Ancient Egyptian machining tech?

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Ancient Egyptian machining tech?

Post by Cain Marko »

[youtube]https://youtu.be/QzFMDS6dkWU?si=2jNH7NnsopsmBFQh [/youtube]

Is this for real? I have very little knowledge about machining, tolerances and such, and I rarely post here.

But, this video series caught my attention because of the historical implications of might have.

The premise is that ancient Egyptian granite artifacts attributed to pre dynastic Egypt (pre old kingdom..circa 3000+ BC) is something that is truly special and anachronistic. Note that later similar artifacts by later dynasties are much more crude.

Essentially the claim that there is no way that these granite vases were built by hand tools (which is what's attributed to that era) or even rudimentary machine tools.

From what I gather the extraordinariness lies in the lack of variation in the vase walls, symmetry, shape etc. the variances in uniformity / precision are staggering. A comparison to a modern marble vase made using a computer controlled lathe, shows similar precision but remains a far simpler task than what those ancient Egyptian were doing.

Folks in the videos comments section seem to be with considerable experience in machining for Hi-Tech industries including aerospace and insist that this is truly incredible.

Can any engineering, cnc machinist types shed some light here?

Be warned it is a longish video and needs to be watched almost fully. There are timestamps
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Re: Ancient Egyptian machining tech?

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

Sorry to do this but maybe this could have been put in an existing thread, Cain-ji.

IB4TL