Swine Flu Monitor for India

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Re: Swine Flu Monitor for India

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Biju Shethji, Shuryatji and Shivji,

In the interest of keeping the thread focussed (as thread originator), I would like this discussion of NRIs to stop NOW. Thank you.

I know Shiv is responding to (and I agree with his assessment) that he was bought into this. Now he has clarified, we can move on.

Having said that, it is true that this issue has global underpinnings and hence has to be little tolerant of scope creep beyond India. In that sense discussion is OK to an extent.

I just wanted to note that the rate of casualities has gone down during the last 24-36 hours. Hope we are getting a grip. I also wish/hope to see this thread move to the background by mid next week.

People must help tackle drought, swine flu: President

Even President of India mentions drought before flu.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Err...The toll is 21 and not 24..says the goverment.

India's swine flu toll goes down, not up!
PUNE/NEW DELHI: In a bizarre turn of events, India's official death toll from H1N1 went down on Friday despite two people dying due to swine flu during the day. That's because a trigger-happy administration had wrongly ascribed three deaths in Pune on Wednesday and Thursday to the virus without waiting for the test results. :twisted:

At a time when every death is adding to a sense of panic in Pune, in particular, and the country at large, you would think this could not happen. But it did. Pune district collector Chandrakant Dalvi formally announced on Friday that the toll in the city was down from 15 to 12: ``The throat swab reports of the three — Gautam Shelar (48 years), Swabhiman Kamble (9 months) and Bharati Goel (70 years) — have tested negative for H1N1 influenza. Therefore, they won't be considered as casualties of H1N1 influenza. And the death toll of the H1N1 viral infection in the city has come down to 12,'' he said.

As a result, the national toll, which had officially reached 24 by late afternoon on Friday, fell to 21 by the evening, one short of the figure when the day began.
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

Well.. if these little children died in hospital of respiratory problems, despite the best medical care that could be provided, but they died of something OTHER than Pakistan Flew, what a relief!! :roll:
INDIA DEFEATS SWINE FLU. SORE THROAT DEEMED INCURABLE AND FATAL iN 2009!
Anyway, for the record, we left our Surgical Masks, Approved or otherwise, inside the bag, and crossed the Duniya. Remains 2 b seen whether that was a fatal error. A few passengers did come through the airport with masks on.

And I was treated like an ex-Rashtrapati, along with everyone else. :mrgreen:
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

This is related to (Hyd) AP region.

Swine flu: 4 more nodal centres
HYDERABAD: In an attempt to ease the pressure on Government Chest Hospital in Erragadda, the nodal centre for treatment and identification of swine flu patients, authorities have designated four area hospitals in different locations of the twin cities as screening centres.

The area hospitals in Vansathalipuram, Kondapur, King Koti and the Gandhi Hospital in Musheerabad will henceforth screen patients suffering from swine flu-like symptoms, from Saturday. This decision was taken in view of the sudden surge in the number of patients turning up at the Chest Hospital.

Doctors at these area hospitals will take a call on whether to refer any patient to the Chest Hospital for testing, sample collection and isolation.

The isolation and sample collection of identified patients, however, will be done at Chest Hospital, authorities clarified. Efforts are on to procure diagnostic kits to detect common influenza at the four area hospitals for quick diagnosis. There has been no change in the airport screening programme, authorities maintained.

The Institute of Preventive Medicine (IPM) is expected to start testing for swine flu from August 20, authorities said. “From now on, patients need not come from far off places to Chest Hospital. Depending on their locality, they can visit the above four hospitals,” State coordinator for swine flu K. Subhakar said.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

New guidelines for swine flu patients
NEW DELHI: The Centre late on Friday night issued revised guidelines for treatment of A(H1N1) influenza patients in the wake of a large number of people turning up at the hospitals for testing.

All individuals seeking consultations for flu-like symptoms should now be screened at healthcare facilities, both government and private, or examined by a doctor.

The patients have been categorised as follows:

Category A: Patients with mild fever plus cough/sore throat with or without body ache, headache, diarrhoea and vomiting. They do not require Oseltamivir and should be treated for the symptoms mentioned above. The patients should be monitored for their progress and reassessed after 24 to 48 hours by the doctor. No testing of the patient for H1N1 is required. Patients should confine themselves at home and avoid mixing with the public and high risk members in the family.

Category B: (i) In addition to all the signs and symptoms of Category A, if the patient has high grade fever and severe sore throat, he/she may require home isolation and Oseltamivir; (ii) In addition to all the signs and symptoms of Category A, individuals having one or more of the following high risk conditions shall be treated with Oseltamivir: children under five, pregnant women, those above 65 years, those with lung diseases, heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, blood disorders, diabetes, neurological disorders, cancer and HIV/AIDS; Patients on long term cortisone therapy. No H1N1 tests are required for Category-B (i) and (ii). Such patients should confine themselves at home and avoid mixing with the public and high-risk members in the family.

Category C: In addition to the symptoms of Categories A and B, if the patient has one or more of the following: breathlessness, chest pain, drowsiness, fall in blood pressure, sputum mixed with blood, bluish discolouration of nails; irritability among small children, refusal to accept feed; worsening of underlying chronic conditions. Such patients require testing, immediate hospitalisation and treatment.

The guidelines were finalised after a five-hour meeting chaired by Health and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad.
These norms will be reviewed and revised from time to time as per the need and on the basis of spread of the disease.

The meeting was attended by officials of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Directorate-General of Health Services, and representatives and experts of private and public hospitals. During the meeting, various guidelines and protocols developed by the World Health Organisation, Geneva, the Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, Atlanta, United States, and the National Health Service, United Kingdom, were also discussed.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

SRoy wrote:
Shiv, what's your opinion?
You could have had swine flu or you could have had any one of the two hundred odd viruses that cause this sort of illness.

Currently swine flu is diagnosed by taking a throat swab and amplifying the genetic material in that swab to a level where the genetic material of the virus becomes detectable, proving infection. This is a great way of proving infection in the short window that the viruses are multiplying in the body before the body kills them all (usually) or complications occur (rarely).

However, the other way to find out whether you have ever suffered from any infection from any agent in the past is to detect the presence of antibodies (body defences) against that agent. So for example a person who has either been infected with or has been inoculated against hepatitis will show antibodies to that type of hepatitis.

In India at this point in time I am unaware of anyone who tests for swine flu antibodies - but I may be mistaken. I have several friends in the business who might tell me that I am wrong - and I will revert to this thread after I find out. The reason is simple - if you think you have had swine flu in the past - a blood test for swine flu antibodies should prove or disprove that.
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

If there are such things as swine flu antibodies, can they not become the basis for a vaccine?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

narayanan wrote:If there are such things as swine flu antibodies, can they not become the basis for a vaccine?
Anyone who has recovered from swine flu will have swine flu antibodies. That cannot be a vaccine - but technically the serum (liquid part of blood minus the red blood cells) of people with antibodies could be infused into people with swine flu to help them recover.

We are too early in the epidemic for this to be better known. Medical clever clogs will come up with this as a temp solution very soon - mark my words - and I am not joking. But it is easier said than done. A person with swine flu should not get HIV or hepatitis from someone else's serum.
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

That is exactly one group in IAVI ( International Aids Vaccine Initiative) is tasked with. Last week that group was all excited because they could induce HIV antibodies in healthy volunteer.

But directly taking serum from a H1N1 antibodies from a human....hmm

going back couple pages I see that

Spanish fly caused Spanish flew :wink:
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Besides the deaths in Pune, one person each has died due to the viral infection in Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Nashik, Thiruvananthapuram, Chennai, Bangalore, Raipur and Bilaspur and two in Mumbai.
The toll is up to 26 now, as per the Hindu. The virus is not only, not in control, but is dispersed in the land mass. All attempts to still control the virus is nothing but an illusion. The Government is finally allowing private hospitals to treat patients. More needs to be done. We need to empower the 1000's of practitioners and small medical centers, such as nursing homes, who act as the first line of defense, in a position to order these tests for their patients in a lab, without being quarantined in a hospital.

It will be safe to presume at this time that tens of thousands may get infected with the flu and the number of suspected cases would climb to in 6 figures, if not more. We need appropriate assets on the ground, empowered to manage such a likely scenario. The government should also invest in more public hospitals to manage H1N1 cases as the assumption that this is only a high society disease, will prove to be false. The virus will spread across the levels of society.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Just saw a news flash that the new government advisory is to stay at home, if you have mind flu symptoms and not get tested for H1N1. My problem is this sense of command and control, which does not work and is not working, instead of empowerment and enablement of the medical community and all available assets to do their jobs. My direct first had experience was the Doctors have to comply with these advisories instead of using their judgment and skills and doing their jobs.
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

Osteoporosis drugs effective in killing flu viruses

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Two existing drugs used to treat osteoporosis may be effective in killing influenza viruses, including the new H1N1 swine flu and the H5N1 bird flu viruses, researchers in Hong Kong have found.

The two drugs are pamidronate and zoledronate, which are marketed by Novartis AG under the brand names Aredia and Reclast, respectively.

In their experiment, the researchers exposed human cells that had been infected with the influenza viruses to the two drugs.

They observed that the drugs triggered extra production of a type of white blood cell called yd-T cells, which went on to kill human cells that were infected with the flu viruses.

Flu viruses can only replicate in living human or animal cells and killing infected cells would stop the viruses from replicating, the researchers said.

Professor Lau Yu-lung at the University of Hong Kong's pediatrics and adolescent medicine department described the infected human cells as "factories that will produce viruses."

"These drugs attack the viruses specifically ... This approach kills the factories that are producing viruses."

Malik Peiris, also part of the research team, said the drugs could enhance immune responses of the human body.

That was especially important as flu viruses mutate constantly, which reduces the efficacy of vaccines, he added.

The researchers plan to move next into animal and then human clinical testing.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

From Hindu:
152 more test positive for A(H1N1) influenza

Special Correspondent
NEW DELHI: With 152 people testing positive for the A (H1N1) influenza in the country in the past 24 hours, the total number of confirmed cases has gone up to 1,707.

Twenty-five people have died so far — Pune 13, Bangalore five, Mumbai two, and Ahmedabad, Chennai, Vadodara, Nashik and Thiruvananthapuram one each.

The highest number of new confirmed cases, 60, was reported from Mumbai, followed by Pune with 18, Delhi and Chennai 11 each, Coimbatore and Bangalore 10 each, Aurangabad nine, Mangalore and Ernakulam three each, Davangere, Akola and Jalna two each, and Ahmadnagar, Solapur, Latur, Nagpur, Jalgaon, Dhule, Belgaum, Hubli, Hrudalaya (Karnataka), Dibrugarh and Shimla one each.

A Central team is stationed in Maharashtra to help the State government put in place appropriate public health measures.

Of the 8,658 people examined so far, 1,707 tested positive for the flu.
This is about 20% testing positive, of the one's being tested.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Pune woman dies of swine flu, toll rises to 28
PUNE: Three women including two in Bangalore and one in Pune, died of swine flu today raising the toll in the pandemic across the country to 28
With five deaths Bangalore so far accounts for the second largest number of flu deaths after Pune, where the toll is 13.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Is the hype going down as the death rates plateau?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Swine Flu: India's unhealthy obsession
But the biggest fatality in this media-manufactured mass hysteria is common sense. Under intense pressure from a deeply irresponsible news media, the government is diverting precious resources to control the spread of a virus which, in 90% of cases, is cured without any medication at all. Roche, the Switzerland-based manufacturer of Tamiflu, has been the principal beneficiary of this panic.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Swine flu cases climb to 2,242 in the country
NEW DELHI: Swine flu continued to spread in the country with 216 people testing positive for the deadly virus, taking the total number of those afflicted with the pandemic to 2,242.

Mumbai (48) and Pune (36) topped the list of cases followed by Chennai (30) and Delhi (25).

The other cases were from Bangalore (17), Nagpur (13), Coimbatore (9), Dhule (5), Gurgaon, Nashik, Latur, Aurangabad, Rajkot (three each), Naned, Ratnagiri, Beed, Surat (two each) and Ahmednagar, Kholapur, Satara, Diburgarh, Jamnagar, Vadodara, Ahmedabad, Daman, Mangalore and Buldan (one each).

Out of the 25 cases reported from Delhi, only three cases have foreign travel history.

"11,724 persons have been tested so far out of which 2,242 are positive for swine flu. Of the 2242 positive cases, 758 have been discharged," a Health Ministry official said.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

I guess this takes the toll to 29.

7-month-old is Mumbai's third swine flu victim
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Country reports most swine flu deaths in a day: 10
NEW DELHI/BANGALORE: Swine flu caused the first fatalities in Delhi where two persons died while seven more deaths were reported in Karnataka, Gujarat and Pune today as the nationwide toll due to the deadly virus mounted to 43.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

One of the factors I have read somewhere is hot temparatures limit spread of this flu. I wonder how the situation will be in coming months as temparatures drop and in the more immediate future there will be many areas that will be wet.
VickersB
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VickersB »

Satya_anveshi wrote:One of the factors I have read somewhere is hot temparatures limit spread of this flu. I wonder how the situation will be in coming months as temparatures drop and in the more immediate future there will be many areas that will be wet.
Good point - at least in the US, they're calling for a really bad flu season this coming fall and everyone to get vaccinated for the N1H1 as a precaution (specially the children and older folk). Mr. Azad should make sure this vaccine is readily available in good quantities at clinics across India NOW, before the cold season. People should consider going to clinics and getting vaccinated ASAP.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Apart from the recommended vaccinations; there are scores of articles that talk about natural herbs and spices that improve our immunity. Some of the things that are making news are: garlic, tulsi, annasi poo {this is in tamil, in botanical name - Illicium verum ; this is a vital ingredient in Tami Flu}, neem, keezhanelli (in tamil, in hindi bhoomi-amla) are helpful.

Good luck everyone.......be healthy and happy.

I also heard Homeopathy has some medicines that can improve immunity. And people have been flocking to buy these too.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

swineflu-india.org God bless the souls, who have made this portal. Excellent job. Please spread this link far and wide.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Swine Flu Awareness Quiz

Question 1: Is the swine flu virus air borne (Does it spread by air)?
Yes No
Answer: No. The swine flu virus is not air borne. It does not spread through air. Swine flu transmits through droplets when someone sneezes directly on you or when you touch object on which the droplets have fallen and then touch your face.

Question 2: Does a mask protect you from swine flu? Is it required to wear a mask at all times?
Yes No
Answer: No. As per the WHO, a mask is not going to help you protect from swine flu. Since the virus is not airborne, a mask really does not help. However you need a mask if you are caring for a sick person. Ensure that you dispose it off immediately after use and WASH YOUR HANDS THOROUGHLY. Note: It is more important for infected persons to wear a mask.

Question 3: There is no cure for swine flu?
True False
Answer: False. Swine flu can be easily cured. In most cases patients recover without any medication. However, in case you suspect you have swine flu, it is imporant for yourself to get checked and take expert advise.

Question 4: Is TamiFlu a vaccine for swine flu?
Yes No
Answer: No. Tamiflu is not a vaccine. There is no vaccine for swine flu yet. Tamiflu is an antiviral drug used to cure swine flu. These drugs work best if started soon after infection, within 2 days of symptoms. Please Subscribe to our newsletter to stay updated with the latest news and alerts.

Question 5: You need to store TamiFlu at home in case of emergency?
True False
Answer: False. Please do not panic and store Tamiflu at home. It is dangerous to take any medication without expert advise. Tamiflu is known to have side effects and was banned by the Japanese ministry in 2007 for use on 10 to 19-year-olds after delirious behavior was observed in some children taking the drug. The ban is still in effect!

Question 6: How long can the swine flu virus be viable on objects such as books, remote controls and door knobs?
1 - 2 Hours 2 - 8 hours 1 - 2 days Forever
Answer: 2 - 8 Hours. Studies have shown that the swine flu virus can survive on environmental surfaces and can infect a person for up to 2-8 hours after being deposited on the surface. It is important to sanitize (wash) your hands thoroughly after using or touching objects accessible to others. Remember any object - keyboards, plates, telephones are all suspects!

Question 7: I can get tested for Swine Flu at any of the big hospitals
Yes No
Answer: No. The government has identified hospitals and laboratories that are certified for testing swine flu. Only a few hospitals are authorized to take swab samples. Please see List of testing centers in India for the authorized testing center, contact number and person name in your area to contact This answer if still correct, is disappointing. The above is from swineflu-india.org
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Swine Flu Vaccine Shortage Looms For Developing World
9:14 am

August 21, 2009

By Richard Knox

With August waning and an expected resurgence of swine flu on the horizon, health officials from developing countries are meeting in Beijing today. They're deeply worried about the next phase of the flu pandemic, judging from an Associated Press report.

How often will this happen for swine flu?

The WHO's director for the Western Pacific region, Dr. Shin Young-soo, told the Beijing meeting that soon many countries will see cases of swine flu double every three to four days for several months. "At a certain point, there will seem to be an explosion in case numbers," Shin says.

The most urgent problem is the paucity of swine flu vaccine for developing countries, says Dr. Keiji Fukuda, the World Health Organization's flu chief. The WHO convened the Beijing meeting.

So far two vaccine manufacturers have pledged 150 million doses of swine flu vaccine to poorer countries. But that's a drop in the bucket compared with the billions of people in developing nations at risk of getting the new H1N1 virus. The WHO expects two billion infections over the next two years -- roughly a third of the planet's population.

While most will survive the flu without a problem, it's a dangerous virus for hundreds of millions -- pregnant women and those with conditions such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease and low immunity.

Leading public health experts are alarmed about the prospect of rich countries hogging virtually all the available vaccine while people in poor nations getting virtually none. Wealthy nations have already signed contracts with vaccine makers to lock up their supplies.

"I cannot imagine standing by and watching if, at the time of crisis, the rich live and the poor die," Dr. Tadataka Yamada of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation wrote recently in an outline article for New England Journal of Medicine.

Yamada wrote it would be "inexcusable to force poor countries to wait until the rich have been served under their existing contracts." Wealthy nations, he argued, should stand in line "alongside poor countries, even if they have paid for their vaccine before others could do so."

The WHO's Fukuda says obtaining more vaccine for developing nations is just the first step. " Among the many pandemic response issues, this is probably the most critical issue -- how we mobilize the vaccines, how we get them to developing countries," Fukuda warns.

Another unresolved issue: how should swine flu vaccine be priced for poorer countries.

>> Source npr.org
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Swine flu toll rises to 66 in India
With one person each succumbing to suspected swine flu in Delhi [ Images ], Chandigarh and Jalna in Maharashtra, the nationwide toll due to the virus has climbed to 66, even as 131 fresh cases of infection were reported from various states.

A 48-year-old man, a resident of Panchsheel Park in Delhi, was admitted to RML Hospital on August 20 with renal failure, fever and breathlessness, according to Hospital Medical Superintendent N K Chaturvedi. He died on Saturday evening following acute respiratory distress syndrome and pneumonia, Chaturvedi said, adding that his swab test report was awaited.

Anil Sheshrao Chavan, 26, also died of swine flu on Saturday at the Mission Hospital in Jalna in Maharashtra's Marathwada region, Health Officer B L Survase said.

A 40-year-old woman of Haryana's Kurukshetra district died on Saturday of suspected swine flu at a private hospital in Panchkula. Sheela's swab has been sent to the National Institute of Communicable Diseases for further tests, a senior Haryana Health Department official said. Maharashtra now accounts for 35 flu deaths, the highest in the country, followed by Karnataka, with 12 casualties.

Five people have died in Gujarat, three each in Tamil Nadu, Chhattisgarh and Delhi and one each in Kerala [ Images ], Rajasthan, Uttarakhand [ Images ], Goa [ Images ] and Haryana.

Meanwhile, a total of 131 fresh cases of swine flu were reported from across the country on Saturday, Health Ministry sources said in Delhi. The new cases included 44 in Delhi, 21 in Karnataka, 20 in Tamil Nadu, 17 in Chennai, 3 in Coimbatore, 23 in Maharashtra, one in Pune and 3 in Nagpur.

Out of the total cases reported, six in Delhi and two in Kerala are cases with recent travel history to affected countries. Nearly 14,187 people have been tested so far, out of which 2,669 have turned out to be positive for swine flu. As many as 834 out of the 14,187 persons have been identified through entry screening, 1,911 through contact tracing and the rest had reported on their own.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Suspected flu deaths take countrywide toll to 66
NEW DELHI/JALNA: With one person each succumbing to suspected swine flu in Delhi, Chandigarh and Jalna in Maharashtra, the nationwide toll due to
the virus has climbed to 66 even as 131 fresh cases of infection were reported from various states.

A 48-year-old man, a resident of Panchsheel Park in Delhi, was admitted to RML Hospital on August 20 with renal failure, fever and breathlessness, according to Hospital Medical Superintendent N K Chaturvedi.

He died yesterday evening following acute respiratory distress syndrome and pneumonia, Chaturvedi said, adding that his swab test report was awaited. He had consulted private doctors before getting himself admitted to RML Hospital.

26-year-old Anil Sheshrao Chavan also died yesterday of swine flu at the Mission Hospital in Jalna in Maharashtra's Marathwada region, Health Officer B L Survase said.

A 40-year-old woman of Haryana's Kurukshetra district died yesterday of suspected swine flu at a private hospital in Panchkula. Sheela's swab has been sent to the National Institute of Communicable Diseases for test, a senior Haryana health department official said.

Maharashtra now accounts for 35 flu deaths, the highest in the country, followed by Karnataka with 12 casualties. Five people have died in Gujarat, three each in Tamil Nadu, Chhattisgarh and Delhi and once each in Kerala, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Goa and Haryana.

Meanwhile, a total of 131 fresh cases of swine flu were reported from across the country yesterday, Health Ministry sources said in Delhi.

The new cases included 44 in Delhi, Karnataka 21, Bangalore 19, Gadag 1, Belgaum 1, Tamil Nadu 20, Chennai 17, Coimbatore 3, Maharashtra 23, Pune 1 and Nagpur 3.

Out of the total cases reported, six in Delhi and two in Kerala are cases with recent travel history to affected countries.

14,187 people have been tested so far out of which 2,669 are positive for swine flu. 834 out of the 14,187 persons have been identified through entry screening, 1,911 through contact tracing and the rest had reported on their own.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

WHO warns of swine flu pandemic's second wave
GENEVA: The World Health Organisation is urging the planet to brace for a second wave of the swine flu pandemic as the heavily populated northern hemisphere edges towards the cooler season when flu thrives.
"We cannot say for certain whether the worst is over or the worst is yet to come, :roll: " Chan said in a videotaped address to a symposium on flu in the Asia-Pacific region.
{whoa! one wonders whether he is talking about global economy or global swine flu....are they linked?lol!}
WHO officials are also mystified at the "most worrying" characteristic of this flu virus, Hartl explained. About 40 percent of the most severe or fatal cases occur in people who are in perfect health, he said.:shock:
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

The number of deaths upto 75, seems high, going by the number of suspected and confirmed cases.

The trailing off of the monsoon should see less numbers as the virus should dissipate faster in heat.

Should watch out for number of infections in Kerala, where the Monsoon should begin to taper off.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Gentlemen,here is an excellent health guide to prevent general infections from colds and the flu.There is no need to panic as even if detected early ,"piggy flu" is very curable.Every day we have a huge amount of people dying from other diseases like pneumonia,malaria,cholera,etc.We don't panic about them at all! Each year,flu in the UK and cold countries kill thousands,mainly old people.The UK is expecting the death toll this year from all flus to reach 65,000! Thaks to our warmer climate,swineflu is not expected to be as devastating as in some other countries as we also have better immunity from it.

A very IMPORTANT and DIFFERENT mail from a doctor on H1N1

Dear All,

This message is from Dr. Vinay Goyal a renowned doctor who visited 3 last week to lecture on the topic H1N1 (SWINE FLU), its origin and precautions.

He is an MBBS,DRM,DNB (Intensivist and Thyroid specialist) having clinical experience of over 20 years. He has worked in institutions like Hinduja Hospital, Bombay Hospital, Saifee Hospital, Tata Memorial etc. Presently, he is heading our Nuclear Medicine Department and Thyroid clinic at Riddhivinayak Cardiac and Critical Centre, Malad (W).

The following message given by him, I feel it makes a lot of sense and important for all of you guys to klnow………………………

The Message...........

Thanks to media hype about H1N1, several people who trust me have either approached or called me to advice. The hype in media about the utility of face masks and N95 respirators as a tool for general protection against H1N1 can't be deplored enough. Yesterday, a friend who listened wanted me to write down briefly what I advised so that he could tell others in similar words. Hence this short email to friends whom I have advised recently (and others whom I haven't yet). Please realize that this is not an official advice, especially the one about face masks or N95.

Most N95 respirators are designed to filter 95% particulates of 0.3µ, while the size of H1N1 virus is about 0.1µ. Hence, dependence on N95 to protect against H1N1 is like protecting against rain with an
umbrella made of mosquito net.

Tamiflu does not kill but prevents H1N1 from further proliferation till the virus limits itself in about 1-2 weeks (its natural cycle). H1N1, like other Influenza A viruses, only infects the upper respiratory tract and proliferates (only) there. The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/ throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it's almost impossible not coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as proliferation is.

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps – not fully highlighted in most official communications - can be practiced (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu):

1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications).

2. "Hands-off-the-face" approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat, bathe or slap).

3. Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don't trust salt). H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.

4. Similar to 3 above, clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. Not everybody may be good at Jala Neti or Sutra Neti (very good Yoga asanas to clean nasal cavities), but blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.

5. Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.

6. Drink as much of warm liquids as you can. Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.

All these are simple ways to prevent, within means of most households, and certainly much less painful than to wait in long queues outside public hospitals.

PS:I have found Dispirin gargling excellent to ward off throat infections.Use Karvol /Olbas /Olesan nasal oil drops on hankies,pillows,etc.They are great decongestants and allow the nasal pasages to be free from congestion. There is also a great cold/throat/flu reliever and preventer called "Samahan".It is a Sri Lankan herbal concotion,available in sachets (mix it with your tea,coffee,hot water,etc.a few times each day) which ward off flus,etc.I've used it for years successfully and it is in great demand from my relatives and friends overseas who swear by it.Available at any pharmacy.Keep a box of it at home.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

September 8th Update: 245 New Cases, Delhi Alone Reports 120

Delhi reported 120 new cases of swine flu today as the number of cases in the country rises above 5000 and now stands at 5130. Four deaths were reported, 3 in Maharashtra and 1 in Delhi. The total number of deaths now stand at 137.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

U.S. trials confirm one dose of H1N1 vaccine works
U.S. trials of Sanofi- Pasteur SA's and CSL Ltd's H1N1 swine flu vaccines confirm that only one dose is needed to protect people, U.S. health officials said on Friday.

"I am very pleased today to be able to tell you that the initial results from the NIH (National Institutes of Health) sponsored trial corroborate and reinforce the findings from the companies," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told a news conference.

Fauci said the immune response was quick, too. People appear to be protected eight to 10 days after being vaccinated.

"Americans who get their H1N1 vaccine will most likely be immunized and protected against the virus sooner than we thought," Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told the news conference.

Sebelius said U.S. officials had feared the most vulnerable Americans would not be fully immunized until November. "It shortens the window of worry and more people can be protected much earlier," Sebelius said.

Fauci said the trials had shown very few side-effects and all so far were minor. CSL reported on Thursday that other trials showed just a single dose of vaccine was needed and, last week, Novartis AG and China's Sinovac Biotech Ltd also said they could protect people with one dose of their vaccines.

The new H1N1 strain of flu, declared a pandemic in June, could eventually infect one third of the world's population, or 2 billion people, according to the World Health Organization.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

swineflu-india.org
September 13th Update: 160 New Cases. Numbers cross 6000
One hundred and sixty new cases of swine flu were reported in India today. This takes the total number of infections to 6050. Nine deaths were reported, taking the death toll to 173
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

(not India related but still an FYI)
Swine flu death rate similar to seasonal flu: expert
"Barring any changes in the virus, I think we can say we are in a category 1 pandemic. This has not become clear until fairly recently."
"This is not a severe pandemic," said Dr. Jeffrey Duchin of Seattle & King County Public Health and the University of Washington
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

With the flu season going along, there are more cases of swine flu in maasa. Adults who have got it report it hitting them real hard - almost knocking them out for 5-7 days. Things look might get tense out here. How are things out in desh?
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

You can go to this link and see all the progress :( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_p ... by_country

The reference number near India will give the daily report from the Indian government too. its pretty much daily updated.