Religion Thread 2

Abhijit
BRFite

Post by Abhijit »

Rakesh:
Scenario 1 - If you came up to me and asked me, "Hey Rakesh, you know I don't believe in Jesus Christ and salvation. That stuff makes no sense to me. Will I still go to heaven?" Now for me to look you in the eye and tell you yes, will be me going against the Word of God. So neither are you going to heaven and more importantly, neither am I. Because I knew what the truth was and I lied to you. Now it is up to you to accept it or reject it. I cannot force you to believe ANYTHING. Not because I can't, but I don't have that ability. I am not God and I can't play God, like the Evanjehadists do. On a personal (one-on-one) level, Scenario 1 is pretty straightforward. But not so, in Scenario 2.

Scenario 2 - If you took me to a temple and asked me, "Hey Rakesh, you see these 500 people in here all worshipping Vishnu. Do you think they are all going to hell?" My answer is I don't know. Now I am not avoiding your question or trying to be diplomatic. But just as I explained above, that I am not God...I cannot in good conscience tell you where they are going. Only God knows where those 500 people are going to land up. I can't comment on salvation with a large group of people. To even say that those 500 people are all going to heaven/hell would be akin to me having the foreknowledge of God, which is something I don't have.
Rakesh, these two scenarios are self-contradictory (if I understand you correctly). In scene1 you are claiming that a paerson who doesn't believe in Jesus and salvation will not go to heaven based on the bible. In scene 2 you claim inability to draw the same conclusion for 500 people who are in the same condition. So there seems to be a contradiction there.
When Bible claims that the salvation is only through Jesus Christ unfortunately the EJ's and most of the Christians take it literally. I think they should pay more attention to Luke 6:46
Rakesh, I believe the spirit of the bible claims that heaven and salvation is available to those who live by the spirit of bible not to the 'biblical inerrancy' crowd. Again, pl. refer to Luke 6:46
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

BTW, where is Johann? How come he is MIA on this heavy-duty topic? :?:
Kumar
BRFite

Post by Kumar »

Calvin wrote:It doesn't appear that we are able to get past the "torn shirt open fly" stage.

Please note that the temples that I pointed out are among the most visible temples in the dharmic tradition. These places would be on par with Mecca, St. Peters in Rome, Westminster Abbey in London etc.

The argument that these places are "private" is not quite tenable. A "public space" is generally defined as a place that is open to the public whether or not on payment of money.

The argument that churches restrict access to non-dharmic peoples on the basis of the fear of destruction may have some merit, but in the context of restrictions on the basis of caste, one wonders if this is an post-facto justification.

At the end of the day, the only reason to bring up this particular aspect of the religious practice was to highlight the differences between the discourse among (evidently) highly learned individuals and the reality experienced by the majority of the practitioners. How is this different from the Islamist dualism in regard to the meaning of "jihad"?
Calvin,

Regarding restrictions on entering of non-hindus into some hindu temples, there have been so far 3 arguments which I paraphrase below:
  • (i) Temples are literally the private houses of the deity. And management worries whether allowing non-hindus who do not have respect for the deity into the sanctum sanctorum is a sacrilege or not.

(ii) Past bitter history of destructions and loot of temples by non-hindus has created a persistent phobia regarding non-hindus getting into some of these large temples.

(iii) Temples are private property and it is upto the owners to decide who gets to enter and put restrictions on non-hindus, certain castes, women etc.
First two are quite valid, the last one is most shaky.

In hinduism, most respected scriptures are caste and gender neutral. In Bhagavad Gita krishna says clearly that he is present as the innermost Self in every person , and any humble offering, of a leaf, fruit or merely water, when offered by a devotee, he gladly accepts. He also says that people may worship in various ways and to various deities but all that worship ends up reaching him since he is the heart of all existence. Vedas have no caste or gender issues at all. People bring up the Purusha-Sukta of Rgveda where shudras were called the feet of the universal-being (the Purusha). There is strong evidence that during vedic times, castes were purely varna based and not jati based, i.e. a person's lifestyle and work determined his varna not his family of birth. Varnas could be changed too as Rishi vishwamitra changed from kshatriya to brahmana. Upanishads, which being the source of all hindu philosophy have perhaps the biggest admirers amongst the intellectually oriented mamebers on this forum, do not discuss rituals and worship in the usual sense, and have no issues regarding caste and gender.

In this light if a temple management discriminates against a person based simply on caste and gender, then that is not supported by the highest hindu scriptures. But many temples did and some still do. There has been a lot of movement within hindu society in rectifying the situation and there has been gradual but steady improvement in the situation.

But do the practices of some temples in restricting caste based entry reflect or reflected on the hindu society and religion at large? I have to say that they reflect on the Indian society in general, but not specifically and entirely on the religion. Manusmriti, which is blamed for many of the caste practices, is not a scripture, it a book of laws amongst many such books written by many sages. Manusmriti is not the word of the divine. Manusmriti has a much inferior position than the shruti (veda-upanishad) and bhagavad-gita .

To justify this, I point out that many hindu saints and sages were born in lower castes but were revered by all nonetheless. One of the stringent requirements of the dashanami monk system started by Adi Shankaracharya is that after a person takes the sanyasa (monkhood) vows, his past life including his caste become completely immaterial. And hindu society all through the ages has practiced this. A sanyasi or sage is given all respect due to him/her irrespective of what caste he/she was born into.

Couple of present day examples. Mata Amritanandamayi was born in a fisherman caste, and had very little formal education. But since she was recognised as a god-realized soul, today she is literally worshipped by millions of hindus as Devi herself. A large number of monks in her order, were born in the so called upper castes with a preponderance of brahmins. Another example is Baba Ramdev. He was born in the yadava caste. But today his millions of followers belong to all possible castes.

Caste divisions have been a reflection of the hindu society not of the religion itself. If it were a reflection on the religion, then hindus who convert to Islam and Christianity should be out of it the moment they convert. But that is not the case. Converted muslims and christians continue their caste identities into their new religions. So pinning anomalies of caste discrimination in some temples, squarely on hindu religion is not really valid.
Last edited by Kumar on 20 Mar 2007 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

rocky wrote: The latest UN development report for child infants reports that the number of infants up for adoption in Christian countries like Russia, USA, and South American countries itself is huge. Russia has at any given time about 300,000 babies up for adoption.

Contrast this with Islamic countries like Indonesia which have about 3000 babies up for adoption at any given point in time.
That may be because reporting mechanisms in Russia et. al. might be much better than Indonesia. Confounding factors lead to bad analysis.
Yet almost all the major "give poor infant children an opportunity" types flock to countries like Indonesia. Because this is where soul harvesting can be done. What's the point in harvesting souls in a Christian country like Russia?
If we follow the money everything becomes apparent. The moving picture poor naked malnutritioned bloated stomach kid standing besides open gutter, trying to pick dried mucus from his/her nose makes much more pitiful picture than relatives healthy kid in downtrodden ghettos in developed countries. The probability to use those pics of distant disprevileged to fraud gullible people is much more compared known disprevileged. So fraudsters flock to least cost high efficient options.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Kumar wrote:
Caste divisions have been a reflection of the Indian society not of the Dharma per se. If it were a reflection on the Dharma, then hindus who convert to Islam and Christianity should be out of it the moment they convert. But that is not the case. Converted muslims and christians continue their caste identities into their new religions. So pinning anomalies of caste discrimination in some temples, squarely on Dharma is not really valid.
This is psy ops argument adopted by the sociologist during the last 30 years and then taken up the EJs and dalit movement sponsered by the EJs. The argument is carefully made and put in such a way to show that Hindus/Dharma have deep flaws.
Now they do not mention that there is no temple in NA which is older than 100 years and modern era colonialism started with missionary expansion. Hindus were shunned from entering many countries of the west till recently.
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

Acharya wrote: In Indian civilization they are shocked to discover the most extensive literature and deep human thought exploring all aspect of human development over millenium. This does not connect with the visual and practices of the society and their hatred and disgust comes across openly.
Archarya,

We have ourselves to blame for that confusion:
  • We (Hindus) have done a piss poor job at marketing our strengths.
  • We allow challenges from half-baked EJs unanswered.
  • We have not initiated a inter-religious dialog to advertise our point of view
Finally, we have not studied the EJ methodology carefully to plan a challenge - Intellectually. This failure has lead to the rise of Hindu fanatics who will engage the EJs in desperation with violence and that make us look as barbaric and guilty as charged. The silent Hindu majority, that belives in peace and coexistance with others who have different beliefs, should speak. Yet, they are steeped in ritual and "whose father what goes" mentality.

The future world is one based on knowledge. It is time to free the Vedic wisdom from its shackles and allow people to choose the "red pill."

We all have a choice and we can find out how deep the rabbit hole is!
Thank God for that ;-)
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

rocky wrote:What Rakesh is saying goes against the basic human decency of treating everybody equal. When there is a known bias in a Christian believer against everybody non-Christian, the basic human decency and principle of equality goes out of the window.

This is religious racism.
Not really. Equality is a principle that is hardly ever perfectly achieved in practice. We all do an 'us vs. them' at a subconscious level. As long as it does not get out of hand in the form of discrimination in jobs etc. it is fine.

We all have biases. Some of us believe that those who eat meat will go to hell. Yet vegetarians and non-vegetarians work fine together in offices all over India. One's belief, as long as it is not pushed on others, can be accommodated in a democratic, multicultural society.
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

SaiK wrote: This rig vedic verse hits the nail right in the heads... This one verse gives shot in the arm! agnostic-ations eh~.
Absolutely, I would actually add, that the Vedic seers would be disappointed if we just took what they wrote as final wisdom and never went and discovered anything new about the Universe. The Vedas in my mind are incomplete, we are adding to it as we discover new ideas, gods, technologies, etc. They just gave us the mindset to be scientific, to seek knowledge (gnana) and not be afraid of the vastness and seek shelter in false beliefs.

An aside: Some day I hope to find the time to fix some of the translations of these suktas. For example:

svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Pulikeshi wrote:
Finally, we have not studied the EJ methodology carefully to plan a challenge - Intellectually. This failure has lead to the rise of Hindu fanatics who will engage the EJs in desperation with violence and that make us look as barbaric and guilty as charged.
This is correct. There is no intellectual movement large enough to study what is happening in the home of the EJs. I have seen EJs pictures of India Plans in US in 1993. Those who are studying it are branded as fundamentalists with a psy war. The entire thought process is under the control of EJs and their paid media.
Intellectual discussion about foriegn funded EJs and EJ social engineering is totally absent in the Indian public discourse. Even here in BRF this is was ignored.

The silent Hindu majority, that believes in peace and coexistance with others who have different beliefs, should speak.

The reason I have analyzed is that the elite and educated class of Indians born after 1940 have been modernized with a secular education implanted stealthily by the West inside India. An entire generation in India has remained away from intellectual discussion of the dharmic topics due modern economy and psy ops media indoctrination. They have not built a India view point of the world or an India world view when the world was getting integrated in the last 50 years. Indian centric study of the world is still low and even in the universities.

We have ourselves to blame for that confusion:

* We (Hindus) have done a piss poor job at marketing our strengths.

* We allow challenges from half-baked EJs unanswered.

* We have not initiated a inter-religious dialog to advertise our point of view
The previous para gives the explanation for this question
S.Valkan
BRFite

Post by S.Valkan »

Pulikeshi wrote:
  • We (Hindus) have done a piss poor job at marketing our strengths.
  • We allow challenges from half-baked EJs unanswered.
  • We have not initiated a inter-religious dialog to advertise our point of view
Until fairly recently ( last three decades ), Hindus were busy trying to reconstruct a nation of 100s of millions from the nadir of deprivation, and there was a desperate need to get all the help one could get.

Marketing "religious strength" or engaging in hot-air "interfaith dialogue" was not a priority then, nor even considered useful.

And challenging the missionaries ( evanjihadis are a more recent phenomenon ) who were doing an excellent job of providing education and medical care to the poor at very little expense to the government of India was not even an option.

As an anecdote, even in the 1890s Swami Vivekananda saw the zeal of the American churches as a wonderful means to bring more humanitarian aid and charity to what was then a destitute British colony.

Now that India is a booming economy, the contended Hindu elite can think of these peripheral issues gnawing at Hinduism, and Hindus in general.

The realization that there was this unavoidable phase lag, which the missionaries, evanjihadis and Salafis exploited to the hilt, is at the root of all the vented frustration.
The future world is one based on knowledge. It is time to free the Vedic wisdom from its shackles and allow people to choose the "red pill."
Nothing is to be set free.

As one can see from events in the West, there is a gradual shift towards Vedic wisdom among people who are no longer constrained by the shackles of faith or pure penury.

The attractiveness of Hinduism(including Buddhism) lies in this magnetic power of its vast Vedic wisdom repertoire - from intellectual dialectics to the most sublime devotional sentiments and all shades of physical and mental disciplines in between.

The more you understand Hinduism, the more you like it.

The evanjihadis know that are fighting a losing battle in their hometurf. So they seek to prey on the poor and the gullible.
Kumar
BRFite

Post by Kumar »

The value of the "nasadiya-sukta" of Rgveda is not so much in uncovering the philosophical truths. But in laying down a foundation for philosophical "doubt" within the most reverd hindu scripture itself. It provided a large leeway for hindu philosophers to delve into philosophical pursuits without any fear of being accused of being anti-Veda. The philosophical musings in the sukta are not held that important by most philosophers, but that is not what is truly remarkable about this sukta.

There is another line in rgveda which shows that vedics valued realization more than the word of the Veda itself:

"yas-tanna veda kim-richa karishyati"
If one doesn't realise THAT, then what would (mere chanting of) verses of the veda do for him
Richo Akshare Parame Vyoman Yasmin Deva Adhi Vishwe Nishedhu
Yastanna Veda Kim Richa Karishyati Ya It Tad Vidus Ta Ime Samasate.'
Everything including the Gods is located within that Immutable.
If one doesn't realise that truth, then what would verses of the veda do for him. And when one does realize that, one becomes one with that
Last edited by Kumar on 21 Mar 2007 00:07, edited 2 times in total.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

But in laying down a foundation for philosophical "doubt" within the most reverd hindu scripture itself. It provided a large leeway for hindu philosophers to delve into philosophical pursuits without any fear of being accused of being anti-Veda. The philosophical musings in the sukta are not held that important by most philosophers, but that is not what is truly remarkable about this sukta.

That is a most valuable commentary.
HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

rocky wrote:
What Rakesh is saying goes against the basic human decency of treating everybody equal. When there is a known bias in a Christian believer against everybody non-Christian, the basic human decency and principle of equality goes out of the window.

This is religious racism.
ages ago, there as a clash between the shaivates and vaishnavaites (my god is bigger thanyours) - wasnt that 'religous racism'?

inspite of all the greatness of hinduism, If I let my (imaginary) servant who (probably) comes from Schedule caste sit on the same table as mine and eat out of the same plate as mine, or sit in the same religous ceremony as i am in, i will get half a dozen rockets from everyone concerned - parents, spouse, my family priests etc for years to come. isnt that racism?

We come from a place where we would rather marry someone from a different religion (i.e marry a christian) than marry someone from the SC / ST community.

The truth is , all religions have flaws and faults. its upto us to live with them. merely pointing out ' your religion sucks' when there are bigger warts on ours is an injustice.
HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

If hindu society encourages evils like casteism, why isnt it a fault of the religion itself? why are we seperating society from religion?3

By the same thread, EJism can be blamed on western society rather than religion - would you want to do that?
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

HariC wrote: inspite of all the greatness of hinduism, If I let my (imaginary) servant who (probably) comes from Schedule caste sit on the same table as mine and eat out of the same plate as mine, or sit in the same religous ceremony as i am in, i will get half a dozen rockets from everyone concerned - parents, spouse, my family priests etc for years to come. isnt that racism?

We come from a place where we would rather marry someone from a different religion (i.e marry a christian) than marry someone from the SC / ST community.
Should one not read the above as a commentary of your social conduct (maybe due to constraints of your immediate social circle), rather than being a reflection on Hinduism?
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

Wilberforce and the Dalits
New MovieComing Out
S.Valkan
BRFite

Post by S.Valkan »

HariC wrote:If hindu society encourages evils like casteism, why isnt it a fault of the religion itself? why are we seperating society from religion?3
That's simply because "evils" like casteism don't appear in Hindu scriptures.
By the same thread, EJism can be blamed on western society rather than religion - would you want to do that?
Abraham breaks idols to prove a point.

Yahweh warns Moses in Ten Commandments not to make graven images or assign partners to the biblical god, or face the retributive torment of hell for 4 or 5 generations by a 'jealous' god of the Bible.

Noah says anyone can go to heaven if they don't do idol worship.

And Jesus emphatically declares that he has come not to destroy, but to fulfill the laws of the Old Testament.

How can we separate EJ-ism from standard Christian tradition ? :twisted:
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

TSJones wrote:Wilberforce and the Dalits
New MovieComing Out
Did Wilberforce have anything to say on caste discrimination and Dalits? Yes, he spoke on the caste system and untouchability in the British Parliament 200 years ago and described caste discrimination against Dalits as akin to slavery. Speaking on the caste system, he said, ‘The institution of caste is a system at war with truth and nature’.
Did he say anything about the colonial subjugation of all Indians by the British?
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

HariC wrote: ages ago, there as a clash between the shaivates and vaishnavaites (my god is bigger thanyours) - wasnt that 'religous racism'?
Are there religious clashes to the extent of bloodbaths between shaivites and vaishnavites now? Otherwise you have set up a strawman. Think catholic protestant, think Ireland, think Portuegese inquisition against Marthomas christians in india, and then you'll be talking..
inspite of all the greatness of hinduism, If I let my (imaginary) servant who (probably) comes from Schedule caste sit on the same table as mine and eat out of the same plate as mine, or sit in the same religous ceremony as i am in, i will get half a dozen rockets from everyone concerned - parents, spouse, my family priests etc for years to come. isnt that racism?
That speaks more about your circle of acquaintances and your assumptions regarding their behaviour (who knows they might surprise you yet!) rather than hinduism itself..
Again, a problem with your community / group etc..what will you do if the person is a SC/ST Christian?
The truth is , all religions have flaws and faults. its upto us to live with them. merely pointing out ' your religion sucks' when there are bigger warts on ours is an injustice.
This is silly...its a mere example of since my shirt is torn I cant register my objection at a guy who walks around waving his schlong in front of me...intended to offend me..

Its a typical debating tactic which has been rubbished a long time back..
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Acharya wrote:
TSJones wrote:Wilberforce and the Dalits
New MovieComing Out
Did Wilberforce have anything to say on caste discrimination and Dalits? Yes, he spoke on the caste system and untouchability in the British Parliament 200 years ago and described caste discrimination against Dalits as akin to slavery. Speaking on the caste system, he said, ‘The institution of caste is a system at war with truth and nature’.
Did he say anything about the colonial subjugation of all Indians by the British?
Why would TSJs herrow do any such thing? Repent upper caste heathen, you'll burn in hell. Eeeyup. All you chankian heathen hindoo Agni making idol worshippers. :roll: :lol:
Kumar
BRFite

Post by Kumar »

HariC wrote:If hindu society encourages evils like casteism, why isnt it a fault of the religion itself? why are we seperating society from religion?3

Hari,

We normally mix up many kinds of Dharma into one. When we talk about hindu-religion we should use the term "Sanatana Dharma" or the "Eternal Laws". These rules/laws/truths are held to be true for ever. Veda-Upanishad, Gita etc fall into this category. Then there is Yuga-Dharma (i.e. Dharma pertaining to a certain epoch of time) Manusmriti, which is usually implicated in casteism has no such status as veda-upanishad and Gita. It is not word of God or revealed as vedas and Gita are. It is opinion of a particular sage. Laws in Manusmriti do not form part of the "Sanatana-Dharma" but are part of the "Yuga-Dharma". Going against injunctions in Manusmriti is not fatal to hinduism, i.e. the Sanatana Dharma.

Yuga Dharma changes with the epoch. In the present age, the constitution of India has taken over the job of policing the Yuga-Dharma from the Manusmriti.

This is what I had argued regarding why the ills of casteism are not a reflection on religion, i.e. Sanatana-Dharma per se. But on society which has its epochal laws/rules as reflected in Manusmriti.

In contrast, Evanjihadis openly base all their claims on the religion itself and specifcally on some literal interpretations of biblical verses, and bible is claimed as the word of god, a revealation.

If you think differently, then please argue your way out why and how evanjihadism is not a reflection on religion but only on society. This may actually be afruitful avenue to discuss. So I am all eager to hear yours or others' viewpoints.
Last edited by Kumar on 21 Mar 2007 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
Sadler
BRFite

Post by Sadler »

Rakesh: thank you for the well considered reply. I appreciate you talking the time to pen your thoughts. Shalom.
Sadler
BRFite

Post by Sadler »

Kakkaji: Many a mask have slipped on this thread. Hope you and others have taken the time to monitor some of my exchanges.
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

Kakkaji, very aptly put!
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Very pleased that the thread has been civil at the personal level.

Pulikeshi,

I think you have come the closest to hitting the nail on the head.

Valkan,

Absolutely right - there's only a limited number of people within India who are receptive to the evangelical's conversion efforts, and those numbers are shrinking.

Rakesh,

While the behaviour of the medieval Portuguese and Spanish has more in common with the Muslim Arabs and Berbers who conquered them, I am not so sure that the modern evangelists methods are so different from those described in the new testament.

Most of the evangelical tries to copy the Jesus routine - calling to them the sick, the shunned and weary, preaching their message and trying to perform miracles. While condemning the existing religious setup as being filled with uncompassionate hypocrites.

They also imitate Paul with his fire and brimstone talk - God's punishment for the wicked (and just about everything is wicked), the need for Christians to accept they will suffer for their beliefs from the majority, etc.

And finally the evangelicals are obsessed with Revelations with its apocalyptic imagery - the antichrist, a *final* battle, the day of resurrection, judgement, etc

The gospels are fine, but I distrust those branches of evangelical Christianity that draw heavily grounded in Paul's epistles or worse yet, revelations.

Kakkaji,

This is a week that sadly does not leave much time for any thread on BRF.

I liked your point that the integration of marginal groups in India will probably proceed faster than the integration of inner city blacks.

That will probably turn out to be true.

However three points:
- a plurality of the black American population are not in the ghetto, and are in fact highly likely to belong to an evangelist church.
- evangelical types are highly active in the ghettos.
- black American missionaries tend to concentrate on Africa.
Last edited by Johann on 21 Mar 2007 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Sadler, since Gandhi was a Gita reading Hindu, he would not care for lowly place like heaven. Him in heaven will be beneath his dignity. :)

IF EJs are selling permanent heaven, they are going to be in big shock as Hindus , matter of fact all the dharmic traditons of India, reject heaven as a ultimate goal.
Sadler
BRFite

Post by Sadler »

Rakesh wrote:
Is Einstein in heaven, if he did not believe in Jesus Christ? NO

Is Gandhi in heaven, if he did not believe in Jesus Christ? NO

I am sorry, but am I missing something here. You just said above that "Einstein is not in heaven SIMPLY because he did not believe in JC" Ditto for Gandhi.

And then you follow up with:
Rakesh wrote:............So how can Evanjehadists tell you that Hindus are all going to hell? That concept makes no sense! They are lying to you!
Did i miss something??
Kumar
BRFite

Post by Kumar »

I have heard all kinds of chants from vedas, gita, stotras even upanishads during religious ceremonies.

Has anyone heard Manusmriti being chanted ever! :roll:

Hindus are clear on what they revere.
mandrake
BRFite

Post by mandrake »

Pulikeshi wrote:
SaiK wrote: This rig vedic verse hits the nail right in the heads... This one verse gives shot in the arm! agnostic-ations eh~.
Absolutely, I would actually add, that the Vedic seers would be disappointed if we just took what they wrote as final wisdom and never went and discovered anything new about the Universe. The Vedas in my mind are incomplete, we are adding to it as we discover new ideas, gods, technologies, etc. They just gave us the mindset to be scientific, to seek knowledge (gnana) and not be afraid of the vastness and seek shelter in false beliefs.

An aside: Some day I hope to find the time to fix some of the translations of these suktas. For example:

Dharmavir
BRFite -Trainee

re

Post by Dharmavir »

ages ago, there as a clash between the shaivates and vaishnavaites (my god is bigger thanyours) - wasnt that 'religous racism'?
I am a new entrant here, can you give us some historical info on these clashes?

Assuming that there were clashes, were they in any way comparable to clashes between Catholics and Protestants in the 30 year war or the current clashes between Shias and Sunnis (I mean were they as destructive and frequent)?

I think other posters have dealt with the rest of your points.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Kumar wrote:I have heard all kinds of chants from vedas, gita, stotras even upanishads during religious ceremonies.

Has anyone heard Manusmriti being chanted ever! :roll:

Hindus are clear on what they revere.
LOL,Manusmriti get chanted by EJ/Jihadis every day , with every breath . No need for Hindus to do so becuase 99.99 % are not aware of its existence .
Kumar
BRFite

Post by Kumar »

:rotfl:
Sadler
BRFite

Post by Sadler »

S.Valkan wrote:

Abraham breaks idols to prove a point.

Yahweh warns Moses in Ten Commandments not to make graven images or assign partners to the biblical god, or face the retributive torment of hell for 4 or 5 generations by a 'jealous' god of the Bible.

Noah says anyone can go to heaven if they don't do idol worship.
Absolutely correct. In practise, we (Jews) have taken these strictures to be applicable to Jews only. In other words, if i a Jew were to worship an idol, i am certainly joining TSJ someplace hot, and it aint Texas if you catch my drift.

On the other hand, jews do not extrapolate these strictures to other religions.
Dharmavir
BRFite -Trainee

re

Post by Dharmavir »

I was browsing through the previous thread and came across this from one of the mods:
I'm not surprised that you don't - but I don't see Hindus led by the likes of Sita Ram Goel and his laughable Tejo Mahalaya going anywhere either and the "progress" made by Hindus with such leadership makes me think - "Go anywhere but this route".

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... &start=200
As far as I know Goel never proposed nor endorsed any such theory, this theory was proposed by some person named P.N Oak.

Any references to show that Goel said that Taj Mahal is Tejo Mahalaya?
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Sanju wrote:
Arun_S wrote: OK I will check out some more. BTW bought those from Mumbai's bazaar.

I have the Krause publication for the wold coins for the 1901-2000. If you are interested in looking at coins in that era let me know.
Yes please. Send me an email at arun_S1971 at gmail dot com
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Looks like Manusmriti is a poorly peer-reviewed publication from that era :lol: and hence the ideas in there died a natural death.
HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

JCage wrote:[

Are there religious clashes to the extent of bloodbaths between shaivites and vaishnavites now? Otherwise you have set up a strawman. Think catholic protestant, think Ireland, think Portuegese inquisition against Marthomas christians in india, and then you'll be talking..
Have their been any bloodbaths instigated by Christians against Hindus?

I have seen people kill each other in UP and bihar based on caste - people cutting off other peoples hands because someone married into their caste.. But hey, we blame society and not religion.

When the same disaffected lower caste guy changes his religion to get out of it, we blame the other reigion and not our society or religion! like it or not, a significant percentage of conversions are attracted to X-tianity because it promises them some kind of liberation from the SC/ST/Untouchable labels.

That speaks more about your circle of acquaintances and your assumptions regarding their behaviour (who knows they might surprise you yet!) rather than hinduism itself..
Dude, i dont know your background (other than you are netsavvy and sitting in US), but please note that the net savvy, NRI / RI crowd who frequent this board (or any other board) form less than half percent of India's population and maybe even more. Your noble ideals does not make or represent the rest of rural and urban india's.

Come to UP, Come to MP, go to the villages and you will see how deep routed caste system is. This entire arguement of - "society is different from religion, hinduism is not to blame for casteism" is a fallacy. And oh yes, my circle of acquaintances will be no different from yours if you go back a generation and examine them in detail. .
This is silly...its a mere example of since my shirt is torn I cant register my objection at a guy who walks around waving his schlong in front of me...intended to offend me..
The original context - someone objecting to rakesh's belief - get that right. you are twisting my words

At the sametime you are equating a christian's non-belief in other religions to a man waving around his schlong in front of you?. To each his own.
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

Arun_S wrote:Yes please. Send me an email at arun_S1971 at gmail dot com
Done!
Dharmavir
BRFite -Trainee

re

Post by Dharmavir »

Have their been any bloodbaths instigated by Christians against Hindus?
Ever heard of the Goan Inquisition?
HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

S.Valkan wrote:
That's simply because "evils" like casteism don't appear in Hindu scriptures.
Valkan,

so whose fault is it? Why does this system of caste exist only with hinduism? Why cant one member of one caste 'change' into a higher one etc?

In other religions, people can change their branches - but why is Hinduism or our Indian society so rigid to bind people in the caste they are born in?

What if an SC person wants to become a brahmin? Will hinduism allow it today?