South India River Water Issues/Disputes

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

KarthikSan wrote: Nair Saar....just look at some of the posts in this thread. I don't know where Raju is from but I have a strong belief that he is from KA. He compares Tamilnadu to Pakistan. That is the deepest insult for any self respecting Indian. Dileep saar compares TN to Nazi Germany. Why should I think they all love us? I did not manufacture anything. I just reacted to their posts.
I agree insensitive stuff is flung around lightly in nukkad, but object to those people, dont generalize. "Generalize only when it comes to anti-Indian forces" is the hypocratic oath I try to follow. :P
As for Shobana and Kamal its up to them to act in whatever language they like. Maybe mallu directors should quit making run of the mill masala type movies and offer roles that fit their caliber :wink:
A few years back, I would have laughed at you for joking about the quality of malayalam movies, but now all I can do is to boo at you for hitting us when we are down. :D Things are perking up a bit nowadays however. But Kamal, I dont understand why he is not biting.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

In an attempt to clear the muddied waters a little bit ;-) I suspect Dileep's comment is directed at the political makeup in TN. The blind fan following of the thalaivar or the thalaivathi :twisted: . Mallus along with Bongs have been labelled commies en-masse even when at least Mallus do vote the left front out to bring the center-of-nowhere front at every election. So why are others complaining now. :P

hnair, has Kamal made any good movie since 'Nayakan' ? I liked parts of 'He Ram' but then he goes on a tangent too often for my tastes.
KarthikSan
BRFite

Post by KarthikSan »

Bade wrote:hnair, has Kamal made any good movie since 'Nayakan' ? I liked parts of 'He Ram' but then he goes on a tangent too often for my tastes.
Have you seen 'Thevar Magan' 'Mahanadhi' 'PKS' 'Thenali' etc? He has acted in tons of good movies after 'Nayakan'
Raju

Post by Raju »

TN locked in a Cauvery water war with Karnataka

CNN-IBN

Published on Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 16:09 in Nation section

Tags: Tamil Nadu, Karnataka , New Delhi
E-mail this report | Print this report

New Delhi: After battling Kerala on the Mullaperiyar issue, Tamil Nadu is now locked in a water war with Karnataka. (fighting with all neighbours)

Protests have broken out in Bangalore over the controversial Hogenakkal Fall Water Project on River Cauvery.

Kannada Rakshana Vedike activists are forcing theaters to stop screening Tamil films.

The protests follow Tamil Nadu Chief Minster, M Karunanidhi's recent comment that he will go ahead with the project at any cost. He has also asked the Centre to remove all hurdles in the way of the project.
Karunanidhi's comments came after Karnataka BJP leader, B S Yedurappa led a delegation to Hogenakkal. The BJP wants the project to be declared illegal.

Karunanidhi also said, "Karnataka politicians have threatened to burn our buses. But we will go ahead with the project even if they break our bones. They are doing it for their narrow political interests."

The Rs 1,300 crore project is expected to supply water to the districts of Dharmapuri and Krishnagiri.

Sharing of Cauvery water has been a major issue of contention between Tamil Nadu and Karnataka for decades.
KarthikSan wrote:Nair Saar....just look at some of the posts in this thread. I don't know where Raju is from
Cheran Puli 'Sengottuvan'
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

KarthikSan wrote:Have you seen 'Thevar Magan' 'Mahanadhi' 'PKS' 'Thenali' etc? He has acted in tons of good movies after 'Nayakan'
I did see Thevar Magan a long while back. There are better movies of his I have seen than that one. The rest in your list I have not seen. From a Bollywood hater I have converted to a lover to such an extent that I do not even watch the current crop of mallu movies filled with mindless crime and convoluted dialogues.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Raju wrote: After battling Kerala on the Mullaperiyar issue, Tamil Nadu is now locked in a water war with Karnataka. (fighting with all neighbours)
Raju, what is your understanding of the Hoganekkal Water Issue ?
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Raju wrote:
SwamyG wrote:What's up with KA and TN, fighting always over some darn thing! Is the issues "created" by the politicians or are there real underlying issues? Why are there protests for a water project inside TN near Hogenkal?
TN is like Pakistan .. they are always fighting with their neighbours for one thing or the other. The motto esp in case of water is 'whatever is mine is mine' and 'whatever is yours is also mine'. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Raju, Stealing from neighbors (power, water, electricity, taxes) and the rest of the country is a DELHI TRAIT.. Why most folks in delhi steal power and water from the utility , a personal /micro level thing of what delhi does from the rest of the country and surrounding states! .

Sorry to say this, but it is actually Karnataka which has problems with ALL its neighbors bar none, it has problems with Maharashtra (Belgaum), with TN (river waters, Hogenekal border), with Andhra (Krishna waters, Almatti dam, enclaves) and Kerala (Kasaragod..and river water)..

TN to a large extent wants to just preserve the traditional level of agriculture in the Thanjavur delta regions.. something that existed for millenia .. As for Kerala, the entire Periyar thing is bogus.. Thekkadi exists because of the Periyar dam.. Kerala gets a lot of tourism and other revenue out of it. Otherwise, nothing there, except wilderness.. Periyar water irrigates Theni, Madurai and Didigul districts in TN.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Periyar water irrigates Theni, Madurai and Didigul districts in TN.
That is the diverted water as per some British inspired agreement which Justice Iyer did a post-mortem in the week some time last year. Most of the Periyar water is what flows through central kerala , at least where I am from. So Periyar based agriculture in TN (Madurai region) must be less than 100 yrs old at most. :)
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Frankly, I dont understand what the issue of taking water that flows in the state is all about. I saw Hogenekal recently, the cauvery flows there and the area belongs to TN. The surrounding area around Salem is rather dry. The project is for drinking water for people, not for farmland cultivation. Apparently the ground water contains excessive fluoride which can be harmful for one's health. So, can anyone educate me on what is wrong with a water project that dips into water flowing in your backyard is all about?
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

bala wrote:Frankly, I dont understand what the issue of taking water that flows in the state is all about. I saw Hogenekal recently, the cauvery flows there and the area belongs to TN. The surrounding area around Salem is rather dry. The project is for drinking water for people, not for farmland cultivation. Apparently the ground water contains excessive fluoride which can be harmful for one's health. So, can anyone educate me on what is wrong with a water project that dips into water flowing in your backyard is all about?
Bala,
the dispute is that KA claims the Hoganekkal area belongs to it and that since the area is disputed, TN should be claiming it as its own and go ahead with its projects over there.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

bala wrote:Frankly, I dont understand what the issue of taking water that flows in the state is all about.
That's exactly what I want all those who are taking sides based on emotion and other experiences to explain about this Hoganekkal Issue. I only see projection of one's biases or parochial interests exhibited without a learned discussion. Some kind soul may give an overview of the project ?
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Bala, if I understand the evolution of such crisis it is partly related to year to year variability of rainfall which is the source of the most of the southern rivers (no glacier melt ) and hence very seasonal.

In addition as the user base increases downstream as well as upstream between the parties in dispute, it then becomes all about who pitched the tent first in creating the larger user base and can end up accusing the other of withholding natural resources. There is no optimal resolution to this crisis than being calm and understanding of the needs of neighbors within reason.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

tsriram wrote:the dispute is that KA claims the Hoganekkal area belongs to it and that since the area is disputed, TN should be claiming it as its own and go ahead with its projects over there.
Since when is Hoganekkal claimed by Karnataka ? Has there been a dispute like Belgaum in Hoganekkal ?
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

vina wrote: Sorry to say this, but it is actually Karnataka which has problems with ALL its neighbors bar none, it has problems with Maharashtra (Belgaum), with TN (river waters, Hogenekal border), with Andhra (Krishna waters, Almatti dam, enclaves) and Kerala (Kasaragod..and river water)..

TN to a large extent wants to just preserve the traditional level of agriculture in the Thanjavur delta regions.. something that existed for millenia ...
Belgaum dispute is because Maharashtra is not ready to accept the state reorganization committe findings. Even the Mahishi report which was commissioned by the centre was rejected by Maharashtra. And karnataka is not making a serious claim on Kasargod as Maharashtra is doing in Belagaum.

Karnataka has equal rights on Cauvery as more than half the water in the river is due to karnataka. Just because irrigation was more developed in TN regions( mainly due to British arm twisting the Mysore rulers as per available documents presented in front of cauvery tribunal), it doesn't mean that they should continue to enjoy it in perpetuity. Let them shift to different crops. Why should they insist on growing three crops of paddy per year irrespective of the amount of water in the river?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Bade wrote:Bala, if I understand the evolution of such crisis it is partly related to year to year variability of rainfall which is the source of the most of the southern rivers (no glacier melt ) and hence very seasonal.

In addition as the user base increases downstream as well as upstream between the parties in dispute, it then becomes all about who pitched the tent first in creating the larger user base and can end up accusing the other of withholding natural resources. There is no optimal resolution to this crisis than being calm and understanding of the needs of neighbors within reason.
Bade, both the Bangalore Water Supply project and the Hoganekkal Water Supply Project are planned within the allocations of each State.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

I do not apologize for the Nazi comment, and I am not going to edit that post.

When a state refuses to acknowledge the threat to the lives of millions of people, for the sake of a natural resource, what else you can call them?

For everyone's information, Kerala NEVER refused to honour the water agreement. All we ask is for TN to make sure that the dam is safe, and alleviate the fear of the people. All we ask is to build a dam BELOW the existing dam AT OUR EXPENSE.

TN refuses even that, and demands the water level be raised to 142 feet. Remember, this dam is 110 years old, and built using rocks and a mixture of jaggery and lime as mortar.

Give me ONE REASON, other than PAKINESS/NAZINESS to refuse building a new dam AT OUR EXPENSE?

If the darned dam breaks, NO ONE in TN dies, but people, that includes my friends and relatives, and if luck have it, MYSELF will die.

DON'T YOU GET IT? WE WILLDIE

And people like hnair will be safe down south. So are most of the politicians. They can fly down in a helicopter and see the destruction. TN may even a chinook to get Talaivi's might up in the air to see.

That is my last post on this subject here. If someone want, you can e-mail me dileepks on the gmail system to take this offline.
Last edited by Dileep on 02 Apr 2008 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

tsriram,

thanks. But when I went to the falls area the place was clearly under TN control, river water flows there. Boundary was draw way back and legally it belongs to TN. What am I missing. Are the boundaries not clear or is this the same thing as what the Panda Pokers claim from India.
Rs 1,330 crore drinking water scheme in Dharmapuri and Krishnagiri near the Hognekal
How can anyone object to drinking water needs. This is not water for the shower or lawn or farm lands. This is crazy, lunatic behavior. If people are thirsty heck get the water from the Himalayas or wherever but having Indians go thirsty is unacceptable.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

SSridhar wrote:
tsriram wrote:the dispute is that KA claims the Hoganekkal area belongs to it and that since the area is disputed, TN should be claiming it as its own and go ahead with its projects over there.
Since when is Hoganekkal claimed by Karnataka ? Has there been a dispute like Belgaum in Hoganekkal ?
Karnataka claims that TN has "encroached" on 300 acres in the border. The heartburn really is that the tourism in Hogenekal (and better access) is from Salem and TN side. Karnataka gets next to nothing. So Karnataka wants to get a piece of the action.. That is one part. There is an island or something on the river which is disputed.

The bigger fear of the activists in Karnataka is this. If TN uses the Kaveri water to sustain the population in Krishnagiri and Salem districts, then it de facto legitimizes the award from the Kaveri tribunal, which Karnataka has refused to accept and take to court. Now even if you say no irrigation there, it creates pressure on it's own..

After all, TN opposed tooth and nail, Karnataka implementing the Kaveri water supply to Bangalore, for exactly the same reasons. We are talking about strategic options and fear of the future course of actions here. Nothing to do with the present.

The Karnataka activists are trying to preempt more future demand for Kaveri water and more importantly to degrade acceptance and implementation of the Kaveri water award.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

bala wrote:How can anyone object to drinking water needs. This is not water for the shower or lawn or farm lands. This is crazy, lunatic behavior. If people are thirsty heck get the water from the Himalayas or wherever but having Indians go thirsty is unacceptable.
TN too opposed the Cauvery drinking water plan to Bangalore for a very long time. :P
Raju

Post by Raju »

Firstly even with limited info on Hogenakkal issue, there is a proposal for 'drinking water' and 'Hydroelectric project' by TN. Often in arguments it is the drinking water project that has couched the 'hydroelectric project'. Now any hydroelectric project as per my understanding will require catchment area. When TN has in glare of all publicity increased Mullaperiyar dam height from the safe point of 136 to 'whatever level it is as present' (142 feet) then it would suffice to say that Karnataka has enough grounds to be paranoid about TN intentions going by past record alone. When the Mullaperiyar dam was being built it was a question of need, this subsequent increase was a need for greed, now it is a question of snubbing the neighbours even when enough evidence is present that raising dam height will endanger life of people downstream (in Kerala and in Travancore dist in particular) and submerge entire districts and the dam is basically very fragile and in a seismic unstable zone.

So this is the record of TN on various water issues.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

I do not apologize for the Nazi comment, and I am not going to edit that post.

When a state refuses to acknowledge the threat to the lives of millions of people, for the sake of a natural resource, what else you can call them?

For everyone's information, Kerala NEVER refused to honour the water agreement. All we ask is for TN to make sure that the dam is safe, and alleviate the fear of the people. All we ask is to build a dam BELOW the existing dam AT OUR EXPENSE.

TN refuses even that, and demands the water level be raised to 142 feet. Remember, this dam is 110 years old, and built using rocks and a mixture of jaggery and lime as mortar.

Give me ONE REASON, other than PAKINESS/NAZINESS to refuse building a new dam AT OUR EXPENSE?

If the darned dam breaks, NO ONE in TN dies, but people, that includes my friends and relatives, and if luck have it, MYSELF will die.

DON'T YOU GET IT? WE WILLDIE

And people like hnair will be safe down south. So are most of the politicians. They can fly down in a helicopter and see the destruction. TN may even a chinook to get Talaivi's might up in the air to see.

That is my last post on this subject here. If someone want, you can e-mail me dileepks on the gmail system to take this offline.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

TN too opposed the Cauvery drinking water plan to Bangalore
That is sick too.

We need national priorities set straight. Drinking water for every Indian is paramount. Next comes agriculture, then comes lawns, showers, baths.
Raju

Post by Raju »

vina wrote:
Raju wrote: TN is like Pakistan .. they are always fighting with their neighbours for one thing or the other. The motto esp in case of water is 'whatever is mine is mine' and 'whatever is yours is also mine'. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Raju, Stealing from neighbors (power, water, electricity, taxes) and the rest of the country is a DELHI TRAIT.. Why most folks in delhi steal power and water from the utility , a personal /micro level thing of what delhi does from the rest of the country and surrounding states! .
yes, when a place is invaded by all manner of shady operators from all over India and 'slam, bam, thank you mam' overnight operators such as Vina. Then it would be fair to call the trait to use and abuse the resources of another state as a 'NATIONAL TRAIT' or the trait of states from where people migrate into dilli.

As for stealing power which you have been going on for long. 36% is what the crooked stats of Reliance bijli (an oxymoron) has presented to the public. This would include factories, and overnight operators such as people like yourself and newbie dillites who have trooped in unwashed from rest of the country and hordes of illegal bangladeshis slumming it out to boot. When a small state is burdened with such customers from all over, such niggling stats of power/water theft should be overlooked imvho.

dilli then has the unenviable job of civilizing this lot. And that it has done without much complaint for past 60 years without much complaint. Now it is stressed out like anyone else and requires compassion, cohesion, loyalty.
Sorry to say this, but it is actually Karnataka which has problems with ALL its neighbors bar none, it has problems with Maharashtra (Belgaum), with TN (river waters, Hogenekal border), with Andhra (Krishna waters, Almatti dam, enclaves) and Kerala (Kasaragod..and river water)..
Kerala has no problems with Karnataka. Both states enjoy good brotherly relations.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Raju wrote:Now any hydroelectric project as per my understanding will require catchment area. When TN has in glare of all publicity increased Mullaperiyar dam height from the safe point of 136 to 'whatever level it is as present' (142 feet) then it would suffice to say that Karnataka has enough grounds to be paranoid about TN intentions going by past record alone. . . . . enough evidence is present that raising dam height will endanger life of people downstream (in Kerala and in Travancore dist in particular) and submerge entire districts and the dam is basically very fragile and in a seismic unstable zone.

So this is the record of TN on various water issues.
Raju, you are way off the mark. In the case of Mullaperiyar, the Periyar water flows downstream into Kerala and Kerala's fears regarding stability of the dam are legitimate.

In the case of Hoganekkal, the Cauvery flows downstream further into TN and there is a massive Mettur Dam (Stanley Reservoir) built in the 30s. The two cases are dis-similar.

Hoganekkal is a part of TN after the linguistic division of States in the 50s.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

SSridhar wrote:
Sridhar,

According to this issue from the Hindu - http://www.hindu.com/2008/04/02/stories ... 010400.htm the KA and TN govts did actually sit down and agree to this project.

And from this article -
http://news.webindia123.com/news/Articl ... 04499.html
Sources at forest department told UNI that, it was the 400 acre Island in the river which created the rift between two states. The age-old disagreement over making the boundary line came to the fore when the Tamil Nadu government announced its plan to beautify the area around Hogenkkal falls at a cost of Rs 1.50 crore in 2005. It also asserted that the land comes under the limits of Dharmapuri district. Subsequently, the Tamil Nadu tourism authorities started work on building bathing ghats, safety towers, illumination of the entire falls area and construction of dormitories and rest rooms. But they were stopped by the forest authorities of Karnataka government.

Meanwhile, former Chief Minister N Dharam Singh, who took objection to the plan of Tamil Nadu decided to refer the issue to the Centre for settlement. Former Deputy Chief Minister M P Prakash asserted that Hogenkkal falls belonged to the state legally and morally and alleged that the neighbouring states claim to it was politically motivated. Since 1956, after the formation of the states on linguistic basis, the island remained under the control of Karnataka, which has been maintaining it, he claimed.
Raju

Post by Raju »

In the case of Mullaperiyar, the Periyar water flows downstream into Kerala and Kerala's fears regarding stability of the dam are legitimate.
Periyar originates and ends in Kerala.
Periyar which is 227 KM long is the second largest river of Kerala which originates from Sivagiri in the south east part of the district touches all the taluks of the district.
http://www.kerala.gov.in/statistical/pa ... k_shis.htm
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Ahh I am slowly learning.. apparently the following holds true..
the Union Ministry said according to the national water policy, highest priority should be given to drinking water supply schemes. So the Bangalore and Hogenakkal schemes should be considered.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Raju wrote:
In the case of Mullaperiyar, the Periyar water flows downstream into Kerala and Kerala's fears regarding stability of the dam are legitimate.
Periyar originates and ends in Kerala.
Absolutely. Hope there is no dispute there. :) My statement that from the Mullaperiyar dam, the water flows downstream into Kerala is correct.

But, the dam is operated by TN under a long lease.

I hope you now see the difference between Hoganekkal and Mullaperiyar.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

bala wrote:Ahh I am slowly learning.. apparently the following holds true..
the Union Ministry said according to the national water policy, highest priority should be given to drinking water supply schemes. So the Bangalore and Hogenakkal schemes should be considered.
Yes. and mainly because its a case of their very own livelihood, much like what Dileep is expressing for a lot of people dependant on the Kaveri. For those not directly dependant, its a case of H&D. The goons who claim they are activists on whichever side are there to whip up emotions. Like someone said a page or two back, these things should have been discussed in tribunals or under the auspices of the Union ministry for water resources. Bandying them about like this on the streets is no way to solve the issue. Though KA has not implemented the Kaveri tribunal rulings yet to my knowledge.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

tsriram wrote:
SSridhar wrote: Since when is Hoganekkal claimed by Karnataka ? Has there been a dispute like Belgaum in Hoganekkal ?
Sridhar,
According to this issue from the Hindu - http://www.hindu.com/2008/04/02/stories ... 010400.htm the KA and TN govts did actually sit down and agree to this project.

And from this article -
http://news.webindia123.com/news/Articl ... 04499.html
Sources at forest department told UNI that, it was the 400 acre Island in the river which created the rift between two states. The age-old disagreement over making the boundary line came to the fore when the Tamil Nadu government announced its plan to beautify the area around Hogenkkal falls at a cost of Rs 1.50 crore in 2005. It also asserted that the land comes under the limits of Dharmapuri district. Subsequently, the Tamil Nadu tourism authorities started work on building bathing ghats, safety towers, illumination of the entire falls area and construction of dormitories and rest rooms. But they were stopped by the forest authorities of Karnataka government.
tsriram, thanks for throwing light. So, my understanding is:
  • The Hoganekkal Falls and the island in the middle of the Cauvery at Hoganekkal are disputed even after the linguistic division of States. Hoganekkal per se is not.
  • The water being tapped from Cauvery for the Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri districts of TN are from the left bank of Cauvery well inside TN territory.
  • TN had objected to the BMWSSB water scheme from Cauvery and similarly KA had objected to the Hoagnekkal scheme earlier on
  • In 1998, there was an agreement on this. The agreement stipulates that these cannot be extra claims of Cauvery Water and should be within the State's allocations.
  • The Cauvery Water Tribunal had given its final verdict sometime in Feb. 2007 and the usage should be within the allocations.
I am therefore unable to understand where the dispute comes from. Any enlightened moderation onlee please ? TIA.
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

2007 february was interim report not final.
Raju

Post by Raju »

SSridhar wrote:tsriram, thanks for throwing light. So, my understanding is:
  • The Hoganekkal Falls and the island in the middle of the Cauvery at Hoganekkal are disputed even after the linguistic division of States. Hoganekkal per se is not
Hoganekkal itself is disputed.

http://www.outlookindia.com/pti_news.asp?id=554245
Yeddyurappa asserted that Karnataka was not against the welfare of the Tamil Nadu people but at the same time the interests of the Karnataka people should also be safeguarded.

He said as per a Government of India survey, several places occupied by Tamil Nadu in the Hogenakkal forest area should be cleared and handed over to Karnataka. The Centre should take the initiative for conducting a joint survey with both Karnataka and Tamil Nadu experts, he said.

Yeddyurappa also said his party also planned to move the Supreme Court on the Hogenakkal border dispute after discussing with legal experts.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

SSridhar wrote: I am therefore unable to understand where the dispute comes from. Any enlightened moderation onlee please ? TIA.
Its amazing that there are soo many articles in the papers and yet soo few seem to be rigorous enough to go deep into the matter and bring out the history and the reasons for the claims of each party! :evil:
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

RaviBg wrote: And karnataka is not making a serious claim on Kasargod as Maharashtra is doing in Belagaum.
:wink:
Karnataka has equal rights on Cauvery as more than half the water in the river is due to karnataka. Just because irrigation was more developed in TN regions( mainly due to British arm twisting the Mysore rulers as per available documents presented in front of cauvery tribunal), it doesn't mean that they should continue to enjoy it in perpetuity. Let them shift to different crops.

More than half part is debatable.. I dont know what the settled law is in such a cases.. more sensible would be historical flows at different stretches (upstream and downstream of tributaries) and the length in each state..

As for Thanjavur, well.. It has been an irrigated region for more than 600 years or so.. Kallanai (Stone dam) was built by Karikal Cholan.. So that is not new. Mettur Dam /Stanley came up in 1934 or so.. KRS came up in 1920s I think (not sure).. or maybe before that even , given Sir Vishweshwariah's contributions to it (one of the greatest sons of Karnataka in my opinion). I doubt anyone could argue given that KRS came up before Mettur, that TN armtwisted Karanataka in building irrigation.. Anyways, I am not the expert here, could well be wrong.
Why should they insist on growing three crops of paddy per year irrespective of the amount of water in the river?
Now you are talking rational sensible stuff. To add to your question , why use methods unchanged for 5000 years (flooding of paddy fields).. why not other more water saving methods, why not change crop patters.. all very pertinent. the question is not just for TN , but for Karnataka as well.Karnataka was to increase acerage of sugarcane and paddy!..

Same problem in Western Maharasthra as well with it's sugar lobby (sharad pawar) and huge use of water.

However, all that requires political will, ability to take on lobbies and vested interests and fight for overall good. That is close to impossible to do in a political system like ours...

Actually Kallanai is older than I thougth.. Check out Kallanai or Grand Anicut ..

This was one of the reasons the Chola kingdoms were the super power /regional hegemon of those days and spread infleunce and wielded power all the way upto Cambodia/Indonesia / Burma/Sri Lanka etc.., not to talk of neighboring states in India.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Raju wrote:
Hoganekkal itself is disputed.
Anything can be disputed. Channai and Bangalore are also disputed. Even if TN taps the water further away, there can be dispute.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

vina wrote: More than half part is debatable.. I dont know what the settled law is in such a cases.. more sensible would be historical flows at different stretches (upstream and downstream of tributaries) and the length in each state..
Unfortunately, there isn't much settled law. From the article on Indus Water Treaty that was in BR:
Should a riparian state have absolute sovereignty over the waters or should it share it equitably with other riparian states has been a question that has dogged a number of nations that have rivers and other water bodies across national boundaries. The “Harmon Doctrineâ€
Last edited by SSridhar on 02 Apr 2008 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Raju wrote:Kerala has no problems with Karnataka. Both states enjoy good brotherly relations.
:lol: :lol: ..Kasaragod is Kerala's Tawang!
Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

for the IT people here:

which of the two you think is going to be more prominent in future say 2 - 3 years down the road ?

Java or C#
Raju

Post by Raju »

Kumble is originally from Kerala's Kasargod district. that is how he occassionaly displays the martial instincts .. it creeps out once in a while when he gnashes his teeth and pushes Yousuf Yohanna and Inzi around and he puts in a 115k delivery. It is said his grandfather was from a village called 'Kumbla' in Kasargod. But it is diluted by his Kannada instincts that forces him to to be too kind to everyone. Like Javagal Srinath who used to say sorry after a bouncer.

this can be compared to the the ideal characteristic which is exhibited so nicely by Sreesanth.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Raju wrote:Kumble is originally from Kerala's Kasargod district....

this can be compared to the the ideal characteristic which is exhibited so nicely by Sreesanth.
Kumble is all Bangalorean. Just because some ancestor from Kumble gave him that last name doesn't mean anything. It like me pretending to be from Kumbakonam where none of my family have been even living there for 4 generations..

We Bangaloreans have the famous reserve.. mostly goody goody, law abiding, nice, well behaved, polished, civilized in thought and speech, but have the spine and will show the steel when needed..

Very markedly different from Dilli I should say.. all show and aggro,scant respect for the law, largely foul mouthed, but little actual spine.. All very hit and miss ...like Sehwag..