Armed Forces Senior Appointments & Officers

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
AmanC
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AmanC »

I don't see any reason why this rule cannot be done away with.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Any update on the new COAS' birth date?
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Milan Naidu to be Vice-Chief of Army Staff
Lt Gen Milan Naidu, an officer of the Rajput Regiment, is set to take over as the new Vice Chief of Army Staff. Naidu, who is presently commanding the Army Training Command (ARTRAC) in Shimla, will take on his assignment on October 1 after Lt Gen Deepak Kapoor moves on as the next Army chief.

A minor reshuffle of the top Army brass is due with two Army commanders set to retire in the coming months.

Lt Gen J K Mohanty, who is currently the commandant of Army War College (Mhow), will move to Shimla and take charge of ARTRAC. The colonel commandant of the Dogra regiment had previously commanded the Leh based 14 Corps.

The Southern Command will also get a new commander after Lt Gen Aditya Singh retires on September 30. He is likely to be succeeded by Lt Gen Noble Thamburaj of the Bombay Sappers who is presently commanding the Jalandhar based 11 Corps.

At the Western Command, Lt Gen Daljeet Singh will retire on October 30 to be replaced by Lt Gen Tej Sapru. The Gurkha officer is currently commanding the sensitive Nagrota-based 16 Corps.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Service chiefs lock horns over posts’ upgradation

[quote] New Delhi, September 5: Inter-services rivalry took an ugly turn on Wednesday with Defence Minister A K Antony ordering the three service chiefs back to the drawing board after they failed to agree on the creation of new general rank posts recommended by the AV Singh Commission Report.

According to sources, things turned sour after General JJ Singh insisted that the Army get a quantum increase in general rank posts over and above the recommendations of the commission to ensure that the land force remains “more attractiveâ€
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

I find it surprising that discussions (Gen Singh vs Admiral Mehta) of that nature come out in public domain. But if that conversation did indeed take place, someone needs to remind the good General that without the Indian Navy, his tanks will have no gas to move, his trucks will not be able to supply various army outposts scattered across the country because they have no gas either and the troops at Siachen will find life quite challenging because Army/Air Force supply helicopters also have no gas to fly! The Indian Navy protects the shipping lanes of India and we all know how important that is. No one service can claim superiority over the other and each play an equally important role in the security of India.
dsekhon
BRFite -Trainee

Upgrading etc

Post by dsekhon »

I agree with Rakesh that each of the forces have an important role to play and there should be no reference to whether for example the army is superior. The country needs all three forces to work together and be seen to make decisions in a pragmatic and professional manner. I also appreciate to an extent that the armed forces may need to increase their numbers in certain ranks to ensure that our youth are interested in joining the armed services, but I strongly believe that this should not be to the detriment of the force. To illustrate my point more clearly and bring some perspective to it I refer to the position of commandant of Sandhurst (the equivalent of the IMA) who, I undertsand, is a major general. I accept that the Indian army is larger in size, but it does make you think whether one really needs an officer of the rank of Lt Gen to manage and operate such an institute. The army should be able to justify why it needs to have a Lt Gen to manage the IMA or for that matter the War College, NDA etc. One may say that this approach may invariably create a bottle neck at some point. I say let it be but inorder for the Indian Army to maintain credibility as a force within a global context we should not increase the Lt Gen ranks and pehaps promote certain officers to this rank just for the sake of making it more attractive as a profession.

I am very keen to hear other people's views on this matter.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Upgradation does not come by the whims and fancies of anyone.

Each rank is justified to the govt and they have to pass muster of the bureaucrats of the IAS and Finance and that is no major achievement since the latter have their own turf interests.

The point is the whole govt infrastructure is cockeyed and overstaffed and over elevated!

My counter question is:

Do we really really need so many Secretaries of various grades i.e. Secy, Jt Secy, Addl Secy et al for ministries, some of which are redundant and have no work or IG, Addl IG, Jt IG etc etc for dept where an SP would do wonderfully well?

In fact, a Colonel would also do well to be the Comdt of Sandhurst.

Does Iraq require a four star General? In the Indian equivalent, it means equivalent to our Chief.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

In fact, a Colonel would also do well to be the Comdt of Sandhurst.

Does Iraq require a four star General? In the Indian equivalent, it means equivalent to our Chief.
There was a cartoon in one of my Grand father's Army Magazines ( from 2nd WW).

There were 5 figures in cartoon
1 A Sepoy.......cool , simple innoscent face.
2 Sergent......gruby,seasoned face with moustache
3 Major.......intense look as if everthnig is transparent to him, bigger moustaches
4.Colonel.......most fearsome look. Those special moustaches and burning eyes.
5 General........cool,simple,innoscent but mature face.....same as Sepoy:lol:

I think you can not replace Comdt of Sandhurst with some do macho heros.......you need cool head who can plan for long term needs and guide big organization. JMT
dsekhon
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dsekhon »

The author of the last posting raises a valid point. There appears to be certain departments highly overstaffed. I suspect that is how the civil service works in many countries throughout the world. There does, however, need to be a fundamental review and perhaps reform of the civil service and the like. I am afraid I will need to quote examples from the British system again. There has been for some time a similar systemic problem in the British Civil Service - overstaffed, inefficient etc. I am glad to say that the Government of the day a few years ago carried out major plans to streamline the service and to ensure that the service is fit for purpose etc. This, of course, has meant that thousands of civil servants have been made redundant.

Now, as to how achievable this is in India is a slightly diferent matter. The dynamics are different. The labour laws is incredibly rigid and in favour of the civil servant and this, alone, will make it very difficult for the government to implement any radical plans. BUT this needs to be done.

I am digressing - with regard to the issue of the army, I accept that each senior appointment is reviewed and justified, but is it not surely the point here that the "goal posts" will need to be changed. If say for example 100 posts are allocated to the rank of Lt Gen, then the authorities may be more inclined to fill those posts (with doubt bona fide intentions) allowing for discretion.
dsekhon
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dsekhon »

I note that the first round of senior appointments have been announced, namely, for the next COAS, VCOAS and Commanders for Western and Southern command. However, there appears to be no fresh news of any other senior appointments. I am interested in hearing from anyone who can perhaps fill me in or enlighten me as to when the next phase of appointments are likely to be made and who may be in the running for such positions.

Lt Gen Panag, I understand appointment commenced on or about January 2007 and I can only assume the Northern Command is not "up for grabs" as yet. Let me know if that is so the case.

Of course, I accept that any views will be highly speculative, but neverthless it is worth a discussion.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Lt Gen Sabharwal takes over as Srinagar's 15 Corps GOC
http://www.hindu.com/2007/11/25/stories ... 820900.htm

Lt Gen Karwal takes charge of Nagrota Corps
http://news.webindia123.com/news/Articl ... 10022.html
dsekhon
BRFite -Trainee

Appointments

Post by dsekhon »

It is my understanding that Lt Gen A S Sekhon has been appointed as the next DGMO. What has happened to Lt Gen Pande, the previous DGMO. Has he retired?

It would be helpful if any of the readers are able to explain the precise role and remit of the DGMO's functions, accountabilities. Again, with my limited knowledge, I believe he is to report to the VCOAS - is that correct?

Any news on Lt Gen Panag as to whether he is likely to move?

Your guidance will be very much appreciated.

Just one further point, I am currently reading General Sir Mike Jackson's autobiography - interesting read. He talks about his early miltary career in some detail. He was commissioned into the intelligence corps but was attached to the paras as part of his infantry attachment. He found the infantry far more exciting and underpinned his preconceived views as the essence of military warfare. He discussed his position/dliemma with his CO in intelligence and requested a move to the paras. With an element of persuasion and persistence, he was allowed to do this . Is this flexibilty present in the Indian army - I assume it is??
Mandeep
BRFite

Re: Appointments

Post by Mandeep »

The Director General of Military Operations is responsible for
1. Military policy on all counts.
2.Planning and conduct of all operations including internal security, counter-insurgency, disaster management and aid to civil power.
3. Contingency planning.

He does report to the VCOAS in the latter's capacity of Chief of the General Staff (not to be confused with the UK equivalent of the same name)

The Northern Army Commander, General Panag is not expected to move anywhere in the near future.

Flexibility as regards change of arm/service is indeed permitted in the Indian Army.I know of a number of officers who have served in two arms viz. armour and infantry, artillery and infantry. Some 33 Armoured Corps officers of the 1953-54 batch were converted to the infantry in one go in 1969. Most of them became Brigadiers and above.

My father of course holds the record having served in no less than 3 arms - engineers, infantry and artillery !
dsekhon
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dsekhon »

Thank you Mandeep

Your brief overview of the DGMO's role has been helpful - it appears to be an important and key staff position.

It appears from your narrative that flexibility is usefully built in to the system to allow service personnel to switch from one arm to another. The army for many people in the UK creates confusion. Civil society is generally unsure as to how the army operates, the organisational structure, the regimental loyalty etc - it all seems to be pomp and ceremony for must of us. The courage is evident, of course, particularly at the time of war. Serviceman and women are isolated and less integrated in civil society in UK, contrary to, I believe, India. This, in turn, adds a little more pressure on the British soldier as to what he or she is getting themselves into. Their skills may well be suited to other types of work.
Raju

Post by Raju »

Civil Aviation Minister: has declared that Services Chiefs will be exempt from frisking at airports.

NDTV
Rudranathh
BRFite

Post by Rudranathh »

Air Marshal PK Barbora takes over as Air Force COMMANDING-IN-CHIEF WESTERN AIR COMMAND, Indian Air Force

January 01, 2008, 14:48 IST

Air Marshal PK Barbora, Vayu Sena Medal, has taken over as Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Western Air Command of IAF in New Delhi, today.

The Air Marshal was born in December 1950 in Shillong and commissioned as a fighter pilot in June 1970. He is a very experienced flier and has flown over 3500 hours. He took part in the 1971 war.

He is a Qualified Flying Instructor and a Fighter Combat Leader and has been on the Staff of Tactics and Air Combat Development Establishment. He has also served two tenures in the Directorate of Air Staff Inspection at Air Headquarters. He is a graduate of College of Combat, Mhow (Higher Command).

During his service career he has had the distinction of being part of the team during formation of the first Jaguar Squadron of the IAF and also inducting the Air Combat Simulator into the IAF, the first of its kind in Asia. He has held many operational assignments, such as Commanding Officer of a MiG-21 Squadron and Air combat Simulator Unit, Chief Operations Officer of a fighter Wing. He has served as Air Officer Commanding of a premier fighter Station.

He has held the appointment of Air Attaché at the Embassy of India, Moscow and Assistant Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (Perspective Plans and Force Structure) in HQ Integrated Defence Staff and Assistant Chief of Air Staff (Inspection) at Air Headquarters (RK Puram). The Air Officer was promoted to the rank of Air Marshal on 07 Sep 05 and assigned the appointment of Senior Air Staff Officer at Eastern Air Command, IAF.

With effect from 02 Apr 07 the Air Marshal, who is the first personality from the Defence Services hailing from the North East, was promoted and posted to the prestigious appointment of Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief Eastern Air Command.
Rudranathh
BRFite

Post by Rudranathh »

Air Marshal P.V.Naik is the new vice chief of Air Staff

January 01, 2008, 14:47 IST

Air Marshal PV Naik VSM ADC has taken over as the Vice Chief of the Air Staff at Air Headquarters in New Delhi, today.

The Air Marshal was born on 22 Jul 1949 at Nagpur. He is a graduate of Sainik School Satara, National Defence Academy, Defence Services Staff College and National Defence College.

He was commissioned in the fighter stream on 21 Jun 1969. During his distinguished career of 38 years in Air Force, he has flown all MiG-21 variants and MiG-23-BNs. He is a Qualified Flying Instructor, a Fighter Combat Leader, Graduate of the Defence Services Staff College and the National Defence College.

He has held many important command and staff appointments. These include the command of a MiG-21 Bis Squadron at Pathankot, Chief Operations Officer at Bareilly, Directing Staff at TACDE and Defence Services Staff College, Battalion Commander at the National Defence Academy, Air-I of Western Air Command, Air Defence Commander of South Western Air Command and Director General of the Air Force Naval Housing Board.

He has commanded two bases, AF Station Srinagar, an operational base in the Kashmir Valley and AF Station Bidar. He has functioned as Senior Air Staff Officer at Western Air Command and Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Central Air Command prior to taking over as the Vice Chief of Air Staff at Air Headquarters.

For distinguished service he was awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal on 26 Jan 03 and appointed Honorary ADC to the Hon’ble President of India wef 25 Jul 07.
Mahender
BRFite -Trainee

Northern army commander may be shifted

Post by Mahender »

Josy Joseph
Wednesday, January 02, 2008 13:27 IST

NEW DELHI: In a move that has defence circles abuzz, the chief of the northern army command, in-charge of the entire Kashmir operations, is being abruptly transferred out after he began investigating purchases sanctioned under special powers by his predecessor who happens to be the present army chief.

Defence ministry sources said the army recommendation for the transfer of Lieutenant General HS Panag from March 1 to Lucknow, to head the central command, is pending with the government.

Panag has been pursuing various corruption cases in the cash-rich northern command, including the purchase of tents sanctioned under special powers by Army chief General Deepak Kapoor when he was the northern command chief.

A Major General was served show-cause notice in the investigations under way in Udhampur. There is still no evidence of any personal wrong-doing by Kapoor but there is a visible case of impropriety, say sources in the northern command.

Panag has been out to end malpractices in the northern command ever since he took over. One of his recent investigations unravelled a scam in the purchase of eggs for soldiers.

The minimum weight of eggs is mandated to be 48 grams, but for years officers signed contracts with 40 grams as the minimum weight. Several officers are still under investigation in the egg scam.

According to sources, Panag began investigating the tent purchases after the northern command stumbled upon over-purchase of the costly item. Transparency in these costly acquisitions where the commanders enjoy financial freedom is “also a mustâ€
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2008/20080125/main3.htm

JJ Singh is Arunachal Pradesh Governor
New Delhi, January 24
Former Chief of the Army Staff Joginder Jaswant Singh (62) has been appointed Governor of Arunachal Pradesh in the sensitive north east, according to a Rashtrapati Bhawan communiqué.

General Singh, who retired as Army chief in September last after 43 years in service, is the sixth such top defence official to occupy the gubernatorial post now.

The appointment, made by President Pratibha Patil, will be with effect from the date Singh assumes charge of his office, the communique said.

He succeeds K Sankaranarayanan, who as Nagaland Governor is holding additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh.

The others are General S F Rodrigues (Punjab), Lt Gen S K Sinha (Jammu and Kashmir), Lt Gen Ajay Singh (Assam), Lt Gen M M Lakhera (Mizoram) and Lt Gen K M Seth (Chattisgarh), all retired from service.

During his tenure as army chief, Singh spoke with empathy on the issue of human rights violations in Jammu and Kashmir and acted promptly on complaints against security forces personnel in this regard whenever they cropped up.
The list of ex-military officials who are now constitutional authorities leaves out Lt. Gen. Bhopinder Singh who is Lt. Gov. of Andaman and Nicobar. And I strongly suspect that KM Seth is no longer governor of Cgarh, and a former BSF chief now occupies that slot.
dsekhon
BRFite -Trainee

Appointmnt to COAS

Post by dsekhon »

The farce/hysteria that is created over the top job is quite frankly damaging and presents an unfavourable picture to the outside world.

Although I am not a military man per se, I am aware that to become a Genaral is based upon seniority and very little else. Of course one can argue that to get to a position where one is competing for the top job is evidence enough to support that candidate's right to become General. The leadership and integrity should be taken for granted !!. What I am concerned about is that whether the selection process for a highly sensitive and important role should be so prescriptive. There may be a Lt Gen in the wings who may be a better candidate in terms of his performance. Why is it purely based on seniority - surely we want the best man for the job. I also appreciate that there is very little to choose from the top few commanders and some uncontroversial criteria should be set, namely seniority, although that recently has been a matter for dispute. Can we not have a more merit based selection process. Has there ever been a Lt Gen who perhaps is less senior but more capable who has got the job of leading the Indian Army.

We must not have seniority as the sole determinant of whether one becomes a General. Other criteria should also form part of the selection process.

Any comments??
ASPuar
BRFite

Re: Appointmnt to COAS

Post by ASPuar »

dsekhon wrote:The farce/hysteria that is created over the top job is quite frankly damaging and presents an unfavourable picture to the outside world.

Although I am not a military man per se, I am aware that to become a Genaral is based upon seniority and very little else. Of course one can argue that to get to a position where one is competing for the top job is evidence enough to support that candidate's right to become General. The leadership and integrity should be taken for granted !!. What I am concerned about is that whether the selection process for a highly sensitive and important role should be so prescriptive. There may be a Lt Gen in the wings who may be a better candidate in terms of his performance. Why is it purely based on seniority - surely we want the best man for the job. I also appreciate that there is very little to choose from the top few commanders and some uncontroversial criteria should be set, namely seniority, although that recently has been a matter for dispute. Can we not have a more merit based selection process. Has there ever been a Lt Gen who perhaps is less senior but more capable who has got the job of leading the Indian Army.

We must not have seniority as the sole determinant of whether one becomes a General. Other criteria should also form part of the selection process.

Any comments??
Well,

When FM Cariappa became chief, the post had at first been offered to General Thakur Nathu Singh, as well as another officer. They both refused, on the grounds that Cariappa was senior.
dsekhon
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dsekhon »

I assume the comments made by the gentleman regarding General Carriapa was many decades ago. I am referring to the most recent position. Notwithstanding the example, the principle of meritocrisy would still apply. We just shouldn't be offering "Generalship" to candidates solely based upon seniority. There has to be a comprehensive and pragmtic approach with reasons that can stand up to logic and criticism.

Lets be honest, we are talking about a person who will be leading quite possibly the second largest army in the world - we want the most suitable candidate surely.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

IMO, the cadre of generals which forms the highest echelon, largely consists of very competent officers. The chief is selected from one of these.

The army has a very heirarchical pyramid, and only the best make it to the top, theoretically, with the rest being eliminated in lower ranks. So the chaps at the top arent just long in the tooth timeservers.

The chief is chosen by the political executive, and seniority, though the guiding principle, is not the only one. Unless I am mistaken, Gen. Vaidya was chosen over Gen. SK Sinha, even though Sinha was the senior.

Similarly, Gen. Bewoor was given an extension in service as chief, which effectively edged out General PS Bhagat from contention for the post of chief.

There are many expedients used by the government of the day, to ensure that the chief is someone that they feel they can work with. Not defending this system, just saying seniority isnt the only principle used!
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Unless I am mistaken, Gen. Vaidya was chosen over Gen. SK Sinha, even though Sinha was the senior.
The above statement is correct. And the reason Lt.Gen.Singha was superseeded was more because of political reason and Gen. Singha resigned postthis development. It was Indra Gandhi's who took this decision.
Raghavendra
BRFite

Post by Raghavendra »

V K Joshi appointed Director General of CRPF
Link
Tue, Apr 1 02:35 PM

New Delhi, Apr 1 (ANI): V K Joshi has been appointed as the Director General of the Central Reserve Police Force.

He will replace S I S Ahmed.

Joshi, a 1971 batch Bihar Cadre IPS officer, will continue to hold the post of Director General, Indo Tibetan Border Police as an additional charge.

The CRPF is one of the oldest and most experienced armed police forces of the country.

The demand for this force from States and Union Territories has substantially increased even as it has been called upon to help the States to control law and order situation.

The role of the force and services rendered by it have extended beyond the nation's borders as well.

Over the years, CRPF has also produced number of outstanding sportsmen and athletics who have brought honour and appreciation both with in and outside the country.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Major-Gen Palit, the soldier who thought ahead
Major General D K Palit, who died in Delhi on April 3, at the old age of 89, was an exception to the adage that old soldiers never die, they just fade away.

General Palit was possibly more active in retirement than in service. A prolific writer and original thinker, he has had a profound influence on the strategic thinking and polices in the last two to three decades. He was indeed an exception to the general drought of military intellectuals that India has always suffered from.

But Palit was no armchair thinker, and his exploits in the first Jammu Kashmir War of 1947-48 are proof of that.

In command of the famed 3-battalion 9 Gorkha Rifles (which was part of the Chindits force in Burma in the Second World War) , he fought in the Poonch sector. Under his inspiring leadership, the battalion attacked and captured the 10,000-foot-high Mohammad ni Gali, that overlooks the strategic Haji Pir pass (which is the gateway to the Kashmir valley).

As battalion commander, he personally led the attack and was severely wounded in the operations and evacuated from the battlefield.

Unfortunately, the second in command (I think a British officer), lost his nerve in face of Pakistani counter-attack, and the Indian Army had to leave the Mohammed ni Gali feature. We could never regain that formidable feature and this loss has had a lasting effect on our position in Kashmir since the Haji Pir route continues to be used for infiltration into the valley. It must be noted that unlike the initial operations in October 1947, where the Indian Army faced tribal raiders, in Poonch it was the regular Pakistani army that we confronted. For this act of conspicuous bravery, Palit was awarded the Vir Chakra.

The second most important episode in his military career was his command of the 7 Brigade in the crucial Tawang sector on the China border in 1960-61. Subsequent to this he was the director general military operations during the 1962 India-China war. His actions in that crucial post have come under a lot of criticism.

In his own book, War in the high Himalayas, he admits that as 7 Brigade Commander he had never visited the Tsangdhar ridge (the scene of fighting) and his understanding of the terrain was faulty.

However, as the author of the official history of that war, I can vouch for one fact, that is all the faulty decisions and strategies in that ill-fated war flew from the basic premise 'China will never attack'. The origin of that premise was in the domination of the political and military space by Jawaharlal Nehru!

But even more than Palit's contribution to strategy and policy-making, he was a soldier-scholar at heart. It is this faculty of his that has made a lasting contribution to national defence.

He wrote several books and regimental histories, including the history of the regiment of artillery and arms of Jammu and Kashmir. But his most valuable contributions were Essentials of Military Knowledge and War in the Age of Nuclear Deterrence.

The first book is virtually a primer for all young officers to understand the basics of ground fighting. Illustrated with historical examples, Palit's book stimulates thinking. He vividly brings home the fact that while modern weapons have increased range and lethality, the basic principles of tactics and strategy remain the same.

The only work comparable to this is Infantry Attacks by the great German General Rommel. Generations of serious officers have been nurtured on this book, and Palit could well take the credit for single-handedly educating the Indian army's officer corps.

The second most important contribution of his is the book, War in the Age of Nuclear Deterrence. Looking at the plethora of books on nuclear strategy (of dubious worth) in the Indian market today, this may not be seen as such a major contribution.

But it must be remembered that this was written in the 1960s, and at that time the Indian army, even at the highest level, had little interest in nuclear war doctrines. This was regarded as 'their' (read Soviet and American) problem. I can vouch for the fact that even as late as 1979-80, only lip service was paid to nuclear war. More often than not, nuclear weapons were regarded as a mere 'appendix' to conventional war and discussed 10 minutes before lunch-break. Again, Palit was a visionary who saw its relevance and tried his best to educate Indians on this very crucial issue.

General Palit had a keen mind to spot the revolutionary changes that were taking place in the relationship between military tactics and technology. In an earlier era, it was military needs that dictated the inventions and new technology. But by the mid 20th century, technology had gained its own independent momentum and began to dictate tactics and even strategy. He saw this very clearly in the 1973 Yom Kippur war in the Middle East, where the range and capability of the Russian missile shield dictated the extent and timing of Egyptian attacks. He termed it 'tactics being reduced to weapon dialectic'.

His books were widely read not only in India but were compulsory reading in the training institutes of advanced countries like the UK and the US. Another of his seminal contribution to military thinking was his work on 'Malayan Insurgency'. He wrote regularly for newspapers and helped raise defence consciousness among the general public.

General Palit was an avid reader of military history and came to the conclusion that Indian military history, written mostly by the victors, had not been fair to Indians. To rectify this lacuna, he founded a research trust with the IDSA (Institute Of Defence Studies and Analyses). Since I was working on the history of post-Independence wars, he asked me to take up the first fellowship in 1991.

Since my area of interest was more contemporary, I was rather reluctant. But it was the question that he posed that made me accept the fellowship. The question was:

'The Marathas fought a glorious guerrilla war against the Mughal empire for 22 years and ultimately destroyed Mughal rule in India. How is it that against the British, the same Marathas gave up so tamely?' It was this that launched me on a quest that brought out that indeed, the Marathas fought the British equally bravely and the outcome at Assye and Wadgaon battles was a Maratha victory. But subsequently, since they ended up losing the war, this real history was buried under a pile of lies. The task of correcting distortions in our history is indeed gigantic, but it is General Palit who has initiated this long, thousand-mile journey.

General Palit is no more, but many Indians inspired by his books are carrying forward the Indian military tradition that is second to none. My final salute to the departed soul.

Photograph: Former West Bengal Governor Padmaja Naidu confers the Vir Chakra on Major-Gen D K Palit
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

Proposals cleared for creation of 110 more Generals in armed forces

Even as resentment persists in the armed forces over Pay Commission proposals, a bonanza is in the offing for senior ranks as the Defence Ministry has cleared proposals for creating more than 110 posts of Generals.

The proposal, which requires the nod of the Cabinet Committee on Security, would have a trickle-down effect as Brigadiers and Colonels in the army, Air Commodores and Group Captains in the Air Force and Commodores and Captains in the Navy would also be in line for being promoted.

The decks for these large-scale promotions have been cleared through the mediation of Defence Minister A K Antony who has made the three service Chiefs Gen Deepak Kapoor, Air Chief Marshal F H Major and Admiral Sureesh Mehta halt their bickerings and arrive at a "compromise formula" on the Phase two of the A V Singh Committee report.

Sources said the amended Committee report had now been finalised by the Defence Ministry and would be put up to the Cabinet Committee on Security(CCS) for final clearance next week.

Apparently as a prelude to the proposed promotions, the CCS today gave its approval for up gradation and creation of 117 new posts in the Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS), including creation of three posts of the rank of Lt Generals, 15 Major Generals and equivalent ranks in other two services and 82 in the ranks of Brigadiers.

The CCS also cleared up gradation of 16 posts in the Army Dental Corp(ADC) including creation of three new posts in the rank of Major Generals, nine brigadiers and four colonels.

The post of in-charge of the Nose and Throat section of the Army Medical Corp has also been upgraded to that of brigadier or equivalent rank in the IAF or Navy.

The decision, according to an official statement comes in the wake of significant changes in the role of the AFMS to prepare the country for nuclear and biological warfare.

The CCS also approved the proposals to change the ratio between Permanent and Short Service Commission Officers in the AFMS to 60:40 as against the present ratio of 70;30.

The promotions at the highest level in the armed forces were delayed as there were bickerings among the three services Army, Navy and Air Force on the share of new posts being created in three and two star General ranks.

The Army citing that it had more than 1.3 million men under arms staked claim to the lion's share in new posts, which was hotly contested by the Air Force and Navy.

This led to Antony holding two rounds of meetings with the three service Chiefs to arrive at a compromise formula.
jahaju
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jahaju »

Lt Gen Parmar is New DGMs (Army)
18:12 IST
Lt Gen Naresh Kumar Parmar took over as Director General Medical Services (Army) today. A graduate of MGM Medical College, Indore, was commissioned into Army Medical Corps on 11 Jul 1970. He did his Diploma in Hospital Administration from Pune University in 1980 and Masters in Hospital Administration from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi in 1989.

He has held important appointments of Training Officer at Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune, Commanding Officer of Field Hospital at Hunder (Siachen), Professor & Head of Department of Hospital Administration, AFMC Pune, Deputy Director General Medical Services (Personnel) in Directorate General of Medical Services (Army), Commandant, Command Hospital (Eastern Command), Major General (Medical), Eastern Command and Additional Director General Armed Forces Medical Services, New Delhi.

An alumnus of National Defence College, the General Officer was awarded Vir Chakra for act of gallantry during the Indo Pak War of 1971. He was awarded Vishist Seva Medal in 2004 and Ati Vishist Seva Medal in 2008 for his unflinching dedication to the cause of service.
PIB Press Release
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Re: Armed Forces Senior Appointments & Officers

Post by putnanja »

Lt Gen Jasbir Singh to head Infantry
The government has appointed Lt Gen Jasbir Singh as the new Director General of Infantry at the Army headquarters in New Delhi, a month after the post fell vacant following the retirement of incumbent Lt Gen Rajendra Singh.

Commissioned in the Dogra regiment in 1972, Lt Gen Jasbir Singh is an alumnus of National Defence Academy and a graduate of Defence Services Staff College, Wellington.

During his 36 years of service, he has held various staff and command appointments, which include a three-year-long tenure as Defence Attache in Myanmar.

He has commanded an infantry battalion and division in counter-insurgency operations in Jammu & Kashmir and a brigade in the western sector.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... or/407871/

Sub-inspector rises to become CBI's Joint Director

New Delhi
History was made on Wednesday at CBI after one of its officer, who joined the agency as sub-inspector, was promoted as a Joint Director, the first such incident in the 67 years of its existence.
M Narayanan, who till Tuesday was DIG Special crimes Region (Delhi), was promoted as Joint Director in the Special Crime division.

Narayanan joined the agency 38 years ago as a Sub-Inspector after being inducted in the CBI cadre. He has worked in various capacities in CBI and was decorated with Police medal for Meritorious services in 1992 and President's Police medal for Distinguished Service in 1999.

Considered an ace detective, he has successfully solved high-profile cases like hijacking of Indian Airlines plane in 1999 to Kandahar (IC-814), assassination of former Army Chief Gen A S Vadiya, terrorism related cases in Punjab and Jammu and Kashmir and investigating the rape allegations against controversial self-claimed godman of Dera Sacha Sauda Gurmeet Ram Rahim.

“In the history of CBI, he is the only officer who could reach the level of Joint Director or Inspector General of Police from the rank of Sub-Inspector,” a colleague of Narayanan said.
Not really an armed forces story, but I couldnt find the police thread. Regardless, an incredible story!!
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

http://www.samaylive.com/news/new-vice- ... 03088.html
New vice chief of Army takes over

Tags: Lieutenant General , Noble Thamburaj , New Delhi

Published: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 at 22:10 IST

New Delhi, Jan 1: Lieutenant General Noble Thamburaj assumed office as the new Vice Chief of Army Staff.

Lt Gen Thamburaj takes over from Lt Gen M L Naidu, who retired from service yesterday, Defence Ministry said here.

Commissioned in 1969 into Bombay Sappers, Lt Gen Thamburaj, a second generation officer, is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy.

Before taking over as the vice chief, the General Officer was the Army's Southern Commander. He has been decorated with a Sena Medal and has won the Army Staff Commendation Card twice in his career.

A keen paratrooper, he has commanded a Rastriya Rifles Sector in the counter-insurgency operations and an Infantry Division during 'Operation Parakram' in the deserts.

He also saw action during Indo-Pak war and in the C-I operations in both Jammu and Kashmir and the North East.
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

Punjab DGP Aulakh new NSG chief

Chandigarh, Feb 27: Punjab Director General of Police N P S Aulakh has been appointed as the new chief of the elite National Security Guards (NSG) and will assume charge on March one.

Aulakh, a 1972-batch IPS officer, will replace J K Dutta who is retiring tomorrow, official sources said here Friday.

He was appointed the Punjab DGP in March 2007 after the formation of Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD)-BJP combine government in the state. Aulakh is to retire in August 2010.

Aulakh has served as Deputy Inspector General (BSF) in Kashmir and also as additional Director General (West) in the Border Security Force.

The Punjab government had forwarded his name for the central deputation recently. It received a communication from the Ministry of Home Affairs on Thursday, the sources said.

Bureau Report
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

What is the badge Gen . Noble is wearing right on top/next to the missile badge( and below the para badge) on top of his right breast pocket?
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

LT Gen AS Lamba appointed colonel commandant of artillery
Lieutenant General Arvinder Singh Lamba, General Officer Commanding, Sudarshan Chakra Corps has been appointed Colonel Commandant Regiment of Artillery, today.

The General was commissioned into the Regiment of Artillery in Jun 1971 and is a recipient of the coveted Ati Vishisht Seva Medal. The Officer has a vast experience of conventional as well as Counter Insurgency operations, having participated in the 1971 Indo – Pak War and served on almost all fronts including Nagaland, Manipur and Sri Lanka with the Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF).

The General is a graduate of Defence Services Staff Course, Higher Command and RCDS at the Royal College of Defence Studies in United Kingdom. He has held numerous important appointments at all levels including in the Army Headquarters. The General Officer has been an instructor at important Army Training Establishments ie the Indian Military Academy and the Defence Services Staff College.
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

ACM P V Naik takes over as IAF chief
31 May 2009, 1447 hrs IST, PTI

NEW DELHI: Air Chief Marshal Pradeep Vasant Naik, a veteran fighter pilot, on Sunday took over as chief of Indian Air Force replacing ACM F H Major.

With this change of guard, the command of IAF is back in the hands of a fighter pilot after 26 months. ACM Major, who retired today, was a helicopter pilot.
Born in Nagpur, ACM Naik was commissioned into the IAF on June 21, 1969 as a fighter pilot. With over 3,000 hours of combat aircraft flying hours under his belt, the 59-year-old alumnus of National Defence Academy, had also participated in 1971 Indo-Pak war and held various command and instructional appointments in his career spanning over 40 years.

Prior to taking over as the air chief, he was the Vice Chief of the Air Staff and commanded the Allahabad-based central Air Command as well.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

sum wrote:What is the badge Gen . Noble is wearing right on top/next to the missile badge( and below the para badge) on top of his right breast pocket?
T-90 Missile firing badge( (CLGM Qualified Badge) its a T-90 with Silver Lines on black background Firing a missile)
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

I don't know if this is the right thread?

Questions for gurus:
1) Is BSF cheif appointed by defense ministry or home ministry?
2) Why do they use the word superannuated instead of just retired?

Raman Srivastava takes over as BSF chief

NEW DELHI - Raman Srivastava, an IPS officer of the Kerala cadre, assumed charge as Director General of the Border Security Force (BSF) on Saturday.

Talking to reporters after taking charge, Srivastava said, “There are gaps in the border protection, which should be filled. The border is very long. There are gaps and we have to fill those. We have to further strengthen the organisation.”

On the BSF’s role in curbing the smuggling of narcotics and fake Indian currency, he said: “The BSF is doing great. We have to see if there are chances of improvement.”

He also said the BSF is ready to take up anti-Naxal operations.

“The BSF has always dealt with insurgency besides guarding the border. Fighting the Naxals will be slightly different but the force will rise to any challenge that is posed to it,” he added.

Srivastava replaces M.L.Kumawat who superannuated on July 31
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2009/09/in ... ments.html
Lt Gen Baljit Singh Jaswal (photo) takes over as the Indian Army's GOC-in-C Northern Command on October 1. He takes office after incumbent Lt Gen Prabodh Chand Bhardwaj takes on strength as Vice Chief of Army Staff (VCOAS) on October 1. Lt Gen AS Lamba, currently Chief of Staff at the Army's Shimla-based training command (ARTRAC) will take over as GOC-in-C, ARTRAC. The appointment of Lt Gen Bhardwaj as Vice Chief had created a stir in the Army (and the Press), though this does not in any way upset the succession scene. The Army's current Eastern Commander, Lt Gen Vijay Kumar Singh, is still in line to be the next Chief of Army Staff when the current Chief, General Deepak Kapoor, retires next March.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

Lt Gen SR Ghosh to be GOC-in-C of Western Command
He is a graduate of Staff College and Higher Command course. His commands include a brigade in active sector on line of control where he was awarded Sena Medal, GOC of a division in strike corps and GOC of a strike corps.
Ankit
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Lt Gen A K Singh made GOC of elite force
NEW DELHI: Lieutenant General AK Singh has been appointed as the General Officer Commanding (GOC) of the elite 1 Strike Corps based in Mathura. Lt Gen Singh, who is an armoured officer commissioned into the 7th Light Cavalry, will take over his new appointment in December. The officer has been posted in the departments of military ops, foreign division and perspective planning at Army Headquarters.