BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Response to Terrorism after Mumbai

Post by negi »

^ Great game eh :mrgreen:
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Those that whine about Indian troops being "sacrificed" for Afghanistan, would you rather they die after attacking empty tents in PoK? On the one hand there is a lot of anger and blah blah about "we need to do something" but when we do something or even talk about it, there is :((

We need to accept that stakes have already been raised and have been since 2006. TSPA raised the stakes thinking that India cannot respond through Cold Start or by conventional attacks.

If TSPA "withdraws" from the war on terror and officially becomes a US enemy, does it help us or hurt us? TSPA has already maxed out covert support to the Taliban. What more will it do?
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

In my opinion, TSP is effectively doing a nuclear blackmail. Here is their message to India, "We will send terrorists trained and supported by us and kill your civilians at will. If you try to hit us back we will use our nukes"
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Will this act cross TSP's red, ahem, green-lines? :rotfl: RAW-ngudu, thanks for making my day.
Raju

Post by Raju »

negi wrote:^ Great game eh :mrgreen:
this is how public consent is obtained.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Yes Raju. CIA planned Mumbai and made MMS faciliate it so that Indian public would accept this. In fact, the CIA is using the humanhandcontrol tool to prevent me from typing this but their machines failed.
samuel
BRFite

Post by samuel »

The TSPA must know it is being squeezed. It can't continue brokering for the talibullah, but it can't stop helping its own creation. It can't let go of "ISI" or "rogue elements," they are all the same package, too.

If it anticipates India's move west in due course, would it benefit TSPA to intensify terror and escalate the eastern front as rapidly as it can? If sufficiently rapid, will that prevent us from going west and can the escalation rally all jihadis to the eastern front, with us? Thus, TSPA lets go of land (temporarily) on its west but is able to hold on to its jihadi force?

Or, would TSPA send the jihadis to fight us and the Americans west, thus letting them go, whilst doing what it can to keep up an image, by fighting us east.

How can we extract more useful work out of the Americans in destroying TSPA or should we just not think that way?
Last edited by samuel on 29 Dec 2008 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Should it be an all-or-nothing deal? i.e., take all of 120K troops, not 50K troops? No pick-and-choose?

Will Iran play?

I would first want alternate supply routes through Central Asia even if Iran plays. Wouldn't want to put Indian troops hostage to Iran's goodwill.

What would the mission be? Fight Taliban? Prop up Karzai? Battle narcotics? Aid the Afghan army? Protect reconstruction efforts?

Where will they be deployed? Will Unkil let them be deployed in South and East Afghanistan?

When is the mission over?

What is the worst case scenario to plan for? Unfriendly Iran, Pakistani attacks on India's borders, Chinese sabre-rattling?....
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

This has been thought about before. At the creation of ISAF the NDA govt. under Vajpayee offered Indian troops. The Bush administration flatly said no and the thought was never entertained by Unkil even before any consideration about TSP H&D. TSP will say no to all supply lines if Unkil even considers any Indian proposition.

This is not going to work. Unfortunately, the only choice is an all out Indo-Pak war in response to terrorism.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

It is in India's interest to force the TSPA's hand and make it impossible for Americans to pretend that TSP is an ally. It will not happen overnight but India can speed up the pace. Force the whole world to make an explicit determination on TSP.

What can they do? Send more suicide terrorists? Are we sure they will stop even if we do nothing?

Force the issue on TSP.
BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

In my opinion, this move if true is brilliant. We will create an entire second front for the pakis to defend themselves from. They have focussed most of their energy in crafting their defenses against an Indian assault from their east. These positions and their tactics were all based on the assumption that their western front is safe and deserves less attention. One lakh Indian jawans decked in their finest delivering justice from the west of Pakistan, would be sweet revenge for Indians and blow to bits all assumptions the paki startegic thinkers ever conjured. Now I keep my fingers crossed for this news to be true and not some fancy tale spun by Bajwaji.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

How are we going to get our equipment there? Is the road and rail project from Chabhahar finished yet?€ Will TSP allow Indian aircraft to fly over TSP airspace? So, most probably will have to fly over Iran. Now wonder how Iran will react to this, they might not like India siding with Washington on this again, but we will have to let Tehran know our intentions.

But this does mean, there is going to be huge pressure on Pak. They might buckle under pressure and hand over the involved parties of 26/11.

I think its a good move if true. We are at war already(after Paki's hit the Indian embassy), what difference is it if we engage the Taliban/Pakiban/Pak Army openly. Lets bring the ANA to India and train them. Lets send trainers out to afghanistan and train the army.
Last edited by shyamd on 29 Dec 2008 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Rangudu wrote:Those that whine about Indian troops being "sacrificed" for Afghanistan, would you rather they die after attacking empty tents in PoK? On the one hand there is a lot of anger and blah blah about "we need to do something" but when we do something or even talk about it, there is :((

We need to accept that stakes have already been raised and have been since 2006. TSPA raised the stakes thinking that India cannot respond through Cold Start or by conventional attacks.

If TSPA "withdraws" from the war on terror and officially becomes a US enemy, does it help us or hurt us? TSPA has already maxed out covert support to the Taliban. What more will it do?
Very well said, R! IA can launch daily attacks on Puki Army from Afghanistan. The people here professing anger at no action from GOI will get their wish! So why the whining??
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

For those wondering whether India is prepared to send troops to Afghanistan let me assure you that serious consideration is being given to the proposal. It makes real sense, never more so than at this particular time.Domestically it'll be a real winner with everyone on board except the Commies whom no one takes seriously any more in any case.

How will the troops be maintained ? If the US is successful (and when they put their mind and will to it they more often than not usually are) in opening up an alternate logistical route, well then that's how we'll ensure that our troops get their supplies. That also means that the US no longer hase any stake in allying with Pakistan which is more of a nuisance, to put it mildly than a partner in any sense of the word.

As for Orbat.Com's credibility those who've read our work over the years will understand that we don't get our facts from the newspapers and they're most often right.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Listen, what are the odds that 120,000 Indian troops will be invited by Afghans and Americans - Z E R O

But we don't need 120,000 troops there for our purposes or to help stabilize Afghanistan. The reason you offer this is to create an environment where say a modest 10-15K troops go there with a simple scope of protecting Indian interests i.e. the infrastructure projects especially in the Western part of Afghanistan.

In the long run, is it logisitically any different for a quantum of Indian troops to be stationed permanently in the Panjshir valley as opposed to Tajikistan? Staioned among the friendly Afghans would give us the ability to ramp up or down in the case of any escalation by TSP.

Remember that the US and NATO are WEEKS away from opening another supply route overland through Russia.

If TSP uses covert assets to attack our forces, we can retaliate covertly or overtly using either our troops or our Afghan assets.

Either way, if TSPA officially aligns with the Taliban again and abandons the current fig leaf, what do you think will happen to TSP if another 9/11 were to occur, Heaven forbid?

Even if this does not materialize this year, there is a chance that it will happen in the next few years. At the very least, it will force our babus to clear arms acquisition plans with more alacrity and get our forces the goods fast.
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

Vivek K wrote:
Rangudu wrote:Those that whine about Indian troops being "sacrificed" for Afghanistan, would you rather they die after attacking empty tents in PoK? On the one hand there is a lot of anger and blah blah about "we need to do something" but when we do something or even talk about it, there is :((

Very well said, R! IA can launch daily attacks on Puki Army from Afghanistan. The people here professing anger at no action from GOI will get their wish! So why the whining??
I'm worried about the casulaties that we might have to suffer. Soldiers dying fighting a war against Pukis is different than Indian troops being killed by Taliban's guerilla attacks in Afghaanistan. True that it will open up another front for Pakistan, true that Pakistan will loose any leverage with the US but I'm just a little sceptical about whether this government has the ability to make it a success & it does'nt end in an IPKF like disaster.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

The problem is not the chance that India troops will lose their lives in Afghanisthan.

Thats a given and comes with the territory and the IA or other arms understand that. Its a question of being betrayed by our own.
After all even now there is no care for the IPKFs role.

The question is will our political establishment give them the support instead of deserting them like in Sri lanka.

After all a few hundred Tamil nuts were able to persuade them to look the other way then, why would a few million Indian muslims not cause them to do the same??

The logistics will be daunting so unless we have buy in some form - this will have to be carefully considered.

First - there should total political unity on it followed by the country ala Kargil
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Surya

Got the mail. I agree with you reg. political buy in. Sri Lanka was different because of the direct border and the Tamilnadu politics. But the lessons you mention are absolutely on target - WE cannot let the army go anywhere and be tied up with vague objectives and lack of political cover.

This is all at an initial stage. But there is buzz among the diplomatic types as well. We need to debate this, get unanimous political support (commies don't count) and a politico-diplomatic cover story that is pushed by the Afghans and the Americans.

For those that talk as though fighting the Taliban is different that fighting TSPA, here's news for you - Taliban == Pakistan Army. If the TSPA types force some kind of "moderate Taliban" on the Afghans, then we are in deep trouble. All the LeT type assets will multiply over there and be deployed at will inside India.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Rangudu:

I never take any of Unkil's BS (especially moralistic crap) at face vaule. Rather, I go by his actions and the only immutable element that controls's his policy: his and his western lackey's economic/politcal/military interests, a.k.a quest for western dominance.

Let me speculate something truly heretic. The conventional wisdom is that US wants TSPA to concentrate on the tribal areas fighting Talibaln and so called "Al Queda". My gut instinct tells me that even if there is Bin Ladin hiding there, and there is so called omni potent "Al Queda" under his leadershp there plottting to destroy America, I cannot see it as an immediate threat. In other words, even of TSPA pulls out its troops competly and shows Unkil the middle finger, its NOT a red line TSP would have crossed to invite Unkil's wrath. Simply because common sense tells me that so called "Al Quieda" and Taliban even if they have a free run in those areas cannot threaten US interests in any meaningful way in the immediate futire.

Bottom line: The card that India is banking upon, namely TSP's non-compliance to US diktat's in the tribal areas is not sufficient to invite Unkil's wrath. There is a bigger game going on. Unkil wants something from India until he lets go off TSP as an albatross around India's neck. What is that something?
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Chandragupta wrote:I'm worried about the casulaties that we might have to suffer. Soldiers dying fighting a war against Pukis is different than Indian troops being killed by Taliban's guerilla attacks in Afghaanistan.
Chandragupta, you are correct in your worry and I expect that the armed forces will be able to evaluate the risks and counter them. However, this may be a chance to strike at the root of the terror that impacts Indian Cities.
True that it will open up another front for Pakistan, true that Pakistan will loose any leverage with the US but I'm just a little sceptical about whether this government has the ability to make it a success & it does'nt end in an IPKF like disaster.
You have to get your politics into everything don't you.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Rangudu wrote: If TSP uses covert assets to attack our forces, we can retaliate covertly or overtly using either our troops or our Afghan assets.
They hit Kabul Embassy, they hit Mumbai, Assam, Hyderabad etc etc etc, they have attacked our forces in J&K. Why didn't India retaliate covertly or overtly over the IB or LoC? Not a good justification.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

shyamd wrote:They hit Kabul Embassy, they hit Mumbai, Assam, Hyderabad etc etc etc, they have attacked our forces in J&K. Why didn't India retaliate covertly or overtly?
Overtly from India for obvious reasons. Covertly because our means today lag behind our goals. Establishing a presence in Afghanistan would multiply our covert capabilities manifold.
Last edited by Rangudu on 29 Dec 2008 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

One thing is clear though.

Most of the people here who :(( :(( loudest after terror attacks by TSP do not have the guts to even think outside the box, let alone act.

We all want to have our cake and eat it too.
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. The choice is between incurring casualties among our troops and the future of our civilisation.We have to look back at out history and reflect on how we, lulled into a false sense of security by the magnificence of our civilisation neglected our security to the point that invaders conquered and rules over us for a thousand years. Are we prepared for a repeat ?

I hasten to add that the proposal is a little beyond its infancy. Early days yet to talk about the cream of our infantry re-treading their old paths on the Durand Line. But the proposal can't be rejected out of hand.

It will be a strategic master-stroke, nullifying all the advantages accruing to Pakistan through its proxy war campaign.At the least I feel a division's worth of troops should be sent to physically safeguard Indian interests.
Vikram_S
BRFite

Post by Vikram_S »

@Vivek K

chandragupta is absolutely correct this govt has no credibility left so far, and which makes such radical move being carried out as extremely risky.

when this Govt cannot even handle antulay and makes anti Israel comments for "muslim sentiments" what chance is there it will be able to handle pressure otherwise. surya is 100% correct such move has the possibility of leaving indian army in IPKF style mess if politicians do this for narrow purposes and not strategic aim with 100% assured support to indian army veteran and people.

Vikram, DO NOT ascribe political leanings to anyone.
it's called flamebait and will not be tolerated on BR.
thanks for co-operating.
Rahul.
Last edited by Vikram_S on 29 Dec 2008 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
D_Chopra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by D_Chopra »

Sending forces to taleban land needs to be carefully considered. Some would say it is our war now because sooner or later it will spill over. I think this is the time for india to strengthen internal security and invest in high-tech surveillance, covert ops units and basically clear up the internal security mess. By blaming pakis for failing to rein in their dogs, india is failing to even consider why it was unable to prevent such attacks. Forget about mumbai & parliament for a sec, what about all the numerous blasts that have become routine ?

Certainly sending troops to aghan gives more non-state actor names for pakis to place blame. India should harden its own internal security apparatus here before even thinking of sending troops. Once troops are in afghan, there is no easy way out, it will be long drawn. Gives more reasons for quack-queda and its cabals to make india its official no.2 target.

Unless Unkil signs over something real special such as strangulating paki economy & defense aid, and arming india to the teeth, we should not commit to troops.
jrjrao
BRFite

Post by jrjrao »

Well, hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

This program is from 12/22, in which Mushahid Hussain says the same. Watch it from 15:00 onwards, when Hussain says (while complaining about US engineered Paki predicament in Afghanistan):
"Even India is getting involved. When I (Mushahid Hussain) was in India a few days back, I complained to Shyam Saran about India's $1.5 billion investment in Afghanistan. And Shyam Saran said to me -- what is wrong with that. We can even send troops to Afghanistan...."
This visit to India by this Paki was, I think, for a conference in Calcutta.

Video link:

http://www.pakistanherald.com/prog_show.asp?prog_id=333
Vikram_S
BRFite

Post by Vikram_S »

Mandeep

the proposal sounds radical enough to succeed. but i have few questions:

- what is afghan point of view, have any comments been made from their side

- what is indian army view on this, are commitments being made by present GOI to give soldier their due (no IPKF style disowning treatment)

- is this not risky in that we indian public "outsource" the blood and toil entirely to indian army hoping that cities will not get attacked? if indian army in afghanistan is focus, and US leaves iraq, fighting india will be new focus of arab world & mujahideen ---> which means terror threat goes up 100 times.
with our pathetic security, is that not invitation for terror attacks increasing?

would appreciate your thought/reply
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Chopra

This is not about India doing a favor for Unkil. This is about India doing this to protect India's interests.

Again, if you are worried about Indian soliders dying to advance Indian interests and inflict pain on those who murder Indians with the hope of impunity, then you should not complain about government inaction against TSP.

Vikram_S,

Can you please give me the last count of attacks by TSPiglets on Indian cities, rounded to the nearest hundred?
krish.pf
BRFite

Post by krish.pf »

WTF?? Why should we send our troops to fight afghan Taliban & Al Qaeda when they should be fighting LeT & other Indian centric scum? Why should we sacrifice our soldiers for someone else's war? Those Taliban and the U.S can engage in a gory fight to their deaths for all I care.

I don't approve of this except our motive is to create pakthunistan. Or atleast we should be allowed to permanently base our troops there like in siachen. None of this is going to happen as the U.S would never allow something like that. A very VERY stupid move if true.
Vikram_S
BRFite

Post by Vikram_S »

D Prem wrote:Unless Unkil signs over something real special such as strangulating paki economy & defense aid, and arming india to the teeth, we should not commit to troops.
agreed - fully

we should do this if it means Unkils full cooperation in securing our borders with best technology, stopping of economic (military) aid to TSP and constant pressure on TSP

we need to strangle TSP to death like Python, cut off all its links and make it very expensive affair for only PRC to support

Rangudu,
Vikram_S,

Can you please give me the last count of attacks by TSPiglets on Indian cities, rounded to the nearest hundred?
i am afraid i am too busy avoiding those attacks with my loved ones to make that list.

anyone with iota of common sense will know that attack frequency will increase since india will become focus area for not just LeT but other jihad types. that is a risk.

and i am well justified in asking for what GOI will do to handle this possibility.

this is called planning.

if Indian army must go to Afghanistan then all possibility must be well thought of and secured.

and this include consistent support to indian army and not backstabbing by politicians.
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

If it is true, then at last we are at the table of P5 Goondas. The question is who is buying us the chips to bid?
Uncle has to pay, because he paid for No Service by TSP for GOAT. No? ( remember war is expensive, that too all airlift from India over Himalayas? Logistics Logistics so uncle has to provide C-130s, AWACS couple of squadrons of F-15s).

Use this time to realign the POK and Aksai chin while fixing Afghanistan.

This is not any out of the BOX as ouR man thinks. This is jhumuruthalia wisdom. Ask anybody contesting elections in India, how to use pincer and flanking manures!
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Vikram_S wrote:
D Prem wrote:Unless Unkil signs over something real special such as strangulating paki economy & defense aid, and arming india to the teeth, we should not commit to troops.
agreed - fully
Heloo where are you ? :rotfl: Unkil never made an official commitment to the even NSG ratified N deal.
D_Chopra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by D_Chopra »

Rangudu wrote:Chopra

This is not about India doing a favor for Unkil. This is about India doing this to protect India's interests.

Again, if you are worried about Indian soliders dying to advance Indian interests and inflict pain on those who murder Indians with the hope of impunity, then you should not complain about government inaction against TSP.
I think what is being suggested is good, but now is not the time, with the state of internal security in India. Any western country that is now in the middle-east have their internal security under control. Just a cursory look at India and its neighbourhood will reveal how easy it is for someone to infiltrate explicitly or implicity through their intelligence agencies. Not to mention the huge muslim population, some of whom are brainwashed already and ready to work against india at any given opportunity. India is one of the easiest for externals to infiltrate.

Big steps like sending troops to afghan or not yet within india's grasp. The society can be easily manipulated in india by externals. Commies are already in the Chinkus bags. Cant say very highly on any of the politicians or parties either. All of them are open to manipulation by anyone who has loads of money and their murky pasts on a dvd disk.
venkat_r
BRFite

Post by venkat_r »

If enough was enough - then this is a good start.

Two overt and atleast one covert act if happened after the Mumbai attacks, would have moved us forward.

1. Indian air strikes in POK and in Pakistan - would set a precedent and next escalations would not be that bad - There is still ample scope for this and this should happen again.
2. Indian deployment in Afghanisthan - this is a very bold move and provides a better place for India to fight Pakistan. Stabilising Afghanistan and helping the afghans is much better way to deal with these scum. Make Afghanistan strategic loo-hole for Pakistan. If the news is true, then it is about time we did something like this.

Starting the covert ops against Pakistan should be another that should be given priority and ample $$$ support. The next budget should reflect that.
Vikram_S
BRFite

Post by Vikram_S »

point is this should not be IPKF style comedy --> go in for something, end up with something, come back with nothing and public call military man names

if this is done, there are 4 thing that are essential

- number 1, make india secure. this is not cowardly but to prevent politics. with people like Lalloo and Mayawait and antulay and digvijay singh, if there are few attack in india even after this, these people will blame indian army and sell it out for votes and call for return humiliating indian army efforts.

-number 2, long term policy to make pak change policy by fighting long term in afghanistan, not just run away after 4-5 years forgetting why india went to Afghan.

-number 3, complete support to In Army from political establishment by consensus. all soldiers supported protected.

- number 4, get quid pro quo from Unkil to make india more secure, drop support completely to TSP

Negi
Heloo where are you ? Unkil never made an official commitment to the even NSG ratified N deal.
india made no promise to Unkil for giving india NSG deal as well. what did india guarantee to Unkil-->nothing.

Unkil is not india's child to do what india wants. this is something indian should realise.

real power is all about give and take. if india offers commitment like this to afghanistan then USG has to step up for support
krithivas
BRFite

Post by krithivas »

India requires a land conduit to Afganistan for energy security - This is to ensure that Oil/Gas from *.*-stans flow through JK/Punjab through to Gujarat refineries.

If this furthers Indian strategic interests by delinking China with Pakiland, and negating Pakiland its wet dream of strategic depth, then it makes the investment worth all the more.

But this will require India to re-open LOC as the defacto border. But there is already a parliament resolution that alludes to this - The entire J&K including POK is Indian territory.

R. Krithivas
Vikram_S
BRFite

Post by Vikram_S »

Rangudu wrote:One thing is clear though.

Most of the people here who :(( :(( loudest after terror attacks by TSP do not have the guts to even think outside the box, let alone act.

We all want to have our cake and eat it too.
in other thread somebody made the point to go after kith and kin of TSPA terrorist and hit in as brutal as manner as possible.

you said, no, no, not morally right.

point is even that was thinking out of box.

everyone has box, and everyone has different ideas to break out of box.

i as indian citizen if i am asked which is preferable --- india wages absolute no hand barred method of covert ops in TSP which has Prob of success of 0.7 and sending IN army to Afghan which has same chances of success.

i will choose cheaper and more brutal option unless there is valid reason against option 1.

morality has no business being in area after 30 years of terrorism in india when indians are dying like dogs.

so let us keep all this comments about :(( out of the way when discussing serious topic.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Rangudu wrote: Overtly from India for obvious reasons. Covertly because our means today lag behind our goals. Establishing a presence in Afghanistan would multiply our covert capabilities manifold.
I am not saying we shouldn't send troops to Afghanistan, I am just saying that, if you are saying it helps covert action, I am sorry, but India can do it now, if it wants to, it has done so in the past. Having a base in afghanistan, does make things a bit easier but not enough to warrant sending troops specifically for this reason. There are already RAW teams in afghanistan, if India wanted operators on the ground to gather intel in pak, we can do it already, the infrastructure is there. There are plenty of afghans well disposed to India and who despise pak. IB has already infiltrated terror camps in NWFP before. We stopped Pak's support for Khalistan in the past by using covert action from India. Covert action is the wrong reason to go to afghanistan, as it can be done from India.

The right reason is to put pressure on Pak and the fact that we are already at war. If our focus is intelligence collection and covert ops, our tactics and plans will change entirely.
samuel
BRFite

Post by samuel »

if the US wants China contained, India can help. It can arrest the rise of Russia-China too, in the longer run. India can also be the market that spins US back up. Giving tsp up in return, with the added benefit of "solving" AlQ etc., is chump change for the US.