Siachen News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: Siachen News & Discussion

Post by chetak »

ramana wrote:With Modi in Delhi, no more trading Siachen for peace nonsense right?
Won't stop the pukis from trying.

BJP is starry eyed when it comes to pukeland and the pukis know it
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

The FDI and the VKS issue shows there are enough entrenched lobbies in the system who will continue trying to push their stuff across.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

ramana wrote:With Modi in Delhi, no more trading Siachen for peace nonsense right?
Still too early to say.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

It has to be watched how this affidavit against Sri VKS goes. His continued presence is required to provide a on-the-ground military perspective to MoD and Prime minister. Siachen needs these practical perspectives and not romanticized ones.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

The drone does not do away with the pilot. It only takes the pilot out of the cockpit and puts him thousands of miles away if it is required to operate that way.

With current level of technology, you still need the qualified pilot.
I know Chetak ji, I did not write about the External pilot, internal pilot, observer etc since it would be OT. What it does, is take the pilot out of the cockpit and 'reduces' the pilot centered issues (CAT / IR; other requirements like pilot clearances etc).

IMO with sufficient power, there are a few helipads, especially close to base camp with rapid climb, in valleys with little space for turn, a rotary wing UAV does offer a good alternative. All this is provided sufficient power in engines of course. This is not to say that it will completely replace the Cheetah at those places. This technology will be developed only if we want. No where else in the world do forces need solutions which we need on the glacier. We need to ask for it if we think it will help.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

deejay wrote:
The drone does not do away with the pilot. It only takes the pilot out of the cockpit and puts him thousands of miles away if it is required to operate that way.

With current level of technology, you still need the qualified pilot.
I know Chetak ji, I did not write about the External pilot, internal pilot, observer etc since it would be OT. What it does, is take the pilot out of the cockpit and 'reduces' the pilot centered issues (CAT / IR; other requirements like pilot clearances etc).

IMO with sufficient power, there are a few helipads, especially close to base camp with rapid climb, in valleys with little space for turn, a rotary wing UAV does offer a good alternative. All this is provided sufficient power in engines of course. This is not to say that it will completely replace the Cheetah at those places. This technology will be developed only if we want. No where else in the world do forces need solutions which we need on the glacier. We need to ask for it if we think it will help.

deejayji,

You certainly know what you are talking about.

The pukis and us use almost identical equipment at those heights.

Only theirs seem to perform better being original french built. :twisted:
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Yogi_G wrote:It has to be watched how this affidavit against Sri VKS goes. His continued presence is required to provide a on-the-ground military perspective to MoD and Prime minister. Siachen needs these practical perspectives and not romanticized ones.
The cabinet secy needs to get a move on and find out who is responsible for this evilly motivated and purposefully wantonly precipitated crisis.

Could not the petition just be withdrawn with an apology to the court??

We need VKS there to help through the amreki withdrawal and the dangers beyond
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Here is a heart rending story from Siachen which illustrates the limitations of man, material and machine. Thanks for the link Rohit
ROPE By Capt Raghu Raman
MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

Reading "Beyond NJ 9842: The Siachen Saga". Completed 10 chapters till now.

Truely an eye opener and a beginners guide for anyone interested in Siachen. The stories of personnel and their sacrifices are amazing. It justifies in highlighting the importance of the helicopters in those high altitudes. At one point the author from a jawan gets a comparison of both sides in helicopter sorties. He mentions that there were only 2 sorties from the PA in almost 100 days, whereas we are doing around 30 on an average everyday.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Check this link 11.00 onwards.

Brigadier Gurmeet Singh is a visitor at Kashmir Center in Brussels the ISI sponsored and Ghulam Fabi run propogonda think tank!!!

Also check 28.00 onwards how the Puki RAPE host is asking will you give us Kashmir? These imbeciles believe that by sweet talking and by spouting bhaichara bull shit on various track II and other sponsored jamborees they will be able to wrest kashmir from India. Like all Track II'ers from Indian side the anti-national Ved Pratap says Kashmir does not morally belong to India and that we have forcibly become masters of Kashmiris !!! He openly admits being in regular and direct communication with separatists.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

I don't why we come up with complicated theories or that WKK don't understand Pakis, its a simple case, these people don't thier future with India, they are not tied with India.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

Using drone helicopters, something like the movie "Three Idiots", thing, should be seriously explored for the siachen region

Already in the Pipeline. a SERIOUS number of these UAVs designed and manufactured by IdeaForge have already been contracted to the Armed Forces and Various State Police and Paramilitary Units. (Also on a side note. Despite DRDO putting their "chappa" on this UAV it has nothing to do with the UAV development)
Recently in Mumbai a company used a similar small drone to deliver a pizza to the top of 30 story building from the pizza outlet about 1.5-2 Kms away.
Proved to be a photoshop farce :)
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

rkhanna wrote:
Using drone helicopters, something like the movie "Three Idiots", thing, should be seriously explored for the siachen region

Already in the Pipeline. a SERIOUS number of these UAVs designed and manufactured by IdeaForge have already been contracted to the Armed Forces and Various State Police and Paramilitary Units. (Also on a side note. Despite DRDO putting their "chappa" on this UAV it has nothing to do with the UAV development)
Recently in Mumbai a company used a similar small drone to deliver a pizza to the top of 30 story building from the pizza outlet about 1.5-2 Kms away.
Proved to be a photoshop farce :)
Good news. Would love to see a whole lot of UAV's and drones in IA/IAF service.
The Mumbai news about the pizza delivery turned out to be false, however, there has been news from Russia of a similar Pizza delivery taking place. :)
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

Are there any in the pipeline to monitor gas pipelines for leaks while flying at 30m altitude and good enough sensors? maybe do that quarterly
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Just an "up" so I dont lose sight of my reading matter, please read past.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Shreeman wrote:Just an "up" so I dont lose sight of my reading matter, please read past.
FYI, I read what is available easily and decided its not my place to comment. My opinion remains that while this is a very complex logistics issue, there are no insurmountable technological issues that can not be resolved given decades. Not looking for further discussion, merely noting due diligence.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Vipul wrote:... the anti-national Ved Pratap says Kashmir does not morally belong to India and that we have forcibly become masters of Kashmiris !!! He openly admits being in regular and direct communication with separatists.
Aren't seditious and treasonous actions punisable by death or life with hard labor? How do we tolerate such MC/BCs. Hope these track2 omlette slurping contests are delegitimized and made illegal immediately.

Edit: video taken down and account terminated.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Haven't we won the Siachen debate already? Pakis are nowhere in sight. In fact we should be looking to consolidate by also controlling & administration of regions that pakis can not control in the region. No point in entertaining any party further now.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

vishvak wrote:Haven't we won the Siachen debate already? Pakis are nowhere in sight. In fact we should be looking to consolidate by also controlling & administration of regions that pakis can not control in the region. No point in entertaining any party further now.
Which regions be these exactly?
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Regions meaning parts that pakis aren't able to control within Kashmir ie across LoC from Siachen. If Indians are able to gain a foothold, pakis can't do much at that height. If I remember correctly, pakis have very thin or nominal presence in that region which actually is part of Indian state of J&K and is currently occupied by pakis.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

^^^ Look the entire LOC is just that - Line of "Control". At some places it is referred to as LC, at some place LAC and some places AGPL. It is not about the control governments have over respective territories.

Any major thrust in change of LOC will lead to war. Remember Kargil.

Crossing in to Pakistani held territory from Siachin, you mean leaving our positions and attacking the lower reaches - Bila Fond La, Sia La? Across the Saltoro ridge? Sir jee, tussi idea hai ki Siachen se logistical support to an aggressive maneuver kaise hoga? I mean how? What kind of weapons can we bear on the Bakis from the Glacier to effectively take territory?

Anyway, mostly on the glacier we are at the highest points, the bakis are lower. Meaning, the fighting with Bakis in their territory will be at lower heights and they can bring in to play better machinery on their territory. Plus their defenses are good. A realistic assessment of Baki capability will tell you that on BRF some posters tend to indulge in Hyperbole. We are better but they are no push overs.

But I like the aggressive tone. Hear, hear General Staff - Op White Out plans need to be drawn up.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

At the cost of posting OT, how do we deal with an enemy that won't lose territories even after losing war. Indians must be amongst the most civilized people on the planet to let pakis squat in Indian state of J&K even when pakis attacked kargil heights against all international conventions and bilateral treatise. The least we can do is to control territories that pakis are unable to guard. The siachen peace chatter is to hide that pakis wanted to grab & couldn't and that pakis are unable to support certain areas.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

From what I know, we captured Haji Pir Pass and gave that up in POK. I have heard from very old soldiers of how their hearts cried out. In effect, what's the point of a military take over if there is no political will?
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

Why was it given up, problems with supply lines, indefensible or treason by congis?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

deejay wrote:From what I know, we captured Haji Pir Pass and gave that up in POK. I have heard from very old soldiers of how their hearts cried out. In effect, what's the point of a military take over if there is no political will?
It was traded for territory opposite Akhnoor which was captured by PA in Operation Grand Slam. Our position was pretty precarious in Akhnoor because loss of Akhnoor would've severed ties with areas lying along LOC like Naushera and Rajauri. It would've also threatened Jammu by opening up a north-west flank of the city to attack from Akhnoor.

Here is a good article on the same:
http://www.indiandefencereview.com/spot ... e-reality/

Do look up the map in the article and see how close the PA had reached to Akhnoor.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Wasn't Haji Pir retaken in 71 and retained till date. Or am I smoking something very potent.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

rohitvats wrote:
deejay wrote:From what I know, we captured Haji Pir Pass and gave that up in POK. I have heard from very old soldiers of how their hearts cried out. In effect, what's the point of a military take over if there is no political will?
It was traded for territory opposite Akhnoor which was captured by PA in Operation Grand Slam. Our position was pretty precarious in Akhnoor because loss of Akhnoor would've severed ties with areas lying along LOC like Naushera and Rajauri. It would've also threatened Jammu by opening up a north-west flank of the city to attack from Akhnoor.

Do look up the map in the article and see how close the PA had reached to Akhnoor.
What is strange is even in 71, inroads were again made by an armored column in this sector - even after 65. This was a localized failure of the IA. Have never understood, why the sequence was allowed to reoccur in 71.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

rohitvats wrote:

Actually, I read the same article before posting. The point 13620 (Kargil area) was also part of the trade off. If you further investigate you will find that the IA was also close to Lahore and the invasion and capture of Lahore was called off as the ceasefire was imminent and the presumption was that we would hand over the captured territory once the ceasefire was in place.

The old soldiers that I refered to were lamenting this very weakness. To trade off Akhnoor we had territories near Lahore which could have included Lahore if we had the will. Even if we are to think only in terms of Kashmir we traded off a far larger area ( I am reading the map in article, and may be wrong) and we could have held our own at one place at least (Pt 13620 or Haji Pir).

I am not sure on this but when we see our other advances compared to the Akhnoor advance of the PA it does seem an excessive trade off since Akhnoor never really fell to the Pakis. There advance in Chumbh had also been halted. Now, my statement is in hindsight and I am aware of this second guessing I am doing. Yet, we had an opportunity but lacked the will to capture and retain territory. The Akhnoor- Chumbh advance had been effectively stopped by our advance towards Lahore, so the trade off was with Lahore and not with Haji Pir and Pt 13620 (over seeing Kargil).

At the same time I agree that we could all have different views, but one that is not logical is not going for capture of Lahore because a ceasefire was imminent and then trading off Haji Pir, Pt 13620, Lahore adjoining area for small territories near Akhnoor & Chumbh.

Links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Pakistani_War_of_1965 ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahore_Front

quoting from the Lahore front link
Even after the capture of Dograi on 20–21 September no attempt was made to capture Lahore and the main assault on Lahore was not launched because a ceasefire was to be signed in the following couple of days and it was known that the city would have been given back to even if it was captured.[19] By choosing to attack Lahore, the Indians had managed to relieve pressure from Chumb and Akhnoor in Kashmir, forcing the Pakistan Army to defend further south.[1]
and
At the end of hostilities on 23 September India retained Between 140 square miles(War Despatches by Lt. Gen.Harbaksh Singh)and 360 square kilometres(official Indian History of 1965 war) of Pakistani territory in the lahore front including major villages of Bedian,Barki,Padri,Dograi,Bhasin and Ichhogil uttar along the eastern bank of the Ichhogil canal.Pakistan only gained small tract of land in Khem Karan of 52 square kilometres.[20][21]
and
The war was heading for a stalemate, with both nations holding territory of the other. The Indian army suffered 3,000 battlefield deaths, while Pakistan suffered 3,800. The Indian army was in possession of 710 miles² (1,800 km²) of Pakistani territory and the Pakistan army held 210 mile² (550 km²) of Indian territory. The territory occupied by India was mainly in the fertile Sialkot, Lahore and Kashmir sectors,[32] while Pakistani land gains were primarily south in deserts opposite to Sindh and in Chumb sector near Kashmir in north.[33]
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

ShauryaT,are you sure it is the IA which failed? Why do you think IA failed?
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

deejay wrote:ShauryaT,are you sure it is the IA which failed? Why do you think IA failed?
Please, Please do not jump on me. When in 65, LB Shastri declared that every inch of our territory would be defended, COAS Choudhary jumped and said, Sir, it is not possible to defend every inch. Localized battle thrusts are a fact of a long border, what I wonder about is why was it allowed to reoccur in the same area in 71, as in 65.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

See the map, place in qn is very hard to defend & easy pickings.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Karan M wrote:See the map, place in qn is very hard to defend & easy pickings.
Since you think I have not seen the map well enough, let me assure you I have seen maps after maps, seen those with my eyes and from ground and from air and the story goes on. That is not important. My argument was and remains the lack of 'Indian Political Will' in terms of any military objective beyond our status quoist position of present borders especially w.r.t. Pakistan and China.

Well see the map, that pass Haji Pir will be a nightmare and slaughter house next time we want to capture it. It is the pass used for most terrorist infiltrators from Pakistan in their journey towards Kashmir Valley. Haji Pir was a tactical necessity. Losses due to surprise in Akhnoor were brilliantly countered by the attack on Lahore. Read the wiki page. At no time I am arguing about surrendering Akhnoor.

We did not capture Lahore because of 'impending ceasefire'. Enough 'political will' and the army would have done it and for Lahore we could have probably got almost all of Kashmir. The mistake, IMO, was to exchange 550 Sq Km of Paki occupied area with over 1800 sq km of occupation by us.

The weakness of Akhnoor and Chumbh which glares on our face even when the Pak Army is behind the IB and not at the best positions it occupied in '65. Those 550 Sq kms were vital but so were our gains in Lahore. Did we have the 'political will' (as a nation) to extract our pound of flesh. What the soldiers in '65 achieved will be hard to replicate at Haji Pir, Pt 13620 and Lahore. However, rest assured that Akhnoor and Chumbh will be their thrust areas in all conflicts and they have made sure now that we will not have it that easy at either Haji Pir, Pt 13620 and Lahore. As a pure military move, our thrust was in Lahore and that should have been secured before ceasefire.

My argument remains, by not capturing Lahore and equating Haji Pir & Pt 13620 to Akhnoor we have invited trouble in terms of Insurgency and Kargil in '99. Haji Pir gives the militants an access both to Uri and Poonch but from our side if you are at Poonch you will really have to go long way around. The terrain of Haji Pir is mountainous while Akhnoor is mostly plains (foot hills) and all the equating in terms of land space equality is with Lahore and not with Haji Pir. We need Akhnoor but we did not have to bargain with our conquests in Kashmir when we had Punjab to bargain with. I am never arguing the surrender of the territory captured by Pakis but playing hard to retain theirs. The IA was all set, won tactical victories and had laid down blood for it. By stopping short of Lahore we showed our 'political will' and then further surrendering all captured territories in exchange of the territories near Akhnoor. Which is what I mean as 'lack of political will' to capture areas in POK whether we advance from Glacier or from the Valley.

On the supply side weakness that Akhnoor - Chumbh exposes us to, I keep thinking that we are still not adequately prepared in terms of infrastructure of bridges and alternative routes. If that route (NH 1A) chokes, we always resort to air lift, which is what we did in the wars, snow caused stoppages etc. What we have done is filled the place with Army. So in my view, all structural weaknesses remain. Anyways, the R S pura border from Jammu is ~17-20 kms from Jammu as the crow flies. If you do circuit & ldg at Jammu airport, be advised not to go too far west on downwind or you will attract Paki firing.

When I say lack of Political Will - please understand it is in the classical sense and it is not exclusively targeting the Indian Political class but the joint will of the people, government and the military. It is this combined will in political objectives that is status quoist.

@ShauryaT: The repeat of our achievements of '65 will not be easy, but our strategic weakness at the J & K in Akhnoor - Chumbh area is evident. I suspect the PAkis view NH1A as one of the key centers of gravity in capturing J & K. Their attacks will come in that sector. In every war they will try to cut off NH 1A.

Those interested in the Battle for Haji Pir Pass, there is a short film by Films Division and you may watch it at :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gga9A_1HX6o
member_22906
BRFite

Post by member_22906 »

^^
Thanks deejay for sharing the youtube link. Didn't know this film existed. Brings very dear memories and nostalgia for me...
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Ajay Sharma wrote:^^
Thanks deejay for sharing the youtube link. Didn't know this film existed. Brings very dear memories and nostalgia for me...
You are welcome Sir. :)
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Before the cease fire, reportedly PM Shastri had asked Gen Choudhary, if IA wanted the ceasefire delayed for a few more days, but gen choudhary reported that IA was short on ammunition and the ceasefire should be pursued.

If the above is true then IA top brass really goofed up. It was found after the ceasefire had been signed that India had enough ammo and supplies to last for a few months, whereas the pakis were on their last legs. If the ceasefire had been delayed by even 2-3 days, the pakis would have been more then desperate to sign it and would have given away more in the bargaining.

The COAS not knowing the level of ammo and supplies, during an ongoing war, which had been in the making for more then 6-8 months or a COAS giving a false report about this, should have been a very serious issue. Somehow, it never got the attention it deserved. Maybe because of the untimely death of the PM.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Deejay, I was referring to shauryaT's glib post. Not yours. Akhnoor & Chumb was a weakness given our force deployments & geography both. If you wish to trade territory/static warfare for mobile warfare then you need the money and firepower to match. We didn't have that then, its arguable whether we even have it today. (I would say not).
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Oh! now I see, thought it was in addition to rohit's point. Sorry!
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

http://generalchandrashekhar.blogspot.i ... ir_28.html

This is an account by Lt Gen Chandra Shekhar who retired as VCOAS.
...in March 1991, when I was posted out to HQ 15 Corps as the Chief of Staff (COS)

I recall an incident in the Siachin sector of 3 Inf Div when I was officiating as the Corps Commander. The Divisional Commander, Major General JS Dhillon, reported that a Pak Helicopter had violated our air-space in the central Glacier in the ‘Bahadur Complex’ and recommended that we should engage the helicopter should it repeat the intrusion. I approved the action and asked him to redeploy the ‘Igla’ missile and informed the HQ Northern Command of our plans, as it appeared a deliberate violation. The GOC reinforced the post with an ‘Igla’ missile and undertook suitable measures. The enemy helicopter came again and flew over the post and was engaged. It was shot down, and besides the pilot, we found it also had on board the opposing Brigade Commander and an SO, all of whose bodies were recovered. There was the obvious protest from Pakistan through the DGMO, and the obvious inquiries from the MoD. Since I had already informed the higher HQ of our proposed action, we were on a sound wicket within our agreement of the AGPL.

The helicopter intrusion by Pakistan had been preceded by heavy artillery fire, followed by assaulting infantry. The alertness of the post-commander and the quick retaliation by our artillery and mortar fire not only repulsed the attack, but left many of the enemy dead on the slopes. We allowed the enemy to retrieve their dead, including their Brigade Commander, once such instructions were received from HQ Northern Command and the DGMO. The Indian Army while remaining committed to the defence of the country to the last breath and to the welfare of its fighting force, is also committed to values of honour towards the foe, and this quality is something we should recognise and be proud of.

Was able to correlate some titbits with PA list of KIA. This incident is as big as they come, judging by the size of the list here ...

Code: Select all

Army No	Rank	Name	Arm/Service	Operation	Award	Formation / Unit	Shahadat Date	Shahadat Place	Shahadat Cause

PA 17325	MAJ	Babar Ramzan	Arty	AIR CRASH	SJ	 	08-01-1992	NOT KNOWN	DIED DUE TO HEL CRASH
PA 17207	MAJ	Khalid Sohail Sultan	ASC	AIR CRASH	SJ	 	08-01-1992	NOT KNOWN	DIED DUE TO HEL CRASH
PA 29397	LT	Rana Muhammad Rashed	ASC	MT ACCIDENT	T BT	 	30/07/1992	NOT KNOWN	DIED DUE TO MT ACCIDENT
PA 28878	LT	Mirza Neem Ullah Baig	Arty	Siachen	TJ	 	08-01-1992	SIACHEN GLACIER	DIED UE TO FIGHTING IN FACE OF EN
PSS 28495	CAPT	Arshad Hamid	AK	Siachen	 	 	08-01-1992	SIACHEN GLACIER	DIED DURING EN ACTION
PA 29946	LT	Shahid Mahmood Butt	AK	Siachen	 	 	08-01-1992	SIACHIN GLACIER	DIED DUE TO ENEMY ACTION
PSS 26317	CAPT	Talib Hussain Khan	AK	Siachen	 	 	08-01-1992	SIACHEN GLACIER	DIED DUE TO EN ACTION
PA 22284	CAPT	Safdar Khan	AK	Siachen	SJ	 	08-01-1992	SIACHEN GLACIER	DIED DUE TO EN ACTIN
PA 17325	MAJ	Babar Ramzan	Arty	AIR CRASH	SJ	 	08-01-1992	NOT KNOWN	DIED DUE TO HEL CRASH
PA 17207	MAJ	Khalid Sohail Sultan	ASC	AIR CRASH	SJ	 	08-01-1992	NOT KNOWN	DIED DUE TO HEL CRASH
PA 10117	BRIG	Masood Navid Anwari	FF	Air Crash	SJ	HQ FCNA	08-01-1992	Siachin	Due to hel crash
2797816	Sep	Shakeel Ahmed	AK	Siachen	 	11 Div	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	DUE TO EN FIRE
2797031	Nk	Mushtaq Ahmed	AK	Siachen	 	11 Div	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	DUE TO EN ACTION
2803761	Lnk	Muhammad Saddique	AK	Siachen	TJ	11 Div	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	DUE TO EN FIRE
2808194	Sep	Farooq Khan	AK	Siachen	TJ	11 Div	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	Missing Believed Shaheed
2812098	Sep	Gul Sawar Khan	AK	Siachen	 	23 DIV	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	DUE TO EN FIRE
2814044	Sep	Fazal Karim	AK	Siachen	 	11 Div	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	DUE TO EN FIRE
2814647	Sep	Zafar Iqbal	AK	Siachen	 	11 Div	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	DUE TO EN FIRE
2815784	Sep	Muhammad Qadir	AK	Siachen	 	11 Div	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	DUE TO EN FIRE
2793661	Sep	Muhammad Mustafa	AK	Siachen	 	11 Div	08-01-1992	Siachen Glacier	DUE TO EN FIRE
2825554	Sep	Nafees Ul Haq	AK	Siachen	TJ	11 Div	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	Missing Believed Shaheed
2821368	Sep	Muhammad Ishaq	AK	Siachen	TJ	11 Div	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	DUE TO EN FIRE
2821410	Sep	Zafar Iqbal	AK	Siachen	 	11 Div	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	DUE TO EN FIRE
2820158	Sep	Muhammad Ayub	AK	Siachen	 	11 Div	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	DUE TO EN FIRE
2818690	Sep	Muhammad Zaheen Khan	AK	Siachen	 	11 Div	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	DUE TO EN FIRE
2818831	Sep	Muhammad Pervez Khan	AK	Siachen	 	11 Div	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	DUE TO EN FIRE
2827546	Sep	Faid Muhammad	AK	Siachen	TJ	11 Div	08-01-1992	DUM SUM SEC	Missing Believed Shaheed
3057251	GNR	Masood Raza	Arty	Siachen	 	 	08-01-1992	Siachen Glacier	Killed in action
3070816	DMT	Abdul Jabbar	Arty	Siachen	 	 	08-01-1992	Siachen Glacier	Killed in en action
3081894	OCU	Shahid Sohail Khan	Arty	Siachen	 	 	08-01-1992	Siachen	Enemy Action
2823798	Sep	Arshad Mehmood	AK	Siachen	 	11 Div	08-02-1992	DUM SUM SEC	DUE TO EN FIRE
2798813	Lnk	Muhammad Bashir	AK	Siachen	 	11 Div	08-02-1992	DUM SUM SEC	DUE TO EN ACTION
PSS 21414	CAPT	Saadat Ullah Khan	AK	Siachen	 	 	08-02-1992	SIACHEN GLACIER	DIED DUE TO EN ACTION
2845839	Sep	Saidan Shah	NLI	BDA	 	FCNA	08-04-1992	Piun Sub Sec	Pulmonary Oedema
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

There is a photo of him with Mush in Colombo just before Mush flew back to Pak and overthrew NS in a coup.
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

Aditya G,
The Bahadur Post operation was called Trishul Shakti. Harish Kapadias book "Siachen Glacier : The Battle of Roses" has details about this operation. As per this book, the PA attacked with 800 troops and lost 42 soldiers. Another account of that operation is in the book Awakening Indians to India. That puts the PA dead as 62. Both these books are available in google books.

There is interesting aspect of the operation from the PA side. check this link From http://criticalppp.com/archives/28382