Indian IT Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian IT Industry

Post by Lalmohan »

quality is dropping and costs are increasing. and a lot of the guys i see are very 'precious' - i.e. 'company owes me << long list of things >> before i will even consider getting out of bed in the morning'

hungry wolves in poland, ukraine, vietnam are running behind the lumbering buffalo
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Eastern Europeans and Latin Americans don't have our numbers. As much as cost, another main reason why Indian companies do well is because we're very flexible when it comes to staffing. We're capable of staffing big numbers pretty quickly. So in that sense we have the numbers and a head start in terms of understanding the offshoring model. However they're capable of eating into the 'higher value' pie that Indian companies are trying desperately to capture. Some of the Ukrainian, Hungarian and Romanian programmers on a client team in Europe (offshore team) were very good. The flip side to the number game is is that productivity levels in Indian companies are low. As of now people don't seem to care. That's the weak spot IMO.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

i think that due to the rapid growth and rapidly increasing salaries and perks, a lot of the new wave are quite complacent and don't understand that others are willing to eat their lunch

the first generation of desis who came out on IT-vity were smarter, leaner, hungrier...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I agree. our existence was far more precarious. the first order of priority of new college hires these days is getting a iphone/ipad/galaxyS and a bike and maximising their facebook time. they also like to hang out a lot in training classes and drinking coffee with fellow new college hires. they are experts at flying below the radar...give them some work and they will disappear for 2 days instead of finishing in 3 hours and coming back to ask for more! and then after 2 days they will come back to report ran into some problem and need help.

some are very chaalu this way, some are very diffident..too diffident for their own good.

a desi who relocated to my office was astonished at the number of young people in the hallways and break areas drinking coffee at all hours!
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

indian firms have yet to break into the "thought leadership" strata as far as western customers are concerned, they still see indian firms as a cost play. if the new wave continue down their current track, the cost play will not be viable for much longer. there is no automatic entry for being indian and speaking english. lots of people speak good english these days, and have good technical education.

i am not sure that the 'best'/most able boys are girls are doing IT leadership jobs these days
Sriman
BRFite

Post by Sriman »

Lalmohan wrote:i am not sure that the 'best'/most able boys are girls are doing IT leadership jobs these days
Lalmohanji, the issue i see from the trenches is that a lot of middle managers simply don't understand the importance of engineering well enough. There is this group think (recruitment philosophy is also to be blamed for this) that you need average programmers to fill up the numbers and then a few technically proficient folks to keep the projects ticking. And as margins get squeezed these people become fewer and fewer. And you cannot approach projects like that. And there is an unhealthy emphasis on operational processes and metrics over solid software engineering. Things like performance engineering have to be factored in from ground up and not as an after thought. And companies often end up losing money on projects because they have to bring in good people later to fix the mess that wouldn't have been caused in the first place if they had a few more good people to begin with.

There is absolutely no emphasis on training people constantly. In my company testers and business analysts are much more likely to rise to middle management faster. With due respect, not many of them understand the challenges of running an IT project from an engg POV. They're almost always good operationally, but that's not good enough beyond a level. So technically good people get disillusioned after a while and head to some product company. The way i see it, every manager is just heads down trying to meet the crazy numbers, there is not enough time to build teams and manage careers. I could write reams. :mrgreen:

PS: I'm talking from a service company POV.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

it will vary by company - those doing SAP/Siebel implementations will go for throwing dumb bodies at the problem, no software engineering necessary, but project management disciplines definitely are. those trained in software (or other engineering) have a better understanding of lifecycle, trade-offs, prioritisation, delivery, etc.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

National Employability Report ---- PDF
IT Product Sector: The employability in the IT product sector is exceptionally low, to the order of 2.68%. This is because jobs in IT product companies require a strong understanding of computer programming and algorithms. But the study found that the candidates strongly lacked the required skills: around 92% of graduating engineers do not have the required programming and algorithm skills required for IT product companies, whereas 56% show lack of soft-skills and cognitive skills. One may note that the skills required by the IT product companies at the entry-level are very much a part of the curriculum of engineering colleges, which is a worrying sign for higher education.
IT Services Companies: The employability in IT services companies is 17.45%. It should be noted that this has been calculated according to the current hiring philosophy of IT services companies, where the candidate is not expected to already possess the required software skills
or soft skills, but is imparted the training over a period of 3 to 6 months. The hiring criterion for this industry, thus, is that the candidate should be trainable in technical and soft skills. This requires both a basic command of language and technical skills, together with requisite cognitive skills to respond to training in a short period of time. Considering these rather lax requirements, the fact that only 17.45% of the graduates are trainable into software engineers within a period of 3 to 6 months, is alarming to say the least. The research further shows that approximately 54% engineers are rejected because they are not soft-skill trainable in a short period of time, whereas around 46% lose on technical trainability. Apart from focus on core technical skills, technical trainability can be improved by adopting a quantitative approach to engineering problems. Bridging courses to hone English skills of the candidates is a definite step toward improving soft-skills trainability.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Sriman wrote:There is this group think (recruitment philosophy is also to be blamed for this) that you need average programmers to fill up the numbers and then a few technically proficient folks to keep the projects ticking.
:D, I very well understand this from my own experience. I have witnessed numerous problems based on this.
1. The average programmers soon get into a "spoon feed me" mode, with heavy reliance on the so called experienced folks. On an average one out of ten average programmer makes an attempt to get out of the average bucket.
2. The proficient folks for some time would help out others, but sooner or later realise that they have been taken for a ride. Frusturation soon sets in, and they either ask for a movement out of the assignment, or better still walk out of the company.
3. At the end the Project Manager would find himself with some code who no one can decipher, and a bunch of cry-a-babies who by then would have got used to too much of spoon feeding. Then it is a slippery path all the way down hill.
Lalmohan wrote:but project management disciplines definitely are
This is I feel one area where there is immense scope of improvement and a total attitude change. I personally feel that a Project Manager has a role to play in executing a project on the ground. But unfortunately in many IT companies, the notion it is a post that which carries lots of "prestige" with pretty much nothing to do.

After personally seeing how Project Managers (mainly from Europe) work on project execution, I guess our PMs are more like mestris/work foremen. The attitude, the vision ahead all reminds me of work foremens of yore who were bullies and only knew the language of threat and force.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Marten wrote:Sachin, not sure which firms you were/are involved with, but generalizing about ALL Indian PMs is simply not done. I welcome you to come over and check out our workplace where despite numerous budget and resource constraints, we have pulled off some of the most amazing work in our specific domain.
I do take your point, and it is not that all PMs are grade one bullies. My experiences are a mix of both. I have seen Managers (mainly whose prior experience was in factories) who behave like the typical manager who harasses the work men under him. To them I have behaved like a typical Mallu trade unionist, by quoting the company's own policies to get my way through. I also had the privelege of working with much more level headed managers who knew how to handle people. Have gone the 'extra mile' with these folks.
To belittle these immense achievements by comparing with whichever monkeys are hanging off the nearest tree is extremely unfair to folks who have managed such projects much better than the average joe from Ireland or the US or Germany or Japan.
Point taken. I do understand your (and your team's) achievements. Where as what I have witnessed for past 2 1/2 years was totally different. It was a case of saying "Yes Master!" to the client, and then start bullying the people working under her/him.
Therefore, there will always been organizations that bring about the monkeys I wrote about earlier. The issue, imvho, is the lack of professionalism amongst some of the team managers/members and I certainly would not paint all IT employees with the same tarred brush.
Agreed. IMHO the lack of professionalism mainly comes from an attitude of superiority.

BTW, a new legislation seems to be in the pipe line (at least in Karnataka).
IT industry has to adhere to labour laws now
Let us see how the IT-Vity "Majors" (and colonels and brigadiers) come up with some more theories to try to slip out of this.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

It was a case of saying "Yes Master!" to the client, and then start bullying the people working under her/him.
It isn't that all of them do this by personal choice to cozy up to the customer and thus indirectly help oneself during appraisal time. The top pressure is just to "bring revenue somehow". Quality of work and value added (sometimes never tangible) is never a goal on the appraisal expectations, revenue is all it boils down to. I once knew a team of freshers who were playing around with excel sheets for 6 months flat and the name of their team is "Data mining". Work which doesnt really enrich is given such IT-esque names and the freshers end up thinking it somehow adds to their resume.

Bottom line is that the PM is just implementing policy set by the higher ups. The PM is never the mestri, the "project leader" is the one who does most of the dirty work. A typical project leader would be one who has about 7-8 years of experience and is becoming "proficient with excel and powerpoint".
gunjur
BRFite

Post by gunjur »

Infy to hike china headcount
Kris Gopalakrishnan told on Monday. “Attrition rate is extremely high, because the Chinese believe a 10-12% annual raise is not good enough. :eek: :shock: That’s quite unlike India." :(( :roll:
Indian IT folks have truly become SDRE :(
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Chinese employment market is weird. They have this internal 'passport' system Hukuo, which enables a person to work in the cities. So what happens is people with hukuo become very valued, much more so than their actual qualification. So you have chemical engineers doing IT-vity, ityadi. In such a scenario, IT-vity companies will find themselves competing for talent not only with other IT-vity companie, but also chemical firms, construction firms, and sewage disposal firms. Most admired firm will have no problemo in competing with sewage firms as their founder famously cleans his own toilets. :mrgreen:
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Sachin wrote:After personally seeing how Project Managers (mainly from Europe) work on project execution, I guess our PMs are more like mestris/work foremen. The attitude, the vision ahead all reminds me of work foremens of yore who were bullies and only knew the language of threat and force.
It is not just IT-vity PMs who are like that. I work in an MR firm and our SBU head has the mental development of a team leader. He is in a senior management position, but his problem is that he has risen too fast in the past few years. This has made him insecure in handling a lot of things at his level. At the same time, he is from field background (the grunts who actually go around town doing interviews) whereas our department is a research department. This makes him insecure around a lot of people who happen to be better educated than him. :mrgreen: :lol:

So he resorts to bluff and bluster.

I had my first fight with him today, and I am sure that there will be very many to come. So I have actively started looking for jobs elsewhere. :mrgreen: At any rate i am done with this department. I only needed an entry into MR, and I got it.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

What's MR?
Shankas
BRFite

Post by Shankas »

KJoishy wrote:What's MR?
Market Research
gunjur
BRFite

Post by gunjur »

Offshore jobs from US, Europe drying up

certain excerpts
The research foresees that the traditional model of US and European companies moving finance, IT, and other business services jobs offshore will reach the end of its lifecycle over the next 8-10 years
It also found that of the 5.1 million business services jobs remaining onshore at the US and European companies in 2012, only about 1.8 million have the potential to be moved offshore with 7.5 lakh of those moving by 2016.
So the answer to the Q, as to how long can service companies scale up, it may well be for another decade.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Gunjur wrote:Offshore jobs from US, Europe drying up

certain excerpts
The research foresees that the traditional model of US and European companies moving finance, IT, and other business services jobs offshore will reach the end of its lifecycle over the next 8-10 years
It also found that of the 5.1 million business services jobs remaining onshore at the US and European companies in 2012, only about 1.8 million have the potential to be moved offshore with 7.5 lakh of those moving by 2016.
So the answer to the Q, as to how long can service companies scale up, it may well be for another decade.
Not necessarily. Keep in mind that the Indian and Chinese domestic markets are also growing. Plus there are so many other upcoming markets. Indian IT companies have already built excellent delivery models on a shoe-string budget. And now there is new fad I am seeing, entire It departments are outsourced to a company with only CTO and other Babus in customer company keeping an eye on things. I have seen many a case now and I see them only rising. Only thing constant is change and it is no different in IT services as well.

India can milk the services business model for another 20-30 years by which time our wages will be well into middle income group and the next lot of low cost IT destinations will take over, of course with Indian companies in these locations driving things. IT outsourcing dint big in India by cost alone, its also skill. If not for that Somalia would have been numero uno. All this, code coolie jokes notwithstanding.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Yogi_G wrote:Not necessarily. Keep in mind that the Indian and Chinese domestic markets are also growing.
Honestly, I would like to keep an eye on this :). There is enough potential here itself. And all said and done there is also a good satisfaction of giving it back to the society/state/country :).
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Yogi_G wrote:[

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that the Indian and Chinese domestic markets are also growing. Plus there are so many other upcoming markets. Indian IT companies have already built excellent delivery models on a shoe-string budget. And now there is new fad I am seeing, entire It departments are outsourced to a company with only CTO and other Babus in customer company keeping an eye on things. I have seen many a case now and I see them only rising. Only thing constant is change and it is no different in IT services as well.

India can milk the services business model for another 20-30 years by which time our wages will be well into middle income group and the next lot of low cost IT destinations will take over, of course with Indian companies in these locations driving things. IT outsourcing dint big in India by cost alone, its also skill. If not for that Somalia would have been numero uno. All this, code coolie jokes notwithstanding.
Next one is the Multi Media outsourcing. Vieo editing, movie editing, photo editing for verticals like AD industry, Movie, healthcare, education etc.

My group is experimenting on this and back end studio is already setup in India to do all this work.
Most of this work is being one in Italy and EU for now.
But this will go to India and this is about 10 B market
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Acharya wrote: Most of this work is being one in Italy and EU for now.
But this will go to India and this is about 10 B market
South Korea is a huge player in post production work, especially animation.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Sachin wrote:
Yogi_G wrote:Not necessarily. Keep in mind that the Indian and Chinese domestic markets are also growing.
Honestly, I would like to keep an eye on this :). There is enough potential here itself. And all said and done there is also a good satisfaction of giving it back to the society/state/country :).
Slightly OT but in context, the Indian economy is a perfect example of growth driven on domestic market and not a export driven one like China. With the current growth and the projected trajectory, the Indian IT companies will have a good growth story and many of the nanha mujahid programmers starting off in the IT industry can expect to retire in the IT industry itself.

I expect to see the American phenomenon of 30-35+years experienced developers in India also. till date it was but natural for a 5 + years exp guy to get into supervisory role and eventually move on to the middle management after some years. I personally chose against this route and hope to continue designing/architecting and coding my way well into the next 20-30 years. This tribe will only continue to grow.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

Acharya wrote: Next one is the Multi Media outsourcing. Vieo editing, movie editing, photo editing for verticals like AD industry, Movie, healthcare, education etc.
Very true. We have just sold a media solution worth 120 M euros to a largest desi media house. People that have smartphones and smart TV's shall be able to subscribe to it soon. Our license based revenue is going to pick up as more smart TV's and smartphones are bought.

If only our broadband tariffs become more reasonable :( .
gunjur
BRFite

Post by gunjur »

Yogi_G wrote: Not necessarily. Keep in mind that the Indian and Chinese domestic markets are also growing.
though not sure about chinese market, indian market is too small to be any sort of player in next 5-10 yrs ( the next 5-10 yrs will play a big role as to how IT industry goes about). For example in Bengaluru, BMTC is in profit. how much IT business do they provide? again KMF (Karnataka Milk Federation), one of the big dairy firm's in india which also in profit, not sure how much IT business they could/would be willing to provide. Maybe iirc Airtel-IBM deal of around 1B$ is the biggest deal within india. Even the biggest indian company:RIL might be having an IT budget of around 500 crores (would be surprising if they have more than 1k crore IT budget)
Yogi_G wrote: Indian IT companies have already built excellent delivery models on a shoe-string budget.
I think the very fact big IT players are not interested in bidding for Indian projects, is they have very low returns.
Sriman
BRFite

Post by Sriman »

Gunjur wrote: though not sure about chinese market, indian market is too small to be any sort of player in next 5-10 yrs ( the next 5-10 yrs will play a big role as to how IT industry goes about). For example in Bengaluru, BMTC is in profit. how much IT business do they provide? again KMF (Karnataka Milk Federation), one of the big dairy firm's in india which also in profit, not sure how much IT business they could/would be willing to provide. Maybe iirc Airtel-IBM deal of around 1B$ is the biggest deal within india. Even the biggest indian company:RIL might be having an IT budget of around 500 crores (would be surprising if they have more than 1k crore IT budget)
Yogi_G wrote: Indian IT companies have already built excellent delivery models on a shoe-string budget.
I think the very fact big IT players are not interested in bidding for Indian projects, is they have very low returns.
GOI is one of the bigger IT spenders right now. My employer has a separate India business division. Recently sold a product to Airtel. It may not be very big right now, but it'll all add up in the end.
gunjur
BRFite

Post by gunjur »

^^^thought am not aware about the latest update on aadhar, there is some uncertainties which unnerves technology vendors
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Currently 2 of the customers I handle for my company are Indian customers with one of them having billing rates higher than some of the US/Canada projects I manage by a far far far margin. The end customer techies I interact are super sharp and also perfectly extract every paisa of work they give. The one govt customer I have is about 50% of the US billing rates but of course the project managers do really low tech work like simple page modifications/data mining etc.

I disagree with the point that the Indian market will be of no consequence to how our IT markets shape out. The action on ground contradicts that.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Talking about the Indian customers reminded me of an incident. I was selected for the Indian airforce along with another dude in Mysore selection camp in 2004. In the interview both of us had passed gas on how important a career in defence is to us and that there was no alternative to us other than IAF. That dude and I dint join the IAF and went onto join one big IT orgn. That dude's first project customer was the IAF :mrgreen: . Needless to say he had some embarrassing moments when he ran into some of the IAF personnel whom we had interacted with when we had gone for our medical exams in Institute of aerospace medicine in Bangalore :rotfl:, we had repeated the same cr@p to them as well.
gunjur
BRFite

Post by gunjur »

Yogi_G wrote:I disagree with the point that the Indian market will be of no consequence to how our IT markets shape out. The action on ground contradicts that.
What i meant was in the near future, none of the IT players expects atleast 15-20% of their revenues from india. Though they would like to build this geography. The examples i gave were meant to say that most of the indian companies do not have big IT budgets. A western equivalent of RIL will certainly have a much bigger IT budget than what RIL has. As stated by others, surprisingly govt leads the pvt players with their IT spending.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

Gunjur wrote: What i meant was in the near future, none of the IT players expects atleast 15-20% of their revenues from india. Though they would like to build this geography. The examples i gave were meant to say that most of the indian companies do not have big IT budgets. A western equivalent of RIL will certainly have a much bigger IT budget than what RIL has. As stated by others, surprisingly govt leads the pvt players with their IT spending.
Gunjur,

This is from approx 10 years ago i.e before split. RIL had a very very big IT budget mostly done inhouse. They had 100% subsidaries doing that work & they hide the actual amount by various camoflages not to spook others.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

So how is the IT industry doing? I hear a lot of sad news in TOI and other places. Is this true? Has Indian IT "matured"?
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

KJoishy wrote:So how is the IT industry doing? I hear a lot of sad news in TOI and other places. Is this true? Has Indian IT "matured"?
Big big resource crunch right now. I am having to run to different cities to recruit quality candidates. The amount of genuine experience candidates with practical skills has run dry now, desperation is beginning to set in across many IT companies (my customers are also complaining) and many golden projects are being lost for want of resources. Tonnes and tonnes of resources walk in during interviews we schedule but hardly 1 or 2 get short listed amongst some 100 candidates. Most of them have fake experience and lie through their teeth shamelessly.

Tough days ahead what with economy improving, poaching will increase 400% onleee and this might even put the brakes on IT industry expansion in niche areas where experienced candidates are a MUST as against putting in freshers.
Abhijeet
BRFite

Post by Abhijeet »

Someone was asking here earlier about the Indian BPO industry. By coincidence, the cover story in the latest issue of Business Today is about Indian BPOs. Some things I picked up:

- In the last 5 years, the amount of voice based BPO work coming to India has fallen by half
- More work is now going to the Philippines. Many Indian BPO companies are opening centers there rather than expanding in India.
- The Philippines is already ahead in voice-based BPO work, and is catching up in non-voice.
- Advantages of the Philippines include the fact that employees can travel on their own to office. In India, employers have to arrange for buses, and provide extra security to women employees at night. Some more fruits of our efficient infrastructure development (and governance) model.

Apart from BPO, my sense is that Indian IT employees are overpaid. Salaries for mid-level managers in many MNCs now match or exceed salaries for junior engineers in the Midwest. Considering the fact that so many people have extremely poor communication skills and lack initiative, plus the time and culture difference, it may not be long before it only makes sense to outsource or offshore very low level tasks.

I think it's important for India to develop a large domestic market for technology, since many functions are located where the market is. I don't see this happening in the near future notwithstanding a Reliance or Tata here and there.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Virupaksha wrote:
Gunjur wrote: What i meant was in the near future, none of the IT players expects atleast 15-20% of their revenues from india. Though they would like to build this geography. The examples i gave were meant to say that most of the indian companies do not have big IT budgets. A western equivalent of RIL will certainly have a much bigger IT budget than what RIL has. As stated by others, surprisingly govt leads the pvt players with their IT spending.
Gunjur,

This is from approx 10 years ago i.e before split. RIL had a very very big IT budget mostly done inhouse. They had 100% subsidaries doing that work & they hide the actual amount by various camoflages not to spook others.
Absolutely true from my limited experience with them. The kind of IT implementations in RPL refinery in Jamnagar in 1998-99 time frame is mind boggling to say the least. the goras from Chevron Texaco, Shell visting RPL were dumb struck with some of the techonology implementation at RPL. IIRC, Reliance had engaged Wipro, Tata infotech and one more firm for a major MIS integration project then but after the designs were done, bought a small start up in Bangalpore and completed the project in 1/10th of the quoted cost after chucking TIL and Wipro out. The kind of concepts that I saw there in 1999 is something I see a lot of the so called big foreign firms implemeting now perhaps because the US and western companies are bottlenecked by legacy technology which needs major investments and risky.

On the current market trend, the standard outsourcing services (turn key development) , BPO etc. are becoming something highly commoditized with very low margins. Only way to scale up is to move up the value chain and provide services that will provide some thing like 10-20% savings year on year on operating cost by means for technology/process transformations. Having been party to some RFx from some major financial services firms in US/Europe recently, there seems to no budget for them to do technology/platform transformation and they want Indian companies to invest in transforming their platform and reap the benefits via a gain share model with BPO as part of the deal.

On the other hand, Indian firms are opening up. One of my firms recent bpo deal was from a Indian financial services company who I can never think will outsource back office operation to an Indian IT giant. Infer that Maruti Suzuki order management/dealer software is maintained by WIPRO.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

on that note I heard a talk recently about how the model of product cos dealing with the outsourced electronic makers is changing. more and more is being offloaded to the likes of flextronics, quanta or jabil, to the extent where even they design much of a prototype on their own with inputs & periodic oversight from the OEM, and bring it upto testable status on their own cost. if they do it, they get the orders to make the product when it actually ships. its all a form of cost cutting and margin squeezing. in the past, they would be paid handsomely for doing the prototypes also.

the kind of thought and testing that goes into selection of even small parts like power connectors, data connectors , PCB design, thermal simulation of leading edge products is amazing...long before it ever reaches the stage of writing software for it. Tyco seems to be a supapawa in the connectors thing...selling picks, water, jeans and shovels to the gold miners.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Cloud over Microsoft, Infosys, Wipro campuses in Andhra Pradesh
salaries of existing employees would be halfed and for those who came in late, they would be asked to go back to selling Refined Palm Oil in Western India (Wipro had always stood for Western India Palm Refined Oil).
:rotfl:
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Yogi, you from Mysore?
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

KJoishy wrote:Yogi, you from Mysore?
Chennai, saar.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I would like to understand what is this Wakf board, who runs it and historically how did they come to own so much land? was it granted to them in a fit of pro-minority PCness? did some sultans of the past grant them vast lands?

in every place in the country the wakf board seems to have vast lands, always under some dispute or the other. even bara bhai's Antlia was built on land sold by the wakf board they say.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Abhijeet wrote: Apart from BPO, my sense is that Indian IT employees are overpaid. Salaries for mid-level managers in many MNCs now match or exceed salaries for junior engineers in the Midwest. Considering the fact that so many people have extremely poor communication skills and lack initiative, plus the time and culture difference, it may not be long before it only makes sense to outsource or offshore very low level tasks.
At 40-50% margin levels I beg to disagree. I operate my own projects at 60% margins with the total costs not to exceed 40%. Most IT companies have extremely high margin levels and given that fact that they operate at such levels means the employees in fact are under-paid. The concept of communication skills is very open to subjective interpretations. It's a problem all across the IT world not just India. I know of many goras who mumble or cant speak without a comprehensible accent. English fluency doesnt automatically qualify as communication skills.