Airborne Early Warning & Control: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Re: AEW&C News & Discussion

Post by Kartik »

Karan M wrote:I really hope Tarmak saar takes some prose classes to get a better idea of what sounds good and what doesn't. Prying plane just doesnt cut it.
lol..exactly my thoughts! where on earth did he come up with this term that he and no one else but he uses? :D
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Well - I scored highest in English when I passed out of school in 1971 and passed all sorts of exams that made me a good boy with good English in Yamrika and Bilayat. They couldn't fault me and I used to be a grammar Nazi. I am tending to go easy on my countrymen now - not all have Macaulay himself come down and teach them. Some of the media with best Yinglish are assholes including the Whimpoo and others - so might as well go easy on a man with his heart in the right place
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Karan

in todays twitter world - that sounds fine

Not everything has to be grammatically correct and for the audience he is aiming at make perfect sense :)
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

prahaar wrote:
Singha wrote:even Khan seems to be coming down to 737 sized airframes to house most of its next gen systems.
Is it driven by advances in miniaturization or due to the availability of powerful satellites to compensate for the smaller sensors/endurance.
It has happened because the Sensor performance being sought is possible in a much smaller size. The JSTARS for example has had its required performance met with a smaller sensor due to advances in AESA radars. That smaller sensor still gives the same level of performance that the JSTARS was getting with obvious improvements in other qualitative areas. The E-3 recap is 5-6 years out so it remains to be seen if the Top Hat NG version can work for the USAF requirements or whether they would have to look for a larger air-frame. Even for the E-10 it was the air-space management task that warranted a larger aircraft once the dual sensor requirement was let go.
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

pankajs wrote:
Anantha Krishnan M ‏@writetake 7h7 hours ago
#PlaneMorning Here's an exclusive grab of India's Prying Plane AEW&C now undergoing integration trials. @satbasani
And its gonna be operated by India's Prying Pados-wali Aunties.
Guys. We have a world-beater here .... :mrgreen:

--Ashish.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

my dream AEW architecture for India.

1. a few football field sized OTH radars in central and south India to detect aircraft and ship movements upto northern tibet and south IOR using atmopsheric scattering
2. a few truck mounted and few static ABM "big dome" radars for detecting ballistic missile launches , plus few DEW type sats with multiple sensors peering down in and around us.
3. some big IL76/A330 long duration "Linebacker" AWACS, each powerful enough to control one air defence zone and control intercepts in dozens incl on cruise missiles
4. more number of smaller EMB145 "RunningBack" AEW - these will be allocated some on demand to offload work off the LineBackers, some will move forward with strike packages to the edge of what can be called safe, hold position and then help them back. ie extend passive airborne protection data 100s of km fwd from the edge of the Linebacker coverage
5. High alt blimps tethered onto the tops of mountains along our borders to provide earliest earnings of very low level ingress by manned or unmanned platforms
6. apart from datalinks to IAF SAM and fighter units, datalinks to ground based ULSAM Shaurya units for taking down high value non manouvering aerial targets at 1500km range
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

shiv wrote: You did not say it was correct, but you did not specify that it was incorrect. I need to point out that it is incorrect. Fake, cooked up history by Americans and Pakis after getting an ass whupping from dead accurate IAF attacks. The latter lose credit as long as this fake story survives and that must not happen.
Shivji,

Well, I am sorry. My intention was not to offend anyone or propagate false information, which is what happened unintentionally, but -

By the late 1980s there were several publications about radar performance and in particular Soviet system performance that were published by defense contractors and USAF. These were not meant to be used as propaganda, but as reference to design engineers. This is where my information came from and not TSP or Amriki news propaganda. Mistakes are made and as a doctor you know that journals like Lancet or Nature also have wrong information in them due to political influence.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Singha wrote:my dream AEW architecture for India.

1. a few football field sized OTH radars in central and south India to detect aircraft and ship movements upto northern tibet and south IOR using atmopsheric scattering
2. a few truck mounted and few static ABM "big dome" radars for detecting ballistic missile launches , plus few DEW type sats with multiple sensors peering down in and around us.
3. some big IL76/A330 long duration "Linebacker" AWACS, each powerful enough to control one air defence zone and control intercepts in dozens incl on cruise missiles
4. more number of smaller EMB145 "RunningBack" AEW - these will be allocated some on demand to offload work off the LineBackers, some will move forward with strike packages to the edge of what can be called safe, hold position and then help them back. ie extend passive airborne protection data 100s of km fwd from the edge of the Linebacker coverage
5. High alt blimps tethered onto the tops of mountains along our borders to provide earliest earnings of very low level ingress by manned or unmanned platforms
6. apart from datalinks to IAF SAM and fighter units, datalinks to ground based ULSAM Shaurya units for taking down high value non manouvering aerial targets at 1500km range

I would settle for No.3. With 12-14 IL76/A330 platforms and a radar with 1 degree beam width, horizontal/vertical/circular polarization, typical scan frequency from 2-6 GHz, and clutter suppression that is near the dynamic range of the radar.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

brar_w wrote: It has happened because the Sensor performance being sought is possible in a much smaller size. The JSTARS for example has had its required performance met with a smaller sensor due to advances in AESA radars. That smaller sensor still gives the same level of performance that the JSTARS was getting with obvious improvements in other qualitative areas. The E-3 recap is 5-6 years out so it remains to be seen if the Top Hat NG version can work for the USAF requirements or whether they would have to look for a larger air-frame. Even for the E-10 it was the air-space management task that warranted a larger aircraft once the dual sensor requirement was let go.
It would make sense for the USAF to use the E767 platform that Japan is using. Much of the airframe analysis is already done by Boeing and putting in 3-4 AESA panels in a similar size radome is doable. I don't trust NG when it comes to signal processing, I always thought Raytheon was better in terms of radar performance. Raytheon did well with their surveillance SPY-1,2 and 3 receivers and signal processors.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

It would make sense for the USAF to use the E767 platform that Japan is using
Unless something changes in the next 5 years that option is about as likely as them doing a 737 based aircraft.
Much of the airframe analysis is already done by Boeing and putting in 3-4 AESA panels in a similar size radome is doable.
The Radome for the future AEW is going to be most likely based on the Top Hat that Northrop Grumman has already developed. That version for the wedge tail is considered as the 80% solution and there was a path designed to bring it to the current standard as was mentioned a couple of years ago by General Mike Hostage at an AFA event. The sensor itself was to be upgraded through the MRTIP, and expect those activity to continue when the recap actually starts.

Unless Raytheon has been developing a new sensor all this while in secret, using its own funding there is really no chance that a new clean sheet sensor is pursued especially when an AOA was conducted and technology studied with the existing NG sensor (brought up to standard) all the way till the 2060 time-frame. It was considered more than adequate to meet the needs.

I don't trust NG when it comes to signal processing
Not sure what you are getting to here, but does it really matter what you (or I) think?
I always thought Raytheon was better in terms of radar performance.
So much better in the category that they had to compete with someone else's radar for the last AEW contract they participated in.
Raytheon did well with their surveillance SPY-1,2 and 3 receivers and signal processors
The last time a radar was required they gladly let Northrop grumman take the lead on the project. Since then only one company has invested IRAD and secured government based funding to advance a sensor suitable for such a design. It wasn't Raytheon.

It is widely believed that the future E-3 recap would take up where this left off -

You would obviously loose the ground sensor (this was decided towards the end of the E-10 program anyway) and depending upon the ultimate requirements you may as well shift to a smaller platform since a large portion of the funding for the new system will come from early retirement of the E-3.
Last edited by brar_w on 02 Apr 2015 04:20, edited 1 time in total.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

brar_w wrote: The last time a radar was required they gladly let Northrop grumman take the lead on the project. Since then only one company has invested IRAD and secured government based funding to advance a sensor suitable for such a design. It wasn't Raytheon.
Perhaps for an AEW platform, but I'm not so sure about R&D for other systems. Raytheon is doing the SPY-3 for the Zumwalt class destroyers and Ford class carriers, and does have the IRAD and funding for that program.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Perhaps for an AEW platform, but I'm not so sure about R&D for other systems
Doesn't matter..NG has other radar projects as well but that counts for absolutely nothing in a recap situation. Northrop's IRAD and government sponsored research is extensive in this class of sensor, and battle management system and the last time a vendor was down-selected it was them again. There is little chance for another sensor for the mission the only thing that is left to be decided is the prime and integrator. Lockheed and Northrop have both demonstrated some interesting technologies when it comes to open system architectures and integrating outside stuff and they may give Boeing a run for their money. Raytheon decided not to run as a prime for the JSTAR recap either so its unlikely they'll even bid as a prime for the E-3 recap down the road.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

brar_w wrote:
Perhaps for an AEW platform, but I'm not so sure about R&D for other systems
Doesn't matter..NG has other radar projects as well but that counts for absolutely nothing in a recap situation. Northrop's IRAD and government sponsored research is extensive in this class of sensor, and battle management system and the last time a vendor was down-selected it was them again. There is little chance for another sensor for the mission the only thing that is left to be decided is the prime and integrator. Lockheed and Northrop have both demonstrated some interesting technologies when it comes to open system architectures and integrating outside stuff and they may give Boeing a run for their money. Raytheon decided not to run as a prime for the JSTAR recap either so its unlikely they'll even bid as a prime for the E-3 recap down the road.
NG may indeed be very good for sensor integration and battle management for an AEW platform. From a radar perspective, a 3D surveillance radar with high clutter rejection and small target detection, Raytheon does very well since its radar division works closely with MIT Lincoln Labs in MA.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

NG may indeed be very good for sensor integration and battle management for an AEW platform. From a radar perspective, a 3D surveillance radar with high clutter rejection and small target detection, Raytheon does very well since its radar division works closely with MIT Lincoln Labs in MA
Doesn't matter which labs work with Raytheon the point is that Northrop Grumman was selected once again to be the main designer and developer of the NG sensor for the AWACS replacement. The organization that selected them knows a lot more then you or me or anyone else on this forum. The requirements for the sensor then (E-10) were the same as they are now and if anything they may just be a little watered down to better manage cost. Northrop Grumman has invested in creating a Next generation sensor beyond the E-3, and they have a successful product in the E-7. The E-7 Air to Air sensor was the base for the MP-RTIP program's air to air sensor and this was selected after due diligence by the USAF.

Raytheon has NO sensor for such a product either developed, or in development. The last time there was a major competition for an AEW aircraft that could potentially decide the larger western market for such a product, they chose to use an Israeli sensor (Phalcon) because they had nothing of there own in development at the time. The E-3 recap, much like the E-8 recap is going to be a mature system that looks towards a lower risk minimum RDTE funding because the largest share of procurement is coming from the early retirement of the legacy fleet just as it is with the JSTARS recap.

The USAF is not going to go back and award another development contract when they had already selected a sensor-provider and established the fact that the sensor-selected (along with its development path) would be sufficient for the life of the program. Raytheon is not going to be competitive in this market and they pretty much know it. Hence they are investing heavily to get the AAS on the JSTARS recap and are working as a sensor-provider to Lockheed Martin. They have a decent shot (although Northrop is widely considered the favorite) for the JSTARS recap, but no one expects them to be competitive for the E-3 recap which starts (most likely) in the 2020-2022 timeframe.

Northrop Grumman has worked closely with ACC and other organizations that get to decide this over the many decades. In fact even before the JSTARS recap effort was decided ACC got a hands on demo of a G550 mounted Northrop Grumman demo-sensor for the mission. Northrop Grumman also had about $1 Billion in R&D funding from the DOD for the MP-RTIP platform and will show up with thousands of operational hours for the E-7 as a base. Good luck to Raytheon in competing for a competition that would happen under the BBI, against a product that the USAF itself deemed more then capable for the mission for the same timeframe the recap is looking at and is largely developed.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^That wasn't my point. I was strictly speaking from a radar performance point of view. Treating radar strictly as another sensor, which I'm aware many program management is doing in military and civilian programs, is a mistake and ignores modern radar development. NG has been in the program from the beginning and they've got good a platform for the E-3 replacement. NG has development and integration experience on the E-3, E-8, E-10 and Wedgetail. They won't be replaced on any platform be it on the 737 or 767. Raytheon has significant experience in 3D surveillance radar like the SPY-3 and SPY-4. They may not have any viable options for AEW platform, but that does not rule out superior radar performance even with the Israeli sensor. That IAI sensor was probably developed with Raytheon at one point.

I would venture to say that should DRDO do their development as planned for an AWACS on the A330, from the publicly available information, they may have excellent radar performance.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

MAY is a big word especially given the fact that raytheon was not selected to develop the future E-3 replacement sensor. Neither the A2A sensor nor the E-8 replacement A2G sensor. Furthermore, those that had to make a decision on performance did not select their offering compared to the E-7 and that put an end to their ambitions to compete in this market. What CAN they do with a clean sheet design? Who knows, Northrop Grumman can also work on a clean sheet design if required but that would be a non starter because the USAF has a sensor and development path laid out for the future of the E-3. You do not go back and start from scratch when you already have a sensor and its development (growth) roadmap approved all the way till the late 2050's or early 2060. There was and is a very clearly defined roadmap for what is expected from a potential E-3 replacement both in the traditional roles and in non-traditional roles. There is absolutely no indication that Northrop Grumman's sensor that was eventually developed/pursued is deficient in any of those categories. The USAF btw does not expect to be able to deploy the AEW fleet in the FEB in the future.

Its futile to compare WHAT IF's, and they MAY do X Y Z as that May applies to anyone that can compete for such a work. Unless you have access to the technical evaluations based on which you are claiming a superior sensor "ability" with raytheon you are really guessing especially when no in the USAF has ever hinted at allowing them to do the program. Furthermore, some of the largest partially-classified aerial sensor contracts in the 90's (USAF) went to ONE company. It also wasn't raytheon ;).
They won't be replaced on any platform be it on the 737 or 767.
Northrop grumman was only delivering the sensor on the E-10. The integration and battle management tasks were led by Boeing that was the prime. For Now Northrop Grumman has decided to bid as both the sensor provider and the prime for the JSTARS replacement program and it remains to be seen whether they do the same for the E-3 recap or they continue with their existing partnership with Boeing.
Last edited by brar_w on 02 Apr 2015 04:18, edited 3 times in total.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

i don't think it's the hardware alone that makes a winner. It's the overall package hardware/software combo that decides the final outcome. One without the other is pretty useless. Software is more difficult to get right and needs many many iterations. Hardware is still a fairly well documented commodity.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Hardware is also where you gather extensive experience and develop a product over the longer time. Hence it would be nearly impossible for Raytheon to offer something that is totally fresh compared to a product that Northrop has been refining since the early 90's if not earlier. The Top Hat radar was always considered an 80% solution since the contract was a fixed price contract. To really modernize it and bring it up to date there was a more risky development path planned that would obviously be tackled with more risky design contracts (hence the cost plus RDT&E contract for the E-10). There is no indication that that arrangement would not continue.

You are correct in your software and integration part. Boeing won't get a free pass with the E-3 or the E-8 recap as most expect Lockheed and Northrop to give them a run for their money.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

brar_w wrote:MAY is a big word especially given the fact that raytheon was not selected to develop the future E-3 replacement sensor. Neither the A2A sensor nor the E-8 replacement A2G sensor. Furthermore, those that had to make a decision on performance did not select their offering compared to the E-7 and that put an end to their ambitions to compete in this market. What CAN they do with a clean sheet design? Who knows, Northrop Grumman can also work on a clean sheet design if required but that would be a non starter because the USAF has a sensor and development path laid out for the future of the E-3. You do not go back and start from scratch when you already have a sensor and its development (growth) roadmap approved all the way till the late 2050's or early 2060. There was and is a very clearly defined roadmap for what is expected from a potential E-3 replacement both in the traditional roles and in non-traditional roles. There is absolutely no indication that Northrop Grumman's sensor that was eventually developed/pursued is deficient in any of those categories. The USAF btw does not expect to be able to deploy the AEW fleet in the FEB in the future.

Its futile to compare WHAT IF's, and they MAY do X Y Z as that May applies to anyone that can compete for such a work. Unless you have access to the technical evaluations based on which you are claiming a superior sensor "ability" with raytheon you are really guessing especially when no in the USAF has ever hinted at allowing them to do the program. Furthermore, some of the largest partially-classified aerial sensor contracts in the 90's (USAF) went to ONE company. It also wasn't raytheon ;).
They won't be replaced on any platform be it on the 737 or 767.
Northrop grumman was only delivering the sensor on the E-10. The integration and battle management tasks were led by Boeing that was the prime. For Now Northrop Grumman has decided to bid as both the sensor provider and the prime for the JSTARS replacement program and it remains to be seen whether they do the same for the E-3 recap or they continue with their existing partnership with Boeing.
Again, you misunderstood what I'm talking about. You take the view of program management, which is very good, and I take the view of an engineer. Both Westinghouse (NG) and Raytheon have extensive surveillance radar experience. Westinghouse has contracts with the USAF on surveillance radar and Raytheon has contracts with the USN on surveillance radar. I would argue that Raytheon has radar receivers and antenna design that would allow better target detection based on the work they've done on other surveillance systems for civilian use and that of the AN/SPY-2, but share the same engineering resources on the military side. I also realize that from a program already underway, such as the E-3 replacement, NG has significantly more experience now than Raytheon and it doesn't make sense to do an expensive re-work as it doesn't fit the E-3 development path requirements.

The use of the word "may" was for DRDO systems based on what they've publicly stated for a large platform. A high gain AESA antenna with wide band frequency agility. One that has sufficient elements, being so large, to produce a very narrow beam width.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Cybaru wrote:i don't think it's the hardware alone that makes a winner. It's the overall package hardware/software combo that decides the final outcome. One without the other is pretty useless. Software is more difficult to get right and needs many many iterations. Hardware is still a fairly well documented commodity.

There are a lot aspects to the software for an AEW platform. Each hardware element (all the different sensors and communication systems) will have its own operational and maintenance software. Then there is the actual radar processing computer software, along with the moving clutter maps, and all of it needs to be integrated together. No small or easy task and generally to do it right it is best to have people who have an electrical engineering background to do this if they are available.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Again, you misunderstood what I'm talking about. You take the view of program management, which is very good, and I take the view of an engineer. Both Westinghouse (NG) and Raytheon have extensive surveillance radar experience. Westinghouse has contracts with the USAF on surveillance radar and Raytheon has contracts with the USN on surveillance radar. I would argue that Raytheon has radar receivers and antenna design that would allow better target detection based on the work they've done on other surveillance systems for civilian use and that of the AN/SPY-2, but share the same engineering resources on the military side. I also realize that from a program already underway, such as the E-3 replacement, NG has significantly more experience now than Raytheon and it doesn't make sense to do an expensive re-work as it doesn't fit the E-3 development path requirements
I am well aware of where Raytheon's and Northrop's strengths and weaknesses lie. Having said that, for the roles demanded there is absolutely ZERO edge in raytheon being awarded. There is nothing in the requirement that Northrop has not successfully demonstrated to be capable of achieving or hasn't actually demonstrated. Furthermore, as mentioned they have secured each and every contract for such systems over the past many decades. Because Raytheon worked on the Spy system, it does not qualify them to do something better than Northrop in an area where Northrop is incumbent and has demonstrated capability to the satisfaction of the customer. There is absolutely no ENGINEERING capability requirement that Northrop is incapable of accomplishing or is inferior to in capability compared to Raytheon. Strength of portfolio has little to do with it especially when it is the responsibility of the technical evaluators to do just that i.e. EVALUATE.

A large chunk of the Top Hat program was kept afloat by Northrop Grumman (Westinghouse) IRAD. There was absolutely nothing stopping Raytheon from putting money where their mouth is and developing a sensor of their own. They have the engineering to do so but they did not. Even when a large market-share was up in the air with the Project Wedgetail (it was known that this platform would be the modern AEW for many western kit users) they decided again not to pursue a sensor. They chose to be the "INTEGRATOR" of the Phalcon sensor which was a tried, tested and fully internally developed sensor marketed by IAI.

Claiming that they could do something because they have a portfolio that puts them in a position to be competitive means little if they do not have a product. Without a product its all hypothetical especially when going up against a highly trusted brand in this market segment.
E-3 replacement, NG has significantly more experience now than Raytheon and it doesn't make sense to do an expensive re-work as it doesn't fit the E-3 development path requirements
In this context extensive is a bit of an understatement.

Northrop Grumman - E-3, E-8, E-2, E-7. Basically 100% of the USAF and USN E series platforms.

Now if you are going to talk about Maritime domain, that is indeed Raytheon's strenght given their heritage with the P-3 and the fact that they have maintained that portfolio nicely funded with IRAD since winning the P-3. Therefore others were always the outsiders in that market because Raytheon enjoyed an engineering, project management, and internal R&D funding lead in that domain. For an AWACS, they DO NOT.

Same thing applies to advanced sensor platform needs. They lost the bulk of the "sensor craft" design contracts to Northrop Grumman (from which apparently the RQ-180 takes its heritage). They have since looked at that aspect of the portolio and made some serious IRAD efforts. The NGJ success is a direct result of that. Expect them to make similar investments early on in the Advanced AESA fighter radar market where their product (Apg-79) is lagging in capability compared to the performance expected and they were not selected by the winning team for either 5th generation effort. I expect them to field the first prototype Gallium Nitride fighter AESA prototype a full 12-15 months before Northrop Grumman. The next radar contracts are most likely going to be awarded before the end of the decade, and although they would be funding both teams for at least 5-6 years I expect raytheon to make greater investments internally as they need to catch up.

If it wasn't for the AAS and the Super Hornet AESA, Northrop would have practically swept the entire new Airborne AESA market. The MP-RTIP was supposed to provide sensors from the E-3, E-8 and the Global Hawk. Add F-22 and F-35 to the mix in addition to the F-16 AESA recap. The F-15 AESA for the first two versions was an antennal upgrade for raytheon and it wasn't until they developed the Apg-79 that they made significant enhancements to the back end of the -63/82. They are yet to deliver an Electronic Warfare capability on the Apg-79, something that they touted years ago. That capability is now expected in the mid 2020's iirc, while Northrop has introduced that with the Apg-81 and as an upgrade to the Apg-77. The sensor craft victories have kept Northrop secured in the "Very_High_End" sensor market in the USAF and this applies to the RQ-180 as much as the LRS-B (even if Boeing/Lockheed win).
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Slight OT.

Its time we start pulling our weight down when negotiating these contracts with phoren OEMs, like China does.

GOI/MoD should demand that meaty engineering work of mounting these radars on A330 platform be done at Airbus's India Engineering Center. If the folks here are not qualified to handle such an effort, train them to do so. We should start developing a pool of engineers even outside Govt. Labs so that when the time arises for the need of large scale human resources for a major national program (like a regional jet etc.), players outside of NAL/DRDO/HAL can also be safely included to speed up the timelines.

I know for sure one European company operating their India operations in BLR is using Indian engineers pool to do menial work for 12-13 hours per day with unreasonable target timelines. Its nothing but a glorified sweat shop. Very little learning happens on the job.
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Modi’s France visit gives wings to IAF dream project
http://www.dayandnightnews.com/2015/04/ ... m-project/
Sunday, April 05, 2015, New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to France next week will herald a new chapter for the Indian Air Force, as its dream project of having 360 degree ‘eye in sky’ is likely to take off with both countries finalising a deal for procuring two Airbus-330 aircraft to be used as platforms for AWACS-India programme.

The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), in its meeting held last Saturday, has given a go ahead to the proposal of acquiring the aircraft for Rs 5,113 crore and the formal signing of the deal is likely during Mr Modi’s three-nation tour, that will also take him to Germany and Canada. The DAC has also approved ‘Project Maitry’, under which, India and France will be working on development of Short Range Surface to Air Missile (SR-SAM) for the Indian Navy.

The two Defence deals are being seen as a consolation for France as the hectic efforts to seal a deal of acquiring 126 Rafale fighter jets for the IAF were unlikely to get the desired results. The French leadership was particularly keen to finalise the 20 billion dollars defence deal for Medium-Multi Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) during Mr Modi’s Paris visit, as the long-drawn talks for finalising the contract remain inconclusive even after three years of tough negotiations between the two sides.
A proposal for buying eight Airbus A-330 MRTT mid-air refuellers for 2 billion US Dollars was also hanging in balance for quite a long time. In this backdrop, the proposal for buying two Airbus A-330 aircraft has come as a silver lining for not only France but also for the IAF as its quest for acquiring AWACS (Airborne warning and control system) is finally and firmly getting its roots.
India’s new ‘eye in the sky’ will be mounted on Airbus A-330 with Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)-developed rotodome radar fitted on it.

The IAF has planned to develop six such AWACS with an estimated cost of 1.12 billion US Dollars. The cost of the first two of the AWACS is pegged at more than 817 million Dollars.For France, revival of 5 billion USD Short-Range Surface-to-Air Missile (SRSAM) project for the Indian Navy is being seen as a big achievement. Project Maitri between French MBDA and India’s DRDO was started in 2007 but lost its steam as India’s own Surface to Air missile Akash was preferred by the IAF and the Army.
The project got a new lease of life after the Navy showed interest in the French SR-SAM system. At present, Navy’s warships are equipped with Israeli Barak air defence system having a range of around 10 km which is under process of getting increased to about 70 km.

Airbus was eagerly waiting to receive Mr Modi at its headquarters in Toulouse, which is widely known as the manufacturing hub of the country’s French civil and military aviation sector. “For us, most important part of Prime Minister’s visit to France is his tour to Toulouse as this will be the formal launch of our AWACS-India project,” said an IAF official.
DRDO and the IAF have been pushing the project for more than a half decade. The government sanctioned the 1.12 billion USD project for developing six AWACS platforms sometime in 2012 and the RFP (Request for Proposal) for the aircraft procurement was issued to foreign vendors.

The IAF was focusing on two large platforms–Airbus A-330 or Boeing — 767 for long endurance of its AWACS. It finally chose the first one. At present, the IAF has three Israeli Phalcon radar based AWACS mounted on Russian IL-76 platform. The first such AWACS was delivered in 2009, with the third in 2011.

The fleet of three AWACS uses significantly advanced technologies such as electronically steered phased array radar, IFF, C3I, ESM, data-link, and elements of SIGINT, COMINT, and ELINT. Procurement of two more AWACS under option clause from IAI was cleared by the DAC in February 2014, and this is likely to materialise by 2016. Additionally, DRDO is working on a mini-AWACS project, under which indigenous AEW&C systems are to be mounted on three Embraer-145 jets obtained from Brazil for 210-million dollars.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

read about the E3 in 1991 ops:

For example, the use of over a hundred tankers to refuel combat aircraft would not have been possible without the AWACS being there to efficiently link tankers and aircraft needing fuel. Forming up the Wild Weasels, and coordinating their use with the bombers they escorted, was much easier using an AWACS. Just keeping track of who was who and going where would not have been possible without the AWACS.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^As part of battle management an airborne radar system will also be used for air traffic control.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Singha as mentioned by Mort Walker, that is a very important role of these aircraft.

{30 seconds onwards}

http://www.sldinfo.com/the-wedgetail-in ... rborne-c2/
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

Russia ships two unfinished A-50E/I intented for Indian Air Force new AWACS

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Ships where?
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Ain't gonna make it to Israel on a barge! So its gotta be local somewhere. If that story is true, then 5 phalcons is pretty good news.

Hopefully we will see another 6-8 EMB as well. And then whatever makes it way into the force after that.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

there are long running canal-river networks in russia incl river Don in voronezh where Ilyushin plant is located.

maybe they have multiple plants on either side of the river and use barges to move it cheaply and easily.

the planes are always delivered in flying condition with empty radome to israel not like this.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

This report mentions its for India 2 A-50EI

Two IL-76 driven in Taganrog for alterations in the A-50EI

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1043874.html
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Translation by googe. Link given by Austin on previous page:

Two IL-76 driven in Taganrog for alterations in the A-50EI

bmpd
November 2nd, 2014

Russian company "CB Trans", specializing in the transport of oversized, heavy and oversize cargo, from the beginning of October 2014 transports with JSC "Tashkent Mechanical Plant" (Uzbekistan, former Tashkent Aircraft Production Association named after VP Chkalov, TAPOiCH) on Russian JSC "Beriev" (Beriev) in Taganrog gliders two unfinished transport aircraft IL-76, intended for completion at the Beriev as AWACS and control A-50EI ("EI") for Indian Air Force.

Delivery of both unfinished gliders (serial numbers 94-05 and 94-09) performed "CB Trans" road train, comprising 14 cars, trailers, two of which are driven directly assembled fuselage. October 23 column trains arrived from Tashkent through Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan located on the coast of the Caspian Sea port of Aktau Kazakhstan (formerly Shevchenko), where both the airframe will be shipped on a cargo ship for onward transport by water on the territory of Russia (October 31 loading has not yet been made).

The fuselage of one of the two IL-76TD, pervozimyh road train company "CB Trans" with JSC "Tashkent Mechanical Plant" (Uzbekistan, former Tashkent Aircraft Production Association named after VP Chkalov) on the Russian JSC "Taganrog Aviation Scientific-Technical Complex Beriev ". Aktau (Kazakhstan), 23/10/2014 (c) andreyolder / aviaforum.ru

On conclusion of the contract with India for the supply of additional aircraft A-50EI not yet reported, and at the end of August 2014 Beriev representative reported on this contract only as the expected. However, the current delivery of two gliders for A-50EI from Tashkent to Taganrog suggests that contracts have been signed or will be signed soon. It is known that the financing for the purchase of two additional aircraft A-50EI was approved by the Indian Government in 2013. It should be noted that in fact the main contract, as in 2004, should be concluded by the Ministry of Defence of India with the Israeli association of Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), as prime contractor, and p USSIAN of "Rosoboronexport" and Beriev Aircraft Company will be performing contractors under separate agreements.

Earlier, India won the contract in 2004 worth $ 1.1 billion with IAI three AWACS aircraft and control A-50EI ("EI"), equipped with radar system IAI Elta EL / W-2090 and PS-90A-76. "Rosoboronexport" and Beriev performed by contractors under the contract, to ensure adequate supplies and equipment in the A-50EI three gliders IL-76TD, unfinished on the order backlog of TAPOiCh 94th production series (serial numbers unfinished aircraft - 94-02, 94 -03 and 94-04). All three aircraft A-50EI were put India in 2008-2010, and since then, the Indian side is constantly negotiated the purchase of additional machines, and extended its intention to order nine additional aircraft.

Ultimately, as we can judge, INDISCO side was forced to restrict the acquisition of yet only two additional aircraft for which TAPOiCh remained gliders IL-76TD 94-05 and 94-09 in a relatively high degree of readiness. As previously reported , in October 2012 JSC "UAC" and OAO "Rosoboronexport" in consultation with the Indian side, it was decided for the delivery of two additional aircraft (ie, fourth and fifth) AEW "EI" on the basis of units of the two IL-76TD GAO TAPOiCH production. January 17, 2013 Deputy Minister of Defence of the Russian Federation approved the export passport image number 64/13 / EG for AEW (AWACS) based on IL-76TD.
At the end of 2011 was made directly contract of sale the two gliders IL-76TD-RTC number 145-181-2011 between GAO "TAPOiCH" and the company ESC Aviation Services Corp., representing the interests of IAI. According to preliminary plans, working on pre-sales of the two gliders had to be started from April 01, 2013 and last for seven months. Apparently, the delay in signing the final terms of the main contract for the purchase by India of two additional A-50EI resulted in a shift of all the terms for gliders.

It should be particularly pointed out that in the case of final completion on the Beriev Aircraft 94-05 and 94-09 will be the last "old" machines IL-76 and IL-76 last Tashkent buildings.
Last edited by Cybaru on 22 Apr 2015 11:12, edited 2 times in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

^^ that last line means there are no more old unfinished airframes to harvest even if we wanted it, unless we find something rusting away in a russian boneyard , so between the Il-476 and A-330 that explains why IAF took a fresh look at the platform and went "big" on it.

^^and extended its intention to order nine additional aircraft

9-2 = 7 . a close match we tendered for 6 awacs (2+4) a/c http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... ct-410708/
it also mentions options for 4 more for a total=10.

so between 5 IL76, 3 EMB145 (if they do not pursue it), 6 A330 we would have 14 around 2025.

but I think the EMB145 system needs to be pursued even more than the A330 and funded upto atleast 12 airframes to heavily fill in all gaps and drive domestic work.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

5 is plenty for the east coast. 2 in air. 2 replacement and one down for whatever maintenance.

Great article. Thanks for posting it Austin. Who bought the remaining airframes?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Are we struggling to create an AWAC system? Learn from pre-historic sharks :) !!!!

http://sharkopedia.discovery.com/shark- ... f-its-back

DID YOU KNOW?
A WEIRD ANCIENT SHARK LOOKED LIKE IT HAD A HAIRBRUSH STICKING OUT OF ITS BACK
Stethacanthus – a fast-swimming shark that lived around 320 million years ago – was a very odd-looking fish. It had an enormous, flat-topped dorsal fin bristling with enlarged scales; together, they gave Stethacanthus the appearance of having a hairbrush sticking out of its back. Even the top of its head was covered in bristle-toothed scales.

But what were these for? Perhaps they were defensive, the brushy fin and cranial bristles looking like the jaws of a far larger predator. It seems more likely, though, that they played some role in courtship rituals. Females may have chosen males with the biggest dorsal brush, or perhaps males used these to push against one another in vigorous battles over mating rights.
I dunno if this an artist's highly imaginative artwork based on the fossils.
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

Israel to expand AEW fleet for India

The IAF has been operating the first batch for some time now and the article mentions the two, new ones will be an upgraded version.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

CABS has issued a tender for Development and Manufacture of Composite Radome for Airborne Surveillance Systems AWACS(I).

Looks like the design is complete. They say "Technical Details: Scope of Work will be given to eligible vendor on signing Non Disclosure Agreement".They have provided no more details, except that a single radome is made of 4 segments, and that they will place an order for a single radome at the moment. Probably going with something like this,

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

>>"Technical Details: Scope of Work will be given to eligible vendor on signing Non Disclosure Agreement"

New policy? Some common sense as versus providing all details on net for open viewing?
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

http://armingindia.com/Defense%20Space% ... 20Raha.htm
Q. What’s been the progress on the Air Force’s requirement for more AWACS, beyond the three that you already have mounted on the IL-76 platform? What is your assessment on the requirement for such platforms, including the AEW&CS for the Indian Air Force? Do you foresee the use of more Aerostats and such airborne radars in ISR roles and what could be your ISR platforms requirement, say in 2030?

A. We have already inducted three IL-76 based AWACS and are in the process of procuring another two. The Embraer based AEW&C aircraft is nearing completion of its flight testing. The indigenous AWACS programme, AWACS (India), is currently at contract negotiation stage. We had inducted two Aerostat systems in May 2002. A case is being processed to procure additional Aerostats.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation ... 02072.html

The Indian Air Force (IAF) is setting up a base for operating airborne early warning and control aircraft at the Bhisiana Air Force Station near Bathinda.

The base will house indigenous Airborne Early Warning and Control Systems (AEW&CS) developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

The DRDO’s Bengaluru-based Centre for Airborne Systems (CABS) has developed three such systems that are mounted on the Brazilian Embraer ERJ 145 aircraft. Two of the aircraft would be based at Bhisiana while the third will remain positioned at the CABS for research and development, sources said.

Bhiasana will become the second IAF base to operate early warning aircraft after Agra, which is a home to the A-50 AWACS, which are Israeli Phalcon systems integrated with a modified Russian IL-76 heavy-lift aircraft. The IAF operates three A-50s and another two are expected next year.

Technical support and maintenance facilities are being set up at Bhisiana to cater to AEW&CS operations, for which appropriate sites are being identified. The CABS was headed by the recently appointed Director General, DRDO, Dr S Christopher. Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha had commanded the Bhisiana airbase as a Group Captain in the early 2000s.

AWACS are force multipliers and can cover a huge swath of airspace, look deep into the enemy territory, detect enemy aircraft and missiles right from the launch phase and intercept communications. Their flying altitude gives them an advantage over ground-based radar and they can provide a real time battlefield picture to commanders for decision making and counter air operations.

DRDO’s Embraer-mounted systems have limited range and capability vis-à-vis the A-50 or similar systems elsewhere. Earlier this year, the Defence Acquisition Council cleared a proposal for the purchase of two French Airbus A-330 aircraft that will be integrated with an advanced early warning and control system to be developed by the DRDO.

Pakistan has four Swedish Saab 2000 Erieye aircraft for early warning, which are similar to DRDO’s systems while China is reported to have at least 12 AWACS based upon the IL-76 and indigenous tactical aircraft, with more on order.