The Indian Media - Up for Grabs??

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Re: The Indian Media - Up for Grabs??

Post by Aditya_V »

Ashok Gottipati wrote:Sakshi handed over to NDTV.Jagan is being stripped of his assets and fat.He is slowly loosing the grip on his benamis
And where does loss making, non direct tax paying, indirect tax exempt NDTV gets the funds to make the Purchase??
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Aditya_V wrote:
Ashok Gottipati wrote:Sakshi handed over to NDTV.Jagan is being stripped of his assets and fat.He is slowly loosing the grip on his benamis
And where does loss making, non direct tax paying, indirect tax exempt NDTV gets the funds to make the Purchase??
Haven't you heard, they sued Nielsen and Kantar (part of WPP) for huge $$$ millions. Also note that they have sued in New Jork, not in India, where the alleged crimes of viewer manipulation took place.

I tell you, it is one big conspiracy onlee, NDTV will get money from foreign entities to fund the purchase onlee.
member_23629
BRFite

Post by member_23629 »

^^^Most of their money comes from the Netherlands (land of the EJs) and UK (the land of dirty tricks).
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

Jindal's company files extortion complaint against TV journalists
A top executive of a company owned by Congress MP Naveen Jindal has filed an FIR against Sudhir Chaudhary, editor of Zee News and another top executive of Zee Business. Sources in Delhi Police’s crime branch said investigation of the case has been given to the Inter-State Cell (ISC). “The
complaint of extortion against two top journalists of Zee News for not running the news on Coal blocks allocation was received from a representative of Jindal.

After examining the complaint, a case has been registered and we will now be calling both the parties,” said a senior police officer, requesting anonymity.

When asked about the extortion amount, the officer refused to quote the exact amount but said it is over R50 crore. “The complaint is supported by call records details and video recording at a hotel, where Jindal had called these two for a meeting. We are examining the evidence,” the officer added.

Police said the meeting had taken place at a five-star hotel in New Delhi and apart from the evidence provided by the complainant, they have also contacted hotel authorities for CCTV footage. “We cannot rely on the evidence given by the complainant. The allegation is that Chaudhary contacted them and claimed that he had strong evidence against Jindal’s company in connection with coal scam. He demanded money for not running the story,” the officer added.

However, Zee News later ran the story. Sudhir Chaudhary told Hindustan Times that he has no idea about any such complaint as no one from the crime branch has contacted him so far. “We had done a series on coal scam and Jindal’s company’s name was also mentioned. This is nothing but retaliation as they couldn’t stop the stories,” he said. “The allegations are false and fabricated and the intention is just to gag the media,” he added.

A spokesperson for Jindal Steel, however, said he is not aware of any such complaint.
Most of the jarn-leechers enriches themselves by blackmailing and extortion. In fact dog eats dog say becomes true to Indian media.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

One Question, NDTV has been consitenly reporting losses and loss tax returns.

How coem they now even producing Movies- any body has any idea?
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/will- ... t/1171983/

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/left-r ... /291378?hp

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/the-bu ... eststories

The level of "Yellow Journalism" by the above entities makes one wonder as to what lengths they will descend to... the open bias and lack of depth of the anchors on the above talk shows - including one who frequents on BR - leave a lot to be desired... compare that with a more even keeled discussion below...

http://www.timesnow.tv/Debate-Inquiry-r ... 437257.cms

http://www.timesnow.tv/Debate-Inquiry-r ... 437258.cms

http://www.timesnow.tv/Debate-Inquiry-r ... 437259.cms
Vadivel
BRFite

Post by Vadivel »

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

reminds me of some irritating guys in school/college. tried to make up for lack of intellect/problem solving by english and school background fobishness. same goes for much of the media elites and broken down royals inhabiting the vast warrens of delhi system...right upto the yuvaraj himself.
usually had a preconceived notion they were better than the more 'vernacular' types. sometimes to show their wisdom they would quote jean paul sartre, dirac or some other western writer nobody had heard of. or come to the mess hall with a book of irish poetry or spouting some lines of gabriel garcia marquez.

they were merely consumers of the hard work of others (western writers), and produced little of note. I doubt they had a full understanding of what they claimed to know.

I always stress to kids that its not just ok to be well read, but to attempt writing some stories and original content on their own, no matter how bad or good . fortunately creative writing seems to be there in ICSE atleast from young grades, not sure about the 'scoring' CBSE . I am sure state boards have it.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Singha ji.. Ask kids to read Indic stories and ask them what they liked more in western literature. It helps them.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Al-Hundi seems to have finally rid itself of N(oxious) Ram and his acolytes and N.Ravi and Malini Parthasarathy and others who were put out to pasture by N.Ram in his night of long knives in 2011 are back in the seat.

Ostensible reason being "egregious breaches" of Al-Hundi's editorial and business "North Poles" (or whatever Al Hundi calls it).

But good riddance of N.Ram. Now he is kicked out as the publisher and has no control over the editorial , content and business side of Hundi.
vivek.rao
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek.rao »

I heard chiranjeevi's brother may join TDP. Is that true? Will that help TDP?
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

vina wrote:Al-Hundi seems to have finally rid itself of N(oxious) Ram and his acolytes and N.Ravi and Malini Parthasarathy and others who were put out to pasture by N.Ram in his night of long knives in 2011 are back in the seat.

Ostensible reason being "egregious breaches" of Al-Hundi's editorial and business "North Poles" (or whatever Al Hundi calls it).

But good riddance of N.Ram. Now he is kicked out as the publisher and has no control over the editorial , content and business side of Hundi.
I have another theory to make. Because elections are nearing, Cong decided to give huge money to media houses so that they can behave favorably to Congress. Cong must have offered insanely huge money to this news paper, and differences of opinions have cropped up between Kasturi clan vs Varadrajan bros on spoils and how to distribute that money. Rest is known to all. Timing is also perfect, just before assembly elections and later general elections.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Vina & kmkraoind: plz head to the Media Watch thread under Strategic forum. Lots more juicy details on the Chindu shake-up.

Nothing is permanent in the Chindu family, with a fratricidal history. TOday its Malini, tomorrow it will be Ram. Malini & Ravi are Hindu-haters as much as Ram.

THe CHindu is stroking itself by allowing only positive comments about this move in its online edition (see http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/c ... epage=true)

On a different topic, we need to have just 1 Media Watch thread. There is one in Strategic forum, one here & one in GDF ...................
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.mediacrooks.com/2013/10/mira ... nDwEfk_vCt

The "Yellow Journalism" practiced at the cost of the nation and people....
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/ ... singh-bal/

Posting in full...
A Conversation With: Former Political Editor of Open Magazine Hartosh Singh Bal
By ELLEN BARRY

Hartosh Singh Bal, the political editor of Open magazine, announced on Wednesday that he had received a letter of termination. It was the second high-profile sacking within the Indian media in the space of a month; in late October, Siddharth Varadarajan resigned as editor-in-chief of The Hindu, an influential daily newspaper, when the paper’s owners told him he would be replaced.

In Mr. Varadarajan’s case, it became clear that disputes over political coverage had been simmering under the surface. His replacement told reporters that political bias had crept into the paper’s coverage under Mr. Varadarajan, saying that the news desk had been under orders not to run stories about Narendra Modi, the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party’s candidate for prime minister, on the front page. Mr. Varadarajan disputed the allegation.

Mr. Bal said that his letter of termination offered no reason for the decision, but that the RP-Sanjiv Goenka Group, which owns the magazine, had offered him generous severance pay in exchange for leaving quietly. He also noted that his departure had been preceded by the publication of an article sharply critical of both Mr. Modi and of Rahul Gandhi, the vice president of the ruling Congress Party.

India Ink spoke to Mr. Bal about his departure from Open magazine and the pressures the Indian media has encountered in covering this election cycle.

Q.
This news follows closely on the heels of the sacking of The Hindu’s editor. Do you think there are parallels between these two situations?

A.
Look, there is a great lack of transparency in what happens within the media. I can speculate about what has happened; I know I have done a certain series of articles. They were well received. I have not received any feedback from within the publication that anything I have done was problematic. Then I hear I should leave the organization. My editor says he opposes the decision. My publisher says he opposes the decision. What happened can best be answered by the management of this group.

Q.
Who owns your magazine, and do they have a political allegiance?

A.
Not as far as I know directly. The current chair’s father was part of the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation and was an M.P. [member of Parliament] in the Congress government. Whether this chairman has the same political leanings, I have no idea. This can best be answered by the management.

Q.
Did you ever get explicit guidance on how to cover politics?

A.
On a large scale, in Indian media, it is quite common. It hasn’t happened here. I made it quite clear that I would not accept anything like that. Whether there was any communication between the editor and owner, that can best be answered by the editor.

Q.
Which is more dangerous to write about, Congress or Modi?

A.
Good question. If I knew what the precise reasons were for the ownership to ask me to leave, I could give you a better answer. I have written enough that would not be pleasant for either.

In my case, one thing I will tell you is that everything I’ve written has gone through an editorial process. If they felt there was a problem, there should have been a discussion between the editor and owner. From what he specifically told me, he doesn’t even support it. He did make it quite clear to me that he would not support a termination or be party to it. I can’t speak for him personally. If I have reporters under me writing stories that go through me, and if somebody were to question them and ask me to remove them from the organization, they’d have to go over my dead body.

Q.
Do you feel betrayed?

A.
Everyone has to make their own call. I know what my own call would be.

Q.
Do you think that your colleagues are under pressure for the same reasons?

A.
This is a particularly divisive and important election in this country, and I think the role the media plays is very, very important. I do think that overall there is an attempt to stifle voices which are independent. I have never seen the media so divided within itself, taking sides, being so partisan, even when it is clear where the funding and support is coming from.

Q.
Did this happen in earlier election cycles?

A.
I am sure there must have been a certain kind of pressure. The ability to influence media, the attempt to do so — that is changing rapidly. I think it is worse now. There’s a kind of fixation on managing elections, which influences both Congress’s and B.J.P.’s approach to this election. Managing the media is a big part of that.

(This interview was edited for length and clarity.)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

what is the relationship between kim kardashian going topless and indic times of india? i can understand some reference in some sections, but it bizarre and glaring headlines on the web. toilet is toilet for no reason as we say.. but it does not make sense to say, some kids dying in UP for no reason, and next to it this topless pics of hollywood and bollywod sherlyn chopras of the world. i understand the need for such in specific zones of restricted access, but toilet has gone beyond any merits of unrestricted pics on the web. this needs to curtailed only by a gov regulation., and i don't understand what this kangrez gov is doing?
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Not sure if this is the right thread.

But did anyone notice that Zee has started a Z Salaam Channel available on Tatasky 177.

Are they gearing up to cater to increased populace??