It is currently 22 Nov 2014 07:31

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 05:53 
Forum Moderator

Link to last page of previous thread.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 06:10 
BRF Oldie

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-J9M0X7UYFc0/V ... C_4630.JPG

All those rectangular panels I assume are access panels.

I also assume that they will have some sort of a cladding to make it stealthy. Unless they go with a paint, how will they tackle those panels?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 07:06 
BRFite

^^^
Maybe they will install a Trophy kind of system :P , a NRUAV system might be useful to try it out

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 07:07 
BRFite

Would be happy if you could explain how the panels affect the "stealth" of the aircraft and also the thing about paint in your post kinda didn't make sense too.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 07:58 
BRF Oldie

NRao wrote:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-J9M0X7UYFc0/VGa-KfQx8-I/AAAAAAAAHf8/VITSPoL_lhc/s1600/DSC_4630.JPG

I also assume that they will have some sort of a cladding to make it stealthy. Unless they go with a paint, how will they tackle those panels?

They could be panels where the metal is cut out and replaced with composite,making it lighter, tougher and more stealthy. Note that the peripheral angled parts could be metal and the flat bits composite.

The other question is, no matter what the Americans seem to be saying and doing, how important is radar stealth to a helicopter that will be directly exposed to enemy gunfire while approaching the area with stealthy nap-of-the-earth flying. Weight, noise and IR reductions would IMO be more profitable than a massive reduction in radar reflections - much of which comes from the rotors anyway rather than the body.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 08:31 
BRFite

raghuk wrote:
Would be happy if you could explain how the panels affect the "stealth" of the aircraft and also the thing about paint in your post kinda didn't make sense too.

Raghu saheb, any chai biscuit on the IMRH program ?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 09:14 
BRFite

At the speeds that helicopters fly, the parasite drag effect of the tail gear should not be important. The fairing looks like a protective cover for the hydraulic struts (IMO).

For details on Helicopter Aerodynamics one may read up R W Prouty's books.

@Shreeman ji, Helicopter flight lines always see hover 'taxi' from the 'Dispersal' area itself in case of birds with skids. Only wheeled birds taxi out. The Dispersal discipline is paramount and in the video I saw there were no visible violation. The ATC is in control of Crash Fire Tenders and other emergency services and at a time when the airfield is live the CFT's would remain in central location to cover the entire airfield.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 09:34 
BRF Oldie

tarmak updates

http://tarmak007.blogspot.com/2014/11/l ... video.html
check out the video

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 11:25 
BRFite

On the drag issue, I refer you to the AeroIndia 2013 LCH seminar from Prasad Sampath. Goto 24:50.

The only surprise here is that the TD3 doesn't have fairing on the Main landing gear.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 11:34 
BRFite

srin wrote:
On the drag issue, I refer you to the AeroIndia 2013 LCH seminar from Prasad Sampath. Goto 24:50.

The only surprise here is that the TD3 doesn't have fairing on the Main landing gear.

TD-2 got it after a while, TD-3 will too hopefully.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 12:11 
BRF Oldie

shiv wrote:
NRao wrote:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-J9M0X7UYFc0/VGa-KfQx8-I/AAAAAAAAHf8/VITSPoL_lhc/s1600/DSC_4630.JPG

They could be panels where the metal is cut out and replaced with composite,making it lighter, tougher and more stealthy. Note that the peripheral angled parts could be metal and the flat bits composite.

The other question is, no matter what the Americans seem to be saying and doing, how important is radar stealth to a helicopter that will be directly exposed to enemy gunfire while approaching the area with stealthy nap-of-the-earth flying. Weight, noise and IR reductions would IMO be more profitable than a massive reduction in radar reflections - much of which comes from the rotors anyway rather than the body.

Reducing radar reflections will be key to reducing the range at which it can be detected if the opponent has located radars on tall masts for low flying objects

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 20:56 
BRF Oldie

^^^^^

I agree.

"Stealth" never has meant "invisible". It has *always* meant later-the-detection-the-better. And, "stealth" comes in many shapes and forms.

Having said that I have been around Apaches (got some cool pictures too), but never took the time to look at "panels" - never struck me as an important item to look for nor did I "panels" stick out on that bird.

But, that particular picture struck me in two respects: 1) The shape of the bird - is clearly shaped to reflect as little as possible and 2) It seemed to have a lot of access panels - may be the numbers are justifiable, do not know - which is why I posed that question. The two seemed somewhat contradictory and yet it was there. So, the next question was how is such a problem solved (one was is to have saw tooth edges) - paint, some other material, ..........??????

Being a TD could be this is question too early in the process. Who knows they may even reduce the number of panels.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 23:32 
Forum Moderator

Raghuk, Congratulations on the first flight of TD-3.

Please answer at your discretion.
1. Why isn't the TLG fairing shaped as an aerofoil?
2. Has the designed top speed been attained, or are you guys still looking to lowering the drag?
3. I had read or heard somewhere that Dhruvs with fenestrons are being studied. True?