BR Algorithms Corner

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Algorithms Corner

Post by SaiK »

I am thinking against readability now..

then I was thinking like this question: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6334 ... m-hashcode

say generate number, and get a string value. doh! what was I thinking. if that was magic, the zipping technology would be reinvented.

thanks vt
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

SaiK wrote:I want to generate 8 billion test-data names. readable ....

Is there a better way to do this?
Whatever you do, would be nice to be careful, and not have let a name like "Bobby Drop Table;" get interpreted ...:)

(Hope there are DOO's here in brf : ))
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

AmberG ji: that was the trick used to get rid of spammers and their databases. I think there was a case by the spammer in the US. Court ruled it is illegal to reply with drop as it is destruction of private property.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

This is a form of SQL injection attack used during late 90's/early 2000's. I won't be surprised if there are still web servers ( armature ones ) still vulnerable to similar attacks!
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Dipanker: Hat tip, you are right on the money. That is what it was called , i.e. SQL injection attack. The irony was that if one employs it against a spammer it was ruled illegal by the court.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

it may be illegal by court.. but having such vulnerabilities is costly for chore-porates on account of data loss, service loss, business loss, h&d etc.

amber ji.. no such intention. no interpretations.. only raw data that would be used for some other measures.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Come to think of it, BRF was vulnerable to it too and it was exploited once I believe.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

David Johnson, Mathemtaical Sciences, Lucent, Murray Hill, NJ has passed away last week. The book "Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness (Series of Books in the Mathematical Sciences)" By Garey and Johnson is the standard reference book and probably has one of the best expositions of the question
P =? NP

A few memorials follow:

Lipton/Regan's Blog

Lance Fortnow's blog

David Johnson 1945-2016 ACM memorial