Indian Police Reform

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Suyogv
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Indian Police Reform

Post by Suyogv »

I have one NRI friend for LA. He says there is corruption in USA but on extremly small scale.
vishwakarmaa
BRFite

Post by vishwakarmaa »

Suyogv wrote:I have one NRI friend for LA. He says there is corruption in USA but on extremly small scale.
One who lives in West is under the influence of western media. Critically speaking, he can't understand or see, how 'corruption' and 'frauds' are institutionalized in American financial system.

read my response here(moving to other thread, due to context issues):
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 74#p739774
Last edited by vishwakarmaa on 17 Sep 2009 23:04, edited 2 times in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

vishwakarmaa, your post is interesting but still highly OT.
kindly edit and post in a more appropriate thread. post a link here if you want.
these little disciplines are necessary for smooth running of a forum.
thanks.
Suyogv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Suyogv »

Rahul M wrote:vishwakarmaa, your post is interesting but still highly OT.
kindly edit and post in a more appropriate thread. post a link here if you want.
these little disciplines are necessary for smooth running of a forum.
thanks.
What is OT??
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

OT = Off topic, not related to the matter being discussed.
Suyogv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Suyogv »

Guyes have you heard of Mumbai police conducting Mock Drills in Mall in Mumbai? Check this out.http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news ... 020215.cmsand thishttp://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news ... 028864.cms
Rahul Mehta
BRF Oldie

Post by Rahul Mehta »

Here are two CSI episodes using which one can get a glimpse of Coroner's Jury System, and see how it enables us commons to control the policemen

Season 7, Episode 4 : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0847779/
Season 7, Episode 7 : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0865035/

Please buy the ORIGINAL video

http://www.amazon.com/C-S-I-Crime-Scene ... 213&sr=8-5

----

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3768016 ... 7_Complete

While torrenting, you may need to select ONLY two the 19 episodes.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

Kolkata Police set up blog for popular feedback
2009-09-20
http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?a=jj ... r_feedback

Kolkata: In a bid to become more people friendly, Kolkata Police have started a blog where people can express their thoughts about the city police.

`One can express his or her likes or dislike about the Kolkata Police in this blog,` Police Commissioner Goutam Mohan Chakrabarti said.

The website kolkatacops.com gives a comprehensive view of the various social work done by the police apart from their usual work profile.

Chakrabarti asserted this blog would be different from the blogs maintained by the celebrities and the focus would be to improve the services of the city policemen.

He said this blog would help people to know about Kolkata Police's various initiative, like Nabadisha (New Direction) - an educational and healthcare programme for the vulnerable children in the streets of the city, Kiran - a project launched to impart computer training to the lesser-privileged children, Probaho (the constant flow) - the yearlong blood donation camp and many more.

And the site is unavailable
http://tinypic.com/r/2rhpqtg/4
vishwakarmaa
BRFite

Post by vishwakarmaa »

Avinash R wrote:And the site is unavailable
http://tinypic.com/r/2rhpqtg/4
Its working.

Seems you hit wrong URL. Try this - http://www.KolkataCops.com
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

^ Thanks.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

x-posting from internal security watch thread of strat forum
20,000 cops forced to serve retired IPS, IAS officers :roll:
The diversion of the force for domestic duties has become a serious issue in Bihar and Jharkhand. There's now a severe scarcity of police for law and order duties in these two states.

"We have asked our departments head to immediately look into the matter and strengthen the police picket posts,” added Jitender Singh.

The policemen were trained to counter crime and criminals but now about 20,000 of them have been reduced to the status of personal servants.

They are busy ferrying children to schools, carrying suitcases of their bosses and buying groceries for their homes. They do all household jobs except their assigned government duties.

Meanwhile, those they serve have been claiming that they deserve it.

Retired DGP of Jharkhand TP Sinha is entitled to two police personal but allegedly has more than eight jawans to his disposal.

“I don’t have any jawans from the Bihar police, even if I do, there is nothing wrong in it,” Sinha said.

As for the police, they don't have enough courage to act against their own bosses or former bosses.

This seems to be yet another case of law enforcers breaking the law.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

pgbhat wrote:Retired DGP of Jharkhand TP Sinha is entitled to two police personal but allegedly has more than eight jawans to his disposal.
“I don’t have any jawans from the Bihar police, even if I do, there is nothing wrong in it,” Sinha said.
Guess we can take Bihar Police as reference when it comes to highlighting ONLY bad things and negative practises :(. These retired IPS fellas cook up some reason which says that their personal life is in danger, and demand police protection.
Rahul Mehta
BRF Oldie

Post by Rahul Mehta »

pgbhat wrote:x-posting from internal security watch thread of strat forum
20,000 cops forced to serve retired IPS, IAS officers :roll:

===========

The diversion of the force for domestic duties has become a serious issue in Bihar and Jharkhand. There's now a severe scarcity of police for law and order duties in these two states.

"We have asked our departments head to immediately look into the matter and strengthen the police picket posts,” added Jitender Singh.

The policemen were trained to counter crime and criminals but now about 20,000 of them have been reduced to the status of personal servants.

They are busy ferrying children to schools, carrying suitcases of their bosses and buying groceries for their homes. They do all household jobs except their assigned government duties.

Meanwhile, those they serve have been claiming that they deserve it.

Retired DGP of Jharkhand TP Sinha is entitled to two police personal but allegedly has more than eight jawans to his disposal.

As for the police, they don't have enough courage to act against their own bosses or former bosses.

This seems to be yet another case of law enforcers breaking the law.
We citizens should expel such IPS officers.
Suyogv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Suyogv »

Hey guys check out this link http://www.copconnect.in Another great initiative by D.Shivanandan
sinha
BRFite -Trainee

CCTNS deployment

Post by sinha »

Looks like CCTNS bandwagon has started rolling finally. http://www.e-pao.net/GP.asp?src=17..300909.sep09 - to my knowledge Manipur seems to be the first (non-advanced category state) which is going to get funding of 50 crores for CCTNS deployment (out of 2000 crore Kitty).

Interestingly if anyone cared to look at the functional requirements specifications for CAS part of CCTNS available on NCRB site - it seems extremely poor in its capability for investigation support. It just seems bent on ensuring uniformity in making sure 7 Integrated Forms for police registration, investigation and prosecution are covered and these can be rolled up into central repositories. States are left to device and propose what they feel like on Law and Order, Cyber crime investigation, City surveillance, Predictive crime analytics/mapping, Traffic solutions, Emergency management, Command / Control etc.

That said, One of the key benefits I do see is uniformity of Citizen interaction and easing out of this interaction.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

I thought Mumbai already had all its police stations networked? Might not be by the name of CCTNS, but I thought it was the same thing? How is this different?

One other advantage of having central repositories is that someone can now go back and do data mining on crime patterns etc to see which areas would be best served by which resources.
sinha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sinha »

Tanaji wrote:I thought Mumbai already had all its police stations networked? Might not be by the name of CCTNS, but I thought it was the same thing? How is this different?

One other advantage of having central repositories is that someone can now go back and do data mining on crime patterns etc to see which areas would be best served by which resources.
Historically speaking there have been two major systems in India - CCIS and CIPA - which were developed and rolled out centrally (NCRB and NIC driven respectively). CIPA is a standalone police station system which you may be refering to in Maharashtra. This is used for Crime (Registration, Investigation and Procesution) - along with another application suite called MCOPS - which handles all Law and Order and Backoffice stuff. I am quite sure not all Police stations are networked across Mumbai and in general Maharashtra. There are other systems which were done primarily at state level e.g. eCOPS in AP, GCOPS in GOA, Police IT (Karnataka), CAARUS (TN?), HD IITS (Gujarat).

However whereever CIPA is installed they have some mechanism of rolling up the data at state level. Till the states got funding for SWANs and SDCs - the last mile connectivity or event capital-district-taluka-govt departments across most states was a problem - now that problem is getting reasonably solved, one can think about having systems like CCTNS, NATGRID etc in pretty much the same way as state eGov Portals.

Data Mining on Crime patterns - what I was pointing to is that CCTNS leaves this completely to states to decide and doesnt really talk in much detail about what needs to be done. None of the systems deployed so far from central perspective or state led initiative had any strenght in crime prevention using data analytics/GIS/predictive technologies. Most of them had zero support for central command/control centers as well. Radio ruled with no support from these systems.

That should all be behind us, hopefully..

One major advantage that I saw in presentations is CCTNS will ease out state police ability to undertake AFIS searches which can be initited and completed within state level repositories, across states and national level repository hosted by NCRB in quick time electronically. It also has capabilities to integrate and access Passport systems, Immigration systems, UID, PAN databases and RBI using NSDG (National service delivery gateway) using very standardized messaging formats.

Citizen interface stands to be standardized which is a major boon - because you will be able to file petitions (procession requests), character verification, NOCs etc through internet or through CSC/eSeva - and be assured to a standard response time and push notifications as to when can you physically collect the document or what the status is.

Try going through material on http://ncrb.nic.in/CCTNS.htm - they are open to public commenting on what should be in/out etc as per DGs message on the site.

username changed to sinha.
you can ask for a human sounding name of your choice if you want.
Rahul.
Last edited by Rahul M on 01 Oct 2009 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Thanks very much for an extremely informative post.

Am off trying to learn more about CIPA and MCOPs. Before I ask the Bing/Google Maharaj, any links that are particularly informative?
SRoy
BRFite

Re: CCTNS deployment

Post by SRoy »

sinha wrote:Looks like CCTNS bandwagon has started rolling finally. http://www.e-pao.net/GP.asp?src=17..300909.sep09 - to my knowledge Manipur seems to be the first (non-advanced category state) which is going to get funding of 50 crores for CCTNS deployment (out of 2000 crore Kitty).
RFP will be out and final bidders will be announced on coming Monday ( 5th oct 09). Rollout time for central application is 6 months only. Ridiculous.

Might have to spend next few months in a dingy NCRB office. :(
sinha
BRFite -Trainee

Re: CCTNS deployment

Post by sinha »

SRoy wrote: Rollout time for central application is 6 months only. Ridiculous.
Is this CAS portion of CCTNS you are talking about - if it is the basic registration->Investigation->prosecution cycle with citizen interface can be done quite easily in 6 months. It will be lowest common denominator (decided by people sitting in Ivory towers as one SP mentioned) which all states will enhance anyway.
sinha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sinha »

Tanaji wrote: Am off trying to learn more about CIPA and MCOPs. Before I ask the Bing/Google Maharaj, any links that are particularly informative?
CIPA link is on the first post on this thread by Ramana - http://cipa.gov.in/ . Rough estimates suggest that 17-18% of police stations in India use CIPA.

MCOPS/eCOPS/GCOPS are all CMC product lined derived from vCOPS - I am not sure whether any public information is available except on this http://www.cmcltd.com/case_studies/e-Go ... /vcops.htm .
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

sinha wrote:States are left to device and propose what they feel like on Law and Order, Cyber crime investigation, City surveillance, Predictive crime analytics/mapping, Traffic solutions, Emergency management, Command / Control etc.
My understanding is that CIPA/CCTNS is primarily to share information regarding crimes/criminals at a national level. From what I understand about CIPA, it being an all India network information can be stored centrally and shared across the country. For example a Sub-Inspector in Haryana picks up a suspicious vehicle, and can verify whether it is a stolen vehicle say from Kerala (Kerala Police who would by then update the details of the missing vehicles). The policing aspects you mentioned essentially may vary from state to state, and so may not require such information sharing. My understanding that even the computer system used by the various police agencies in US, essentially only acts as a database of crimes and criminals.
CIPA is a standalone police station system which you may be refering to in Maharashtra.
If my understanding is correct, CIPA can also be used in a networked solution where two police forces using CIPA can share the information at ease?
I am quite sure not all Police stations are networked across Mumbai and in general Maharashtra.
A tiny state like Kerala, only got all of its police stations and police offices networked nearly 2-3 months back. Bigger states like Maharashtra,TN, AP would be taking more time.
Tanaji wrote:I thought Mumbai already had all its police stations networked? Might not be by the name of CCTNS, but I thought it was the same thing? How is this different?
I guess some sort of computerisation had started at every state police, though not in a uniform fashion. Long time back there was talk about a dedictated computer network for the police - POLNET. In Kerala even in the late 1990s the state special branch had a computer database to keep track of criminals. An SFI 'comrade' friend of mine learnt it the hard way when his passport application was rejected by the SB CID H.Q and Thiruvananthapuram. His local PS had cleared the application, but he was accused in a murder attempt at his college (in another district and town). SB CID at the H.Q was aware of this.

In the mean while...
Kerala Police have made a tie-up with the BSNL to provide them with a Closed User Group (CUG) phones. With this in place, calls between police stations and police officers is absolutely free. SMS can also be sent between mobile phones which are part of this network. The police have been instructed only to communicate (other than wireless) within themselves using this VPN. Using the 'Group SMS' feature police men across multiple stations,circles, divisions etc. can be safely alerted.

Advantages of Closed User group (CUG) (Malluspeak)
sinha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sinha »

Sachin wrote: My understanding is that CIPA/CCTNS is primarily to share information regarding crimes/criminals at a national level. From what I understand about CIPA, it being an all India network information can be stored centrally and shared across the country. For example a Sub-Inspector in Haryana picks up a suspicious vehicle, and can verify whether it is a stolen vehicle say from Kerala (Kerala Police who would by then update the details of the missing vehicles). If my understanding is correct, CIPA can also be used in a networked solution where two police forces using CIPA can share the information at ease?
Sachin,
A few clarifications - CIPA will get replaced by CCTNS based on what I am hearing. The EOI for central application and the skeletal from crime and criminal information will be opened today and I am assuming 6-8 months from now, all states who have signed MoU with MHA will get the new software.
CIPA - I am now quite certain by the deployment topology that while it is deployed with a server and database at each police station individually - there is an integration with state headquaters back and forth and to NCRB - which is not real time. And to be fair enough it would not have worked given poor connectivity - however the information with some time lag gets shared. With CCTNS that should not be the case.
Sachin wrote: The policing aspects you mentioned essentially may vary from state to state, and so may not require such information sharing. My understanding that even the computer system used by the various police agencies in US, essentially only acts as a database of crimes and criminals.
databases without analytics, sophisticated search (fuzzy, link analytics, crime mapping) & process monitoring apps only produce bunch of statistics very month. what we do with data is more important than just creating CRUD-y apps. Note that in US for example you will see proliferation of case investigation softwares which do all this and more usually deployed as a given for investigation offices. e.g. i2, Jade investigator...
Sachin wrote: A tiny state like Kerala, only got all of its police stations and police offices networked nearly 2-3 months back. Bigger states like Maharashtra,TN, AP would be taking more time.
GoI is bankrolling states with standardized State wide area networks (SWANs) and State Data Centers (SDCs) in preparation for state wide and national eGov apps. So at max we would look at another 2-3 months when this is completely done based on the dates I remember in RFPs for SDCs and SWANs.
Sachin wrote: In the mean while...
Kerala Police have made a tie-up with the BSNL to provide them with a Closed User Group (CUG) phones. With this in place, calls between police stations and police officers is absolutely free. SMS can also be sent between mobile phones which are part of this network. The police have been instructed only to communicate (other than wireless) within themselves using this VPN. Using the 'Group SMS' feature police men across multiple stations,circles, divisions etc. can be safely alerted.
what will be really cool is that if Kerala police can now use this for more than just voice but also for data and application services. For example with a good mobility platform, you should be able to push lookout notices for criminals, lost vehicles, missing child, lost senior citizens with images to handhelds in a broadcast mode or even an area wide directed multicast. On the reverse side a small application on the handheld can allow police folks to query up vehicle registrations, past crime data. This communication either takes place over police radio or during day-end police station briefings.

Taking it even further this device can double up as a on the spot challan machine with an attached thermal printer in outer casing and the challan can be uploaded over the mobility platform using GPRS. The platform should support over the air wipe out in case it is lost or over air security policy enforcements. Upload crime scene photos as well to the CCTNS platform as an additional option. It is also possible over certain Tetra models but Tetra doesnt work in all types of terrains in India, I guess.

Technician's wish list - but why stop dreaming. Maybe some states will use this for incorporating in their RFPs;-)

Cheers
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

:) Since we are going to dream:

Another useful application is for the fire services (slightly OT): Firemen come to a site of a fire, perhaps an industrial complex. They dont know what sort of a fire it is or what the complex is likely to be storing. With a mobile network and a handheld, the application can query a central database that would store the hazardous materials storage licenses, and have it handy for the firemen when they are on site so they know what to expect. (Its another matter that in India one stores anything anywhere, but its a beginning).

One more application is using the CUG thingy that Sachin has mentioned. Each police van would have its own GPS, and if it updates itself regularly with the CUG members, a map can be made with the overlay of all other police vans on it. Would be useful in coordinating and response time. The police control room does this currently (we hope), but this gives more information at the ground level.

UK has ANPR vans: Automatic Number Plate Recognition systems on some police vehicles. There is a camera fitted to the vehicle that scans the number plates as the vehicles pass by, query the server over a GPRS link and if someone doesn't have insurance, correct registration (road tax) or vehicle is stolen, it beeps.. all done without user intervention. Not sure if this would work in India though.
sinha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sinha »

dreaming on (Before the Mods create a new thread or ask for a closure of this)...

a) Portrait building like the wii mii - but more realistic

b) Police training in situation management, emergency deployment, mission management in Virtual world or private virtual worlds (a la Forterra systems http://www.forterrainc.com/index.php/in ... -a-defense ). This can also be used for training soft skills to police. BPRD should take note... and may be invest in MMPORPG as well.

c) I saw this nice demo device for anti-naxalite combing operations - its a GPS device where each team can visually see the location of other team on the terrain map and can coordinate the combing operation. Calls can be made through the device using VHF or standard phone call. Has biometric authentication built in to prevent misuse. Unfortuanetly painting technologies for targets dont work in terrain

d) Command and control should be able to locate the patrol vehicles based on their GPS location on map finding the nearest one (Dial-100 application). You will be surprised how few of these are actually deployed currently in Indian Police. The GPS device should have ignition control being sent as part of data (probably fuel tank level also). Can replay on the map to track and retrace the path of vehicle and how may points was it truly on or off.

e) Since several cities are experimenting with City surveillance programs, they should get integrated irrespective of devices/sensors and analytics software at CnC so that standard SOP kicks on alarm against an operating threat level (like in UK).

f) Use of video surveillance for traffic control - video analytics for left baggage detection, wrong side motoring, illegal parking, crossing red lights, counting crowd numbers in large events, counting cars/vehicles at crossing and auto publishing real time traffic stats on website (or better deliver to me on my handheld if I pre-register at known monitoring points).

g) allowing me to submit intelligence info anonymously...

i) complete cybersecurity toolkit

j) FSL integration in investigation workflow and FSL automation so that sending samples and getting results is seamless and less time consuming. There are some awesome FSL automation softwares available now which interface with most of the instruments.
sinha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sinha »

one more
a) Geo Fence violation when doing prisoner escort or cash escorts. Same can be done for procession violating route through video analytics - (VIP escort I couldnt care less).

b) Handheld device for biometric identity varification - ideally multi-modal - the watchlist can be loaded on the device - the device can do face recognition, fingerprint verification, iris/retina scan against the stored watchlist then and there. Have seen some of these used albiet a bit differently in Football stadium when turnstile system where monitored for hooligans as an experiment. Dont know whether it was ever put in practical use.

c) Prison call monitoring systems. Instead of jamming calls, intercept and listen.

d) I dont know how they do it now - but there are solutions which interface with systems of multiple service providers and provide complete network surveillance to law enforcement agencies. apart from providing cell location, and other call setup data identifiers, it can decode SMS, deconstruct Fax, recounstruct GPRS/Edge sessions, intercept CRI and correlate call contents. Playback and transcription also for call sessions. Police does not have to approach agencies, they can snoop and monitor as and when they feel like because these are getting recorded anyway transparently. It can be filtered as well. Maybe more useful for Intel than police.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Sinha,

Regarding point d: For GSM at least, the standards provide for a Li interface. This interface is pretty much standardized these days, and usually delivers the output over IPSec. Every service provider by law has to provide a Legal Intercept Gateway that talks to the Li interface at one end, and the other end is the output in whatever form the Intel/Police guys want. Decoding happens at the LIG.

Some countries have a secure connection running from the LIG to their headquarters (or wherever). They have a API to the LIG that will intercept based on an phone number, a IMSI or a IMEI. In fact, in such a setup, equipment is devised such that even the provider has no idea who or what is intercepted. The only thing that prevents the police from doing a blanket intercept is the capacity of the LIG and the impact it has on the main switch...

Again way OT.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

Tanaji wrote::) Since we are going to dream:

Another useful application is for the fire services (slightly OT): Firemen come to a site of a fire, perhaps an industrial complex. They dont know what sort of a fire it is or what the complex is likely to be storing. With a mobile network and a handheld, the application can query a central database that would store the hazardous materials storage licenses, and have it handy for the firemen when they are on site so they know what to expect. (Its another matter that in India one stores anything anywhere, but its a beginning).

One more application is using the CUG thingy that Sachin has mentioned. Each police van would have its own GPS, and if it updates itself regularly with the CUG members, a map can be made with the overlay of all other police vans on it. Would be useful in coordinating and response time. The police control room does this currently (we hope), but this gives more information at the ground level.

UK has ANPR vans: Automatic Number Plate Recognition systems on some police vehicles. There is a camera fitted to the vehicle that scans the number plates as the vehicles pass by, query the server over a GPRS link and if someone doesn't have insurance, correct registration (road tax) or vehicle is stolen, it beeps.. all done without user intervention. Not sure if this would work in India though.
The CCTNS project includes Emergency Response System and Integrated Traffic Management System. Both these are GPS enabled and integrated with backend GIS servers.
Last edited by SRoy on 05 Oct 2009 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
sinha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sinha »

Thanks Mate, that was pretty informative. Maybe some of these technologies may be on display at Indesec - am planning to go check it out.
sinha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sinha »

SRoy,
Is every state and UT getting same money for CCTNS deployment - doesnt make sense. See http://www.morungexpress.com/frontpage/34619.html - seems confusing?
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

sinha wrote:SRoy,
Is every state and UT getting same money for CCTNS deployment - doesnt make sense. See http://www.morungexpress.com/frontpage/34619.html - seems confusing?
No.

Every state and UT will be required to float their individual tenders for selecting Software Development Agency (SDA).

The individual RFPs will contain the customizations and functional requirements from the centrally defined application landscape for each of the state/UT.

For each state all N CAS functions or N - x or N + x.

So, the application features * state size/population (that determines no. of police stations) will be basis for funding.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

Was at NCRB today to attend the CCTNS pre-bid kick-off conference. CCTNS development will likely to start from Feb-Mar 2010.
sinha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sinha »

SRoy - Is it going to be brand new system or a copy-paste-enhance of CIPA? you said 6 months to completion, which means it will be lucky to see a rollout in any state by 2011 march in any state.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

sinha wrote:SRoy - Is it going to be brand new system or a copy-paste-enhance of CIPA? you said 6 months to completion, which means it will be lucky to see a rollout in any state by 2011 march in any state.
RFP says 'best practices' from the CIPA system to be incorporated in the brand new system.

Yup, 2011 Mar. MHA is dead sure, or else the project rolls into the next 5 year plan and few cops and babus will get whipped.
Ameet
BRFite

Post by Ameet »

Interesting program started in Mexico. Would be interesting to see the results and if it could be implemented in India

Mexico City puts 1,300 overweight police on a diet

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_odd_cops_on_diets

Some Mexico City cops are taking a bite out of more than crime. The Mexican capital is putting its 1,300 of its heaviest police officers on a diet, concerned about rapidly expanding waistlines in the force.

At least 70 percent of the 70,000-member force is overweight, said Nora Frias, the city's Public Safety deputy secretary for citizen participation. The diet program will start with the officers with the most serious weight-related health problems.

"We can't tell them, 'Don't eat sandwiches and tacos,'" Frias said. "What we can tell them is if you eat one sandwich today, if you eat three tacos today, then balance it with some vegetables."

She said officers will be given blood and cholesterol tests to determine a personalized diet plan for each.

Mexico is quickly catching up with the United States as one of the world's fattest countries, according to the Mexican government. Nearly half of Mexico's 110 million people are overweight, and the number of fat children has climbed 8 percent a year over the last decade.
Rahul Mehta
BRF Oldie

Post by Rahul Mehta »

About how corruption in IPS, junior policemen can be reduced in India

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 23#p759223

(I post in those threads, as many anti-RM elements do not want me to disturb these clean threads)
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

A Touching Moment - Punjab Police

Suyogv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Suyogv »

Where Can I find more information on National Police day? (Preferably on govt site) so I can add it on Wikipedia.
sinha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sinha »

Suyogv wrote:Where Can I find more information on National Police day? (Preferably on govt site) so I can add it on Wikipedia.
The notification was issued by MHA in 2005 - You can find it here http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=13079&kwd=
It mentions why this day was chosen - CRPF men fought better armed Chinese army till they were overpowered.

The ceremonies etc held at state level can be googled.

For some reason, it is referred to as "Police commemoration Day" informally as well.

A critique of what happens on this day can be found at http://www.humanrightsinitiative.org/pr ... al_day.pdf

Cheers
sinha
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Indian Police Reform/Mega City Policing

Post by sinha »

Does any forum member know whether any of the 7 cities have actually implemented any CCTV/Video surveillance under the Mega City Policing Plan which MHA has been funding and given approx 200+ crores so far from 2005-2006?

Cheers