Indian IT Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SRoy
BRFite

Re: Indian IT Industry

Post by SRoy »

^^

Thankfully, I stayed with product development group in a godforsaken unit in the Deutschland gorilla's jungle, despite temptations from desi sweatshops.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

pandyan wrote:btw, it is so convenient to get an ear stud in the us. just go into any mall: pick, clean, load, release...boom you have an earring.
we were actually in the shop for our daughter's...they had some very good deal. so on a whim, i got mine pierced too. :lol:
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

its the same everywhere , takes 5 mins to do that in india
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Ear rings are a part of Indian culture , kshatriyas used to wear kundals(ear rings) all the time. All the males in my family had their ear lobes pierced when they were kids , my uncle still wears a gold ear ring. I myself wore one for some time . As per village folk piercing ears have health benefits, I did not enquire much on this aspect.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

Agile is the way to go for S/W industry to survive in India. The time for "Big budget & banner" releases are surely over. Lot of guys in US are noticing the failures

Nowadays I feel that many projects which I did early in my career could have been much more successful if I had followed Agile. Interestingly I started of something similar to Agile at the start of my career (3 years) and my brief stay of 2 years in US. Its like you get a small req and you complete that in a week. Only after coming back to India, I saw a true blooded waterfall projects with Value, Commit, GoNoGo etc

Most of the projects that I know from then until now failed, failing and will fail. Needless to say, they are all waterfall

I try to follow Agile and also try to educate others to convert them to same. Most of them are "infidels" to Agile. Always have a suspicion of time taken for Agile projects. Interestingly they are not ready to understand even when project after project fails due to the same reason of non-conformity to User reqs, defects and undeveloped features
member_28640
BRFite

Post by member_28640 »

symontk wrote:Agile is the way to go for S/W industry to survive in India. The time for "Big budget & banner" releases are surely over. Lot of guys in US are noticing the failures

Nowadays I feel that many projects which I did early in my career could have been much more successful if I had followed Agile. Interestingly I started of something similar to Agile at the start of my career (3 years) and my brief stay of 2 years in US. Its like you get a small req and you complete that in a week. Only after coming back to India, I saw a true blooded waterfall projects with Value, Commit, GoNoGo etc

Most of the projects that I know from then until now failed, failing and will fail. Needless to say, they are all waterfall

I try to follow Agile and also try to educate others to convert them to same. Most of them are "infidels" to Agile. Always have a suspicion of time taken for Agile projects. Interestingly they are not ready to understand even when project after project fails due to the same reason of non-conformity to User reqs, defects and undeveloped features
Nowadays its the customers who demand that we shift to Agile for better returns and lower IT time.
Left to myself I would prefer Shift Left. Has the added advantage of working just about anywhere (using it in Product development too)
But hey anything that works should be fine.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Netz is in process of shifting all development projects into agile mode.
the first gen of agile projects here is ongoing.

good developers were already doing agile , but this time even devtest is brought on board early.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

^GD Pls post your experiences.. good/bad/ugly...

Currently I am coaching four teams.
2/3 of my previous teams rated (anonymous survey) 4.2/4.3 on a 5pt scale standing in top 5 agile teams in entire org (~200 teams).

My general observation is - even those overt anti-ritualists do things (the protests, i mean) ritually :mrgreen:
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

Picklu wrote:On Coffee, I am with Yogi_G, anything less than 20% Chicory is not worth drinking.

That tattoo on my right arm is mostly mid life crisis though ... sala, Harley costs too much :evil:
Is it on the right bicep? If it is in India/Bangalore where did you get it done?
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

^^^ Right arm. Easier to flaunt 8)

Got it in US before R2I.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

What really is Agile and how does it work?

Could you give me small summary without having to read a bunch of gobblygoop.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

relating to or denoting a method of project management, used especially for software development, that is characterized by the division of tasks into short phases of work and frequent reassessment and adaptation of plans.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

But isn't that how software is usually written?

I don't understand what's so special about it.
subhamoy.das
BRFite

Post by subhamoy.das »

The only real difference between agile and water fall is the validation approach. That is why you need great test automation to go agile. Even a single code check in to the product should run some validation. So in essence agile turns software engineering from a "content authoring" business process to a "machine building" business process.
bhavani
BRFite

Post by bhavani »

Again a bunch of Ex US employees have sued Infosys claiming that they were discriminated against by INdian employees by speaking in English.

I know that lot of Indians speak Hindi in offices, but so do spanish employees, chinese, Vietnamese. when ever somebody finds a compatriot from their country they speak in their languages.

I feel that goras feel bad about working in any company other than American. I have heard Americans complain about Japanese companies, Korean firms, and Indian firms. They only don't complain much about Other white held firms like German firms like BMW, SAP etc. I think most of the times it is their own racial discrimination speaking out.

http://deccan-journal.com/content/ameri ... -infosys-0
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Wipro inks $1.1bn IT deal with ATCO; buys subsidiary for $195m
Wipro has entered into a multi- million dollar dual pact with ATCO through which India's third largest software services company will provide a complete suite of outsourcing solutions to the Canadian firm as well as acquire its IT services arm.

The Bangalore-based firm on Friday said it signed a series of Master Services Agreements with ATCO under which Wipro will acquire ATCO's IT subsidiary for an all-cash consideration of CAD 210 million ($195 million or over Rs 1,176 crore). The sale is expected to be completed in the third quarter of 2014.

Besides, Wipro has also secured a 10-year IT deal with ATCO for providing outsourcing services, which will result in annual revenues of over CAD 120 million ($112 million or over Rs 675 crore) for Wipro for the next 10-years.

Alberta-based ATCO Group is one of Canada's premier corporations. As a $16 billion enterprise with more than 9,800 employees, ATCO Group is engaged in structures and logistics, utilities, energy and technologies.

As part of the alliance, Wipro will provide outsourcing solutions, including infrastructure management and application development and maintenance, to ATCO in Canada and Australia for 10 years up to December 2024.

“The arrangement is projected to result in revenues of over CAD 120 million ($112 million or over Rs 675 crore) to Wipro annually...We have traditionally had a strong position in the Utilities space in Europe and this engagement provides momentum to our business in Canada and Australia,” Wipro Chief Executive (Energy, Natural Resources and Utilities) Anand Padmanabhan said.

In 2011, Wipro Technologies had acquired the global oil and gas IT practice of Science Applications International Corporation for an all cash deal of about $150 million.
Is this the first billion dollar IT deal!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

no. TCS has a few.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

bhavani wrote:Again a bunch of Ex US employees have sued Infosys claiming that they were discriminated against by INdian employees by speaking in English.

I know that lot of Indians speak Hindi in offices, but so do spanish employees, chinese, Vietnamese. when ever somebody finds a compatriot from their country they speak in their languages.

I feel that goras feel bad about working in any company other than American. I have heard Americans complain about Japanese companies, Korean firms, and Indian firms. They only don't complain much about Other white held firms like German firms like BMW, SAP etc. I think most of the times it is their own racial discrimination speaking out.

http://deccan-journal.com/content/ameri ... -infosys-0
speculative lawsuits to take advantage of the -ve vibes against infy.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

ChandraV wrote:
Neshant wrote:What really is Agile and how does it work?

Could you give me small summary without having to read a bunch of gobblygoop.
Please let me know your questions on the below, I will clarify as best as I can:
Thank you.

So from what I gather, Agile is getting the customer to validate what is being built as its built.

Yea that's a pretty good strategy presuming the customer knows what he wants, knows what he's talking about when he describes what he wants and does not go off on a tangent demanding a million features for the agreed upon price.

In the latter case, you gotta dump on him what you can reasonably do within the said amount of time and get outta there - with great agility.
Santosh
BRFite

Post by Santosh »

We are adopting a Kanban methodology since it is more Agile than Scrum :rotfl:
Anyway, the real value of Agile comes from doing it right, not just doing stuff to check the box. And doing it right <> doing it per textbook.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

So I lie in wait working on improving my domain knowledge, code knowledge and process knowledge in this new job of mine. Quite some Chinese descent employees working in bay area are writing stinker after stinker for the smallest of mistakes from my team's side. one day I shall be strong enough to reply and reply HARD! The MKI shall wreck the MKK then.
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

MediaTek's R&D centre rises in Bangalore

India is always a place for VLCC research. By 2018, we may get fabs and after that real Electronic HW revolution starts in India.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ From what i heard, its just being used as a backend( Physical Design/layout) implementation centre for now ( similar to what most semicos are doing) and design part being kept in Taiwan/US.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

A data point for those interested...

I observed that the real average productivity of a developer engineer is about 95-100hrs per 4 weeks. This is in product development area. That is 25hrs/week. The remaining 15hrs go for research, meetings and what not...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

thats a very high number sir. I would put it as 12 hrs/week of real work.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

RamaY wrote:A data point for those interested...

I observed that the real average productivity of a developer engineer is about 95-100hrs per 4 weeks. This is in product development area. That is 25hrs/week. The remaining 15hrs go for research, meetings and what not...
Sounds about right. At our company, we budget 5 productive hours/day for a programmer (or at best 5.5 hours), which works out to 25 hours/week.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

In a 8 hour day 1 hour goes in lunch, another 1 hour for tea and pee breaks so that leaves 6 hours in a day. Throw in a daily stand up call of 30 minutes and we have the 5.5 hour figure on paper. Sincere guys might put in that kind of effort on a daily basis but imho average joe only puts about 3-4 hours of actual effort (a lot of time is lost in checking emails and then people do surf/read/watch whatever they want to in office). Scary as it may sound but imo in medium to big teams productive hours would hover around 15 hours per person per week. Small teams that have short term goals which are well defined might be able to show higher productivity figures as things are finalized and frozen early.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

Heard on Grapewine, that routerzilla is going to celebrate Diwali, Bakrid and Good Friday together, lot of heads are going to roll, any news?
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Singha wrote:thats a very high number sir. I would put it as 12 hrs/week of real work.
I agree, it depends on team composition.

This data is average from about 20+ agile teams over a period of time developing cutting edge business s/w product.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Negi
In massa lunch is not counted in those eight hour workday. So lot of people eat a quick sandwich while reading email or such (at least they are supposed to). The time for sub-contractors (while hourly works out in most companies to double the calculated rate of their employees) are expected to and usually do work those eight hours (probably over a ten hour elapsed and hence all that coming home late from work etc.).
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Sir I was giving a break up of 8 hours otherwise practically speaking everyone spends more than 8 hours in office I mean in India in ITVTY people stay back till 8 pm (munnas even beyond that for high speed internet and free dinner) but then time spent in office is not same as productive work , 8 hours is industry standard for a day's billing so I was trying to put in average joe's figures my point being in any company imo majority of the people are only productive for at most 3-4 hours a day ,this figure is outside of meetings/emails/calls otherwise there are many who spend at least 3-4 hours on daily basis on calls alone.

To be brutally honest in Massa there is no incentive for staying late in office , here bachelors stay back for they have a nice facilities , they beat the traffic by waiting in office until 8 or even 9 and then we in general are not early birds like in Massa , the majority are in their seats by 10 and not 8:30/9 which is the case in Massa .

Productivity is also harder to measure in SW industry to substantiate say a piece of code can be written in 8 hours , now when the same is to be assigned to someone in the team contractor/employee and he/she estimate the effort as 16 hours now if you allow that person to have an extra day for the same code and if he/she deliver that work within the stipulated period technically speaking they are 100% productive , in real life what happens is one will prepare some high level spec in couple of hours on first day and while away rest of the day in tea breaks and then make a last moment dash on the second day to finish the deliverable.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

^ Negiji

Additional info about the study.
- All the code counted in the data is from fully tested & business accepted stories only.
- While the hours counted are of developers only, the overall effort went into story acceptance included testing, documentation, release engg, product manager, project mgmt etc.,

For example a 5 Dev team may have minimum 2 dedicated testers, part time architect, prod.mgr, doc writer, project.mgr, release engineer etc., But only hours logged by the developers were counted to make these metrics. This is done so because different agile teams have different ratios of Dev to other SMEs.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

I thought ITVity TCS type munnas in India worked 18 hours a day :rotfl:
Or at least that's what my cousin told me in a gloating tone some years ago.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

work is typically cyclical for me. scoping, req gathering, design, build, go live and post go live are all phases where work goes up and down. it usually balances out for me.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

If I have less work, My top manager will find something for me to "waste" my time on and make it appear as if without it, MoM mission might fail.
Once the lean period is over, So is the mission critical effort which moves onto next munna who is having lean period like monsoon water flowing from J&K into Bakistan..and the cycle continues.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

matrimc wrote:Negi
In massa lunch is not counted in those eight hour workday. So lot of people eat a quick sandwich while reading email or such (at least they are supposed to). The time for sub-contractors (while hourly works out in most companies to double the calculated rate of their employees) are expected to and usually do work those eight hours (probably over a ten hour elapsed and hence all that coming home late from work etc.).
Even in India, the one hour for lunch is over and above the 08 hour / day work shift.
SanjayC
BRFite

Post by SanjayC »

^^^ In my company, it is 9 hour workday (8 hours work plus one hour to account for lunch, tea breaks, bathroom use, water cooler conversations, etc.). Most companies now follow this.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

^^^ Sir, its the Law. I think its in the Companies Act (or may be some other).
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I thought 8% was already announced + excluding bottom 5% which are also halal this yr
but there is another possibility of more after the 8%....not sure if thats also on cards.