On Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, Chennai city was the place where an integrated exercise on response to a Mumbai like terrorist incrusion from the sea was staged. The objective was to test the response. Marine Commandoes played "terrorists" and landed into chennai through the sea. The Chennai City Police, the Coastal Security Force of TN, the CISF reacted and apprehended the "terrorists". Only the top echelons knew that this was an exercise and the rest reacted as if it was a real attack.
Key points of the exercise:
1. It took 5 hours to react from the first "intelligence inputs".
2. The coordination was in place but it is reported that there was some overlaps.
3. One "terrorists" managed to escape and was captured by civilians later
4. Local fishermen were employed by security forces to detect unusual landings
5. CISF came up below average, some of them were found to be unfit ( could not climb ropes)
6. Chain of command was functioning.
7. The police did not spare anyone and stopped and searched everyone including the collector of Chennai's car when she was in it.
8. Barricades were put up across the coast line and there were units despatched to all key "targets" including star hotels.
9. Not clear if the exercise involved Kalpakkam area
10. Police verdict - It worked well, there are gaps and we will get better next time.
This is an important event and needs to be tracked and all details captured here. It is good to see that action is being taken by the Home Ministry. This is the first time such an exercise in scale and scope has been done. Hopefully there is a periodic exercise undertaken in every major metro. It is good that they used a highly trained force like Marine Commandoes to be the agressors. It shows that the government is taking things seriously.
Here is a report on the operation as it appeared in TOI. Any other details, please post in this thread. As usual the title is negative.http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Citi ... 755772.cms