work" in the Tibetan valley with no overt help from the Indian side.

Vivek ji, thank you for your healthy disdain for the Indian PM :mrgreen:

After reading your plans here for the 2nd edition, which would do justice to the great work that the book already is, do you think it might be a good idea to have some retired IAF personnel read the book and share their reviews with you? With some positive reviews, photo ops and some quotable quotes - you would've given BRFites enough fodder to go viral on Facebook, Twitter, etc.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

How about we BRFites start our own publishing house, each one puts in 25,000/- or 50,000/- rs. Someone knowledgeable like SwamyG can be CEO or MD. We can start publishing Vivek, Dileep, Sanku, Shankar, Jamwal & Guru Dron's scenarios/stories etc.
kapilrdave
BRFite

Post by kapilrdave »

vivek_ahuja wrote:So I did finally get a reply from HarperCollins. Here's the excerpt:
... I have now had a chance to read the book and discuss it with my colleagues, and unfortunately we will have to decline :( . I think it’s great in terms of its military and technical content – and it will really appeal to that kind of audience – but as a novel, the narrative is not engaging enough :shock: . You should probably try to write non-fiction, it might have more appeal.
Best,
So there you have it. This is what one of the big-six publishers have to say about the novel. And you all have read the scenario and some of you have even read the book. Please tell me if I should go in for what the editors at HCI say and start going into non-fiction books. :roll:

I guess they thought the book was closer to a simulation than it was to a novel.

He expected the book to feel like a SRK movie :lol:
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

vivek_ahuja wrote:So I did finally get a reply from HarperCollins. Here's the excerpt:
Best,

@vivek_ahuja, some motivation :wink: -> I was rejected by 20 publishers: Writer Amish Tripathi

-Ankit
Vishal_ag
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vishal_ag »

After lurking on this site for 3-4 years - this is my first post. I have been an avid follower of Vivek's scenarios and today I got my hands on the book :D

I ordered it through Amazon on around 28th of Feb and got it delivered within 7 days!!!

I will write my review on the Amazon site ASAP.

Cheers!!

Forgot to add - I got it delivered in India
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Vivek Saar, is there any provision for a signed copy of the book?
member_24793
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_24793 »

BRF-ite Trainee calling Author Actual... Received the 'sweets' from Uncle Sam yesterday. Will post review after the commies have been dealt with. Jai Hind. Over and Out.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

So the Indian Express has come out with a review of Chimera:

Chimera Review
Chimera by Vivek Ahuja is a work of fiction, about India and China going to war for a second time after India’s debacle in 1962. Ahuja approaches the work like a game of chess one plays with oneself: China makes a certain move, using military assets, to which India counters using its own capabilities. Here the author is making the moves for both forces. The author has deep knowledge of the battlefield in India as well as across the border in China. He is also well versed with the military assets and technologies available for use with both sides. The narrative in the novel plays out in the form of measure and counter measures initiated and responded to by the two powers, and the reader vicariously goes into numerous Indian and Chinese military units right from Indian Special Forces units operating across the border in Tibet to units operating the supersonic Brahmos cruise missile to the planning of the war by top generals in war rooms in China and many more. Throughout, the author emphasises that 1962 cannot re occur, considering the level of preparation on the Indian side. He is especially astute in his analysis of both the countries' air forces, though the respective air forces never went to war in 1962.

In 1962 Nehru had wept like a girl when China invaded, in an All India Radio address, saying that the North East was lost; he had refused to use the Air Force fearing China’s response would be much worse than it already was, if things were allowed to escalate. But in the authors assessment, as he shows through the novel, in any future wars between the two powers, the Air Force is key in staving off the Chinese and allowing the Indian Armed Forces breathing space first and later dominance in the theatre comprising Bhutan, Ladakh, Aksai Chin and Tibet. The author highlights what the Chinese strategy may be if war were an outcome: the Chinese would use a network of potent surface- to- air missiles to ensure Indian fighters are unable to operate over Tibet and they would destroy Indian air bases and other military assets with pre emptive missile strikes so that Indian aircraft are rendered worthless. However, India’s superiority with regard to fighters is evident in the novel as it is in real life as the Indian Air Force possesses a vast array of aircrafts from many sources while the Chinese are dependent on Russian technology and indigenous technologies: India operates French Mirages; Russian Sukhois and Migs as well as British Jaguars.

Though the author’s assessment of the respective countries military capabilities is perceptive, the likely scenario of India and China going to war over the Tibet issue is slim. In the novel, the Dalai Lama dies a natural death leaving behind a political vacuum. In Tibet self immolations intensify, as does an insurgency supported by India. China then pre empts a war to teach India a lesson for its interference in Tibet. An insurgency in Tibet can be dealt with by the Chinese military juggernaut within Tibet itself, as it harrowingly happened in 1959 when the Dalai Lama escaped to India, and it hence seems implausible that the Communist leadership which has recently transitioned would risk nuclear war for the same. The Tibetans have appointed a new political leader, in the academician Lobsang Sangay, and although the Dalai Lama’s death would be a great loss it seems highly unlikely that it would create the same sort of instability that would become a full blown insurgency as Ahuja envisages in the novel.

The author is biased towards the efficiency of Indian forces. For those still licking their wounds at India’s humiliating loss at China’s hands and the loss of national pride made worse by Nehru, the book is catharsis. Ahuja amply highlights the interference by the Communist Politburo into the PLA which affects its war fighting capabilities. But, he fails to factor in the same with regards to Indian forces, where political interference is also a big issue affecting the Armed Forces morale and fighting prowess. The defence scams plaguing the country, and the lavish materialism of many officers and their nexus with the politicos are worrisome as they have a direct impact on the efficiency of the forces, but Ahuja ignores the same.

The book is all war: military units like an armoured formation or an AWACS aircraft are shown in action with their crews but Ahuja largely ignores the human face of war. :shock: :?: Destruction takes place on a grand scale but the human element is lacking. Bad things happen and the soldiers put up a display of psychological invincibility. The scarring and futility of war, if it were captured, would have made this novel have greater depth and range.
I found the overall review neutral to the point that its saying the work is more battlefield simulation than thriller. Also says there is lack of self flagellation on the Indian high-command side unlike the CMC, similar to how 1962 went down, for example. Note that this is beyond what was already there in the novel regarding the PM. Reviewer wanted much more of that on the Indian side.

Anyhow, everyone has their own opinion I guess.

-Vivek