Indian Army History Thread

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rajput
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Indian Army History Thread

Post by Rajput »

Surya wrote:Yes I have a problem with what you said - because this kind of sounds like glorifying an individual unnecessarily.

Err you claim - you have to prove.

But if you cannot no need to get worked up :mrgreen:
"Unnecessarily" ? LOL. Listen, <EDITED> the Government of India glorified him plenty by awarding him an MVC for his bravery (that's "Maha Vir Chakra", the second-highest award for gallantry in the country; and not "Model-View-Controller" as you're probably thinking); HH doesn't need me to glorify him. Do you think a post on a forum on the Internet is of more value than an MVC?? I know what I have heard from people who served with him, and took part in the action.

Oh, and another thing: HH used to earn a token salary of Re 1/year from the GoI for his service in the Army. He had enough money to do whatever he pleased.
Last edited by Jagan on 15 Feb 2010 05:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Be Nice - dont start a flame war.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Precisely my friend

You took "unnecessary" in the wrong sense.

When he has a MVC - the unverified stories of generosity are unnecessary

Having said that let me check on this story.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Re: Help with research on the 1971 Indo-Pakistan War

Post by Airavat »

Piers wrote: Im also looking for details of the 10th Para Commando and their jeeps.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

As per Ramana garu's request ,i have scanned some pages from the book dealing with 1967 Nathu la clashes with china as well as some of the interesting information regarding the 1962 border clash.
Ramana, I have this book with me. We can set a book exchange at the next all- CA meet (about we had one).
Piers
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Piers »

Once again, thank you guys for your help, some very useful material here.

I had not heard that 10th Para Commando had Landies, I have only seen reference to Jongas, but I would not be surprised to see them being used given their off-road capability. Whether accurate at not, for a wargamer like me, and the lack of a Jonga model, it gives me an option to persue.

As an aside, these are the first of the Indian figures I have painted up over the weekend, they are 20mm tall and sculpted by a friend of mine. We are working on yet more figures for this period as well as their enemies...

I would value any opinion on how the colours look. Do the uniforms give the look of Indian forces from the period???

Also I have a more specific query regarding infantry anti-tank assets.

What infantry Anti-tank weapons did the Indian Army use? I have seen Pakistani troops with RPGs and the Bazooka but I cant find any pics or reference to Indian weapons?

Also what recoilless rifles were in use? I have seen many on jeeps but Im still having difficulty actually identifying them...

Also were the Recoilless Rifles ever used on ground mounts, or were they used exclusively from jeep mountings? Did infantry units possess organic RR units?

Finally, did the Indian Army makes use of any anti-tank guns? I have a reference made to the British 6-Pounder Anti-Tank gun still being used in 1971, but I believe this reference may refer to the 1965 War. Anyone know if they were used in either war?

Once again, many thanks with your help.
Venu
BRFite

Post by Venu »

Right most figure looks more like an Indian soldier.

Aren't the others with Khaki shirt and green pants, a typical Pakistani soldier attire.

Piers, you better go for a total olive green ones for Indian Soldiers.

JMT
Piers
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Piers »

Thanks.

The guys are actually wearing the Indian Army khaki jumper rather than jackets.

From what I have seen, Pakistani uniforms seemed to be desert yellow jackets and trousers with a khaki jumper often being worn.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Piers wrote:I had not heard that 10th Para Commando had Landies, I have only seen reference to Jongas
There are few pics of the 10th Para raids out there. The ever popular one shows the Jonga. Airavats page has one pic showing the Mahindra Jeep. I have seen a few more pics that are not on the net but in some book, they all show only Jeeps or Jongas. No LandRovers. So the assumption is that the Landrovers (if Rajput is correct in that they had actually been procured) were not actually used during the war.
Piers wrote:What infantry Anti-tank weapons did the Indian Army use? I have seen Pakistani troops with RPGs and the Bazooka but I cant find any pics or reference to Indian weapons?
Piers wrote:Also were the Recoilless Rifles ever used on ground mounts, or were they used exclusively from jeep mountings? Did infantry units possess organic RR units?

Finally, did the Indian Army makes use of any anti-tank guns? I have a reference made to the British 6-Pounder Anti-Tank gun still being used in 1971, but I believe this reference may refer to the 1965 War. Anyone know if they were used in either war?

Mostly RCL Guns mounted on Jeeps. But i believe they also had RCLs mounted on portable ground mounts.

Never seen or heard the 6 lber being used in the 71 war.

The figures look good - the helmet / headgear however seemed to differ from sector to sector. YOu also had this hat which was quite popular
Piers
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Piers »

Thanks Jagan.

I am hopefully going to get some figures made wearing the Indian field cap, I really like how it looks and it seems to have been a popular form of headwear.

I have just received some recoilless rifle models, but I think they are more 75mm than the 105mm ones the Indian Army seems to have used.

Shame on the 6-Pounder... I just bought four of them! :roll: :D
Rajput
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rajput »

Surya wrote: When he has a MVC - the unverified stories of generosity are unnecessary
What is more expensive: a landrover, or taking no salary from the government? Add up the years of service, and come to your own conclusion.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

proof gives us the best conclusion :)

will find out
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

But i believe they also had RCLs mounted on portable ground mounts.
I don't remember seeing a pic of that. got a link somewhere ?

p.s. who has the PVC recordings, you or shiv ji ?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Piers wrote:Thanks Jagan.

I am hopefully going to get some figures made wearing the Indian field cap, I really like how it looks and it seems to have been a popular form of headwear.

I have just received some recoilless rifle models, but I think they are more 75mm than the 105mm ones the Indian Army seems to have used.

Shame on the 6-Pounder... I just bought four of them! :roll: :D
With respect to the bolded part: The caliber of RCL in IA service was 106mm.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Battle of Basantar / Battle of Barapind (Dec 4 - Dec 16, 1971)
This is the chicken neck area. Pakistan has always had a fetish for this area and have always sought to attack here to try and cut off J&K from the Indian Mainland. The reason is that from the IB there is a flat area of some 80-100 Km wide before high mountains begin to the east. There is essentially one road and one railway line between Pathankot and Jammu. Cutting this off means that supply to J&K will be in trouble. To this day, 63 years later and 3 major wars later, India has not sought to rectify the situation by building an all weather road from shimla to leh so that J&K can have 24x7x365 supply route.

This is the battle where Maj. Hoshiar Singh Cheema used his anti tank gun with devastating effect on the pakistani tanks and was awarded the PVC.

References:
http://pakistan-observer.blogspot.com/2 ... chive.html
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Rahul M wrote: p.s. who has the PVC recordings, you or shiv ji ?
I am also looking for those.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Indian soldiers faced Japanese attack first

Contrary to the general impression that US naval personnel stationed at Pearl Harbour in Hawaii were the first to be attacked by the Japanese that resulted in US’ entry into World War II, the first to face the Japanese onslaught was an Indian army unit comprising Dogras from Jammu on the beach at Kota Bharu on the north-eastern coast of Malaya.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

I have the history of the 2nd and 3rd in that theatre if any one is interested..

Jai Dogra...
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ks_sachin wrote:I have the history of the 2nd and 3rd in that theatre if any one is interested..

Jai Dogra...
Please summarize if you can.

Thanks, ramana
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

BBC series - The forgotten volunteers - Indian Army in WW2

5 Parts - Posting part 1. The rest are associated with this one.

Uri_T
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Uri_T »

My name id Uri I live in Haifa Israel

I took some pictures of the Indian Army cemetery from 1918 W.W 1 in
Haifa
The Indian Army took major roll in the liberation of Haifa from the Turks

I went to give honor to the Indian solders

http://picasaweb.google.com/urihaifa/IndianArmyHaifa#

http://idf-armor.blogspot.com/
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Airavat wrote:Indian soldiers faced Japanese attack first

Contrary to the general impression that US naval personnel stationed at Pearl Harbour in Hawaii were the first to be attacked by the Japanese that resulted in US’ entry into World War II, the first to face the Japanese onslaught was an Indian army unit comprising Dogras from Jammu on the beach at Kota Bharu on the north-eastern coast of Malaya.
Just today a Japanese asked me if he was at the correct railway station. :P
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Has anyone read this book?

Google books
Gentlemen of the Raj: Indian Army Officers from 1817-1949
deWalker
BRFite -Trainee

Post by deWalker »

Uri_T wrote:My name id Uri I live in Haifa Israel

Haifa

Uri,

Thank you for posting these pictures. This is one of many grounds that hold remains of fallen Indian soldiers who died fighting in distant lands. North Africa, Flanders, Palestine, Sicily, Verdun, Malay, Burma, South Africa and other places continue to carry a piece of Indian bravery with them forever.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

India sir is different we have never been the guilty party in each of our confrontations with the TSP , we had the advantage in 65 as well as in 1998 it is just that brass at the top chickened out plain and simple.Dhimmis and self appointed strategic experts can come up with excuse like US's 'xth fleet and stuff , but then I ask who was stopping the bunch of thumb twiddlers to sanction funds for an ICBM programme all this while , we had the deliverable back in 1974 had their been an ICBM in 1998 the dogs backing the TSP would have remained in their kennel.
India was not at that much of an advantage in 65, there was no US Sixth fleet threat in 65 or 71 (Then it was the seventh fleet and no, that was NOT the reason either for the ceasefire) and if you mean by a "Deliverable" - unless you meant an Ashok Leyland - no we did not have a delivarable in 74. And it is so easy for us to sit in judgement decades after the fact.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Jagan wrote: India was not at that much of an advantage in 65
much of a ...what is that supposed to mean ? Afaik we had more territory under our control as compared to what TSPA had and with their armor column depleted we managed to agree on a stalemate ?

there was no US Sixth fleet threat in 65 or 71 (Then it was the seventh fleet and no, that was NOT the reason either for the ceasefire)
Where did I say 6th fleet ?
and if you mean by a "Deliverable" - unless you meant an Ashok Leyland - no we did not have a delivarable in 74.
You did not get the point i.e. if technology was demonstrated in 74 itself what stopped us from getting it to deliverable standards along side a delivery platform until 1998 (no N power has taken so much time between its first test and deploying its nuclear arsenal , it was all political posturing until PVN and ABV's tenure) , where did I even mention about it being ready for use in 74 ?

The point being hammered here is the ostensible reasons being highlighted for inaction are in fact themselves a result of incompetence and lack of intent at the helm.

Btw even today given the ambiguity around our arsenal I wonder if it is meant for future experts and GOI apologists to explain as to how the BOMB was not ready.

And it is so easy for us to sit in judgement decades after the fact.
Ah the last statement of defense, one can accept it 'ONCE' ok for SDRE India's sake 'TWICE' but no lessons learnt even after 50 years of the first act of aggression ? GOI claimed to have learnt its lessons in 98 only to be taken by surprise in 2008 I am sure we will have more colorful excuses in store for the future, oh yes every time the one's who would question the GOI's conduct will be silenced using same lines i.e. 'easy to do postmortem' , 'US and its naval armada', 'hunger and poverty being more important' all this for sheer failure to prosecute grass eaters.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

negi wrote:
much of a ...what is that supposed to mean ? Afaik we had more territory under our control as compared to what TSPA had and with their armor column depleted we managed to agree on a stalemate ?
At the end of the war - Pakistan may have been running low on reserves etc - but we had no way of knowing it. Even if we had continued the war, The immediate gains that could be made at the time of the ceasefire were limited - apart from making a few miles of progress - and losing hundreds of soldiers there wasnt much to achieve. Sure we held some territory of theirs. and they were holding ours (Chamb-Jaurian, KhemKaran, some desert bits in Rajasthan).

We didnt have any magic reserve of troops that we could bring on them at short notice for dramatic results. Additionally, the government had been under severe international pressure to accept the ceasefire - that coupled with the loss of thousands of lives lost didnt make the prospect of a long war any attractive. Every 1 in a 100 soldiers was either dead wounded, or a POW. (Kargil - the rate was 1 in 500).

Where did I say 6th fleet ?
Sorry i read your xth fleet comment as sixth fleet. Eithe way I never made the comment that is presence had anything to do with the ceasefire in 71. The ceasefire in 71 was the result of tremendous international pressure (Again). The Official HIstory has all the gory details of it.
The point being hammered here is the ostensible reasons being highlighted for inaction are in fact themselves a result of incompetence and lack of intent at the helm.

Lack of intent - yes probably - Incompetence? No - else you would have had sastri roll down and play dead with Kashmir going to Pak in 65, and and IG not grasping the opportunity to carve out Bangladesh. Neither of them were incompetent in anyway.
every time the one's who would question the GOI's conduct will be silenced using same lines i.e. 'easy to do postmortem' , 'US and its naval armada', 'hunger and poverty being more important' all this for sheer failure to prosecute grass eaters.

Nobody is silencing you - Its your right to state your opinion, and others to question it or put theirs.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

History buffs will be interested in reading this. I recall my uncle telling me Italian POWs were placed in camps in Kolar and units of British Indian army were were stationed there. He met one of them when he went to Italy for work and found that the old geezer was an local expert in Hinduism by virtue of his knowledge of the "Monkey God".

These camps might be the location for the current UAV test facility there/Chitradurga. We need to to recoup knowledge of these camps in WWII before the older generation passes away.
One of the most intriguing organized units involved in road building [in India] was the Italian Auxiliary Pioneer Corps. This was raised from so-called Italian 'co-operators'. During 8th Army's campaigns against the Italians in 1941 and 1942, thousands of Italians had been brought to POW camps in India as they could not be taken to Britain. At first, the Italians were something of a nuisance in a jocular sort of way. They were adept at spreading anti-Allied propaganda to the Indian population – for example on the backs of cigarette packs with one or two cigarettes left in them. British military intelligence was particularly struck by one jape. The POWs had fabricated an Italian fascist flag from old clothes. They captured a vulture which flew into their compound and tied the flag to it. The unfortunate bird was seen flapping around the surrounding villages for hours displaying the insignia of Mussolini's new Roman Empire. After the fall of the dictator and the German invasion of Italy, however, many Italian soldiers who were not committed fascists agreed to work on the Allied side. The valleys of Assam were alive with the sounds of the songs of Sorrento. SOURCE: Forgotten Armies: Britain's Asian Empire & the War with Japan, by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper (Penguin, 2004), p. 426
Posted by Joel at 4/06/2006 03:05:00 PM
http://faroutliers.blogspot.com/2006/04 ... -1944.html

one of the comments in the blog....
This is one of most ill researched piece on Italian POW's I have come across. There were about 100,000 Italian POWs in India by 1945 and they were spread over 28 camps and these were all over British India.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

In February 1944 he left for the Far East and flew the Liberator bomber before taking command, in November, of the newly-formed No 358 Squadron at Kolar, in southern India.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... -Farr.html

RAF squadrons were placed at Kolar in WWII
ManjaM
BRFite

Post by ManjaM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallianwala_Bagh_massacre

Jallianwala is also part of Indian army history.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Today, Sept 17, is Hyderabad Liberation Day
However, historical documents with the Ministry of Defence codenamed it ‘Operation Polo’ (renamed Operation Caterpillar) and described it as “surrender and accession”. It was officially called a ‘police action’though it was in fact a purely Indian military operation.

In fact, September 17 is a misnomer. Though the war diary of the Third Battalion of the 11 Gorkha Rifles states it was in the vanguard of the strike force, a Group of 1 Armoured Division of the expeditionary column of the Indian Army had reached Patancheru (now Medak district). If at all anybody has to celebrate September 17, it should be the Indian Army regiments that participated in Operation Caterpillar. For all intents and purposes, Hyderabad became the 562nd princely State to accede to India on January 26, 1950, says Capt. Lingala Pandu Ranga Reddy, a retired army captain of the 11 Gorkha Rifles who made a study of the Hyderabad Liberation.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Airavat wrote:Today, Sept 17, is Hyderabad Liberation Day
However, historical documents with the Ministry of Defence codenamed it ‘Operation Polo’ (renamed Operation Caterpillar) and described it as “surrender and accession”. It was officially called a ‘police action’though it was in fact a purely Indian military operation.

In fact, September 17 is a misnomer. Though the war diary of the Third Battalion of the 11 Gorkha Rifles states it was in the vanguard of the strike force, a Group of 1 Armoured Division of the expeditionary column of the Indian Army had reached Patancheru (now Medak district). If at all anybody has to celebrate September 17, it should be the Indian Army regiments that participated in Operation Caterpillar. For all intents and purposes, Hyderabad became the 562nd princely State to accede to India on January 26, 1950, says Capt. Lingala Pandu Ranga Reddy, a retired army captain of the 11 Gorkha Rifles who made a study of the Hyderabad Liberation.
The TIME-LIFE archive on Google Images has some first class photographs of the Hyderabad Action as taken by two of the LIFE correspondents on the ground. Some great photos in there

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&biw= ... =&gs_rfai=

eg http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/f5f15528028df0c6_large
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Its called police action as its in support of civil authorities as opposed to military. Its not a misnomer unless one thinks police are like pandus.
Vanan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vanan »

Actually, there was police involved, the Malabar Special Police (MSP) was sent in first with the regular army following...the army sped through leaving the MSP to hold a few areas with mostly lathis..... my late grandfather who was in the MSP then had ton of stories to relate about those days....there is still some war loot from that time at our home....apparently there was quite a lot when he initially came back home !

after lurking for a long time...finally something I know a little about !
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Vanan wrote:Actually, there was police involved, the Malabar Special Police (MSP) was sent in first with the regular army following...
Interesting !! :). Malabar Special Police has a unique history. It was raised by the British some where in 1920s to quell the Mappilah Rebellion in parts of British Malabar (today's Palakkad,Malappuram,Kozhikode districts in Kerala). They recieved extensive training from good British Indian Army battalions and went on many joint operations with them. In Kerala, they were the first to have been trained in wireless communications (the next in line being the Special Armed Police, Thiruvananthapuram). After quelling the Mappilah Rebellion, they were also deputed to quell some trouble in (today's) Andhra Pradesh. When the state reorganisation happened 6 companies of MSP was given to Tamil Nadu. If I am not mistaken, these companies were NOT known as Malabar Special Police and now could be some where in Tamil Nadu. The 6 companies given to Kerala, retain the name of Malabar Special Police (MSP) with its H.Q at Malappuram.
Uri_T
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Uri_T »

deWalker wrote:
Uri_T wrote:My name id Uri I live in Haifa Israel

Haifa

Uri,

Thank you for posting these pictures. This is one of many grounds that hold remains of fallen Indian soldiers who died fighting in distant lands. North Africa, Flanders, Palestine, Sicily, Verdun, Malay, Burma, South Africa and other places continue to carry a piece of Indian bravery with them forever.

A new post about the Indian Army in Palestine 1918 Haifa day and the Haifa Indian Army
Memorial site
http://www.idf-armor.blogspot.com/
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Jagan wrote:
Veterans recall Marathwada liberation struggle
The Hyderabad Police Action, code-named Operation Polo, was a military operation in which the Indian armed forces annexed the princely state of Hyderabad and ended the rule of the Nizam of Hyderabad.
:
:
Gangaprasad Agrawal, who was part of the armed struggle against Nizam's police, said people were fed up with the atrocities committed under Nizam's rule.
Sumit
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sumit »

Hi Guys,

Not sure if you got a chance to read this

http://www.indiandefencereview.com/2010 ... hakra.html

I compiled this article for sify in 2009 & its on IDR's website now. Please go through the write-up & lemme know if you like it. Waiting for feedback:)
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Sachini teh British Collector who quelled the Mapillah riots was named Rutherford. He was sent to Andhra to deal with the rebellion by Alluri Sitaramaraju in Vizag tribal agency areas.
He might have brought some of the MSP with him.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I am trying to gather data on Telugu soldiers since the fall of the kaktiyas. i find cursory references to their serving the Vijayanagar, Bahmani Sultanate and its succseeors, the Marathas and the East India Company. Usually there is a refs to Telinga contingents. The big picture is depite the loss of kingdoms and empires the Telugu soldiers carried on the martial traditions. This is quite a neglected part of history.