BRFite

Location: Junction of Kashmir Highway and Shakarparian road, Slumabad
Last page of previous thread

Post subject: Re: Indian IT Industry
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015 15:59 
BRFite

Rishirishi wrote:
Our company outsourced SAP and is now on the recieving end. They have just realizeed the real costs :rotfl:

But discussion has already started to move out of SAP. what if any options are there?? Everyone seems to be thinking of could.

There are options. I had a look at an interesting product last week. It is quite SDRE but looks good for some situations (the presenter mentioned some operator count like <20 and manufacturing industries which have used the product. It has tight integration with some quality frameworks and helps there. Has a team working on it for about 15 years and doing well enough to remain in business. Can also customized to needs).
In any case, my personal opinion about ERP is that there is nothing called off-the-shelf solution in this field. One has to customize (heavily to be of real use) to make it fit the needs of the organization. Else it is a failure as the organization is expected to fit into the expectations of the software leading to a classical change management nightmare.
So, move carefully step by step and not expect every problem to be solved just because something has been installed and is accessible.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015 16:28 
BR Mainsite Crew

SAP comes from oldish IBM type school of enterprise software once they get into a big corporate it is difficult to get rid of them because initial investment is huge and their package is not very open to talk to other applications in the enterprise system , so you have to rely on other SAP products to talk to SAP's ERP suite.

Anyways days of monopoly are over , now enterprises are gradually moving to subscription based software mostly hosted on cloud big fish like Oracle, SAP and IBM are already trying to adapt to the new market , slow adapters will perish in the churn.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015 19:01 
BRFite

ERP vendors discourage customization in two ways
1. Cost
2. Schedule
The reason in my view is that a customized solution does not work as well as a plain vanilla one (the legacy mentioned by negi, not-designed-to-change-much etc being among the top). They do promote "best-practices" for verticals which work very well with less (limits are narrow and defined by them) or no change. That is where the organization is forced to suit the needs of the software.

Post subject: Indian IT Industry
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015 01:03 
BRFite

IT industry growth to remain static in FY16: Nasscom
Quote:
MUMBAI: IT industry body Nasscom has forecast that the industry growth in the coming financial year would be about the same as in the current one. The association said on Tuesday that the growth would be 13% in 2014-15, and estimated that it would be between 12% and 14% in the coming year.

Quote:
Nasscom said software exports in 2015-16 would grow to $110-$112 billion from about $98.5 billion in the 2015 fiscal ending March.The overall Indian IT-BPM revenues is expected to be in the range of $165-169 billion next year, compared to $146 billion this year.

Quote:
The domestic IT-BPM sector (including hardware, e-commerce and software products) is expected to outpace the country's IT exports. It's expected to grow by 15%-17% to $55-$57 billion, compared to $48 billion in the current fiscal. The growth is expected to come from e-ecommerce and the government's push to boost technology adoption.

Quote:
The industry, which employs 3.5 million people, made a net addition of 2.3 lakh people in this fiscal. The sector's contribution to the country's GDP has risen to 9.5% from 8% last year. It contributes 38% to the country's total services exports.

Cheers Image

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015 07:46 
BRFite

rundeeTV does a spin on Infy Salary hike
The headline says "Reality Check for IT Employees as Infosys Gives 'Lowest-Ever' Salary Hike"
But the body says
Quote:
India's second largest outsourcer had hiked salaries by 6-7 per cent last year too, but expectations were running high this year as new CEO Vishal Sikka gave back-to-back 100 per cent variable payouts and out-of-turn promotions in a bid to contain a record high attrition.

Same old tricks

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015 07:57 
BRF Oldie

Quote:
India's second largest outsourcer had hiked salaries by 6-7 per cent last year too, but expectations were running high this year as new CEO Vishal Sikka gave back-to-back 100 per cent variable payouts and out-of-turn promotions in a bid to contain a record high attrition.

Truth is out... This is what I said before. PRESSTitutes earlier said that INFY employees got 100% bonus!

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015 09:41 
BRF Oldie

Location: Formulae are but tools which may guide intelligence, but can never replace it - Dupuit,Fr. engr.
165 billion - has a great ring to it :)

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2015 22:55 
BRFite

http://www.businessinsider.com/life-at-stanford-in-2015-2015-4
Not directly relevant to Indian IT industry but mind candy all the same..
Stanford CS grads and the starting pay with options..
Quote:
Big publicly traded tech companies like Facebook, Google, and LinkedIn regularly pay new hires out of Stanford a salary of between $100,000 and $150,000. In addition, those companies will offer stock grants worth $100,000 or more. Sometimes there are signing bonuses close to $25,000 (and less-established tech companies often offer top Stanford recruits much more than that).

The numbers can hit $500,000 or more. This time a year ago, Snapchat was offering Stanford graduates $100,000 to $150,000 in salary and $400,000 in stock grants vested in four years. Snapchat's offers are lighter this year; finishing students are being offered no more than $300,000 in stock.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2015 22:58 
BRF Oldie

RamaY wrote:
Quote:

Truth is out... This is what I said before. PRESSTitutes earlier said that INFY employees got 100% bonus!

My sasurji was gloating about this some months ago when the news came out. Probably a way to get us to R2I, but I am sick of hearing about how great the Indian IT industry is. My PeechaKaro experience scarred me for life.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2015 18:06 
BRFite

TCS declares bonus for employees. Wonder if that will be offset by a smaller hike for the employees.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2015 23:17 
BR Mainsite Crew

In most of these companies they also make you sign a bond i.e. if you leave within 1 year of getting the bonus you need to pay it back including the tax deduction. Moreover I heard that bonus payout amount was directly proportional to the number of years of service iow fat lards were made fatter and foot soldiers were thrown a couple of bones.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2015 13:35 
Forum Moderator

http://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the- ... way-at-ibm

IBM cutting 26% since Jan. some of their HR practices are interesting to say the least.