Renewable Sources of Energy

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
joe.marcus
BRFite -Trainee

Renewable Sources of Energy

Post by joe.marcus »

There was a thread earlier in the Technology and Economy forum on alternative energy. I had posted couple of posts in which I had put in specific data based on personal experience. After this, the whole thread has disappeared and I cannot even trace my postings. Is there a rational explanation for this?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: alternative energy thread

Post by ramana »

Joe, I looked in the Trash can archive and all the pages of the Tech Forum. I dot see it. Maybe it was deleted?
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Re: Alternative Energy

Post by brihaspati »

Wanted to know, whether, "dye-based" solar panels are planned to be introduced/or at research/trial level, in India?
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Re: Alternative Energy

Post by Gerard »

Solar Plan Could Revolutionize India's Energy Sector
A leaked early version of the Indian Government's national solar energy plan indicates that India may be thinking more ambitiously about a "clean energy" roadmap than was previously anticipated.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Re: Renewable Sources of Energy

Post by Gerard »

The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) is the nodal Ministry of the Government of India for all matters relating to new and renewable energy. The broad aim of the Ministry is to develop and deploy new and renewable energy for supplementing the energy requirements of the country.

http://mnes.nic.in/
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

Nuclear power is flexible and can be used to produce superior quality synthetic gasoline and jet fuel using carbon dioxide sucked right out of the atmosphere. Nuclear power can even be used to produce synthetic fertilizers, which currently require large amounts of natural gas to create. :shock:
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Scientists Would Turn Greenhouse Gas Into Gasoline
If two scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory are correct, people will still be driving gasoline-powered cars 50 years from now, churning out heat-trapping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere — and yet that carbon dioxide will not contribute to global warming.
The idea is simple. Air would be blown over a liquid solution of potassium carbonate, which would absorb the carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide would then be extracted and subjected to chemical reactions that would turn it into fuel: methanol, gasoline or jet fuel.
providing the energy to produce gasoline on a commercial scale — say, 750,000 gallons a day — would require a dedicated power plant, preferably a nuclear one, the scientists say.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Fertilizer
Although natural gas is most often used for the production of ammonia, a high temperature gas-cooled reactor — coupled with a hydrogen source as the Next Generation Nuclear Plant (NGNP) project is proposing — can be used for the production of ammonia suitable for fertilizers.
samuel
BRFite

Post by samuel »

One of my most avid interests is to develop a general-aviation scale aircraft that flies in perpetuity, almost. So, here is a thought that you can comment on.

100sq-m total solar real estate with 25m wing aspect ratio of ~15
1x 6KW regenerative fuel cell ~85KG
31%@AM0 solar cells with loading of 84mg/cm^2 ~85KG ~18KW (~180KWH/day)
Hydrogen storage 10m^3 and tanks for O2 5m^3 and water. ~300KG
(~5Hrs sustained flight at 6KW -- 30KWH/day)
Convective Updraft traps - flutter panels - ~1KW (~6KWH/DAY)
Regenerative power on descent ~1KW (5KWH/day)

Typical flight profile is to rise via convective plumes and available power (~12KW over 5hrs) head north under the sun at the edge of the tropopause for (10hrs), recharging hydrogen FC. Descend over 6hrs turning south; resume level flight and repeat in 3 hrs.

Normal power for cruise is 6KW. Climb 12KW. Fast climb with all available power 18KW.
12KW at top will be available to recharge, at approx 6WH/ m^3 of Hydrogen charging.

Airframe gross weight remains relatively constant < 800KG. The airframe is a push-pull prop with a canard.

Don't want to use LiPoly -- they don't tell a good sustainability story.
When EEStor comes through, the entire hydrogen part can be replaced with a single 52KWH ultracap bank.

So, what do you think, possible?

S
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

What happened to a snippet on the Hydrogen Energy Cycle i had posted? :cry:
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

KiranM wrote:What happened to a snippet on the Hydrogen Energy Cycle i had posted? :cry:
unfortunately the whole thread has disappeared ! :(
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Question for the gurus:

If we have to electrify a house that has AC, four electric geisers, two fridges and many lights, fans, couple of TVs how much of real estate is requred for solar panels. Any idea of how much it costs in India. This has to be via betteries as there could be rain and clouds sometimes.

TIA
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

Muppalla wrote:Question for the gurus:

If we have to electrify a house that has AC, four electric geisers, two fridges and many lights, fans, couple of TVs how much of real estate is requred for solar panels. Any idea of how much it costs in India. This has to be via betteries as there could be rain and clouds sometimes.

TIA

My colegue is working for the largest solar panel manufacturar. The issue is not the area but the cost and non availability during night.

The cost is approx 2000 usd per panel. 1 meter x2 meters. and produce some 270kw. To run a small small AC of 1,5 ton would require 6 panels and cost a whopping 12000 dollars (Rs 5,5 lacks). If you start to calculate the investment cost, it turns out to be a bit over twice the cost of conventunal energy sources.

But in future the hope is to embed the cells in building material and create economies of scale.

But so far, Solar energy is not an option to solve the Indian energy supply.
Nirantar
BRFite

Post by Nirantar »

Please help with your knowledge.

In my village home, my family is contemplating of installing solar panels for sustainable source of power. Basically I am curious to know:-
1. For a medium household(headcount 6-15) with area(265 sqr yard) and daily usage is around 8-15 units( Kilo Watt), is such a solution is feasible even?
2. What are the approx costs and is it worth in long run?
3. Are there tested and professional vendors with such expertise in /around Haryana?
4. If you could direct me to some online links or other source of information.

thanks
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Nirantar wrote:Please help with your knowledge.

In my village home, my family is contemplating of installing solar panels for sustainable source of power. Basically I am curious to know:-
1. For a medium household(headcount 6-15) with area(265 sqr yard) and daily usage is around 8-15 units( Kilo Watt), is such a solution is feasible even?
2. What are the approx costs and is it worth in long run?
3. Are there tested and professional vendors with such expertise in /around Haryana?
4. If you could direct me to some online links or other source of information.

thanks
Information for similar approach is what I am looking for. I requested quotes from atleast four vendors. No one has come back with a quote.
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Post by Ravi Karumanchiri »

Hello BRF members interested in renewable energy,

Please allow me to call your attention to the enormous potential of “Space Based Solar Power”, which is already being discussed in the establishment corridors of America and India, among many other nations. Please follow this link for an article entitled “Should India and the US cooperate on space solar power?” written by Taylor Dinerman, on Monday, June 8, 2009.

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1389/1

The article discusses the potential for a working relationship that would implement the kind of system envisaged by the recent feasibility study published by the US National Space Society. Follow this link to find this very interesting study, entitled “Space-Based Solar Power As an Opportunity for Strategic Security”

http://www.nss.org/settlement/ssp/library/nsso.htm

Here is an excerpt from the Executive Summary of this NSS study:

The basic idea is very straightforward: place very large solar arrays into continuously and intensely sunlit Earth orbit (1,366 watts/m2), collect gigawatts of electrical energy, electromagnetically beam it to Earth, and receive it on the surface for use either as baseload power via direct connection to the existing electrical grid, conversion into manufactured synthetic hydrocarbon fuels, or as low-intensity broadcast power beamed directly to consumers. A single kilometer-wide band of geosynchronous earth orbit experiences enough solar flux in one year to nearly equal the amount of energy contained within all known recoverable conventional oil reserves on Earth today. This amount of energy indicates that there is enormous potential for energy security, economic development, improved environmental stewardship, advancement of general space faring, and overall national security for those nations who construct and possess a SBSP capability.

QUESTIONS FOR YOU, DEAR BRF MEMBER............

1. What do you think is the potential for "Space Based Solar Power" to meet the energy needs of India?
2. Have you seen this discussed in the Indian press/media? (If so, please provide links or outline discussions.)
3. Who seems 'on board' with this idea? (Politicians, academics, business people -- kindly provide names.)

Thanks,
RK
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Many many years ago, I was taken to a BITM, where they had programmes for enthusiastic young people to get lab facilities to be "creative". Among many ideas I had, I had proposed using space based reflectors and converters (into tight microwave beams) to bring solar energy on the "nightside" as an idea. I was roundly laughed at and ridiculed by the senior scientists present there. One of the cutting comments I still remember is that I should think of writing sci-fi novels rather think of a science career. "Science is based on hard facts - and not flighst of fancy". Even more telling, "even the great scientists in the western countries with their labs and expertise have never thought of such hare-brained schemes".

This was one deciding factor in my not opting for an enegineering or physics career.

I am a tad bit sceptic of the immediate feasibility as well as desirability of the "space-power" programme. My concerns are as follows :

(1) I have not seen the specs on loss rates/dissipation rates while the tight beam travels through the various atmospheric belts. Each of them have different electromagnetic and electrochemical properties. At the level sof intensity the beams have to be to be of any use, what are the effects on atmosphere?

(2) The most convenient spots will be geostationary orbits, and not many slots will be free. Polar ones will also not be free and for optimal use, multi-country agreements have to made and infrastructure to receive have to be setup.

Indian scientists shoudl think of their own settings, the peculiarities - and advantages of those which are much more efficiently and quickly realizable now. The space solar reflector/collector/converter idea is good and should be kept for future exploration. But there are are lot more potential to use around on the ground - which can seem fantastic but still not that far out!

Our exceptionally long coastline into a tropical ocean is not used. Given Indian expertise already in offshore rigs, why not think of reflector solar farms offshore (or use dye-based flexible reflectors on the sea-surface itself). Even the inland space is not properly used yet - and most likely to come up against severe political uprisings about "loss of land and livelihood and environmental damage" even if it is in the middle of the desert.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

I read about this company that is working on delivering wireless electricity. It seems like it would be very useful for installing residential solar and wind power across larger distances.

http://www.witricity.com/
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Dear brihaspati,

It saddens me to hear how you were discouraged from pursuing your idea at BITM. It is a shame you did not go in for that engineering or physics career you were considering – the world may have been a better place, by now, than it otherwise is today.

(1) I am not an expert qualified to answer any technical questions on SBSP, by any means; but, it would seem to me that there are inherent efficiencies achieved when energy from the sun is converted into microwaves using space-based photovoltaic (PV) arrays that beam the power to the earth. Consider that PVs on the ground receive sunlight only during the day time, almost never from an optimal angle, and also that the sunlight is filtered through the atmosphere, which greatly diminishes the energy delivered to the earth’s surface. Consider also that the efficiency of terrestrial PVs is diminished when they heat-up, or get dirty with (desert) sand or (offshore) salt deposits. Furthermore, since electricity is often needed far away from the ocean or the desert, you would also incur transmission losses to wire the power to point-of-use. Compare this to space-based PV arrays, which can receive sunlight continuously, and from an optimal angle if they are positioned properly and can move appropriately, and which can receive full-strength sunlight, in a space environment (vacuum) which would allow much greater heat-dumping efficiency, so thermally-caused efficiency losses would be lesser, while there are no worries about keeping surfaces clean. The trick, it would seem, is finding the correct microwave frequency/amplitude to penetrate the atmosphere and incur minimal losses while doing so. Certainly, such losses would be less than with natural sunlight. Whatever such transmission losses do occur, could reasonably be expected to cause heating of the atmosphere or RF ‘bleed’, it would seem to me – but as I’ve noted above, I am not an expert qualified to even wonder about such things, let alone guess or assess. It is too bad that neither of us has an engineering or physics degree!

(2) As I understand it, the idea would be to place these PV arrays in geosynchronous orbit, some place where they will never fall under the earth’s shadow – so likely beyond the polar planes of the earth. Otherwise, they could be placed so far-off, in such a ‘high’ orbit, that any shade they do receive would be very brief. There is also the possibility that primary rectifying antenna arrays would also be placed in orbit, to collect microwave power transmissions from a constellation of PV arrays even farther away, so they can then be directed to earthbound antennas on a single beam. From what little I know, I think these energy beams would hold-up quite well when travelling through the vacuum of space, so distance would not be such a big factor. [*If an esteemed BRF member knowledgeable in such things could comment further, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!*]

[OT Side note to young people and thinkers and dreamers of all ages -- *You owe it to the world to prove the nay-sayers wrong!*]

[OT Side note to nay-sayers everywhere -- *Even when someone is barking up the wrong tree, sometimes they grab a branch bearing fruit!*]
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Monday, December 28, 2009
Black Market for Solar Panels
Solar-panel theft is rampant in California, and this could drive up the cost even more.
If this can be a problem in California, then you can imagine what a huge problem it would become in India, if solar homes take off there.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Cheaper, Stronger Lithium-Ion Batteries for Electric Vehicles

A British company is testing new chemistry that could boost the performance of batteries.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Microscopic Flecks of Silicon Could Act as Very Efficient Solar Cells

Consider the multiple benefits of this technology. It uses much less silicon material than conventional silicon solar cells. The tiny flecks could be sprinkled/coated all over some flexible material, even while having much higher efficiency than the much sought-after organic solar materials. Each fleck could be coupled with its own microlens to concentrate the light going into it (all that needs to be done is to embed the fleck inside a tiny clear bead). Vast quantities of solar cells could be manufactured at much lower cost.
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

$400 Million MOU Signed by Canasia Power in Mumbai During Ontario Clean Tech Mission

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Dec. 22, 2009) -

Canasia Power Corp., a Canadian, Toronto-based power project developer, participated in the recent
"Clean Tech Mission to India" led by the Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty and the Minister
of Economic Development and Trade Sandra Pupatello. During the Mission Canasia signed a Memorandum
of Understanding in Mumbai with Chem Process Systems Pvt. Ltd., an Ahmedabad, India-based Company,
to design, supply and commission 100MW of solar energy systems to provide electric power to the
Company's proprietary technology for desalination, condensing and water treatment plants.

Both Companies are working on designing and implementing a pilot project to be commissioned by April
2010 for review by the Government of the State of Gujarat. The Canasia management team was augmented
by its Board of Directors, Mr. Don Phillips, Mr. Elden Wittmier, Mr. Kirit Desai, and Dr. Tawfik
Al-Kusayer, who are strongly endorsing Canasia's active participation in India's renewable energy
sector with particular focus on solar energy.

Source: http://www.theenergynews.com/news/artic ... &ftptype=1
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Iceland offers clean energy technology to India

By: THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
14/01/2010 8:18 AM

NEW DELHI - Iceland's president offered Thursday to give India clean energy technology to help it move away from its dependence on coal and oil to generate electricity.

President Olafur R. Grimsson also invited Indian businesses to invest in his country and set up joint ventures...

Grimsson... said that 100 per cent of Iceland's electricity and space heating now comes from clean energy.

"One of the great opportunities for co-operation is that we can bring our geothermal and hydro expertise to India," he said.
Grimsson is scheduled to visit Bangalore, India's information-technology hub, on Friday.

Source: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/greenp ... 87032.html
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

India on the Solar & Climate Change Move

Written by Zachary Shahan
Published on January 14th, 2010

India has been a bit of a wild card on climate change and clean tech issues. Like China (but not to the same extent), India made the Copenhagen climate negotiations more of a challenge, reluctant to commit to internationally binding targets and international transparency... finally committed to cutting their carbon intensity 20-25% by 2020.
Now, we are actually seeing India steam forward. Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, following Copenhagen, said, “There is no escaping the truth that the nations of the world have to move to a low-greenhouse-gas-emissions and energy-efficient-development path.” He said that India “must not lag behind” in low-carbon technologies.
Read the whole article at http://cleantechnica.com/2010/01/14/ind ... ange-move/
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

The India Solar Market: How Big and How Soon?

Shayle Kann 01 14 10

In India, solar project and policy announcements are piling up, but predicting market growth can be tricky.

Depending on who you talk to, India will either be the next major solar market or it will never get off the ground. The underlying conditions are sound; India has high insolation throughout its territory and an energy deficit of 10 to 15 percent, leaving over 450 million people without access to electricity. Coupled with frequent blackouts in cities and a need to rapidly scale up electricity production in rural areas, India looks like an attractive market for solar. Indeed, India's solar potential has been looking up over the past three months, as a flurry of solar-related announcements has emerged. But each one has arrived with caveats from developers, financiers and analysts.

The first, and most important, announcement came in November 2009, when India announced its Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (NSM), a comprehensive, $19 billion plan with a goal to reach 20 gigawatts of installed solar capacity by 2020. The program was confirmed last week with an official announcement from Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh...
Read the whole article at http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/ ... -how-soon/
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

Pioneering UK and India solar research revealed
http://www.ukinvest.gov.uk/OurWorld/4054296/en-GB.html

Minister urges researchers to come up with cheaper means to store solar energy
http://beta.thehindu.com/sci-tech/energ ... 107182.ece

Sustainability is not a compliance issue, but an opportunity
http://beta.thehindu.com/business/Indus ... 106931.ece
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

IBM Claims Low-Cost Solar Cell Breakthrough
http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/ibm-c ... rough-3400
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

Which companies are involved in the solar sector in India? I am interested in looking at their balance sheets.
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

Here is a list of solar companies in India
http://www.solarbuzz.com/CompanyListings/India.htm

Protectionism in India has had some side effects. The high price, less quality and absence of competition among the solar companies in supplying cells are the result of such protectionism.

TATA is reasonable one. http://www.indiabuildinginfo.com/virtua ... /index.htm

But the prices are so high that a middle class man cannot think of setting this up on his house top for electricity. But ofcourse in some other areas such as solar water heater the prices were fine.
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

Renewable Energy Policy Analysis in Asia - a new market research
http://www.live-pr.com/en/renewable-ene ... 405776.htm

Renewables can ensure energy security
15 Feb 2010, 0619 hrs IST, G M Pillai,
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/art ... 574599.cms