India's Contribution to Science & Technology

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Alok_N
BRFite

Post by Alok_N »

JE Menon wrote:More from vsunder

Thus by general relativity Black holes exist, they are the solutions to Einstein's field equations. Nobody disputes that, except DDM. After all Chandrasekhar has a 500 page book called The Mathematical theory of Black Holes.
if there is a way to communicate this to vsunder ...

I very much doubt that the existence of black holes has been proven in the context of Einstein's equation ... a 500 page book is not proof ...

all we know is that there are anomalous x-ray sources and that the center of our galaxy has a great attracter ... Hawking radiation has never been measured ... and there is no evidence for an "event horizon" yet ...

is that same as "proving" that black holes exist?
AryaSen
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AryaSen »

vsunder's post
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for Eddington this was a shock. He never believed eqn. (6).
He labelled (6) as "the illegitimate child of an unholy wedlock between relativity and quantum mechanics".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chandrasekhar uses the amalgamate of Quantum Mechanics & Special Relativity and this goes unacceptable to the then scientific community as this idea was not acceptable by Mr.EddingTON due to personal convictions. However during the same scientific era (1928) the whole planet went upbeat about Dirac's Equation which is nothing but a marraige of Q.Mech and Special Relativity. Now both Dirac and Eddington were English and moved in the same scientific circle. With due respect to both Eddington and the rest of the scientific community , wonder why nobody stepped up asking Eddington not to cloud his scientific dealings with personal feelings. Mr. Ton really knew to throw his weight around, though his ancient book on GTR is still a gem.
Ajith
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ajith »

abhishek wrote:
Dr Vidyasagar is now a VP in TCS. This is Dr Vidyasagar's Homepage
I read all his articles in his TCS homepage....man...I have to respect this guy......I would suggest every one to read them.... :)
Dear Abhishek,

He is a legend by himself !! A child prodigy who got his Phd at a very young age and became a full professor at 26 years of age. There was an article about him in Spectrum long ago, it was an interesting reading. He was bought back to India by President Abdul Kalam.

Cheers,

Ajith
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

as I understand it, vsunder is able to read BRF, but he is unable to post, for some wierd reason... so if I get a response, I will post on his behalf, or if the problem has been resolved, he might do so himself.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,128 ... _tophead_1

Modern Students Devour Old Math
By Manu Joseph

02:00 AM Aug. 14, 2004 PT

MUMBAI, India -- What is the square of 85? In an instant, a 17-year-old boy said
without blinking, "7,225."

Kamlesh Shetty had used a trick from a quaint concept called Vedic math, a
compilation of arithmetic shortcuts believed to have been written by ancient
Indians who lived centuries before Christ, during a glorious period in Indian
history called the Vedic Age. Its math has now crawled into the 21st century to
further Shetty's dream of cracking a nasty engineering entrance exam.

For most Indian students, engineering is a calling decided in the cradle by
their parents. It is engineering that is most likely to take them away from
Third World realities to the shores of America's good life. So the tussle to get
into engineering colleges is often cruel. In top entrance exams, only one out of
100 candidates makes the cut.

Quick problem-solving ability becomes the most crucial link between aspiration
and fortune. Coaching for these exams is a multimillion-dollar industry in
India, but with almost every student equipped with such preparatory courses, the
applicants search for something more. That's why several Indian students are
beginning to get help from an ancient source -- Vedic math. It has 16 brief
formulas in Sanskrit that have been translated and interpreted into astonishing
arithmetic shortcuts.

Shetty did not know the original Sanskrit verses, but he did know how to crack
the square of 85 in less than a second. "To find the square of any number ending
with 5, just put 25 on the right-hand side," he said. "Take the number that
precedes five. In this case it is 8. Add 1 to it. So in this case it becomes 9.
Multiply 8 and 9. You get 72. 7,225 is the square of 85. It's easy."

Shetty is preparing for the prestigious Joint Entrance Exam. Over 150,000
candidates take this entrance exam every year to compete for only about 3,500
seats in the Indian Institute of Technology. Two-thirds of IIT's graduates leave
for America, augmenting the thousands already there who contribute to the
institute's reputation. American colleges and industry greatly favor students
from IIT, a situation that has only increased competition to enter the
institute.

Pradeep Kumar, who teaches Vedic math in Delhi, said, "There is an increasing
interest among IIT aspirants to take the help of Vedic math." Kumar charges such
students about $120 for 40 hours of lessons. He teaches more than 200 students
in the classroom and guides over 600 through long-distance courses.

Not all of his students dream of attending IIT. Several, mostly engineering
pupils, are preparing for MBA entrance exams as tough as IIT's. One of Kumar's
students, Kartik Arora, said, "Obviously Vedic math cannot teach you how to
solve a problem. But it greatly reduces the computing time. I can vouch for the
fact that in a two-hour exam, I can save about 10 minutes using Vedic math."

Vedic mathematics was ushered into the modern age by a Hindu seer called
Tirthaji Maharaja, after his book on the subject was published posthumously in
1965. He culled 16 formulas from ancient scriptures. Whether the formulas were
indeed written centuries ago or were largely partisan interpretations of obscure
Sanskrit text is a matter of academic debate.

T.A. Ramasubban, who has penned a book on Vedic math, said, "The controversy
arises because some people question how a cryptic Sanskrit verse that means
several things can be safely interpreted as an arithmetic shortcut. For example,
there is a verse in the Vedas (scriptures) that praises Lord Krishna in the
Vedas. If the Sanskrit words are interpreted, the verse gives the value of pi to
30 decimal points.

"My point is that a verse may extol a god, but ... if it also gives the value of
pi to 30 decimals, it cannot be a coincidence or desperate translation."

The controversy over whether ancient texts have been unfairly stretched to pass
as formulas does not affect students like Prashant Chopra. He is a fourth-year
engineering student gearing up for an MBA entrance test to secure a place in the
Indian Institute of Management. Last year, more than 130,000 students vied for
1,300 seats. Thanks to Vedic math, Chopra can arrive at the square of 109 in a
second -- and that means more to him than whether the subject is indeed Vedic or
math.

Top preparatory courses that coach hundreds of thousands of students do not
teach Vedic math yet. "I know that many of my own students are curious about
Vedic math," said Rajesh Lad, a math instructor, "but I believe that learning a
new way of computation may confuse students. Students must sharpen methods that
they are comfortable with instead of taking exotic routes."

Dinesh Arora, a Vedic math teacher whose two sons will be testing for IIT after
mastering the tips of Vedic math, said with a chuckle: "These (teachers) do not
realize that some of the shortcuts they themselves suggest are indirectly
sourced from Vedic math."
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://hindustantimes.com/news/181_1025345,0041.htm

i am sure, its quite tangential to the thread.. it should be fun to kick up some dust here..:wink:
Alok_N
BRFite

Post by Alok_N »

krsna wrote:http://deccanherald.com/deccanherald/sep292004/i7.asp
Scientists master secret nuke tech
just in case the headline regarding "secret technology" and mysterious reference to Niobium wasn't dorky enough, the DDM dude had to add this:
Originally designed for 90 milli-electron Volt (meV) energy, the NSC plans to raise their machine’s energy level to 180 meV by March 2006.
that amount of energy would enable scientists to develop deadly spitballs :)
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

It should have been reported as Million Electron volt (MeV) :)
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Scientific papers from India up 24,000 in 5 years
Jeffrey Clovis, Director, Thomson Scientific USA, said, “Indian scientific research, the papers born of it and the citations due to researchers, are on the growth path. And these will continue to grow. It is important, therefore for India, to continue to promote scientific endeavour and discovery to make sure of the same.”

He was speaking on Research Day conducted on Sunday and orgnaised jointly by Thomson Scientific and Informatics India to honour some of the most cited among Indian scientists across various fields.

While mentioning that the number of scientific papers from India had gone up, from 66,000 in 81-85 to 90,000 in the last five years, Clovis said that growth rates had been similar in the rest of the world, which meant that India still ranks on the lower range, especially in the area of number of cites.

According to a study conducted by Thomson Scientific called ISIhighlycited among 149 countries, while India ranks 21in the number of papers published and 13 in the number of citations given out, it ranked as low as 119 in ‘impact’ or number of cites per paper.

Researchers honoured at the event included, Soumitro Banerjee, IIT - Kharagpur (Engineering), Jayaraman Chandrasekhar, IISc (Chemistry), Atul H Chokshi, IISc (Materials Science), K L Chopra, IIT-Delhi (Materials Science), Sadhan Kumar De, IIT-Kharagpur (Materials Science), Vinod Kumar Gupta, IIT-Roorkee (Ecology/Environmental Science) and Narendra K Karmarkar, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (Mathematics and Computer Science). They were all presented with Citation Laureates.
Alok_N
BRFite

Post by Alok_N »

vasu_a wrote:
According to a study conducted by Thomson Scientific called ISIhighlycited among 149 countries, while India ranks 21in the number of papers published and 13 in the number of citations given out, it ranked as low as 119 in ‘impact’ or number of cites per paper.
Something does not compute here ...

The ranking in citations is 13th which is higher than the ranking in number of papers which is 21st ...

which means that on average India is better at getting citations than at cranking out papers ...

yet the ratio of the two quantities, puts India at 119th :-?
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

India plans to remain in the forefront of radio astronomy. It is part of the square kilometer array design group taking radio astronomy to a level at 100 times done currently.

http://www.skatelescope.org/documents/S ... 062002.pdf

http://www.skatelescope.org/PDF/Indian_dem.pdf
Alok_N
BRFite

Post by Alok_N »

The Giant Meterwave Radio Telescope (GMRT) in India is the world's largest of its kind. It is a truly ingenious and indigenous idea ... it uses ropes and cheap labor to construct something that no other country could.

homepage: http://www.gmrt.ncra.tifr.res.in/gmrt_h ... _gmrt.html

That site seems to be down ... so I googled something for folks who are interested: http://members.tripod.com/~Techniche/telescop.htm

While googling, I found a good list of sites in India:

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/indiansp ... india.html

It does not include the proposed gamma-ray instrument in Hanle, Ladakh which will be the world's highest (and hence, most sensitive to intermediate energy gamma-rays) gamma-ray telescope.

The US will launch a gamma-ray satellite telescope in 2007, but that is another matter :)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Your username has been changed to Alok_N. Any questions or concerns just email me. Thank You.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Since no thread suitable posted here

A unique human trait

London: If asked to identify the single most important physical attribute that marks mankind from the beasts, the ability to run for long distances without falling over would probably trail last — long after an expanded brain, dexterous hands, the existence of childhood or even just standing upright. Yet, according to a report in Thursday's Nature, it is endurance running — as distinct from sprinting, walking or just standing up — that explains many of the peculiarities of the human frame. When we think of running, it is running fast over short distances. Few humans make good sprinters and even an Olympian cannot keep up the pace of a 100-metre dash for more than 15 seconds or so. Long-distance running, however, is a different game, and something humans are surprisingly good at. With a little training, we can maintain a steady pace for kilometres at a time and our speeds compare not too unfavourably with those of horses and dogs. One interesting idea comes from studying animals that also go in for endurance running — open country pursuit-predators and scavengers such as dogs and hyenas. A suitable frame for long-distance running emerged with the genus Homo around 2.5 million years ago, along with big brains, small guts and small teeth — all traits consistent with a carnivorous lifestyle and a diet rich in fats and proteins. Before we invented bows and arrows to bridge that gap, if we wanted to bring home that bacon, we had to run for it.

— © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2004
Last edited by svinayak on 19 Nov 2004 06:22, edited 1 time in total.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

i fail to understand india's contribution!?
Alok_N
BRFite

Post by Alok_N »

that's an interesting study ... but, yes, the part about India's contribution is not clear ...

if it has to do with "running away", proper credit should go to TSP army ...

hence, India's contribution lies in the training of TSPA to achieve such feats :)
vsunder
BRFite

Indian Mathematics in the 20th Century

Post by vsunder »

Artless Innocents and Ivory Tower sophisticates, they are all here in this nice article. Most Indians know little about India's contributions
to Mathematics. In this article I see finally those names who
had a profound effect on mathematics, many of them like Minakshisundaram have had a deep effect on my own thinking and work. There is Harishchandra who finally in 1966 managed to find the Plancherel formula on a semi-simple Lie group with finite center, a work that will live
for 500 years. See also the life of Harishchandra at(The DAE has finally
changed the name of Mehta Research Institute to Harishchandra
Research Institute)

http://www.mri.ernet.in

The main web page has linked to it a Bulletin of the American Math.
Society article by Rebecca Sperb of the Univ. of Maryland.
There are other tidbits of Harishchandra that I know that is not in the article.

Minkashisundaram, whose work I personally admire so much on the
eigenvalues of the Laplace operator on a compact Riemannian manifold.
Minakshi finally was in Andhra Univ. in isolation. His work with
Ake Pleijel will live long, long after we are all dead and gone.

Patodi whose life was cruelly cut short and who working in isolation
solved the conjectures of Mckean and Singer and then found remarkable
proofs of the Riemann Roch theorem in 1971. Pillai who solved the
Waring problem and who was killed tragically in an air crash in Cairo
on his way to the US. Chowla who was the most genial human being
I met and a profound number-theorist. C. P. Ramanujam(this is NOT the RamanujaN, but another one) whose life was again cut short, a total tragedy for Indian mathematics.

The article itself:
http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/aug252003/526.pdf
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Science reforms on PM table
Science is set for a complete overhaul this year — reforms in education, a new funding mechanism for research and rewarding careers — reveals the man handpicked by the Prime Minister to do the job.

The agenda for change has been drawn up by Prof. C..R. Rao, recently appointed chairperson of the Science Advisory Council. “I have worked out an agenda and sent it to the Prime Minister and the minister for science and technology. We must bring in structural changes, institutional changes and changes in the administration to make science work.

Talks have begun between the science and technology and HRD ministries. The objective is to match China and South Korea.

A new funding system for research and development projects, without red tape but with intellectual audit, tops the agenda. This would ensure a jump in allocation of funds while cutting down procedural delays and the long-drawn process of accounting.

“We are going to try new ways to encourage basic research as well as development of innovative technology. Our scientists are not going to waste time on sanction of funds or other accounting procedures,” said Rao, whose appointment was announced by Manmohan Singh at the Indian Science Congress in Ahmedabad on Monday.

Policies to encourage innovation in the product-patent era will also be put in place, he added.

“Innovation is going to play a bigger role in India. If you are innovative, the product can make it to Europe or the US, as companies like the Tatas and Biocon have shown. Innovation also includes reverse research started by CSIR (Council for Scientific and Industrial Research) in the pharma sector. We will encourage innovation to prevent international R&D companies from taking away our young researchers. I have lost some of my bright students (post-doctoral) to General Electric (of the US),” he said.

Steps will be taken to draw young people to the creative sectors of science and engineering. New research centres and new projects in organisations such as the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) and the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, are on the cards.

“The amount of research is roughly 20 per cent of what it was two years ago. Unless we rejuvenate the education system, we cannot expect good quality science. The Prime Minister is keen to overhaul the education sector with infusion of funds for good quality education and make the sector more productive in terms of output of science graduates and research scholars. We are also going to look at new curricula and new types of talent search for budding scientists,” Rao said.
AJay
BRFite

Post by AJay »

Alok_N wrote:The Giant Meterwave Radio Telescope (GMRT) in India is the world's largest of its kind. It is a truly ingenious and indigenous idea ... it uses ropes and cheap labor to construct something that no other country could.

homepage: http://www.gmrt.ncra.tifr.res.in/gmrt_h ... _gmrt.html
I met Prof. Govind Swarup circa 2000 at Le Meridien, Pune. Pune is becoming a center for lots of scientific research with people like Prof. Swarup, Narendra Karmarkar and Jayant Narlikar working in the city.
Alok_N
BRFite

Post by Alok_N »

AJay wrote: I met Prof. Govind Swarup circa 2000 at Le Meridien, Pune. Pune is becoming a center for lots of scientific research with people like Prof. Swarup, Narendra Karmarkar and Jayant Narlikar working in the city.
Prof. Swarup is now retired. Prof. Anathkrishnan (Ananth) is now running the show ... Pune owes its success in large part to one Prof. Bhide who built up the Department/Institute at Pune ... India needs more like him at other Universities.
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

While many know the name of the celebrated number theorist from India S. Ramanujan
few know the name of one of the most powerful mathematicians from India in the last
part of the twentieth century C. P. Ramanujam. The difference is in the last letter n--> m.
Tragically like his illustrious counterpart Srinivasa Ramanujan, C. P. Ramanujam died young by committing suicide at the age of 36.
If he had lived longer he would have made an even more important
mark on algebraic geometry, complex manifolds and also number theory.
Even so in his short life spent mostly at TIFR, Mumbai, Ramanujam impressed
many, including the Fields medalist David Mumford at Harvard with whom he wrote
an important article on complex geometry( specifically the Kodaira vanishing theorem), the great Russian algebraic geometer Shafarevitch,
he German geometer F. Hirzebruch and many others. A short account of Ramanujam's life and his contributions to mathematics is to be found at:

http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk ... nujam.html
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://indianscience.org/

History

Until the 1800s, TKS generated large scale economic productivity for Indians. It was the TKS based thriving Indian economy that attracted so many waves of invaders, culminating with the British. Traditionally, India was one of the richest regions in the world, and most Indians were neither 'backward' nor uneducated nor poor. Some historians have recently begun to come out with this side of the story, demonstrating that it was massive economic drainage, oppression, social re-engineering, and so forth at the hands of colonizers that made millions of 'new poor' over the past few centuries. This explanation yields a radically different reading of the poverty in India today. Upon acknowledging India's traditional knowledge systems, one is forced to discard accounts of its history that essentialize its poverty and the accompanying social evils. The reality of TKS contradicts notions such as:

* India was less rational and scientific than the west.
* India was world negating in its outlook (which is a misreading of the Inner Sciences), and hence did not advance itself from within.
* India's civilization was mainly imported via invaders, except for its problems such as caste that were its own 'essences'.
* Indian society was socially backward (to the point of being seen as lacking in morality); hence it depends upon westernization to reform its current problems.

Society Today

Is India a 'developing' society, or is it a 're-developing' society? Without appreciating the TKS of a people, how could anthropologists and sociologists interpret the current condition of a society? Were they always poor, always living in polluted and socially problematic conditions as today, in which case these problems are essences? Or is there a history behind the present condition? This history should not, however, excuse the failures of fifty years of independence to deal properly with the economic and social problems that persist. Going forward, Traditional Knowledge Systems TKS are eco-friendly, symbiotic with the environment, and therefore can help provide a sustainable lifestyle. Since the benefits of heavy industries do not trickle down to the people below the poverty line or to so-called developing countries, a revival of traditional technologies and crafts must complement the modern 'development' schemes for eradication of poverty. In this regard, the distinction between elite and folk science was non existent in ancient times: India's advanced metallurgy and civil engineering was researched and practiced by artisan guilds.
Shalav
BRFite

Post by Shalav »

India to modernise facilities at Antarctica station
India will modernise its research station and summer camps at Antarctica and enhance its fleet of special vehicles in the icy continent, Minister for Science and Technology and Ocean Development Kapil Sibal has said.
The modernisation will see an increase in the fleet of piston bully vehicles used to travel on the ice, it said.
What are piston bully vehicles?
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

It's an off road vehicle, except instead of wheels it has a small caterpilar.
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

Sultans of String

Very happy to see Spenta's name in there. Go TIFR!
Gudakesa
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Gudakesa »

Alok_N,
I am not a cosmologist and practicing relativity theorist, but I agree with vsunder. Einstein's theory, (without any quantum mechanics) does allow for the existence of blackholes, and the schwarzschild metric does have singular behaviour, which theoretically correspond to black holes. As far as experiment goes, I presume that the evidence for their existence is indirect, but given the predicted physical properties of these objects, it is hard to find any direct evidence. However, I believe that there is a considerable accumulation of evidence over the decades which more or less settles the question of their existence.

As far as Chandrasekhar's famous work on the star mass limits for the creation of neutron stars and blackholes is concerned, it combines special relativity and quantum mechanics. For the purposes of his work, it is an extremely reasonable and good approximation, since he is studying local behaviour of the system. Taking considerations of curvature into consideration does not change the essentials of his argument. His argument is qualitatively put the following-The gravitational force is an attractive one, which, in a star, is balanced by the energy created by the star's fusion mechanism. When the star is large enough and once the star runs out of fuel to supply the fusion process, it collapses due to the gravitational force and its density becomes enhanced. After a certain point, pretty much the main force which offsets gravity is due to the Pauli exclusion principle which states that fermionic particles (electrons, neutrons etc) cannot be in the same state. The force due to this is known as the degeneracy pressure. However, this pressure is not always sufficient to balance the gravitational pull, and beyond a certain mass the gravity dominates and leads to a collapse into a black hole-Chandrasekhar's calculation (in my understanding) was to calculate this threshold mass.

He did return to black holes much later in his career, which I think is when he wrote his book mentioned before.
Alok_N
BRFite

Post by Alok_N »

Gudakesa wrote:Alok_N,
I am not a cosmologist and practicing relativity theorist, but I agree with vsunder. Einstein's theory, (without any quantum mechanics) does allow for the existence of blackholes ...
"allowing for existence" is not proof ... that was my only point.

I can allow for the existence of pink elephants on Pluto ... what does that prove?
As far as experiment goes, I presume that the evidence for their existence is indirect, but given the predicted physical properties of these objects, it is hard to find any direct evidence. However, I believe that there is a considerable accumulation of evidence over the decades which more or less settles the question of their existence.
the question is far from settled ... there is a lot of very interesting data ... but, right now, questions far outnumber answers ...
Gudakesa
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Gudakesa »

Alok_N,
Actually, within the framework of the theory of General Relativity, it does imply existence, unless GR is incorrect or there is a fundamental limit to how heavy stars can get. Additionally, the evidence existence of neutron stars is pretty conclusive, so there is no reason to believe that the predictions of theory don't work for situations where the neutron star cannot be sustained (i.e sufficient mass to overcome degeneracy pressure.).

I think the actual existence of black holes is accepted to a large extent. There are issues regarding their properties, of course. I admit that it is conceivable that there is an alternate explanation for the experimental evidence, but I do not know of any alternative, consistent framework which accounts for experiment.

If you believe that there is a strong physical reason why they need not exist, I would be genuinely interested in knowing it.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Last month's Physics Today issue (subscription only) has an obituary for Prof. Prabahan Kabir who has made important contributions in nuclear physics and was Hans Bethe's student at Cornell. I happen to have had the chance to sit in a few of his classes. He was a difficult personality and a little reclusive for someone with his stature. His father was the education minister in the Nehru ministry. Prof. Kabir drowned at sea off berhampur in Aug 2004. Some of his ideas were controversial especially wrt to invariance theories. Too technical to be of amusement here.
Alok_N
BRFite

Post by Alok_N »

Gudakesa,

This forum is not the appropriate place, but I will post one more time on this.

I am not suggesting that there is evidence that contradicts the existence of BH ... in fact, the evidence is highly compelling, especially the star data from the galactinc center which are indicating a mass density of 10^13 solar masses per cubic parsec ... jets from AGNs, radio-loud blazars, very bright x-ray sources etc are all supportive of BH phenomena ...

However, there are minor chinks ... the smallest orbit at the galactic center (around the super massive BH) is supposed to be 24 minutes ... but, some folks claim to have measured periodic flaring events with a 17 minute period (which would theretically lie inside the event horizon) ...

that is enough to raise a doubt ...

add to that the fact that we have no clue what contitutes about 90% of the energy density in the universe (dark matter and dark energy) ...

in sum total, and with appropriate humility, one should not claim that we *know* what is going on ... basically, we have some darn clever ideas that may or may not pan out ...

[as an aside, when folks like Brian Green come out 400% sure about strings etc, they do science disservice ... and they reveal traces of a madarsa mind.]
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

His father was the education minister in the Nehru ministry. Prof. Kabir drowned at sea off berhampur in Aug 2004. Some of his ideas were controversial especially wrt to invariance theories. Too technical to be of amusement here.
Is he Humayun Kabir's son? If true, then he is GF's ex-Brother in Law.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Yes he is Humayun Kabir's son and is/was George Fernandez's BIL.

Here is a link from Current Science, somehow I missed this one.
http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/oct252004/1149.pdf
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.hindu.com/2005/03/02/stories ... 180600.htm "We are developing a technology for the future with nanotechnologies,"
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.hindu.com/2005/03/02/stories ... 180600.htm "We are developing a technology for the future with nanotechnologies,"
Gudakesa
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Gudakesa »

Alok_N,
I think we are in agreement. I know that cosmology is complicated and questions of this nature are not fully settled, I only wanted to know your point of view. Thanks for clarifying it.
Alok_N
BRFite

Post by Alok_N »

Krsna,

Good to see that research is rewarded ... for those who may have missed it:

Prof Sood's Paper

I am waiting to see the community start referring to it as the Sood-Ghosh effect rather than the application of Bernoulli/Seebeck effect on nanotubes ...
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... 038600.cms Raman effect still creating ripples