UAVs, Drones, Remote Surveillance Tech

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
PratikDas
BRFite

Re: UAVs, Drones, Remote Surveillance Tech

Post by PratikDas »

Cross posting from the aircraft recognition thread...

EnglishRussia: New UAV For The Russian Forces
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

Desi UAV efforts taking flight for India
The domain of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) has unsurprisingly emerged as a focus area for indigenous military development and production efforts. Indeed domestic UAV programmes are serving as a draw for the private sector with participation from both medium and small scale enterprises (MSME) as well as large conglomerates. And besides the usual clutch of sub-assemblies, major sub-systems such as sensor payloads and engines are also being increasingly sourced from Indian industry.

The flagship UAV programme at the moment is the Rustom-II being developed in the lead by the Defence Research and Development Organisation's (DRDO's) Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) based in Bangalore. The Rustom-II is a medium altitude long endurance (MALE) UAV with an altitude ceiling of 32,000 feet and an endurance of up to 35 hours. This bird is being designed to meet the needs of all three services with different configurations, naturally. However, while the Indian Navy (IN) version is slated to carry mostly electro-optical payloads and maritime patrol radar, the Indian Army (IA) and Indian Air force (IAF) versions are a more involved proposition tailored to carry Electronic Intelligence (ELINT), Communications Intelligence (COMINT) and Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) packages as well. In fact a new indigenously developed airborne Ku-band SAR scheduled to commence trials this year on a flying test bed will eventually take pride of place on the Rustom-2.

Two Rustom-2 prototypes have been developed thus far, one of which was displayed at Defexpo 2014 in Pragati Maidan, New Delhi. The programme is currently in iterative development mode with refinements in aerodynamic shaping underway and it is likely that a total of eight prototypes will be built with the last one serving as the base for production variants. While the target weight for the Rustom is roughly around 1800 kilograms (kgs), the current prototypes are about 400 kgs over that benchmark. Moreover it is unlikely that the final variant will be less than 2100 Kgs. With that figure in mind and typical margins for capability growth, DRDO has decided to fit the Rustom-2 with new diesel engines.

As such the two existing 125 HP Rotax 914 engines (one on each wing) are slated to be replaced by new 200 HP class diesel engines supplied by Lycoming. Interestingly, the new engine configuration is slated to be indigenized with a domestically developed equivalent as a result of a collaborative effort between DRDO's Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (VRDE) and Tech Mahindra. The Rustom-2's private sector footprint obviously extends into the MSME sector as well. For instance, Bangalore based FLOTECH Engineering & Trading services is supplying aircraft fuel rigs for the Rustom-2 while Nfotec Digital Engineering Pvt. Ltd from the same city is providing CAD design and CFD analysis support services to the program.

Slated to take to the skies for the first time this year, Rustom-2 prototypes will soon enter a phase wherein critical operational safety aspects such as waypoint navigation back to the nearest friendly airbase in the event of satellite link failure at distances which are also beyond VHF line of sight and the fine tuning of the on board traffic collision avoidance system (TCAS) will be worked upon. After all the operational altitude of the Rustom-2 (i.e 30000 feet) is basically where most civilian airliners fly today. Of course in the near future Indian air traffic control regulations will need to be modified to accommodate the growth of UAV flights in the country. For the moment, the Rustom-2 is confined to military airspace.

The other indigenous UAV bearing legendary Aerospace scientist and engineer, Rustom B. Damania's name, the Rustom-I is also set for interesting times ahead. As revealed by Dr K. Tamilmani, Director-General Aeronautical systems, DRDO, to Geek at Large, Rustom-I is likely to be India's first armed UAV and work is underway to integrate the Helina (which is the air-launched version of the Nag anti-tank missile) with it. Carriage trials are expected to begin this September. The Rustom-2 which will also carry munitions eventually will see weapon release trials in 2017.

Meanwhile, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has bitten the bullet on the Nishant UAV which is already in service with the IA and some 16 units of a customized version are set to find place in its inventory. Given the terrain in which the CRPF variant will be operated, DRDO labs have worked together to reduce the number of support vehicles for it by a third. Importantly, the CRPF version will fly with an indigenously developed wankel rotary engine with a rating of 55 HP replacing its current ALVIS AR-801 engine.

This engine developed by VRDE is already under production at a private facility operated by SMC in Hyderabad with eight sets scheduled to be delivered soon. The indigenous engine which can apparently be uprated to 65 HP will also power the conventional take-off and landing (CTOL) version of the Nishant which weighs some 25 kgs more than the current truck-launched version and will see its first conventional take-off in April this year.

To understand the large domestic private sector footprint of the Nishant program it could be noted that the GIS solution for it has come from Pegasus software consultants, Digitronics has provided power supply, Meru Precision Industries has supported the development of many sub-assemblies and the Gimballed Payload Assembly and Servo Electronic System has come from Tata Power SED.

The big story of course is the progressive indigenization of the propulsion system for these UAV programs. Propulsion after all is that one thing that stands between the Indian aerospace sector becoming more or less sufficient ( naturally more intense efforts on airborne fire control radars is also required) and being dependent on the West or Russia. I would go out on a limb to say that the pursuit of propulsion technology in general should be elevated to the level of a national ideology in India and effective resources must be made available to this objective. I'll leave you with this video of the Rustom-2 undergoing engine ground runs and taxi trials at its home facility.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Kailash wrote:Desi UAV efforts taking flight for India
As such the two existing 125 HP Rotax 914 engines (one on each wing) are slated to be replaced by new 200 HP class diesel engines supplied by Lycoming. Interestingly, the new engine configuration is slated to be indigenized with a domestically developed equivalent as a result of a collaborative effort between DRDO's Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (VRDE) and Tech Mahindra.
Heartiest commendations to Saurav Jha. He is a reporter to be keep and follow. He does not bring rehashed information and presents new information without his own judgement. I really like him.

I had got myself all tangled up on a new tender by ADE for a new diesel engine for Rustom-2 a few pages back. His report clearly answers why it is required. A few pros and cons:
Pros:
1. Mahindra Tech will be able to absorb the technology especially given the fact that most aero-diesel engines are derivatives of their automobile counterparts.
2. It will give Rustom-2 a longer endurance and lower operational costs and noise.
3. Probably they can standardize this engine for Rustom-1/2 and Hansa planes/UAV.

Cons:
1. Yet another new engine on a new airframe.!
2. Where is the volume to absorb the high costs of development and certification? Lycoming bosses are themselves not sure! Lycoming has been trying aero-diesel engines for a while, but indicators from last year show that they are going to play safe. Probably this is their exit strategy.

P.S. A nationalistic keera in me is happy that we should probably get into this very interesting field. China is one up on us with AVIC now owning Continental Motors, Inc. which has a long history of making aero-diesel engines. Though their engines are a generation behind SMA (Safran) which are probably the market leaders in aero-diesel engines currently.

P.S. VRDE had a tender to co-develop a 130 HP class aero-diesel engine earlier. I think that the specifications will be changed now.
gnair
BRFite -Trainee

Post by gnair »

So they are getting rid of the Rotax and replacing it with 200HP diesels certainly are a good way to go. Point being, if Rust2 is intended to be operated at between FL250-300 (25-30,000ft) for an endurance exceeding 24hrs, then the Rotax certainly does not cut it. And if it's diesel powered, fuel is not a problem from any base, as it can be loaded up with Jet-A and eases fuel logistics. The only aircraft in IAF fleet that is non Jet-A is the HPT 32, and they've been permanently grounded anyways.
The other advantage is resistance to engine icing, should temp. dip below 0 degrees. Diesels have better resistance to icing conditons than avgas/traditional carburated pistons. It shouldn't make a difference on a hot Indian Ocean day but north of the Himalayas, the lapse rate may not be in favor for a significant portion of the year at the intended cruise alt.
More questions though for anyone in the know......1) Is landing gear fixed or retractable? 2) Props variable or fixed pitch? 3) De-icing boots on wings/stabilizer on later models? 4) Single engine ops? Hope Saurav Jha's queries would cover these areas. It's turning out to be a beauty so far, great work! Any inspiration from Grob/Germany for wing design? And lastly a suggestion for TPE-331 if there is a heavy lift payload requirement on the same airframe as part of the evolutionary process.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

1) Landing gear is retractable.
2) Props will be hydraulically controlled constant speed feathering propeller.
gnair
BRFite -Trainee

Post by gnair »

indranilroy wrote:1) Landing gear is retractable.
2) Props will be hydraulically controlled constant speed feathering propeller.
Thank you Sir!
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

More photos of Rustom-2 here.

Rustom-H and Rustom-2 seem to be the same thing?

Hope those small turbofans soon become good enough to churn out in the hundreds for cheap. Along with Sudarshans and Helinas. If we are using them on UAVs, quantity will have its own quality.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Rustom H and Rustom2 are ofcourse the same vehicle.
alexis
BRFite

Post by alexis »

So in MALE segment, we have Rustom 1, Rustom 1 armed and Rustom 2.
Any update on HALE uav?
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

I wish we go the whole hog and equip Rustom with Garrett turboprop engines.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

To do what? You are speaking of 3.5 times of the intended installed power.

However, Victor sahab's proposition to having to laghu-shakti powered Rustom-2 is very very interesting. Had never thought of it. May be a easy path to a armed HALE version.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Unless they put some real good electronic payloads into these UAVs, they are really not going to be worth much.

It'll just be a flying craft which many sophisticated hobbyists in the US can already build with COTS. Hobbyists in the US can already build large, jet powered, fully autonomous drones.

Hopefully India is going to start focusing on the the electronic & elint payload for these UAVs beyond just cameras.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

Credit Randy M of Military Photos

vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

TATA Mini UAV (Did this win the competition for supply of mini-UAVs to army?)

http://i.imgur.com/Jx7103F.jpg
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

Few pic i had taken of Rustom-2. i also notice six pylons under the wings which may be hard point to carry armed stuff later

more here
http://unicornindia.blogspot.in/2014/02/rustom-2.html
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

sarabpal.s wrote:Few pic i had taken of Rustom-2. i also notice six pylons under the wings which may be hard point to carry armed stuff later

more here
Thank you Sarabpal ji for the pics. They are not hardpoints. They are the housing for the hydraulics for flaps, aelirons.
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

indranilroy wrote:
sarabpal.s wrote:Few pic i had taken of Rustom-2. i also notice six pylons under the wings which may be hard point to carry armed stuff later

more here
Thank you Sarabpal ji for the pics. They are not hardpoints. They are the housing for the hydraulics for flaps, aelirons.
Thanks, than we have to wait for Rustom-2H.
aditya_d
BRFite -Trainee

Post by aditya_d »

Engine test & Low Speed taxi trials of Rustom 2

looks like a lot of work has been done!

see vid from 00:52

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

From various tenders from HAL, I think it is fairly certain that it is going to build the engine for Abhyas HEAT UAV. Expect the engine to develop between 30-45 kgf. Wondering why they need to waste time on this? It will probably allow Abhyas to grow to a weight of about 80-100 kgs and a turbofan powered mini drone up to about 100-150 kgs.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the MQ-4C could be a useful supplement to our P8I fleet.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6igqy2pGrm4/U ... n+BAMS.bmp

I am sure oceanic nations like japan, singapore and australia will buy some. perhaps norway also to spy in the arctic routes.

the Rustom HALE/MALE would slot in at a shorter radius of action.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Theme instrumental on Rustom Video - "How Deep is Your Love" - Beegees :D
member_28482
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28482 »

aditya_d wrote:Engine test & Low Speed taxi trials of Rustom 2

looks like a lot of work has been done!

see vid from 00:52

Rustom2- What will be the timeline for the Testing and Induction of our own Drone (e.g. first flight, user trails etc..)
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

Any news of Indo Israeli Joint JV project for NURAV?
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

I saw the Rustom 1 over Bangalore skies trying to land in HAL airport thru Marathahalli side. it was around 8.30AM. Had the wing tips and also the bar in the front. had a single propeller at the back. Nice plastic finish

NB: couldn't take a photo since I was driving
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

Where is Rustom2 ?? Souppseto fly within minth after defexpo14.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

the Rustom HALE/MALE would slot in at a shorter radius of action.
Singha Ji, AFAIK UAV's can extend their range. This is done by using 'Relay' UAV's. A Relay UAV takes off and sets up a pattern at a set distance. Say if the range is 250 kms, then set up a pattern around 200 kms. Next, a mission UAV will take off and will be controlled through the Relay UAV which will work as the uplink and downlink center for the mission UAV. This will extend the range of the Mission UAV by 200 kms (the distance of the Relay UAV). UAV can also operate in Relay - Relay mode. I don't know how many Relay links can be added but definitely at at least two in the ones we bought from Israel earlier. Theoretically, at least the UAV's can be used for very large ranges if the endurance is good.

One Relay UAV may be used to control multiple mission UAVs. So what is critical is endurance in air. Since most of our UAVs can not fly fast, too deep in enemy territory will make the UAV a sitting duck for the enemy fighters. We do use our UAVs all over, even across border in peace time too. (One of ours was shot by Paki F16). Therefore, long range presently is not needed, but altitude to avoid shoulder fired or Short Range SAM's and helicopters mostly. To avoid fighters we will need UAV's to operate in the Mig 25, SR 71 kind off altitudes, at which height you would probably see Tehran from over Bareily (probably). Deep inside enemy territory, we need our Spy Sats IMO.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread so I am not sure if this was covered earlier. But this is how operationally UAV is utilised in most places.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

saw the same one again today at 6PM at the same spot. It was again landing. May be an intensive testing is going on
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

Rustom is rubbish, we should always import the best like Heron. Israeli wheeler dealers are not reponsible for any delays in Rustom programme. How come we never get any offsets or ToT inspite of importing around Rs 10,000 crore worth of Israeli UAVs is a mystery which even Sherlock Holmes cannot answer.
Ranjani Brow

Post by Ranjani Brow »

rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

AESA radars growing smaller

3D AESA's for Drones

http://www.ato.ru/content/aesa-radars-growing-smaller
Ranjani Brow

Post by Ranjani Brow »

Saurav Jha: What is the status of that program (UCAV)?

Avinash Chander:
Designs are getting finalized. We are going through the final stages of reviews.
Saurav Jha: When will we see a prototype of the UCAV? Will we see it by 2017 or so?

Avinash Chander:
I don't think it will come that fast. Aircraft prototyping the typical cycle is 5-6 years. But we are working on it.
http://ibnlive.in.com/blogs/sauravjha/2 ... ister.html
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

rkhanna wrote:AESA radars growing smaller

3D AESA's for Drones

http://www.ato.ru/content/aesa-radars-growing-smaller
AESA radars are a logical thing for drones. AN/ZPY-2 is flying on the block 40 Global Hawk, with AN/ZPY-3 (MFAS) slated for the Triton (radar flying at the moment). The MQ8C will be getting the AESA AN/ZPY-1 Starlite that is an operational AESA flying on unmanned systems at the moment. I think the chinese also demo'd a small AESA for its drones and the germans had something in mind for the Euro Hawk iirc.

Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

I think its more to hang onto recently colonized Libya

Pentagon set to open second drone base in Niger as it expands operations in Africa

After months of negotiations, the government of Niger, a landlocked West African nation, has authorized the U.S. military to fly unarmed drones from the mud-walled desert city of Agadez, according to Nigerien and U.S. officials.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat ... story.html
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

^^^ Niger base is more to do with snooping on Islamic Militants in Nigeria, Mali, cameroon, chad etc... For any ops in Libya, there are multiple island in the Med apart from Carriers which are more secure than this base...
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

ADE scientists to demonstrate ATOL role of Rustom-1 UAV
By Anantha Krishnan M
Express News Service
Bangalore: Defence scientists at the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) are closing in on enabling India's Rustom-1 unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) with the automatic take-off and landing (ATOL) capability. The ATOL configuration, to be demonstrated by end of this year, will increase the endurance and payload carrying capacity of the UAV.

Insiders linked to the project told Express that ATOL feature will add more teeth to the Rustom-1 while undertaking prolonged missions. "We will be able to carry more fuel for missions which require the UAV to be airborne for longer durations. Instead of more fuel, different type of payloads can be integrated on the UAV, which will give it an additional operational advantage. At present, we are in the process of evaluating some of the sensors required for the ATOL implementation. Extensive real time simulation has been initiated on the UAV flight simulator to develop and fine-tune the guidance and control algorithms," an official said.
ADE took up the Rustom-1 project in 2006 with the primary objective of converting a proven manned aircraft configuration into a UAV. The first flight of Rustom-1 was in 2010 and since then the lab has conducted over 30 flights with around Rs 40 crore already spent on the project.

"So far our work on Rustom-1 has resulted in the availability of a baseline system which can be considered for operational roles by the users. This system can also be developed into an efficient FTB (Flying Test Bed) which can be used as a platform for development and demonstration of some of the emerging technologies in UAV systems," he said.

While enhancing the performance envelope of the UAV, the total weight (also called as AUW or all-up weight) goes up due to the increased weight of fuel or payload. This results in increase in take-off/landing distances and speeds. "Beyond a point it becomes difficult for the external pilot to confidently handle the UAV during the take-off and landing phases. Thus the capability for ATOL is essential," the official added.

The Indian Army has evinced keen interest in considering Rustom-1 for operational roles. However, in addition to ATOL capability, the Army wants ADE to demonstrate features like range of operation, colour video datalink and payload combinations. "We have so far demonstrated conventional take-off and landing of the aircraft by an external pilot, who coordinates the events with the internal pilot who controls the UAV during its mission phase. We have already demonstrated endurance for extended hours and at medium altitudes. We are confident of matching the performance demonstrated by some of the other users," the official said.
ADE has also integrated the surveillance payload of proven Nishant UAV on Rustom-1 to demonstrate its utility as a short-range surveillance platform. They are hopeful of optimising the performance by utilising the space available in the aircraft to increase the endurance further. The scientists are also exploring the possibility of using Rustom-1 version for ISTAR (Intelligence, Surveillance, Target Acquisition and Reconnaissance) missions as well.

Copyright@The New Indian Express

(click for higher resolution)

With ATOL feature, Rustom-1 to have enhanced endurance & payload-carrying capability.

Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

the Scan Eagle is a really nice looking UAV.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Tarmak is reporting an hitherto unkown UAV named Pachi which is a wheeled variant of Nishant.. it is heading to Kolar for its first flight. Taxi trials concluded...

excellent news... when it rains it pours... All the best!!! site has pics...
See link @ http://tarmak007.blogspot.com/2014/09/p ... shant.html
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

It seems lot of stuff is not getting reported. It is natural as prestitutes as busy with love jihad.